PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith Trade Rumors: Dallas, Houston and Memphis interested?

shep33
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Multiple rival executives confirmed that the Hawks have participated in trade conversations with several teams regarding Smith, a 27-year-old game-changing defender when engaged. CBSSports.com

Among the teams that would appeal to Smith are Dallas, Houston and Memphis, a league source told CBSSports.com. The Grizzlies, in the midst of establishing the value of Rudy Gay on the trade market in the face of massive luxury tax bills on the horizon, are not among the teams that have spoken with the Hawks about Smith, one of the sources said. Despite owner Mark Cuban's comment this week that "the bank of Cuban is open," the Mavs also have not yet expressed interest in trading for Smith, another source said. CBSSports.com

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

jsthornton7
01-16-2013, 07:15 PM
3-way to LA for Pau somehow, someway.

Mr_Amaziing
01-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Josh Smith to Houston

el hidalgo
01-16-2013, 07:17 PM

iv never seen a trade rumor about a good player without somebody posting a pau gasol trade scenario that brings the player to the lakers.

shep33
01-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I see him going to Houston for some reason

el hidalgo
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
i can see them wanting asik. horford goes back to his real position, PF. their defense gets beastly with asik at c and horford at PF. that team would be legit.

Stunner
01-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Houston

LAKobeBryant
01-16-2013, 07:22 PM
If they are willing trade Smith. Lakers has to get a deal done with Pau even if they don't want Pau we'll get multiple teams involve

Stunner
01-16-2013, 07:24 PM
And a 1st going to A Town http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bfd75bl

KniCks4LiFe
01-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Josh Smith to Houston

someone is going to get upset out of the playoffs if Houston gets Josh Smith.

KnicksorBust
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
I hate Josh Smith and think the Hawks would be brilliant to trade him right now while his value is so good. If they could somehow net Asik/Parsons for Josh Smith + filler that'd be a great move for the future.

phlp_bj
01-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Would the Hawks want Asik's contract?

KniCks4LiFe
01-16-2013, 07:35 PM
I hate Josh Smith and think the Hawks would be brilliant to trade him right now while his value is so good. If they could somehow net Asik/Parsons for Josh Smith + filler that'd be a great move for the future.

I'd think Houston would want this deal done w/o dealing Asik. They'll dangle Parsons/Patterson and Morris if they have to.

KniCks4LiFe
01-16-2013, 07:37 PM

doubt it. But lets say

Lin
Harden
Delfino
Smith
Asik

That starting line up can ball and Monty is no slouch, his problem is he's caught in not getting mins. b/c the Roxs want to make the playoffs and are keeping their rotations short w/ players that produce.

el hidalgo
01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
hawks wouldnt trade smith for crap. hes a player that can turn a playoff team into a contender. they would want asik. his contract is good the first year, then lousy the next. it is a great expiring that would be easily tradable. al horford and asik would be the best interior defense in the league. horford would also go back to his natural position. id love to see that trade.

sep11ie
01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Please don't make a move for him Morey. Pleeeeeaaaaase!

KnicksorBust
01-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd think Houston would want this deal done w/o dealing Asik. They'll dangle Parsons/Patterson and Morris if they have to.

Literally nobody in the NBA averages the points/rebounds/assists/steals/blocks of Smith. I don't know if that's enough. Patterson has looked good though.

Stunner
01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
They have to make salary match up people and the only three big contracts they have our Lin ,Harden and Asik . This will have to be a three team deal if Houston wants to hang on to Asik. The players y'all are naming are still on their rookie deals , a lot of players and a big contract would have to go to Atl to match the 13 mill of Smiths contract.

Gritz
01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
To Dallas so they can use that as a ploy to get Dwight

sep11ie
01-16-2013, 07:58 PM
They have to make salary match up people and the only three big contracts they have our Lin ,Harden and Asik . This will have to be a three team deal if Houston wants to hang on to Asik. The players y'all are naming are still on their rookie deals , a lot of players and a big contract would have to go to Atl to match the 13 mill of Smiths contract.

You don't have to match contracts if you're under the cap.

Stunner
01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
You don't have to match contracts if you're under the cap.

