PDA

View Full Version : The NBA's Most Overrated Players

lamzoka
01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/the-nbas-most-overrated-players

Dwight Howard heads the list. Yes, Mike DíAntoniís ill-fitting offense is partially to blame for Howardís relative invisibility with the Lakers. But Howard deserves no sympathy points for his post-surgical mediocrity. If heís well enough to play, heís well enough to be subjected to criticism. His number were good in Orlando, only because he was the Magicís featured player (except in endgames where he transformed free-throws into the heaving of bricks). As Iíve said many times before, his immaturity, limited offense, faulty defensive rotations, and miserable performances at the stripe combine to make Howard a loser.

Chris Kaman has predictable offense, lamentable defense (blocked shots is only a tiny measure of a playerís defensive effectiveness), and a great deal less athleticism than his peers. For sure, on rare occasions heíll block a shot and throw an assist pass, but his turnovers usually outnumber the combined per-game total of these positives.

Chris Bosh scores most of his points on uncontested mid-range jumpers resulting from opponentsí defenses having to key on LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. His individual defense is below par as is his passwork.

Russell Westbrook is incredibly quick (within a limited space) and fast (from coast-to-coast), but heís not suited to be the point guard on a championship-worthy. Thatís because he still overhandles, forces too many shots, often ignores Kevin Durant, is an iffy shooter from beyond the arc, and is a turnover machine. Itís remarkable how little his point-guard play has improved since he was rookie four-plus years ago. Westbrook (and the Thunder) would be better served if he was repositioned at the two-guard slot.

Roy Hibbert is weak, awkward and, despite being 7-foot-2, is short-armed whenever a game is up for grabs. His appearance in last yearís All-Star game is more indicative of the shortage of outstanding centers in the NBA than is it of Hibbertís skills.

Rajon Rondoís ornery, petulant attitude is beginning to have more of a negative effect on the old-and-in-the-way Celtics than his effectiveness on the court.

Kevin Garnett is, and always has been, a choker. Expect him to tally beaucoup points in blow-outs, to be a cheap-shot artist, and for his mouth to be bigger than his game.

Brandon Jennings has an exaggerated opinion of his own value. In truth he shoots too much and too inaccurately, and plays only for steals on the defensive end.

Monta Ellis is another high-volume shooter who canít differentiate between a good shot and a bad one. Also, his assist-to-turnover rate is only marginally acceptable.

Andrea BargnaniÖ Hold on. Does anybody in the league (except for his accountant) still retain a positive view of this guy?

Andrew Bynum will step on the court sooner or later, but chances are heíll still have the same me-first attitude as he had in LA. The only way heíll be happy in Philadelphia is if (win or lose) he becomes the teamís go-to scorer and virtually every offensive sequence goes through him.

Caron Butler had lost virtually every trace of his past mobility and become a stand-still shooter. Heís the weakest link in LACís starting lineup.

Carlos Boozer can bully smaller, weaker defenders, but is no longer a threat in the low-post and never did play acceptable defense. He also has a career-long penchant for playing poorly in the money season.

Deron Williams has apparently left his game somewhere in Salt Lake City. Without the support, definition, and protection of Jerry Sloanís highly disciplined system, and with Joe Johnson being Brooklynís fail-safe scorer in the clutch, D-Will has been shooting too many blanks. Perhaps the next time the Nets visit the Jazz (March 30), Williams can persuade the local police to issue an All-Points-Bulletin to try and find his jump shot.

I dont agree with rondo and garnett, but other than that the list is pretty accurate

hievan
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
List is incredibly biased, alot of personal shots, i agree with garnett and rondo being off base and adding that westbrooks not overrated as a player just as a point guard and has also shown improvement this year

lamzoka
01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
List is incredibly biased, alot of personal shots, i agree with garnett and rondo being off base and adding that westbrooks not overrated as a player just as a point guard and has also shown improvement this year

i honestly dont care about what he writes after the players name. but the names on the list is very accurate to me except for rondo, kg, and maybe westbrook. (only when he thinks he's the #1 option on the team)

SACNYY
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Griffin.

seikou8
01-07-2013, 07:08 PM
http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/the-nbas-most-overrated-players

Dwight Howard heads the list. Yes, Mike DíAntoniís ill-fitting offense is partially to blame for Howardís relative invisibility with the Lakers. But Howard deserves no sympathy points for his post-surgical mediocrity. If heís well enough to play, heís well enough to be subjected to criticism. His number were good in Orlando, only because he was the Magicís featured player (except in endgames where he transformed free-throws into the heaving of bricks). As Iíve said many times before, his immaturity, limited offense, faulty defensive rotations, and miserable performances at the stripe combine to make Howard a loser.

