PDA

View Full Version : NY Rangers Official Game Thread (January Version)

Pages : [1] 2

SLY WILLIAMS
01-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Sat Jan 19, 2013 Rangers vs Bruins 7:00 PM
Sun Jan 20, 2013 Penguins vs Rangers 7:00 PM
Wed Jan 23, 2013 Bruins vs Rangers 7:30 PM
Thu Jan 24, 2013 Rangers vs Flyers 7:00 PM
Sat Jan 26, 2013 Maple Leafs vs Rangers 7:00 PM
Tue Jan 29, 2013 Flyers vs Rangers 7:00 PM
Thu Jan 31, 2013 Penguins vs Rangers 7:00 PM

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8470041.jpg http://2.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8474176.jpg http://1.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8475184.jpg http://3.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8467389.jpg http://1.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8468483.jpg

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8474584.jpg http://2.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8471958.jpg http://1.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8474151.jpg http://2.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8471686.jpg http://2.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8468685.jpg

IAmARanger18
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Ready for tomorrow? I know I am!!!

Beltrans Mole
01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Ready for tomorrow? I know I am!!!

I have been ready for months man. The way they ended their season last year against the Devils, it's been making me want hockey back more than ever. I just hope we get off to a hot start this season. It's going to be important with how good our division is. Let's hope Nash is as good as advertised and Gabby gets going early! You know the KING will show up in net every night!

SLY WILLIAMS
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
It is hard to believe it is tomorrow but I'm ready!!! :)

IAmARanger18
01-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I got my blue Rick Nash jersey today, I am ready to go!!

SLY WILLIAMS
01-19-2013, 02:52 PM
I got my blue Rick Nash jersey today, I am ready to go!!

That is pretty cool. The last jersey I got was in the 1990's. I wish today was a afternoon game on NBC.

fingerbang
01-19-2013, 03:36 PM
We might finally have a good power play this year.

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
We might finally have a good power play this year.

Don't get ahead of yourself there, shooter.

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
We look like garbage

SLY WILLIAMS
01-19-2013, 08:42 PM
LOL I almost went in to this game figuring we would win every game 7-0. We have so much talent. I have to think we will come around soon....hopefully. I really like watching Hags speed. We should practice some plays to spring him for breakaways.

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 08:48 PM
One thing I have learned today... There are going to be a ton of interference calls. And how did we not score right there at the end of the period? God damn

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 09:20 PM
I had an awful feeling about this game. Such a tough first game to have. The bruins are getting after Nash too

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Our guys look scared

SLY WILLIAMS
01-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Our guys look scared

Scared physically? I haven't seen that yet. Maybe rusty and nervous.

Score!!!!!!!!!!!!

Immoknight
01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
I was watching a fight and another fight broke out... and then there was some hockey for some reason...

Interesting turn of events... Glad Richards is on the board.

Nash is really trying as well. Rest of the rangers seem tired and slow.... they are getting more physical though.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
We need to stop blocking Charas shot. Let Lundy handle them. I dont want our better players being out injured because of Charas cannon.

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 09:44 PM
That move by Nash right before the Richards goal was awesome

Immoknight
01-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Yea, was a nice move and shot attempt... looked like rust that he didn't get it in. Created a nice opening.

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 10:15 PM
What a save

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Richards hasn't won a face off all night

J4KOP99
01-19-2013, 10:33 PM
This is a disaster. Without hank we would be Down by 5 or 6

SLY WILLIAMS
01-19-2013, 10:34 PM
The good news is that we are still undefeated at home. :)

fingerbang
01-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Didn't have single good shift all night. Completely dominated.

And our power play still sucks.

metswon69
01-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Was a bad game but it gets no easier today.

I don't like all these EC games in such a short season especially the ones in division like against Pittsburgh but we will see how we bounce back.

It was Boston's home opener i expected them to come out tough.

It was good to see Nash get an assist though and Richards score a goal in their first game back.

metswon69
01-20-2013, 05:00 AM
My other concern is the transition some of these newer guys like Asham (who was suspended obviously), Halpern, Pyatt, Segal are going to have to make getting used to the Ranger system in a short time.

I don't worry about Nash so much because i think he will carry over the parts of his game that made him successful offensively in the first place.

Kreider didn't see a lot of time last night either which i don't like to be honest.

I know he is young, didn't perform well in the AHL, and Torts has a short fuse when it comes to not performing but i think they need to give him more ice time than just over 10 minutes. He has so much skill that i think they need to continue to live through the growing pains and especially get him out there on the PP.

I hope that was an aberration.

Saying that, this team still has too many moving parts that haven't had the opportunity to adjust quite yet.

metswon69
01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
I figure they will come out incredibly motivated tonight for their first home game of the year.

Raiderwood
01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
A sloppy game with the pieces not fitting together yet. I want to see who will be the 3rd enforcer as well, I miss Prust already.

Loved that half spin by Nash.. He looks like he will work well with Richards. Big game tonight!

ShadyOne
01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
One thing I felt good about, was Nash. Admittedly, I never really payed a ton of attention to him the few times we play against them over the years, but you can see the skill level. Can make a scoring chance out of basically nothing. Should be fun watching this team play, once all the pieces gel...

rocowear21
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I dont even remember when we got this segal guy. I would much rather have haley in there or another fast scoring prospect up from the ahl. The fourth linen just seemed really really slow and I have never liked rupp. Rupp looks horrible fighting.

I do want to give props to bickel for stepping up and defending callahan.

Also did anyone notice but gaborik went right back to playing right wing on most shifts, thought he was moving to left wing.
And on our pp why is richards the one taking all the shots, shouldnt that be gabs and nash. Dont get me wrong richards has a descent shot but our shooters should def be nash and gabs

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
I dont even remember when we got this segal guy. I would much rather have haley in there or another fast scoring prospect up from the ahl. The fourth linen just seemed really really slow and I have never liked rupp. Rupp looks horrible fighting.

I do want to give props to bickel for stepping up and defending callahan.

Also did anyone notice but gaborik went right back to playing right wing on most shifts, thought he was moving to left wing.
And on our pp why is richards the one taking all the shots, shouldnt that be gabs and nash. Dont get me wrong richards has a descent shot but our shooters should def be nash and gabs

The team needs to find a better way to create more space on the ice. The Rangers are loaded with firepower. We have as much as any team in the league but we play in a phone booth system so a lot of that skill goes to waste. Gabs should be on the RW not the left wing. It gives him much more room to shoot and break towards the center of the ice on his forehand.

Kreider will probably have to earn his time on that 3rd line and I would not be shocked to see him get Zuke like minutes which would be disappointing to me.

Gabs, Hags and Krieder are 3 of the fastest players in the NHL but you would not know it watching them in our system. We should be practicing ways to break them loose. Speed kills when given room.

IAmARanger18
01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Nobody wanted to play last night outside of like 4-5 players, we looked flat at times and had no pressure in their zone at all, we need to wake the **** up tonight, I did not sit through 3+ hours of abuse in the TD Garden last night to see this team play like ****, I am not worried, last year we started off 0-3 and look how we ended up! We will be fine, but we need to beat Pittsburgh tonight.

I feel Nash gets his first goal as a NYR tonight to make it 1-0 early.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
The Garden should be wild tonight. I hate that it's against the Pens, though. Such a tough back-to-back to start the season.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Keep the expectations low:

Get 1 shot on goal during this power play.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
there we go Cally... get another one!

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 08:41 PM
there we go Cally... get another one!

I wanted Nash to stay out there. I think most the other fwds did but Nash went off at around 45 seconds left in the PP. Nash showed some discipline there but I like watching him play.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 08:47 PM
God damn Bickel. You are awful

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
This is an embarrassment.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Some of these goals Lundy would have stopped when he is on top of his game.

I sure wish we would try to maximize Kreider and Hags speed more with some set homerun type plays to get them some room. They are arguable 2 of the 5 fastest guys in the league and we barely notice their speed.

NYY09
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Here comes the Yankee-style sky is falling stuff in 3....2....

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
All that will matter in this shorten season is making the playoffs. Once the playoffs start it will probably come down to who is hottest and goaltending.

This game is still far from over.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Wow Kovy and Jagr scored last night? I like that. :)

fingerbang
01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
I blame Tort's rediculous suit. He's worn it two nights in a row and that tie he's got on tonight clearly isn't working.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Has the oppositions defense been THIS good that our guys cannot find any open ice? Or are we that rusty?

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Has the oppositions defense been THIS good that our guys cannot find any open ice? Or are we that rusty?

I just think we play the game 60-80 feet at a time often instead of stretching the ice. We play a very conservative system. I do not mind seeing some of these icings if we are looking to stretch the ice more.

nystandup
01-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Man, we've been looking a step too slow these past two days

fingerbang
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
No pucks in deep, no cycling, and the defense looks terrible. Exactly how they started last year.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Here comes the Yankee-style sky is falling stuff in 3....2....

Knowing the Rangers over the years, it most likely is time to panic haha. Torts loves this conservative style because of the defense... well where the hell is the defense?

You want to say it's early in the season, who cares? Well, none of these teams had more time to get ready than we did. What is going on here? We got completely dominated last night for the entire game. So far tonight, aside from a 4 min stretch in the 1st, we have been dominated again.

We have a few new guys on offense but our entire defense is the same. Our goalie is the same. Our coach is the same. Our system is the same.

There's not even any energy right now and it's only the 2nd period of the 2nd game of the season haha

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
No pucks in deep, no cycling, and the defense looks terrible. Exactly how they started last year.

