PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden wants to return for 13/14 season

black1605
01-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Someone asked in my Comcast/NBC chat yesterday about Greg Oden and whether he'd ever play again. I'm told by Mike
Conley, his college teammate at Ohio State, that Greg is back in Columbus, taking classes and trying to get into playing shape and that he hopes to be available to hit the free-agent market and join a team before the end of this season. If he can't get his body right by then or there isn't sufficient interest, he intends to take another shot at it next fall. The takeaway: Oden hasn't given up on resuming his -- or, perhaps more accurately, having a -- NBA career.

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/f8185fe1-a0d0-4cce-b2cc-f3be6f980699/?source=twitter

Best fit if he does get in shape? He isn't going to command very much money, or many years, so the risk would be minimal for anyone willing to take a gamble on him.

JLynn943
01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm guessing the Heat will take a close look at him.

sep11ie
01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Greg ory

PacersForLife
01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Obviously I wouldn't mind him on the Pacers. I think a team like Orlando or maybe even New Orleans would make sense. Miami would make a ton of sense as well, but that depends how much money Oden wants.

bigsams50
01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Miami and Boston should take a look at him. I wouldnt mind Bobcats too. Work him out, see how his knees are

king4day
01-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Teams are looking to sign him this year but he's not aiming to play until next season. They even say he won't play summer league either.

Phoenix better be a top choice of his. Otherwise he has a mentally disabled agent. We'll need a backup center (possibly a starting center), and have the best medical staff in the league. If he's trying to save his NBA career, he shouldn't be looking to go to a team that will need big minutes out of him right away.

XJW18
01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
BOBCATS!!
MJ will jump on thisss!!!!

kingjaymes23
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Teams are looking to sign him this year but he's not aiming to play until next season. They even say he won't play summer league either.

Phoenix better be a top choice of his. Otherwise he has a mentally disabled agent. We'll need a backup center (possibly a starting center), and have the best medical staff in the league. If he's trying to save his NBA career, he shouldn't be looking to go to a team that will need big minutes out of him right away.

So if he doesn't go to the Suns, that means his agent does not know what he is doing at all? Right.... :rolleyes:

JerseyPalahniuk
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Title is misinformed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8832157/greg-oden-former-no-1-overall-pick-plans-resume-playing-career-sources

Nearly a year removed from his latest knee surgery, former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden has decided to resume his playing career but is not planning to return to the NBA before the 2013-14 season, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that multiple teams have already expressed interest in signing Oden to a multi-year deal before the end of this season that would allow him to continue his rehab until he can get back on the court in training camp next fall.

Westbrook36
01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
I really hope he somehow becomes a good/decent player in this league, but he's just made of glass

farren.louis
01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Boston need him .. they been slipping since they got rid of perkins

ThaDubs
01-10-2013, 02:23 PM
He'd be good for the Heat.

king4day
01-10-2013, 02:23 PM
So if he doesn't go to the Suns, that means his agent does not know what he is doing at all? Right.... :rolleyes:

I don't think the reasoning is unusual.

Nash came to Phoenix with chronic back issues. He missed very few games as a Sun because of it.

Hill came to Phoenix with ankles issues. He had his first 82 game season and a very healthy tenure with us.

Shaq came to the Suns with I think a foot issue (I forget exactly) but it was never a problem on the Suns.

Amar'e, after returning from microfracture, didn't have any issues with it while with the Suns.

Redd had his Knee problems and they were never a problem in Phoenix.

The proof is there. I just wouldn't understand what would make his agent say, "hey, go to Miami...you can win there". Not saying their medical staff is bad but the Suns have a long history of theirs and with Oden trying to save his NBA career, how would they not be at the top of the list.

king4day
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Title is misinformed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8832157/greg-oden-former-no-1-overall-pick-plans-resume-playing-career-sources

I just updated it.

KniCks4LiFe
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
he's not coming back this season. The Roxs, Heat or Celtics would take a chance on him if he could.

SINCESTARBURY25
01-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Id take him on the Knicks if he could be healthy.

MJL80
01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
This guy's still around???

Ezio
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Bulls he would only play 8-11 minutes.

Baller1
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
This thread pops up about him wanting to return the following season every year, haha.

Stunner
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Should go to the Magic , good addition for the Post Howard era if he's healthy .

The Best Around
01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I think pretty much every team in the league would take him at the minimum. He could probably get 2 yr/6-8 mill or something like that.

gwrighter
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
He has severe knee problems, not to mention one of his legs is 1 inch longer than the other. There is no point even giving him a shot. I would be shocked if he ever played more than 30 consecutive games without sitting out and over 55 games in a season for the rest of his career.