Who is under the cap ? I don't think ATL is under it yet , I just tried it in the Trade Machine

KniCks4LiFe
01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Literally nobody in the NBA averages the points/rebounds/assists/steals/blocks of Smith. I don't know if that's enough. Patterson has looked good though.

I know. I think it would b/c it's cost control for ATL and you'd have 2 or 3 young players w/ upside to keep while being able to go on a FA spend spree this summer. Patterson is good but he ain't Josh Smith. They'd deal him and run w/ the receipt.

KniCks4LiFe
01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Who is under the cap ? I don't think ATL is under it yet , I just tried it in the Trade Machine

HOU is under the cap. Way under. So the deal works (http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=allo25w) (in craziest unrealistic term)

nickdymez
01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
If he goes to Houston that will be NASTY

LA4life24/8
01-16-2013, 08:26 PM
LA needs to find a way to get him, keeps dwight n LA, and with ron and clark serving as trong ppf candidates smith could serve as the sf and kobe could go back to sg and LA would play much better D... im dreaming i know but it is the lakers and.they have been known to get a steal n trades juss sayin

astrosmaniac
01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
there's no way morey deals asik for him. asik is a great value as a defensive anchor at C. can you imagine this teams defense without him? it'd be horrendous. theres also the fact that smith is terribly inefficient

MrfadeawayJB
01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
I think he will end up extending with Atlanta actually.

KniCks4LiFe
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
he's getting traded. Quote me.

Diesel44
01-16-2013, 08:35 PM

If his numbers hold up Asik has a very affordable contract, but no I don't see Asik in any deal.

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
This rumor is funny. They spit out 3 rumored teams, then literally said none of them have shown interest. WTF?

Also, the Hawks already have the Rockets 1st already I believe, so what can they give us? Ferry would want either draft picks or star players. Rebuild or win now. Gasol doesn't do that, nor anyone from the Rockets not named Harden.

Swift Game
01-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I think Houston should keep their core players if they can. Asik has been a nice surprise on the boards. Not sure they are better with Josh smith giving up Asik possibly.

I think if smith gets traded it could be a three team trade scenario. Probably makes a little more sense in Memphis as they would shed some salary and get an upgrade on the defensive end. Dallas, not sure what they would give up that makes sense for the hawks.

Htownballa1622
01-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Please heck no. No way do i want him in Houston.

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Maybe a 3 team trade with Smith going to Memphis, Gay going to a 3rd team, and we get draft picks/young players.

StarvingKnick22
01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
**Cough cough*** To knicks and pick for Amare, camby, Copeland cough*

Stunner
01-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I always thought it would be between LA , NY , Houston and ATL for Smith ; only ATL if they get Howard.

Reyes6
01-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Houston has a ton of cap for the offseason, no use in wasting prospects when they can afford a max or two.

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't count out a Cavs trade either. I always thought they would be a place for Smith, plus I heard Dan Gilbert saying Smith might be the best defender in the league when we recently played them. Ferry has past ties with Cavs obviously too, so.

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a3uwcfd

jsthornton7
01-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Something along the lines of this: :)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ahgh3yj

HighCHWRoller07
01-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Smith for Boozer

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-16-2013, 09:52 PM
**Cough cough*** To knicks and pick for Amare, camby, Copeland cough*

Danny Ferry laughs his *** off when he hears this offer.

Chill_Will_24
01-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Jesus defense is so underrated in this league. Asik's contract is a bargain for what he brings

jsthornton7
01-16-2013, 09:56 PM
J. Smith is no slouch defensively :)

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Something along the lines of this: :)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ahgh3yj

Josh Smith for a 4 year contract Ryan Anderson? Are you joking or is this how Laker fans actually think? If that is the case, Dwight Howard for Zaza?

jsthornton7
01-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Have you even seen Ryan Anderson play?

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Have you even seen Ryan Anderson play?

Do you understand what alot of people have told Laker fans? That we don't want contracts that will hurt our cap space. Unless it is a star player, he is useless to the team. Ferry has made it clear with getting rid of Joe and Marvin, we don't want Gasol, we don't want Anderson. Smith isn't going to be a Laker, he will either walk, re-sign, or traded for something that will help us.

jsthornton7
01-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Ryan Anderson isn't just some role player. He is awesome. I would much rather have Anderson than Smith and there is a HUGE market for him. He is the most consistent 3 point shooter in the league who will get you 8-10 rebounds a game and provide valuable floor spacing for Horford to beast down low.

