PDA

View Full Version : Duncan doesn't get enough respect

Fired-Up
01-09-2013, 09:34 PM
I find it mind boggling that Duncan doesn't get any love. My friend at college is a die hard NBA fan. He laughed at me when I said Tim Duncan is still a top 10 player in the NBA. I'd take Lebron, Wade, Durant, Paul for SURE over him and that's about it for Right Now.

It's crazy, but he is without a doubt the best player of his generation. Kobe Bryant doesn't even come close. He just doesn't. And Shaq is the only one who can compare to Duncan. Just the way he affects the game through just about every way possible it's amazing.

Am I the only one who remembers Duncan taking an entire crap on the league in 2002 when his 2nd best player was Stephen Jackson! And he won MVP and Finals MVP. Unreal.

He's my favorite player by the way. So I could be biased.

Hellcrooner
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
No, he is not a top 10 player right now.

But yes he gets no respect.

He was the Best player of the decade, yes over Shaq and over Kobe but you wont see many fans recognizing it.

b@llhog24
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
I find it mind boggling that Duncan doesn't get any love. My friend at college is a die hard NBA fan. He laughed at me when I said Tim Duncan is still a top 10 player in the NBA. I'd take Lebron, Wade, Durant, Paul for SURE over him and that's about it for Right Now.

It's crazy, but he is without a doubt the best player of his generation. Kobe Bryant doesn't even come close. He just doesn't. And Shaq is the only one who can compare to Duncan. Just the way he affects the game through just about every way possible it's amazing.

Am I the only one who remembers Duncan taking an entire crap on the league in 2002 when his 2nd best player was Stephen Jackson! And he won MVP and Finals MVP. Unreal.

Why yes, yes you are.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-09-2013, 09:42 PM
He's not a top 10 player this year though...

He's playing really well though for his age.

Fired-Up
01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
He's not a top 10 player this year though...

He's playing really well though for his age.

From an individual talent standpoint at age 36 probably not. But as guy who plays for a team yes. I can't name 10 guys right now who contribute more for their team than Duncan.

It's not quite so ridiculous now compared to when he was team years ago with the slow death grind pace. But he still scores, defends, rebounds, passes, controls the pace of the game, spaces the floor, shoots over 50%, passes out of the double team, literally everything.

Bruno
01-09-2013, 09:49 PM
best PF ever.

per minute, easily a top ten player this season. cemented top ten player ever.

OP, you wouldn't take him over Wade this year? Have you been watching Heat games?

duncan is having a better 2012-2013 campaign than wade.

Bruno
01-09-2013, 09:51 PM

you're talking about 2003, not 2002.

most people would probably tell you that david robinson, manu ginobli and tony parker were better than stephen jackson that season, despite their age.

Fired-Up
01-09-2013, 09:52 PM
best PF ever.

per minute, easily a top ten player this season. cemented top ten player ever.

OP, you wouldn't take him over Wade this year? Have you been watching Heat games?

duncan is having a better 2012-2013 campaign than wade.

I probably would, but I don't want to sound unrealistic. To say that I would take just 3 players in the NBA over a 36 year old PF sounds far fetched. But honestly how many people in the NBA are slam dunk better players than the old man Duncan right now? It's crazy what he is doing. Utterly ridiculous.

Sinattle
01-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time

rocket
01-09-2013, 09:59 PM
So how many times do we need to state this?

DallasTrilla23
01-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Well, He didn't win even make it to the finals in 2002, he did that in 2003

And when he won it all in 2003, you could argue that Hall of Fame Center, David Robinson, was a better player than Stephen Jackson. /sarcasm

but yea, Duncan is the Greatest PF of all time and probably the best player of the decade.

Fired-Up
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I just saw it in action live. The disrespect will never likely never end.

Duncan with an absolute clean block on Kobe Bryant, but called for foul. One man is the absolute better player the other is who everyone thinks and treats like best player of the generation.

rocky4104
01-09-2013, 10:06 PM

agree

KingPosey
01-09-2013, 10:09 PM
He is constantly referred to as the GREATEST PF of all time.

mjt20mik
01-09-2013, 10:09 PM
18 points 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in 30 minutes of play.. that's hella impressive

ManRam
01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
He gets a ton of respect in terms of legacy, but no one seems to talk about the present. He's having a tremendous year...equally impressive as fellow "old man" Kobe. Duncan doesn't have tens of millions of fans speaking up every time he does something great.

But everyone knows how much of an all time great he is. I do wish more people would talk about the season he's having though.

Chronz
01-09-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm rethinking my stance on him vs Shaq. I feel odd saying that this late in his career tho

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Tim and the Spurs have always been under appreciated. The majority of the Tim Duncan era tge Spurs werent a "sexy" team. Its sad that it has stuck with the team, because the Spurs habe been exciting for the past 3-4 years.

