PDA

View Full Version : 92' Dream Team

DJHUFF2000
01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
The 92' Dream Team prob the best collection of talent on 1 team,but if I had to select that team, I would have picked Nique(ruptured achilles that 92 season) ,Isiah (over Stockton),Olajuwon(if he would have been a U.S. citizen over Ewing) & Shaq over Laetner.Who would you have picked?

asandhu23
01-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Chris Laettner was there because rules required one college player. Also, he was actually rather good.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Imo should have been.

HAKEEM/Robinson/ Shaq ( ncaa instead of laettner)
Karl Malone/Barkley
Bird/ WORTHY
Jordan/Drexler
Magic/Stockton / THOMAS

Out, Latterner, Ewing, Mullin, Pippen.

chitown4eva88
01-11-2013, 04:13 PM
How do you leave Zippen Pippin out?

JasonJohnHorn
01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
It think the roster was pretty good the way it was. I think most people will agree that Nique was better than Mullen, but Mullen was the better shooter and in turn the better fit for the team. But yeah, Mullen got in there I think because of Nique's injury.

Stockton over Thomas was the right call.

Yes, Hakeem was better than Ewing.... but as you mentioned I believe there were citizenship issues preventing Hakeem from playing, plus Ewing was likely the bigger star at the time.

As for Shaq and Laettner, you are right, Shaq is the obvious choice. But that said, Laettner's college resume was far better than was Shaq's. Laettner will likely get into the HOF just based on his college career.

BIG worm
01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Blasphemy to leave Pippen out....Mullins and Laetner i agree with.

asandhu23
01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
How do you leave Chris Mullin out?

sep11ie
01-11-2013, 04:16 PM
This has been done so many times.

JiffyMix88
01-11-2013, 04:23 PM

:offtopic:

Shaq said himself Christian was the best college player at that time. I think the team was assembled nicely(with the exception of Zeke not being in there)

C_Mund
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM

So has your comment. You can't expect to drop 10K+ posts on a forum without seeing duplicates.

Teufelshunde4
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
The 92' Dream Team prob the best collection of talent on 1 team,but if I had to select that team, I would have picked Isiah (over Stockton),

The fact that the selection board badly wanted MJ to play influenced them NOT to pick Thomas due to the long standing feud between the two... In fact Chuck Daly Dream Team coach and Thomas's coach on Pistons didnt even stump for him says a lot..

There is a good book out that is worth the read about the Dream Team..
http://http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Team-Greatest-Conquered-Basketball/dp/0345520483

blacknell
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I have never heard Shaq say Lattener was the best college player at the time. If so Orlando wouldn't had took Shaq #1

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
How do you leave Zippen Pippin out?

Because he's extremely Laker biased.

blacknell
01-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Matter of fact that year Shaq put up 24 and 14 a game while Laetner put up 21 and 8. the year before shaq put up 27 and 14 and Laetner put up 19 and 9. Plus shaq was WAY more athletic it wasn't even close who was the best player at the time

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
I have never heard Shaq say Lattener was the best college player at the time. If so Orlando wouldn't had took Shaq #1

So if Orlando was set to take Shaq #1, but then heard Shaq say Laettner was better, were they supposed to take his advice and take Laettner instead? Laettner led Duke to 4 straight final 4's, Shaq and LSU didn't get past the 2nd round ever. If Shaq did say that, at the time he wasn't far off.

Shaq was also AP Player of the year in 90-91, but Laettner won it in 91-92.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Matter of fact that year Shaq put up 24 and 14 a game while Laetner put up 21 and 8. the year before shaq put up 27 and 14 and Laetner put up 19 and 9. Plus shaq was WAY more athletic it wasn't even close who was the best player at the time

Good analysis. Can you name me one other player from those LSU teams?

blacknell
01-11-2013, 04:50 PM

hmmm LSU is not a basketball school and to my knowledge never has been but i think Chris jackson was there then. Changed to a muslim name in the NBA.... Duke had a stacked team and thats why they went to 4 straight final 4's, but Shaq was the better player hence he was taken #1 and a HOF

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
hmmm LSU is not a basketball school and to my knowledge never has been but i think Chris jackson was there then. Changed to a muslim name in the NBA.... Duke had a stacked team and thats why they went to 4 straight final 4's, but Shaq was the better player hence he was taken #1 and a HOF

Shaq was the better player, certainly, but as you said, Duke was stacked, absolutely stacked. Hard to compare stats for the two when one of them was playing along side Grant Hill, Hurley, Lang, etc., and Shaq was basically the entire offense for LSU. Either way, Shaq or Laettner was going to play hardly any minutes for the dream team, garbage time minutes. Shaq wasn't going to take minutes from Ewing or Robinson at the time.

And Jackson (Abdul-Rauf) was only there Shaq's freshman year, which wasn't any of the year you quoted stats from.

richiesaurus310
01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
The team in my sig would have beaten them in 1992.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
The team in my sig would have beaten them in 1992.