Way to be an ******* though...

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Ryan Anderson isn't just some role player. He is awesome. I would much rather have Anderson than Smith and there is a HUGE market for him. He is the most consistent 3 point shooter in the league who will get you 8-10 rebounds a game and provide valuable floor spacing for Horford to beast down low.

Then why don't the Lakers just trade for him? Instead of including us and Smith, Lakers trade Gasol for Anderson. Ferry wants boom or bust, not to be the same 2nd round playoff exit team we have been. Anderson does neither for us (title or rebuild). Not being a bleep, just have to keep repeating the same stuff to Lakers fans. Smith will not be traded to the Lakers unless a star player or draft picks come our way (with no long term deals).

TrueFan420
01-16-2013, 10:19 PM

Curry says hi

eternal slumber
01-16-2013, 10:23 PM
i have a feeling Morey will be all over this.

jsthornton7
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Anderson doesn't help LA in the same way as he helps ATL. We have offense, we need defense. There are a myriad of trades I would like the Lakers to trade Gasol for. J. Smith is just 1 of them.

However, you being an ATL fan who wants draft picks, which player is more valuable to have: A player on a 4 year 36 million dollar contract or a player with 1-year left who will probably have to be signed to a max deal wherever he ends up signing?

Anderson is a very valuable commodity and if ATL decided to trade him, they would get a nice haul.

shep33
01-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I think Morey will definitely try and get in on this. Don't know how exactly, but he'll likely try

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 10:26 PM
There is no point in going back and forth about this. I just know Ferry has said he is looking to add a star player. Trading for Anderson doesn't do that, and actually hurts our huge cap room this summer.

jsthornton7
01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Curry says hi

I should have specified. most consistent shooting big.

TheNumber37
01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Houston seems like a good fit. Taking pressure of Harden to score, and Lin loves to throw badly timed alley oops that Smith can actually catch. PLus, Smith likes to run and jack up 3s... that's half of the playbook in Houston.

I bet They'd wanna keep Parsons, though.

uprightciti
01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
god these laker fans sound pathetic!!!! there is no way the hawks bite on the 32 year old 38 million dollar chemistry killing ailing big man that is pau gasol for the spry 27 year old in his prime about to beast on a .500 team and push for a 2nd round playoff team with legs in the future....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houston make sense but hawks wont take asik (poison pill)
Memphis could shock the world and go Z-bo for Smith and keep Gay
reason being Z-Bo is now 31
Josh Smith is 27

it works for both teams

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=akfydea

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
^ Z-Bo is in the same boat as a Gasol trade. It is guys that are on more than 1 year deals, over 30 and are not star players.

heattiltheend94
01-16-2013, 11:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a6q9nva
with rockets sending first to Grizzlies
and raptors first to hawks

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 11:11 PM
^ Why do we need 4 years of Conley?

Since everyone seems to be helping them out and not the Hawks, can someone see any of these traded to Hawks (don't care how many teams needed):

Cousins
Drummond
Waiters
Love

IndiansFan337
01-16-2013, 11:13 PM

Everyone loves this trade for some reason, but I don't think it helps LAL. They still don't have 3 pt shooting. They become more athletic, but I think it will make their offense worse. He will get a ton of wide open deep shots and he loves taking those, but needs to refrain from them for the good of his team.

*Silver&Black*
01-16-2013, 11:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b7vjwfw

reffahead
01-16-2013, 11:22 PM
I've seen Ryan Anderson play in the playoffs vs. the Hawks and he sucked. I don't care what players do on terrible lotto teams.

uprightciti
01-16-2013, 11:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=be9w9cs

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2013, 11:46 PM
It seems like Memphis is the perfect trade partner for Atlanta. they could offer up Gay an another player. Atlanta likely would want a couple of players back, and Memphis wants to shed some contracts, so I think it might even be possible for ATL to somehow swing a trade where they get Gay and Z-Bo back in the deal. It may sound like Memphis would be giving up a lot, but they do want to get rid of one of those big contracts.

