PDA

View Full Version : Are the Pacers contenders?

TyrionLannister
01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
They currently rank #1 defense, but their offense ranks 29th.

Contenders or no?

ManRam
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Granger coming back will help the offense. Hibbert can't continue to suck this much, can he?

I think they're contenders in the East, just because the East is so down. If they some how did get past Miami, Chicago and the other contenders, they'd get mauled in the Finals though.

kdspurman
01-15-2013, 01:55 PM
If Hibbert can start dominating games I think so. He's got the advantage a lot of nights.

But if they made the finals would they have the firepower to compete with the teams out West would be the question considering their offensive woes.

I think if it's a yes or no answer I'd say they are in the East for sure.

PacersForLife
01-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Granger coming back will help the offense. Hibbert can't continue to suck this much, can he?

I think they're contenders in the East, just because the East is so down. If they some how did get past Miami, Chicago and the other contenders, they'd get mauled in the Finals though.

Having Danny back should definitely help the offense like you mentioned. I am just curious how we would get mauled in the Finals if we got past Miami? I mean, I guess they are kinda slumping right now, but they are still probably the most talented team just because of LeBron and Wade.

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2013, 02:02 PM
I think when you consider what their record is, and then also take into consideration that their best player (Granger) has been out due to injury and that their second best player (Hibbert) has not been playing at the level we have seen him play in the past, then you have to say: Yes.

George has been playing great basketball this season so there is a question here. George and Granger both play SF, so who is going to be starting? Can you move one to SG? or PF? I'm not sure either would fit at either position, they both seem like natural fits for SF, so the answer may be trading one (perhaps packaging one or the other up with Hibbert for a big man).

D-Leethal
01-15-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure they are better with Granger than they are now. I think they need a Go-to guy to advanced past the second round and not sure Paul George is ready to be that guy. I also don't think Granger will ever be that guy.

I know everyone loves to regurgitate the 'defense wins championships' cliche but it doesn't when your offense is 2nd worst in the league.

D-Leethal
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
I think when you consider what their record is, and then also take into consideration that their best player (Granger) has been out due to injury and that their second best player (Hibbert) has not been playing at the level we have seen him play in the past, then you have to say: Yes.

George has been playing great basketball this season so there is a question here. George and Granger both play SF, so who is going to be starting? Can you move one to SG? or PF? I'm not sure either would fit at either position, they both seem like natural fits for SF, so the answer may be trading one (perhaps packaging one or the other up with Hibbert for a big man).

In my opinion all Granger coming back will do is curb George's development and all-star level play. George should have had this breakout last season but Granger held him back IMO.

benzni
01-15-2013, 02:13 PM
everyone needs to be healthy and players need to step up

PacersForLife
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM

George was playing the sg position before Danny got injured. They'll both start, George at the sg and Danny at the sf.

In my opinion all Granger coming back will do is curb George's development and all-star level play. George should have had this breakout last season but Granger held him back IMO.
I honestly don't think it will have that big of an impact on George. The thing with George is that he was afraid to assert himself when Danny was on the floor last year. This is why I think Danny's injury was a blessing in disguise. It let Paul learn how to become more of a focal point of the offense and now he and Danny both know what Paul is capable of. It also let Lance Stephenson significantly improve and gain some confidence to get that starting sg role. We finally have a legit option off the bench with Lance once Danny gets back.

Swashcuff
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
5 out of 6 people far think the Pacers have a shot at winning the NBA title this season. Interesting.

NoahH
01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I don't think so. If contenders mean they have a legitimate shot at winning a title this year, I'd say no. They definitely are a top 4 team in the East tho and should make the East semis at the least. I don't think they can win a 7 game series against the Heat, Bulls (when healthy) or one of the top 4 teams out west

D-Leethal
01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
George was playing the sg position before Danny got injured. They'll both start, George at the sg and Danny at the sf.