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 10:39 PM
He's considered the greatest PF of all time.
If that isn't respect I don't know what is.

Fired-Up
01-09-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm rethinking my stance on him vs Shaq. I feel odd saying that this late in his career tho

Gun to my head prime Shaq is the most dominant player of the generation with prime Duncan close behind. Body of work though it's almost impossible to not put Duncan ahead of Shaq, Kobe, Garnett, whoever.

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Gun to my head prime Shaq is the most dominant player of the generation with prime Duncan close behind. Body of work though it's almost impossible to not put Duncan ahead of Shaq, Kobe, Garnett, whoever.

No.

JEDean89
01-09-2013, 10:43 PM
litterally everyone in the nba media business want this guy to just retire and go away but he is the living, playing monument in san antonio. espn hardly writes about their success and nobody in the league tries to emulate them. i think they are the guidebook to running a succesful nba franchise, if duncan and pop had been in NY, BOS, CHI or LA they would have won at least a couple of more chips. it's crazy how efficient they are and how they withstand the test of time, apart from the flopping, they do everything right.

HouRealCoach
01-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Arguably Top 5 ever...

2 Season MVP's
3 Finals MVP's
4 Championships
He has literally won 50 games each of his seasons... Except for the 99 lockout year because they played 50 games, but they accomplished it in 2012 even with 66 games.
Career numbers are 20 ppg, 11 rpg, 3 apg, 2.5 bpg, 50% shooting
He's hit clutch jumpshots, FT's, & made clutch defensive plays

There is not a flaw in his game, He is EASILY the GREATEST PF ever (which everyone says) but I find it mind boggling that damn near this entire site thinks that Lamarcus Aldridge is better than him right now. He's averaging 18, 10, 3... It makes no sense in those regards

HouRealCoach
01-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Chill with saying he's better than Kobe or a few guys will come here and say you all are delusional and this will be another 50 page thread

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
you're talking about 2003, not 2002.

most people would probably tell you that david robinson, manu ginobli and tony parker were better than stephen jackson that season, despite their age.

He won MVP twice. In 2002 and 2003.
Most would tell you that 2002 was his best year.

Sinattle
01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Looks like Duncan's better than this guy:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aonxtp4

Fired-Up
01-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Chill with saying he's better than Kobe or a few guys will come here and say you all are delusional and this will be another 50 page thread

Alright I'll calm down about that. But the reality of it is: It's most definitely true.

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 10:56 PM
For all of you guys saying Dwyane is better, his PER is 22 compared to Timmy's 25.

Mr_Jones
01-09-2013, 10:57 PM
18 points 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in 30 minutes of play.. that's hella impressive

hellaaaaaaaaa

Jarvo
01-10-2013, 12:19 AM
He doesn't care because he's the beat PF of all time... ALL TIME!

JayW_1023
01-10-2013, 05:10 AM
The model superstar.

Chavacano
01-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Respect =/= attention. He gets enough of the former but not of the latter.

Ezio
01-10-2013, 06:09 AM
He's the PF GOAT, if you mean that he doesn't get enough media attention, it's because of his personality. Media wants dunkers.

Trueblue2
01-10-2013, 09:15 AM
He's widely considered the best PF of all time. The Spurs might not get their fair share of respect, but Duncan get's his.

2-ONE-5
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM

what have Paul and KD won? they should not be considered better than Duncan (yet)

edit: misread, thought it meant all time for some reason

SoFreshNsoClean
01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Lol yeah Duncan does get his respect

Every season I hear many many times how underrated the spurs/duncan are blah blah we get it. Maybe if parker, duncan, and pop had more personality then a rock people would pay more attention... it is what it is

Chronz
01-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Being better than 2 ringless PF's who couldnt dominate defensively is enough credit to you? Man thats so disrespectful

Chronz
01-10-2013, 03:15 PM

As I said, Im starting to come around, so I clearly dont agree that its an impossible argument. The reason for our disagreement is because you think it was close when I see Prime Shaq as one of the 3 greatest peaks from a player.

b@llhog24
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Being better than 2 ringless PF's who couldnt dominate defensively is enough credit to you? Man thats so disrespectful

You have Malone ahead of KG?

ManRam
01-10-2013, 03:34 PM
The only blame goes to Spurs fans ;)

If only there were more of them, and they were infinitely more obnoxious. Then we'd be constantly reminded about it...a la Kobe fans. A la Rose fans. A la Melo fans. A la Bron fans...

rhymeratic
01-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Duncan was beast in his prime. This dude come playoff time was dunkin on dudes like they weren't s...

