PDA

View Full Version : The Top Seed Out East Would Currently be 5th Out West

shep33
01-11-2013, 09:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

Have the conferences ever been more unbalanced than this year?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-11-2013, 09:10 PM
It's always been this way. The Western teams are so much more stacked than Eastern teams.

Clippersfan86
01-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Saw the standings yesterday and thought the same thing. Not to mention how dominant the west has been against the east.

shep33
01-11-2013, 09:13 PM
It's always been this way. The Western teams are so much more stacked than Eastern teams.

I agree to an extent, but usually the top teams out east put together a ton of wins. I think Miami is in hangover mode and do expect them to win it all, but record wise, the east might have a team under 60 wins be the top seed.

shep33
01-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Saw the standings yesterday and thought the same thing. Not to mention how dominant the west has been against the east.

Absolutely, its been quite one sided

Fired-Up
01-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Standings are irrelevant in the NBA. Only season I care about care about in the NBA is the postseason. The league did it to itself when more than half of the teams in the league make the playoffs.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-11-2013, 09:15 PM
I agree to an extent, but usually the top teams out east put together a ton of wins. I think Miami is in hangover mode and do expect them to win it all, but record wise, the east might have a team under 60 wins be the top seed.

The Heat and Knicks have played less games than the top seeds in the West. If they played the same amount of games, the win totals would be a lot closer than 5.

shep33
01-11-2013, 09:17 PM
The Heat and Knicks have played less games than the top seeds in the West. If they played the same amount of games, the win totals would be a lot closer than 5.

I'm looking at their win percentage right now. Miami is on pace to win 55-56 games in a weaker conference.

Toxeryll
01-11-2013, 09:18 PM
old news

Hardaway Here
01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
what's the point of this thread if an east team wins the championship again what did the standings tell you jack squat

Baller1
01-11-2013, 11:09 PM
That's pretty insane... Derrick Rose needs to get healthy, it'll at least give the East another juggernaut.

Fired-Up
01-11-2013, 11:10 PM
what's the point of this thread if an east team wins the championship again what did the standings tell you jack squat

Exactly. The regular season in the NBA is meaningless which is a shame.

shep33
01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Exactly. The regular season in the NBA is meaningless which is a shame.

Not trying to start anything, and I'm picking Miami to win it all still, but it's pretty insane that the top teams out east are on pace to get like 55-56 wins.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-11-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm looking at their win percentage right now. Miami is on pace to win 55-56 games in a weaker conference.

You really think they'll keep up their winning %? They go on a 5 game win streak and the win% will change a lot. They go on a 5 game losing streak and the win% will change a lot.

Hardaway Here
01-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Not trying to start anything, and I'm picking Miami to win it all still, but it's pretty insane that the top teams out east are on pace to get like 55-56 wins.

I understand your not trying to start anything. I'm just saying that most teams just want to get to the playoffs because its a different ball game then. Take of the top 2-3 teams in both conferences and see who actually gets to the conference finals. Because over the years standings haven't proven much but usually at least 1 of the top 3 make it to the conference

shep33
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
I understand your not trying to start anything. I'm just saying that most teams just want to get to the playoffs because its a different ball game then. Take of the top 2-3 teams in both conferences and see who actually gets to the conference finals. Because over the years standings haven't proven much but usually at least 1 of the top 3 make it to the conference

I agree, but really the point of the thread is the disparity in the number of good teams in each conference.

Fired-Up
01-11-2013, 11:44 PM

Yeah, but to be blunt. Who cares? The regular season doesn't mean anything. Essentially what it is an exhibition of high flying wing players dunking their butt off. And if you don't fit the bill (spurs) nobody cares about you until the playoffs when the season actually begins and people care who wins the games.

beasted86
01-11-2013, 11:47 PM

On pace?

We aren't even half way through the season. There are a ton of games left and the current standings really are a non-discussion. This thread is kind of pointless. It would be a really bad bet to assume the Rockets are "on pace" to make the playoffs and the Lakers are "on pace" to be a lottery team. My point is there is a lot of basketball yet to be played.

murphturph
01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Yeah once granger and rose get back, the east will get tougher butttttttt the two best rookies went to the west This year in lillard and Davis, so it looks like the west is only gonna get tougher

ztilzer31
01-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I'll care about standings in the NBA when the regular season matters.

SouthSideRookie
01-12-2013, 12:17 AM
On pace?

We aren't even half way through the season. There are a ton of games left and the current standings really are a non-discussion. This thread is kind of pointless. It would be a really bad bet to assume the Rockets are "on pace" to make the playoffs and the Lakers are "on pace" to be a lottery team. My point is there is a lot of basketball yet to be played.

IIRC the Rockets would have to go 25-22 to get in so yeah if they were in the east, playoffs would be just about a given for Houston. The Lakers on the other hand would probably have a better record in the east than they currently have, even with their struggles.

mzgrizz
01-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Yeah. Noticed that the Grizz were 4th in the western conference and 4th in the NBA. But I've learned to agree that the regular season just gets you to the big dances.

krisxsong
01-12-2013, 02:17 AM

No it has not always been this way, unless you're maybe 18.

