PDA

View Full Version : isn't this a travel?

blahblahyoutoo
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
self pass, travel, whatever you want to call it.
how do the refs not see that?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryId=2459789&id=8827245
5 sec mark

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah it was I saw that too but the reffs thought Pek got a piece of it.
Ok move on.

blahblahyoutoo
01-09-2013, 08:38 PM
lmao, there was no one within 10 ft of him.
are the refs blind?

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 08:44 PM
lmao, there was no one within 10 ft of him.
are the refs blind?

The reffs don't call everything. They have to balance the calls going one team's way versus the other's. If reffs called everything games would go on forever. The only reason he didn't get called was because the Hawks were down.

R. Johnson#3
01-09-2013, 08:50 PM
The reffs don't call everything. They have to balance the calls going one team's way versus the other's. If reffs called everything games would go on forever. The only reason he didn't get called was because the Hawks were down.

No that's not the reason at all. The refs just missed this call. It happens and it sucks. Remember the foul that wasn't called on Bargnani that decided the outcome of a game?

blahblahyoutoo
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
No that's not the reason at all. The refs just missed this call. It happens and it sucks. Remember the foul that wasn't called on Bargnani that decided the outcome of a game?

this blown call was so obvious, the only explanation is that they really don't know the rules to the game.

rubio jumped out of the seat in disbelief.

Wisdom Listens
01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
There was actually two of those in that game. Williams (ATL) did the same thing, and it was much more obvious.

king4day
01-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Not sure how they missed it but I don't think it effected the outcome of the game.

dodie53
01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
travel.

hornetsfansydne
01-10-2013, 08:41 AM
this blown call was so obvious, the only explanation is that they really don't know the rules to the game.

rubio jumped out of the seat in disbelief.

Of course the refs know the rules or they wouldnt be refereeing at this level!! What advantage did Horford get from the play? None whatsoever so why call a travel? Pek didn't even leave the ground so he wasn't disadvantaged so no need to make that particular call. I agree this is a travel but no need to call it.

Referees make mistakes, they are human! Name one player out there that didn't make a mistake? So how about you guys accept the fact referees occasionally screw up but that they are right 99% of the time? Its idiots like you who don't understand the game and the concept of advantage/disadvantage that make it harder for referees to go out there and do the job.

JDMVP
01-10-2013, 08:53 AM
THEN DONT WATCH lol. the NBA were traveling and lifting simple rules of basketball dont mean jack anymore

Swashcuff
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Of course the refs know the rules or they wouldnt be refereeing at this level!! What advantage did Horford get from the play? None whatsoever so why call a travel? Pek didn't even leave the ground so he wasn't disadvantaged so no need to make that particular call. I agree this is a travel but no need to call it.

Referees make mistakes, they are human! Name one player out there that didn't make a mistake? So how about you guys accept the fact referees occasionally screw up but that they are right 99% of the time? Its idiots like you who don't understand the game and the concept of advantage/disadvantage that make it harder for referees to go out there and do the job.

Ding Ding Ding. They missed the call it happens in all sports.

blahblahyoutoo
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM

so because no one benefits from an illegal move, they should just let the rules slide?

i can accept 1, even 2 refs missing a close judgement call because they had their view partially obstructed.
3 refs missing a ball thrown 10 feet in the air and caught by the same player, with no defender around him, is unacceptable.
"i didn't get a good view" is not a valid excuse.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
yes, its an obvious travel. The refs missed it. Oh well. They missed two hellacious travels in that game on Atlanta.

mbsalame123
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
that was an up and down so its a travel... wow dumbass refs but at least the wolves came out there and dominated and pekovic ****ed horford up!!!!!

whatever its the NBA, stars get away with plays like that.

hornetsfansydne
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
so because no one benefits from an illegal move, they should just let the rules slide?

i can accept 1, even 2 refs missing a close judgement call because they had their view partially obstructed.
3 refs missing a ball thrown 10 feet in the air and caught by the same player, with no defender around him, is unacceptable.
"i didn't get a good view" is not a valid excuse.

This shows you how little you actually know about refereeing and the way they work on the court in terms of positioning. Not all 3 refs are looking at the ball at once. You have 2 on ball and one watching off ball. And even with this they have certain areas they have to watch on the court.

So by you saying that 3 refs missing the call is completely wrong! At most it was 2 refs watching the call and after re watching the video, Josh Smith walks in front of the official on the far side of the court and the trail referee has Lou Williams in the way of him so I don't think either of them had a view of the feet which explains why it wasn't called

DallasTrilla23
01-10-2013, 05:24 PM
LOL I saw this on NBATV. Chris Webber, EJ and Greg Anthony were cracking up about it.

