PDA

View Full Version : Can Stephen Curry break Ray Allen's record of 3 pointers in a season?

JiffyMix88
01-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Warrior fans had a bit of a scare last night but barring injuries can you see Stephen breaking the record of 269 3 pointers in a season?

The reason I ask this is Curry has been shooting about 7 3 pointers a game but he's also shooting a mind boggling 46% from downtown. He's also making the same amout of 3 pointers Ray Allen averaged a game that year(3 a game).

I can see him making a run at the record because I can't see him getting into no shooting slump he can't get out of.

adidas2307
01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, let's see. The Warriors have played 36 games and Steph has 113 threes made. He's on pace for about 257 right now, so not exactly the record. However, I think he can do it and I would love to see him do it. Just really hope he doesn't get hurt for an extended amount of time again.

tredigs
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Should be close. Steph Curry is on another level, best shooter ever.

JiffyMix88
01-14-2013, 11:36 AM

I wouldn't go that far. Still think Ray Allen has the quickest release to go along with the best form I've ever seen. I do think Stephen Curry will break it(barring injuries of course) especially with how many more three's it seems he's been shooting and making the last month.

Rockice_8
01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Ryan Anderson is on a good pace as well. I think he's off Ray's pace but can make a push if he gets hot.

ThaDubs
01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
What I'm also interested in is him beating Steve Curr's career 3P% record. Steph is currently in 2nd place by .001 behind him. I hope the injuries don't **** him up again though. I thought I was going to die last night but it's a good sign that he was able to come right back into the game and hit the and-1 3.

lamzoka
01-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Ryan Anderson is on the pace of breaking it. i dont hink its gonna happen tho

montafan
01-14-2013, 11:48 AM
dont think he will get it this year. all time threes by the time his career is over for sure though

Kuya_Clive
01-14-2013, 11:49 AM
I think Steph Curry is the best shooter in the NBA right now. Most 3's made with the 2nd highest percentage. I am so glad he is on my fantasy team. He's been increasing the number of 3's made per game each month so he may be able to do it.

ThaDubs
01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Steph was 7/9 for 3's last night. He keeps shooting like that on the road and keeps doing what he does at home and he could break plenty of records. What he needs to be more consistent with scoring in the 2nd half. I've seen multiple 20+ first halfs followed by slow second halfs. He likes to focus on distributing the ball in the second.

Chronz
01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Raises the interesting question of which to value higher, off the dribble creation (the kind Curry excels in) or off movement (Ray Allen). Both are automatic when left open thats for sure.

sp1derm00
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Raises the interesting question of which to value higher, off the dribble creation (the kind Curry excels in) or off movement (Ray Allen). Both are automatic when left open thats for sure.

The thing is, Curry shoots well off the ball as well. Monta used to set him up a lot of the time.

Same thing with Ray Allen. He used to create for himself all the time on the Bucks/Sonics. His percentages have gotten higher since switching to primarily playing off the ball though.

JiffyMix88
01-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Well your thinking about post Super Sonic Ray Allen. Ray could do it all, he sacrificed his game so Boston could win a title. Also I think his age has played a factor in not being able to beat the younger gaurds of the dribble like he could in Milwaukee and Seattle.

asandhu23
01-14-2013, 12:17 PM
The thing is, Curry shoots well off the ball as well. Monta used to set him up a lot of the time.

Same thing with Ray Allen. He used to create for himself all the time on the Bucks/Sonics. His percentages have gotten higher since switching to primarily playing off the ball though.

definitely. Ellis drove in, drew defenses with him and passed out to the perimeter for an easy 3.

Jeff559
01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Warrior fans had a bit of a scare last night but barring injuries can you see Stephen breaking the record of 269 3 pointers in a season?

The reason I ask this is Curry has been shooting about 7 3 pointers a game but he's also shooting a mind boggling 46% from downtown. He's also making the same amout of 3 pointers Ray Allen averaged a game that year(3 a game).

I can see him making a run at the record because I can't see him getting into no shooting slump he can't get out of.

A triple negative. Cannot compute. My brain is shutting down. Obviously he has a shot.