Last year was a weird start though. A huge road trip and a ton of traveling.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Nash is the only bright spot thus far. He has had some great chances.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Nash is the only bright spot thus far. He has had some great chances.

That spin was fun to watch. He has made some great moves in his career. I hope we see a lot of them this season. :)

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 09:45 PM
He's just so smart with the way he uses his body to create separation. I'm just confused as to why our defense looks this terrible.

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I think the flu ruined Richards' decision making ability.

...and a clear into the crowd lol. This is pathetic. Just don't even come out for the 3rd. Take the loss, re-group, and look forward to tomorrow's practice.

fingerbang
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Hot **** boys. Nash looks great and the rest of the team is terrible. Play like Columbus.

NYY09
01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Knowing the Rangers over the years, it most likely is time to panic haha. Torts loves this conservative style because of the defense... well where the hell is the defense?

You want to say it's early in the season, who cares? Well, none of these teams had more time to get ready than we did. What is going on here? We got completely dominated last night for the entire game. So far tonight, aside from a 4 min stretch in the 1st, we have been dominated again.

We have a few new guys on offense but our entire defense is the same. Our goalie is the same. Our coach is the same. Our system is the same.

There's not even any energy right now and it's only the 2nd period of the 2nd game of the season haha

Whats going on is its 2 games, the first two games of a long/short season. Though a fast start would have prolly got some people off some ledges...

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Lets look at the bright side. Marty has a 0.00 GAA so far. :)

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Oh man, this is awful. I don't think we had a loss like this all of last season. If Hank didn't make some insane saves last night, the score probably would have been exactly like this.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Darn I missed Nash's goal. Can anyone tell me about it?

J4KOP99
01-20-2013, 10:49 PM
It was shorthanded and he was kinda in on his own with 2 pens trailing him... went backhand to forehand and put it in the net. Pretty nice goal.

He's got insane hands and some incredible speed. As I said earlier, he has been the one bright spot thus far.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-20-2013, 11:52 PM
It was shorthanded and he was kinda in on his own with 2 pens trailing him... went backhand to forehand and put it in the net. Pretty nice goal.

He's got insane hands and some incredible speed. As I said earlier, he has been the one bright spot thus far.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the highlights. Thanks a bunch.

metswon69
01-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Eh they started 0-2 last year too.

They got 46 games to go to figure it out.

Like i said this schedule is a killer though and there is just no adjustment time.

They should bounce back against Toronto on Tuesday.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-21-2013, 11:50 AM
I guess the season starts Tuesday. I wish our exciting forwards got to play with as much room as a lot of other teams stars.

MJL80
01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Def not the way I thought we'd start the season. Parts of the 1st and 2nd periods we looked totally lost, with big spurts of play being dominated in our own end by the Pens.

I'm thinking Biron starts the next game?

metswon69
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Def not the way I thought we'd start the season. Parts of the 1st and 2nd periods we looked totally lost, with big spurts of play being dominated in our own end by the Pens.

I'm thinking Biron starts the next game?

I would doubt they would want to start 0-3 with their best goaltender on the bench and although Biron played much better than Lundqvist last night i still think they go with Henrik.

It's too early to start worrying about his days off.

bsi
01-21-2013, 12:08 PM
We need an upgrade on D for Bickel. I know he fights for us but he's terrible as a defenseman. Anyone can go wide on him. Having said that it's not all his fault. I thought Nash finally looked comfortable out there in the second yesterday. When they loaded up the first line we had some good pressure, I don't understand why Torts doesn't start the game like that instead of waiting until it's too late. Put those three out for their first 3 or 4 shifts of the game and see if you can catch the other team sleeping. Other than that I just think our team is out of shape and they will get better. Only problem is that we only have 46 games left.

dalers08
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
They should bounce back against Toronto on Tuesday.

I guess the season starts Tuesday.

Isn't our next game at home against Boston on Wednesday?

metswon69
01-21-2013, 04:17 PM

Yeah my bad Google had the schedule listed wrong when i looked at it..

It is Wednesday against Boston but either way i expect them to come out much better than they did the last 2 nights.

IAmARanger18
01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Outside of Nash and Callahan, every player looks like ****, including Hank, needs to change ASAP.

Garden Faithful
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
We need an upgrade on D for Bickel. I know he fights for us but he's terrible as a defenseman. Anyone can go wide on him. Having said that it's not all his fault. I thought Nash finally looked comfortable out there in the second yesterday. When they loaded up the first line we had some good pressure, I don't understand why Torts doesn't start the game like that instead of waiting until it's too late. Put those three out for their first 3 or 4 shifts of the game and see if you can catch the other team sleeping. Other than that I just think our team is out of shape and they will get better. Only problem is that we only have 46 games left.

Couldn't agree more, having Bickel out there is like playing with 4.5 players on the ice. He gets beat out wide anytime an opposing forward goes out wide. Gilroy or Eminger would be a massive step up from him. Sometimes I simply don't understand what Torts sees in certain players because he loves Bickel. The other thing that one could say about Bickel is that he will fight and stick up for his teammates but with Rupp and Asham in the lineup I don't think that's necessary at all.

Aside from that we just look flat and look like a team with a bunch of new players which is the case. It may take a week or two but we will get back on track with the talent we have. Don't forget we don't have to win the conference, it's all about just getting to the playoffs. I'm not saying that I'm lowering expectations I expect to be a top 4 seed but in reality all we have to do is make the playoffs so no need to panic.

IAmARanger18
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
And now Bickel may be moved to 4th line wing tomorrow -________- Asham is sidelined with a groin injury, Bickel needs to be cut, he is awful.

metswon69
01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
And now Bickel may be moved to 4th line wing tomorrow -________- Asham is sidelined with a groin injury, Bickel needs to be cut, he is awful.

They should play Eminger there if that's the case, they did it last year.

I don't get it for a team that has the type of minor league depth the Rangers have that they can't find an alternative to Bickel on the 4th line wing.

Even play Haley there..

SLY WILLIAMS
01-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Yes I misspoke. I was following a previous post. I actually posted the full schedule for the whole month in the beginning of this thread so I have no excuse for my mistake. Bad Sly. Bad Sly. :)

IAmARanger18
01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
They should play Eminger there if that's the case, they did it last year.

I don't get it for a team that has the type of minor league depth the Rangers have that they can't find an alternative to Bickel on the 4th line wing.

Even play Haley there..

Just from the Whale alone I rather see these guys get called up over Bickel on the 4th line.

Bourque
Haley
Kolarik
Newbury
Miller
Segal
Thomas
Yogan

Any1 of them over Bickel.

fingerbang
01-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Practice lines from yesterday:

Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, Rick Nash
Chris Kreider, Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan
Carl Hagelin, Brian Boyle, Taylor Pyatt
Mike Rupp, Jeff Halpern, Stu Bickel

I still think Gabo should be separated from Nash so that we have two solid scoring lines. Swap Kreider and Gaborik. I like Hagelin on the third, chasing down pucks in the corners is his specialty.

IAmARanger18
01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Great Bickel on line 4.

ShadyOne
01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Kreider, Stepan, and Callahan should be more than capable of scoring goals. Obviously Kreider has skill, and both Stepan and Callahan have easy 20+ goal ability (in a full season of course)..

Not saying I don't agree with splitting Gabs and Nash. But that second line should be more than capable of finding the net. And I also agree with Hagelin. He is a speed player, but not so much a skill guy. He should be on a line that is all about the forecheck, and pressure. Let Gaborik and Nash find open ice and do what they do...

SLY WILLIAMS
01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
This team is loaded with firepower. I just want it to be set loose in a more entertaining system.

Gabs
Richards
Nash
Hags
Cally
Kreider
Stepan
Boyle

Those are 8 guys capable of scoring 20-50 goals each in various seasons.

NYR_NYJ
01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Great start!!
Keep it up, this line is giving me a chubby:speechless:

nystandup
01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Off to a great start.

J4KOP99
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I just turned it on, I heard one of the Gabby goals was beautiful.

J4KOP99
01-23-2013, 09:38 PM
keep taking penalties and see what happens...

fingerbang
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Pyatt for the Rocket.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I just got in. What have I missed? :)

Immoknight
01-23-2013, 10:42 PM
I will never see a worse 5 vs 3 in my entire life...

Immoknight
01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
You missed Gaborik rewinding the clock and scoring 2 in the 1st... and the Bruins rocking us in the 2nd... and we were lucky to get the lead back before it was over...

Otherwise... a pretty lathargic power play... but a lot more lively 1st period than the past 2 games combined. The 2nd period was back to normal for them.

fingerbang
01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Nash, Richards, Gaborik, and DZ and the power play still sucks. Torts couldn't run a good power play if they added Crosby.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-23-2013, 10:45 PM
You missed Gaborik rewinding the clock and scoring 2 in the 1st... and the Bruins rocking us in the 2nd... and we were lucky to get the lead back before it was over...

Otherwise... a pretty lathargic power play... but a lot more lively 1st period than the past 2 games combined. The 2nd period was back to normal for them.

Any good moments for Nash-Hags-Kreider? Did we stretch/open the ice at all?

NYR_NYJ
01-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Same old Rangers PP
Nash is a beast though!

J4KOP99
01-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Thank the lord! I wanted Nash to have that one at the end so badly, though.

