PDA

View Full Version : All Orlando Magic Thread

CubsBullsBucs
01-10-2013, 12:46 AM
*What is the direction of this franchise? I feel like they are never going to win a championship. Their roster has hope to make the playoffs in a few years, but unless they get a #1 or #2 draft pick, i dont see how they are going to become great in the next 10 years. I think their roster is too good to finish in the bottom 2 or 3 records in the league.
*They are 0-10 since Big Baby Glen Davis went down with a shoulder injury. They won 4 in a row before he got hurt and they were looking like they were going to fight for a playoff spot.
*Is Jacque Vaughn the right guy for the job?
*Is Orlando an attractive Free Agent destination? Is Orlando considered a small market??
*I feel like nobody ever talks about the Magic. Are they worth talking about or are they never going to be a title contender?
*Is this thread going to get no attention just like the Orlando Magic?

Cal827
01-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Bulls Suck. :D

They have to bottom out and get some high picks. Since they are in Florida, they should be somewhat attractive to NBA players.

Some of their deals to me make no sense, but I expect they will be major sellers during the trade deadline (Basically everyone but Nicolson and Vuvicec)

If those two can keep developing, they might have a stable front 4 and 5. Also, they should be able to add in the next drafts a PG as well as a SF. Then they can look to free agency in 2014 with that cap space to solidify their team.

They aren't as screwed as some other teams that are holding huge contracts.

ManRam
01-10-2013, 01:11 AM
*What is the direction of this franchise? I feel like they are never going to win a championship. Their roster has hope to make the playoffs in a few years, but unless they get a #1 or #2 draft pick, i dont see how they are going to become great in the next 10 years. I think their roster is too good to finish in the bottom 2 or 3 records in the league.
*They are 0-10 since Big Baby Glen Davis went down with a shoulder injury. They won 4 in a row before he got hurt and they were looking like they were going to fight for a playoff spot.
*Is Orlando an attractive Free Agent destination? Is Orlando considered a small market??
*I feel like nobody ever talks about the Magic. Are they worth talking about or are they never going to be a title contender?

1. They're rebuilding. That's their direction. Why are you speaking about "never". "Never" is a long time. The Magic have a ton of work to do, and there is very little on this roster than will be a part of the future. It's hard to gauge anything now.
2. Losing is good right now. They've been competitive in most every one of those 10 games too. Hopefully this tricks GMs into thinking Baby is better than he is so we can trade his ***. The Magic were overachieving. Their defense was playing like a top 10 defense in the NBA up until this losing streak. It's finally CRASHING back down towards the mean. They're not as good as they were playing...that was just overachievement.
3. I have no idea...hard to judge a coach in charge of a team with very little talent
4. It has been at times in the past...we may soon find out again. Amazing arena. Family friendly town. Nice weather. Etc.
5. Again, I don't know how you can be discussing "ever" here. The Magic were talked about plenty in recent years, and years before. They just blew it up...not sure what you expect. It's gonna take time to get back to the top.
6. Are you baiting? Still mad we didn't trade Dwight to Chicago (thank God)?

If I'm GM, I try to sell off everyone not named Vucevic. I like Harkless and Nicholson too, but they aren't "untouchables". Get draft picks, shed cap...and go from there. It will take time...but I'm patient.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Interesting thread ...

As of right now we are a top 7 pick... come the deadline guys like redick Nelson Davis Harrington afflalo mcroberts could be moved which will make us much worse ...

Next year we will prob suck some more but come 2014 we will have enough money for 2 Max.deals along with young potential like andrew Nicholson ... Moe harkless .... nick vucevic ... and 2 top ten players from this coming draft and the following one

ThaDubs
01-10-2013, 01:19 AM
How can you say that a team is never going to win a championship? Maybe not in the near future but for all you know this team could end up with 5 all stars, 6th man of the year, perfect team chemistry, an amazing coach and a bad *** bench and go 82-0. You never know what's going to happen in the future.

CubsBullsBucs
01-10-2013, 01:23 AM

Uh no. I was one of the few who wasnt crazy about Dwight. Ya i wouldve been happy if we got him but i love Jo. If a Magic fan made this thread then everyone wouldve put it off. Im trying to give Orlando some love not kick them while theyre down...

