PDA

View Full Version : Line of the night: Jan. 4th

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
The Clippers continued their winning way with a win over the Lakers, despite the fact that Kobe scored a game-high 38 points and that Howard grabbed a game high 15 rebounds. Pau Gasol was benched in the fourth quarter again. LBJ chipped in 30 points for the Heat last night, but it was not enough to beat the surging Bulls who got a big night from Carlos Boozer. The Nets needed double-overtime to do it, but they came away with a win over the Wizards. DMC pull out the third 30/20 game of the season as the Kings rolled past the Raptors. The Jazz beat the Suns behind a solid performance form Paul Millsap. The Thunder rolled past the 76ers. James Harden lead the Rockets past the Bucks. Portland came away with a close win over the Grizzlies, while Detroit also won a close game against the Hawks, winning by a single point. Triston Thompson and Kyrie Irving both had big nights as the Cavs beat the Bobcats in a battle of the cellar dwellers. And the Pacers fell to the Celtics who saw Kevin Garnett get ejected from the game afer a flagrant foul.

I think DMC is the obvious choice this time around.

AnthonyTyrael
01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
You're right Sir.

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah... I probably should have had only two options for this poll:
1. DMC
2. Obligitory homer vote.

mightybosstone
01-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Sorry, but I disagree with you guys on this one. I think opponent should matter play a role in these polls and I'm not exactly impressed by Cousins getting 20 rebounds against a Raptors team starting Aaron freakin Gray at center. I AM impressed by Paul putting up 30, 13 and 6 against the Lakers in a split Staples Center in front of a national audience. Paul got my vote and Harden was a close second (probably more of a homer vote).

tredigs
01-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Best game yesterday was from Kyrie: 33/5/6 w/ 3 steals and 4 blocks, including the game winning pull up.

mightybosstone
01-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Best game yesterday was from Kyrie: 33/5/6 w/ 3 steals and 4 blocks, including the game winning pull up.

Against the Bobcats...

tredigs
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Against the Bobcats...

Yes, and he is on the Cavs...

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Sorry, but I disagree with you guys on this one. I think opponent should matter play a role in these polls and I'm not exactly impressed by Cousins getting 20 rebounds against a Raptors team starting Aaron freakin Gray at center. I AM impressed by Paul putting up 30, 13 and 6 against the Lakers in a split Staples Center in front of a national audience. Paul got my vote and Harden was a close second (probably more of a homer vote).

I can get behind this. I still go with Cousins, but I think your assessment is a fair and reasonable one.

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Against the Bobcats...

Yes, it was against the Bobcats, but he was playing against Kemba Walker (and Ramon Sessions). Irving and Walker are both great young PGs, and Sessions is a quality PG inthe league so it is an interesting match up, and still impressive for Irving.

CP3 on the other hand, though playing the "Lakers" was playing against Nash, a 38-year old Nash, who has never been known for defence.

So I think in context, it could be argued that Irving's game was as impressive as CP3's game, especially considering his defensive stats, and the individual match-up each guy had. Irving scored more points with fewer shots and posted better defensive stats, but CP3 got more assists and fewer turnovers. A case could be made for each player here.

mightybosstone
01-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes, it was against the Bobcats, but he was playing against Kemba Walker. Both players are great young PGs, so it is an interesting matching, and still impressive for Irving.

CP3 on the other hand, though playing the "Lakers" was playing against Nash, a 38-year old Nash, who has never been known for defence.

So I think in context, it could be argued that Irving's game was as impressive as CP3's game, especially considering his defensive stats, and the individual match-up each guy had. Irving scored more points with fewer shots and posted better defensive stats, but CP3 got more assists and fewer turnovers. A case could be made for each player here.

Yeah, but Nash wasn't guarding Paul for most of the game. At least the portions of the game I watched, Meeks or Bryant were on him the majority of the time.

tredigs
01-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but Nash wasn't guarding Paul for most of the game. At least the portions of the game I watched, Meeks or Bryant were on him the majority of the time.

This Kobe on D? Even easier.

