PDA

View Full Version : Spurs being sued by fan at Heat game

sodaddicted
01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Spurs being sued by fan at Heat game

The San Antonio Spurs are being sued by a lawyer who is alleging that the team violated the state's deceptive and fair trade practices law.

On Monday, Larry McGuinness filed a class action suit in Miami-Dade County, stating that the team's head coach, Gregg Popovich, "intentionally and surrepticiously" sent their best players home without the knowledge of the league, the team and the fans attending the Nov. 29 game against the Heat. McGuinness contends that he, as well as other fans, "suffered economic damages" as a result of paying a premium price for a ticket that shouldn't cost more.

"economic damages" :laugh2:

Federal Reserve
01-15-2013, 05:34 PM
He has a point. If I paid big money to watch the Heat play against a college basketball team, I would be upset too.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-15-2013, 05:34 PM
wtf

BigBlueCrew
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM
someone needs to slap this moron upside the head

kdspurman
01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
This dude like has no chance here. He'll get some attention. But that's about it.

JNoel
01-15-2013, 05:40 PM
It's unfair, but suing is not warranted in this situation.

kdspurman
01-15-2013, 05:40 PM
He has a point. If I paid big money to watch the Heat play against a college basketball team, I would be upset too.

Upset? absolutely. Lawsuit worthy? Not a chance.

Keep in mind this is the same Spurs team that 90% of folks don't want to see in the finals cause they're so old, boring, and don't have any drama going on.

StarvingKnick22
01-15-2013, 05:43 PM

yep.

MagicHero3
01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
i dont get it... Pop sent his superstars home before the game? why, for rest?

Rockice_8
01-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Prime example of everything that is wrong in this world. I know I'll sue. And people wonder why insurance rates are through the roof. You should have to go through an approval process before you are allowed to sue someone.

Enough of the fat people suing McDonalds and the morons suing Duncan Donuts cause they burned their lip on hot coffee.

Quick story. I live on the Jersey shore and someone in one of the rich shore towns (million+ dollar homes) sued the town for 300K cause they built dunes to protect the town and other homes that where completely destroyed during Sandy and they block part of his view. He won.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Should sue the NBA for giving the Spurs a 5 game/6 night schedule going into a primetime game against the Heat.

They have no obligation to play their star players, if they believe its better for them to get rest.

sixer04fan
01-15-2013, 05:50 PM
This is what's wrong with America

AlexTmz2
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM
This is going to be interesting.

kdspurman
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
i dont get it... Pop sent his superstars home before the game? why, for rest?

Was their 4th game in 5 nights and only had 1 day off before having to face Memphis. So he sent them home for rest that night to get them 2 days off for the match up they had looming with the Grizz.

On top of that, Miami in a 2 week span was only playing their 4th game.

Was it a little jab at the league for the way they had their scheduling done? I'm pretty sure of it.

TheMoneyTeam
01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Spurs being sued by fan at Heat game

"economic damages" :laugh2:

What's so funny? How else would assess the monetary damage?

Ezio
01-15-2013, 06:00 PM
The Jazz fan should sue Wade/NBA for ejecting him out of the game for the same reason.

smith&wesson
01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
good im glad.

fans shouldnt have to pay good money to watch a great match up and then find out that the heat are playing vs the spurs bench. if these guys were injured it would be one thing.. but i dont know any one who gets paid to stay home and rest when theres nothing wrong with them.

TheMoneyTeam
01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Prime example of everything that is wrong in this world. I know I'll sue. And people wonder why insurance rates are through the roof. You should have to go through an approval process before you are allowed to sue someone.

Enough of the fat people suing McDonalds and the morons suing Duncan Donuts cause they burned their lip on hot coffee.

Quick story. I live on the Jersey shore and someone in one of the rich shore towns (million+ dollar homes) sued the town for 300K cause they built dunes to protect the town and other homes that where completely destroyed during Sandy and they block part of his view. He won.

Right, it's called a preliminary hearing. Something tells me you don't know much about the legal system.

kdspurman
01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
good im glad.

fans shouldnt have to pay good money to watch a great match up and then find out that the heat are playing vs the spurs bench. if these guys were injured it would be one thing.. but i dont know any one who gets paid to stay home and rest when theres nothing wrong with them.