However for the last 10 years or so the Western Conf has had more team teams with more wins.

That alone doesn't necessarily make them better, although I do think of the top 5 teams in the NBA, 4 of them are in the West.

Crackadalic
01-12-2013, 03:00 AM
When I look at it the east is either litter with big to moderate injuries to there key players(bulls pacers knicks), new pieces getting used to each other(Boston Brooklyn) or benefitting how weak the non playoff teams are.

The west top 4 to me kept for the most part there same core and haven't really been hit with any major injuries

c.c.
01-12-2013, 03:51 AM
The Rockets 14-3 against East teams

ATX
01-12-2013, 04:03 AM
Another Western Conference circle jerk thread? Awesome!

Team*Chicago
01-12-2013, 04:14 AM
If the West is so good then how come teams like the Clippers, Thunder, Spurs and Grizzlies suffered any major injuries, like K.Durrant, C.Pual, T.Parker or M.Gasol down with an major injury.

Before Rose got hurt none of those Western teams finished ranking at #1 overall in the entire league.

SouthSideRookie
01-12-2013, 09:53 AM
If the West is so good then how come teams like the Clippers, Thunder, Spurs and Grizzlies suffered any major injuries, like K.Durrant, C.Pual, T.Parker or M.Gasol down with an major injury.

Before Rose got hurt none of those Western teams finished ranking at #1 overall in the entire league.

because they don't get to play against the also-rans of the league 4x a year.

The eastern conference has most of the the really bad teams. Take for example NO, they currently have the lowest win total in the conference but they are by no means a bad team. They are on a 4 game streak with wins against Dal, SA, Hou and Minny.

Take a look at the Rockets division: Dallas, SA, Memphis, NO and Houston.

The Bulls division : Indiana, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago.

You can compare any division in either conference and you'll notice a trend.

In the east you will have two good teams, a mediocre team and two really bad teams in each division. In the west you will be hard pressed to find more than one bad team in any divison.

Even teams like the T Wolves and Lakers who currently have losing records. They both have talent but having to deal with injuires coupled with a western schedule has taken a hit in their Ws Ls record.

To me the Wolves 16-17 record is more impressive than the Celtics 19-17 record or Altanta's 21-14 when you take into account the Wolves play in west and have also dealt with injuries.

YoungOne
01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
old news

if its old its no news right?

JordansBulls
01-14-2013, 06:29 PM

Rose's injury is the reason the Bulls aren't the top seed right now. Past 2 seasons the East top seed was the #1 record in the league. The two seasons before that the top seed in the East had the best record. Hell since 2008 the East had the best record in the league.

JerseyPalahniuk
01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Rose's injury is the reason the Bulls aren't the top seed right now. Past 2 seasons the East top seed was the #1 record in the league. The two seasons before that the top seed in the East had the best record. Hell since 2008 the East had the best record in the league.

Strength of schedule mean anything to ya? It would be a disappointment if that DIDN't happen. That makes the records of those top 4 teams in the West even more impressive.

THE MTL
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
While this is true.....miami heat, full strength knicks, and chicago w/rose would easily take out everyone in the west not named grizzlies, clippers, and spurs.

Guppyfighter
01-14-2013, 07:08 PM
While this is true.....miami heat, full strength knicks, and chicago w/rose would easily take out everyone in the west not named grizzlies, clippers, and spurs.

No, probably not. Heat and Knicks are 6th and 7th in the SRS right now.

xxplayerxx23
01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Please^ Miami can take anybody out west. Im talking any when it comes finals time I understand not believing in the knicks because they have yet to prove it playoff time, but Miami CAN beat anyone in a 7 game series.

Guppyfighter
01-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Please^ Miami can take anybody out west. Im talking any when it comes finals time I understand not believing in the knicks because they have yet to prove it playoff time, but Miami CAN beat anyone in a 7 game series.

They are the favorites for the finals because they have the easiest path. If Spurs or Thunder switched places with the Heat, they'd be the favorites. The best team out East will always be the favorite. Heat would likely be the fourth or fifth seed out west. They feast on the historically bad East.

tredigs
01-14-2013, 08:36 PM

It still tells you that by and large one conference is significantly better than another, and has been for the entire 21st century. The Implications of that being whether or not it is right to have 47+ win teams missing the playoffs in the west while teams in the East are getting in with a losing record. Why not just have the best 16 teams get in? Even from a title standpoint, 9 of the last 13 champs in the 21st century are from the West.

Guppyfighter
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
It still tells you that by and large one conference is significantly better than another, and has been for the entire 21st century. The Implications of that being whether or not it is right to have 47+ win teams missing the playoffs in the west while teams in the East are getting in with a losing record. Why not just have the best 16 teams get in? Even from a title standpoint, 9 of the last 13 champs in the 21st century are from the West.

I agree with this.

gotoHcarolina52
01-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Feast on the East, save the best of the West for dessert.