Mr_Amaziing
01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I would Love if he came to Okc

If he comes in and hopefully returns to his natural self then we'll be Dangerous to other teams

Pg- Westbrook / Jackson / Maynor
Sg- Sefo / Martin / Lamb
Sf- Durant / PJ3
Pf- Ibaka / Collison
C- Oden / Thabeet / Orton / Perkins(most likely he'll be amnesty)

And we have Toronto's pick(lottery-3-7), The Mavs 1st, Our 1st

We'll be Stack at every position

chi-townlove1
01-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Nearly a year removed from his latest knee surgery, former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden has decided to resume his playing career, but is not planning to return to the NBA before the 2013-14 season, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that multiple teams already have expressed interest in signing Oden before the end of this season to a multiyear deal that would allow him to continue his rehab until he can get back on the court in training camp in the fall.

The Miami Heat are at the front of the line in pursuing Oden, two sources said, and have been keeping tabs as he recovers while also taking classes at Ohio State.

The Heat potentially could have two roster spots available this season, one of which Oden, formerly of the Portland Trail Blazers, could slide into as he continues to rehab. Team president Pat Riley is known to like gambling on long shots, especially when it comes to big men.

One concern for the Heat, though, is they already are committed to more than $80 million in salaries for next season and likely will have a final payroll coming close to $90 million in a year when the new, more harsh luxury tax kicks in. Oden potentially would be a costly gamble even on a minimum-level contract. The Heat are also currently about $14 million over the luxury-tax line for this season.

Oden had his third microfracture surgery, this one in his left knee, in February 2012. He has not played since Dec. 5, 2009, and appeared in just 82 games with the Blazers while suffering from a series of knee injuries.

In attempting another comeback, Oden's camp is planning to take a highly conservative approach. So the plan is for him to sit out the rest of this season and summer league to make sure he allows himself the best chance of finally getting healthy.

The Heat, who have been on the lookout for a center for three years, were interested in Oden before the start of last season, when he was a restricted free agent. But he ended up taking a one-year, $8.9 million deal with the Blazers. After a setback in his recovery, the contract was reduced to $1.5 million, and he later had the microfracture procedure.

Oden averaged 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in parts of two seasons in Portland.

justinnum1
01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Nearly a year removed from his latest knee surgery, former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden has decided to resume his playing career, but is not planning to return to the NBA before the 2013-14 season, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that multiple teams already have expressed interest in signing Oden before the end of this season to a multiyear deal that would allow him to continue his rehab until he can get back on the court in training camp in the fall.

The Miami Heat are at the front of the line in pursuing Oden, two sources said, and have been keeping tabs as he recovers while also taking classes at Ohio State.

The Heat potentially could have two roster spots available this season, one of which Oden, formerly of the Portland Trail Blazers, could slide into as he continues to rehab. Team president Pat Riley is known to like gambling on long shots, especially when it comes to big men.

One concern for the Heat, though, is they already are committed to more than $80 million in salaries for next season and likely will have a final payroll coming close to $90 million in a year when the new, more harsh luxury tax kicks in. Oden potentially would be a costly gamble even on a minimum-level contract. The Heat are also currently about $14 million over the luxury-tax line for this season.

Oden had his third microfracture surgery, this one in his left knee, in February 2012. He has not played since Dec. 5, 2009, and appeared in just 82 games with the Blazers while suffering from a series of knee injuries.

In attempting another comeback, Oden's camp is planning to take a highly conservative approach. So the plan is for him to sit out the rest of this season and summer league to make sure he allows himself the best chance of finally getting healthy.

The Heat, who have been on the lookout for a center for three years, were interested in Oden before the start of last season, when he was a restricted free agent. But he ended up taking a one-year, $8.9 million deal with the Blazers. After a setback in his recovery, the contract was reduced to $1.5 million, and he later had the microfracture procedure.

Oden averaged 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in parts of two seasons in Portland.

:nod:

Rosh
01-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Chicago should take a flyer if he's cheap enough.

diu9leilomo
01-10-2013, 03:11 PM
hes gonna be injured again 20 games into the season, whats the point?

Rockice_8
01-10-2013, 03:14 PM
The Heat of coarse are going to be high on the list but they won't be able to afford him. Owner is cheap and they are already way into the luxury tax. MIA seems like a long shot especially since some will give him a 2-3 year worth about 3-4 per.

A team way below the cap in need of a cheap boost will most likely push the luxury tax teams out of the running.

justinnum1
01-10-2013, 03:15 PM

the point is its a low risk high reward move that probably 20 teams will be looking into.

