PDA

View Full Version : Most underappreciated guys in the league

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Simple question, who do you think are some of the most under-appreciated guys in the league? Coudl be a all-star, or guy coming off the bench.

Last season I would have said CP3. He was the MVP in my eyees, and most guys had him finished third in the MVP race behind Durant and LBJ, but I think the turnaround he brought to the Clippers was absolutely amazing. Nash did a simalar job in Phoenix and was awarded with back-to-back MVP award, but when Kidd did it in NJ, he lost the award, and when CP3 did it in LAC, he also lost the award. LBJ was deseving, don't get me wrong, but I really think people failed to appreciate what CP3 did for hte Clippers.

As for fringe All-Star players, I gotta go with Rudy Gay. I remember last season in the playoffs, the Grizzlies were down by 8 or 9, and Gay hit back to bakc 3-pointers witha guy in his face to bring the game to within a basket. the third one he missed and I remember the commentators going on about how he 'failed' in the clutch, and I'm like: What? The dude just hit two huge 3-pointers in the clutch! He scored 6 points in a matter of seconds, and then he missed a forced shot with defenders on him and he 'failed'? He brings so much to that Grizzlies team, and the fact that he is on the trading block and has failed to make an All-Star game seem to suggest to me that a great number of people fail to appreciate what he brings to the game, as a scorer, ad leader and great all-around player.

As for guys coming off the bench, there are a few I like. I think Reggie Evans is one. I'm surprised more teams didn't chase after him in the off-season and that the Clippers didn't try to keep him. He is a great hustle player, and though limited in certain aspect of his game, he is a great rebounder and hard worker.

I'd like to say that Andre Drummond is under-appreciated at this point, but I think it is soley Lawrence Frank who under-appreciates him at this point. Eveyrbody other than his coach seems to think he should be getting more minutes.

I think there are a few other guys as well. Boozer right now is palying very well, and while he may not be earnign every dollar of that pay check, I think, considering that people are always talking about amnestying him, that people fail to realize what he brings to his team in terms of rebounding and consistent option on offence.

Who do you think deserves more love?

GunFactor187
01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Greg Monroe.

Gators123
01-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Al Horford

mightybosstone
01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Rudy Gay? Seriously, dude? I would address this in more detail, but I'm just going to copy and paste something I wrote in another thread:

You could argue Gay's scoring, as he's one of only 18 players in the NBA averaging 18 points per game. But did you know that his .409 FG% is by far the worst of those 18 players? And his awful 3-point percentage and lack of production on the free throw line don't make him any more efficient. His .487 TS% this season is beyond atrocious. To put it in perspective, I've ripped Tyreke Evans as maybe the most overrated player in the whole league over the last few seasons because of his inefficiency, but his career TS% is .511 and his career worst was .482. Gay's 15.3 PER and .106 WS/48 are basically average numbers.
So, no, Gay is nowhere close to being underappreciated. However, if you want to talk about underappreciated guys on the Grizzlies, I think both Marc Gasol and Mike Conley deserve some major credit. Gasol might be the best passing big man and the best all around center in the NBA right now. And Conley is well above average but gets treated like a below average starting point guard by most fans.

As far as the rest of the league, I always think Paul Millsap is crazy underrated. He's one of the most versatile big men in the NBA and should have been an all-star a season ago. David Lee is most definitely making a case for himself this year with how good he's been and how well the Warriors are playing. I also think Al Horford doesn't get nearly enough credit. People praise Josh Smith, but Horford is the best player in Atlanta.

sep11ie
01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Minnesota deserves more Love.

ManRam
01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Rudy Gay's bank account certainly suggests that he's overrated if anything.

He's not an All-Star caliber player.

LJEATON26
01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Nick Collison and Thabo Sefolosha on the Thunder.

SlimKid
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Jrue Holiday

lakers4sho
01-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Kobe

mike44
01-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Al horford

tredigs
01-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Tim Duncan. All day, every day.

