PDA

View Full Version : Royce White: It is very likely that I never play in the NBA.

Pages : [1] 2

JNoel
01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
The Houston Chronicle

With no end to his impasse with the Rockets in sight, rookie Royce White said it is very likely that he never plays in the NBA, citing a lack of league-wide protocol for dealing with mental health issues including his anxiety disorder.

“I think that the chances are very high,” White said in an interview on Sirius/XM radio. “And I say that just like I said before the draft that the chances were very high that I didn’t even get drafted. Because business in America, as we all know, is about one thing and that’s convenience and efficiency. And oftentimes what the efficient thing to do is not the healthiest thing to do, right? That’s why we still sell cigarettes. It wouldn’t shock me if we couldn’t be logical and say a protocol is needed because it’ll be the hard thing to do. If that’s the case then so be it. I stand on what I say and I refuse to put myself in a hazardous situation to play a sport.”

White had previously charged the Rockets with giving inconsistent support and failing to adhere to doctors’ recommendations for his return to the team. But when asked about playing for another team, White said leaving the Rockets would not provide a solution.

“I don’t see that going to another team would help anything because no matter what team I go to a protocol is still going to need to be put in place,” White said. “It’s a league thing. The reality is that it is not Houston’s fault. As much as we always want to try and blame one side or the other and try and find the black and white in it, it’s not black and white. It’s gray. And they’ve been thrown into a position now where they’re forced to make things up as they go because a protocol has not been put in place for mental health up until this point. And that’s tough for anybody to do.

“If there were no safety or health codes on how to construct a building, the people who are going to try to build a building tomorrow are going to be in trouble. That’s just the reality here so I don’t really think going to another team is something that would be better. And it’s not something that I want to do. I want to play for Houston.”

White has been away from the team since Nov. 12. He worked out with basketball staff intern Derrick Alston last week, sessions that were considered a step toward returning to the team, a person with knowledge of the plan said. The next step was to be a stint with the Rockets NBA Development League affiliate, according to the person familiar with the plan. The Rockets assigned White to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Saturday. He released a statement the next day saying he would not report to the D-League team.

“Well, we’ve been in discussion about this protocol now for a good month and I had agreed to go back to at least doing a routine recovery, which is something that was a period of time where we say, OK, let’s get him back into playing shape and mentally and physically ready to come back to the court when a protocol is approved because the situation obviously has taken a toll not only on my mental health but my physical health,” White said. “And that routine recovery was OK’d by their doctors and in the 12th hour kind of made a D-League recommendation. And I said, ‘Hey, listen, I’m going to go with what the doctors are saying and if you guys want to fine me or suspend me because I’m not going to the D-League you can do that, but I’m going to stick with what the doctors have said.

“This is about – in general – who has executive authority in medical incidents or on every day operations because the reality here is that it’s just not logical for somebody like Daryl Morey, for example, who is my GM, to say yea or nay on anything regarding medical situations,” White said. “And that’s kind of where the rule stands now, is that a GM has the right to decline the medical recommendations of even their own doctors. And that’s just not safe to me. That’s just what I think.”

White did not say specifically what doctors have recommended. Rockets officials have declined to comment. White attended the Rockets’ first six games this season, but has not played.

:facepalm:

LakersMaster24
01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
The problem is in this. From the young age his parents would treat him like a total baby, and shelter him from anything in society that might make him feel uncomfortable. He is used to having the environment changed without making a single attempt to change himself. That is why he expects the world to change just so that Baby Royce can play put the ball in the hoop.

KnickaBocka.44
01-04-2013, 07:54 PM
This guy is a lost cause.

JNoel
01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I wish I got paid for not doing ****.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
What if this guy forced himself to play and take the planes, or whatever he claims is triggering his anxiety, and his anxiety kicked in bad enough to where he went suicide? Then all you idiots would shut up and stop criticizing the man. People, who have anxiety, have died with much less pressure than going on an airplane.

Ebbs
01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
He has become my least favortie player to talk about.

I hope he's marketed himself as a special needs spokesperson well enough to make some cash. Because the guy is being selfish and unaccomodating with a organization that was trying to make his dreams come true.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
I wish I got paid for not doing ****.

I would rather not have an anxiety disorder than have one and be a millionaire. Does anyone on this site realize the severity of an anxiety disorder at times?

LakersMaster24
01-04-2013, 08:02 PM
What if this guy forced himself to play and take the planes, or whatever he claims is triggering his anxiety, and his anxiety kicked in bad enough to where he went suicide? Then all you idiots would shut up and stop criticizing the man. People, who have anxiety, have died with much less pressure than going on an airplane.