Immoknight
01-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Wow, what an ending. Uhm, wish it didn't have to go to OT but I am ecstatic about this win. Long overdue... ;)

As for the lines, I am pretty sure it was Nash-Richards-Gaborik... Kreider isn't getting as much ice time as I would've hoped he would. That 1st period, every line looked dominant and we were moving the puck around the ice so easily, resulting in quality chances. 2nd period, regressed and went all lackadaisical.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-23-2013, 11:24 PM
I often get frustrated by the teams system, lines and minute allocation but a win is a win. Gabs had a huge night. Hope to see more minutes for Nash/Hags/Kreider soon. :)

NYR_NYJ
01-23-2013, 11:59 PM
i think Kreieder was riding the bench do to bad penalties

metswon69
01-24-2013, 03:25 AM
I often get frustrated by the teams system, lines and minute allocation but a win is a win. Gabs had a huge night. Hope to see more minutes for Nash/Hags/Kreider soon. :)

Yeah i don't know if that's because of Tortorella's emphasis on the defensive end.

It has to be because with Hagelin's and Kreider's speed they should be out there more.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Kreider's been a defensive liability. He'll figure it out eventually but we need him to help us out right now. He's scratched tonight and he could potentially be sent down.

bsi
01-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Kreider hasn't had a good year. It often happens to college players as they get used to the grind of a long AHL/NHL season. He'll be alright but I expect he'll be staying with the team but not playing until he gets it in practice. Rangers traded Chad Kolarik today as well for Ben Ferriero. Not sure if that means anything but Ferriero is Tort's type of player.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Kreider's been a defensive liability. He'll figure it out eventually but we need him to help us out right now. He's scratched tonight and he could potentially be sent down.

Kreider hasn't had a good year. It often happens to college players as they get used to the grind of a long AHL/NHL season. He'll be alright but I expect he'll be staying with the team but not playing until he gets it in practice. Rangers traded Chad Kolarik today as well for Ben Ferriero. Not sure if that means anything but Ferriero is Tort's type of player.

I do not like this much. I think Kreider will learn more in the NHL like many high draft picks that may only score 5-10 goals in their first season. He can learn from being around other NHL players as well as in practice. I also do not like this Torts type of player stuff. It seems that skill players are not thought of as Torts types of players but guys that grind grind grind are. The best coaches in the world say how can I put my players in the position to succeed best not how can I change certain players for my system. That's exactly what ESPN was speaking about today in regards to a current NBA coach that used to coach the Knicks.

bsi
01-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I do not like this much. I think Kreider will learn more in the NHL like many high draft picks that may only score 5-10 goals in their first season. He can learn from being around other NHL players as well as in practice. I also do not like this Torts type of player stuff. It seems that skill players are not thought of as Torts types of players but guys that grind grind grind are. The best coaches in the world say how can I put my players in the position to succeed best not how can I change certain players for my system. That's exactly what ESPN was speaking about today in regards to a current NBA coach that used to coach the Knicks.

If Kreider is gonna be here and not able to play on the top two lines he's gotta figure out how to play hard on the third line and be defensively sound. He's better off getting big minutes in the AHL again and building his confidence instead of being benched in the NHL for poor defensive decisions. I mean if he can't add offensively and he can't add defensively he's not really helping this team win.

Thing is Kreider knows what's expected of him, he's played here in the playoffs. For some reason he showed up to the AHL not ready for the season as he's not really had a good year to start and personally I think the only reason he made the Rangers was that Tortorella assumed he knew the system and it's a short season, because he didn't earn it in the AHL this year, if that were the measuring stick Newbury would have made it instead. Really having played all year he should have had an advantage over the current NHL guys like Hagelin, Pyatt etc, but he hasn't played as well as those guys. My problem with keeping him around is that if he's not ready, which he appears not to be, we burn a year of his entry level contract if he plays in the NHL. I know he'll be good some day but this might be a necessary wake up call for him that everything isn't going to be handed to him.

When I was talking about a "Torts style player" I was talking about a guy that fits the third line role, I mean we've lost some of our better penalty killers, shot blockers and forecheckers in Prust, Anisimov, and Dubinsky. So far Halpern hasn't been the best replacement and ofcourse Asham is there pretty much for the fighting. Pyatt has played well but I think we need a little more sandpaper and intensity on our third line. There was a good quote the other day when someone said that the Rangers third line would suffer this year as if you were to make a trade of Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prust for Halpern, Asham, and Pyatt people would think you lost your mind, and that's what happened to our bottom 6. The key to that was the hope that Kreider would show up ready to play like he did in playoffs last year and either him or Hagelin would take a spot on the third line, but it looks like Hagelin is the only one of those two that showed up ready this year. I love Kreider's skill level, but he has to man up.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm tired of the grind grind grind. I'm also tired of losing good skill players to injury over shot blocks. Kreider might gain from the AHL or he might not. He was there for most the season so far. I have seen several good players only score a few goals in their first season but their teams stuck with them and they had much better 2nd and third years. It is good to be good defensively but Torts emphasis on defense reminds me of the past NJ Devils trapping teams. They won a lot of games but were boring as heck to watch. If I was a skill player I would prefer to play on a team like the Kings or Penguins where you have the freedom to create and make some mistakes occasionally. This team has as much firepower as any team in the league but we play for 1 goal wins instead of trying to blow teams away with superior firepower. I'm at a place where I want to be entertained. Gabs, Richards, Nash, Hags, etc have so much skill. I just want to see them have more room to be creative.

bsi
01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm tired of the grind grind grind. I'm also tired of losing good skill players to injury over shot blocks. Kreider might gain from the AHL or he might not. He was there for most the season so far. I have seen several good players only score a few goals in their first season but their teams stuck with them and they had much better 2nd and third years. It is good to be good defensively but Torts emphasis on defense reminds me of the past NJ Devils trapping teams. They won a lot of games but were boring as heck to watch. If I was a skill player I would prefer to play on a team like the Kings or Penguins where you have the freedom to create and make some mistakes occasionally. This team has as much firepower as any team in the league but we play for 1 goal wins instead of trying to blow teams away with superior firepower. I'm at a place where I want to be entertained. Gabs, Richards, Nash, Hags, etc have so much skill. I just want to see them have more room to be creative.

Well our top two lines are skill, our 3rd line ideally is a combination of responsible players who can also score. It's the basic template for successful teams. I don't think that Gaborik, Nash, Richards and Hagelin were being held back last night by any stretch of the imagination, I thought they were given free reign to do as they wanted. Even Pyatt and Callahan were offensively pushing it. Last night was entertaining as hell, but if you notice it was when our 3rd and 4th lines got out that we were pinned in our own end, that's the problem. A guy like Kreider has to be better defensively so the puck can gain some momentum the other way so they can get some pressure in the other end. If he doesn't do the job in our own end it'll stay there and that I'm sure is what's frustrating to you as it is to me. Pyatt being moved up last night definately helped getting that line going.
Having said all that I don't think Kreider is about to be sent down, just yet anyway. Calling up Newbury is just creating time for Tortorella to work with Kreider and mold him into the type of player he needs to be to help this team go to the cup final. I think this is just a way to teach Kreider what Torts wants without sending him down. Hopefully he reacts the right way to this.

runnermjr1296
01-24-2013, 05:37 PM
looks to me like #61 is the real deal:clap:

bsi
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Was never any doubt in my mind. He opens up ice for Gaborik too, when them three are together it's hard to defend against, who do you cover? Would like to see Hagelin get some scoring though.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM
If Kreider is gonna be here and not able to play on the top two lines he's gotta figure out how to play hard on the third line and be defensively sound. He's better off getting big minutes in the AHL again and building his confidence instead of being benched in the NHL for poor defensive decisions. I mean if he can't add offensively and he can't add defensively he's not really helping this team win.

Thing is Kreider knows what's expected of him, he's played here in the playoffs. For some reason he showed up to the AHL not ready for the season as he's not really had a good year to start and personally I think the only reason he made the Rangers was that Tortorella assumed he knew the system and it's a short season, because he didn't earn it in the AHL this year, if that were the measuring stick Newbury would have made it instead. Really having played all year he should have had an advantage over the current NHL guys like Hagelin, Pyatt etc, but he hasn't played as well as those guys. My problem with keeping him around is that if he's not ready, which he appears not to be, we burn a year of his entry level contract if he plays in the NHL. I know he'll be good some day but this might be a necessary wake up call for him that everything isn't going to be handed to him.

When I was talking about a "Torts style player" I was talking about a guy that fits the third line role, I mean we've lost some of our better penalty killers, shot blockers and forecheckers in Prust, Anisimov, and Dubinsky. So far Halpern hasn't been the best replacement and ofcourse Asham is there pretty much for the fighting. Pyatt has played well but I think we need a little more sandpaper and intensity on our third line. There was a good quote the other day when someone said that the Rangers third line would suffer this year as if you were to make a trade of Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prust for Halpern, Asham, and Pyatt people would think you lost your mind, and that's what happened to our bottom 6. The key to that was the hope that Kreider would show up ready to play like he did in playoffs last year and either him or Hagelin would take a spot on the third line, but it looks like Hagelin is the only one of those two that showed up ready this year. I love Kreider's skill level, but he has to man up.

The NHL is a learning process. Sometimes kids show up and are good to go but sometimes they do not and have to mature. Mike Bossy was not strong defensively as a rookie or in his 2nd year. He did not hit nor block shots. Al Arbor was a guy who knew defense and hitting was important but he gave Bossy space. Gretzky played professional for years before the NHL but as a rookie he was not strong defensively. He did not hit or block shots. Sometimes you have to teach guys but also understand that many good skill players may not be Bob Gainey in their own end. If given coaching and encouragement they can learn they also need some patience as well. Shanny scored around 7 goals as a rookie but the Devils let him mature. Kreider has huge physical skills but he may never be more than a 30 goal scorer looking at his past. I'd rather work with him and build his confidence instead of trying to turn him in to a Brian Boyle.