SACNYY
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Duncan

heyman321
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
/dirk

faze38
01-05-2013, 02:16 PM
David Lee he doesn't get half the love he deserves the man is a double double machine. I mean I bet if he wasn't an ex knick tho he would get a lot more love. Lee is killing this year even tho it's not his best year it's one of his best and i'm glad that he finally got the running mate he needed. The Warriors got the team I wanted us to build in NY but hey i'm not to upset with what we have now either.

MELO 15
01-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Jr Smith, this guy is playing mature basketball, and is finally taking advantage of his athletic gift. One of the big reasons why the knicks are doing so well. He should be considered for an allstsar selection this year.

faze38
01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Tim Duncan. All day, every day.

What the man is considered the greatest PF of all-time how much more credit does he need!

SACNYY
01-05-2013, 02:18 PM
David Lee

Aleksandar
01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Marc Gasol is probably underappreciated. He may be the best center in the league. Noah too.

CavsYanksDuke
01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Carlos Boozer has played extremely well thus far this year without D. Rose. He is the reason they are winning games without him.

MELO 15
01-05-2013, 02:32 PM
What the man is considered the greatest PF of all-time how much more credit does he need!

He only needs credit from those who dont understand the game of basketball. He shouldn'teven be mentioned because he has been doing this from the jump, ever since he entered the league. He is a hall of famer. Now if u look at my post of Jr Smith, that is a guy who deserves recognition this year

Patrick Ewing33
01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Jr

denverfan66
01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Andre Miller isn't given his fair due. Last game he became the 8th player with 15000 points and 7500 assists. The others that did that are Magic, Kidd, Nash, Payton, Oscar, Stockton, and Isiah. To think that the guy never made an all-star game.

kylem4711
01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Cp3

Wisdom Listens
01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Nikola "Non" Pekovic

gwrighter
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Calderon.

RyanStorm
01-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I nominate Jazz as a whole!

faze38
01-05-2013, 03:37 PM
He only needs credit from those who dont understand the game of basketball. He shouldn'teven be mentioned because he has been doing this from the jump, ever since he entered the league. He is a hall of famer. Now if u look at my post of Jr Smith, that is a guy who deserves recognition this year

Man I'm a JR fan myself but to me he has to earn being on this list. He is playing out of his mind right now if he does it for the full season I agree but until then this might just be another JR run that can collapse at any moment.

ChickenSouvlaki
01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Andre Miller isn't given his fair due. Last game he became the 8th player with 15000 points and 7500 assists. The others that did that are Magic, Kidd, Nash, Payton, Oscar, Stockton, and Isiah. To think that the guy never made an all-star game.

Good one forgot about him

WAYNEBO
01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
The Nets' 3 Stooges. They deserve more attention.

SACNYY
01-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Alexey Shved. Guy is great.

mvb815
01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Rudy Gay's bank account certainly suggests that he's overrated if anything.

He's not an All-Star caliber player.

yes he's overpaid but to say he isn't all-star caliber?

i'd hate to have you as a coach

andre miller and will bynum

Andrew32
01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Wade - This guy is averaging 21 / 5 / 5 on 51% shooting with ever improving defense in 33mpg.

People act like this guy fell of the planet and is a scrub now when in reality he is a Top 7-8 player this year.
He is much more important to the Heat's success then people think.

Chandler - Great defensive anchor who uses his athletic ability to regularly put down 15-20pt games.
He is perhaps my favorite Knick and someone under-appreciated.
I thought he might get lazy after we gave him a big contract but he has been putting in the effort and I see that.

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 06:40 PM

He is considered the greatest PF of all time, but at the same time he is considered by few to be as good as Kobe, despite the fact that he's lead his team to the final four times and won each time, and despite the fact that he has helped his to to a 50+ win season every year he's been wearing that jersey (with the exception of the strike shortened seasn of 99, in which they won the title).

