PDA

View Full Version : Suns/Griz in Rudy Gay talks

king4day
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Rudy Gay is averaging 17.8 points and 5.8 rebounds this season. (USA Today Sports)The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gay will make $16.4 million this year.

The Suns have been mindful of their financial state under Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, and there are still doubts within the organization they will ultimately be able to absorb the remainder of Gay's contract.

The Suns own the Los Angeles Lakers' first round picks in 2013 and 2015.

Under new ownership and management, the Memphis front office is dubious these Grizzlies are constructed to contend for the Western Conference title, sources said. Owner Robert Para has turned basketball operations over to CEO Jason Levien.

Memphis is 22-10 and presently holding the fourth seed in the West.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns-in-trade-talks-for-rudy-gay-165005609.html;_ylt=Ai85nSH_WKgKcSQhVnDhjjq8vLYF;_ ylu=X3oDMTRrZGZzN2tzBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE 5CQSBFeHBlcnRzBHBrZwM5YzEwNzc4Yi01YWQ1LTNhOTQtOTg5 ZS01ZWQ5MjlhMzM5ODAEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaX hlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMwNjAyZmE2MS01OWI0LTExZTItOWRh Zi00YjQ3ODcwNWFhNTQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTFoNjVvZWVyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

I'm sure you've already heard about this but here's a thread for it to discuss. What are Grizzlies fans thoughts on this?

J Falk
01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
These are the two trades I see happening(plus a draft pick or 2, obviously)...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9wevw3q

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bxvbsoa

Wesley Johnson's expiring contract would definitely be a key piece in this deal. The Suns would then have to throw in another 1.5 million or so on top of Dudley and Johnsons contracts...I think the Griz will push for Morris or Marshall(both young players with potential to contribute)

I would still want 2 first round picks out of this deal...then I MIGHT be ok with trading my favorite player in the NBA

J Falk
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I honestly hope this is just a decoy in order to get more teams interested....We can get better pieces that will help us win this year...I want to do this deal:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bxvbsoa

Devin Harris is being under utilized as a Hawk. That along with the fact that we still don't have a true backup point guard leads me to believe Harris could be a realistic target. Korver is still one of the best shooters in the league and would help us there. They're both expiring contracts, so we could decide at the end of the season whether or not they're worth bringing back.

Conley/Harris/Bayless
TA/Ellington/Bayless
Korver/Pon/DA
Zbo/Speights/DA
Marc/Speights/Haddadi

I think our team could possibly get better from a deal like this. Not to mention that we'd probably get a draft pick as well.

Airevo76
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
How about this?
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=assftfm

mzgrizz
01-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I am starting to get used to the idea Rudy may leave but those bozo FO owners better leave ZBo out of these talks with other teams!!! Fair warning Pera, Levien and Hollinger !!! Yes I know Pera is the only owner of the 3 but they're all FO. Better not show their faces on Friday if they try and trade ZBo.

Hellcrooner
01-08-2013, 11:35 PM
the ****?

I DO NOT like Gay,

But trading him for such a low price is plain stupid.

Apparently ZBo is on the block too?????????????????

Wtf is going on?

This smells of Hollinger from several miles of distance.

MrfadeawayJB
01-09-2013, 01:24 AM
better leave Z-BO alone!!! I have a man crush on Dudley but he should not be the centerpiece of a rudy gay deal

king4day
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I think you guys would be better suited with Morris over Marshall. So far, Marshall's NBA career won't last past his rookie contract. He's plain awful.

That being said, no Suns fan in the forum wants to get Rudy Gay. It just sets us back in our rebuilding effort. We don't have a lot of trade chips as it is. So losing all those players on top of using up all of our cap space and we're a team fighting to get into the playoffs with no sign of being able to contend in the future.

MrfadeawayJB
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
What people don't realize is that if we trade Rudy we have 1 guy at the sf position in Quincy Pondexter (who is hurt). We could move Tony Allen there but its just a quick fix. Grizz need to get back a sf in any trade imo. I love some packages that the sixers could put up

J Falk
01-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I think Darrell Arthur can turn into a more than capable SF...I heard the Kings are interested in Rudy and would be willing to trade Tyreke to get him...