PurpleJesus
01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
There were actually three plays like that, all with the Hawks, and not one got called, the other two were more obvious than that one, if you can believe it or not, but the Wolves still got the win, and I forgot about those plays up until now...the other two also led to 2 three pointers, so there was 8 points that the Hawks got, that they should not have...from a Hawks perspective though, there were two goal tends called on Josh Smith that were very questionable.

blahblahyoutoo
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
This shows you how little you actually know about refereeing and the way they work on the court in terms of positioning. Not all 3 refs are looking at the ball at once. You have 2 on ball and one watching off ball. And even with this they have certain areas they have to watch on the court.

So by you saying that 3 refs missing the call is completely wrong! At most it was 2 refs watching the call and after re watching the video, Josh Smith walks in front of the official on the far side of the court and the trail referee has Lou Williams in the way of him so I don't think either of them had a view of the feet which explains why it wasn't called

and this shows how little you know about the game of basketball.
having view of the offending player's feet has nothing to do with whether it was a travel or not.

hornetsfansydne
01-11-2013, 06:31 PM
and this shows how little you know about the game of basketball.
having view of the offending player's feet has nothing to do with whether it was a travel or not.

So how can you see if it was a travel or not if you can't see the player's feet?

blahblahyoutoo
01-11-2013, 09:16 PM
So how can you see if it was a travel or not if you can't see the player's feet?

confirmed. you don't know the rules to the game.

hornetsfansydne
01-12-2013, 12:12 AM
confirmed. you don't know the rules to the game.

Well enlighten me as to why you think it could be a travel without seeing the players feet leave and then return to the ground?

krisxsong
01-12-2013, 02:17 AM
self pass, travel, whatever you want to call it.
how do the refs not see that?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryId=2459789&id=8827245
5 sec mark

If we made a thread for every missed call that's obvious, nobody would be here.

blahblahyoutoo
01-12-2013, 03:12 AM
Well enlighten me as to why you think it could be a travel without seeing the players feet leave and then return to the ground?

It was already stated. Self pass.
Did u even watch the video? His feet never left the floor, but he threw the ball in the air and caught it. Refs don't need to see the feet to see that he caught his own toss up. That's a travel. Just like how a double dribble is a travel.
Pro-tip. Know what you're talking about before u try to insult someone. U look like less of a fool that way.

Arch Stanton
01-12-2013, 04:03 AM
The refs stink in the NBA. Old news. I find it funny that the OP is a Heat fan (or at least his avatar suggests) and is critical about officiating. Doesn't the Heat typically get bailed out by the refs in most games? Don't breathe on D. Wade.

krisxsong
01-12-2013, 04:25 AM
The refs stink in the NBA. Old news. I find it funny that the OP is a Heat fan (or at least his avatar suggests) and is critical about officiating. Doesn't the Heat typically get bailed out by the refs in most games? Don't breathe on D. Wade.

:facepalm:

Dwade should be averaging 40 points on 60% shooting then.

hornetsfansydne
01-12-2013, 06:52 PM
It was already stated. Self pass.
Did u even watch the video? His feet never left the floor, but he threw the ball in the air and caught it. Refs don't need to see the feet to see that he caught his own toss up. That's a travel. Just like how a double dribble is a travel.
Pro-tip. Know what you're talking about before u try to insult someone. U look like less of a fool that way.

Ohh that is what you are asking about, my apologies. Yes I did watch the video and yes his feet left the ground hence why it is a travel! There is no place in the rule book where it says you cannot throw the ball straight up if you do not move. If you take a couple of steps or a jump to go and get the ball from throwing it straight up then it is illegal. It is a common misconception that it is a travel. Same as you can't go and rebound your own airballed shot.

Mate I know the rules, I have been refereeing at a high level for 10 years now so trying to insult me or my rule knowledge wont get you far.

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Ohh that is what you are asking about, my apologies. Yes I did watch the video and yes his feet left the ground hence why it is a travel! There is no place in the rule book where it says you cannot throw the ball straight up if you do not move. If you take a couple of steps or a jump to go and get the ball from throwing it straight up then it is illegal. It is a common misconception that it is a travel. Same as you can't go and rebound your own airballed shot.