City of Angels
01-16-2013, 11:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=axqcrcs

minn gets pau
lakers get smith
atlanta gets pek

lakersiznumber1
01-16-2013, 11:59 PM
god these laker fans sound pathetic!!!! there is no way the hawks bite on the 32 year old 38 million dollar chemistry killing ailing big man that is pau gasol for the spry 27 year old in his prime about to beast on a .500 team and push for a 2nd round playoff team with legs in the future....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houston make sense but hawks wont take asik (poison pill)
Memphis could shock the world and go Z-bo for Smith and keep Gay
reason being Z-Bo is now 31
Josh Smith is 27

it works for both teams

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=akfydea

jesus is that u? :laugh: haven't you been paying attention mitch is the best gm in the business. They said no way lakers wold get howard for bynum alone and he did iy. they said there no way we could trade walton contract and he did it. stole steve nash away from raptors and nyc but yet u dont believe wake up. Mitch is that damn good

SeoulBeatz
01-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Think he'd bring a LOT to Dallas if they didn't have to give up Dirk or Mayo.

MrfadeawayJB
01-17-2013, 12:01 AM
It seems like Memphis is the perfect trade partner for Atlanta. they could offer up Gay an another player. Atlanta likely would want a couple of players back, and Memphis wants to shed some contracts, so I think it might even be possible for ATL to somehow swing a trade where they get Gay and Z-Bo back in the deal. It may sound like Memphis would be giving up a lot, but they do want to get rid of one of those big contracts.

I dont see it happening because Smith would be a rental for Memphis and nothing more. He would want a huge contract extension that would put memphis in the same predicament they are currently in

*Silver&Black*
01-17-2013, 12:13 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=be9w9cs

this, sign me up

Tmath
01-17-2013, 12:14 AM
D.Derozan for J.Smith

Sactown
01-17-2013, 01:36 AM
this, sign me up

Cousins isn't going to be dealt lol. Lol let alone Cousins and Salmons being dealt for 2 players who play the same position lol...

jsthornton7
01-17-2013, 01:43 AM
this, sign me up

And you criticize Laker fans...

*Silver&Black*
01-17-2013, 01:44 AM
I didn't make the trade idea. And yes, for every one million Gasol for Smith trade offers on here, there is .1 offer that benefits Hawks. How sad of me for liking it.

jsthornton7
01-17-2013, 01:52 AM
I'm just trying to show you that we all do it. Don't be hypocritical. There are a lot of Laker fans and we have a great GM who seemingly pulls off miracle trades.

torocan
01-17-2013, 01:54 AM
Houston has loads of cap space and Smith is still an expiring. I just can't see them trading the farm away for Smith.

As for giving up Asik I don't see that either as decent Centers are hard as heck to replace.

I could see them giving up Patterson and some of their filler players, and possibly even throwing in Parsons (but it's not THAT likely they'd trade Parsons -- they Really like Parsons). It would make just as much sense for them to just wait out the season and try to pick him up in Free Agency with their cap space.

Unless of course they work out a 3 team trade for some picks for their rookies... then a lot of things are possible.

jsthornton7
01-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Parsons was fantastic when I saw him against the Lakers. Im very impressed.

sep11ie
01-17-2013, 02:30 AM
If I see one more poster post how Asik/Lin are gonna make 16 mill(max money/poison pill)... Dudes, look up the way it works... IT'S ONLY 8.3 AGAINST THE CAP. Don't act smart if you are not.

ldawg
01-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Smith is cool and all but he is not the franchise Player type sorry just not.

ldawg
01-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Hawks would be smart to trade Smith. He is not a max player. I think what he is getting paid now is about right. Its time to cash out than get caught in another bad contract.

JiffyMix88
01-17-2013, 08:59 AM
It'll probably Rudy Gay for Smith

nyKnicks126
01-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I agree Rudy Gay for Josh Smith makes perfect sense. I bet if a deal would go through, more pieces would be involved.

Mr.ATLHawks
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM

Problem is Horford isnt really a down low player. He has a good mid range game and hustles like Noah. I like Anderson...but not for Josh Smith.

