PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Nowitzki laughs at scenario of him being traded to the Lakers

nickdymez
01-11-2013, 11:29 AM
It’s strange to imagine the season when Dirk Nowitzki no longer wears a Mavericks jersey, the only uniform he has donned during his 15 NBA seasons.

But what is even more bizarre is the possibility of seeing Nowitzki wearing another team’s colors. It only seems right that the face of the Dallas franchise finishes his professional career with the team he led to its only league title.

A Wednesday column in the Los Angeles Daily News suggests otherwise.

According to the piece written by Vincent Bonsignore, Nowitzki was asked Wednesday about the possibility of joining his good friend Steve Nash as a member of the Los Angeles Lakers.

“I mean honestly, I’d never allow myself to even think about something like that,” Nowitzki said, laughing.

When reminded how Nash said the same thing about playing for the Lakers last summer, Nowitzki responded: “It’s funny how business works.”

Bonsignore suggests a Nowitzki for Dwight Howard trade. Howard, who is a free agent at the end of the season, is someone the Mavericks are certainly interested in, however, probably not in exchange for Nowitzki.

With the Mavericks and Lakers both struggling, a move is possible, but adding a 34-year-old to an already aging Lakers squad doesn’t seem to be the missing piece, especially on a team struggling to play adequate defense.

During a taped interview that aired during the Mavericks’ 99-93 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers Wednesday night, Nowitzki told the ESPN cameras that he’d like to end his career in Dallas.

“Ultimately, my goal was always to finish my career in Dallas,” Nowitzki said. “The only way I was going to leave was if we wouldn’t have won a championship and I would have been chasing my last two years or whatever like (Gary) Payton and (Karl) Malone did when they went to the Lakers and joined Kobe and Shaq. Something like that, maybe I could have seen myself doing at the end. But since I got that ring now, I think I’m going to finish my career in Dallas.

“But I obviously do want to be competitive my last couple of years and I do want to play not for the 8 seed. Saying all that, I’ve got this year left and next year (left on my contract), so hopefully we can still make a push here this season and get something going this summer and be competitive again.”

Lakers should never do this

Pierzynski4Prez
01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Lakers should never do this

No ****

waveycrockett
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Lakers should do Dirk+Mayo for Dwight. DIRK, KOBE, NASH all 3 would be a perfect fit in terms of skill set and all 3 are DESPERATE to win. Dwight is not about winning.

king4day
01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Would be cool to see but given the age, I don't see it being terrible effective.

nickdymez
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Dirk and Mayo yes....

eugene
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
what? dirk in yellow? instead of dhoward? is it a joke?

Avenged
01-11-2013, 12:17 PM
:laugh2: Imagine that Laker defense with a Dirk and Dwight swap :drool:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
lol who said anything bout Dirk to Lakers?:laugh2:

LakersIn5
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
:laugh2: Imagine that Laker defense with a Dirk and Dwight swap :drool:

defense cant be any worse. lakers only letting teams score 120 i doubt with dirk teams score 130

xxplayerxx23
01-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Dirk isn't going to la.

Hellcrooner
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Dirk + Pau dudes.

Come and think of that.

They are both slow right now, aging, neither has the athleticism to run like headless chicken wich is what Dumtonis system is all about.

And now lets not forget that Dirks defense is even Softer than Paus( when healthy).
Oh yeah they dont like each other at all ( just check any spain vs Germany, Grizz vs Mavs or Lakers vs Mavs game, they always play extra hard agaisnt each other).

Not a good idea at all.

kntresistheheat
01-11-2013, 01:39 PM
I can see dirk going to Chicago maybe? Bulls trade deng + Boozer or Taj for Mayo and Dirk? I don't know but that looks like a dangerous team in the east.

Rose
Mayo
Butler
Dirk
Noah

kntresistheheat
01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
After thinking it over, the bulls defense would suck with dirk!

Leftcoast_yg
01-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Lakers should do Dirk+Mayo for Dwight. DIRK, KOBE, NASH all 3 would be a perfect fit in terms of skill set and all 3 are DESPERATE to win. Dwight is not about winning.

Deron isn't about winning.

sp1derm00
01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Nash, Kobe, Metta, Dirk, Gasol

The Los Angeles Expendables.

The only way we would even think about trying to trade for Dirk is if we get younger in other areas... mainly C and SF/SG.

sep11ie
01-11-2013, 03:32 PM
I can see dirk going to Chicago maybe? Bulls trade deng + Boozer or Taj for Mayo and Dirk? I don't know but that looks like a dangerous team in the east.

Rose
Mayo
Butler
Dirk
Noah

That is for sure one of the WORST trade ideas I think I've ever seen.

Sly Guy
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
That is for sure one of the WORST trade ideas I think I've ever seen.

agreed. LOL.

RLundi
01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Dumb article.

LakersSaintsLSU
01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Three team trade with MEM randolph fillers to Dallas,Dirk to LA,And Pau plus fillers to MEMPHIS....YOUR WELCOME...

True Sports Fan
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Dirk isn't leaving Dallas. That simple. Even though it may not be a bad idea

seikou8
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Three team trade with MEM randolph fillers to Dallas,Dirk to LA,And Pau plus fillers to MEMPHIS....YOUR WELCOME...

memphis and dallas would decline this asap

LeperMessiah
01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Im sure the fans will enjoy this

Hickenlooper
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't hate this, actually. Dirk fits so much better into D'Antoni's system. Long term, it's obviously no good. But if you really want one last run for Kobe, this could be an interesting move.

LakersSaintsLSU
01-11-2013, 05:17 PM
memphis and dallas would decline this asap

No they wouldnt ...Mem would jump to team the gasols together(that should be a no-brainer) and remember dirk has a no-trade clause...so he has all the leverage i know u may hate LA but face it when it comes to making moves we are the best!

J4KOP99
01-11-2013, 05:19 PM
I never could imagine this happening. But then again, I never imagined Nash going to LA. However, Nash hadn't won a championship and Dirk has.

If Dirk does end up asking for a trade, I would think Cuban would send him east.

Maybe the pacers? I'm not really sure if Chicago or Indiana would want him though because he is such a defensive liability. Dallas would most definitely want a main piece and some picks for the future.

Lakers Ghost
01-11-2013, 06:55 PM

:smoking:

ManRam
01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Still don't get why people are so eager for the Lakers to move Dwight for a defensively inept replacement. I mean, I'd LOVE to see it...but Lakers fans shouldn't.