PDA

View Full Version : NBA scouts: "This is the year to trade your draft pick, no matter where it is"

spreadeagle
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
The 2012 NBA draft was good, not great.

It had one can’t-miss prospect (New Orleans big man Anthony Davis), another quick-emerging star (Portland point guard Damian Lillard) and a bunch of guys who’ll be solid contributors with lengthy careers.

If two NBA scouts who travel the country each college basketball season are right, the 2013 draft won’t come close to that.

The Observer consulted with two long-time scouts (neither connected to the Charlotte Bobcats) as conference seasons commence in the college game. Each works for a team likely to have a top-10 pick. Each spoke on condition of anonymity because neither is authorized by his employer to speak publicly on draft prospects.

While the two conversations were separate, each conveyed the same conclusion: This isn’t the year a franchise-changer will emerge from the draft process

“I don’t think this is a good draft,” said one scout. “This is the year you should consider trading your draft pick – no matter where it is.”

“The draft lottery was always supposed to be about exceptional players going to the worst teams,” said one of the scouts. “We’ve eroded the concept of ‘exceptional’ – exceptional doesn’t really exist anymore.”

Both scouts say that erosion can be traced to the so-called “one-and-done” rule that governs draft eligibility. Under the collective-bargaining agreement, U.S. players can’t be in the draft until they’re at least one season removed from their high school graduating class.

The unintended consequence of that, these scouts say, is players with pro aspirations now consider one season of college ball the maximum they should stay.

“Now they think one season is the ceiling, not just the floor,” one scout said. “That creates a problem.”

That’s what we all do,” the scout concluded. “We draft guys who are a lot like the ones we already have, only the guys we already have are better at least right now.

“But these guys are younger, so we get excited in the moment. And then you come to realize you haven’t changed much with your high pick.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/13/3786420/scout-recommends-charlotte-bobcats.html

LAKobeBryant
01-14-2013, 06:46 PM
tristan thompson?

Stunner
01-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Ive been telling everyone this but i think some gems might come out of this draft though .

Robbw241
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
It will be deep with role players but no superstars.

JWO35
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
They should let HS players be eligible again or make it 2yrs of college before declaring for the draft.

lamzoka
01-14-2013, 06:58 PM
every draft on every single year there is always 2-4 players who's going to make a name for themselves.

detzfish
01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to not have a superstar this draft but mclemore and shabazz look damn good and Michael carter Williams will be a real good pg ala rondo IMO

J4KOP99
01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Trey Burke looks like he will be solid

IndyRealist
They don't sound like very successful scouts.

Hellcrooner
they should go back to force them to either play the full 4 years at ncaa, or play 4 full years of PRO basketball abroad ( mainly for the europeans).

They quality of the league will go up, the number of busts ( specially euro busts) will go down.

Stunner
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Trey Burke looks like he will be solid

I agree

Stunner
01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Mitroic would have been a top 5 pick this year but lucky The Bulls got him last year , what a steal ^_^

CB29
01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Well, as a raptors fan i'm very happy to hear this however most players establish themselves during the ncaa tournament.

IndyRealist
01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
they should go back to force them to either play the full 4 years at ncaa, or play 4 full years of PRO basketball abroad ( mainly for the europeans).

They quality of the league will go up, the number of busts ( specially euro busts) will go down.

That was never a rule in the NBA, teams just preferred upperclassmen who had proven themselves a bit. Teams are so anxious to draft "the next big thing" these days that they blew a bunch of lottery picks on overhyped highschoolers, which is why the one and done rule was put into effect. Teams had to be protected from themselves.

It's one thing to say that a guy who's 17 shouldn't be allowed to decide to go pro when he graduates, it's another to tell a 21 year old he HAS to stay in school another year and risk injury.

J4KOP99
01-14-2013, 07:13 PM
That was never a rule in the NBA, teams just preferred upperclassmen who had proven themselves a bit. Teams are so anxious to draft "the next big thing" these days that they blew a bunch of lottery picks on overhyped highschoolers, which is why the one and done rule was put into effect. Teams had to be protected from themselves.

It's one thing to say that a guy who's 17 shouldn't be allowed to decide to go pro when he graduates, it's another to tell a 21 year old he HAS to stay in school another year and risk injury.