Mr.ATLHawks
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
this, sign me up

x2. Cousins is about the only plausible trade scenario I can see Ferry pulling the trigger on. Rudy Gay? nah. Derozan? Nah...Cousins Yessssssss. Maybe even throw Aaron Brooks in there and let them have Harris. Or maybe try to get Tyreke Evans with Cousins...somehow.

IndyRealist
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
If I see one more poster post how Asik/Lin are gonna make 16 mill(max money/poison pill)... Dudes, look up the way it works... IT'S ONLY 8.3 AGAINST THE CAP. Don't act smart if you are not.

This without the snide remarks. I don't know why people keep insisting their contracts blow up at the end.

benzni
01-17-2013, 10:30 AM
JS to houston would make the most sense. Houston have some good pieces.

LTBaByyy
01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Dallas Gets:

Josh Smith

Memphis Gets:

Shawn Marion
Roddy B
Dallas 1st round pick
Brandan Wright

Atlanta Gets:

Rudy Gay

koreancabbage
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I agree Rudy Gay for Josh Smith makes perfect sense. I bet if a deal would go through, more pieces would be involved.

It'll probably Rudy Gay for Smith

i don't see it happening. It doesn't make sense for Memphis unless they are trading another big piece away. They are trying to get under the tax threshold and having an expiring Josh Smith is not going to help them long term. Short term, maybe, but as a franchise moving forward - would you trade away one of the leagues best SF's for an expiring PF (who can't play SF and just becomes a chucker at that position) and you're left with nothing. You're not going to sign Smith to a long term contract either.

they want young pieces who could potentially replace Gay's production in all likelyhood.

Chronz
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Parsons isn't going anywhere folks cmon now

JordansBulls
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Rockets need another scorer now, it is becoming more apparent. They just lost 6 in a row.

Snakeyestx
01-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Josh Smith to Houston

Yuss... this ^

J Smoove to Houston for Patrick Patterson, and some of our army of unused forwards.

futureman
01-17-2013, 01:21 PM
The lakers just have a bunch of garabge on their roster. The only way they are getting josh smith is if they give up dwight.

KniCks4LiFe
01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Parsons isn't going anywhere folks cmon now

I love Parsons game but come on it's not like Monty can't play his role eventually and Parsons has been slacking on most nights eversince his shoulder got bumped. Ideally you want to keep Parsons but look at last night. Delfino was guarding Dirk, he had to guard Dirk b/c Parsons wasn't getting the job done. If that's Josh Smith. Way different story.

Lin
Harden
Delfino or Monty
Smith
Asik

the pick n' roll is back w/ Smith. They get a fastbreak that's some must see stuff.

nickdymez
01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
The lakers just have a bunch of garabge on their roster. The only way they are getting josh smith is if they give up dwight.

Well your from Boston and you have a stooge as your Avy. So this post isnt TOO shocking

MrfadeawayJB
01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
If i'm houston and i have a shot at getting Smith, I would gladly include Parsons as a part of the deal

KniCks4LiFe
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
If i'm houston and i have a shot at getting Smith, I would gladly include Parsons as a part of the deal

thank you, right now you're the only one making sense. This isn't Larry Bird. He can shoot, pass, defend, but on some nights he disappears. Last night Lin gives him a catchable ball he muffs and it's loss. This is Josh Smith we're talking about. Parsons has a long way before he can be that type of impact player. (he'll never be that type) Josh Smith is a guy who'd give Blake Griffin, Dirk, Durant........he'd give those types a fit. Harden and pick n'roll, Lin w/ the pick n'roll, Smith in the post, fastbreak, rebounding, defense. You have to.

Chronz
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
I love Parsons game but come on it's not like Monty can't play his role eventually and Parsons has been slacking on most nights eversince his shoulder got bumped.
Come on? Im not that high on him, nor would it change anything regarding his contract to production cost or Parsons potential improvements.

Parsons is on the books for 2.5 seasons for like 2Million TOTAL. Just doesnt sound like a chip that Morey would move in this scenario.

Ideally you want to keep Parsons but look at last night. Delfino was guarding Dirk, he had to guard Dirk b/c Parsons wasn't getting the job done. If that's Josh Smith. Way different story.