I do think this system dulls down skill players. A team with Nash, Richards, Gabs, Hags, MDZ, and McDonnah should not struggle on power plays or 5 on 3's for season after season. When I watched the Kings last playoff season I saw them take so many chances in their own end. It looked irresponsible to me after watching the Rangers but it was a lot more entertaining to watch and I think their players probably had more fun playing it.

I'm not against Kreider going to the AHL. I'm just disappointed that so much emphasis is placed on grind grind grind, side board side board side board, and it leaves little room for individual creativity (never mind open ice).

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 06:16 PM

If you think he looks good now look at some of his highlights on youtube. The guy has made some really great breakaway and 1 on one moves in his career. So far he has shown glimpses. I hope we can see a lot more. I thought on the Team Canada that was stacked top to bottom that he was one of if not their best player in the past.

metswon69
01-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Yep the Rangers have too much skill at this point to be playing the games you mentioned. The constant grind, with 1 goal games, and when they are down 3-0 or 4-1 there is basically zero chance for them to come back because of the style of hockey they play (knowing that its difficult to come back from those scores regardless of the system but its seems like with the Rangers especially). Everything is difficult in the offensive zone unless a guy like Gaborik creates or Richards finds some space.

The other question is when is this PP gonna improve?

They brought Nash in, Richards is getting more time at the point, and they have skill guys like Hags who in open space could and should be an asset and yet they still can't score.

I know it's early and i am still confident they are without a doubt a top 4 seed in the EC but i don't like how hard our style of hockey is sometimes. We ran out of gas last year because the accumulation of close drag out games really got to us.

I know this team is built on defense, goaltending, two way play, blocking shots, etc etc but the personnel change offensively should allow us to do some different things and maybe take some of that pressure off of those said strengths.

bsi
01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
The NHL is a learning process. Sometimes kids show up and are good to go but sometimes they do not and have to mature. Mike Bossy was not strong defensively as a rookie or in his 2nd year. He did not hit nor block shots. Al Arbor was a guy who knew defense and hitting was important but he gave Bossy space. Gretzky played professional for years before the NHL but as a rookie he was not strong defensively. He did not hit or block shots. Sometimes you have to teach guys but also understand that many good skill players may not be Bob Gainey in their own end. If given coaching and encouragement they can learn they also need some patience as well. Shanny scored around 7 goals as a rookie but the Devils let him mature. Kreider has huge physical skills but he may never be more than a 30 goal scorer looking at his past. I'd rather work with him and build his confidence instead of trying to turn him in to a Brian Boyle.

I do think this system dulls down skill players. A team with Nash, Richards, Gabs, Hags, MDZ, and McDonnah should not struggle on power plays or 5 on 3's for season after season. When I watched the Kings last playoff season I saw them take so many chances in their own end. It looked irresponsible to me after watching the Rangers but it was a lot more entertaining to watch and I think their players probably had more fun playing it.

I'm not against Kreider going to the AHL. I'm just disappointed that so much emphasis is placed on grind grind grind, side board side board side board, and it leaves little room for individual creativity (never mind open ice).

Kreider won't be going to AHL just yet, I think this is more of a step back for him from Torts to refocus and maybe watch the game and see from a different perspective of what the coach is expecting. Kreider's confidence won't gain anything if he's sitting on the bench game in and out and hearing the ranting of Torts.

To your point about star players not blocking shots and whatever, we never see Gaborik or Nash blocking shots. I think everyone is oversensitive to our system where we think that every line has to be Brandon Prust type player. That's not the case. Our 3rd line was blocking shots and held up in their own end not because Torts told them to, it was because they didn't effectively get the puck out like the 1st and the 2nd line later on once Pyatt joined it. Kreider was a part of that, Boyle was a part of that, Halpern etc were all parts of that. The reason the 1st line gets more chances is because they are better at getting out of their own end, something Torts wants Kreider to "get". If his line spent less time in their own end and more in the opposite end of the ice there wouldn't be a problem. When you get out against Crosby, Malkin and Neal or Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, you have to do the simple things to get the puck out of your end otherwise you are forced to sit back and block shots in the hopes they don't score. You have to admit our second line had a lot more offensive chances once Pyatt was put there instead of Kreider.

I think everyone wants Kreider to be Rick Nash right now, he's not, he will probably never be, but he has more to offer than he's been showing, and I don't just mean the last three games, I mean all year with the Whale. He should have been their best player but as it was he was about their 4th best forward. I'm not willing to just hand Kreider the keys to the dressingroom just because he's "supposed" to be good, he should have to earn his spot like everyone else in the room, up to this point he hasn't earned anything, he might have to step it up to stay here. As I said before I think this is just a message to him that he needs to be better, and maybe if he watches the game like DelZotto and Hagelin both had to do from upstairs he might understand where his mistakes are coming from.

BTW Sly, I hope we can come out with a win tonight. Need to get on a roll.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Kreider won't be going to AHL just yet, I think this is more of a step back for him from Torts to refocus and maybe watch the game and see from a different perspective of what the coach is expecting. Kreider's confidence won't gain anything if he's sitting on the bench game in and out and hearing the ranting of Torts.

To your point about star players not blocking shots and whatever, we never see Gaborik or Nash blocking shots. I think everyone is oversensitive to our system where we think that every line has to be Brandon Prust type player. That's not the case. Our 3rd line was blocking shots and held up in their own end not because Torts told them to, it was because they didn't effectively get the puck out like the 1st and the 2nd line later on once Pyatt joined it. Kreider was a part of that, Boyle was a part of that, Halpern etc were all parts of that. The reason the 1st line gets more chances is because they are better at getting out of their own end, something Torts wants Kreider to "get". If his line spent less time in their own end and more in the opposite end of the ice there wouldn't be a problem. When you get out against Crosby, Malkin and Neal or Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, you have to do the simple things to get the puck out of your end otherwise you are forced to sit back and block shots in the hopes they don't score. You have to admit our second line had a lot more offensive chances once Pyatt was put there instead of Kreider.

I think everyone wants Kreider to be Rick Nash right now, he's not, he will probably never be, but he has more to offer than he's been showing, and I don't just mean the last three games, I mean all year with the Whale. He should have been their best player but as it was he was about their 4th best forward. I'm not willing to just hand Kreider the keys to the dressingroom just because he's "supposed" to be good, he should have to earn his spot like everyone else in the room, up to this point he hasn't earned anything, he might have to step it up to stay here. As I said before I think this is just a message to him that he needs to be better, and maybe if he watches the game like DelZotto and Hagelin both had to do from upstairs he might understand where his mistakes are coming from.

BTW Sly, I hope we can come out with a win tonight. Need to get on a roll.

I'm sure we can win with this style. I just do not find it very entertaining and I feel it keeps most games close. Cally doesnt play 3rd line. He has been injured multiple times blocking shots. One of the first things the coaches told Kreider when he came up last season was about blocking shots. Pyatt is a veteran so I'm not surprised that he would have an edge on Kreider so early in Kreider's career. I just have a different mindset from an entertainment point of view and the long term success of a kid. Kids can make mistakes and learn from them even if it causes a loss or 2. The thing is if we played a more offensive minded strategy we could also probably overcome some mistakes. I think we should be encouraging Hags and Kreider to be offensive players while teaching them the defensive side of the ice but the over emphasis on grind grind grind side board side board is not my cup of tea. Kreider and Hags are 2 of the 5 fastest guys in the NHL. Why don't we look to spring them for some home run passes? Torts is a very solid coach. I just do not like this 60 feet at a time play in a phone booth style. Also keep in mind its pretty crazy to work so hard to get the puck and then just dump it away again. There is a time and place for grinding and cycling as well as dump and chase. I'd just prefer a little less of it. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Yep the Rangers have too much skill at this point to be playing the games you mentioned. The constant grind, with 1 goal games, and when they are down 3-0 or 4-1 there is basically zero chance for them to come back because of the style of hockey they play (knowing that its difficult to come back from those scores regardless of the system but its seems like with the Rangers especially). Everything is difficult in the offensive zone unless a guy like Gaborik creates or Richards finds some space.

The other question is when is this PP gonna improve?

They brought Nash in, Richards is getting more time at the point, and they have skill guys like Hags who in open space could and should be an asset and yet they still can't score.

I know it's early and i am still confident they are without a doubt a top 4 seed in the EC but i don't like how hard our style of hockey is sometimes. We ran out of gas last year because the accumulation of close drag out games really got to us.

I know this team is built on defense, goaltending, two way play, blocking shots, etc etc but the personnel change offensively should allow us to do some different things and maybe take some of that pressure off of those said strengths.

I agree with you. If Lundy is the best goalie in the league why do we have to play so conservatively? Loosen things up a bit. Stretch the ice sometimes. Let the great talent we have show up and beat teams instead of these brutal 1 goal wins. In regards to the power play we have had a lot of firepower for a while. At some point the PP game plan should be looked at because the talent is there.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Nothing wrong with grinding. Get the puck in deep and play in the opposition's end as much as possible. The Rangers play like **** when they're not grinding.

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 08:12 PM
MSG Networks new scoreboard sucks. I meant to say that the other day.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Nothing wrong with grinding. Get the puck in deep and play in the opposition's end as much as possible. The Rangers play like **** when they're not grinding.

