PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith accidental leak that D12 coming to ATL?

Everymanalion
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
OBVIOUSLY JOSH SMITH NOT JOHN, I hate Auto-Correct on my phone:( How the **** do I edit the title?

Josh Smith knows this. Proof?

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2013/01/11/20130110-josh-smith.nba/

Skip to 8:10.

Josh Smith may have accidentally revealed Dwight is coming to ATL by saying:

"Who wouldn't want to play with one of the most dominant big men in the league? Everybody wants him, he's a hot commodity ... Right now he's getting his health back right and his conditioning back right ... When he gets here, he's gonna be a monster."

He is ditching L.A to sign with ATL after this season?

Say what? Mistake? They are best friends......I am not a huge Hawks fan but after what Bosh, D-Wade and LBJ did in 2010, I finally believe in some NBA conspiracy theories being true ha.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Stop doing drugs.

Sssmush
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
without listening to the recording, I am reasonably sure that he said "when he gets THERE."

Still, I never thought it was impossible that he might wind up in Atlanta. Although he does get a massive shoe money bonus if he plays in LA or NY, as I understand it, an amount possibly much larger than his actual salary.

But yeah, Atlanta, good destination for him. Maybe he just chucks it all and goes there, he can do some cameos on "real housewives"

Everymanalion
01-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Stop doing drugs.

Hometown/Best friend/Decent team.

I could see it happening, esp. over Dallas. I thought at the start of the season who would leave L.A.? But now...Dwight looks to be being blamed along with pringles for all their problems...

HouRealCoach
01-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Don't bet on it

Chronz
01-12-2013, 11:10 PM
That has been the rumor for awhile now, its why the Hawks dont want to trade Josh Smith and would rather let him expire than compromise their flexibility.

Chronz
01-12-2013, 11:12 PM
LMFAO

How ridic would it be if CP3 and Dwight both ditched LA for the ATL?

Everymanalion
01-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Off topic but how the hell do I edit the title to Josh Smith, not John? haha

bucketss
01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
so what happens to horford? does smith just move to sf so they all can start? can josh even play sf.

JNoel
01-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Sign and trade for Horford perhaps?

Everymanalion
01-12-2013, 11:20 PM
I think Mitch would be stupid to not trade D12 if he keeps playing these "I will make my decision at the end of the season" games....I don't think Howard realizes how big of a deal it would be to go down in history as a top Laker center ever...I don't think he cares with that goofy *** attitude anyways....

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Dwightahontas will never come and join John Smith... Never! They're from different worlds!

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:21 PM
But in all seriousness, it's definitely a possibility. I think it's between ATL and LAL.

xxplayerxx23
Sign and trade for Horford perhaps?

Why would Atlanta trade horford if Dwight is just going to sign outright?
Smith-horford-Dwight front line is pure sex lol

LAKobeBryant
d12 wants to win right away if he ditches la its going be a team with a top 10 player already on the team.

Everymanalion
01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Dwights a *****, even worse than "The Decision".

Stuckey#3
01-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Josh Smith played SF for his first 2-3 years in the league. He used to take a lot of 3's as well.

Kyben36
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
dont think that they have room to sign him anyways ??? do they. I guese after dumping Joe Johnson they might be able to but it seems like they dont have cap room to me.

ldawg
Not a good move IMO Atlanta is not a good basketball town. Their arena dont sell out and they always seem to have a decent team.

Stuckey#3
Horford's natural position is PF. Smith/Horford/Howard could be one of the best front couts of all time.

shep33
[QUOTE=Stuckey#3;25072687]Josh Smith played SF for his first 2-3 years in the league. He used to take a lot of 3's as well.[/QUOTE

The last thing you want is Josh on the perimeter more.

*Silver&Black*
01-12-2013, 11:27 PM
dont think that they have room to sign him anyways ??? do they. I guese after dumping Joe Johnson they might be able to but it seems like they dont have cap room to me.