Today, right now, people hardly mention his name when they are talking about the best PFs in the game, but he remains the best forward today, despite his age, because he still rebounds as well as ever and is still the best defensive player at his position. Any team in this league would be better if they had Tim Duncan as their starting PF instead of whoever they happen to have.

So yeah, even though people will rank him high all-time, they never seem to respect what he's currently doing as a player. People say Kobe is the best player of the past 15 seasons, but it could easily be said that Duncan is, and LBJ gets universal praise as the best player on the planet, but Duncan can bring as much impact to a game as LBJ.

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Rudy Gay? Seriously, dude? I would address this in more detail, but I'm just going to copy and paste something I wrote in another thread:

So, no, Gay is nowhere close to being underappreciated.

You have very valid points, and if these were career averages, I would be inclined to agree with you. But this is not how Gay has played throughout his career... he is having a slow start to the year, much as Melo did last year, but his career numbers suggest that he is a better scorer than the current season would suggest. He's still a solid rebounder for his position, and put the work in on the defensive end.

I do agree about the other guys you mention. Your observations in each instance are spot on.

benzni
01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Marc Gasol
Josh Smith
Chandler Parsons

hail2skins4life
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
David Lee

/thread

lol, please
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
David Lee.

Jesse2272
01-05-2013, 10:39 PM
JR Smith

IndyRealist
01-06-2013, 01:09 AM
If Andre Miller if ever got a ring he'd probably be in the HoF. He's suffered from playing on teams that just imploded.

Chris Paul derserves more attention as an MVP candidate.

Tyson Chandler is a huge part of why New York is winning, but Melo gets all the credit.

Mike Conley is probably the most unassuming star PG in the league. He's a solid shooter, solid passer, and plays great D. He's pretty much good to great at everything.

Jose Calderon. Seriously, can Toronto go ONE season without trying to trade him?

But my pick is Manu Ginobili. He's been one of the best SG's in the league for a decade. Yet people consistently leave him out of top 5 conversations. He goes deep into the playoffs almost every year, plays international basketball almost every year, and is one of the few truly unguardable players in the NBA. Aside from Kobe and Wade, I can't think of any SG better in the last 10 years. Not Rip, not Ray, not Redd, Iggy, Monta, Joe Johnson, Kevin Martin, Jason Richardson, or Jason Terry. This year, I'd take him over any SG other than Harden or maybe Kobe.

Kashmir13579
01-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Spurs

Jesse2272
01-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Spurs

Ginóbili fan boy

:D

Sportfan
01-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Homer, but Jared Sullinger is playing fantastic ball after a slow start If he wouldn't get call for every damn foul so he could play more I'd say there's a chance he could make the all rookie team. Really good rebounder and his defensive points per possession (synergy) is .71, 16th in the league! Very underrated at the moment

ManRam
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
yes he's overpaid but to say he isn't all-star caliber?

i'd hate to have you as a coach

andre miller and will bynum

I'd hate for you to have me be a coach...I'd be terrible at it!

But, it's not hard to judge how good players are. This season he hasn't been an AS caliber player :shrug:

LeBron, KD, Melo, Pierce, Faried, Batum, Smoove, Thad, Danilo, Paul George and MKG have all bee better than him at the SF position this year (a few might be pushes, like MKG, but it's close). Is the 9-12th best SF really an All-Star caliber player? Nah.

If we're just talking forwards in general, well, there are about 15-20 power forwards having better seasons than Gay.

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Kobe

seikou8
01-06-2013, 04:22 PM
russel westbrook

*Superman*
01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Mike James.

rocket
01-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Greg Monroe

lakers4sho
01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Peter john ramos

Jarvo
01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
TIM DUNCAN, TONY PARKER, MANU
Greg Monroe
Al Jefferson
Paul Milsap
Monta Ellis
Jrue Holiday
Andre Iguodala
Ty Lawson
Andre Miller
David Lee
Stephen Curry
Kevin Love
Rondo *on here to say he's not even close on CP3 level is ****ing insane*
Wade *I bet you'll take him on your team*
Z-Bo
Marc Gasol
Mike Conley Jr

Jarvo
01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Spurs

Damn right! :clap:

xxplayerxx23
01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Rondo is not anywhere near cp3 ^

Jarvo
01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Rondo is not anywhere near cp3 ^

That's why I never have or never will smoke.

