PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they call traveling in NBA?

Ktulu
01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
I dont watch too much basketball, but whenever I do I never see the refs call traveling when the players clearly took more steps than allowed. Everyone I talked to about it says they notice the same thing. Why is this?

Sretep75
01-12-2013, 05:15 PM
I've always wondered this

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
players are too fast and refs too dumb

Chill_Will_24
01-12-2013, 05:30 PM
I have a problem with this as well. Seems like that is one of those things refs use to control the game on the low. A lot of the superstar players (Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Melo) travel right in front of the refs face but they cut them breaks but lesser players like Wesley Mathews get it called on them.

At first i though they just did not wanna ruin the flow of the game with too many travel calls but i am noticing they rarely call it on star players unless very blatant and even then sometimes they let it go.

I have noticed something similar with the "rip through" move. They are very inconsistent when they call it. Brook Lopez sometimes gets the call but often times it's on the side. When Durant does it they give him the shooting foul

Another grey area for me is with their techs. I have seen Kobe and Wade clap right at the refs face and Melo do his wave thing that he does at the refs and they rarely get teched but Demarcus Cousins cannot even look at the ref without a tech

I think today they use the some calls are used on the low to give the advantage to certain players for ratings and marketing purposes.

Alas i am a conspiracy theorist.

CavsYanksDuke
01-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Think of the length of the NBA season, this is the very middle of it and everyone, including officials, are exhausted from traveling and playing in so many games. So they miss things, just like every other employee at any other job working long hours. On top of that, no crowd I've been to responds positively to a lot of traveling calls. When you consider fatigue and popularity of that particular call, it's not shocking that that call isn't made more often.

Hellcrooner
01-12-2013, 05:44 PM
to allow falshy dunks and falshy plays that sell seats.

Thats stern line of thought.

Same for star calls and barely never ever seeing a "franchise player" foul out of a game.

kobe4thewinbang
01-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Who cares? They're already allowed 3 steps. Traveling was always a stupid rule. As long as it doesn't turn into football, I can care less what foot they use to pivot with.

CavsYanksDuke
01-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm the same way. Who cares if they travel in the post, just get rid of the fast break travels.

lamzoka
01-12-2013, 06:07 PM
James Harden's to go move is a travel. that fake euro step is a travel. idc what anybody says

TheMoneyTeam
01-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Because Lebron would be a low level all star if it were actually enforced. I have never for the life of me seen a player get away with 5-10 blatant travels per game in my life.

heyman321
01-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Because NBA players like their Air Miles.

bucketss
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Because Lebron would be a low level all star if it were actually enforced. I have never for the life of me seen a player get away with 5-10 blatant travels per game in my life.

ginobli?

lakers4sho
01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
stop with the excuses for the refs, FIBA and euroleague officials call it right and they have the same other responsibilities as NBA refs.

This is a superstar driven league

bucketss
01-12-2013, 07:04 PM
stop with the excuses for the refs, FIBA and euroleague officials call it right and they have the same other responsibilities as NBA refs.

This is a superstar driven league

lol really? because the euros in the nba are usually the ones pulling off the most ridiculous travels.

lakers4sho
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
lol really? because the euros in the nba are usually the ones pulling off the most ridiculous travels.

because they're not being called? :eyebrow:

dalton749
01-12-2013, 07:28 PM
yeah as a raps fan i watched lowry ddo a blatant travel last night right in front of a ref. he was just standing with the ball but he switched and moved his pivot foot like 4 times

imagesrdecievin
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
It isn't because the players are too fast. We as fans see it in real time and announcers often comment "I think he may have gotten away with a travel".

Switching of the pivot feet isn't trivial. It creates an incredible advantage for the offensive player isolating one-on-one. Defending a player that can change their pivot foot at will is near impossible. It also serves as an excellent bailout where a trapped/well defended player can create the space needed to et rid of the ball. I remember a (crucial) play where Hibbert started on the block and made it almost to the three point line by changing his pivot three times in a row.

