PDA

View Full Version : NBA admits to blown call for the 2nd time.

Tmath
01-18-2013, 07:50 PM
This is the second time this season the NBA has released a statement regarding a game deciding call against the Raptors.

Nov. 11

On the final possession of Charlotte’s 98-97 win over Toronto on Nov. 21, the game officials missed a foul by Charlotte’s Michael Kidd-Gilchrist against Toronto’s Andrea Bargnani on a jump shot. Bargnani should have been given two free throws and the clock stopped with approximately 2.4 seconds remaining in the game.

Today

With one second remaining in the fourth quarter of the Chicago Bulls-Toronto Raptors game on January 16, officials called a foul on Chicago’s Joakim Noah as Toronto’s Amir Johnson gathered the ball while driving to the basket. The officials ruled the foul was on the floor but upon review at the league office, the video replay confirmed that the foul should have been called a shooting foul with Johnson receiving two free throws.

The Raptors have been a victim of bad officiating in the past, but this season has been extremely bad.

I hope the league wakes up and does something so these things can't happen. I understand you can't get every call right, but when its a game deciding call, they should do something to make it the right call.

Cal827
01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
**** The Refs.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
This is the second time this season the NBA has released a statement regarding a game deciding call against the Raptors.

Nov. 11

Today

The Raptors have been a victim of bad officiating in the past, but this season has been extremely bad.

I hope the league wakes up and does something so these things can't happen. I understand you can't get every call right, but when its a game deciding call, they should do something to make it the right call.

Not as easy as it sounds with the current rules.

If NBA players had challenges like they did in the NFL, maybe something could be done.

Tmath
01-18-2013, 07:53 PM

If NBA players had challenges like they did in the NFL, maybe something could be done.

Well... thats exactly what I'm trying to say.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-18-2013, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't mind replay challenges for basketball.

Sly Guy
01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
it's been brutal. And this is only 2 omissions on game deciding plays. What about the other million calls that they've blown that shift momentum, or are clearly 'star calls', not just in raptor games, but league-wide?

LanceUpperCut
01-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Yeah this season has been down right brutal for us when it comes to officials. I want to see Casey just lose his **** and get thrown out the next time and since it's almost a game to game thing it could be tonight.

Six-8-TheWizard
01-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Its always the Raps :pity:

celmxc
01-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't mind replay challenges for basketball.
yeah ...this would be a really good idea ... it works for the NFL and many other sports ... the nba should try something like it

rocket
01-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Bad calls happen to every team. Excluding the elite teams.

JC_
01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Wasn't there another bad call where the ball went out of bounds off Chicago (they called it off Toronto) and after reviewing it they still gave it to the Bulls? I remember the Chicago commentators hoping that the refs would find insufficient evidence so they wouldn't be able to reverse the call.

Tmath
01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Wasn't there another bad call where the ball went out of bounds off Chicago (they called it off Toronto) and after reviewing it they still gave it to the Bulls? I remember the Chicago commentators hoping that the refs would find insufficient evidence so they wouldn't be able to reverse the call.

Yup, and also the game winner where Deng clearly pushed off before his shot.

BigBlueCrew
01-18-2013, 08:22 PM
I like PBT's article on this

------------------------------------------------

You don’t see this very often — the NBA admitting its referees blew it — so savor this moment.

Well, unless you’re a Raptors fans, then this gesture feels pretty empty.

Toronto and Chicago had gone to overtime Wednesday night and it was tied 105-105 when Luol Deng hit a shot that became the game winner. But there were 3.3 seconds left on the clock after that shot and the Raptors had one more chance.

The Raptors inbounded the ball to Amir Johnson at the top of the key, who immediately drove right with Joakim Noah on him. Noah had his right arm on Johnson, then brought his left arm through in a motion to steal the ball and clearly fouled him. Johnson gathered the ball and as he went up for a shot but slipped as he did and threw up a shot that missed. You can see the video by following this link.

The referees called the foul but said it was not in the act of shooting, they would not give the continuation even though Johnson never put the ball back on the floor after the foul and went into a shooting motion. No free throws, ball out of bounds. Jose Calderon got a rushed look at a three that he missed, and the Bulls won.

On Friday, the NBA league office said, “oops, sorry.” Here is the official statement.

“Officials called a foul on Chicago’s Joakim Noah as Toronto’s Amir Johnson gathered the ball while driving to the basket,” the NBA said in a statement. “The officials ruled the foul was on the floor but upon review at the league office, the video replay confirmed that the foul should have been called a shooting foul with Johnson receiving two free throws.”