CubsBullsBucs
01-10-2013, 01:27 AM
How can you say that a team is never going to win a championship? Maybe not in the near future but for all you know this team could end up with 5 all stars, 6th man of the year, perfect team chemistry, an amazing coach and a bad *** bench and go 82-0. You never know what's going to happen in the future.

It was implied that we were assuming i am not a zen wizard/psychic. You are right the near future and probably longer than that.

c.c.
01-10-2013, 01:54 AM

Duh

RLundi
01-10-2013, 02:51 AM
*Is Orlando an attractive Free Agent destination?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/10/is-orlando-a-desirable-nba-city-for-free-agents.html

The ironic thing about the whole Dwight-wants-to-leave-Orlando-for-a-bigger-market story is that Orlando isnít exactly an undesirable NBA city.

Itís not New York City or Los Angeles, obviously. But itís not Milwaukee or Minneapolis, either, teams whose locations and history limit their participation in free agency and trade talks.

Warm weather, no state income tax, decent night life, a respected coach and committed ownership make Orlando Magic a team NBA players donít mind playing for. A Sports Illustrated piece ranking the NBAís most attractive free-agency destinations in 2009 put Orlando at No. 5. Chris Paul put Orlando atop his wish-list last summer (although, all things considered, Dwight Howard had more to do with that than the organization or city).

Indeed, Orlando has been an attractive destination for NBA movers in the past.

The Magic made one of the biggest free-agent hauls in NBA history on Aug. 3, 2000, when they acquired coveted free agents Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady on the same day. Hill, before all of the ankle injuries, was arguably the leagueís best player at the time. And McGrady was a blossoming star out of Toronto.

Thatís not mentioning Tim Duncan, who narrowed his free-agent choice down to San Antonio and Orlando before deciding to re-sign with the more familiar Spurs that same year.

Several other good players ó old and young, overpaid and underpaid ó have left their old teams for the Magic, such as Horace Grant, Bo Outlaw, Patrick Ewing, Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis. Thatís not a terrible free-agent haul for a 21-year-old franchise thatís possessed at least one superstar Ė and a superstar contract ó for most of its existence.

The point is, even if Howard leaves, itís not necessarily in the Magicís best interest for free-agency rules to be stricter. Whenever the Magic have cap space ó and, yes, that could be a ways away Ė theyíll be in consideration for the top-tier free agents of the summer. Thatís not the case in Sacramento or Milwaukee or Memphis or Utah or Cleveland.

Even if thereís been a high-profile player or two want out of town, Orlando is one of a dozen or so cities that can attract NBA free agents.

jsthornton7
01-10-2013, 03:14 AM
The point is, even if Howard leaves, it’s not necessarily in the Magic’s best interest for free-agency rules to be stricter. Whenever the Magic have cap space — and, yes, that could be a ways away – they’ll be in consideration for the top-tier free agents of the summer. That’s not the case in Sacramento or Milwaukee or Memphis or Utah or Cleveland.

Thats definitely not the case in Sacramento...

Too soon?? :P

5ass
01-10-2013, 03:42 AM
1. They're rebuilding. That's their direction. Why are you speaking about "never". "Never" is a long time. The Magic have a ton of work to do, and there is very little on this roster than will be a part of the future. It's hard to gauge anything now.
2. Losing is good right now. They've been competitive in most every one of those 10 games too. Hopefully this tricks GMs into thinking Baby is better than he is so we can trade his ***. The Magic were overachieving. Their defense was playing like a top 10 defense in the NBA up until this losing streak. It's finally CRASHING back down towards the mean. They're not as good as they were playing...that was just overachievement.
3. I have no idea...hard to judge a coach in charge of a team with very little talent
4. It has been at times in the past...we may soon find out again. Amazing arena. Family friendly town. Nice weather. Etc.
5. Again, I don't know how you can be discussing "ever" here. The Magic were talked about plenty in recent years, and years before. They just blew it up...not sure what you expect. It's gonna take time to get back to the top.

