PDA

View Full Version : Byron Scott compares young Kyrie to young CP3

Clippersfan86
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Scott coached the '05-06 ROY in Paul and coaches the '11-12 ROY in Irving and was a damn good NBA guard himself.

When asked about Irving's potential on Sunday he did not fawn over his young point guard's potential as much as you'd think.

"It really depends on Kyrie, how good he wants to be," Scott said. "In talking to him, he wants to be one of the best. Right there, thatís a good start. A lot of it just depends on how hard is he willing to work to get there. Thatís going to be the key. Like I said, talent wise, he has just about as good of talent as anybody in the league at that position."

What about Paul?

"Chris as the same age, probably one of the toughest kids Iíve seen at that age and probably more determined than Iíve ever seen anybody," Scott said. "His competitive nature was probably as high as Iíve seen anybody at that age."

And here's the rub:

"Kyrie, he has some ways to go with that," Scott said.

What sets Chris apart from Kyrie in Scott's mind?

"His leadership, I thought Chris was much more of a leader at 20-years old," Scott said. "Right away you could tell that thatís what he was all about. Kyrie is getting to that point. Heís learning to be a leader. They have a bunch of similarities and then they have a lot of things that arenít nowhere near the same. Iíve been lucky. Iíve coached Chris Paul, who I think is the best point guard in the league, and Iím coaching a guy who could very arguably be the best point guard in the league in the next few years."

I think as basketball fans this kind of stuff is refreshing. To hear an honest coach compare players without any cliches like "Well they are different players". I love Kyrie and thought this was a cool little comparison of the two beasts.

NYKnickFanatic
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I could agree with that.

BALLER R
01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I can see that

C_Mund
01-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Always like Byron Scott. He seems like he'd be a good coach for young pg's

LAKobeBryant
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Kyrie is going be arguable the best pg in the league in about 2-3 years.

Weezy
01-14-2013, 02:25 PM
I agree.

Stunner
01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
except for the assist numbers

RenegadeRiot36
01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
except for the assist numbers

Wrong. His low assist numbere have nothing to do with his ability and all to do with the pathetic excuse for a team around him. At least 70% of his assists come in the 1st quarter of games because hes trying to get teammates going. Its also the least amount of points he scores too. The probem is when he does this, the Cavs start losing and his role on the team becomes unstoppable scorer and no longer facillitator. And even when he hits open teammates, they miss. A lot. Example: yesterday they missed 3 DUNKS off kyrie assists. Not layups. Open dunks. Those are just three of the worst examples and dont taken into account all the other open assisted shots they miss. It doesnt help that Waiters is literally the only true scorer on the team (forget the chucking Miles) and he cant do anything without the ball taking away best source of potentaial assists completely.

Stunner
01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Wrong. His low assist numbere have nothing to do with his ability and all to do with the pathetic excuse for a team around him. At least 70% of his assists come in the 1st quarter of games because hes trying to get teammates going. Its also the least amount of points he scores too. The probem is when he does this, the Cavs start losing and his role on the team becomes unstoppable scorer and no longer facillitator. And even when he hits open teammates, they miss. A lot. Example: yesterday they missed 3 DUNKS off kyrie assists. Not layups. Open dunks. Those are just three of the worst examples and dont taken into account all the other open assisted shots they miss. It doesnt help that Waiters is literally the only true scorer on the team (forget the chucking Miles) and he cant do anything without the ball taking away best source of potentaial assists completely.

not necessarily if your are a good playmaker you can set up your teammates with easy ways to get baskets example : John Wall and D Will in with the Net his 1st year. ok in his 1st year he only averaged 30 mins of play he averaged 5.4 assist a game , this year he is playing 6 more mins and only up'd it to only .3 smh. There is no reason why he should be around 7 assist with his ability. And with him being the main option that should help him more. He can still balance scoring and passing. John yes even though he logged in 36 mins a game his 1st two years pulled in 8 assist a game with an equally as bad of a roster as Kyrie's and he not even as big or a threat at all as shooting the ball like Kyrie is. All im saying his with his talent there is no excuse.

b@llhog24
01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
As much as I like Kyrie, the only reason he's gonna pass Paul is cause Paul has to decline.

Kashmir13579
01-14-2013, 08:50 PM
better shooter

MrfadeawayJB
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
I think Kyrie could end up being better then cp3

YoungOne
01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
better shooter, worse playmaker than cp3 back in the day

Cracka2HI!
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Funny this is he is technically a Clippers draft pick. I wonder what the Clippers would have done had they drafted Kyrie?