So you think they should make a trade based on how they fared vs a sub .500 team?

Lin
Harden
Delfino or Monty
Smith
Asik

the pick n' roll is back w/ Smith. They get a fastbreak that's some must see stuff.

So they have zero outlet option from the bigs, lol thats going to be one easy pick and roll to blitz/sag. It would definitely hurt Harden/Lin's ISO game.
Morey has been trying to find/develop a stretch-4 for awhile now, dont see why that changes now that hes set up the team perfectly for free agency. They can always sign Smith in the off-season.

Chronz
01-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Why?

el hidalgo
01-17-2013, 03:15 PM

This without the snide remarks. I don't know why people keep insisting their contracts blow up at the end.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

dur hur. its that way because that is the most houston could have given on the offer sheet. it DOES blow u[ in the 3rd year.

cuttydoesit6
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
harden & smith duo would be nastyyyy

im likin what Houston is doing these days. not afraid to take any risks, they just wanna win

KniCks4LiFe
01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Come on? Im not that high on him, nor would it change anything regarding his contract to production cost or Parsons potential improvements.

Parsons is on the books for 2.5 seasons for like 2Million TOTAL. Just doesnt sound like a chip that Morey would move in this scenario.

I said ideally you don't want to trade him but what do you do you also have Monty rotting away and if Parsons holds up getting Josh Smith IDK if that's wise.

So you think they should make a trade based on how they fared vs a sub .500 team?

No. But they want to make the playoffs it might be necessary. What's the strength of schedule they have coming up, b/c they have loaded up on the East. Don't forget that.

So they have zero outlet option from the bigs, lol thats going to be one easy pick and roll to blitz/sag. It would definitely hurt Harden/Lin's ISO game.
Morey has been trying to find/develop a stretch-4 for awhile now, dont see why that changes now that hes set up the team perfectly for free agency. They can always sign Smith in the off-season.

Lin and Harden's iso game gets more hurt b/c they are starting to not respect the PnR, you saw at the end of last night how Harden had to be the one to set up the screen, that's Asik's job but his finishing rate is probably one of the worst in the league so teams don't respect it much and that's when Lin and Harden get doubled. You want them to conserve that ISO game for moments like the 4th qtr and create mismatches around the elbow. That's a great spot to insert Josh Smith's game who is one of the most athletic finishers in the game. But you're right they can sign him in the offseason too and pair him w/ Lin/Harden/Parsons. I just think they might look into it b/c FA isn't guaranteed to land a star. Brooklyn was waiting for Dwight Howard, a yr. later he choked it up for them.

Vinylman
01-17-2013, 03:57 PM

i doubt they will... the thing about parsons is he has two team options after this year for less than $1 million per year...

not saying they won't but it is alot tougher decision than people are saying.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
someone is going to get upset out of the playoffs if Houston gets Josh Smith.

well, with the Mavs, Wolves, and even Lakers all teams that many thought were playoff contenders not playing well, there are a couple spots for the taking out west this year. Houston can easily get one of them.

Denver-boy
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
To Denver for Chandler, Amill, and Mozgov, for Jsmith, and jenkins

Hawkeye15
01-17-2013, 04:03 PM
there's no way morey deals asik for him. asik is a great value as a defensive anchor at C. can you imagine this teams defense without him? it'd be horrendous. theres also the fact that smith is terribly inefficient

yeah, Asik is not going in this deal. I have been surprised by him at times this year. It would be salary relief for Atlanta, while getting a couple young players back, like Parsons, Patterson, and maybe a future pick.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Why?

for what Parson's makes, and his contributions, I sense Morey wouldn't include him in a deal either. But what could Houston offer? Not sure sending their glut of PF's is going to cut it.

Losoway
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
hawks wont no parts of pau. will you laker stans realize that

Iversonfan4life
01-17-2013, 05:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bbmnlqy
boom

HowFit
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM

No kidding!

NoahH
01-18-2013, 03:07 AM
iv never seen a trade rumor about a good player without somebody posting a pau gasol trade scenario that brings the player to the lakers.