We have enough to sign him next year, plus.

Wonder if we will see more Hawks fans on here if Howard comes? BandwagonSportsDaily.

Stuckey#3
01-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I doubt the ATL fan base is big enough to draw D12 and CP3. It's kind of sad that they have been a playoff team for a decade and have trouble filling seats.

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I might be in the minority, but it's a good chance he goes there. That being said, ATL might screw themselves a bit, because they almost have to keep Josh. By keeping him, you know he's going to get like an 80 mill contract or something like that.

Add Dwight's big money deal, and remember they have a qualifying offer on Teague who is also going to get paid big money. They'll have to trade Horford, no purpose of having him there if Dwight comes.

But if they keep Smith, they basically kill their cap flexibility for years to come.

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:29 PM
CP3 is staying. No way he leaves. He's on the best team in the NBA, which is also one of the youngest teams in the NBA. Why leave?

*Silver&Black*
01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Teague
Jenkins/Lou Williams
Josh Smith
Al Horford
Dwight Howard

add 2 1st round draft picks for the upcoming draft, that is a 8 man rotation right there. Fill out the roster with vet min players.

JOhnnyTHaJet
01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
DWill and Dwight were also best friends....

those comments dont mean much to me, although, Atlanta could very well be where he ends up next season.

xxplayerxx23
01-12-2013, 11:33 PM
I might be in the minority, but it's a good chance he goes there. That being said, ATL might screw themselves a bit, because they almost have to keep Josh. By keeping him, you know he's going to get like an 80 mill contract or something like that.

Add Dwight's big money deal, and remember they have a qualifying offer on Teague who is also going to get paid big money. They'll have to trade Horford, no purpose of having him there if Dwight comes.

But if they keep Smith, they basically kill their cap flexibility for years to come.

Why horford is a natural pf. Smith can play sf. There in win now mode if Dwight comes so I don't think they will care much tbh

*Silver&Black*
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
DWill and Dwight were also best friends....

those comments dont mean much to me, although, Atlanta could very well be where he ends up next season.

Did they grow up together like Smith/Howard?

xxplayerxx23
01-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Teague
Jenkins/Lou Williams
Josh Smith
Al Horford
Dwight Howard

add 2 1st round draft picks for the upcoming draft, that is a 8 man rotation right there. Fill out the roster with vet min players.

Morrow and Korver are gone? They would be a perfect for to that team

Hellcrooner
01-12-2013, 11:35 PM
He may be implying HE wants to be traded to L.A?

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Teague
Jenkins/Lou Williams
Josh Smith
Al Horford
Dwight Howard

Honestly don't like the idea of Horford staying if they do get him.

Watching Dwight play with Pau is kind of tough. Dwight needs spacing, shooters all around him and room to operate in the middle.

I'd deal Horford. Defensively that's a beast team, but Dwight wants to score 25 ppg. To do that he needs to play in a particular system imo, basically Orlando's system. High P&R with nobody in the middle and shooters all around

xxplayerxx23
01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Croon logic :pity: re read the article

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Why horford is a natural pf. Smith can play sf. There in win now mode if Dwight comes so I don't think they will care much tbh

Again, Dwight would not be as good offensively playing with those guys. He is not a dominant post player.

Also, you don't want Josh Smith to stay around the perimeter. Teams will leave him wide open to take 3's and long jumpers.

I think one of Horford or Smith has to go, and I think that'll be Horford

JNoel
Why would Atlanta trade horford if Dwight is just going to sign outright?
Smith-horford-Dwight front line is pure sex lol

Yes, it would be a boner-inducing frontline :D

*Silver&Black*
Morrow and Korver are gone? They would be a perfect for to that team

If we can re-sign Korver, I would love him back. Larry Drew doesn't play Morrow sadly, and Jenkins has pretty much took his spot. Though Morrow is also close to Dwight, so we might have grouped his friends together to make him come here.

