PDA

View Full Version : Does your team have an albatross - Why do guys like Caron make bank?

Chronz
01-08-2013, 05:47 PM
While guys like Matt Barnes bounce around signing minimum contracts? Im sure lots of teams have guys in the rotation that seem to play better than overpaid vets ahead of them. For my team, that overpaid vet is Caron Butler.

Clippers essentially locked up an 8M a year player to produce at a Minimum salary rate.

Meanwhile Matt Barnes has been looking for that long term contract ever since he ineptly turned down GS's offer. Since then hes had some quality years for a role player on contending teams, meanwhile Caron has struggled to produce in years.

Why such a difference in pay? My take is that GM's tend to overvalue shot creation. Travis Outlaw. Caron Butler. Ron Mercer. Beasley.

Come to think about it, Super Cool Beasley vs Jared Dudley is similar example. Beasley will get the cash but how many would actually say hes a better basketball player?

Anyways, whos your teams albatross and would you want someone else to get more of his minutes?

Ebbs
01-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Butler was real good for awhile though. He was an all star. He earned a pay check it sucks injuries had him fall off.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
I think you hit an important point. GM's love shot creators. I also think a lot of GM's decide to offer contracts to guys who are starting their downward descent of play. Hell, many of the highest paid players are guys who are no longer worth their deals, and are being paid because of what they did 4 years ago..

I also think that many players, once they get a great deal worth a lot of money, just relax a bit. That happens in all sports to a degree, which is why its such a risk to offer a young player big money sometimes.

The Beasley example is a good one. #2 pick, everything about him says NBA scorer, but at what expense?

Chronz
01-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Butler was real good for awhile though. He was an all star. He earned a pay check it sucks injuries had him fall off.
Any idea why Barnes cant get a somewhat decent deal despite being better than Butler?

I mean Butler was real sorry and real injured for a good while too.

Sactown
01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
I would say John Salmons but he has been very productive this season, which makes sense since there's an early termination option next season. So I'm going to go with chuck Hayes, he doesn't nearly deserve his contract

Tmath
01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Basically the whole Raptors roster, but we have to overpay everyone to play here.

JWO35
01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Charlie Villanueva

/Thread

Chronz
I would say John Salmons but he has been very productive this season, which makes sense since there's an early termination option next season. So I'm going to go with chuck Hayes, he doesn't nearly deserve his contract

This is a great counter example to mine because its one with a perceived quality role player and the other typically seen as a shot creator. Tho Salmons has reigned his own offense in, the net gain in efficiency has really helped his game.

Ive been disappointed with Hayes in Sactown, I dont think hes much of an albatross considering the entire team (including its cornerstone) is floundering.

DreamShaker
Any idea why Barnes cant get a somewhat decent deal despite being better than Butler?

I mean Butler was real sorry and real injured for a good while too.

It could be as simple as big name that is not that old. People just assume they can bounce back under the right circumstances.

Chronz
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
It could be as simple as big name that is not that old. People just assume they can bounce back under the right circumstances.
Sometimes the simplest answer makes the most sense.

Charlie Villanueva

/Thread

Bingo. Another shot creator aka chucker

DreamShaker
01-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Charlie Villanueva

/Thread

He has never stopped being overrated. College, the draft, Pistons contract. I remember everyone scratching their heads at people drafting/signing him almost right away.

nickdymez
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Potential. The league gives away money for potential and what you have already done.

Sactown
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
This is a great counter example to mine because its one with a perceived quality role player and the other typically seen as a shot creator. Tho Salmons has reigned his own offense in, the net gain in efficiency has really helped his game.

Ive been disappointed with Hayes in Sactown, I dont think hes much of an albatross considering the entire team (including its cornerstone) is floundering.

Salmons just didn't look like he cared last season, and I mentioned Hayes because everyone knows young players have ups and downs, but Hayes was suppose to bring consistency and leadership which he hasn't. And he's also has a larger salary than Cous and Reke..

bucketss
01-08-2013, 06:27 PM
bargnani was playing over ed davis man that was frustrating to watch

amos1er
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Yes...Dwight Howard. :(

Cracka2HI!
01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Caron Butler...oh wait.