Greatest PF ever.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
The only blame goes to Spurs fans ;)

If only there were more of them, and they were infinitely more obnoxious. Then we'd be constantly reminded about it...a la Kobe fans. A la Rose fans. A la Melo fans. A la Bron fans...

So basically if Duncan had played in Miami/Chicago/NY/LA

Tony_Starks
01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Let's not get carried away and put Duncan over Shaq. I seem to remember Lakers routinely putting the Spurs out of the playoffs during their finals runs....

Chronz
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
You have Malone ahead of KG?

Just saying thats the wideheld belief

PleaseBeNice
01-10-2013, 03:56 PM
A little too much repsect actually

Chronz
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Let's not get carried away and put Duncan over Shaq. I seem to remember Lakers routinely putting the Spurs out of the playoffs during their finals runs....

Thats only head 2 head tho. Their careers dont overlap completely.

Tony_Starks
01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Thats only head 2 head tho. Their careers dont overlap completely.

True but there was a good 6-7 year run where both of them were in top form with a legit shot at a ring. Same can be said about Kobe and Duncan actually, although Kobe has stayed at a higher level longer...

miller74
01-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Incredible career one of my favourites every, but not close to the top 10 anymore

Chronz
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
True but there was a good 6-7 year run where both of them were in top form with a legit shot at a ring. Same can be said about Kobe and Duncan actually, although Kobe has stayed at a higher level longer...

Thats the thing tho, Duncan is how old right now? Hes certainly older than Kobe and I'd argue hes playing at a higher level anyways.

ghettosean
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
I'll say what Pop would say...

HE'S OLD!!! (He's also the greatest PF of all time, a team player and probably the lowest ego out of any superstar I've ever seen)

Stinkyoutsider
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Duncan can do everything on the court for his team. All us fans know this and respect it...

But, he's just not going to be put in the same class as the top 10 in the league anymore. I think it's because he has lost a step and is older which every player becomes sooner or later. No player can beat time.

Plus, Duncan is so humble and is satisfied doing his thing and letting his game talk. He's not trying to get extra attention by going to the media.

You know what I noticed though? I don't think Pop and the coaching staff want to go thru Duncan like they did back then? I think Duncan can still get it done (25 pts, 10 reb, 2.5 blocks) but I think Pop is happier with moving the ball and attacking defenses that way.

kdspurman
01-10-2013, 05:35 PM

99-Spurs beat Lakers
00- Lakers beat Spurs (Duncan missed final 4 games and entire playoffs)
01- Lakers beat Spurs
02- Lakers beat Spurs
03- Spurs beat Lakers
04- Lakers beat Spurs (.4 :mad: )

It's not too far off when you look at their playoff match ups during that span. Shaq was a monster during that time, I for one was thrilled in 03 to end that dynasty.

But just from the matchups when each were at the top, it's not too far off. I think a lot of people forget Timmy tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee early on in his career. I don't know what the chances would've been in 2000 vs the Lakers but with Prime Duncan or Prime Shaq anything was possible.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Widely regarded as the best PF of all time. Many, including myself, have him top 10 ever, and the best player of his generation. He simply doesn't have a sexy game, plays in a small city, and you never hear a peep out of him in the offseason or off the court.

He is not ignored, and in the basketball community, gets a TON of respect.

TheSource
01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
He gets respect, just not a lot of recognition. They're not really the same thing.

dtmagnet
01-10-2013, 06:08 PM
He will never get noticed like other players because he doesn't play a flashy athletic game that younger fans tend to enjoy.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2013, 06:11 PM

can't we flip that around though? Duncan was a completely dominant all star caliber player game 1 of his career, while it took Kobe some time to even get the starting nod, let alone be an all star caliber player. Besides, Duncan is playing as well as anyone right now, at an older age.

Tony_Starks
01-10-2013, 06:20 PM
can't we flip that around though? Duncan was a completely dominant all star caliber player game 1 of his career, while it took Kobe some time to even get the starting nod, let alone be an all star caliber player. Besides, Duncan is playing as well as anyone right now, at an older age.

But those were two different situations. Duncan came in as starter from day one. Kobe came into a established backcourt as a highschool kid and had to take EJ's starting spot.

Chronz
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
But those were two different situations. Duncan came in as starter from day one. Kobe came into a established backcourt as a highschool kid and had to take EJ's starting spot.

A player of Eddie Jones caliber would not start ahead of Rookie Duncan.

Your better off just pointing out the age difference.

Tony_Starks
01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
A player of Eddie Jones caliber would not start ahead of Rookie Duncan.

Your better off just pointing out the age difference.

Rookie Duncan was a college stud and one of a kind talent. Rookie Kobe was seen as a cocky high school kid and basically a wildcard with potential. Big difference.

And for what it's worth EJ did make an allstar team and was an excellent defender in his hayday. Not like he was a scrub, just not a potential superstar like Kobe....