I honestly don't think it will have that big of an impact on George. The thing with George is that he was afraid to assert himself when Danny was on the floor last year. This is why I think Danny's injury was a blessing in disguise. It let Paul learn how to become more of a focal point of the offense and now he and Danny both know what Paul is capable of. It also let Lance Stephenson significantly improve and gain some confidence to get that starting sg role. We finally have a legit option off the bench with Lance once Danny gets back.

Agreed, Granger injury was a blessing in disguise for Indy's future as well as Paul George's future. Everyone knows hes 'the guy' now. Its sort of like the Amare injury for the Knicks - everyone realized Melo is the alpha on this team and Amare had no leverage to complain about coming off the bench and handing over the keys, officially, to Melo making it his team. Also that he now knows he needs to stay out of Melos way and 'add' to the team instead of restructuring the team around him as a 2nd star. Similar thing should happen in Indy.

I just see Granger/George as very redundant offensive players, and those types of guys don't really feed off eachother, they usually take away from eachother. I am a big fan of PG, have him on a few of my fantasy teams. I'll be rooting for you guys as long as your not against us. Love the toughness and grit you guys play with.

TyrionLannister
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
In case it wasn't clear, I mean title contenders.

And I think they can if Granger can return to form, he'll give them a quality spot-up guy and it should boost them to at least a middle-of-the pack offense. They were top 10 in offense last year.

ManRam
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Having Danny back should definitely help the offense like you mentioned. I am just curious how we would get mauled in the Finals if we got past Miami? I mean, I guess they are kinda slumping right now, but they are still probably the most talented team just because of LeBron and Wade.

That's a fair point. Right now, the Heat don't look to be as good as the top 4 teams out West. Is that a fluke, due to a lack of motivation, or something else? Maybe. But right now they look defensively inferior to those 4 teams, they don't have the depth those 4 teams have and they can't rebound at all.

But you are right. They are still the Heat, and getting past them probably means you can hang with anyone.

Also, I interpreted "contender" a bit loosely here. I don't think they will, or really can win the Finals, but I think they could possibly get there . And getting there makes you a contender.

Sadds The Gr8
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
to win the championship? no.......

ombada
01-15-2013, 04:09 PM
This team definitely has ECC talent. Remember Granger brings around 17-18 PPG that weve been sorely missing. There are times in a lot of games where we are defensively shutting down the opponent, but we cant hit a bucket to save our lives. We go on these runs up by 5 or 6, they last 4 or 5 minutes and we end them up 8 or 9. With someone there to fill in those gaps in the offensive game (Granger) we could push those leads out farther and take over games. Thats truly the only thing that has been missing this year. Right now when David West and Paul George are having shooting woes, there is no one to pick up the slack. From time to time George Hill will get the scoring started, but its not enough.

Granger is an excellent shooter. Defenders have to respect his 3. that stretches the floor and pulls the double off of Hibbert, allowing him to be more effective in the post.

We need Granger back to go from ECC contender, to NBA Finals Contender.

Lake_Show2416
01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
if ur talking TITLE contenders, than NO

Rockice_8
01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
if ur talking TITLE contenders, than NO

Can they pull and upset and knock off someone to make the ECF, sure but in terms of winning the East and then the title (long shot at best).

2-ONE-5
01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
no not even close. all Granger will do is take the ball away from George and throw up bricks

seikou8
01-15-2013, 04:47 PM
hey one here hate the new psd but anyway no

ManRam
01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
no not even close. all Granger will do is take the ball away from George and throw up bricks

Granger is probably a slightly more efficient scorer. If anything, it's a wash. Hill is having a solid year, but he's not a tremendous scorer. Granger will help the team out. Maybe not miraculously, but to an extent at least.

ombada
01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Can they pull and upset and knock off someone to make the ECF, sure but in terms of winning the East and then the title (long shot at best).