Chronz
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Thats called set shooting, both are automatic when set. What I was referring to was shot creation, not being set up.

Same thing? I dont think so

Chronz
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Well your thinking about post Super Sonic Ray Allen. Ray could do it all, he sacrificed his game so Boston could win a title. Also I think his age has played a factor in not being able to beat the younger gaurds of the dribble like he could in Milwaukee and Seattle.

What makes you think so?

JiffyMix88
01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
What makes you think so?

Think he can't beat the younger players of the dribble? For one he doesn't and for two the coaches(Doc and Eric) use him where he's best, coming off screens on a catch and shoot or his notorious transistion 3.

Ebbs
01-14-2013, 02:35 PM

Wow bold.

kozelkid
01-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Wow bold.

Well, he is a Warriors fan. :laugh2:

Chronz
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Think he can't beat the younger players of the dribble? For one he doesn't and for two the coaches(Doc and Eric) use him where he's best, coming off screens on a catch and shoot or his notorious transistion 3.
I meant to ask, what makes you think Im not talking about vintage Ray?

Expressions like "he could do it all" are cliches to me, when your comparing Ray and Curry there are obviously differences in how they approach the game and how their teams utilize their strengths.

Like Curry has been lights out this year but hes clearly not as adept at coming off pindowns and downscreens as Ray is to this very day. Ray has always been the master at creating bombs with his off the ball movement.

Whereas Curry clearly takes more of his 3's in PnR/Isolation. Aside from that, they are both equals in every other sense from what I can recall.

I mean if they are both taking similar rate of 3's then they obviously are getting them in different ways considering their playstyles.

tredigs
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Well, he is a Warriors fan. :laugh2:

It's true, and I mostly said it to gauge a response, but it's a tough claim for someone to deny, especially the fact that he's this insane this young. Let's look at a couple stats: He broke the record for most 3's by a rookie and led the league in FT% his sophomore season (and is currently third all time in the category for a career, 0.004 behind Nash/Price). To go along with breaking the record for 3's made by a rookie and now being on pace to challenge Rays record for 3's made by anyone in a season ever, he's 2nd all time in 3pt% behind only Kerr (and it's a razor thin margin), with Kerr never even reaching 3 attempts a game at any point in his career (Steph's average is 5, currently at 6.8 this year).

Given his age (and the fact that he already has the best overall shooting stats), I really don't think it's a stretch to say that Stephen Curry is the best shooter to ever play the game. A 200+ game sample size, especially considering what we saw from 3 years at Davidson, is no fluke. I'll admit that it doesn't hurt my perception of him that I've been to countless games and that pull back/quick release is the most automatic shot as I've ever seen. Maybe if I saw Ray live more often I'd feel differently, but the numbers support Steph so far.

mdm692
01-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Mr. 4x 40-50-90 club says hi.

TrueFan420
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
If Bogut comes back yes. It will give him a post player that can command a double and get him even more open looks

SportsFanatic10
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
It's true, and I mostly said it to gauge a response, but it's a tough claim for someone to deny, especially the fact that he's this insane this young. Let's look at a couple stats: He broke the record for most 3's by a rookie and led the league in FT% his sophomore season (and is currently third all time in the category for a career, 0.004 behind Nash/Price). To go along with breaking the record for 3's made by a rookie and now being on pace to challenge Rays record for 3's made by anyone in a season ever, he's 2nd all time in 3pt% behind only Kerr (and it's a razor thin margin), with Kerr never even reaching 3 attempts a game at any point in his career (Steph's average is 5, currently at 6.8 this year).

Given his age (and the fact that he already has the best overall shooting stats), I really don't think it's a stretch to say that Stephen Curry is the best shooter to ever play the game. A 200+ game sample size, especially considering what we saw from 3 years at Davidson, is no fluke. I'll admit that it doesn't hurt my perception of him that I've been to countless games and that pull back/quick release is the most automatic shot as I've ever seen. Maybe if I saw Ray live more often I'd feel differently, but the numbers support Steph so far.

i gotta say, that's some impressive ****! i haven't followed him closely, i knew he was a great shooter, but i didn't realize he was keeping that kind of company so far. if only his ankles can stay strong it will be interesting to see what he can do down the road.