I'd be very interested in getting an ex Tiger like Tyreke..

Lloyd Christmas
01-09-2013, 11:33 PM
What people don't realize is that if we trade Rudy we have 1 guy at the sf position in Quincy Pondexter (who is hurt). We could move Tony Allen there but its just a quick fix. Grizz need to get back a sf in any trade imo. I love some packages that the sixers could put up

I know this thread is about a trade with PHX, but just curious on what Memphis fans think of the rumored deal with GS that Memphis turned down. Supposedly Barnes plus either Jefferson or Biedrins.

Would you make that trade? Do you think these other rumored trades are better? Thanks fellas.

MrfadeawayJB
01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
I like a trade with the warriors better than most offers that are out there. I would prefer Sixers, Warriors, and Raptors in that order as trade partners

mzgrizz
01-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Meh. Not so much with the dubs.

MrfadeawayJB
01-10-2013, 02:13 AM
After seeing how competitive the game was with the warriors tonight i dont want rudy going anywhere in the west. He could come back and hurt us in the playoffs :cry:

Lloyd Christmas
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the response dudes.

J Falk
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a9uhmj8

How about something like this? This would give us the 2nd best Tiger in the NBA in Tyreke(which I would love to have); not only is a great guard/forward, but something like this would give the fans even more to be excited about. This trade also gives us a true backup point guard that can drain the 3 in Brooks and a really good forward/center in Thompson. We could then move DA to small foward

Conley/Brooks/Bayless
TA/Tyreke/Ellington
Tyreke/DA/Pon
Zbo/Speights
Marc/Thompson/Haddadi

Something along those lines...

They also have Jimmer Fredette and rookie Thomas Robinson, but I have they wouldn't get rid of them 2.

mzgrizz
01-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Pera was courtside. Think he can think without his other geek buds and see what they are about to ******* up ?

cyclonw
01-11-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm sadden with all these trade rumor of Gay. I personally think its too early to trade him away. We have one of the best records in the NBA and i don't want to spoil everything. All I'm saying is if it isn't break don't fixed it. Again I would like Gay to finish the season and see how our season goes and we can revisit later in the offseason if we really need to trade him for salary cap reasons.

Personally, I think a Dudley trade plus 1st round draft picks is stupid. Dudley is a decent player and a great shooter but he should not be the center piece of the trade. and we know for the fact that we have a coach that don't trust rookies so these picks would be just a waste. Just look at where our first round draft picks now? Young, caroll, vasquez & henry. and now we have a summer league MVP in Selby, who dont even get a chance to show his skills on real NBA game.

Now if really can't wait in the offseason to trade Gay, I would rather inquire on teams in the east like Orlando for a package of Affalo and Reddick or Indiana in Paul George. In the West, I'd like Klay Thompson of Golden States or Tereke and Brooks.

bacOnSwole
01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
There are far too many Zbo fans and not enough grizzlies fans in here. If people really believe we are better team without Rudy then you know very little about basketball not is Rudy the most unguardable player on out team this team very rarely runs set plays for him unless the game is on the line yet he still leads our team in scoring. I ask the question once about which players in the nba would they trade Rudy straight up for then I ask them to review the list of players they choose the players they choose where mostly hhall of famers getting rid of rudy does nothing for our chance against the clippers or thunder why is a team like ours that is not deep in the sf position trying to trade at this position when we are very deep in the pf position with no real athletes to compete with the bigs of the clippers or thunder...puzzling if you ask me

mzgrizz
01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Trying to follow your line of thought is puzzling to me without punctuation, but I think
you are making some valid points here. The only thing is trading Rudy v trading ZBo(which is not being openly discussed anymore BTW) is not mutually inclusive. Rudy made a BIG statement last night with his overall play,except missing 2 FTs that could have iced the game in regulation. Messing with this team now is sheer stupidity and the pencil necked geeks of the majority ownership needs to get a grip.