PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Gentry out as Phoenix coach

looka09
01-18-2013, 01:54 PM
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620

Alvin Gentry and the Suns have agreed to part ways

douglas
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
After reading the tweet, I don't think Alvin Gentry will coach the Phoenix Suns anymore.

netsgiantsyanks
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
^no.

ACanadian
01-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Douglas ain't the same no more

JPHX
01-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Gentry was a great coach. Great players coach. Suns job was beneath him. Sad to see him go but he is finally free from Adolf Sarver

Six-8-TheWizard
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
There are more Douglas related posts in here than there are Gentry ones :laugh2:

king4day
Elston Turner and Lindsey Hunter are the front runners to become the assistant.

Six-8-TheWizard
Gentry was a great coach. Great players coach. Suns job was beneath him. Sad to see him go but he is finally free from Adolf Sarver

I second this

king4day
01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
And yes, this was a reckless move on part of Sarver. Suns fans are now concerned that there will be poor moves made (like getting Gay and giving up way too much for him).

mgsports
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
You mean Interm Head Coach.

He115ing
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Well, he did not have much to work with.

JiffyMix88
01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Probably best for both parties

JNoel
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
After reading the tweet, I don't think Alvin Gentry will coach the Phoenix Suns anymore.

This.

sep11ie
01-18-2013, 03:04 PM

This.

rockbottom2010
01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
after nash left the suns, they were never the same

rocket
01-18-2013, 03:48 PM

****ing genius

JasonJohnHorn
01-18-2013, 04:20 PM
It says they agreed to part ways... I'm wondering about that.

I could understand id Gentry wanted to leave, but if this is Phoenix firing him, the timing is weird. I mean, nobody expect much from this roster this season. Losing Nash was huge, and the team was already in decline. I understand that ownership might have expected a few more wins, and maybe thought Beasley and Scola along with Dragic and Gortat made up for a decent core, but bottom line, this rosters is just not good enough to compete in the West. Firing a coach midway through a season where there was no hope of making the playoffs from the start seems odd. They might as well have kept him for the season and then looked at their options in the offseason.

Sactown
01-18-2013, 04:32 PM

I could understand id Gentry wanted to leave, but if this is Phoenix firing him, the timing is weird. I mean, nobody expect much from this roster this season. Losing Nash was huge, and the team was already in decline. I understand that ownership might have expected a few more wins, and maybe thought Beasley and Scola along with Dragic and Gortat made up for a decent core, but bottom line, this rosters is just not good enough to compete in the West. Firing a coach midway through a season where there was no hope of making the playoffs from the start seems odd. They might as well have kept him for the season and then looked at their options in the offseason.
Unless there was locker room issues with him and he just couldn't get the players on the same page. I could see the FO wanting to go in a different direction.

Fresno
01-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Thats why it was likely a mutual decision.

The Suns wanted an assistant to get a jump on coaching what should be a rebuilding Suns team although you can never guess what Phoenix thinks of their own team and Gentry most likely didn't want to finish the season as a lame duck coach without any contract extension after the season.

Its just a bad move in general that Phoenix put Gentry in this position as a coach and he still has kept them from being as bad as they should be. 13-28 with a roster that should be 5-36. The team is just absolutely terrible from the minimal star level to a lack of youth to odd pieces they don't fit together. There wasn't any move they made last offseason that made any sense and to the very end they wanted to keep Nash & Hill.

Vinylman
01-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Lakers fans will gladly send him back for Dragic and one of our firsts back

king4day
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Lakers fans will gladly send him back for Dragic and one of our firsts back

No thanks. Nash no longer adds value to a rebuilding team. You can probably still get a nice return for Nash somewhere though.

LAKobeBryant
01-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Alvin > dantoni

Why didn't you part ways earlier!!!!

mdm692
01-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Gentry's priority as a coach will always be winning games. The FO's priority after the horrendous start is to develop players and give some meaningful minutes to Marshall, Johnson and Garrett.

Losoway
01-19-2013, 12:24 AM
alvin is a great coach. i def think he didnt want to coach the suns anymore