PDA

View Full Version : At 15-19, will the Lakers end up making the playoffs?

NYSpirit1
01-09-2013, 12:17 AM
This has an asterisk too, because it'll likely be 15-21 after playing two of the three top teams in the NBA in OKC and SA without Howard, Hill or Gasol.

You'll probably have to win 45 games in the West to make the playoffs, which means the Lakers will have to go 30-16 the rest of the way.

If they take the next two, maybe, but if they lose the next two, I say no, they don't.

ManRam
01-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Yes

shep33
01-09-2013, 12:19 AM
This season has been a cluster ****. So many injuries, too many different coaches, no time to implement new systems on the fly (because of injuries), an under achieving bench... just the whole shabang.

xxplayerxx23
01-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Depends on how long Howard and gasol are out for. Maybe Portland will fall? Houston( doubt it like them a lot) ? Denver? Not much room for them to jump. They would have to start winning now. I think they will sneak in

Avenged
01-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Going to say no.

At this point, they haven't shown any signs that they will. Having constant injuries to our core players isn't helping either.

xxplayerxx23
01-09-2013, 12:32 AM
They don't have their pick this year either ?

Teeboy1487
01-09-2013, 12:37 AM
No way we make it especially in the western conference. This team is terrible and we have a mediocre coach. The Lakers have star power but that's it. The only decent role player on the team is Jordan Hill. The rest of the Lakers outside of Kobe/Nash/Dwight suck. Even Gasol is playing the worst basketball in his career. Just not our year.

c.c.
01-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Depends on how long Howard and Gasol are out for. Maybe Portland will fall? Houston( doubt it like them a lot) ? Denver? Not much room for them to jump. They would have to start winning now. I think they will sneak in

But they been losing with or without those guys

celmxc
01-09-2013, 12:40 AM
yeah ... i think they can make the 8th seed

xxplayerxx23
01-09-2013, 12:41 AM
But they been losing with or without those guys

I get that,. I just think its to much talent to not work lol. But if both miss more time I don't think they will make it their backups are eh lol it would be kinda funny after the shot we had to hear on psd about lal ESP from mr.la

Supreme LA
01-09-2013, 12:41 AM
I'd be really surprised if they did. The team is just too inconsistent, poor defensively, and inept offensively. Wrong coach, wrong philosophy, and no belief at this point.

I do however believe that Phil Jackson could really bring the best out this team. How good that is we'll never know.

sep11ie
01-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Knicks are struggling so the fans have to call out other teams. Typical...

jimm120
01-09-2013, 12:44 AM
You fire Dantoni and once the players are back, I can guarantee that the Lakers will go 15-5 after going 15-19 with Dantoni.

Dantoni sucks balls as a coach.

STA_PLAR
01-09-2013, 12:45 AM
i kind of feel bad for okc if la gets the eight seed. not that la will win but its a task lol.

TheNumber37
It's a long season, but they'd have to play top 10 league wide basketball from here on out. and injuries to the wolves, rockets, Jazz, would help.

Mcdoh
maybe

NYSpirit1
01-09-2013, 12:47 AM

I didn't know 2nd in the East, top five record and three All-Star candidates was struggling...

STA_PLAR
01-09-2013, 12:47 AM

Damn we can't do anything without your consent right? Cus You a BOSS?

Hardaway Here
01-09-2013, 12:48 AM
If they don't make it should be a nice lesson to not hype up paper teams before the season plays out. We all know injuries can happen to any player at any time. Rose is perfect example.

DoMeFavors
01-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Need to trade some players and waive ebanks and the other guys that arent depth and sign some vets like Kmart.

soundjunkies2
01-09-2013, 12:49 AM
I'll say no.. I can't see them flipping the switch and then all of a sudden start playing defense.

Unless there are some major changes. Getting younger, more athletic and getting some bench play. Hell, there are 2 free agents in West and Martin who would instantly make this team better.

STA_PLAR
01-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Im still rooting for the lakers to make it. Like them or hate them it ain't the same without the Lakers making it.