Why would it be an upset if the Pacers went the ECF?

ombada
01-15-2013, 05:14 PM

Im not sure you understand how this team functions. This team is a go to them when they are hot team. There are some games where George has put up big numbers, but only a couple of those he was consistently on all game. Most of the time he goes on hot streaks in a half or a quarter. There are a lot of gaps on the offensive side of the ball where no one is scoring. Thats probably why we have the 29th ranked offense in the NBA. Granger will only help fill in those gaps. We need his points.

yaswaggin
01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
no, they couldnt beat the heat without bosh last year and had a huge size advantage

sadly they are the new hawks of the east, not good enough to be contenders, but good enough not to be in the lottery.

Rockice_8
01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Why would it be an upset if the Pacers went the ECF?

Well cause I don't think they are one of the two best teams in the East. I think MIA and a healthy Bulls team are the two best in the East meaning they wouldn't be favorites against either hence an upset. It's not like the 69' Namath Jets upsetting Unitas or anything but an upset none the less.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
I personally dont think so.
But if they do, it would be a pleasant surprise.

Paul george is finally showing signs of hsi potential for the past few games.
would be interesting to see how he plays once granger comes back and george goes back to playing the 2.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-15-2013, 05:57 PM
5 out of 6 people far think the Pacers have a shot at winning the NBA title this season. Interesting.

Pacers have 0 chance at a ring.

Ezio
01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
The new Hawks?

justinnum1
01-15-2013, 06:33 PM
No. 2nd round team.

bulls, heat, celtics.

Those are the 3 contenders in the east.

HowFit
01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
After the Heat and Bulls as far as Eastern Conf, possibly but not contenders...

PacersForLife
01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I hate this "the new Hawks thing." I don't think the Hawks ever had the top defense in the league.

Also, the only thing Danny Granger will do is help the team. We need offense and that is exactly what he brings.

seikou8
01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
I hate this "the new Hawks thing." I don't think the Hawks ever had the top defense in the league.

Also, the only thing Danny Granger will do is help the team. We need offense and that is exactly what he brings.

he wont be enough to put them over the top

Missing56&33
01-15-2013, 09:30 PM
If the Pacers were contenders Larry Bird would still be there.

Hawkeye15
01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
no. Unless Hibbert discovers his balls again, and Granger plays at an all star level upon his return.

PacersForLife
01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
If the Pacers were contenders Larry Bird would still be there.

This doesn't even make sense.

Hawkeye15
01-15-2013, 09:38 PM

haha, no, it doesn't. They need a serious upgrade on offense. Granger will help, but Hibbert has got to start contributing on that end in a serious way.

OldStyleCubbies
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Get Eric Gordon for Granger, then yes they are...

TyrionLannister
01-15-2013, 10:20 PM

I think it only references the Hawks as a "competitive-not-contender" tier. Doesn't matter what offensive or defensive ranks are.

I don't agree with it, but I get it.

krisxsong
01-15-2013, 10:25 PM

I disagree.

Hibeert IMO was always overrated. He could be a nice 13 and 10 player. Granger should help, but if he returns he's also taking shots away from West who's been hot and Paul George.

Are they contenders? No. The only contender in the East IMO is the Miami Heat.

krisxsong
01-15-2013, 10:27 PM

You don'tknow that. What if he comes back and struggles and he's just chucking shots?

Missing56&33
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Let me clarify myself. If u have any knowledge of Larry Bird...he was successful in college, (contended for a national championship)the pros, (won 3 NBA titles and was a contender up until he retired)and as a HC in the pros(was a contender as the Pacers HC ...made it to the Finals) The man is a winner, he has a lot of pride.

As the Pacers GM he put the team together .....last year they had the Heat right where they wanted them up 2-1 and chocked. When a hall of fame player like Larry Bird publicly says quote....."We went soft...I can't believe my team went soft"....then quit.

The Pacers are not contenders....make sense now?

ombada
01-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Let me clarify myself. If u have any knowledge of Larry Bird...he was successful in college, (contended for a national championship)the pros, (won 3 NBA titles and was a contender up until he retired)and as a HC in the pros(was a contender as the Pacers HC ...made it to the Finals) The man is a winner, he has a lot of pride.

