PDA

View Full Version : Why did Vince Carter not want to play for the Raptors anymore?

Fresno
01-12-2013, 03:32 AM
Just was curious behind what led to him wanting to leave Toronto despite the success he was having there

Raps08-09 Champ
01-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Success? Lol. The Raptors were losing the last couple of years. A large part due to him being 'injured' and quitting.

c.c.
01-12-2013, 03:42 AM
Toronto would of been a better franchise if he stayed. His career would of been better too (my opinion)

murphturph
01-12-2013, 04:08 AM
If tmac bosh Vince stayed we woulda be a championship caliber team, but to answer you question, it was managements fault, and there was like a billion coaching changes, and I'm pretty sure there was a very big issue with his mother and management as well...... As much as he quit on the raptors, he gets way to much blame

krisxsong
01-12-2013, 04:24 AM
Because he wasn't getting any younger and the Raptors were a bad franchise.

krisxsong
01-12-2013, 04:24 AM
If tmac bosh Vince stayed we woulda be a championship caliber team, but to answer you question, it was managements fault, and there was like a billion coaching changes, and I'm pretty sure there was a very big issue with his mother and management as well...... As much as he quit on the raptors, he gets way to much blame

On paper yes. On the court? I don't know.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-12-2013, 04:33 AM
On paper yes. On the court? I don't know.

It's somewhat similar to the Heat right now, but not as good. McGrady was as versatile as they they come in his prime and Carter was an explosive scorer.

Becks2307
01-12-2013, 04:35 AM
It's somewhat similar to the Heat right now, but not as good. McGrady was as versatile as they they come in his prime and Carter was an explosive scorer.

If McGrady doesnt get injured though, who's to say hes not as good as Lebron?

Gibby
01-12-2013, 04:35 AM
the team wasn't very good. They were good for few years with a veteran team but as the team got older, they weren't good. He wasn't motivated to play for a bad team so he milked his injuries and that made the situation worse with fans and management.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-12-2013, 04:38 AM

McGrady's best years were never as good as Lebron's. Even if healthy during his Rocket's run, I doubt it would've been better than his Magic's run.

majmarcus
01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
A number of reasons...

He wanted to be hurt on defense but healthy enough for offense for another team.

He got tired of LIMPING when he got poked in the eye in Toronto.

3rdly, its Vince Carter man...I mean just at him

rhymeratic
01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Tmac wanted his own team and left. Raptors consistently drafted poorly or have you forgotten about lottery pick Rafael Arujo.

BALLER R
01-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Management

TRIUMPHATOR
01-12-2013, 11:42 AM
When the fans got tired of him falling as if he was shot about once a game, they began to turn on him and instead of sucking it up he quit.

He deserves all the blame for his own departure. Remember he tipped of an opposing team, and right at the end he said he wasn't going to dunk anymore.

He basically was someone who was talented but would not self motive.

heyman321
01-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Glad he is rotting in Dallas now.

JerseyPalahniuk
01-12-2013, 11:49 AM

This is why "ifs" usually don't make any sense. How would the raptors get the 4th overall pick in the draft to get Bosh with a prime TMac and Vince Carter?

JC_
01-12-2013, 11:52 AM
One thing I noticed is he stopped caring as much around the time he got engaged. He started smiling and being nonchalant even when they were losing. I'm guessing he fell in love with the girl and basketball took the backseat.

netsgiantsyanks
01-12-2013, 11:54 AM
management and his attitude. the VC trade was possibly the most lopsided trade ever.

JasonJohnHorn
01-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I think the primary reason was that the front office didn't include him in decisions. When they had hired a new GM, Vince wanted them to bring in Dr. J as he and Dr. J had become friends and he wanted Dr. J running the team. Thea Raptors though didn't listen to him and made their own hiring, though they did fire coach Lenny Wilkens which many believed was requested by Carter (nobody came out and said it like with Dwight/SVG) as Carter had made some comments about the coaching in the press.

But I think mostly it was the fact that Toronto was headed in the wrong direction. They had done a great job of bringing in some talented players, but then ran dry. They'd lost their depth in the front court and Davis was 35 years old that last season, so the team had done a poor job of keeping talent around Carter.

Becks2307
01-12-2013, 12:42 PM
McGrady's best years were never as good as Lebron's. Even if healthy during his Rocket's run, I doubt it would've been better than his Magic's run.

