PDA

View Full Version : If Durant Wins MVP,Finals MVP Does He Surpass Lebron?

RocketLoc80
01-15-2013, 12:49 AM
This is turning out to be Durant and the Thunder`s year to win it all and I really don`t see anybody beating them this year with HCA. So if he wins MVP and Finals MVP does he surpass Lebron as the best player in the league?

justinnum1
01-15-2013, 12:51 AM
I dont see okc beating miami in the finals. They couldn't beat them earlier in the year. Miami is just a really bad matchup for OKC, plus westbrick always plays bad against miami. Maybe if one of the big 3 goes down the thunder will win.

greg_ory_2005
01-15-2013, 12:55 AM
No. Just no.

DPineda85
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Only if he also wins all star game MVP

b@llhog24
01-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Depends on the way he wins.

Sactown
01-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Depends on the Season he has + playoff run, but it would have to be in dramatic fashion to be even considered as Lebron has had so many monster season, and you have to account for everything he does on the defensive end.

Longhornfan1234
01-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Lol, I asked this question and made a thread about this question last season.

Gritz
01-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Yea, if Lebron dies or retires

Hawkeye15
01-15-2013, 01:25 AM
nah, Durant is ridiculous, but he isn't LeBron.

flclfanman
If he flat out dominates en route to a championship, he'd tie Lebron in terms of credentials, not pass him.

Raps08-09 Champ
Nope. He'd still be behind 2 season MVP's.

majmarcus
01-15-2013, 01:28 AM
No! As good as Durant is. He, IMO, has a lot of room to grow as a player. This kid is too talented & too long to not post up. He should be taking smaller guards on the block abusing them. He needs to develop a back to the basket game & he has yet to do so.

I know gaining a few lbs wouldn't exactly hurt him. But until he adds that muscle, he must expand his offensive arsenal. DEVELOP A POST UP GAME KD & quit being so perimeter/jump shot happy

flclfanman
01-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Nope. He'd still be behind 2 season MVP's.

Oops forgot those. I guess he'd tie him for playoff hardware :shrug:

RapOZo
01-15-2013, 01:31 AM
this is damn stupid, how winning some awards and a title determines the rating of player you are. lebron's stats are ridiculously above durant, even if durant lead his team further than the heat doesn't mean he will surpass lebron as a player. unless you are just counting career achievements.

tredigs
01-15-2013, 01:34 AM
this is damn stupid, how winning some awards and a title determines the rating of player you are. lebron's stats are ridiculously above durant, even if durant lead his team further than the heat doesn't mean he will surpass lebron as a player. unless you are just counting career achievements.

They are? What?

RealLiveBear
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
I dont see okc beating miami in the finals. They couldn't beat them earlier in the year. Miami is just a really bad matchup for OKC, plus westbrick always plays bad against miami. Maybe if one of the big 3 goes down the thunder will win.

If he's gonna play bad and drop 43 on your Defence IN Miami then you better pray he don't start playing well against you.

JordansBulls
01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
No he doesn't. Durant may be top 20 all time with that while Lebron is still top 12-13.

koreancabbage
01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
only if he has a televised episode of "The Decision". Otherwise no.

bucketss
01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
lebron did this last year and haters still can't admit hes the best in the league

koreancabbage
01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
lebron did this last year and haters still can't admit hes the best in the league

then Durant will definitely be considered the best in PSD. Those haters will have a reason to put down Lebron as much as possible.

BKLYNpigeon
01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
PSD has to stop letting Dumb ***** kids creating these threads.

GoferKing_
01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Wait, what? You serious? xD

GoferKing_
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
If he's gonna play bad and drop 43 on your Defence IN Miami then you better pray he don't start playing well against you.

Maybe with like 40 shots, but then his teammates will have a problem gathering 4 points thanks to him being such a ballhog in addition to his lack of brain.

Big Zo
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
If CP3 wins, does he surpass LeBron?

I mean, I think so. : /

Baller1
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
He doesn't pass Lebron. Lebron has been better for too long, but it fully depends on the amount of dominance Durant shows if he were to accomplish both MVP's. If he does it in dominant fashion, then he becomes Lebron's equal in my opinion.

That would give Durant the same amount of Championship wins, and the same amount of Finals MVP's. Lebron would obviously still have more individual accolades, but that goes back to him simply being in the league longer.

So my answer is: No, he will not pass Lebron. Yes, he becomes Lebron's equal as far as who is the best player in the NBA.

Antipod
01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Hate him or like him, Lebron >> anyone in the NBA

Knick bag
01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Only if he gets some scalp treatment

ManRam
01-15-2013, 01:55 PM
No. Neither necessarily make him a better player. The MVP award is too contingent on factors that don't involve being the best player in the NBA, and the Finals MVP also is very contingent on team elements.

He's getting very close to being as good as LeBron, but he still just is not. Those two accolades won't change that.

JordansBulls
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM

The difference would be Durant would have done it with a franchise that drafted him and no other proven champions as the man on his team.

yaswaggin
01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
All around talent lebron is still on another level

Scoring wise durant is on par or above lebron

Swashcuff
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
The difference would be Durant would have done it with a franchise that drafted him and no other proven champions as the man on his team.