Mikeb29
01-09-2013, 12:52 AM
All depends on how fast they come back from these injuries. Next 2 games can say are pretty much a loss. So hopefully we get everyone back by Sunday and can go on a streak from there. If not the seasons done

jimm120
01-09-2013, 12:52 AM

Dude, stop being a hater.

LA is a premium team. I LOATHE the lakers but this is a legit question to ask. And its a conversation I gladly join. Its not about "picking" on someone else. Its about discussing a team which after upgrading from Bynum to Dwight (which is my belief) and getting Nash (old but still great as ****!) was being PROJECTED to be a top team that could contend with the likes of Oklahoma and Miami.

Not only have they failed, its been just downright bad.

0-8 preseason, I think.
1-4 with Mike Brown
3-1 with the interimn
.500 with Dantoni

Those aren't good numbers.

I still beleive they can do it, but I hold on to the whole concept of Dantoni being the main problem. At least with Mike Brown, you could say they were still getting assimilated. With Dantoni (as a KNICKS fan that had to endure with him for 3 1/2 years!), its more of a lack of coaching.

I always said that Dantoni was a bad coach. His first 2 NY teams were bad and so people gave him a pass. But those teams had problems which yet again presented themselves in the 2010 team and in the 2011 team. That shows that no matter the roster, Dantoni had the same difficulties.

And now he's brought those same difficulties to the Lakers.

C'mon, Pau at the corner 3??? WTF! I still remember Anthony Randolph and a few others like this.

jimm120
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Need to trade some players and waive ebanks and the other guys that arent depth and sign some vets like Kmart.

Dantoni is already FED UP having post/slow players like Dwight, Pau, and Hill already. You think he wants more?

He wants a center like Amare (not dwight), that can shoot from 15-18 and drive in.

He wants a PF to stand at the corner 3 point line, to get the "easy 3" from the corner and to stretch the center defense.

The last think this guy wants is to have not 1, but 4 players that are tough, defense post players.

sharqstealth
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM

Really? Watch your words dude, this has nothing to do with the whole Knicks fan base. I don't think the poster is bashing or trolling the Lakers. This is a logical question, and a concern on how will the Lakers do... They are a big market team, so obviously they will be a talk in the whole nation, and even in other cities who love basketball

jimm120
01-09-2013, 12:56 AM
All depends on how fast they come back from these injuries. Next 2 games can say are pretty much a loss. So hopefully we get everyone back by Sunday and can go on a streak from there. If not the seasons done

I'm telling you...

Dantoni gets fired and the Lakers would be with a .600 win percentage the rest of the way. Horrible coach. And look at all the drama in the locker room, another weak area of his. He doesn't know how to build morale with his teams.

DoMeFavors
01-09-2013, 12:59 AM

LA is a premium team. I LOATHE the lakers but this is a legit question to ask. And its a conversation I gladly join. Its not about "picking" on someone else. Its about discussing a team which after upgrading from Bynum to Dwight (which is my belief) and getting Nash (old but still great as ****!) was being PROJECTED to be a top team that could contend with the likes of Oklahoma and Miami.

0-8 preseason, I think.
1-4 with Mike Brown
3-1 with the interimn
.500 with Dantoni

I still beleive they can do it, but I hold on to the whole concept of Dantoni being the main problem. At least with Mike Brown, you could say they were still getting assimilated. With Dantoni (as a KNICKS fan that had to endure with him for 3 1/2 years!), its more of a lack of coaching.

I always said that Dantoni was a bad coach. His first 2 NY teams were bad and so people gave him a pass. But those teams had problems which yet again presented themselves in the 2010 team and in the 2011 team. That shows that no matter the roster, Dantoni had the same difficulties.

C'mon, Pau at the corner 3??? WTF! I still remember Anthony Randolph and a few others like this.

Dantoni had the Felton,Fields,Chandler,Gallo,Amare team playing great, they had good chemistry. Its fair to say he was great.

rockbottom2010
01-09-2013, 01:04 AM
remember....dwight howard is a free agent after this season.....if they don't make it to the playoffs....i expect the lakers to do a sign and trade....

DoMeFavors
01-09-2013, 01:06 AM
remember....dwight howard is a free agent after this season.....if they don't make it to the playoffs....i expect the lakers to do a sign and trade....

I dont think you can if you are over the cap.

soundjunkies2
01-09-2013, 01:10 AM

You can if the team you're trading the player to is under the cap.

LA4life24/8
01-09-2013, 01:18 AM
i say yes just because the teams in the 6-8 slots arent exactly consistent either, the lakers *COULD* get it together at any moment ( if current injuries arent extreme) and get on a roll and win 10-15 in a row they have that much talent, i still think a 7 or 8 seed is possible, and then theyd be a very dangerous 7 or 8 seed, especially seven since they would probably not face OKC then ha ha

c.c.
01-09-2013, 01:19 AM
It's a long season, but they'd have to play top 10 league wide basketball from here on out. and injuries to the wolves, Rockets, Jazz, would help.

Don't wish injuries on my Rockets!

Becks2307
01-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Dantoni had the Felton,Fields,Chandler,Gallo,Amare team playing great, they had good chemistry. Its fair to say he was great.

uhhh...that team was 26-24 and dropping quickly.

I can't believed you called D'Antoni great!? he sucks so much. Lakers need to fire him but that wont happen.

LA4life24/8
01-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Dantoni is already FED UP having post/slow players like Dwight, Pau, and Hill already. You think he wants more?

He wants a center like Amare (not dwight), that can shoot from 15-18 and drive in.

He wants a PF to stand at the corner 3 point line, to get the "easy 3" from the corner and to stretch the center defense.

The last think this guy wants is to have not 1, but 4 players that are tough, defense post players.

dude screw what dantoni wants, if you cannot adjust your system to fit the likes of d12 and pau gasol, GTFO... worse coaching choice than brown seriously, at least they attempted defense w potatohead

BALLER R
01-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Put it this way. Who would of thought that at this point in the season the Lakers would only have 3 more wins than the Raptors. Mind you the Raptors started the season 4-19.

Duncan = Donkey
01-09-2013, 01:42 AM
I hope not, Phoenix needs that pick

SirSkyHook
01-09-2013, 01:47 AM
I dont know. Mike D is running the starters mainly Kobe into the ground. Tonights 4th quarter showed it. They were to tired in the second hand to rotate and the Rockets knew it

PleaseBeNice
01-09-2013, 01:48 AM
I honestly think they will miss the playoffs. No consistency.

Money_23
01-09-2013, 01:48 AM
only 2 things can save the season for the Lakers now:
1. beg for Phil
2. get 2006/2007 Kobe (very well possible considering this is one of his best offensive seasons yet)

rocky4104
01-09-2013, 01:59 AM
at this point, they can still make a run at number 8. and when they do, it's a whole new ball game, everybody's back to zero.

the crucial part is the games wherein Gasol and Howard are not playing, if they falter in that stretch, even if those 2 come back it will be an uphill climb for them.

hoping for them to lose out on the playoff run though, by then, the pick will go to the Suns 8-)

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 02:06 AM
1. beg for Phil
2. get 2006/2007 Kobe (very well possible considering this is one of his best offensive seasons yet)

Too bad Phil said he's not interested in coaching anymore.

Alayla
01-09-2013, 02:07 AM
Im going with Yes. there is to much talent on that roster to not be able to figure it out but as for winning a ring? doubt it.

Hardaway Here
01-09-2013, 02:13 AM
1. beg for Phil

they had their chance to get phil he isn't coming back now

sep11ie
01-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Damn we can't do anything without your consent right? Cus You a BOSS?

0-8 preseason, I think.
1-4 with Mike Brown
3-1 with the interimn
.500 with Dantoni

Really? Watch your words dude, this has nothing to do with the whole Knicks fan base. I don't think the poster is bashing or trolling the Lakers. This is a logical question, and a concern on how will the Lakers do... They are a big market team, so obviously they will be a talk in the whole nation, and even in other cities who love basketball

Here's his other gem from tonight. Keep calling me wrong...

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?p=25027538&posted=1#post25027538

rockbottom2010
01-09-2013, 02:31 AM

well....if thats the case....he will walk away and sign with the mavs....

ThunderousDemon
01-09-2013, 02:35 AM
If the Lakers don't make the playoffs this season, they will in the next one.

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 02:44 AM
If the Lakers don't make the playoffs the fans are gonna come up with sooooooooo many excuses.

torocan
01-09-2013, 03:14 AM
I just don't see it happening.

They play the 2nd of a back to back IN San Antonio tomorrow. Then they play OKC at home... without Dwight, Hill, and possibly without Pau for both games.

46 wins is usually the minimum to make the 8th seed, the average over the last 5 seasons is 48 wins, and there are a few seasons where 50 wins didn't get you the 8th seed.

They'd have to basically play .700 ball for the rest of the season to lock a spot. Unless they literally gel overnight, it's a pretty darn steep hill to climb.

Hardaway Here
01-09-2013, 03:23 AM
If the Lakers don't make the playoffs the fans are gonna come up with sooooooooo many excuses.

I don't think it will be that many. I mean you know they going to go straight to the injuries as one like they're the only team that happens to. Even though when they weren't injured it wasn't impressive.

Lakers + Giants
01-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Nope. I'm just being completely honest.

Sactown
01-09-2013, 03:30 AM
They're only 4 games back, definitely could make it. Not saying they will, but there's still a chance

Greedy22
01-09-2013, 03:30 AM
I'll be surprised if we do, we are so terrible and lack effort night in and night out.

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 03:31 AM
I don't think it will be that many. I mean you know they going to go straight to the injuries as one like they're the only team that happens to. Even though when they weren't injured it wasn't impressive.

And they're gonna talk about how many banners they got when that's not even relevant.

SACNYY
01-09-2013, 03:34 AM
I vote yes because I am a huge Kobe fan.

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2013, 03:35 AM
They *might* drag their sorry butts to the 8th seed, but then they'll just be taken out back and put down by whichever #1 seed they face (OKC/SA/LAC). Even Memphis would eat them alive. This Lakers team is so lost.

N. Cog Neato
01-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Well, lemme see here. We have an aging backcourt, with a 38 year old running the point. Our C is a huge malcontent, who misses more FT's than blind dart thrower misses the bullseye. Our bench isn't that good, our coach runs an offense designed for players ten years younger than they are. Our PF is out with a concussion, after missing a while with bum knees. Our backup C/PF is out for a while....nope, we're doomed to watching other teams playing in the postseason. No way should we have sold the farm to get a 38 year old PG, and a player I dubbed "Malcontent C".

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2013, 03:47 AM
If the Lakers don't make the playoffs the fans are gonna come up with sooooooooo many excuses.As a Lakers fan, I won't be. They haven't shown any heart all season. They deserve what happens. Injuries, schminjuries. They've had a crappy bench from the start, then they signed a mindless coach and decided defense was like radiation.

305 till I die
01-09-2013, 03:49 AM
I have never seen anything like this in the time I have watched the NBA. Kobe, Nash, Howard, Pau? and they cant make the playoffs? They have NO excuse to atleast not make the playoffs.

305 till I die
01-09-2013, 03:56 AM
I cant believe they didn't hire Phil Jackson and to add insult to injury they hire mike D'antoni who has been a failure as a NBA coach. Why is he even regarded as a good coach around the league.

DreamShaker
01-09-2013, 04:05 AM
They will miss the playoffs, win the lottery, draft Shabazz, and he will be the next MJ. That's how it usually works for them.

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2013, 04:05 AM
I cant believe they didn't hire Phil Jackson and to add insult to injury they hire mike D'antoni who has been a failure as a NBA coach. Why is he even regarded as a good coach around the league.Because of Steve Nash and guys that can knock down countless 3's.

Duncan = Donkey
01-09-2013, 04:46 AM
They will miss the playoffs, win the lottery, draft Shabazz, and he will be the next MJ. That's how it usually works for them.

Cant win the lottery without a ticket.

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Cant win the lottery without a ticket.Yeah, it's not like we traded away 15 of them for Nash.

RLundi
01-09-2013, 05:56 AM
No, and I am ecstatic because of their plight. Combine that with the fact that their first round pick goes to Phoenix and the Lakers won't have a pick till the second round. Lol oh the irony.

RLundi
01-09-2013, 05:57 AM

Lakers don't have a first-round pick so they'll have nothing to show for this embarrassment of a season.

Hawkeye15
01-09-2013, 06:19 AM
This season has been a cluster ****. So many injuries, too many different coaches, no time to implement new systems on the fly (because of injuries), an under achieving bench... just the whole shabang.

you will have to forgive me as a Wolves fan for sort of laughing at the bolded statement. Let's compare games missed by contributing players right now, and in 6 weeks, and I think I win in a landslide...

eso
01-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Yes they will scrape in and teams won't wont to face them. See you in the first round OKC..

mjt20mik
01-09-2013, 06:43 AM
After watching tonight's game, add into the fact that they have countless injuries, I am really skeptical that they make it.

lakerboy
01-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Lakers in 2003 started at 13-20. They won 50 games that season. We'll get it!

MonroeFAN
01-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Is this seriously what Laker fans are saying?

b-ballistic
01-09-2013, 08:31 AM
I hate to say this, but many Laker fans deserve this kind of season. They threw Bynum under the bus and then laughed when he got injured after the trade. Yeah, Philly's payin' the price, but so are the Lakers.

AnthonyTyrael
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
you will have to forgive me as a Wolves fan for sort of laughing at the bolded statement. Let's compare games missed by contributing players right now, and in 6 weeks, and I think I win in a landslide...

For the second season in a row...worth to mention btw.

MonroeFAN
01-09-2013, 08:40 AM
The responses in this topic made by Laker fans are incredibly bad.

AnthonyTyrael
01-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Yes they will miss the playoffs just like Dallas if both teams don't pull the trigger right now. It all depends on what they're doing now. Actually I was surprised Kobe didn't go for 50 last night. He, Metta, Antawn and Nash got to be beast if they wanna win anything since I expect either one of Gasol or Howard to miss some more time. It's gotta be tough to make the playoff so or no matter if you're just 4, 7 or 20 games behind this season.

jimm120
01-09-2013, 09:06 AM

He had them playing great? Wtf?

That season, Knicks started 3-8. Then went on a 13-1 run. After that run, they were 12-17 before melo got there. And even with melo and Chauncey, they only went 14-14....

I hardly consider that 13-1 run sandwiched I between long bad stretches any good or "plating great"

Dantoni just sucks :/

Rockice_8
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm going to say no. They aren't playing that well with Gasol and Dwight anyway. Gasol should be back soon but I think Dwight is going to miss some time.

Not that they can't get hot. I think they will but it might be too late to be honest. The West is tough and if you fall to far behind it might just be too much to overcome. They need to turn it around very soon and there is nothing right now that is making me think they will.

Lakers will not make the playoffs. Wow

LakersIn5
01-09-2013, 10:08 AM
i hope so

Hickenlooper
01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Not unless they trade the most overrated player in the league before his stock totally tanks. Oh, and they need to fire 'Antoni.

mdm692
01-09-2013, 10:26 AM
I hope not because io they miss the playoffs PHX gets their lotto pick.

SlimKid
01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Not a Lakers fan by any means, but I still find it hard to completely rule them out of the playoffs. While this year has been abysmal and not really comparable to any other, it's kind of the Lakers MO.

SportsFanatic10
01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
all season so far i've thought they'd turn it around and get rolling. but now i've finally seen enough, i'm convinced that it's a lost season at this point.

Hardaway Here
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
As a Lakers fan, I won't be. They haven't shown any heart all season. They deserve what happens. Injuries, schminjuries. They've had a crappy bench from the start, then they signed a mindless coach and decided defense was like radiation.

Nice to see a Laker fan I can agree with too bad the majority of fans will come with excuses. Granted the Lakers do still have a chance to make it but I highly doubt it.

Rockice_8
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Kobe was right they are slow. The only guy living up to his legacy is Kobe. Pau, Nash, and Dwight all aren't playing at previous levels. They need some athletes cause they are old and look old. They might be better suited for the playoffs when the tempo slows but won't help cause their coach doesn't fit the personal.

Antoni was a a terrible higher. Go get Skiles he's available, just too bad they won't. Ah what do I care screw the Lakers.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
no....cant see us making it

JordansBulls
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Hopefully not, it would be funny to see the team that was predicted to win the west not even make the playoffs.

xxplayerxx23
01-09-2013, 12:29 PM

:laugh: 23-11 is struggling?

leftymo
01-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Nope. Stick a fork in them they are done. They have too many teams to jump over, and simply can't guard a tree...

They are injury prone and just a bad team. Bad teams don't make the playoffs. This would be the year for them to tank and land a top lottery pick...except that their bonehead GM and owner dump all of their 1st round picks like its the plague...

So keep in mind laker fans, whomever selects with our pick in this draft... just like Rajon Rondo, a laker pick that was traded away...

ManRam
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm kinda all over the place on this. On one hand I do think there's too much talent for these woes to continue. On the other hand, their two main problems (defense and bench) don't seem like they're gonna get better magically overnight.

Everyone is quick to point out offensive issues (most seem philosophical) but the problem isn't offense - it's defense. And I can't see that being fixed.

I thought Dwight's defense could be the saving grace. But I'm not sure we can assume he'll continue getting healthier this year. Also, their perimeter defense is so amazingly atrocious that not even 100% Dwight can fix that. And we all know that Mike D'Antoni isn't gonna either.

The Lakers have stayed steady offensively, even with Brown as the coach, ranking 6-8th in the league in offensive rating basically all season long. There's some room for that to improve, but probably not drastically.

Basically, I think there is only a marginal amount of room for improvement. Bringing in a bench player might help a lot, since their bench production is pretty darn awful. But I can't see the defense improving much at all, and unless the offense turns into the league's best, it's hard to imagine them going on a huge tear.

So they'll need help. LAC, OKC, SAS, MEM seem like absolute locks to make the playoffs. Let's say that Golden State and Houston are too (Golden State has shown no signs of slowing up, and Houston looks legit). That means LAL have to fight with Portland, Denver, Minnesota, Utah and Dallas for the final two spots. 6 teams fighting for 2 spots. I might be optimistic giving Dallas a shot...we'll see if Dirk can turn them around. I still would be surprised if Denver didn't make it. Portland I can see falling off for sure; they're the worst defensive team currently in a playoff spot, and they are one injury away from collapsing considering their utter lack of depth. They have a negative point differential too. Utah and Minnesota certainly have staying power too.

I don't think we're at the point where LAL are in must win (those people saying that if they don't win these next two games they're done are getting carried away). But they do have to turn it around soon. They've dug themselves a deep hole...but it isn't insurmountable.

There are more quality teams in the West than I felt there were preseason, and that ultimately might doom them. If Golden State, Houston and Portland were non-playoff teams like most of us felt entering the season, LA might not be in nearly the trouble they are.

I still say yes, but it's essentially just my gut speaking now. My head disagrees, finally.

akagiredsuns
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
You fire Dantoni and once the players are back, I can guarantee that the Lakers will go 15-5 after going 15-19 with Dantoni.

Dantoni sucks balls as a coach.

First off they weren't 15-19 with d'antoni. They were 5-5 with brown before mike d took over. Still 10-14 is no picnic either.

xxplayerxx23
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
First off they weren't 15-19 with d'antoni. They were 5-5 with brown before mike d took over. Still 10-14 is no picnic either.

Wrong they were 1-4 with brown they didn't get 5 Wins with brown

king4day
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Suns fans are hoping they miss. We'd get their unprotected lottery pick.

I can't see them not making it though.

bluefire7002
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Really hope they steal one tonight or Friday night.
Otherwise its going to get real tough coming out of 15-21, especially the way the 7th and 8th seed are picking up steam now.

Lim
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
it doesn't really matter what record you had to have in the past to make the playoffs in the west. that is the PAST. 8th seed right now is only 4 games over 500. Lakers are still better than Minnesota and Utah who are ahead of them and i can see Portland dropping out cause they literally have no bench. its gonna be tough because of the injuries but i still see them squeaking in. wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it though.

el hidalgo
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
they arent going to get in unless kobe starts deferring to the big men and getting them going. nash will help this tremendously, but kobe is gonna have to quit playing hero ball and distribute more.