You are right. There is nothing wrong with it. I said there is a time and place for it. I just do not find the over emphahsis on it to be entertaining. I actually find watching some other teams like the Penguins, Detroit, LA, to be more entertaining to watch at times and that is nuts since I have been a diehard NY Rangers fan since the 1970's. I like to see fast skating, stick handling, creative passing, etc some times. I want to see guys like Kreider, Hags and Gabs on some breakaways. Sometimes I would root for the shootouts instead of a OT win because at least then I can see some individual skills.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 08:13 PM
MSG Networks new scoreboard sucks. I meant to say that the other day.

You are like the 5th person I have known that has said that. Did they say why they changed it?

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 08:18 PM
You are like the 5th person I have known that has said that. Did they say why they changed it?

Not that I have heard. It looks terrible though. It looks as if it isn't even fully where it is supposed to be. Some of the top looks cut off.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Not that I have heard. It looks terrible though. It looks as if it isn't even fully where it is supposed to be. Some of the top looks cut off.

Its so weird how stuff like that can get noticed by fans right away but often takes the people in charge a long time to realize. I bet it gets corrected in some way but not for a while.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 08:37 PM
They look slow

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 08:37 PM
They look slow

+1

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Good thing: 0-0

Bad Thing: We look awful

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 08:53 PM
They look slow

LOL Gabs, Hags, Kreider (I know he is out), Mcdonah. With those 4 players we should never look slow!!! 4 of the best skaters in the NHL. Come on please free the speed!!! :)

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 08:59 PM
LOL Gabs, Hags, Kreider (I know he is out), Mcdonah. With those 4 players we should never look slow!!! 4 of the best skaters in the NHL. Come on please free the speed!!! :)

We can't even seem to get the damn puck sly... it will be a long time before we see set plays to free up Gabby, Hags, and Kreider.

This team has a lot to work on.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
We can't even seem to get the damn puck sly... it will be a long time before we see set plays to free up Gabby, Hags, and Kreider.

This team has a lot to work on.

I agree with you but freeing them up by stretching the ice never seems to be the strategy. If the ice is stretched then the other teams dmen will not be keeping the puck in near as often.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
I think the bruins beat them up a little bit.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Lundy

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
1-0 Flyers. Only 2nd lead Flyers have had this season.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 09:35 PM
I cant stand guys fighting while wearing a visor. The other player has almost no place to punch without possibly breaking their hand.

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Lol, we suck

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Lol, we suck

Make me coach. I cant promise a cup but I promise we will play exciting run and gun hockey with plenty of goals (and some fights). :)

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
We have 13 shots on goal. I'd say that only 1 of them (stepans chance) was a legitimate scoring chance. Absolutely pathetic effort yet again from this rangers team.

We are making the flyers look like the early 00's Devils teams haha

Immoknight
01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
I cant stand guys fighting while wearing a visor. The other player has almost no place to punch without possibly breaking their hand.

I can't stand a player looking for a fight and getting a penalty in the process...

Lackadaisical looking play thus far. I only got to watch from the 8 minute mark, which was just in time to see them review the Simone goal.

What did I miss?

JdKing7
01-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Seriously, i was thinking the same thing. Worst part of it for me was listening to the commentators praising him for how he fights all the time and how he got the better of Newbury. Fair enough but they forgot to mention how the pansy is wearing a visor and Newbury had no room room to connect with his face without hitting the visor.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 09:42 PM
First line needs to show up

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 09:45 PM
I can't stand a player looking for a fight and getting a penalty in the process...

Lackadaisical looking play thus far. I only got to watch from the 8 minute mark, which was just in time to see them review the Simone goal.

What did I miss?

I'm not sure you really missed anything.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Seriously, i was thinking the same thing. Worst part of it for me was listening to the commentators praising him for how he fights all the time and how he got the better of Newbury. Fair enough but they forgot to mention how the pansy is wearing a visor and Newbury had no room room to connect with his face without hitting the visor.

Its ridiculous. Guys know if they hit the helmet or the visor there is a good chance they break their hands. It must be so frustrating. Guys should remove their buckets before fighting if they wear a visor.

J4KOP99
01-24-2013, 09:49 PM

What did I miss?

Nothing good, rangers related.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Pyatt another step closer to the rocket.

Immoknight
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Wow, that was a legit looking powerplay aside from the odd man rush that was caused by bad luck in the form of Gaborik having his stick break.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Very nice pass by Gabs! Nice to see Pyatt having a good start this season.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
That was a really bad call in my opinion. We caught a break. 4 minute PP.

SLY WILLIAMS
Now another call. Rangers have a 5 on 3 now.

fingerbang
Quit cheatin, lol.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Quit cheatin, lol.

I don't get it??? Who is cheating?

Immoknight
And their power player takes another step back after looking decent for once...

Rangers strategy on a 5 vs 3:

1) Pass it around for 3/4's of that time, and by pass it around. Do it in a very un-frightening manner, approximately half a mile from the goal.
2) Whatever you do, don't shoot unless there is someone in front of you.
3) If you are confused, refer to rule #1.

ohbilly2134

The Rangers... they're cheating themselves...

We can't score on a 5-on-3...come onnnnn!!!!

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Fly guys but i was being somewhat sarcastic bc of a questionable call.

I remember the good ole days when sam used to say, "its a power play goal."

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:27 PM
And their power player takes another step back after looking decent for once...

Rangers strategy on a 5 vs 3:

1) Pass it around for 3/4's of that time, and by pass it around. Do it in a very un-frightening manner, approximately half a mile from the goal.
2) Whatever you do, don't shoot unless there is someone in front of you.
3) If you are confused, refer to rule #1.

At least they spread out a bit on the 5 on 3. When it was 5 on 4 they basically cut the ice in half making them much easier to cover. Still plenty of time to tie this game up. Flyers are not playing that great either.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Fly guys but i was being somewhat sarcastic bc of a questionable call.

I remember the good ole days when sam used to say, "its a power play goal."

Did you think that 4 minute was a good call? At first it looked like a possible check from behind by MDZ.

Sam will say its a power play goal plenty this season. Gabs, Richards and Nash can only be denied so long. Too much talent not to succeed if given room.

fingerbang
01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Did you think that 4 minute was a good call? At first it looked like a possible check from behind by MDZ.

Sam will say its a power play goal plenty this season. Gabs, Richards and Nash can only be denied so long. Too much talent not to succeed if given room.

I think our coaching kills our power play. Two years ago we thought we needed a puck mover so we brought in richards. Last year we say we need another sniper so we bring in nash. The scheme still blows.

Congrats philly took ya long enough.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Looking at the Flyers I barely recognize their team outside of guys like Gireax, Simmonds, and Schen. We will get them next time. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
I think our coaching kills our power play. Two years ago we thought we needed a puck mover so we brought in richards. Last year we say we need another sniper so we bring in nash. The scheme still blows.

I agree 100%. The talent is there for sure. They just play a very predictable setup and they do not space the ice correctly. They make it easy for 1 dman to cover 2 forwards down low.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Next game is Saturday night versus the Leafs I believe.

Person Of Interest time. I am Mr. Reese. :)

metswon69
01-24-2013, 11:05 PM
I didn't expect them to continue that run they had against the Flyers they had last year.

Was a tough game but i expect them to bounce back versus the Leafs.

oak2455
01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Short season need to wake up and fast

bsi
01-25-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm sure we can win with this style. I just do not find it very entertaining and I feel it keeps most games close. Cally doesnt play 3rd line. He has been injured multiple times blocking shots. One of the first things the coaches told Kreider when he came up last season was about blocking shots. Pyatt is a veteran so I'm not surprised that he would have an edge on Kreider so early in Kreider's career. I just have a different mindset from an entertainment point of view and the long term success of a kid. Kids can make mistakes and learn from them even if it causes a loss or 2. The thing is if we played a more offensive minded strategy we could also probably overcome some mistakes. I think we should be encouraging Hags and Kreider to be offensive players while teaching them the defensive side of the ice but the over emphasis on grind grind grind side board side board is not my cup of tea. Kreider and Hags are 2 of the 5 fastest guys in the NHL. Why don't we look to spring them for some home run passes? Torts is a very solid coach. I just do not like this 60 feet at a time play in a phone booth style. Also keep in mind its pretty crazy to work so hard to get the puck and then just dump it away again. There is a time and place for grinding and cycling as well as dump and chase. I'd just prefer a little less of it. :)

Callahan blocks shots because he's the captain and it's his style of play really. I don't think anyone would call Callahan a goal scorer or a set up guy though he does that too but he got to the NHL by being abrasive and tough to play against in both ends. Most of our games are close because we have a lack of scoring on our LW, something Kreider was supposed to address this year but he's spent the first part of the year in the AHL playing against lesser players and didn't even do much scoring there.

My opinion of what you're saying about Kreider and Hags is that Kreider isn't ready to be a superstar just yet and I don't find that Hags has much scoring ability, he's got great wheels to get in on the forecheck but I honestly think that if Kreider had of shown up better prepared to play he would have taken Hagelin's spot with Richards and Nash and Hagelin would have been dropped down a line or two.