CaptainClutch
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Duncan

ManRam
01-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Uh...saying Rondo is on CP3's level is about one of the most egregious forms of overrating a player there is. If you have that opinion you are "overappreciating" him more than anyone is "underappreciating" him.

Jarvo
01-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Uh...saying Rondo is on CP3's level is about one of the most egregious forms of overrating a player there is. If you have that opinion you are "overappreciating" him more than anyone is "underappreciating" him.

All I'm saying all Rondo has to do is be better at scoring and that's all CP3 has on him, But to each his own :shrug:

Alayla
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Greg Monroe
Al Jefferson
Paul Milsap
Monta Ellis
Jrue Holiday
Andre Iguodala
Ty Lawson
Andre Miller
David Lee
Stephen Curry
Kevin Love
Z-Bo
Marc Gasol
Mike Conley Jr

He isn't anywhere close to the level of CP3 its not Insane Its simply fact.

Alayla
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Greg Monroe
Al Jefferson
Paul Milsap
Monta Ellis
Jrue Holiday
Andre Iguodala
Ty Lawson
Andre Miller
David Lee
Stephen Curry
Kevin Love
Z-Bo
Marc Gasol
Mike Conley Jr

Surely you mean overapperceated right? Ellis may very well be the most overrated player at his postion

SLY WILLIAMS
01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Jr Smith, this guy is playing mature basketball, and is finally taking advantage of his athletic gift. One of the big reasons why the knicks are doing so well. He should be considered for an allstsar selection this year.

I would agree with this only based on the last 12 months or so. In the past I would not have said his name but I think that trip to China or something else really changed his mindset a bit. That doesn't mean he is totally changed. Just much improved and deserves some positive recognition for that.

D-Leethal
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Jason Kidd. He is a walking intangible.

b@llhog24
01-06-2013, 07:29 PM
If Andre Miller if ever got a ring he'd probably be in the HoF. He's suffered from playing on teams that just imploded.

Chris Paul derserves more attention as an MVP candidate.

Tyson Chandler is a huge part of why New York is winning, but Melo gets all the credit.

Mike Conley is probably the most unassuming star PG in the league. He's a solid shooter, solid passer, and plays great D. He's pretty much good to great at everything.

Jose Calderon. Seriously, can Toronto go ONE season without trying to trade him?

But my pick is Manu Ginobili. He's been one of the best SG's in the league for a decade. Yet people consistently leave him out of top 5 conversations. He goes deep into the playoffs almost every year, plays international basketball almost every year, and is one of the few truly unguardable players in the NBA. Aside from Kobe and Wade, I can't think of any SG better in the last 10 years. Not Rip, not Ray, not Redd, Iggy, Monta, Joe Johnson, Kevin Martin, Jason Richardson, or Jason Terry. This year, I'd take him over any SG other than Harden or maybe Kobe.

Best post in this entire thread. :clap:

Lab Rat Robby
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
david lee, josh smith, al jefferson, lemarcus aldridge, tony parker, and joakim noah. possibly in that order. i'm going off my fantasy draft efficiency homework, so it's a little outta date. still those names all jump out. bosh and boozer don't jump out screaming, but looking over the my homework, they deserve a mention too.

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Definitely David Lee. He's the only guy in the league average 20 and 10 (well technically he's averaging 19.9 points after yesterday but it will even out by the next game).

Wolfman01
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I would say that Al Jefferson is one of the under appreciated guy in the NBA. The guy is a consistent player every year and hes also one of the better post up players too. Yet the guy haven't got a all star nod.