Yeah but KD lost with HCA and Kendrick Perkins is a proven champion :shrug:

todu82
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Nope. Lebron's still on another level when going against Durant.

NBAfan4life
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
I have Lebron with a slim lead over durant for best in the league. Honestly it isn't much of a lead

blastmasta26
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM

:laugh2: Good point.

LJEATON26
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM

They look pretty damn close to me only difference is Durant averages 2 more points and James averages 2 more assists. But the answer to the question will be no, IMO Durant has to be the best player for multiple years before he takes Lebrons crown away. For him to surpass Lebron I think he needs to win the MVP and Finals MVP this year, along with doing it all again next year.

PhillyFaninLA
01-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Lebron is still better

ghettosean
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
How about we let him do those things 1st and then we compare the 2... Until then off then the answer is no.

RocketLoc80
01-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Upping

nbaeinstein
01-16-2013, 11:36 PM
if Durant wins it its only because it's his 'turn'. LBJ is still the best in the league.
nbaeinstein.com

ManRam
01-17-2013, 12:36 AM

Yes. Because **** like that magically makes someone better or worse than the actually are.

:rolleyes:

Raps08-09 Champ
01-17-2013, 12:39 AM

Only reason the Thunder would even win is because they have a proven winner in Kendrick Perkins.

mdm692
01-17-2013, 12:40 AM
nah, Durant is ridiculous, but he isn't LeBron.

And vice versa.

In regards to the question he would have to beat Miami in the finals and put up some monster #'s.

LA_Raiders
01-17-2013, 12:40 AM
CP3 will win MVP

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-17-2013, 01:00 AM
no lol...

JoeDirt05
01-17-2013, 01:03 AM
no

Sactown
01-17-2013, 01:27 AM

Kendrick Perkins was arguably the "MAN" in Boston ;)

Raps08-09 Champ
01-17-2013, 02:33 AM
Kendrick Perkins was arguably the "MAN" in Boston ;)

Defense wins championships and Perkins was definately a defensive beast that series.

They would've won in 2010 too but Perkins got injured. It shows how important Perkins was to the Celtics. There's a reason the Celtics haven't made the finals since trading him while OKC has been dominant.

IKnowHoops
01-17-2013, 02:57 AM
I think this sum's it up. In terms of being better, Lebron is to Durant, what Jordan is to Magic. All evolved are great, great players, but one is definitely better than the other and always will be considered on a higher level. Lebron is just better.

Note: The above could be proven false if KD goes on a 3 year run averaging 36 5 5 for three years, winning 3 mvps and 3 rings.

naps
01-17-2013, 03:08 AM
NO. KD needs to do it for multiple years along with putting up ridiculous stats if he wants to be on LeBron's level or pass him.

The_Jamal
01-17-2013, 03:36 AM
I don't see Durant ever passing LeBron, assuming neither player gets hurt. The only real edge Durant has is being a slightly better scorer. LeBron has the edge in everything else+3 MVP's+a ring+300 more games of sample size to back up his numbers. Even if LeBron retired tomorrow, I wouldn't be so sure Durant could have a resume as impressive

mjokc
01-17-2013, 06:10 AM
I don't see Durant ever passing LeBron, assuming neither player gets hurt. The only real edge Durant has is being a slightly better scorer. LeBron has the edge in everything else+3 MVP's+a ring+300 more games of sample size to back up his numbers. Even if LeBron retired tomorrow, I wouldn't be so sure Durant could have a resume as impressive

How are you still able to breathe with Lebron's **** lodged in your throat?

amos1er
01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
I'd say that if those things happened it would be very debatable. It all depends on how he wins and if Lebron lays and egg in the playoffs similar to 2011...Too many variables for this question to depend on just an MVP and finals MVP to decide if Durant becomes the best player in the NBA. But I'll say that if he keeps up these averages and improves upon them in the playoffs while winning an MVP and finals MVP...it might be tough to make a case for Lebron as best player in the league next season.

amos1er
01-17-2013, 06:34 AM
How are you still able to breathe with Lebron's **** lodged in your throat?

lol...I know...some of these Lebroner fans are pretty bad. That one in particular was pretty funny though.

amos1er
01-17-2013, 06:37 AM
NO. KD needs to do it for multiple years along with putting up ridiculous stats if he wants to be on LeBron's level or pass him.

I love how that very same argument was never good enough when people used it in favor of Kobe back in 2008-2010. Lebron fans would always say that you should be judging based on "right now" and that past accolades shouldn't be taken into account when deciding who the best player in the NBA is "currently". I love how the logic changes all of the sudden now that there is a legitimate challenger to his throne.

amos1er
01-17-2013, 06:43 AM
I think this sum's it up. In terms of being better, Lebron is to Durant, what Jordan is to Magic. All evolved are great, great players, but one is definitely better than the other and always will be considered on a higher level. Lebron is just better.