Grinding it out has a negative conotation to it but it's really just a tool to wear down the other teams D and make them second guess and speed up their decision making when they head for a corner. If we didn't have players that did that the puck would come out of the other end so fast it'd spin your head. That's pretty much what the third line and fourth line's dual purpose is, don't get scored on and make their D nervous. With Kreider, he's not ready to ride shotgun with our top two lines, so in order to keep him around and work on him he has to play 3rd line, and if he's on the 3rd line he's expected to work with the rest of the line in order to achieve their goal. If our 3rd line isn't defensively responsible, especially in a road game without the last change, players like Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Lucic, Marchand, Bergeron, Neal will have a field day with our team. So with a shortened season and playoffs on the line, I'm not upset if Kreider has to take a step back to take two steps forward when he makes glaring errors that cost us goals, it's the only way he'll learn to become more of a complete player. Ignoring the problems in his game won't help him or the team. :cheers:

bsi
01-25-2013, 01:47 PM

I agree and it baffles my mind really. We have probably one of the best players to put in front of the net in the league in Boyle and they rarely have anyone in front. At his size he creates a huge blindspot for the goalie and he's got pretty decent hands and I just don't understand the logic of not using him as a net presence. Having said that I think they have to decide to let Nash take the puck into the other end, he seems to be the only one able to enter the zone easy and when he gets in there he's hard to get it from.

bsi
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Please beat the Leafs, I get hell for it when either the Leafs or Canadiens beat them here in Canada :mad:

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Opposing teams only have to defend 60 feet of the ice at a time vs the Rangers. It makes it easier on them and harder for the Rangers to get the puck out of their own end. The NHL took out the 2 line pass. You want to stop the other teams dmen from keeping the puck in so often? Float Gabs, Kreider, Hags, and Nash outside the zone a few times a game. The other teams bench will be screaming at their dmen to get back and cover them. You do not do that all the time. You do not do that with every player. There is a time and place for everything. Just like grinding and cycling. It is about moderation and balance. It should not be 100% of one aspect of the game and 0% of another aspect of the game. Stretch the ice. Open up the ice. I could guard Kreider if I only had to cover him 5 feet at a time. Speed kills but it doesn't kill inside the hash marks. Players do not skate full speed inside the hashmarks and rarely inside the blue lines. Speed kills in the neutral zone. Free our speed players. Maximize their speed.

bsi
01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Looks like Kreider is gonna be sent down to the AHL at some point today from what I'm hearing but that doesn't make sense either because Newbury was sent down, not sure how accurate my source is on this one. Unless ofcourse Asham is back in and Bickel stays up front.

Just a question, and I know everyone loves our young players but how many players do we know of that get top line minutes and don't score in 33 games? Our LW position is our biggest problem, all teams know it, and it's why the puck is always kept on that side of the ice, right now Hagelin is just a fill in on that spot by default. I feel like anyone could score 1 goal playing with Richards and Nash, or Richards/Callahan, or Richards/Gaborik in that time frame. Hagelin needs to score, Kreider needs to be better if we are gonna be a top ranked team. Nash, Gaborik, Richards and Pyatt have done their part, the rest of the team needs to be better and now, otherwise we miss the playoffs.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Pyatt plays well but he is not really a 2nd line player. I personally would show patience with Kreider and Hags. They are not why we are losing games. This system keeps the margin for error so low. There is no way the team Philly put on that ice last night was more talented than our team. I also would have done everything possible to keep Zooks. Zooks could have played anywhere from 2nd line to 4th line but helped the power play with his creativity and passing. Zooks felt like he might never get a legit chance here which is a shame. I'm hoping Zooks comes back.

bsi
01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Opposing teams only have to defend 60 feet of the ice at a time vs the Rangers. It makes it easier on them and harder for the Rangers to get the puck out of their own end. The NHL took out the 2 line pass. You want to stop the other teams dmen from keeping the puck in so often? Float Gabs, Kreider, Hags, and Nash outside the zone a few times a game. The other teams bench will be screaming at their dmen to get back and cover them. You do not do that all the time. You do not do that with every player. There is a time and place for everything. Just like grinding and cycling. It is about moderation and balance. It should not be 100% of one aspect of the game and 0% of another aspect of the game. Stretch the ice. Open up the ice. I could guard Kreider if I only had to cover him 5 feet at a time. Speed kills but it doesn't kill inside the hash marks. Players do not skate full speed inside the hashmarks and rarely inside the blue lines. Speed kills in the neutral zone. Free our speed players. Maximize their speed.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the way Gaborik, Nash or Richards are playing. Thought they made a lot of good scoring chances. It's once you go past those three that we are getting nothing. Kreider isn't Pavel Bure, he isn't even Valeri Bure just yet. He's had a bad year, expecting him to just turn it around because he's in the NHL isn't realistic. He had 12 points in 33 games in the AHL, expecting him to become a goal scorer in the NHL this year would be one huge turnaround.

metswon69
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
I personally don't see anything wrong with the way Gaborik, Nash or Richards are playing. Thought they made a lot of good scoring chances. It's once you go past those three that we are getting nothing. Kreider isn't Pavel Bure, he isn't even Valeri Bure just yet. He's had a bad year, expecting him to just turn it around because he's in the NHL isn't realistic. He had 12 points in 33 games in the AHL, expecting him to become a goal scorer in the NHL this year would be one huge turnaround.

Yes but the Ranger's style of play is filtered in through much of their farm system especially in the AHL. That's going to limit Kreider's ability in the open ice down there as well subsequently hurting his stats.

He is young and raw and i agree to this point it's probably too soon to expect much out of him but his skillset is going to be more conducive to putting him in productive offensive situations. There is no doubt his offensive ability is going to be ahead of his defensive ability and his knowledge of Tort's system. The game is going to be more reactionary and on the fly for him.

It's an argument to give him more seasoning but it's also an argument to me to leave him up here to figure it out if they can find a more useful way to get him on the ice.

His skill is enough of an excuse to have him out there (even if the results aren't there because i think as the season goes on they will be) and live through the growing pains.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM

I did not say Kreider would be a huge goal scorer this year. I could see him scoring 8-15 goals though if givem legit playing time on a legit line. Some guys need seasoning in the pros. Shanny wasnt a goal scorer as a rookie in the NHL. Bringing up another AHL retread isn't going to make or break the season. Sometimes we have to show a little patience with some players instead of scapegoating them. Was Kreider to blame for losing to a undermanned Philly team last night?

There is nothing wrong with the way Gabs, Richards, or Nash are playing. They are 3 great players. Its not their fault we play in a very conservative system. I feel they could show more of their skills if we stretched the ice and didn't have them play in a phone booth. I think our talent and firepower is very impressive. I think our collection of defensemen is very good. I think our goalie is very good. So do most fans and coaches. We play like a Ferrari that has a 80 mile per hour governor on it. I'd like to take the governor off it and give the players a chance to show more of their skills. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Yes but the Ranger's style of play is filtered in through much of their farm system especially in the AHL. That's going to limit Kreider's ability in the open ice down there as well subsequently hurting his stats.

He is young and raw and i agree to this point it's probably too soon to expect much out of him but his skillset is going to be more conducive to putting him in productive offensive situations. There is no doubt his offensive ability is going to be ahead of his defensive ability and his knowledge of Tort's system. The game is going to be more reactionary and on the fly for him.

It's an argument to give him more seasoning but it's also an argument to me to leave him up here to figure it out if they can find a more useful way to get him on the ice.

His skill is enough of an excuse to have him out there (even if the results aren't there because i think as the season goes on they will be) and live through the growing pains.

Very well said. Hags already showed he could score and play well at the AHL level and the NHL level. If the whole team is struggling to score maybe the scapegoating should not be placed on 2 young guys.

metswon69
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Very well said. Hags already showed he could score and play well at the AHL level and the NHL level. If the whole team is struggling to score maybe the scapegoating should not be placed on 2 young guys.

Yep and just so no one is confused i love Tort's defensive style of hockey but like someone said in another thread i don't think Mario Lemieux in his prime could fix the Ranger's PP the way its currently situated.

Ok i am exaggerating but my point remains.

Something needs to be changed to fix this.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Yep and just so no one is confused i love Tort's defensive style of hockey but like someone said in another thread i don't think Mario Lemieux in his prime could fix the Ranger's PP the way its currently situated.

Ok i am exaggerating but my point remains.

Something needs to be changed to fix this.

Mario may have been benched because Mario often looked for breakaways, didnt block shots or play on the side boards. :)

metswon69
01-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Mario may have been benched because Mario often looked for breakaways, didnt block shots or play on the side boards. :)

:laugh2:

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey guys do not get the wrong idea. I'm very optimistic about this team. I think we have one of the 5 most talented teams in the league. I just would like to see a more exciting brand of hockey played that will show all the talent I believe we have.

metswon69
01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Hey guys do not get the wrong idea. I'm very optimistic about this team. I think we have one of the 5 most talented teams in the league. I just would like to see a more exciting brand of hockey played that will show all the talent I believe we have.

Yeah that's why i am not concerned about the slow start even in a short season.

This grind it out style of play though where it seems like every win is by 1 goal and at the same time we struggle to find offense at times is frustrating to say the least.

I would like to see Torts open it up just a bit.

fingerbang
01-25-2013, 07:17 PM
But how do they open it up?

metswon69
01-25-2013, 08:13 PM
But how do they open it up?

I am not one for hockey strategy but there are certainly ways to get players with Kreider's and Hag's skill set the puck in open ice and with space to use said skill set.