If I'm GM, I try to sell off everyone not named Vucevic. I like Harkless and Nicholson too, but they aren't "untouchables". Get draft picks, shed cap...and go from there. It will take time...but I'm patient.

I agree with everything here. Except i really like Vaughn. For him to keep his team motivated without yelling all the time, that says a lot. If you yell too much players are just going to tune you out. I like his coaching aproach.

MagicHero3
01-10-2013, 11:38 AM
hahaha an orlando magic bashing thread... way to have a completely unbias and neutral first post OP... :facepalm:

MagicHero3
01-10-2013, 11:47 AM

he probably has an ex-boyfriend in Orlando or something..

im in agreement with what manram is saying. we are rebuilding. the Thunder were in this same position at one point. We have a coach who worked under Pop and a GM who worked with the Thunder as they were reubuilding. I think the future is bright, but the short term is not. We welcome competitive losses at this point. I say give us 2-3 years, we'll be more relevant than people expect.

ManRam
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I agree with everything here. Except i really like Vaughn. For him to keep his team motivated without yelling all the time, that says a lot. If you yell too much players are just going to tune you out. I like his coaching aproach.

I do like Vaughn, but I do think it's a bit hard to judge him. We've been really competitive lately, even though we've lost 10 in a row. Is our inability to close out games purely just due to a lack of talent, or is it coaching? I don't think anyone can definitively answer that.

BIG worm
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
:facepalm:On behalf of Bulls fans everywhere i apologize for this disgrace of a thread.

kobe4thewinbang
01-10-2013, 12:51 PM
The Magic have their own forum. Close, please?

ManRam
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
I just don't get the "no attention" thing, like it's unexpected or a bad thing.

I mean, for years and years now they were playing 30-some games a year on national TV. They were on Christmas day for many years in a row. They were on the national level as much as just about any team.

Now they're not, but that's expected. They suck now. But there's no reason to assume they will "never" have success again, especially considering how they've been one of the most winning franchises over the past 6-7 years and have made the playoffs in 14 of their 23 years of existence.

NYCkid12
01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
I just don't get the "no attention" thing, like it's unexpected or a bad thing.

I mean, for years and years now they were playing 30-some games a year on national TV. They were on Christmas day for many years in a row. They were on the national level as much as just about any team.

Now they're not, but that's expected. They suck now. But there's no reason to assume they will "never" have success again, especially considering how they've been one of the most winning franchises over the past 6-7 years and have made the playoffs in 14 of their 23 years of existence.

Really stole my thunder here but your spot on...we have been a consistant franchise and have had a history of losing stars, bottoming out and rebuilding

And the no attention part is rediculous, as ManRam said with Dwight we were on national television as much as the lakers and more than the knicks pre-mello and for almost a year and a half it was constant Dwight Horward trade talks, before that we were title contenders

Let's give this regime a chance with Hennigan/Vaughn, they are just getting started, I have no clue if they will be good or not but I can say I have confidence that this franchise will work to be a winner and do what it takes, past 3-5 years we have been top 5 in payroll and I know 2 yrs we were number 1...now maybe that money was spent wrong but it shows effort

Ebbs
01-10-2013, 01:27 PM
I honestly think Orlando is an awful place to play. The fans are fickle and a lot of tourists. The Knicks got more cheers than the Magic when I was there last week.

The entire building was chanting MVP every time Melo touched the ball.

Rockice_8
01-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Should have taken Lopez and all those picks when they had the chance.

NYCkid12
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
I honestly think Orlando is an awful place to play. The fans are fickle and a lot of tourists. The Knicks got more cheers than the Magic when I was there last week.