Note: The above could be proven false if KD goes on a 3 year run averaging 36 5 5 for three years, winning 3 mvps and 3 rings.

lol...so Durant has to put up impossible stats that even Jordan never even averaged for 2 straight seasons and win even more rings that Lebron currently has to be considered the best "current" player in the NBA. wow pretty funny considering how all Lebron had to do was win his second MVP back in 2010 for you very same people to consider him the current best player in the NBA over Kobe. Funny how Lebron got such instant gratification without having to prove himself for 3 more straight seasons of beyond GOAT accolades.

What if Lebron's numbers take a dive next season or later this season and Durants stay the same while winning an MVP and finals MVP...then would he still have to live up to these impossible standards you have set?

ManRam
01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
lol...so Durant has to put up impossible stats that even Jordan never even averaged for 2 straight seasons and win even more rings that Lebron currently has to be considered the best "current" player in the NBA. wow pretty funny considering how all Lebron had to do was win his second MVP back in 2010 for you very same people to consider him the current best player in the NBA over Kobe. Funny how Lebron got such instant gratification without having to prove himself for 3 more straight seasons of beyond GOAT accolades.

What if Lebron's numbers take a dive next season or later this season and Durants stay the same while winning an MVP and finals MVP...then would he still have to live up to these impossible standards you have set?

I mean, once Durant starts clearly playing better than LeBron we can start calling him the better player. I don't think there needs to be impossible standards...he just needs to be the better player.

Me personally, I don't think that even means a ring. He just needs to prove that he's a better all around individual player. And right now, he isn't. He's close, but he isn't.

OA SLAY
01-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Lebron is about 3durants

He115ing
01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't think Durant will ever be as good as Lebron. Bron is a much better play maker and an all around better player.

JordansBulls
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM

I think I mentioned proven champion as the man though. :p

pacofunk64
01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
No no no...that's just silly. King James is not being passed by anyone anytime soon. There is no one in the current NBA that will pass him and we all know that college and high school players are not the talent they once were.

Money_23
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
no.

cheesypacker
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I don't think so but he stands a good chance.

Stuckey#3
01-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Yes. Because he is better than Lebron. He has grown with the Thunder and has never been a media diva. I don't see KD leaving OKC for bright lights and endorsements. He will build his dynasty like MJ did. Lebron is more like Moses Malone... he can be the best player I the league on any team... But will never be a true leader or team builder.

Sly Guy
01-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Depends on the way he wins.

pretty much this.

sep11ie
01-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Why does this dude make threads?

Bishnoff
01-17-2013, 11:29 PM
No. LBJ just became the youngest player to reach 20,000 points.

Stuckey#3
01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Convenient that the rules were changed for draft eligibility right after LBJ was drafted. SMH. Durant would have beaten him otherwise.

Stuckey#3
01-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Hopefully Silver drops this LBJ NBA marriage.

ryang
01-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Convenient that the rules were changed for draft eligibility right after LBJ was drafted. SMH. Durant would have beaten him otherwise.

Not in the finals. Points well yea Lebron gets these things called assists and when he doesn't usually his teammates miss. Lebron is better then durant as an all around player and its really not close. Durant is a better scorer

RocketLoc80
01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Ok good one troll

ManRam
01-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Yes. Because he is better than Lebron. He has grown with the Thunder and has never been a media diva. I don't see KD leaving OKC for bright lights and endorsements. He will build his dynasty like MJ did. Lebron is more like Moses Malone... he can be the best player I the league on any team... But will never be a true leader or team builder.

What do the bolded have anything to do with being a better basketball player?

Not sure how you can prove the last sentence either. Yeah, he left Cleveland, but no one has ever accused him of being a poor leader or a poor teammate. Quite the opposite actually. He lead the Cavs to more success than probably anyone in the league could have. He came up short, but who wouldn't have?

seikou8
01-23-2013, 02:03 PM
What do the bolded have anything to do with being a better basketball player?

Not sure how you can prove the last sentence either. Yeah, he left Cleveland, but no one has ever accused him of being a poor leader or a poor teammate. Quite the opposite actually. He lead the Cavs to more success than probably anyone in the league could have. He came up short, but who wouldn't have?

this is psd logic is not allowed here

NYKnickFanatic
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
No. LeBron is on a complete different level than anyone else in this league. The closest one to him is Trey5, but he is still has some catching up to do, IMO.

Fired-Up
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Lebron starting taking his game to the next level when he was 24 and won his first MVP. But then he went a step further last year and started to control the pace of the game and posting up. Check out his points per possession last year in the Finals in the post. He was getting even better shots for his teammates and won a ring as "the man". Not Kobe Style with Shaq. (not hating, just using a high profile example)

I'd say Durant is about equal to what Lebron was at 24, but since then Lebron has taken his team game to whole other level.

It's James as the best player in the league.

Hawkeye15
01-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Better? No. Better at the stage of his career he is in? Probably.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
I consider Lebron to be on another level than Durant. Durant is excellent and is without a doubt the second best player in the NBA, but its a distant second.

kenzo400
01-23-2013, 04:48 PM

How are they a bad match up? Last year they clearly got killed due to lack of experience and perhaps bad coaching. OKC is essentially a better, younger and more athletic version of the Dallas team that beat Miami, minus of course the experience and perhaps coaching.