And there are certainly ways to improve the PP...

fingerbang
01-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Hagelin's skill level is actually relatively low. He's just a really fast skater. Kreider has no one to blame but himself. He's not playing well and he's been caught out of position a lot. He's got all the tools but the one major knock on him throughout his career is that he's not a very creative player. He struggled to produce offense even in college.

metswon69
01-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Hagelin's skill level is actually relatively low. He's just a really fast skater. Kreider has no one to blame but himself. He's not playing well and he's been caught out of position a lot. He's got all the tools but the one major knock on him throughout his career is that he's not a very creative player. He struggled to produce offense even in college.

Well it would be hard to expect much else out of Kreider with such little time in Tort's system. He'll learn as he continues to develop.

I still think he should get that time up here to learn though as the Ranger's depth at forward is a concern as well.

As for Hagelin, that blazing speed is still a weapon.

There are ways to utilize speed and get the pucks in deep while creating pressure on the opposing defense in their zone.

The Rangers don't do that..

fingerbang
01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Well it would be hard to expect much else out of Kreider with such little time in Tort's system. He'll learn as he continues to develop.

I still think he should get that time up here to learn as he still has great skill.

As for Hagelin, that blazing speed is still a weapon.

There are ways to utilize speed and get the pucks in deep while creating pressure on the opposing defense in their zone.

The Rangers don't do that..

They can put him on the third line and let him use his speed to chase down dump-ins. That's really the strength of his game and Torts pretty much did that last night. But that falls into the G word category that people don't like.

I'd give Kreider a few more games but if he's still playing poorly and out of position, he gets sent down. He's not going to improve by playing 7 minutes a night.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 09:10 PM
If I'm on the ice playing defense I tell Carl the minute I get the puck with a few feet of room just forget the side boards. I'm placing it right around the center ice dot. Who gets there first? Dmen that have to turn and pivot or the fastest man in the NHL? That is what I used to tell guys I played with. Just throw it to the center dot and I will beat my guy to it.

Want to open the ice? Make the other team cover more of it. Guys cant live in fear of going up the middle of the ice or cross ice on a pass. Leak out Gabs, Nash, Kreider, and Hags on occasions. I can almost guarantee if the other team sees Gabs, Nash, Hags, or Kreider leaking out they will be standing up yelling for their dmen to get back to cover the breakout. When that happens they can no longer pinch to keep the puck in. Have some of our forwards walk the redline or blue line looking for a break out pass. Once again this doesn't have to be done all the time just like side boards dump and chase, grind grind does have to be done all the time. Some balance and moderation is the key.

Its like an NFL team that only runs the ball or passes short. When they do that the other teams starts loading the box to stop the runs and short passes. You have to throw deep sometimes to keep them honest and establish that threat. "Safe is death"

bsi
01-25-2013, 10:12 PM

You can't make two effective lines if you have no Left Wingers, that's the problem. Kreider was supposed to come into this year as our answer to our top line LW or atleast our 2nd line LW. For some reason he's regressed,, I'm not sure if he just didn't do the required work to come into the year flying or if he just can't get used to the scheduling as some college players have before. At this point we have no effective LW on this team unless Gaborik goes and plays with Nash and Richards. Maybe Kreider comes back tomorrow night and realizes this isn't going to be handed to him and proves me wrong but the year he's had up to now doesn't warrant top 6 minutes. Having him skip ahead of players like Pyatt who are earning their spot isn't sending the right message to anyone on the team, if the coach asks you to play a certain way then you play it, if not you'll be up in the rafters or in the AHL, that's the way the NHL works. I hope he comes back hungry like he was when he arrived last year because if we are gonna be good this year we need him to be a #1 or #2 LW and be much more interested in playing than he was to start the season.

bsi
01-25-2013, 10:17 PM

This is my feeling as well. I can't believe he's had such a mediocre year thus far in the AHL, not sure how we are to expect him to all of a sudden score a couple goals or more a week in the NHL. How he could come into this year less of a player than he was last year is baffling. He was penciled in for a dream job in New York with Stepan and Gaborik and he didn't show up ready.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Kreider didn't even play last night so how can he be responsible in any way for them scoring 1 goal??? He only averaged around 9 minutes a game in the 3 games he did play. He is a rookie. I expect rookies to have some growing pains. He is far from the main reason this team has struggled in my opinion.

metswon69
01-25-2013, 10:37 PM
This is my feeling as well. I can't believe he's had such a mediocre year thus far in the AHL, not sure how we are to expect him to all of a sudden score a couple goals or more a week in the NHL. How he could come into this year less of a player than he was last year is baffling. He was penciled in for a dream job in New York with Stepan and Gaborik and he didn't show up ready.

I have to believe teams made adjustments to Kreider to some degree having seen him in the playoffs last year and having got scouting reports from the AHL this year.

He does deserve a little bit of a break considering he has what 50+ games of their offensive and defensive system under his belt between the AHL and the NHL.

He'll get there, it's about getting experience and learning from mistakes. Tort's short leash doesn't help matters either because they are letting him ride the pine for most of the game while instead he could be getting more valuable playing time.

I know he has been a liability to this point but i still think the Rangers should utilize his speed and put him in better situations to succeed offensively. You can make that case for all of their skill players in the offensive zone to this point.

bsi
01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Kreider didn't even play last night so how can he be responsible in any way for them scoring 1 goal??? He only averaged around 9 minutes a game in the 3 games he did play. He is a rookie. I expect rookies to have some growing pains. He is far from the main reason this team has struggled in my opinion.

Having no real option for Left Wingers outside of our RW Gaborik is causing problems on the left side. I wouldn't cancel the trade for Nash as I still think we got the best of the deal but the trade included two very versatile players in Dubinsky and Anisimov that could fill in those spots if need be. He's not the main reason we're struggling, and by no means am I saying it's his fault but the plan going into this year was to have him take one of the top 2 LW spots. With no better options right now I think that's still the plan but Torts is trying to fix him early, he just has to listen to what Torts is sayin and bring his intensity up to an NHL level.

It's not Torts fault he only had 12 points in the AHL, Matt Gilroy outscored him in the same amount of games and Kris Newbury was head and shoulders better than him all year, I mean he was about 10th in scoring on the team when he left. It's on him, he has to be better. I'm hoping the night in the rafters helps him find his way because if not the next stop is the Whale. We need him to be the guy we thought he was in order for us to be successful.

IAmARanger18
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Either Sullivan needs to go or him and Torts need to go, enough with the blocking of the shots and the changing of the lines every ****ing shift, leave the top line as Nash-Richards-Gaborik and honestly drop Hagelin down to 3 and move Pyatt up to skate with Stepan and Callahan, yes this is what it has come down to, Pyatt in the top 6, but he is producing.

bsi
01-25-2013, 11:04 PM
I have to believe teams made adjustments to Kreider to some degree having seen him in the playoffs last year and having got scouting reports from the AHL this year.

He does deserve a little bit of a break considering he has what 50+ games of their offensive and defensive system under his belt between the AHL and the NHL.

He'll get there, it's about getting experience and learning from mistakes. Tort's short leash doesn't help either because they are letting him ride the pine for most of the game while he could be getting more valuable playing time.

I know he has been a liability to this point but i still think the Rangers should utilize his speed and put him in better situations to succeed offensively. You can make that case for all of their skill players in the offensive zone to this point.

I agree that he'll get there but I disagree about teams making adjustments to him being the issue in the AHL. He's an NHL player playing against AHL'ers, he should be a point a game or atleast close to it. He's got great speed but he's most effective on the dump much like Hagelin is, it's when he gets in the oppositions end that he has the edge on Hagelin as he's a better passer and shooter as well as he's bigger than him. He'll get there but it's a short season and I think Torts is probably a little disappointed that a guy that played here last year seems to have forgotten what he learned and is giving him a refresher.

bsi
01-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Either Sullivan needs to go or him and Torts need to go, enough with the blocking of the shots and the changing of the lines every ****ing shift, leave the top line as Nash-Richards-Gaborik and honestly drop Hagelin down to 3 and move Pyatt up to skate with Stepan and Callahan, yes this is what it has come down to, Pyatt in the top 6, but he is producing.

Hopefully Pyatt can continue to produce until Kreider finds his way, though we shouldn't expect that, otherwise all our scoring is gonna have to come from the top line. Our PP needs a makeover for sure.

metswon69
01-25-2013, 11:19 PM
I agree that he'll get there but I disagree about teams making adjustments to him being the issue in the AHL. He's an NHL player playing against AHL'ers, he should be a point a game or atleast close to it. He's got great speed but he's most effective on the dump much like Hagelin is, it's when he gets in the oppositions end that he has the edge on Hagelin as he's a better passer and shooter as well as he's bigger than him. He'll get there but it's a short season and I think Torts is probably a little disappointed that a guy that played here last year seems to have forgotten what he learned and is giving him a refresher.

I don't know if there is any trade in for experience.

Kreider has tremendous talent and his offensive strengths will outmatch Hags like you mentioned but this is Hag's second year. That's invaluable time Kreider doesn't have and it probably hurt him at the AHL level.

I think it was a lot easier for him last year because there was zero pressure on him. They told him to go out there, play, rely on your strengths and he did. He had less time to think and that probably helped him.

Now there were big expectations from this kid this year and maybe he folded a bit under those expectations. I still think his lack of experience really hurts him here but the only way to break through from that is to get that said experience on the ice.

Going through the growing pains essentially..

IAmARanger18
01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Hopefully Pyatt can continue to produce until Kreider finds his way, though we shouldn't expect that, otherwise all our scoring is gonna have to come from the top line. Our PP needs a makeover for sure.