+1

Chronz
01-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Agree to disagree Knickfan

for what Parson's makes, and his contributions, I sense Morey wouldn't include him in a deal either. But what could Houston offer? Not sure sending their glut of PF's is going to cut it.
Whats the market on him? Your right about them prolly not having enough for him, but why give up assets when you can easily sign the guy outright if you wanted? And he doesn't fit the mold of PF's they are going after, IIRC there were several rumors of going after Josh Smith and JJ back in the Tmac expiring contract days and other times as well, never pulled the trigger then. Wish we knew what Morey was thinking.

One thing I've noticed is that he doesn't like trading guys who are outright bargains at their contracts but he wont commit longterm unless hes comfortable with the core. Parsons is where Budinger was his first few years, if Parsons gets traded it will be in his contract year just like Budinger.

sep11ie
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
I disagree. Parsons is not where Budinger was, he is waaaaayyy ahead of him. Though I do feel Bud was undervalued/underappreciated.

Chronz
01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
I disagree. Parsons is not where Budinger was, he is waaaaayyy ahead of him. Though I do feel Bud was undervalued/underappreciated.

There is nothing to disagree with, Im stating a fact about their contracts, not their game.

Chronz
01-18-2013, 02:28 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8856793/nba-josh-smith-trade-scenarios-atlanta-hawks

Deals involving Smith by ESPN/BP guy

farren.louis
01-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Trade lin and patterson for smith! I think lin will do good playing the 2guard next to lou

sep11ie
01-18-2013, 03:03 PM
There is nothing to disagree with, Im stating a fact about their contracts, not their game.

My mistake, I thought you meant game wise... My bad.

Muttman73
01-18-2013, 03:07 PM

What he said, whatever that was

He115ing
01-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Knicks would be sick with J Smoove.

Joshtd1
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Take Neal/Bonner/Blair for him lol, all expiring contracts. Hell take Diaw too :silly: C'mon Ferry, do us a solid since you used to work for us

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Take Neal/Bonner/Blair for him lol, all expiring contracts. Hell take Diaw too :silly: C'mon Ferry, do us a solid since you used to work for us

He worked for us x2. Two tours of duty. That would be an amazing upgrade to our roster.

JordansBulls
01-18-2013, 04:05 PM

:clap:

KniCks4LiFe
01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Agree to disagree Knickfan

Whats the market on him? Your right about them prolly not having enough for him, but why give up assets when you can easily sign the guy outright if you wanted? And he doesn't fit the mold of PF's they are going after, IIRC there were several rumors of going after Josh Smith and JJ back in the Tmac expiring contract days and other times as well, never pulled the trigger then. Wish we knew what Morey was thinking.

One thing I've noticed is that he doesn't like trading guys who are outright bargains at their contracts but he wont commit longterm unless hes comfortable with the core. Parsons is where Budinger was his first few years, if Parsons gets traded it will be in his contract year just like Budinger.

Love Parsons. I'm just not that high on his game. Josh Smith in SF/PF they can make noise. That's if they decide to make a move. Chase Budinger and Parsons isn't that far off of a comparison.

sep11ie
01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Chase and Chandler are both white, were 2nd round picks by the Rockets and play SF. The similarites pretty much stop there.

KniCks4LiFe
01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Chase and Chandler are both white, were 2nd round picks by the Rockets and play SF. The similarites pretty much stop there.

I don't think they're shooting ability was that off, Chase was also pretty athletic. I think Chandler has better handles, can rebound and defend better. Point is. You can find a lot of Chandler Parsons in the next 5 yrs. How many Josh Smiths will you find?

Chronz
01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Love Parsons. I'm just not that high on his game. Josh Smith in SF/PF they can make noise. That's if they decide to make a move. Chase Budinger and Parsons isn't that far off of a comparison.
I dont buy Smith as a SF. I dont think any team wants to play him there. Morey knows the numbers with Smith as a 3-man, I dont think theres any reason to suggest thats an enticing aspect of acquiring him, a perimeter player who cant space the floor with guys like Asik/Lin.

I think as a general rule you should never have more than 2 non-shooters on the court, with Smith at the 3 you need guys who can play the outlet role he cannot. He and Parsons together tho.