Gators123
01-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Because hes a 24 year old former #1 pick that people thought was going to be a star. He looked great when he wasn't injured.

justinnum1
01-10-2013, 03:17 PM
The Heat of coarse are going to be high on the list but they won't be able to afford him. Owner is cheap and they are already way into the luxury tax. MIA seems like a long shot especially since some will give him a 2-3 year worth about 3-4 per.

A team way below the cap in need of a cheap boost will most likely push the luxury tax teams out of the running.

Miami's owner is cheap? lol He's like the 5th richest owner in the NBA.

Any proof? or just talking out your ***?

sixer04fan
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
The Sixers should sign him and pair him with Bynum!

What could possibly go wrong?

justinnum1
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM
The Sixers should sign him and pair him with Bynum!

What could possibly go wrong?

Bynum takes him bowling:shrug:

GiantsSwaGG
01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Can this guy just retire

mdm692
01-10-2013, 04:42 PM

More than likely. It shows that he is more worried about winning a ship now and playing for a contender as opposed to having a shot at rejuvenating his career. The simple fact that he is trying to rush it this season proves it. His best bet is PHX on a 2 year deal and if he gets back on track he can easily leave and sign anywhere else.

justinnum1
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
More than likely. It shows that he is more worried about winning a ship now and playing for a contender as opposed to having a shot at rejuvenating his career. The simple fact that he is trying to rush it this season proves it. His best bet is PHX on a 2 year deal and if he gets back on track he can easily leave and sign anywhere else.
where did it say he is rushing it this season? it actually says the opposite that he is going to take a conservative approach.

sixer04fan
01-10-2013, 04:46 PM

Oh god. No. That would be way too dangerous.

rocky4104
01-10-2013, 04:58 PM

I think what King meant was Phoenix should receive at least some consideration from him

TheNumber37
01-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Go to Phoenix for a year and get super healthy.

GiantsSwaGG
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Name me one center that played with glass knee and was affective?

king4day
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Name me one center that played with glass knee and was affective?

Amar'e wasn't necessarily a center but he had two knee surgeries and had a good career in Phoenix. Not as severe as Oden but it shows it's possible to some extent.

king4day
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
where did it say he is rushing it this season? it actually says the opposite that he is going to take a conservative approach.

The OP's link says he'd consider returning this year while ESPN's says otherwise. Conflicting reports.

justinnum1
01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
The OP's link says he'd consider returning this year while ESPN's says otherwise. Conflicting reports.

no way he returns this year. i would bet money on that. a team might sign him this year just so they can have the rights to him and help with his rehab but he is not playing a minute this season.

Ebbs
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
If he can get on the court Defs wouldn't mind the Mavs looking at him

Teeboy1487
01-10-2013, 06:10 PM

:laugh:

dtmagnet
01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
He will go where he can potentially get the most playing time, that means NOT a championship contending team.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
go to Phoenix Greg, the land of where players never miss games due to injury.

Gritz
01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
My church league squad needs a center

Gritz
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
He will go where he can potentially get the most playing time, that means NOT a championship contending team.

He should go where he would get the least amount of PT, that way it lowers his chances at getting hurt again. Heaven forbid he gets the flu and is out for the season.

akagiredsuns
01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow Oden. The guy just doesn't give up. I admire his determination to come back, and while it would be amazing to see him last at least one full season, his body just repeatedly gives up on him. I hate to see him suffer another setback if he returns, regardless if he is minimal pay. Best of luck to him.

justinnum1
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
maybe he just needs to get out of portland, any player with injury history has to be terrified of being apart of that franchise.

sunnydayin'zona
01-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Not because we need him or his talent particularly, but yes he would be stupid to not go to the suns. Just because our medical staff gives him a much greater chance at having a career than anybody else. The difference is great, too.

An article came out a few months (years?) ago about Aaron Nelson's (our head trainer) opinion on how to help him.

Apparently, had Oden simply been given a shoe with a slight lift on his shorter leg, he wouldn't have had the problems. Portland's staff was too inept to even try this.

For his own sake, he should try to go to the suns.

dtmagnet
01-10-2013, 06:49 PM
He should go where he would get the least amount of PT, that way it lowers his chances at getting hurt again. Heaven forbid he gets the flu and is out for the season.

He will obviously want to showcase himself so that he can get potentially more money, how does less playing time help that cause? He knows injury is a risk.

--23--
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
The smartest move he could make is going to Phoenix.

gotoHcarolina52
01-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Chris Tomasson (https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/289511727048036352):

“I haven’t had any talks with the Heat,’’ said Mike Conley, agent for Greg Oden, who said he’s never heard from the Heat since Oden was waived last March. “I have talked to several teams (that Conley wouldn’t name). I would call (rumors Oden could end up in Miami this season) extreme.’’