...mainly teams that were/are run by Michael Jordan.

TheNumber37
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
gems come out of all drafts.
I bet there's at least 1 all star talent in the draft.

I would like a 2 year rule for college though. NBA teams could also start drafting the older players higher setting a precedent that they are looking for experienced players.

CityofTreez
01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
McLemore is a boss!

icon1914
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
The one year rule has been put into place for years now... Don't see how this rule will cause problems for this draft when players like Rose, Blake, Westbrook, Curry, and Durrant have all come after this rule was imposed.... Some drafts are stacked, some drafts are thin...

JLynn943
01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm biased, but I think CJ McCollum will be pretty good. He can shoot, he's pretty athletic, and he's good at rebounding for a guard.

kubernetes
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
most players establish themselves during the ncaa tournament.

That was my thought. It seems to me the cream rises to the top during the tournament and that's when you really see if a player has potential.

WOwolfOL
01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Well if every team has this feeling, then no trade will be made haha. They can't all trade back.

chocolayo
01-14-2013, 07:54 PM
This draft class is really weak. I don't think Mclemore is as special as people put him out to be. But Shabazz on the other hand is a very talented player. The rest of the pack are likely to be role players with the exception of a few gems.

PacersForLife
01-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I feel like every year a lot of people say "this isn't a very good/deep draft class." Then they are usually wrong and most of the rookies are pretty productive.

Santana4Prez'08
01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
how is shabazz not a stud? he's been being hyped up for a while now. he's been dominant for ucla

RipCity32
01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Dont they say this every year about the draft besides last year.McLemore does look really good though from what I have seen.Also that's pretty funny about Davis and Lillaird being the only ones with star potential,Apparently this guy hasn't seen Andre Drummond play.

CB29
01-14-2013, 08:36 PM
That was my thought. It seems to me the cream rises to the top during the tournament and that's when you really see if a player has potential.

No one really knew Anthony Davis until the NCAA tourney last year.

RipCity32
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM

:confused:

topdog
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I think that scouts are overrated. The draft isn't for dumbies, but there is always talent to be found somewhere.

RipCity32
01-15-2013, 12:18 AM
McLemore just messed up his ankle and looked like he was im alot of pain and had to be walked off into the back.

waveycrockett
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
whoever gets noel, muhammed amd kyle andeson will be doin back flips

Duncan = Donkey
01-15-2013, 12:37 AM
We hear the same crap nearly every year, and the scouts always are proved to be wrong

KnicksPain
01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
whoever gets noel, muhammed amd kyle andeson will be doin back flips

Im not sure about Anderson honestly. I like his game, big pgs are always awesome but Im not sure if he can be a pg in the NBA and I dont think he can guard any position in the NBA so idk, curious how his career plays out. He reminds me of Turkolu with better handle and worse shooting.

lamzoka
01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Wasn't last year draft supposed to be the deepest draft since 2003 (Bron, wade, melo, bosh and them)

1. Davis 4.Waiters 5.Thomas Robinson 6.Ross 10. Rivers (he's a complete bust) they all role players at best.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-15-2013, 12:49 AM
I think they're be 2-3 all stars in this draft. No franchise players though.

MrfadeawayJB
01-15-2013, 12:51 AM
This may be true but really there is no way of telling except by projections. Watch this class be the best class since '07

PrettyBoyJ
01-15-2013, 01:05 AM
While some players are ready to come out after 1 year a lot of players need grooming.. Players who have the talent to play at the next level are in the minority.. A lot of these young guys need grooming and need to develop their game 2 years should be the rule would help the college game and the NBA.

KnicksPain
01-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Wasn't last year draft supposed to be the deepest draft since 2003 (Bron, wade, melo, bosh and them)

1. Davis 4.Waiters 5.Thomas Robinson 6.Ross 10. Rivers (he's a complete bust) they all role players at best.

They said it would be solid with Forwards who can contribute right away but not the best since 2003

Stunner
01-15-2013, 01:15 AM
The best class since 03 was the 08 draft class .

LongWayFromHome
01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
every draft on every single year there is always 2-4 players who's going to make a name for themselves.

2000 says hi.