Mate I know the rules, I have been refereeing at a high level for 10 years now so trying to insult me or my rule knowledge wont get you far.

then you're a ****** ref.
ask anyone on this board. throwing the ball up in the air (without it hitting anything/anyone) and then catching it, whether it's a shot or a pass, is traveling.

hornetsfansydne
01-14-2013, 06:34 AM
ask anyone on this board. throwing the ball up in the air (without it hitting anything/anyone) and then catching it, whether it's a shot or a pass, is traveling.

The following articles are copied from the rule book (articles on travelling and double dribble) and no where does it mention that you cannot throw the ball to yourself. The only time it mentions it is during the section on dribbling saying you can throw the ball from hand to hand provided no travelling violation occurs.

Game, Set, Match

Art. 24 Dribbling
24.1 Definition
24.1.1 A dribble is the movement of a live ball caused by a player in control of that ball who
throws, taps, rolls the ball on the floor or deliberately throws it against the backboard.
24.1.2 A dribble starts when a player, having gained control of a live ball on the playing
court, throws, taps, rolls, dribbles it on the floor or deliberately throws it against the
backboard and touches it again before it touches another player.
A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or
permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
During a dribble the ball may be thrown into the air provided the ball touches the
floor or another player before the player who threw it touches it again with his hand.
There is no limit to the number of steps a player may take when the ball is not in
contact with his hand.
24.1.3 A player who accidentally loses and then regains control of a live ball on the playing
court is considered to be fumbling the ball.
24.1.4 The following are not dribbles:
 Successive shots for a field goal.
 Fumbling the ball at the beginning or at the end of a dribble.
 Attempts to gain control of the ball by tapping it from the vicinity of other
players.
 Tapping the ball from the control of another player.
 Deflecting a pass and gaining control of the ball.
 Tossing the ball from hand to hand and allowing it to come to rest in one or both
hands before touching the floor, provided that no travelling violation is
committed.
24.2 Rule
A player shall not dribble a second time after his first dribble has ended unless
between the two (2) dribbles he has lost control of a live ball on the playing court
because of:
 A shot for a field goal.
 A touch of the ball by an opponent.
 A pass or fumble that has touched or been touched by another player.
Art. 25 Travelling
25.1 Definition
25.1.1 Travelling is the illegal movement of one foot or both feet beyond the limits outlined
in this article, in any direction, while holding a live ball on the playing court.
25.1.2 A pivot is the legal movement in which a player who is holding a live ball on the
playing court steps once or more than once in any direction with the same foot,
while the other foot, called the pivot foot, is kept at its point of contact with the floor.
25.2 Rule
25.2.1 Establishing a pivot foot for a player who catches a live ball on the playing
court:
 While standing with both feet on the floor:
▬ The moment one foot is lifted, the other foot becomes the pivot foot.
 While moving:
▬ If one foot is touching the floor, that foot becomes the pivot foot.
▬ If both feet are off the floor and the player lands on both feet simultaneously,
the moment one foot is lifted, the other foot becomes the pivot foot.
▬ If both feet are off the floor and the player lands on one foot, then that foot
becomes the pivot foot. If a player jumps off that foot and comes to a stop
landing on both feet simultaneously, then neither foot is a pivot foot.
25.2.2 Progressing with the ball for a player who has established a pivot foot while
having the control of a live ball on the playing court:
 While standing with both feet on the floor:
▬ To start a dribble, the pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released
from the hand(s).
▬ To pass or shoot for a field goal, the player may jump off a pivot foot, but
neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released from the
hand(s).
 While moving:
▬ To pass or shoot for a field goal, the player may jump off a pivot foot and
land on one foot or both feet simultaneously. After that, one foot or both
feet may be lifted from the floor but neither foot may be returned to the
floor before the ball is released from the hand(s).
▬ To start a dribble, the pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released
from the hand(s).
 While coming to a stop when neither foot is the pivot foot:
▬ To start a dribble, neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released from
the hand(s).
▬ To pass or shoot for a field goal, one foot or both feet may be lifted but may
not be returned to the floor before the ball is released from the hand(s).
25.2.3 Player falling, lying or sitting on the floor:
 It is legal when a player falls and slides on the floor while holding the ball or,
while lying or sitting on the floor, gains control of the ball.
 It is a violation if the player then rolls or attempts to stand up while holding the
ball.

hornetsfansydne
01-14-2013, 06:38 AM

The only time it is a violation is if you move on the play, if you stay in the same position and throw it upwards it is perfectly legal

HowFit
01-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Yep, sure is...

LeperMessiah
01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Refs missed a call?! My trust in their ability to officiate a game will forever be questioned, now.