As the Pacers GM he put the team together .....last year they had the Heat right where they wanted them up 2-1 and chocked. When a hall of fame player like Larry Bird publicly says quote....."We went soft...I can't believe my team went soft"....then quit.

The Pacers are not contenders....make sense now?

haha, what? Bird is old. He wants to rest. What your saying is complete BS. He didnt leave the team because he didnt think they could win, that you even came to that conclusion is absurd.

PacersForLife
01-16-2013, 03:00 AM
haha, what? Bird is old. He wants to rest. What your saying is complete BS. He didnt leave the team because he didnt think they could win, that you even came to that conclusion is absurd.

This. There is even a chance he might come back.

PacersForLife
01-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Get Eric Gordon for Granger, then yes they are...
If Gordon could stay healthy then I would do it in a heartbeat.

I think it only references the Hawks as a "competitive-not-contender" tier. Doesn't matter what offensive or defensive ranks are.

I don't agree with it, but I get it.
I get it too. I just don't see it, at least not yet. If we are still a first/second round exit for a few more years then we would certainly fit that description.

ombada
01-16-2013, 04:07 AM
I get it too. I just don't see it, at least not yet. If we are still a first/second round exit for a few more years then we would certainly fit that description.

The main difference is that the teams are built differently. they never had a true C, their line-up wasnt as big, they werent as good defensively and their star players were oft injured. They were more of a run and gun team. They played better on the break than in the half court. There wasnt really one thing you could point out about those Hawks squads and say 'they did that specifically well.' They were pretty much slightly above average across the board.

sventhedog
01-16-2013, 04:51 AM
They currently rank #1 defense, but their offense ranks 29th.

Contenders or no?

you already said it.

defense wins championships but nobody said you didn't need offense.

LakersMaster24
01-16-2013, 04:52 AM
I don't think the Pacers are contenders. However, I feel like with the development of Paul George as the corner stone of that franchise, Indiana is close. If George continues to develop, and the Pacers run their offense through him, they can be contenders. A lot also depends on whether Hibbert can play like he did in his All-Star year. Again, it all depends on Paul George developing into a "go-to" guy. I think he can.

PacersForLife
01-16-2013, 04:54 AM
The main difference is that the teams are built differently. they never had a true C, their line-up wasnt as big, they werent as good defensively and their star players were oft injured. They were more of a run and gun team. They played better on the break than in the half court. There wasnt really one thing you could point out about those Hawks squads and say 'they did that specifically well.' They were pretty much slightly above average across the board.

Very good point.

Missing56&33
01-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Are the Pacers contenders???

Reggie Miller not walking through that door...Rik Smits...Jalen Rose...Chris Mullen...Mark Jackson...not walking through that door.

You got Paul George..Hibbert...Hill....West who can play but no take over guys.

Like Larry legend said they're soft...I like Grainger but hes.....SOFT!

krisxsong
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Are the Pacers contenders???

Reggie Miller not walking through that door...Rik Smits...Jalen Rose...Chris Mullen...Mark Jackson...not walking through that door.

You got Paul George..Hibbert...Hill....West who can play but no take over guys.

Like Larry legend said they're soft...I like Grainger but hes.....SOFT!

His name is Granger, and would you please elaborate on what it means to be soft and why being soft automatically disqualifies you from contending?

Missing56&33
01-16-2013, 09:15 PM
His name is Granger, and would you please elaborate on what it means to be soft and why being soft automatically disqualifies you from contending?

Yeah you're right Granger ...my bad. The Pacers for the most part are a competitive team but they lack the mental toughness thats needed to get pass the elite teams in the playoffs. I think they need to tget tougher in the paint and Granger and George need to drive to the basket more.

The reason Larry Bird said his team was soft was not because of lack of talent but fear. The Pacers just dont intimidate other teams.