Chronz
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Rookie Duncan was a college stud and one of a kind talent. Rookie Kobe was seen as a cocky high school kid and basically a wildcard with potential. Big difference.
Thats why Eddie Jones has nothing to do with this, Duncan was simply older as a rook and thus more developed.

And for what it's worth EJ did make an allstar team and was an excellent defender in his hayday. Not like he was a scrub, just not a potential superstar like Kobe....
Never liked Jones, either way dont see what it matters.

Fired-Up
01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Thats why Eddie Jones has nothing to do with this, Duncan was simply older as a rook and thus more developed.

Never liked Jones, either way dont see what it matters.

Yeah, but Duncan literally stayed more developed. Every part of a game that any Power Forward could ever dream of having, Duncan had it.

Sly Guy
01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
not that it's on the topic of the thread, but I see tim as a good coach after his career is done.

kdspurman
01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
not that it's on the topic of the thread, but I see tim as a good coach after his career is done.

I think if he does anything it'll be a behind the scenes type thing to help mentor guys with their game. He's mentioned before he didn't really have an interest in coaching. Manu does, and possibly TP. But like maybe do what Hakeem is doing with some of these guys. He worked with Hibbert already during the lockout (and others during that span) and Anthony Davis this past off-season.

But he has all the tools to be successful, I agree.

R. Johnson#3
01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
He never gets the recognition from the media but every fan with half of brain knows that Tim Duncan is one of the best players ever to play the game.

SouthSideRookie
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Every year I keep thinking he's probably close to being done. :sigh:

69centers
01-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time

Correction, he's the greatest center to ever be called a power forward of all time.

Tony_Starks
01-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Correction, he's the greatest center to ever be called a power forward of all time.

It's funny how many people overlook this. He was basically a Center being defended by PF's. Even when Robinson retired they made sure to always keep a generic Center around so he could stay at PF.

tredigs
01-11-2013, 02:11 AM
It's funny how many people overlook this. He was basically a Center being defended by PF's. Even when Robinson retired they made sure to always keep a generic Center around so he could stay at PF.

The opposing teams best post player guarded him period.

Dnovakovic099
01-11-2013, 02:26 AM

He also always guarded the best opposing post player, and still does to this day... I don't see this guy's point besides trolling. Duncan plays center now because the center position is slowing disappearing.

Dnovakovic099
01-11-2013, 02:28 AM

Do you honestly believe that teams just go into games and say the center guards the center? I cannot believe you just posted that bold part. This isn't 2k...

Tony_Starks
01-11-2013, 02:33 AM

The opponents best post defender typically being a power forward leaving Duncan with a height advantage and in post up heaven. You really think guys like Sheed, Horry or CWebb could defend him back in the day? Or KMart or Anderson Varejao in the finals? He always had a mismatch......

Tony_Starks
01-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Do you honestly believe that teams just go into games and say the center guards the center? I cannot believe you just posted that bold part. This isn't 2k...

I know my history and history tells me Horry used to defend him cuz Shaq couldn't, Sheed used to defend him cuz Sabonis couldn't, and CWebb used to defend him because Divac couldn't. Those are all Pf's and those teams were his main comp at the time so yes I do believe that........

Patman
01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I know my history and history tells me Horry used to defend him cuz Shaq couldn't, Sheed used to defend him cuz Sabonis couldn't, and CWebb used to defend him because Divac couldn't. Those are all Pf's and those teams were his main comp at the time so yes I do believe that........

So what you try to tell us is that Centers couldn't defend him? What made him special is that he had the game and quickness to play PF, while still being able to bang down low with Centers.

THE MTL
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
He's known as the greatest PF of all time by everyone. And no he is definitely NOT a top 10 NBA player at the moment.

kdspurman
01-11-2013, 11:12 AM
The opponents best post defender typically being a power forward leaving Duncan with a height advantage and in post up heaven. You really think guys like Sheed, Horry or CWebb could defend him back in the day? Or KMart or Anderson Varejao in the finals? He always had a mismatch......

-Sheed defended him better than any other 4 or 5 did in his prime. Hands down

-Horry defended him a lot too, (high IQ dude) they would alternate between him & Shaq. Just like D-Rob and TD alternated who guarded Shaq on the flip side.

-K-Mart was a really good defender too, but in the finals TD just went nuts, regardless of who defended him.

-Against the Cavs, Duncan had stellar numbers, but that was the Parker show. And it was Gooden guarding him more than Big Z was

Patman
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
He's known as the greatest PF of all time by everyone. And no he is definitely NOT a top 10 NBA player at the moment.

Funny enough he is in the Top10 in PER, WS/48 and BPG, top 15 Rebounding , still top 30 in scoring. There aren't many bigs that have a case over him this season.