Johnson is shooting 70 percent from the free throw line this season.

We’ll never know what would have happened. This isn’t getting replayed.

But hey Toronto, chin up — the league said they were wrong. That’s got to make you feel better, right? Right?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/nba-admits-referees-screwed-up-end-of-bulls-overtime-win-vs-raptors/

Gritz
01-18-2013, 08:26 PM
No wonder the Raptors aren't undefeated

ACanadian
01-18-2013, 08:31 PM
We better get Wiggins

Raps08-09 Champ
01-18-2013, 08:39 PM
No wonder the Raptors aren't undefeated

:laugh2:

lamzoka
01-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Allow coaches to challenge a call inside the last 2 mins. if they lost the challenge charge them with a timeout, and give the other team 1FT. if they are out of timeouts give the other team 2FTs.

Swift Game
01-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Refs blew two out of bounds plays that was clearly off of Miami. I would appreciate replay so games dont swing.

TheMoneyTeam
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
**** The Refs.

Lebron will have your head on a stake!!

beerman28
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
the refs made a lot of bs calls in that game... id say more in your favor... but at the end of the day you guys are still the raptors soo... yeah..

Tmath
01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Allow coaches to challenge a call inside the last 2 mins. if they lost the challenge charge them with a timeout, and give the other team 1FT. if they are out of timeouts give the other team 2FTs.

I agree with taking away a timeout but not giving the other team a FT, thats a bit much.

Tmath
01-18-2013, 09:06 PM
the refs made a lot of bs calls in that game... id say more in your favor... but at the end of the day you guys are still the raptors soo... yeah..

They blew 3 key calls in the last 2 minutes against the Raptors, not sure what game you watched.

DeRaptor95
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
lool wow

LGhost
01-18-2013, 09:31 PM
NBA doesn't want to lose Canada's support...

LAKobeBryant
01-18-2013, 09:31 PM
replay demands charged as timeouts like NFL? give them 1min or 30 sec to make conclusive evidence to over turn the call if not done by end of time out then leave it as it is. But these two calls should of been looked over in the replay it was at the end of the game...

NYKnickFanatic
01-18-2013, 09:41 PM
They need to expand replay IMO. Should be able to challenge calls.

Mishmin
01-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Refs are humans. Not perfect, make mistakes. Coach challenge might be a good addition to the game.

SteBO
01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
They need to expand replay IMO. Should be able to challenge calls.
That'd slow the game down too much I'd think, unless you're talking last few minutes. Even then, officials are obligated to check the replay after an iffy call within the last two minutes.

LAKobeBryant
01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
3rd NBA blown call on raptors just right now. alan anderson gets pushed out of bounds with 5 seconds left

LAKobeBryant
01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Wow blown call cost the raptors to ot

jakedajewler
01-18-2013, 10:24 PM
hahahah wow that is insane

Bigbadmoffo
01-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Make that 3 blown calls at end of game.

bklynny67
01-18-2013, 10:34 PM

I think really the only thing they would be is something like a review within the final 2 mins of the game, like they do with out of bounds calls.

jon32
01-18-2013, 10:35 PM
haha wow thats rediculous........the refs really hate the Raptors......refs alone account for about 6 or 7 losses for the raps haha

king4day
01-18-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm sure there's far more mistakes that help and hurt Toronto.
Also, what about the play where, (I forget who it was) a player dribbled, stopped, dribbled again and scored.

Bigbadmoffo
01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Nobody said it's only Toronto getting the bad calls but they are being doubled at the line and the last minute/second calls have cost them 3 potential games.

TO Rapz
01-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Amir Johnson did that. No, King.. you have no idea. Being an avid Raptors fan who watches every ball game. I'd say 70% of calls are bad, and 30% have gone "our way". The ratio has been that drastic. This season alone, the referees have cost us 3-4 games where they haven't called fouls for us taking us to the line to win it.

TO Rapz
01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
The best part is there was a push off on the GW by Deng too. Way to go refs. :laugh2:

rocket
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
LMFAO he got pushed out of bounds LOLOL

NYKnickFanatic
01-18-2013, 11:08 PM
That'd slow the game down too much I'd think, unless you're talking last few minutes. Even then, officials are obligated to check the replay after an iffy call within the last two minutes.

True. But I rather them just get it right.

jon32
01-19-2013, 12:09 AM
I just dont understand how refs are allowed to favor a team ? Analysts always say how teams " earn " calls and ****** teams wont get the same calls that a good team gets.