It's sad because well played - well officiated basketball is just as exciting to me.

heyman321
01-12-2013, 08:28 PM
It isn't because the players are too fast. We as fans see it in real time and announcers often comment "I think he may have gotten away with a travel".

Switching of the pivot feet isn't trivial. It creates an incredible advantage for the offensive player isolating one-on-one. Defending a player that can change their pivot foot at will is near impossible. It also serves as an excellent bailout where a trapped/well defended player can create the space needed to et rid of the ball. I remember a (crucial) play where Hibbert started on the block and made it almost to the three point line by changing his pivot three times in a row.

It's sad because well played - well officiated basketball is just as exciting to me.

You're actually wrong. The movement is much faster to the refs at ground floor level right beside the players than on a TV screen or 200 feet up. Ever wonder why when ESPN or TNT show you replays of the play from a player's perspective, it looks much much faster?

jerellh528
01-12-2013, 08:31 PM
they called it on kobe 3 times vs SA lol

Chill_Will_24
01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
they called it on kobe 3 times vs SA lol

That's it? Damn they missed like 16 travel calls on him then. Kobe is probably the worst in the league at it even though people think it's Lebron. That is why i find it very telling that Laker fans are getting butt hurt on this thread.

imagesrdecievin
01-12-2013, 09:03 PM
You're actually wrong. The movement is much faster to the refs at ground floor level right beside the players than on a TV screen or 200 feet up. Ever wonder why when ESPN or TNT show you replays of the play from a player's perspective, it looks much much faster?

Interesting tidbit.

But it still isn't too fast for the refs to see. They chose to ignore the travels - or at best come back down the other half of the court and whistle a make-up call.

bucketss
01-12-2013, 09:24 PM
because they're not being called? :eyebrow:

you would think they would get used to not traveling if they played in such a strict league officiating wise.

gwrighter
01-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Because NBA scouting/defences are too good, & people like offence. The game has to play at a certain 'pace'.

Everymanalion
01-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Because the NBA is star driven league and some stars would not put up 25+ a night if it was called on the reg.

jsthornton7
01-12-2013, 11:35 PM
James Harden's to go move is a travel. that fake euro step is a travel. idc what anybody says

He travels EVERY time he goes to the basket. It is amazing it never gets called.

Nyc4You
01-12-2013, 11:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLe87ZkL_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_ljDfevB0

Nuff said

LOOTERX9
01-12-2013, 11:54 PM
I like that they don't call travels, there's too many whistles blown already. Those ticky tac fouls destroys the flow of game as it is. We don't need another excuse for the refs to blow their whistles and make the games even more boring at times to watch

ThaDubs
01-13-2013, 12:04 AM
You guys are all wrong. It's because refs don't call everything. They're told not to. If they called every travel I can assure you that it would piss you off more than anything. They have to balance the calls because if they called everything games would be like 4 hours long. You can assume they see everything if they're reffing at the pro level. They don't just find random bros on the street, give them ref shirt and tell them good luck.

Sandman
01-13-2013, 12:13 AM
You guys are all wrong. It's because refs don't call everything. They're told not to. If they called every travel I can assure you that it would piss you off more than anything. They have to balance the calls because if they called everything games would be like 4 hours long. You can assume they see everything if they're reffing at the pro level. They don't just find random bros on the street, give them ref shirt and tell them good luck.
sounds like the old Pat Riley philosophy. foul the **** out of them, they cant call it every single time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLe87ZkL_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_ljDfevB0

Nuff said
hahaha classic

BULLSFAN0810
01-13-2013, 03:46 AM

but the stars hack ,travel blatantly ,while the Euro looks realistic and has tecnique. i say get rid of the star treatment ...it has caught up to the game,and now it is unbearable to watch esp when added with the Euro style...just acting and flopping.

TopsyTurvy
01-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Traveling isn't always called for the same reason holding in football, offsides in soccer, crosschecking in hockey, let calls in tennis, wide calls in cricket and home runs aren't always called - humans are tasked with the officiating.

:shrug: