PDA

View Full Version : Utah Jazz "Thugging it up"??

Ware_Spencer
01-09-2013, 03:04 AM
The Jazz played physical against the Mavs and after beating them Carlisle had some interesting comments:

"They went to basically thugging it up and that's when the game turned, and I thought the officiating went their way," Carlisle said. "They started to get calls and we weren't able to get the whistles.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/1/8/3850478/rick-carlisle-referees-mavericks-vs-jazz-thug

"That was probably a function of their aggressiveness. But at the same time I thought there were a couple of times where a whistle could have blown for us."

On the other hand, the Jazz coach felt it ignited the team:

"I thought it was a momentum-builder," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin. "Everybody [became] determined they weren’t going to let anybody run over them; we were going to fight the entire time. I thought that was a big play to get us going. From there, we just picked it up."

Favors just felt he was playing physical:

Asked about the play, Favors shook his head slightly.

"I just got physical," he said. I’m going to make them call something."

GIF of Favors thugging it up
http://jazzfanatical.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/favors-dirk-s.gif

Favors protecting teammate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7KI7bWkPrY&feature=player_embedded

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
When you can't win games, you tackle people.

KnickaBocka.44
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Favors was just playing physical D. Dirk wrapped his arms around Favors while he was falling to the ground in an attempt to draw a foul call.

Clippersfan86
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
I love Favors and nothing about that play you linked was dirty. The one where he stands up for Kanter actually made me respect him more. Jack is a big mouth who likes to instigate people so to see Favors immediately step up for Kanter like that was awesome.

jmoney23
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
If anyone is a thug on the Jazz, it's the Gordon Hayward fella.

Stinkyoutsider
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Good for the Jazz to come together and stick up for each other as a team.

Seems like the Mavs are going thru some hard times right now, especially after Dirk made those comments about letting players go and it being a mistake by management.

kdspurman
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Mavs are going thru tough times. They're just playing soft now. If Cuban and Kenyon Martin didn't have their problems, he would help put some toughness on their front line.

I like that there's some grittiness from Utah/Favors.

JKiddFan4Life
01-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Favors was just playing physical D. Dirk wrapped his arms around Favors while he was falling to the ground in an attempt to draw a foul call.

Were you at the game or something?? What part of that clip shows Dirk wrapping his arms around Favors?! If anything, Favors wrapped Dirk and pushed him down. That's the only angle I see. From what I heard, Favors was pissed about the previous play where Dirk drew an offensive foul on him. The rest of the Mavs players were definitely soft for not standing up for their star player.

KnickaBocka.44
01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Were you at the game or something?? What part of that clip shows Dirk wrapping his arms around Favors?! If anything, Favors wrapped Dirk and pushed him down. That's the only angle I see. From what I heard, Favors was pissed about the previous play where Dirk drew an offensive foul on him. The rest of the Mavs players were definitely soft for not standing up for their star player.

You can see Dirk wrap his arm around him at the end of the clip.

sixer04fan
01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
The Jazz are known for that style of play. It's a strategy.

They foul you 40-50x a game, knowing that the refs only call about 20-25 fouls for each team per game on average.

I remember this specifically about the Jazz. Whenever the Sixers play them, it always gets brought up.

JKiddFan4Life
01-09-2013, 01:57 PM
You can see Dirk wrap his arm around him at the end of the clip.

When he's falling to the ground? That seems like the natural reaction. But it looked like solid D from Favors, up until the ball was loose.

Kyben36
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
When you can't win games, you tackle people.

whats the lakers excuse

Kyben36
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
personaly I love tought play in basketball but the nba is trying to outlaw it.

smith&wesson
01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Lol so funny...

These sorta plays happen all the time..

Clippersfan86
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
The Jazz are known for that style of play. It's a strategy.

They foul you 40-50x a game, knowing that the refs only call about 20-25 fouls for each team per game on average.

I remember this specifically about the Jazz. Whenever the Sixers play them, it always gets brought up.

Although in this particular instance I see nothing wrong I do agree that 3 teams actually are in this boat. The Jazz, Grizzlies and Nuggets all get away with MURDER hacking teams, yet barely touch them and it's fouls. I hate playing these teams because they get reffed soft when you're on defense but refs turn a blind eye when they are on defense.

Chill_Will_24
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
I want Favors back :(

Rylz
01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Although in this particular instance I see nothing wrong I do agree that 3 teams actually are in this boat. The Jazz, Grizzlies and Nuggets all get away with MURDER hacking teams, yet barely touch them and it's fouls. I hate playing these teams because they get reffed soft when you're on defense but refs turn a blind eye when they are on defense.

The Jazz get reffed soft? They have been in the top 5 in fouls committed just about every season I can remember. If all the calls really go their way, as you are suggesting, you'd think to find them on the opposite end of that list, wouldn't you? Though over in flop city, I don't really expect you to be an expert on how officiating should be done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmTshvfmMHY).

The Jazz play physical. They always have, and probably always will. With a legacy of physical players like Stockton and Malone, why wouldn't you? We're not afraid to foul, and we're not afraid to be called for committing fouls. It's a physical game.

Gritz
01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Big money, big pistol is how I'm comin' cuz I'm THUGGIN THUGGIN, You talkin loud, but you ain't sayin nothin cuz I'm THUGGIN THUGGIN

Clippersfan86
01-09-2013, 04:47 PM
The Jazz get reffed soft? They have been in the top 5 in fouls committed just about every season I can remember. If all the calls really go their way, as you are suggesting, you'd think to find them on the opposite end of that list, wouldn't you? Though over in flop city, I don't really expect you to be an expert on how officiating should be done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmTshvfmMHY).

The Jazz play physical. They always have, and probably always will. With a legacy of physical players like Stockton and Malone, why wouldn't you? We're not afraid to foul, and we're not afraid to be called for committing fouls. It's a physical game.

Like I said... this is just my viewing experience. I didn't say they attempt more free throws etc but refs let them play way more physical than you're allowed to play them. Favors, Kanter especially get away with a TON of illegal screens, hacks, hand checking etc.