Chill_Will_24
01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
It was pointed out last night by Webber that they would have to finish the rest of the season with a .500 record. With how competitive it is in the west i do not see that happening the way the Lakers are playing. They look dysfunctional. By all indications Howard is not even returning.

They should count their losses and tank the rest of the season unless they really think they can play at a .500 level from here till the end of the season

xxplayerxx23
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
They have to play better then a 500 record to make it. Espn reported last week when they were 15-18 that to get into the playoffs on the west (on average over the last 4 years - lay years shortened season) they would have to finish 33-16 to get in with the 48 wins

Sly Guy
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
if they don't it'll be a failure much bigger than the malone, payton, shaq, kobe lineup of years back.

KnickaBocka.44
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
It was pointed out last night by Webber that they would have to finish the rest of the season with a .500 record. With how competitive it is in the west i do not see that happening the way the Lakers are playing. They look dysfunctional. By all indications Howard is not even returning.

They should count their losses and tank the rest of the season unless they really think they can play at a .500 level from here till the end of the season

What would be the point of tanking? They don't have a first round pick this year, they traded it to Phoenix.

Chill_Will_24
01-09-2013, 03:29 PM
What would be the point of tanking? They don't have a first round pick this year, they traded it to Phoenix.

:laugh2: omg they are so ****ed

I am just going to say what everyone is thinking; Lakers fans' tears are so delicious.

torocan
01-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Can you even call yourself a Lottery team if you have no draft picks in the Lottery? :facepalm:

nycericanguy
01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Goes to show u why they play the games, all the talk of 72 wins, now they probably have to play .667 ball the rest of the way just to get into the playoffs.

Chill_Will_24
01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Damn is the pick protected? The Suns might have a bargain there. What did the Suns trade for that pick?

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Goes to show u why they play the games, all the talk of 72 wins, now they probably have to play .667 ball the rest of the way just to get into the playoffs.

Which just isn't going to happen with all these injuries and lack of chemistry.

KnickaBocka.44
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Damn is the pick protected? The Suns might have a bargain there. What did the Suns trade for that pick?

It was part of the Nash trade and it is unprotected. There is no way they saw their season going this badly so I can't exactly blame them for that.

KnickaBocka.44
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM
The Lakers have 11 more games against SA/OKC/LAC/MEM/MIA also, it's almost like they already have 30 losses.

Dnovakovic099
01-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Timberwolves are getting the 8th seed book it. It's like the good and bad. LA has every player wanting to play for them and Minnesota's star player wants out... Minnesota's star player hasn't even played most of the season, and when he has he hasn't been that good. Lakers say injuries, Minnesota has more. The Timberwolves are the ultimate underdog! It would be awesome if they traded KLove to the Bulls, I am a Bulls fan :-) hahahah, and still made the playoffs and had a first round upset. **** KLove for being a *****. That whole team is playing their hearts out and the Lakers are just *****ing. Go Wolves!

Dnovakovic099
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
This is coming from a guy who watches the Lakers every other game and roots for them. I don't know I just still like Pau, Kobe, and Nash. We all want them to do good just so we can see what they can do. However, unless the coach gets fired they are going nowhere. D'Antoni ****ed blows.

todu82
01-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Can't see it. To many injuries and a poor record at this point of the season.

IversonIsKrazy
01-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Honestly this seems so strange. Lakers potentially not making the playoffs. Won't seem like a traditional May without the Purple & Yellow. Not gunna lie though, I will enjoy it if that happens!

But overall, I still refuse to comment about it. Even when my friends ask, I just refuse to answer the questions. You just never know, they have all the talent. With that type of talent, u can never count them out, they can easily get it together and put a huge winning streak and no one will be surprised, it's the Lakers. I wouldn't count them out.

nyKnicks126
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Probably not.. and watch them land the #1 pick..

ThaDubs
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Not possible.
Even if it was Kobe would ruin any rookie starter's year.
Besides, Cody>Kobe.