*Silver&Black*
01-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Honestly don't like the idea of Horford staying if they do get him.

If we have to trade Horford, it will prob be for a upgrade at PG then, someone who can lead Smith and Howard. But who would trade a all-star PG for Horford?

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:48 PM
If we have to trade Horford, it will prob be for a upgrade at PG then, someone who can lead Smith and Howard. But who would trade a all-star PG for Horford?

That's a tough one. Do you think Teague could lead them? Maybe you just trade Horford for picks or something, re-sign Teague and Smith, and get Dwight?

You'll have a bunch of picks, so maybe rooks help out, or you can trade those picks with Horfords trade exception.

shep33
01-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Another thing to consider is if ATL's owners are willing to go into the luxury tax? Who owns them silver&black? And do you know if he cares about dealing out money? Lol, considering Joe Johnson's contract I'd assume not

xxplayerxx23
01-12-2013, 11:52 PM
If we can re-sign Korver, I would love him back. Larry Drew doesn't play Morrow sadly, and Jenkins has pretty much took his spot. Though Morrow is also close to Dwight, so we might have grouped his friends together to make him come here.

Yeah man Korver and morrow would be a perfect fit on that team

*Silver&Black*
01-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Another thing to consider is if ATL's owners are willing to go into the luxury tax? Who owns them silver&black? And do you know if he cares about dealing out money? Lol, considering Joe Johnson's contract I'd assume not

GM Danny Ferry pretty much runs all operations now (sent Joe packing was something the owners wouldn't have done), gave us huge salary cap space for the summer to go after a star player. His goal is to land a franchise player I believe, so either that is Howard, a trade, or getting lucky in the draft. Weird that most of the team he brought in are 3 point shooters (Korver, Morrow, rookie Jenkins), add to Lou Williams and Teague who can also shoot from 3, wonder if that would be enough to space the floor with a Smith/Horford/Howard frontcourt? I think so.

Lou Williams, John Jenkins (rookie contract) and Al Horford are the only players I believe that have contracts going into next season with us. We have cap space.

ldawg
01-12-2013, 11:58 PM
the Hawks were for sale not to long ago. Even with a good team fans dont follow the hawks. That would be a bad move for Howard.

ldawg
01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Howard best bet is to remain with the Lakers.

ldawg
01-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Lakers were pretty stupid for not accepting Smith for Pau. Pau has value more than one might think. At this point in his career he is a center and the last time i looked many teams can use a skill center. Hell teams are still in a line for Oden. Pau is just having a hard time playing pf and shooting threes.

xxplayerxx23
01-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Howard is Ganna bolt might as well get Lopez in a trade from Brooklyn lol

*Silver&Black*
01-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Lakers were pretty stupid for not accepting Smith for Pau.

Ferry has declined any Smith trade this season after speaking with him over the summer (wonder why), I don't know how the Lakers had a chance to decline anything. From what I read, Hawks told Lakers no.

Hawks pitched Magic an offer for Howard this summer. Magic decline, not wanting to trade him within the division. We are going after him this summer regardless. I feel Ferry will go for it all or rebuild this summer, try to sign Dwight 1st, then re-sign Smith. If Dwight doesn't come here, I can see Smith walking and we rebuild with Teague/Horford/Jenkins.

dalton749
01-13-2013, 12:10 AM
if dwight goes to atlanta a trade involving bargnani and horford would be good for both sides

*Silver&Black*
01-13-2013, 12:12 AM
I wonder if Boston falls apart this summer, would they be up for a Rondo for Teague/Horford trade? They can rebuild with Teague/Bradley/Green/Horford and we have 3 friends together Rondo/Smith/Howard.

