PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the first european Main Coach in the nba?

Hellcrooner
01-07-2013, 11:37 AM
I was thinking that at the moment European coaches have only gotten job as assistants.

Then i thought that basically 90% of nba coaches have been Nba Players before.

Ok, we have had quite a few European Players on the league for the last 20 years, so many of them know the league and may want to try coaching.

So what do you think happens first?

Ex nba player becomes coach.
European coach big name is awarded a main Coach gig.
European coach enters as assistant and later is promoted to Coach.

Wich player do you see being it? I say Kukoc has a great basketball mind and could do the job.

asandhu23
01-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Ricky Rubio

Hellcrooner
01-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Ricky Rubio

lol, considering there must be already like 50 retired euros and another 50 will retire before him ill say thats unlikely.:p

VANEXEL9
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
American born and raised who is also Israeli, won the European title with Russia, the EuroCup with Dinamo St. Petersburg, the italian league and 2 israeli championships and state cups.

He will be the first.

haggis
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Have you actually met Toni Kukoc?

He wouldn't last a minute if you took him away from his golf, cigarettes, and booze right now.

No way he would ever want to coach.

mjt20mik
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Sabonis could be a big man coach. Head coaches, I would have gone with Messina

DallasTrilla23
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Mike D'Antoni was a European head coach

Hellcrooner
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
American born and raised who is also Israeli, won the European title with Russia, the EuroCup with Dinamo St. Petersburg, the italian league and 2 israeli championships and state cups.

He will be the first.

excludes him from the question, and im indeed surprised he hasnt been required yet by some team, or even team usa since K is not coming back.

mjt20mik
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Forgot to add Zeljko Obradovic. He's a straight out beast.

Freakazoid
01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
I was thinking that at the moment European coaches have only gotten job as assistants.

Then i thought that basically 90% of nba coaches have been Nba Players before.

Ok, we have had quite a few European Players on the league for the last 20 years, so many of them know the league and may want to try coaching.

So what do you think happens first?

Ex nba player becomes coach.
European coach big name is awarded a main Coach gig.
European coach enters as assistant and later is promoted to Coach.

Wich player do you see being it? I say Kukoc has a great basketball mind and could do the job.

Mike D is pretty much the first European coach unless you discount the fact that he was born in America.

But maybe Ettore Messina or Aíto should they ever decide to join the NBA. As for player-coaches, maybe Jose Calderon.

VANEXEL9
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Forgot to add Zeljko Obradovic. He's a straight out beast.

Obradovic is the best in outside of the NBA, however, he will not be interested nor fit in the NBA.
He is more of a high school coach, he yells at the players, and controls them with an iron fist, and that will not work in the NBA.

He is tailor made for slow paced, euro ball.

scaramantula
01-07-2013, 12:36 PM
wheres the option for never going to happen?

Hellcrooner
01-07-2013, 12:48 PM
wheres the option for never going to happen?

on a 1981 thread in wich people also assured that european players would never be more than bench scrubs in the nba.

JiffyMix88
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Why does it matter if you can coach you can coach.

If there hasn't been one yet probably cause we already have better HCs in the NBA and better options for present HC replacements here.

Ty_Lawson
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Mensur Bajramovic and Sabit Hadzic 8)