KnickaBocka.44
01-09-2013, 06:27 PM

They traded their first rounder to the Suns.

Chill_Will_24
01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
They better start thinking ahead now. Do they trade Howard at the deadline? If so to who? Does Nash go as well? To the Knicks probably? I cannot see him wanting to stay there if they are not making the playoffs

nyKnicks126
01-09-2013, 10:14 PM
They traded their first rounder to the Suns.

That I didn't know..

Fired-Up
01-09-2013, 11:08 PM
D'Antoni just flat out doesn't care about perimeter defense. I mean the man either doesn't care or he knows as much about defense as a toddler.

ManRam
01-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Yup. This has to be some historically bad perimeter defense. They're a sieve out there.

And Dwight might only be 60% of his normal self, but without him paroling the paint defensively, they're screwed. If he misses a lot of time (and I know Lakers fans want to make him the scapegoat) the team is indeed screwed. He's their only hope defensively...and with that said, he ain't solving the perimeter woes.

Bigbadmoffo
01-09-2013, 11:20 PM
This has an asterisk too, because it'll likely be 15-21 after playing two of the three top teams in the NBA in OKC and SA without Howard, Hill or Gasol.

You'll probably have to win 45 games in the West to make the playoffs, which means the Lakers will have to go 30-16 the rest of the way.

If they take the next two, maybe, but if they lose the next two, I say no, they don't.

Raptors might have a better season at this point. Nash you silly man

jimm120
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Lakers lost yet again tonight.

and again, it was on a timeout, last play shot.

One of Dantoni's problems is that. He was with the Kniicks for 3 1/2 years. And for every year, it was the same problems (which used to be my old sig).

1 - HORRIBLE out of timeouts
2 - HORRIBLE defense
3 - Too many 3 pointers
4 - PF is pushed to the 3 point line, even if he can't
5 - Doesn't play BIGS or wants to play1 big man (that can shot from the free throw at least)
6 - Dog Houses players out of the wazoo!
7 - HORRIBLE management of players and doesn't motivate

These 7 things are things I saw for each KNicks team.

The 2008 team sucked but still exhibited these symptoms
The 2009 team sucked but still exhibited these symptoms.
The 2010 (Amare/Felton/Wilson/Gallo) team was good but still exhibited these symptoms.
The 2010 (Amare/Melo/Billups) team was good but still exhibited these symptoms.
The 2011 (Melo/Amare/Lin/Tyson) team was good but still exhibited these symptoms.

Yes, the Knicks literally had ALL of those "different' teams those years. That doesn't help with cohesiveness. In the end, though, when all of those "different teams" exhibited the SAME SYMPTOMS, it shows that its not the team, but the coach.

Now ask yourself, out of those 7 things I put, which are being displayed by the lakers since Dantoni was there?

ThunderousDemon
01-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Oh no :yawn:

Dade County
01-10-2013, 12:02 AM
The Lakers will be in the WCF or the Finals... You guys are so easy to manipulate that it isn't even funny.

SouthSideRookie
01-10-2013, 02:00 AM

Someone bumped an old thread on this very subject today. There was one poster who said the Clippers would be better than the Lakers and everyone was bashing the guy, even mods. :laugh2:

ThaDubs
01-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Change thread title. 15-20 :laugh:

richiesaurus310
01-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Looking at their remaining schedule theyre gonna lose at least 8 more games, but as long as they go at least 30-17 the rest of the way they have a chance of getting the 8th seed.

Kenny
01-10-2013, 03:01 AM
I would say Clips, Thunder, Grizz, Spurs, Warriors, Rockets and nuggets are 7 locks to make the playoffs.

The 8th spot I like portlands top 4 guys but their depth is a joke. Any minor injuries to those guys I don't see them holding up. Probable a 38-40 win team. Utah is a 42ish win team. And the Timberwolves with the love injury it is a little harder to predict. They have the most abillity of these teams but they might be a 39-43 win team depending how quickyl love and rubio can get back.

So Lakers are going to need 43 wins to get that final spot. 28-19 down the stretch. Their schedule is brutal rest of way. They got lots of road stretches and they don;t have a 10 game stretch where you can say they can go 8-2.