Chill_Will_24
01-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Howard is Ganna bolt might as well get Lopez in a trade from Brooklyn lol

According to NetsDaily, the Nets are happy with Lopez who is having an all star caliber season. I am sure they would be willing to take his call but they will not be calling Mike Kupchak for Dwight. I wish they would. Brook Lopez is not as great as the Nets think

xxplayerxx23
01-13-2013, 12:14 AM
I don't see Boston doing that bud^

xxplayerxx23
01-13-2013, 12:15 AM
According to NetsDaily, the Nets are happy with Lopez who is having an all star caliber season. I am sure they would be willing to take his call but they will not be calling Mike Kupchak for Dwight. I wish they would. Brook Lopez is not as great as the Nets think

Lopez is solid but I think la might call if they do I think Brooklyn pulls the trigger

shep33
01-13-2013, 12:17 AM
GM Danny Ferry pretty much runs all operations now (sent Joe packing was something the owners wouldn't have done), gave us huge salary cap space for the summer to go after a star player. His goal is to land a franchise player I believe, so either that is Howard, a trade, or getting lucky in the draft. Weird that most of the team he brought in are 3 point shooters (Korver, Morrow, rookie Jenkins), add to Lou Williams and Teague who can also shoot from 3, wonder if that would be enough to space the floor with a Smith/Horford/Howard frontcourt? I think so.

Lou Williams, John Jenkins (rookie contract) and Al Horford are the only players I believe that have contracts going into next season with us. We have cap space.

Yeah, you guys have lots of money to spend. I wonder how much Josh gets? I think he's staying. The issue is say you sign Josh for 15-16 mill a year. Add in Howard getting around 20 mill, Horford at 12 mill per year for the next 3 after this. Between those 3 players that comes to 48 mill. Lou's 5 makes it 53 and Jenkins makes it 54 mill. So Dwight, Smith, Horford, Lou and Jenkins combine for about 54 mill. That basically gives them 4 mill to spend before they hit the cap.

Lots of spots to fill still, and no point guard. Just don't see the purpose of keeping Horford. Re-sign Zaza and get another big on the cheap because Dwight plays 40 mpg anyways.

Trade Horford, keep teague and save more money to build a team. Teague won't get 12 mill per year like Horford is getting, maybe like 7-9 mill.

Again, just watching Gasol and Howard play together is tough at times. It's like Dwight almost needs a stretch 4 to give him all that room to operate. Honestly don't see it working out well offensively with Smith, Horford and Howard out there at the same time.

Atl Bill
01-13-2013, 12:18 AM
if we could trade, teauge + horford and our two draft picks this year for, rondo n paul pierce n sign d12 in the summer n extend josh. we'd b nasty.

Chill_Will_24
01-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Lopez is solid but I think la might call if they do I think Brooklyn pulls the trigger

I do not buy that the Nets would say no but inside sources insist they are done chasing Howard. They will not be initiating calls for him.

shep33
01-13-2013, 12:21 AM
I don't think the Lakers would want Lopez. Not because he's not a good player, but I think they'd rather go in full rebuild mode that build around Brook.

fin_frenzy_84
01-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Isnt Josh Smith a FA himself???

Sandman
01-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Not sure that theyd trade Horford just because of Dwight..

"I've been begging [general manager] Rick Sund and the Hawks for the last three years - please get a center so my son can pay his normal position," the elder Horford said Tuesday from his home in the Dominican Republic. "He can't push guys out of the box like I could. If he moved to forward, he would have a longer career."

Vinny642
01-13-2013, 12:25 AM
;)

fin_frenzy_84
01-13-2013, 12:32 AM
I could see Howard coming back to his home town.

Trade Horford a stud SF

Teague/Harris
Lou/Morrow
Trade/Korver
Smith/Ivan
Howard/Zaza

Dangerous

Chill_Will_24
01-13-2013, 12:35 AM
I don't think the Lakers would want Lopez. Not because he's not a good player, but I think they'd rather go in full rebuild mode that build around Brook.

Moreover that Lopez is a terrible fit for the Mike D'Antoni system

*Silver&Black*
01-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Just thinking of other teams trying to score in the paint on Smith and Howard.

