PDA

View Full Version : Talent Identification

heattiltheend94
01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
If you look at the arguably top 15 players (no particular order) and where they went in the draft:
LeBron James (1)
Durant (2)
Paul (4)
Howard (1)
Wade (5)
Carmelo Anthony (3)
Duncan (1)
Westbrook (5)
Harden (3)
Deron Williams (3)
Rose (1)
Bosh (4)
Garnett (5)

All of these players are top 5 picks with the exceptions being Rondo (21) and Kobe Bryant (13).

Now I am obviously not saying that all top picks are successful which can be see by Thabeet, Milicic, etc. and not saying that good players can come later such as Ginobli, Parker (28), among others, but with the exception of Rondo and Bryant, the top tier NBA players are all extremely high draft picks.

It is truly remarkable that the talent represented by the best basketball individuals are visible from such a young age as many of them come to the NBA after one year of college and in the cases of Kobe and Lebron, straight out of high school.

What is the reason for this phenom of having the best individuals all being such high picks while in other sports such as the NFL great players can come much later such as Tom Brady, Arian Foster, etc.? I have thought about this and do not know. Perhaps basketball is more skill/athletically based compared to other sports which require greater IQ and understanding which can be acquired through a long period of time. Just spit balling

ricky recon
01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
There are more positions to fill in football. That simple.

Chronz
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Yea I would need alot more knowledge about other sports to adequately compare the teamwork involved. I follow the NFL but I do not understand the little nuances and complexities of the game. I dont know **** about the MLB tho.

ManRam
01-13-2013, 01:45 PM
If you look at the arguably top 15 players (no particular order) and where they went in the draft:
LeBron James (1)
Durant (2)
Paul (4)
Howard (1)
Wade (5)
Carmelo Anthony (3)
Duncan (1)
Westbrook (5)
Harden (3)
Deron Williams (3)
Rose (1)
Bosh (4)
Garnett (5)

All of these players are top 5 picks with the exceptions being Rondo (21) and Kobe Bryant (13).

Now I am obviously not saying that all top picks are successful which can be see by Thabeet, Milicic, etc. and not saying that good players can come later such as Ginobli, Parker (28), among others, but with the exception of Rondo and Bryant, the top tier NBA players are all extremely high draft picks.

It is truly remarkable that the talent represented by the best basketball individuals are visible from such a young age as many of them come to the NBA after one year of college and in the cases of Kobe and Lebron, straight out of high school.

What is the reason for this phenom of having the best individuals all being such high picks while in other sports such as the NFL great players can come much later such as Tom Brady, Arian Foster, etc.? I have thought about this and do not know. Perhaps basketball is more skill/athletically based compared to other sports which require greater IQ and understanding which can be acquired through a long period of time. Just spit balling

I think it is easier to evaluate talent in the NBA; it jumps off the page more. Also, with football there are so many more variables involved with everything. Fit matters so much more too...basketball you just step on the court and play essentially.

Also, it's fine to not mention Rondo. He's not in the same class as these guys.

heattiltheend94
01-13-2013, 04:26 PM
I think it is easier to evaluate talent in the NBA; it jumps off the page more. Also, with football there are so many more variables involved with everything. Fit matters so much more too...basketball you just step on the court and play essentially.

While I agree with the statement about talent jumping out, basketball does also require chemistry (Lakers and Kings come to mind as talented teams but are not playing well together). But while chemistry does matter for team success (lakers and eagles are prime examples), you can't argue that for the players however though. In the NFL, Jamal Charles, and Joe Haden are very good still; regardless of their teams success. Trent Richardson had a great rookie season despite having a mediocre offencive line and subpar play from Weeden.

KnicksorBust
01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Roster size is a huge reason why you will find more "steals" in other sports. However, I love that you made this thread though because hopefully it will stop the tears of all the posters who complain about the "busts" their team has picked. Picks from the middle of the lottery and on are hits or miss. It certainly favors the bottoming out strategy.