They would lose 9 out of 10 games most likely. Probably 10 out of 10.

Magic/Stockton vs. Isiah/Payton/Hardaway is close
Jordan/Drexler vs Dumars/Miller/Richmond is laughable
Pippen/Bird/Mullin vs Nique/Rice is close, well at least Nique is, rest is laughable
Malone/Barkely vs Rodman/Kemp is laughable
Ewing/Robinson vs 92Shaq/92Mourning is laughable

rocketfuel
01-11-2013, 05:33 PM
I wish that some of the other great players had been old enough or young enough to play on that 92 team...or healthy enough.

If so I would have added:

Kareem, Reggie Miller, Shawn Kemp and Dominique Wilkens. Wished there was some way Hakeem and Mutombo could have made it...(Hakeem had those citizenship matters) And wished that prime Bird had went not the older version with the back problems. How would Shaq perform under international rules?

JerseyPalahniuk
01-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Pippen/Bird/Mullin vs Nique/Rice is close, well at least Nique is, rest is laughable

Not sure if you understood his post.. that was the actual 1996 team. No point in saying 92Shaq/92Mourning.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Not sure if you understood his post.. that was the actual 1996 team. No point in saying 92Shaq/92Mourning.

In his post he said they would have beaten them IN 92.

And that is NOT the 96 team. 96 team had Barkley, Malone, Pippen, Robinson, Stockton still on it. Then add in Penny, Grant Hill, Miller, Hakeem, Shaq, Payton, and Richmond. No Tim Hardaway, Nique, Kemp, Dumars, Rodman, Rice, Kemp, Mourning.

JerseyPalahniuk
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
In his post he said they would have beaten them IN 92.

And that is NOT the 96 team. 96 team had Barkley, Malone, Pippen, Robinson, Stockton still on it. Then add in Penny, Grant Hill, Miller, Hakeem, Shaq, Payton, and Richmond. No Tim Hardaway, Nique, Kemp, Dumars, Rodman, Rice, Kemp, Mourning.

Was off terribly haha, my bad. Completely agree then.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Was off terribly haha, my bad. Completely agree then.

You could compare the 92 and 96 team and they are pretty close. Still hard to pick any team over another team that has a prime Jordan on it though.

richiesaurus310
01-11-2013, 06:52 PM

You are crazy. Most people will agree with you, but youre wrong. The dream team gets so much hype because of the names involved and the fact they smashed a bunch of nothing teams. The age and physical condition of these players is not accounted for. Most of the players on my team were teamates with each other at the time, therefore would have chemistry. Like the pistons, sonics, and heat on my team. Plus the bigs of the dream team could have been slowed down in every way by my bigs.

asandhu23
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM

It isn't always about stats.

Chronz
01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Gimme Dream Team III any day over ANY team

I have never heard Shaq say Lattener was the best college player at the time.
He talks about it in his latest book. I dont take Shaq seriously on that one, Im sure he was trying to come off as the humble-bigger man but Laettner was never on his level.

If so Orlando wouldn't had took Shaq #1
No because potential matters. But yes Shaq was better than him, should have gone to Duke instead of getting triple teamed at LSU.

Chronz
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
:offtopic:

Shaq said himself Christian was the best college player at that time. I think the team was assembled nicely(with the exception of Zeke not being in there)

According to various sources on the Dream Team, whoever had Christian on the floor was at a severe disadvantage and would watch him get torched at will.

You really think Shaq(the same Shaq that took it to prime Ewing from day 1) would struggle holding his own?

Laettner was the good wholesome boy with all the accolades. Thats all that was about

blacknell
01-11-2013, 09:32 PM
people forget Shaq was very athletic when he entered the NBA and no Center could guard him as a rookie. He was one of the most dominate big man centers in NBA history, he was like Dwight Howard but 5x better

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 10:21 PM
You are crazy. Most people will agree with you, but youre wrong. The dream team gets so much hype because of the names involved and the fact they smashed a bunch of nothing teams. The age and physical condition of these players is not accounted for. Most of the players on my team were teamates with each other at the time, therefore would have chemistry. Like the pistons, sonics, and heat on my team. Plus the bigs of the dream team could have been slowed down in every way by my bigs.

The only people on the 92 team past there prime was Magic and Larry. The rest were still very well in there prime, MJ, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Robinson, Ewing, Pippen, Drexler.

Meanwhile, your made up team had a few guys getting past their prime as well, Dumars, Nique, Isiah. But give me the guys listed above over Miller, Rice, Kemp, Hardaway, Richmond, Rodman, and even Shaq and Mourning any day of the week. The starting 5 would just get worked by the Dream Team starting 5. Now the 96 team would be a different story, but that's not the team in your sig.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2013, 10:35 PM

Stanely Roberts and Mike Hansen.