In all seriousness, Paul's game was great, but I was more impressed by Kyrie. I watched nearly all of both games (yes I watched a Cats/Cavs game, I wanted to see Kemba/Irving, don't judge me) and Irving was staying involved on both ends tremendously well. A point having 3 stls and 4 blks isn't normal, especially for him, and it was the most impressive part of his line for me. Tack on 33/4/6 and an ultra clutch game winner for your struggling team? You got me.

tredigs
01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
For what it's worth, according to 'basketballmonster', from a fantasy basketball perspective (standard 9 cat), it was Kyrie Irving by a wide margin. Followed by Kobe, James Harden, Marc Gasol then Cp3. Cousins was down there tied with Bradley Beal.

mightybosstone
01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
This Kobe on D? Even easier.

In all seriousness, Paul's game was great, but I was more impressed by Kyrie. I watched nearly all of both games (yes I watched a Cats/Cavs game, I wanted to see Kemba/Irving, don't judge me) and Irving was staying involved on both ends tremendously well. A point having 3 stls and 4 blks isn't normal, especially for him, and it was the most impressive part of his line for me. Tack on 33/4/6 and an ultra clutch game winner for your struggling team? You got me.

Yeah, but consider the pressure of both games. Paul is playing in Staples Center with a split crowd, but it's still a place where Kobe has dominated the league for the better part of two decades. Everyone keeps waiting for this Clippers team to fail and for the Lakers to wake up and in front of a national audience a quarter of the way through the season, last night was the perfect chance for that to happen. But it didn't, and Paul was phenomenal all night long. His distribution and ball handling was a thing of beauty last night.

I'm not doubting that Irving had a great game, but what pressure is he under? He's playing for a cellar dweller against another cellar dweller. Even with the East being significantly weaker than the West, the chances of the Cavs waking up and somehow sneaking into the playoffs is extremely unlikely. And you were probably one of like three people who actually watched that game on television last night.

uncleben989
01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
cousins is a beast, he made me a fan after destroying us yesterday

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 12:43 PM

That does change things a little. Kobe has a size advantage over CP3, so the fact he managed to score that much is a little more impressive. I obviously didn't watch the game (I was at the theatre watching Django Unchained for a second time... great movie). Also didn't see the Cavs game, but guessing from Walker's limited minutes and Seesions heavy minutes, there was something keeping Walker out of the game. But irvign lit it up for 16 points in the fourth!

Both great games though. Still.. i gotta go with DMC.

effen5
01-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Dear god dmc

Ezio
01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Boozer simply because he does not show up against elite teams.

tredigs
01-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah, but consider the pressure of both games. Paul is playing in Staples Center with a split crowd, but it's still a place where Kobe has dominated the league for the better part of two decades. Everyone keeps waiting for this Clippers team to fail and for the Lakers to wake up and in front of a national audience a quarter of the way through the season, last night was the perfect chance for that to happen. But it didn't, and Paul was phenomenal all night long. His distribution and ball handling was a thing of beauty last night.

I'm not doubting that Irving had a great game, but what pressure is he under? He's playing for a cellar dweller against another cellar dweller. Even with the East being significantly weaker than the West, the chances of the Cavs waking up and somehow sneaking into the playoffs is extremely unlikely. And you were probably one of like three people who actually watched that game on television last night.

I can respect that stance, but Cp3's a maestro, no pressure to a pimp. It was all on the Lakers anyway; Clips are already seen as over-performers.

Irving's under the pressure of trying to turn around a losing season in which he's missed the bulk of, and looked to as the savior of a franchise that had its heart ripped out, while having to live in the shadow of one of the greatest players of all time. Pressure's on him every game, and other than Cp3 he may be the most calm/cool/collected in tight 4th quarter games. It's when he begins to really do his scoring as well. Really similar players in a lot of ways - Irving just being the more aggressive of the two.

Side note of his game: 16 points in the 4th quarter including the game winner: Rest of the Cavs: 1-10.

In other words, he won the game by himself.

Jesse2272
01-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Kyrie needs to be in the allstar game

Jesse2272
01-06-2013, 12:23 AM
I can respect that stance, but Cp3's a maestro, no pressure to a pimp. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPeUMIIFi2A

yes sir

Raps08-09 Champ
01-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Cousins.