It is only because the team is bad, during the years whe nthey are good that NEVER happened

rapjuicer06
01-10-2013, 01:41 PM

I sure hope you're being sarcastic Ebbs

TrueFan420
01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Close this thread

uprightciti
01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
i think the only players with keeping
is Harkness = poor mans Rudy Gay

Ebbs
01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
It is only because the team is bad, during the years whe nthey are good that NEVER happened

I sure hope you're being sarcastic Ebbs

Nope I'm serious I was in the building it shocked the hell out of me. I don't think opposing team fans should ever chant MVP for another player.

i think the only players with keeping
is Harkness = poor mans Rudy Gay

Jameer and Aflallo can both play. Vucevic has some potential and so does Nicholson.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Hell no to a 60mill Lopez and late round picks

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I'd rather have vuc over Lopez any day

He is little younger MUCH MUCH cheaper and has just as must if not more potential then Lopez ... and he does what centers are supposed to do block shots and rebound the ball... he is a double double machine and he is only 22

ManRam
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
The team sucks this year...so it's not surprising that a lot of enemy fans would be there.

Fickle fans? I don't know about that. Sure, there are lots of tourists that go to games there, because it's a premiere tourist destination...but fickle fans? Nah. Florida is also a premiere retirement destination. There are a lot of transplanted people living in that area...like New Yorkers. But when I was going to games in the middle of Dwight-era and even Shaq-era (I was young), those fans were tremendous.

Attendance won't ever be a problem in that new arena.

And I'd imagine "how loud a home crowd roots" is a very low priority in regards to a player determining where to play.

MagicHero3
01-10-2013, 02:34 PM

You clearly have never been to a Magic game before this season.

MagicHero3
01-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Should have taken Lopez and all those picks when they had the chance.

actually i prefer the package we got 10000x more than that.

NYCkid12
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM

That I believe is the most misinformed part of your post...going into this season we had over 130 consecutive sell-outs including playoff games...I'll be honest I don't know if its still running, if I had to bet I'd say no but still

rapjuicer06
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
We should try and trade Redick for Marshon Brooks

Ebbs
01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
You clearly have never been to a Magic game before this season.

That I believe is the most misinformed part of your post...going into this season we had over 130 consecutive sell-outs including playoff games...I'll be honest I don't know if its still running, if I had to bet I'd say no but still

Umm yea but they aren't all magic fans. You're a tourist town. Obviously it's different when you have a superstar but you don't. . .

macc
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
The Magic have their own forum. Close, please?

Says the Laker fan...lol. How much Laker crap gets spilled over into the main forum on a daily basis? Get over it. I'm sure you'll be ok.

MagicHero3
01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Umm yea but they aren't all magic fans. You're a tourist town. Obviously it's different when you have a superstar but you don't. . .

u just answered your own question. we dont have a superstar anymore, we have accepted the fact we arent contenders. we go to games to have fun and watch our team compete, but we dont have expectations like we did with a superstar. It doesnt mean we're fickle.

ManRam
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM

What do you want Magic fans to do?! Screen people entering the arena and make sure tourists don't get in? Knicks fans being at the game isn't an indictment on Magic fans...it's just what happens. No one goes to visit Dallas because it's a boring city...so you don't have to deal with that competition.

It's the only pro team in town...the fans there are tremendous fans.

Ebbs
01-10-2013, 03:09 PM
What do you want Magic fans to do?! Screen people entering the arena and make sure tourists don't get in? Knicks fans being at the game isn't an indictment on Magic fans...it's just what happens. No one goes to visit Dallas because it's a boring city...so you don't have to deal with that competition.

It's the only pro team in town...the fans there are tremendous fans.

No I don't want that. But the "Magic fans" were not present when I was there bottom line.

ManRam
01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
No I don't want that. But the "Magic fans" were not present when I was there bottom line.

OK. So therefore players shouldn't want to go play there!

Got it!

MagicHero3
01-10-2013, 03:13 PM

homeboy went to a magic game and claims "Magic fans" were not there lol

JiffyMix88
01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/10/is-orlando-a-desirable-nba-city-for-free-agents.html

I'm from Orlando and yes Orlando is the best city to live in. Thanks for letting everyone know how great this city is.

NYCkid12
01-10-2013, 03:26 PM

First, you don't sell out 3 consecutive seasons simply from tourists and I don't think there are too many people flocking to Orlando to go see the Magic..disney world, yes ...universal, yes...sea world, yes...not too many go there specifically for the magic so the tourist argument is kind of weak

Second, you can say that about any city/fan base...when the team is bad less people go

Avenged
01-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Interesting approach at baiting.. Gotta close this one down.