Chris Kaman has predictable offense, lamentable defense (blocked shots is only a tiny measure of a playerís defensive effectiveness), and a great deal less athleticism than his peers. For sure, on rare occasions heíll block a shot and throw an assist pass, but his turnovers usually outnumber the combined per-game total of these positives.

Chris Bosh scores most of his points on uncontested mid-range jumpers resulting from opponentsí defenses having to key on LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. His individual defense is below par as is his passwork.

Russell Westbrook is incredibly quick (within a limited space) and fast (from coast-to-coast), but heís not suited to be the point guard on a championship-worthy. Thatís because he still overhandles, forces too many shots, often ignores Kevin Durant, is an iffy shooter from beyond the arc, and is a turnover machine. Itís remarkable how little his point-guard play has improved since he was rookie four-plus years ago. Westbrook (and the Thunder) would be better served if he was repositioned at the two-guard slot.Roy Hibbert is weak, awkward and, despite being 7-foot-2, is short-armed whenever a game is up for grabs. His appearance in last yearís All-Star game is more indicative of the shortage of outstanding centers in the NBA than is it of Hibbertís skills.

Rajon Rondoís ornery, petulant attitude is beginning to have more of a negative effect on the old-and-in-the-way Celtics than his effectiveness on the court.

Kevin Garnett is, and always has been, a choker. Expect him to tally beaucoup points in blow-outs, to be a cheap-shot artist, and for his mouth to be bigger than his game.

Brandon Jennings has an exaggerated opinion of his own value. In truth he shoots too much and too inaccurately, and plays only for steals on the defensive end.

Monta Ellis is another high-volume shooter who canít differentiate between a good shot and a bad one. Also, his assist-to-turnover rate is only marginally acceptable.

Andrea BargnaniÖ Hold on. Does anybody in the league (except for his accountant) still retain a positive view of this guy?

Andrew Bynum will step on the court sooner or later, but chances are heíll still have the same me-first attitude as he had in LA. The only way heíll be happy in Philadelphia is if (win or lose) he becomes the teamís go-to scorer and virtually every offensive sequence goes through him.

Caron Butler had lost virtually every trace of his past mobility and become a stand-still shooter. Heís the weakest link in LACís starting lineup.

Carlos Boozer can bully smaller, weaker defenders, but is no longer a threat in the low-post and never did play acceptable defense. He also has a career-long penchant for playing poorly in the money season.

Deron Williams has apparently left his game somewhere in Salt Lake City. Without the support, definition, and protection of Jerry Sloanís highly disciplined system, and with Joe Johnson being Brooklynís fail-safe scorer in the clutch, D-Will has been shooting too many blanks. Perhaps the next time the Nets visit the Jazz (March 30), Williams can persuade the local police to issue an All-Points-Bulletin to try and find his jump shot.

I dont agree with rondo and garnett, but other than that the list is pretty accurate

:mad::mad::mad::facepalm:

allSUAVE
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
And PSD says Melo ..smh

Chronz
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Anyone care to refute any claims or will this become another bash fest?

lamzoka
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
im actually mad that Joe Johnson is not on the top of the list.

b_russ
01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Like someone said on hoopshype, who talks about Chris Kaman?

Sactown
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Westbrook and company made it to the finals and are currently front runners in the west.... Hard to call him incapable of winning a championship at the one considering he's been so close... Also he's so ball dominant changing him to the SG position probably would affect his game much.

Also Chris Bosh did fairly well prior to being part of the big 3 and his numbers clearly show that...

Kg has always become less affective during the playoffs, but he played a significant role during his championship run so its hard to call him a loser...

Well he got Ellis right and BJ too

But It's ridiculous to say Caron, Kamen overrated as they weren't rated that high currently in there careers anyhow.. hibbert has had a bad season and Carlos Boozer is what everyone thought he was anyhow..

Not a very good list considering outside of KG none of these guys were ranked to be shoe in HOFers

Hickenlooper
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Dwight Howard. Since he came into the league.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
The Bosh one is a bit confusing.

He shouldnt be considered overrated because he has two superior players getting him open shots.

dalton749
01-08-2013, 10:57 AM
bosh has proved he can do it by himself but with two better players hes not asked to carry the offensive load. hes capable of more than hes doing now but hes playing into their system.

Corey
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Don't agree about KG, Bosh or Westbrook.

SteBO
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
The Bosh viewpoint is way too vague for me to take seriously.

The Westbrook viewpoint is interesting, but I have a hard time buying into the fact that OKC is better served in the SG slot after the strides he's made in terms of passing and running the offense this year. The #s show that, and most importantly, they're winning.