Thinking about it I kinda wish Sully did leave for Calgary to be their head coach, I mean all we do is ****ing pass on the PP, it's been like that for years now, pass, pass, pass then DZ shoots hide and wide off the glass and puck comes out of the zone.

bsi
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Looks like Kreider has a bone chip in his ankle, Ferriero is getting the nod tonight.

fingerbang
01-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Hopefully they score some goals tonight.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Looks like Kreider has a bone chip in his ankle, Ferriero is getting the nod tonight.

I sure hope Chris gets better soon. I like watching the kids and Nash play.

Hopefully Benn will do some positive things on the ice as well. :)

bsi
01-26-2013, 04:40 PM
I sure hope Chris gets better soon. I like watching the kids and Nash play.

Hopefully Benn will do some positive things on the ice as well. :)

Ya, I think he could be a good third line addition. His size is deceiving as he's strong on his skates. Hopefully him and Boyle can get something going as they played together at Boston College.

Who's gonna tackle Orr tonight? Asham, Rupp or Bickel. My money is on Rupp.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 05:53 PM
I just want to see our skill guys find some open ice tonight. Let them create. I don't think we had 1 legit scoring chance last game aside from the Pyatt goal.

The defensive system that we play is obviously not conducive to skill players and scoring but Torts has to find some ways to get these guys some open ice.

-As for the powerplay... I gave up hope a LONG time ago. As long as sullivan is running it, nothing will change. I was watching the devils last night and their PP is great. It's so tight around the net and constantly in control. There's no reason why ours can't be the same way.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 05:58 PM
It is crazy that we can look so flat with so much offensive firepower. I believe cream will eventually rise to the top but we should do everything possible to make that cream rise as fast as possible and as often as possible.

In the meantime I'm trading for Crosby in the main NHL forum. I already offered more than Slats would. LOL :)

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
NHL Network reporting that there is a "big" rumor that Jason Arnott is on his way to the Rangers.

IAmARanger18
01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Yuppp Dreger said it should be signed soon. I love the move.

Also Hank gets his first shutout of the year tonight in a 3-0 win!

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Here we go again... Penalties, penalties, and more penalties. Good work Captain.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I ****ing hate that. Why fight right there, asham? So ****ing stupid.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Both of our guys got their ***' kicked. If this is tortorellas idea of firing up the team, then I'm worried.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 08:27 PM
We have them right where we want them. :)

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:27 PM
The fact that our coach thinks we need to fight twice at the beginning of a game vs. the Leafs just to get our guys going is sad. The fact that all of that happened AND we are already down 1-0 after a huge defensive lapse is pathetic.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 08:30 PM
The lockout really should not be used as an excuse for any team. They all were locked out not just a few. Just play hockey. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 08:31 PM
That was a nice breakout. 3 passes and a good situation. We need to do more of that. :)

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:34 PM
for ****s sake Nash.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
It is a good sign that he is finding open ice though

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Finally a long pass up the middle!!! That is is what I want to see multiple times a game. I know he did not score but its the threat. Stretch the ice. Good job!!!

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Has stralman ever got a shot through from the pt?

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 08:49 PM
2 goals on 3 shots. If we stop allowing shots we can win this!!! :)

Still a lot of time. We have dominated play despite the scoreboard.

fingerbang
01-26-2013, 08:49 PM
No one gets shots through from the point bc they don't have any movement. Shooting lanes stay clogged at all times.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:52 PM
I can't watch much more of this ****.

-Just a random question but have we won a face-off clean, all season?

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Part of the reason for our ****** power play is our disability to even "tie" on face offs. We get beat every single time.

fingerbang
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
*******s are booing them. Gotta love fairweather ny fans.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Is till think we can win this game based on how many more shots we are getting. Still 40 minutes to go and start the next period on the PP.

I wish we still had Zooks for the PP.

I can not stand fans that boo but other people like it. I never think it helps.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I just hope that if we do continue to lose, the fans don't start turning on Nash. He has been one of the few guys that has added something positive during each game so far.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-26-2013, 08:58 PM
I just hope that if we do continue to lose, the fans don't start turning on Nash. He has been one of the few guys that has added something positive during each game so far.

If they turn on Nash they will just show how little they know. He is one of the few guys giving us a chance to score usually.

fingerbang
01-26-2013, 09:03 PM
They'll turn on him tomorrow if he doesn't get any points tonight.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
They'll turn on him tomorrow if he doesn't get any points tonight.

Rangers fans + ****** results has never = patience.

notoriousbig21
01-26-2013, 09:14 PM
when i get frustrated with the rangers i just become thankful im a knick fan and not a laker fan. lol jk j4kop99.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
when i get frustrated with the rangers i just become thankful im a knick fan and not a laker fan. lol jk j4kop99.

haha, well the Lakers saved me for the lindros, messier part II, Bure, etc. years... but yes, this year has been quite the shock for me. I don't know what is going on. I must have done something terrible to deserve this.

-BTW, I think this most recent PP may have been our worst 1 yet. It;s great to see improvement like that.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Sullivan for assistant coach of the year

nystandup
01-26-2013, 09:20 PM
finally

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Damn, if only asham could have lifted the puck. That was a solid move from him. His hands are pretty underrated. Not his "fighting" hands but his scoring hands.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Here comes the NY Rangers power-play! Get ready, toronto...

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
1 shot on goal is my guess

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:37 PM
I was wrong... 0 shots on goal

nystandup
01-26-2013, 09:43 PM
one time baby one time!

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I honestly believe that even if we were to bring in Crosby, without giving anyone up, our offense would still suck. It is just the system we play.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 10:14 PM
We have a possible 3 on 2 and the genius MDZ decides to dump it in

fingerbang
01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
That was sick.

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Finally, some open ice

J4KOP99
01-26-2013, 10:40 PM
what am I watching here?

fingerbang
01-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Gaborik in absolute beast mode this year. Nash has been stealing some of his thunder.

OptiMized
01-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Good game, you guys really stepped it up late. Leafs had no business winning this game.

J4KOP99
01-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Our next game ins't until tuesday so the guys will have some good practice/rest time. Always nice to get a win before a break like this.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-27-2013, 04:30 PM
2 goals on 3 shots. If we stop allowing shots we can win this!!! :)

Still a lot of time. We have dominated play despite the scoreboard.

I still think we can win this game based on how many more shots we are getting. Still 40 minutes to go and start the next period on the PP.

I would be tempted to change my name to NostraSlyness after last night if I was not wrong 75% of the time. :D

SLY WILLIAMS
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Our next game ins't until tuesday so the guys will have some good practice/rest time. Always nice to get a win before a break like this.

The team needed some goals to go in. Early in the game when I saw Staal throw a check near the goal line on the PP I had a gut feeling he would do something offensively. Good job Marc!!! :)

metswon69
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
I was reading the Rangers only have 6 back to backs on their schedule this year too (which is the least amount in the league)

Should help them over teams with more rigid scheduling as the season moves forward.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-27-2013, 07:14 PM
I was reading the Rangers only have 6 back to backs on their schedule this year too (which is the least amount in the league)

Should help them over teams with more rigid scheduling as the season moves forward.

I had no idea about that. I thank you for bringing that up. :)

bsi
01-28-2013, 05:13 AM
NHL Network reporting that there is a "big" rumor that Jason Arnott is on his way to the Rangers.

Apparently he failed his medical, deal is off

nyr2002nyr
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Apparently he failed his medical, deal is off

Yeah i saw that late last night that sucks.

The best part about beating the Leafs was i had a party at my house on Saturday night and half of my hockey buddies are Leafs fans who were all at the house and talking **** when they were up 2-0

SLY WILLIAMS
01-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah i saw that late last night that sucks.

The best part about beating the Leafs was i had a party at my house on Saturday night and half of my hockey buddies are Leafs fans who were all at the house and talking **** when they were up 2-0

Getting outshot like they were I'm surprised they talked trash so early.

The comeback must have been fun for you. :)

nyr2002nyr
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Getting outshot like they were I'm surprised they talked trash so early.

The comeback must have been fun for you. :)

That it was!!! I was like wait werent they down 2-0? So the Leafs gave up 5 unanswered goals?

IAmARanger18
01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Lundqvist is in! We win big.

bsi
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Bickel is also in...top 4 d are gonna be tired in this one.

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
I can't watch Bickel.... he gets beat to the outside every single time.

bsi
01-29-2013, 03:03 PM
I can't watch Bickel.... he gets beat to the outside every single time.

I know he's tough but he adds nothing in the way of defence and ends up making our top 4 play all night.

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Are there any d-men on the market right now? I know there are still some free agents out there... I haven't looked at a list recently, though.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
He only plays around 4 minutes a game on defense so I'm not too worried about him yet. I think he is in there more for toughness.

Bring back Zooks!!! :)

SLY WILLIAMS
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Are there any d-men on the market right now? I know there are still some free agents out there... I haven't looked at a list recently, though.

St Louis signed Wade Redden for 800k. Wade has 2 goals in his first 3 games!!! I'm happy for him. :)

metswon69
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636658

Only list i could find..

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
gotta love that from MDZ

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Stepan has had like 3 or 4 great chances. Gotta get one

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
1st line is non-existent tonight

bsi
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
gotta stay outta the box

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 09:22 PM
A score on this PP would be huge. That was a great kill on the 5 on 3.

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 09:24 PM
There it is!

bsi
01-29-2013, 09:29 PM
DelZotto having a great start so far this year. We need another D instead of Bickel he's a waste of a roster spot. If Rupp and Asham are gonna play sit Bickel.

J4KOP99
01-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Great ****ing shift. I wish Nash would have shot instead of passed though