C-Wick925
01-13-2013, 12:40 AM
without listening to the recording, I am reasonably sure that he said "when he gets THERE."

LOL THIS x10

LA_Raiders
01-13-2013, 12:44 AM
lol. ok

Chill_Will_24
01-13-2013, 12:45 AM
I could see Howard coming back to his home town.

Trade Horford a stud SF

Teague/Harris
Lou/Morrow
Trade/Korver
Smith/Ivan
Howard/Zaza

Dangerous

How many players have actually ever signed with their hometowns when they had the opportunity to do so?

Deron did not go to the Mavs
Wade did not go to the Bulls
Bosh did not go to the Rockets
Lebron left the Cavs

I do not think it matters as much to players as people like to think. Either way i have trouble seeing Howard not playing for a top market

With the exception of Tayshawn Prince and Micheal Redd the entire 2008 olympic squad is playing in either New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Miami

Atlanta is an ok place in terms of marketability so i guess we will see how it plays out. I have doubts he will go there. If he really wanted to he could have included them in his list of teams he wanted to go to and Orlando would have traded him there since ATL had the pieces to get a deal done.. However Howard had no desire to play there. It was Brooklyn, Dallas, then LA

*Silver&Black*
01-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Orlando would have traded him there since ATL had the pieces to get a deal done.. However Howard had no desire to play there. It was Brooklyn, Dallas, then LA

Orlando didn't want to trade him to the Hawks, because Hawks offered Horford+, and Magic didn't want a trade within the division. Horford going back to Florida on the Magic > what they got. He didn't include Hawks because we were over the cap and didn't have a GM like Ferry at the time so ownership was running things. Now we have cap space, and a future plan with a stable GM. Now he can't go to Brooklyn through FA, I believe only Lakers, Mavs and Hawks can afford him. Would you want to play with Smith/Horford (guys your age), an aging Dirk, or Kobe?

Chill_Will_24
01-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Just thinking of other teams trying to score in the paint on Smith and Howard.

Just think of teams trying to deal with Lebron and Kobe together with Pau Gasol in LA..

Yea a lot of teams can play that game. It's best to just let things play out. Keep in mind Howard had no desire to play for Atlanta last year when Atlanta had everything Orlando wanted to make a deal happen. yet he was stubborn in his desire for only 3 teams

If he wanted to be in ATL so bad he would be there. It was one of the easiest places for him to force himself to with them having so many assets

Chill_Will_24
01-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Orlando didn't want to trade him to the Hawks, because Hawks offered Horford+, and Magic didn't want a trade within the division. Horford going back to Florida on the Magic > what they got.

Wrong. Orlando never got into any serious talks with ATL. I followed the Dwight stuff closely being a Brooklyn fan. I believe they were at one point willing to take him without his assurances that he would resign but the talks never became serious because Howard wanted only 3 specific teams and the Magic were trying to trade him in good faith to a team of his choosing

Remember that HOU had a plethora of assets and were also willing to take Howard without his signature but ORL but the talks never got serious

We can speculate all day but what has always been known is that Howard only had 3 teams on his list.

Also your assertion is wrong about them not wanting to trade within the conference. According to NetsDaily the reason ORL chose not to go with Lopez was because of his foot injury, not because of the same conference stuff.

c.c.
01-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Smith/Howard/Horford > MWP/Gasol/Howard

ldawg
01-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Hawks is not in a good market. Atlanta is not a basketball town. That would be a huge mistake by Mr Howard leave Orlando for La to end up on Hawks in Atlanta? what a down grade.

todu82
01-13-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't see Dwight re-signing with the Lakers after this season. Also Atlanta may be his hometown but I doubt he signs there in the off-season.

Panthers4life
01-13-2013, 10:49 AM

raptors for kyle lowry?

God..