Chronz
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Mr. 4x 40-50-90 club says hi.

Nash held back to set others up, Curry is abit more prolific I think

nycericanguy
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
The 3 pt shot has become more and more a focal point of offenses. Alot of teams go by the theory now that layups and 3's are the best shots... midrange and long 2's are low % shots when compared to stepping out a few feet further and getting an extra point.

E.g shooting 33% from 3 is alot better than shooting 45% from midrange.

A decade ago DAL led the NBA in 3 pt attempts with 17 per game... now the league average is over 20 attempts per game.

So while Curry is obviously a great shooter, keep in mind just about EVERYONE is attempting ALOT more 3's in today's NBA.

Chronz
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
The 3 pt shot has become more and more a focal point of offenses. Alot of teams go by the theory now that layups and 3's are the best shots... midrange and long 2's are low % shots when compared to stepping out a few feet further and getting an extra point.

A decade ago DAL led the NBA in 3 pt attempts with 17 per game... now the league average is over 20 attempts per game.

So while Curry is obviously a great shooter, keep in mind just about EVERYONE is attempting ALOT more 3's in today's NBA.
Good point

Is it unfair to Curry for not standing out above his league as much as Ray? Or is that the way these sort of things go?

TrueFan420
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM

But as stated his % is also high as **** so its not just about the volume that he is shooting

nycericanguy
01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
But as stated his % is also high as **** so its not just about the volume that he is shooting

never said he wasn't a great shooter, just saying the game has changed, so take some of these records into perspective.

tredigs
01-14-2013, 07:31 PM
never said he wasn't a great shooter, just saying the game has changed, so take some of these records into perspective.

The teams do indeed understand now how crucial threes are to success, but once again that does not diminish a bit how much greater Steph is at the shot. The fact that teams shoot it more does not change the fact that nobody has ever shot it at a better clip (Kerr being the only one, and that's with a huge * being that he shot so few, and really did the bulk of his damage in the period when the 3pt line was brought in).

It's the volume + % combination that is so important to note here. He's essentially a chucker from 3 who misses less than anyone ever, while also being as automatic from the line as anybody in league history.

ThaDubs
01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Wow bold.

He is 2nd all time career 3P% only to Steve Curr by .001 who couldn't create for himself like Steph. Steve also never averaged 3 attempts per game. Steph is the best shooter in the game and is steadily on his way to being one of the best ever. If not THE best.

kozelkid
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM

It could very well be true, but the raw number of makes shouldn't really be the measurement for it, in my opinion, given the evolution of the league and how many more 3's players seem to take these days than even just 5 years ago let alone 20 in the days of Mark Price.

JiffyMix88
02-28-2013, 09:17 AM
So even after Curry missed some games mid way through the season that really did hurt his chances of breaking the record, he bounced back last night. So now he's at 177 and if he continues to hit at least 3 three balls per game he'd be at 261 just 8 short of the record. After the last two games he's made 18 threes so I'm pretty sure he'll make more than 3 in a couple of them and I think he will break the record(barring injuries of course).

OceanSpray
02-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Curry might end up the leader in three point makes if he plays like this for another 8 years.. Pure shooter, this kid is seriously the best ever at it. Wow... his 3 point % is higher than his FG%.. wtf?

Guppyfighter
02-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Curry might end up the leader in three point makes if he plays like this for another 8 years.. Pure shooter, this kid is seriously the best ever at it. Wow... his 3 point % is higher than his FG%.. wtf?

Yeah, he is not even a spot up shooter.

NoahH
02-28-2013, 04:48 PM
So GS has 24 games left and Curry has 177 threes so far and needs to get to 270 to pass Ray allen. So... 93 threes in 24 games. That's almost 4 threes a game. Thats tough

JiffyMix88
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
So GS has 24 games left and Curry has 177 threes so far and needs to get to 270 to pass Ray allen. So... 93 threes in 24 games. That's almost 4 threes a game. Thats tough

True but if there was one person in the league right now that I think could actually average 4 3s per game it is Curry