The KG viewpoint simply makes no sense to me.

I didn't even know Kaman was rated. I've never heard any sort of analysis of Chris Kaman for years now.

I understand what he's getting with Rondo, but overrated? Not seeing it. Though he does have an annoying habit I'm sure to BOS fans of only showing up against the better teams.

BALLER R
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Bosh isn't overrated.
Westbrook isn't either.

2-ONE-5
01-08-2013, 01:06 PM
how in the world is Westbrook on this list and Joe Johnson not?

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Melo, Joe J, Griffin

ATL#22
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Carmelo

SLY WILLIAMS
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Put 7-9 of those "most over rated guys" together on a team and you might possibly play in some championships.

Dwight Howard/Bynum if healthy as backup
Chris Bosh/Boozer as backup
Caron Butler
Monta Ellis/Russell Westbrook
Rajon Rondo/Deron Williams as backup

Max.This
01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Who's fault is it when a player is overrated? People need to stop acting like it's the player's fault

ThaDubs
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Rudy Gay.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Who's fault is it when a player is overrated? People need to stop acting like it's the player's fault

That is actually a very good point. Being over rated or under rated is often more about fans/media perception than the player.

GeekInThePink
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Why is Andrea Bargnani on the overrated list? Everyone knows exactly what he is, positive and negatives. I have not once heard someone say this year that Andrea Bargnani was any good, at all.

Jarvo
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Everyone who holds a player like "god" on PSD

Fired-Up
01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
1. Dwight Howard- This is easy. He has like 2 moves. Dunk and dunk with aggression

2. Russell Westbrook- Self Explanatory

3. Kobe Bryant- 3rd best player of his generation. How anyone would put him above Duncan and Shaq just boggles my mind. Just flat out boggles it.

diu9leilomo
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
lol bargnarni only overrated by his beloved GM, everyone else knows he sucks

blahblahyoutoo
01-08-2013, 03:17 PM
agree with dwight being overrated.

highly disagree with bosh and westbrook.

Minimal
01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Wheres Jeremy Lin and Blake Griffin? WTF?

ManRam
01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
What a terribly written article....

Dwight is playing poorly this year, and most people are aware of that. Does that make him overrated? I don't think so. Nothing he ever did in Orlando suggests he was ever overrated. The fact that people are saying "he has two moves, dunk and dunk with aggression" kinda prove my point. That's amazingly false.

SteBO
01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
What a terribly written article....

Dwight is playing poorly this year, and most people are aware of that. Does that make him overrated? I don't think so. Nothing he ever did in Orlando suggests he was ever overrated. The fact that people are saying "he has two moves, dunk and dunk with aggression" kinda prove my point. That's amazingly false.
I can actually see where the article is going in spots, but it's horribly written because it's so one-sided. But these articles beg for attention, and what's sad is that they actually get it. Unfortunately we live in a society where "stupid" is what gets people so up in arms, due to an urge to complain about something. It is what it is....

jmoney85
01-08-2013, 03:36 PM
why would joe johnson be overrated?... overpaid? maybe ... overrated? no... he's never talked about or hyped so how could he be overrated?

lamzoka
01-08-2013, 03:46 PM
why would joe johnson be overrated?... overpaid? maybe ... overrated? no... he's never talked about or hyped so how could he be overrated?

You're overrated when you're overpaid. they go hand-in hand

jmoney85
01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
You're overrated when you're overpaid. they go hand-in hand

no they don't

lamzoka
01-08-2013, 03:52 PM
yes they do

jmoney85
01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
yes they do

explain

D-Leethal
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM

All we heard this off season was 'best backcourt in the NBA'

Cromedome
01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
John Wall is overrated.

lamzoka
01-08-2013, 04:04 PM
he should've just told KG ur wife taste like regular cheerios. lol

2-ONE-5
01-08-2013, 04:06 PM
no they don't

how dont they? if you are paid like a suepr star and not performing like one that makes you overrated.

lamzoka
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
no they don't

the only reason why you're overpaid is because you're overrated. its just logic

JordansBulls
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
How is Dwight Howard overrated? He was able to lead his team to the finals beating the defending champs the best player in the league despite having an inferior team.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Anyone care to refute any claims or will this become another bash fest?

Rosen has always had a distaste for Garnett, I disagree with him here. Hell, KG is the main reason the C's were a force last year, and he is still their most important player. I don't even think he gave a decent response for his Bosh pick, so I disagree with that one, and I disagree with his view on Westbrook as well. The rest I have no problem with honestly. Rondo, to me, has become one of the more overrated players in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
How is Dwight Howard overrated? He was able to lead his team to the finals beating the defending champs the best player in the league despite having an inferior team.

he is obviously speaking about this season only

Hawkeye15
01-08-2013, 04:43 PM

do you know how many times I have had to refute arguments where people tried to tell me JJ was a superstar who carried his team to the playoffs every year?