Wish Atlanta didn't have so many guards and that Morey was heartless enough to trade Lin, because for all his flaws, Smith has more value than the most realistic offer Morey could give.

Chronz
01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
The 2nd round bit is pretty important as it pertains to contract structure/value. Get it?

Chronz
01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
:clap:

Its official, Morey aint trading Parsons.

KniCks4LiFe
01-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I dont buy Smith as a SF. I dont think any team wants to play him there. Morey knows the numbers with Smith as a 3-man, I dont think theres any reason to suggest thats an enticing aspect of acquiring him, a perimeter player who cant space the floor with guys like Asik/Lin.

I think as a general rule you should never have more than 2 non-shooters on the court, with Smith at the 3 you need guys who can play the outlet role he cannot. He and Parsons together tho.

Wish Atlanta didn't have so many guards and that Morey was heartless enough to trade Lin, because for all his flaws, Smith has more value than the most realistic offer Morey could give.

So you'd rather be a perimeter team instead of effective fastbreak, halfcourt team? When 3 pt. shots don't go down, the other team has the fastbreaks. An area the Roxs are not adept at. Like I said if they want Smith, Parsons shouldn't be the holding point.

Chronz
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
So you'd rather be a perimeter team instead of effective fastbreak, halfcourt team?
Im saying if your playing Smith at the 3, your likely not going to be an effective halfcourt team IMO. Dont mistake me saying spacing the floor means we have to shoot 3's, it simply means your provide room for your teammates when they are creating, be it by slashing, working the 2-man game, whatever. That is the definition of being an outlet option, the pressure release when defenses collapse. If you put Smith at the 3, you eliminate an essential component to most successful half court offenses. Im just saying thats how I like my teams, you can play Smith at the 3 but its not ideal and it puts more strain on other players. Thats just on offense tho, defensively Smith can be a game changer so I get the curiosity, but your not talking about defense much.

When 3 pt. shots don't go down, the other team has the fastbreaks. An area the Roxs are not adept at. Like I said if they want Smith, Parsons shouldn't be the holding point.
I disagree, there is a reason why the best teams shoot 3's, its because they are high value. Spacing is more important than I think you realize. I would rather keep Parsons and try to get Smith without losing him, if I miss out on Smith so be it, I still have a boatload of flexibility to acquire other players.

sep11ie
01-18-2013, 06:07 PM
The 2nd round bit is pretty important as it pertains to contract structure/value. Get it?

I was agreeing with you. I was disagreeing with Knicks4Life

Chronz
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I was agreeing with you. I was disagreeing with Knicks4Life

Got it

NYKNYGNYY
01-18-2013, 06:32 PM
if he goes to Houston who would they give up....they gave up almost everything they have for james harden... but if they can maneuver it somehow they would be a serious threat

Anji
01-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I think Josh Smith is over rated. I wouldn't weaken my team to get my hands on him.

The kind of player you should look to sign or S&T for.

torocan
01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
So you'd rather be a perimeter team instead of effective fastbreak, halfcourt team? When 3 pt. shots don't go down, the other team has the fastbreaks. An area the Roxs are not adept at. Like I said if they want Smith, Parsons shouldn't be the holding point.

I would agree IF Smith wasn't already expiring this year.

If Smith wants to go to Houston, Houston has the cap room to sign him outright. And if Houston is his first choice, Houston may *still* be the best value trade Atlanta can get. Dallas doesn't have that many assets to trade either, but like Houston they have cap space.

Trading Smith as a rental has limited value as the Dwight trade so amply demonstrated.

Now, if Smith wants to go to Memphis, I think they by Far have the best assets to massage a trade (especially if they package Rudy Gay).

Like anything, I suspect it will come down to what Smith wants.

AlexanderPearce
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b7zfydz

Blitzace137
01-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Don't see Smith as a winning player imo. He's a good player but the Rockets would be better off signing someone like Millsap during the off season.

KniCks4LiFe
01-18-2013, 10:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b7zfydz

who's got the ski mask here? if you can pull it off sure.

RipCity32
01-18-2013, 10:49 PM
I like Smith but you have to be cautious about signing him to a big deal because that athleticism is going to start to fade soon and what kind of player will he be when that happens?