Again, I will bring up the whole resting people at the end of the season for the playoffs... There's nothing wrong with them there. People have no issue with that. Or with teams tanking which is just as bad cause fans are still paying to see their team win right?

The Spurs played a brutal schedule up until that point, and Miami had a very easy schedule. I'm sure Pop feels for the fans, but his team is his priority and I think this was more of a jab at the league to get it together with their scheduling.

2-ONE-5
01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
wasnt this a close game, like final minute/seconds close anyway? what a lsoer this guy is

HaruSoul
01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
He has 0 chance of winning a penny. The ticket he purchased isn't for the Miami Heat vs the Superstars of the Spurs. It was for the Miami Heat vs the San Antonio Spurs, last I checked those players are still part of the Spurs.

AlexTmz2
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
This was actually a close game.

Enzo
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
He has 0 chance of winning a penny. The ticket he purchased isn't for the Miami Heat vs the Superstars of the Spurs. It was for the Miami Heat vs the San Antonio Spurs, last I checked those players are still part of the Spurs.

Bingo!!! It doesn't say anywhere on a ticket that certain members of the team are guaranteed or obligated to play. As long as the event took place and was finalized with legitimate active members of both teams, then no wrong has been done and his lawsuit is essentially frivolous. Court adjourned!!!

sep11ie
01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
So all these innocent people get shot here lately and this dude is spared? WTF?

CubsBullsBucs
01-15-2013, 06:24 PM
maybe he'd have a case if it was a blowout, but the Spurs almost won. It was a very close game

NYKnicksAllDay
01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Sense of entitlement.

king4day
01-15-2013, 07:05 PM
I could see, at the very least, he'll get his money back. It would probably be cheaper than going through the process. Even if it's a grand.

Aust
01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Trash. Absolute garbage

uprightciti
01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
well when you think about it...he is right!

when 90% of the revenue is made from big market teams in the NBA and you shell out the big bucks then yeah your ****ing top players better suit up if they aint hurt

and its time the fans got something back!

Guppyfighter
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Spurs would have won if not for the missed travel call.

Lakers + Giants
01-15-2013, 07:14 PM
What a little *****. He only thought about suing because stern fined the spurs, honestly I guarantee he wouldn't even have tried to do anything had stern not done that. He's just trying to follow what stern did. Lame.

KingsOfQueens
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
So basically he's claiming it was not an entertaining game...

Yet the Heat almost lost that game.

Miami fans also stabbed a Boston fan last year at the playoffs.

They will also use their Heat jerseys to wipe their 1999 Chevys once the dynasty is over.

The will also forget how to get to American Airlines arena when they stop winning.

Fakest and unclassiest fans in the NBA...

ACanadian
01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Only in America!

Kinglorious
01-15-2013, 07:31 PM
It's not about all that, it's about the ticket prices for a marquee game. I'm pretty sure every team does this (not 100%, although I'm pretty damn sure) ...but I know for a Raptors game they change the ticket prices depending on who's playing and what day it is. That Spurs-Heat game was a Thursday night TNT game, so...

Raptors, for example:

Side Prime for a Bulls game on Wednesday is $162.00
Side Prime for a Lakers game on Sunday is $418.00

I wouldn't pay anything extra to watch the Lakers (who aren't even good this year) if Kobe, Nash and Dwight weren't playing. Those are their Big Three, just like Duncan, Parker and Manu are the Spurs' Big Three. People were expecting to see them.

stipe1280
01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Welcome to America and it's entitlement mentality.

TheNumber37
01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure they bought the tickets weeks before, could they have sued if the players were injured or sick?

Since Pop was resting them, is this guy asking for difference in ticket price? like 50-100 bucks? Because that's all he can really claim.

xILLN355
01-15-2013, 07:44 PM
"stay classy, miami"

TheNumber37
01-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Even if they paid more, are the games conisdered marquee because of the PLAYERS that play in them, or for how good the teams are?
Which games cost more, Clippers or Lakers?

seikou8
01-15-2013, 07:47 PM
stupid people this days

2-ONE-5
01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
i wonder what he would be doing had the heat lost?

Sactown
01-15-2013, 08:38 PM
A business has the right to protect their assets, that's what the spurs were doing, it's unsafe to have older players play 5 in 6 nights with heavy minutes.