Def dont think McGrady could be Lebron but I def think he could be a lil better than Durant is now, which is more than enough to win a chip if you have VC and Bosh as well.

TheNumber37
01-12-2013, 12:42 PM
prime carter and tmac woulda been hard to stop.

Simple, Vince left the raptors cause no one wants to play in Canada.

GodsSon
01-12-2013, 12:58 PM
prime carter and tmac woulda been hard to stop.

Simple, Vince left the raptors cause no one wants to play in Canada.

You're an ignorant **** if you think that's the case. He willingly signed a 5 year extension with us in the summer of 2001.

Had he given Toronto just one more year, VC and Bosh would have been a very good tandem for the next 4-5 years.

Bramaca
01-12-2013, 02:00 PM
The start of the Raps team falling apart was the day after they drafted Carter. For a glorious 24 hour period they had a roster that consisted of Billups (age 21) and Alvin Williams (24) at the pg position, Carter (22), McGrady (19), and Doug Christie (28) at the wings and Camby (24), Kevin Willis (36), and John Wallace (24) at the bigs. They started trading a lot of those young players away to bring in vets to win now instead of letting them grow together and sign a couple vets instead.

kingsdelez24
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
They didn't try to sign Nash or Magloire when they were free agents in 2004 despite being promised so, they hired Rob Babcock instead of Julius Erving at gm, which led to the raptors drafting Araujo over of players like iggy, J-smooth, Al Jefferson, and then having Sam Mitchell bench him durning 4th quarters in his last games as a raptor

He didn't "quit", but all of this awful management had something to do with him giving less than 100%

Chronz
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Raps aint winning the Finals even if Tmac was as good as Bron but you seriously undersell how close those Rox were. Sad times with a broken down McGrady.

Tmac and Bron were really close for one brief point.

Chronz
01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Def dont think McGrady could be Lebron but I def think he could be a lil better than Durant is now, which is more than enough to win a chip if you have VC and Bosh as well.

They dont get Bosh if Tmac stays.

bucketss
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
because hes a quitter and a ***** *** mommas boy. **** him

Sadds The Gr8
01-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Raps aint winning the Finals even if Tmac was as good as Bron but you seriously undersell how close those Rox were. Sad times with a broken down McGrady.

Tmac and Bron were really close for one brief point.

yea...people forget how nasty Tmac was at his peak. He was in that Kobe/Lebron category but people ignore that because of playoff failures.

dalton749
01-12-2013, 02:54 PM
vince felt with the teams management they had no chance at winning. he was right and we are finally getting away from that now with rogers and bell coming in

Jarvo
01-12-2013, 07:44 PM

He's not.

murphturph
01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
If Vince made this shot, everything would have been different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3emK-oy0LyQ

rockbottom2010
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
the reason is because carter wanted dr.j as the raps gm...it turned out to be rob babcock...and u know what happened from there...the worst gm in nba history

ThuglifeJ
01-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Toronto would of been a better franchise if he stayed. His career would of been better too (my opinion)

+1

He didnt want out but he was upset because of the management decisions over the years. Vince stays private and doesn't say much but what coaches have said in the aftermath lately is that 1. His feelings were hurt that he didnt get the same say that other superstars did. 2. he wanted Dr. J as GM when he wanted to do so in Toronto 3. They had new coaches every other year.. 4. he got paranoid that everyone just liked him for dunking and thought they brought Bosh in to go in a "new direction"

while I have his back on the first 3, I did feel like Carter got way too paranoid with the fans/coach. They didn't like him just for dunking...but his dunks were the greatest in history of the sport, so of course it's gonna be something we wanted to see. The Bosh thing was when I knew the Raptor/Carter relationship was getting too dramatic

selassi3
01-13-2013, 01:17 AM
When the fans got tired of him falling as if he was shot about once a game, they began to turn on him and instead of sucking it up he quit.

He deserves all the blame for his own departure. Remember he tipped of an opposing team, and right at the end he said he wasn't going to dunk anymore.

He basically was someone who was talented but would not self motive.

This. Just check his stats in his final 2 years with Toronto and following his next 3 with New Jersey and you'll see for yourself numbers do'nt lie, he played more games, averaged better stats.

c.c.
01-13-2013, 01:37 AM
vince felt with the teams management they had no chance at winning. he was right and we are finally getting away from that now with rogers and bell coming in

So he didn't win nowhere else he went neither