PG-Lowry
SG-Lou Will
SF-Korver
PF-J-Smoove
C-Dwight

bench: Jenkins, Morrow, Stevenson, Zaza, plus 2 firsts??? i think morrow, stevenson korver would come back on the cheap to play with dwight and lowry. lowry would be a big upgrade over teague

drew_ellis_23
01-13-2013, 11:12 AM
raptors for kyle lowry?

God..

PG-Lowry
SG-Lou Will
SF-Korver
PF-J-Smoove
C-Dwight

bench: Jenkins, Morrow, Stevenson, Zaza, plus 2 firsts??? i think morrow, stevenson korver would come back on the cheap to play with dwight and lowry. lowry would be a big upgrade over teague

Do the Raptors have 2 Kyle Lowry's? And sorry, but with that supporting cast they would be nothing better than what the Magic were with Dwight. A lower seed and out in the first round of the playoffs.

king2218
01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
D12 and Josh Smith's best bet to win a championship would be in Dallas with Mayo and Nowitzki

Collison
Mayo
J Smith
Nowitzki
D12

That would be a dangerous team.

97NYer
01-13-2013, 11:23 AM
so what happens to horford? does smith just move to sf so they all can start? can josh even play sf.

Josh is a natural SF, they moved him to PF a few years ago. Horford is more of a PF as well.

king4day
01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
"Who wouldn't want to play with one of the most dominant big men in the league? Everybody wants him, he's a hot commodity ... Right now he's getting his health back right and his conditioning back right ... When he gets here, he's gonna be a monster."

In talking about Howard's health he said, "When it gets here". Clearly he meant when his health is back to where it needs to be. I don't see how anyone could misinterpret it though.

Rocco007
01-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Still, I never thought it was impossible that he might wind up in Atlanta. Although he does get a massive shoe money bonus if he plays in LA or NY, as I understand it, an amount possibly much larger than his actual salary.

But yeah, Atlanta, good destination for him. Maybe he just chucks it all and goes there, he can do some cameos on "real housewives"

He meant to say when he gets "there" he's going to be a monster...referring to his health not Atlanta...Josh himself may leave Atlanta...:p

3RDASYSTEM
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
1 - NETS
1A - HAWKS-MAVS
1B - ROCKETS
1C - LAKERS/CLIPPS or CLIPPS/LAKERS, he may prefer CP3 on other side of fence over purp/gold

GiantsSwaGG
01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
He rather be a Hawk which I don't blame him for

mjt20mik
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant to say "There"

VinceCarter
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Yes....he started his career at the 3 and I think he would like the move. Especially to get Horford to the 4 and Dwight at the 5 :speechless:

AIRMAR72
01-13-2013, 07:47 PM
its 98% true I've been hearing about that since his orlando days Howard playing for his hometown team

NBA_Starter
01-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes, it is happening.

reffahead
01-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Big if but if Dwight signs I don't see Horford on the team. We would probably trade him for a top flight SF or SG (Batum?). Atlanta is like Miami in that superstars can only draw out the crowd. There is bad history with the fans and GMs/Ownership since 1994 when they traded Wilkins ruining a championship run. When Mutumbo signed here there were solid crowds even when everyone knew the team didn't have a high ceiling.

These days there are a million plus transplants that clog the traffic making it a hassle to get around. The transplants themselves would come see Dwight just because.

NFLNBA
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
So leave a team that eventually always contends and leave more money to play elsewhere? You people are comical. Not to mention the best weather and best place for your off the court future lol

Mr.ATLHawks
01-13-2013, 09:58 PM
LMFAO

How ridic would it be if CP3 and Dwight both ditched LA for the ATL?

PLease, Please dont get my hopes up....

LongWayFromHome
01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
its 98% true I've been hearing about that since his orlando days Howard playing for his hometown team

lol at "since his orlando says"

JordansBulls
01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
He is going to Chicago.

King41
01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
D12 and Josh Smith's best bet to win a championship would be in Dallas with Mayo and Nowitzki

Collison
Mayo
J Smith
Nowitzki
D12

That would be a dangerous team.

you said it first ;)