Vampirate
01-15-2013, 09:05 PM
My bet is the Lawyer is just trying to cash in.

knickfan33
01-15-2013, 09:18 PM

who the hell is that in your sig

cubfan23
01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
http://nba.si.com/2013/01/15/san-antonio-spurs-sued-resting-players-miami-heat/?sct=hp_t2_a13&eref=sihp

Haha wow some people in this country are a joke. I hate people like this trying to make extra money by suing for something so damn stupid.

BKLYNpigeon
01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
This is why Heat fans are Douches...

Lakers + Giants
01-15-2013, 09:38 PM
who the hell is that in your sig

It's Cheryl Cole, fap away.

--23--
01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't normally call people stupid, but that's a stupid fan.

JNoel
01-15-2013, 11:07 PM
There's good and bad Heat fans, unfortunately they all fall under the same category by most because of stereotypes and whatnot. Just because a couple act like total bandwagoners and joke for fans, it makes the rest look bad, though every fanbase has those fans and a lot of you seem to forget that...

kingjaymes23
01-16-2013, 12:50 AM
I literally just want to punch this lawyer in the face. I just heard him interview on ESPN radio and he sounded so dumb. He actually sounds like a terrible lawyer. He said, "When the schedule came out, everybody knew the Spurs would be looking at the game at Memphis as one of their most important games." pretty much screwed your case By saying that bud

BALLER R
01-16-2013, 01:22 AM
I said it before and I will continue to say it. When you buy a ticket to a game its to see two teams play. A ticket does not guarantee that you will see a certain player play.

John Walls Era
01-16-2013, 02:50 AM
This is why America is a great country. You can sue whoever you want and make so much money.

NYKnicksAllDay
01-16-2013, 02:54 AM
I knew people would make this about Heat fans. I bet if this had happened in any other city at least one idiot fan would try the same thing.

Rivera
01-16-2013, 03:07 AM
The heat almost lost that game lmao it was a very entertaining game despite the spurs stars sitting

Next time I goth a game and it's a blow out I'm gonna sue for economic damages for not getting my monies worth and spending X amount of dollars

ThunderousDemon
01-16-2013, 03:12 AM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/florida.gif

:hi5:

Cal827
01-16-2013, 03:34 AM
'Murica!

BULLSFAN0810
01-16-2013, 04:09 AM
I literally just want to punch this lawyer in the face. I just heard him interview on ESPN radio and he sounded so dumb. He actually sounds like a terrible lawyer. He said, "When the schedule came out, everybody knew the Spurs would be looking at the game at Memphis as one of their most important games." pretty much screwed your case By saying that bud

Memphis beats The Spurs consistently and is a pretty good team. I can see his point . you pay for seats $1000-75. you expect to see Duncan or any Spur IF THEY ARE HEALTHY. Can you go to work and punch in to get paid and sit down at the lunch room and chill ? Thats what happened.

sventhedog
01-16-2013, 04:23 AM
he's clearly trying to earn some money.

anyway, he has a point that fans should get something in return for what they paid for.

but if you are in the spurs organization, they are also expecting something in return for what they paid for.

both sides tried to do what they are supposed to do.

Ebbs
01-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Americans are famous for BS lawsuits like this.

I hope he wins though

gatkins11
01-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Frivolous.

mike_noodles
01-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Can't see this being worth the time and effort, not to mention the money. I can't imagine a judge forcing a pay out more than the cost of the tickets, parking, etc.

kingjaymes23
01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Memphis beats The Spurs consistently and is a pretty good team. I can see his point . you pay for seats $1000-75. you expect to see Duncan or any Spur IF THEY ARE HEALTHY. Can you go to work and punch in to get paid and sit down at the lunch room and chill ? Thats what happened.

Here is the thing though.....What he said shows that a reasonable fan that researched and knew the schedule could have known that this may happen, especially knowing Pops past where he has done this before. It's then called ignorance.

If I bought a ticket to see the Heat the other night to see Wade and Bosh and they did not play at the end of the game, could I sue? If I bought Lakers season tickets because I wanted to see Pau, D12, Nash, and Kobe together at the same time, could I sue now because they have been on the court together for like 10 games?