Best players were Hedo and Jamal Crawford dude.

Edit: Michael Redd, but he only had about 4 good years.

Second Edit: point is nobody cares about anybody from that draft. I wouldn't say thay "made a name for themselves"

Stinkyoutsider
01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
I wonder if these 2 scouts are top class in quality? Interesting that both would come to the same conclusion...

There's always going to be 2 or 3 players in the draft that overachieve from what scouts thought they would do in the pros. The thing is, will it be a player who comes into the NBA slated as a good player and this player improves well enough in the first year or 2 to become a star. Imo, GMs wrestle with this decision every draft.

If management agrees that this is a weaker draft class coming up, there's no problem with trading your picks, especially for proven veteran players. Or, maybe you trade a 2 for 1 (trade a high 1st rounder for a 1st and 2nd rounder next year).

futureman
01-15-2013, 01:26 PM
They say every draft is bad. They don't know anything. The 2011 draft was supposed to be terrible and yet they got Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, Kenneth Faried, Kawi Leonard, Iman Shumpert, Kemba Walker, plus more.

PleaseBeNice
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
It will be deep with role players but no superstars.

You dont know that

ManRam
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
I want the Magic to keep their's. I acknowledge that this draft isn't very top heavy, but I still think it's best for us to use our draft picks on college players, rather than trading them for older/more expensive players. If we get the top pick I'd be very interested in moving down, or trying to trade it for a probable-high-2014 draft pick. But if we're sitting 3-10 I'm 100% fine with keeping it. There's a good amount of talent in that range. There just isn't a great #1 or #2 pick.

Even so, taking Shabazz or McLemore with the first pick wouldn't bother me as a Magic fan at all. As long as we tank again next year...

Jetsguy
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
They say every draft is bad. They don't know anything. The 2011 draft was supposed to be terrible and yet they got Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, Kenneth Faried, Kawi Leonard, Iman Shumpert, Kemba Walker, plus more.

yeah I can distinctly remember people saying this was the weakest draft class in years and there are several good players, many with big potential.

Chronz
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
I felt the same way about Kyrie's draft, including Kyrie himself. :facepalm:

topdog
01-15-2013, 09:07 PM
The issue is not talent itself, but the fact that there are no longer obvious top talents. It's a little bit of a crap shoot picking between guys like Evan Turner, Wes Johnson, Greg Monroe and Paul George or Barnes, Drummond, MKG and Beal.

I still feel like a good scout can and should be able to identify the right guys though and GMs should have balls enough to take a slight risk.

Hawkeye15
01-15-2013, 09:09 PM

abroad? No. I do think they should either allow them to come straight out of high school, or they have to stay 2 years minimum.

As for the article, while I agree there don't appear to be any superstars in this upcoming draft, 1-2 will emerge as all star players down the road. That is just how it happens.

Mr_Amaziing
01-15-2013, 09:38 PM
I would Love if Okc moved up to the top 3-4 to draft Nerlens Noel

dalton749
01-15-2013, 09:44 PM
the raps are back to their ****** ways so its possible for okc

Fresno
01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
I would Love if Okc moved up to the top 3-4 to draft Nerlens Noel

Ibaka & Noel in the same frontcourt would be unfair for the rest of the league.

If one freak shotblocker doesn't get you then the other one will block it from the weakside as a help defender.

Fresno
01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
They say this every draft since 2008 about how you should trade your pick and its nobody great and next thing you know GM's start offering star players for the 4th or 5th pick because they've fell in love with a prospect.

People got spoiled by the first year of 1 & Dones in 07 and 08 making those drafts special and now everyone is critical of those who come out each year.

Mr_Amaziing
01-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Ibaka & Noel in the same frontcourt would be unfair for the rest of the league.

If one freak shotblocker doesn't get you then the other one will block it from the weakside as a help defender.

Bingo!
:D That would be Soo Awesome

mdm692
01-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Bingo!
:D That would be Soo Awesome

You can Have Gortat, and the Lakers 1st(which is unprotected 1-14) for Tor 1st, Perkins and either Lamb or PJIII because Noel will be in a Suns uni goddamm it :mad:.

Just kidding :o.