Big Zo
01-08-2013, 04:44 PM
he should've just told KG ur wife taste like regular cheerios. lol

That would have been an even bigger insult. Regular Cheerios taste like what I would imagine inside-out *** tastes like.

jmoney85
01-08-2013, 04:45 PM
how dont they? if you are paid like a suepr star and not performing like one that makes you overrated.

just because one dumb owner paid him doesn't mean hes overrated.... hence why he's not on that list

BHF
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Jose Calderon has to be on that list he makes his team worse with him on the floor and yet people call him a floor general and the best backup pg in the league his facial expressions fool a lot of people thinking he plays hard

TopsyTurvy
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
yes they do

Here's an interesting list:

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-overpaid-nba-players-2012-11?op=1

To determine the most overpaid player on each team, we divided each player's player efficiency rating (PER) last season by their salary.

Salary per point of PER in 2012: (the big offenders)

Josh Smith
Paul Pierce
Joe Johnson
DeSagana Diop
Luol Deng
Luke Walton
Dirk Nowitzki
Andre Iguodala
Corey Maggette
Andris Biedrins
Omer Asik
Roy Hibbert
Lamar Odom
Kobe Bryant
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh
Monta Ellis
Andrei Kirilenko
Eric Gordon
Amar'e Stoudemire
Kendrick Perkins
Hedo Turkoglu
Andrew Bynum
Michael Beasley
Nicolas Batum
John Salmons
Stephen Jackson
Jose Calderon
Al Jefferson
Emeka Okafor

I don't think there are as many "overrated" players on that list as there are "overpaid" players.

ManRam
01-08-2013, 04:52 PM
he is obviously speaking about this season only

That's the thing. Is anyone acting like he's playing like a top 3-5 center this year? No. I think most every understands what level Dwight has been playing at this season....

It's hard to judge "ratedness" without an accurate gauge of what the common perception is. I think that's where a lot of problems with people claiming so-and-so is over or underrated. And I think Rosen had some problems with that big time in this article.

As for the overpaid=overrated argument...I don't buy it. A GM overpaying someone doesn't outweigh public perception. Overpaid=overpaid.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
That's the thing. Is anyone acting like he's playing like a top 3-5 center this year? No. I think most every understands what level Dwight has been playing at this season....

It's hard to judge "ratedness" without an accurate gauge of what the common perception is. I think that's where a lot of problems with people claiming so-and-so is over or underrated. And I think Rosen had some problems with that big time in this article.

I agree to an extent, but Dwight is leading the all star voting at center, and is in every other article on every basketball sports site. Rosen is gauging current Dwight against Dwight from a year or two ago, and in that sense, he is overrated. But many intelligent fans are not going to label him the best center right now, but I can promise you the casual fan still does.

Rosen is archaic to me. He never uses anything but his eye test and personal opinions when writing articles from what I can tell. So I have rarely agreed with him anyways.

I think his Dwight mention may have to do with him being annoyed at Dwight owning the media for over a year now...

Hawkeye15
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
As for the overpaid=overrated argument...I don't buy it. A GM overpaying someone doesn't outweigh public perception. Overpaid=overpaid.

for sure. Is a player like JJ supposed to look at a deal and say, "oh no man, I am not worth $120 million, back that down some"?

jmoney85
01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
do you know how many times I have had to refute arguments where people tried to tell me JJ was a superstar who carried his team to the playoffs every year?

when the hell was that? lol

blahblahyoutoo
01-08-2013, 05:11 PM
no they don't

yeah, it sorta does.
they were overrated by the GM/owner who decided to overpay.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2013, 05:14 PM
when the hell was that? lol

man, its been various posters, from different fan bases. Trust me, outside you know who, nobody in the Nets fan base is claiming JJ is even an all star caliber player this season, and I think that has widely been accepted now, so he shouldn't be on the overrated lists. Overpaid? Sure.

NickyNick
01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
this article is so bad, just look at the comments....why was this made into a thread?

tp13baby
01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Westbrook isn't overrated. That team without him isn't that scary. KG isn't overrated. We all know his skills have diminished but he still contributes. Bosh would be a stud if he was a 1-2 option. He is just playing his role. Overrated Griffin, Iggy, Tyson Chandler, Joe Johnson.

cleptopot
01-08-2013, 06:13 PM
The description on Monta makes no sense and is just wrong :facepalm:

heyman321
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
They're missing Wade.