If this happens, what will stop people from suing MLB teams for sitting players during a day game after a night game the day before? This will just open things up and it will not be pretty. We have a right as fans to go see TWO TEAMS play, not specific players as nowhere on the ticket does it say all star players are guaranteed to play. To try to sue because somebody did what was best for their organization is just a joke. Like I said earlier, if I ever saw this lawyer I would probably just punch him in the face for opening this up.

miller74
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Welcome to America, where you can sue whoever you want whenever you want, and you dont even need a good reason.

BALLER R
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Here is the thing though.....What he said shows that a reasonable fan that researched and knew the schedule could have known that this may happen, especially knowing Pops past where he has done this before. It's then called ignorance.

If I bought a ticket to see the Heat the other night to see Wade and Bosh and they did not play at the end of the game, could I sue? If I bought Lakers season tickets because I wanted to see Pau, D12, Nash, and Kobe together at the same time, could I sue now because they have been on the court together for like 10 games?

If this happens, what will stop people from suing MLB teams for sitting players during a day game after a night game the day before? This will just open things up and it will not be pretty. We have a right as fans to go see TWO TEAMS play, not specific players as nowhere on the ticket does it say all star players are guaranteed to play. To try to sue because somebody did what was best for their organization is just a joke. Like I said earlier, if I ever saw this lawyer I would probably just punch him in the face for opening this up.

This. I don't even know how people are arguing against it

Patman
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
It's not about all that, it's about the ticket prices for a marquee game. I'm pretty sure every team does this (not 100%, although I'm pretty damn sure) ...but I know for a Raptors game they change the ticket prices depending on who's playing and what day it is. That Spurs-Heat game was a Thursday night TNT game, so...

Raptors, for example:

Side Prime for a Bulls game on Wednesday is $162.00
Side Prime for a Lakers game on Sunday is $418.00

I wouldn't pay anything extra to watch the Lakers (who aren't even good this year) if Kobe, Nash and Dwight weren't playing. Those are their Big Three, just like Duncan, Parker and Manu are the Spurs' Big Three. People were expecting to see them.

He may would have a point, but he bought the Ticket from a secondary source, a reseller. So the Price he payed for the ticket wasn't set by the NBA or it's teams.
The only thing he can hope for is a refund or getting back the difference, but again since he bought it through a reseller that chances should be slim.

kdspurman
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Not for nothing but since the Grizz eliminated in the 1st round, the Spurs are 5-1 against them, so I wouldn't say consistently.

And 2nd, if your boss knows you have been working a ton of hours (since you want to use the work analogy) and knows you have a big day coming up, they have every right to send you home for the day to ensure you are well rested and ready for the next day.

I keep saying it, but no one seems to complain at the end of the year when teams do this. Are fans going to start suing teams towards the end when teams rest their guys for the playoffs? Or is that *an exception*

69centers
01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
At minimum, they should be entitled to the price of their tickets back, along with gas and parking. If they bought any hotdogs, they should not be reimbursed on that, though.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/florida.gif

:hi5:

:laugh2: you sir are one of the funniest people I've ever seen online. Keep it up.

kingjaymes23
01-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Not for nothing but since the Grizz eliminated in the 1st round, the Spurs are 5-1 against them, so I wouldn't say consistently.

And 2nd, if your boss knows you have been working a ton of hours (since you want to use the work analogy) and knows you have a big day coming up, they have every right to send you home for the day to ensure you are well rested and ready for the next day.

I keep saying it, but no one seems to complain at the end of the year when teams do this. Are fans going to start suing teams towards the end when teams rest their guys for the playoffs? Or is that *an exception*

Absolutely right. If Stern does not fine every team that tanks the end of the season or rests players to get ready for the playoffs, he will show the true hypocrite he is. I know it will happen too and he will make up some BS excuse when asked about it. Golden State purposely tanked last season to keep their draft pick. Why weren't they fined?

This is part of the reason I hate Stern so much. He has different rules for different people at different times.

HowFit
01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Good grief...

sep11ie
01-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Spurs would have won if not for the missed travel call.

I'm gonna sue the NBA for that missed call.

Stinkyoutsider
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure if this guy has a case? Is he going to sue the NBA for allowing this to happen or the Spurs for doing it? The Spurs have already been fined for this so what can he possibly get out of this lawsuit besides a refund of the ticket price. If he belives it was fraud then maybe he can recoup his ticket money. No more though...

If anything, the one punishment the NBA could be hurt by is losing him as a fan?