GunFactor187
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I say the requirement should be at least three years in college before you are eligible.

NBA_Starter
01-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Just our luck :cry:

Blink
01-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Straight to NBA or two years of college.

RipCity32
01-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Nerlens Noel has a ton of potential he does resemble Anthony Davis just not as polished especially offensively but here are his stats in his last 2 games-

12pts,9rebs,6blks,4stls,2ast

15pts,11rebs,7blks,4stls,6ast

Mr_Amaziing
01-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Serge Ibaka and Nerlens Noel controlling the paint would be flat out NASTY!
Ino he's offense isn't that great but its a work in progress. Look at Ibaka for an example.. When he first came to Okc he didn't have a offensive game. He's been putting a lot of effort and have almost mastered the mid range jumper.
But with Durant and Westbrook he wouldn't have to score as much and he could focus on the thing he's Great at.. DEFENSE

Victimize
01-16-2013, 12:31 AM
This is precisely why I am so glad this is the year Utah finally gets my warriors first round pick.

Cal827
01-16-2013, 03:39 AM
Raptors traded the pick, but it's top 3 protected. Colangelo finally did something right. We will have our pick at the best prospects in the draft if we fall back into the bottom three, or move up in the lotto. Noel to Toronto :dance:

Ok, I just did that to piss off OKC fans. Srry, I'm just trying to find reasons for me not to go to the ACC and wait for BC to come out of his office and give him the Brian Burke 2 by 4 treatment :cry:

Manimal
01-16-2013, 06:58 AM
People said the same thing about the 09 draft.

Griffin, Evans, Rubio, Harden, Curry, Jennings, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Teague, Taj Gibson, DeJuan Blair, Jerebko, Budinger all came from that draft.

This year Noel, McLemore, MCW, McCollum, Burke, Shabazz etc are all there. I feel teams who can move up by paying a low price will do well for themselves.

Seguin
01-16-2013, 07:12 AM
They don't sound like very successful scouts.

Yet you're sitting here on psd with absolutely no credentials whatsoever :laugh2:

phoenix_bladen
01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
there's always going to be a few good players in every draft

these scouts are dumb

didn't everyone say the 2009 was weak?

don't buy it... would be funny next year when we find out there are actually really good players there

RipCity32
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Serge Ibaka and Nerlens Noel controlling the paint would be flat out NASTY!
Ino he's offense isn't that great but its a work in progress. Look at Ibaka for an example.. When he first came to Okc he didn't have a offensive game. He's been putting a lot of effort and have almost mastered the mid range jumper.
But with Durant and Westbrook he wouldn't have to score as much and he could focus on the thing he's Great at.. DEFENSE

I dont see OKC getting Noel mostly because hes going to go top3 in this draft but maybe you guys can get Zeller if you end up getting Torontos pick.

knicks=love
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Hahahaha whaaaaaaaaat?

ryder78c
01-16-2013, 12:06 PM
so trade any pick ok so if my blazers can get Noel while still keeping LA,Batum,Lillard im all for it

Noel
Aldridge
Batum
Barton
Lillard

trade Matthews,Hickson(sign & Trade),Future pick, for the pick that lands Nerlens Noel im all for even though i like those guys noel is Young and would help build the franchise with Lillard

Celtic AL
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Nerlens Noel & Shabazz are 2 players i want in this draft. After that the Pick is trade able.

a Rondo, Bradley Sullinger & Noel core tho :drool: man i can dream

BallIsAll
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
so trade any pick ok so if my blazers can get Noel while still keeping LA,Batum,Lillard im all for it

Noel
Aldridge
Batum
Barton
Lillard

trade Matthews,Hickson(sign & Trade),Future pick, for the pick that lands Nerlens Noel im all for even though i like those guys noel is Young and would help build the franchise with Lillard

no more sign and trades are allowed if i remember correctly..

koreancabbage
01-16-2013, 04:52 PM
no more sign and trades are allowed if i remember correctly..

no, i believe it is still available

yankeesown69
01-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Theres always standouts in every draft...rarely can there actually be a draft where there aren't at least a few bonafide nba players and some solid guys who will have lengthy careers doing the little things. They said the same thing a few years ago and that draft turned out to be filled with crazy nba talent