Then why in the ****ing world did he pursue a NBA career? Why not be a office clerk, where you sit in a quite room without anything or anyone bothering you?

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:03 PM
http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/anxiety_disorder/deaths.htm

Vincent33
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
:violin: Well Houston did have like 7 picks in the first round and took a chance on this dude. Oopsie daisy.

Mr_Amaziing
01-04-2013, 08:05 PM
:( Wow, He would of been a good basketball player. Maybe one day he would overcome his fears and get back in the NBA

JNoel
01-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I would rather not have an anxiety disorder than have one and be a millionaire. Does anyone on this site realize the severity of an anxiety disorder at times?

Then why in the ****ing world did he pursue a NBA career? Why not be a office clerk, where you sit in a quite room without anything or anyone bothering you?

^This, don't pursue a basketball career if you have the knowledge that you cannot be accommodating to your team, you simply cannot have the best of both worlds.

theLgndKllr35
01-04-2013, 08:06 PM

Then why in the ****ing world did he pursue a NBA career? Why not be a office clerk, where you sit in a quite
room without anything or anyone bothering you?

For anyone who has seen Donald Glover's standup, "Don't eat the pizza!"

ATX
01-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I wish he'd just get cut, and leave the public eye all together so he can go deal with his personal crisis in private. Cause I sure as **** am tired of hearing him blame everyone else.

sep11ie
01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Lol, Royce Shite

tripleplay2007
01-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Welp see ya later *****.

VinceCarter
01-04-2013, 08:08 PM

This. People need to stop *****ing and realize the severity of such a condition. I don't even have it but have experienced a period of a couple months in my life where I was having panic attacks and was anxious about everything. I couldn't go through with my life at the time. EVERYTHING was a challenge. People on this site should be ashamed of the remarks they are making calling him a baby and dissing him because you have NO IDEA how hard and stressful it is. I SUPPORT him for at least speaking the truth.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Because that is what he is good at. Maybe he declared thinking that the medical personal actually try to help you and not just get your *** on the court. College basketball had an intense atmosphere and he played there. Do you think this guy is just trying to ruin his NBA career?

mark1125
01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Sad part is that this doucherag will make it tough for others who have some sort of mental condition. Tams will be gunshy about taking a chance.

As others have said, it isn't about his disorder but about his chasing a career that requires plane travel and then being a total dick about it. F Royce White.

LakersMaster24
01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Because that is what he is good at. Maybe he declared thinking that the medical personal actually try to help you and not just get your *** on the court. College basketball had an intense atmosphere and he played there. Do you think this guy is just trying to ruin his NBA career?

He doesn't have problem with playing as much as he trouble with traveling to actual games. What the hell do you expect them to create? Some sort of light speed car that he can ride while listening to calming Mozart and having a foot massage done to him?

There is nothing you can do cure anxiety, the root of the problem is in the person, the person who has anxiety should be the first one who tries to change himself.

Sure he is good at basketball, but if he knows that he can't travel anywhere then...what the hell? Who cares about all that talent when you can't apply it?

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
^This, don't pursue a basketball career if you have the knowledge that you cannot be accommodating to your team, you simply cannot have the best of both worlds.

Seems to me most people here are just jealous that he is in the position he is in and they aren't. He is NOT blessed to be in this position. Go get a clue about anxiety disorders and then come back to me. Also, if you tell me that you wouldn't take 10 million dollars for free if the Rockets offered you then you are either a. lying or b. a sheep. Not a single one of you would decline entering the NBA draft even if you knew you would never play a minute for that team...

Gators123
01-04-2013, 08:14 PM
The Rockets are paying this D-bag $1.6M to tweet all day.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
He doesn't have problem with playing as much as he trouble with traveling to actual games. What the hell do you expect them to create? Some sort of light speed car that he can ride while listening to calming Mozart and having a foot massage done to him?

There is nothing you can do cure anxiety, the root of the problem is in the person, the person who has anxiety should be the first one who tries to change himself.

Sure he is good at basketball, but if he knows that he can't travel anywhere then...what the hell? Who cares about all that talent when you can't apply it?

If this is the case then why isn't he atleast playing the home games? Why don't they let him play the home games and games where he can travel to with a car. I would assume he wouldn't be missing much except for a few back to backs. There is plenty of you calling Royce a piece of ****, but ready to suck Oden's dick. Well guess what, Royce has as much control over his disorder as Oden does with his. Only because it is mental doesn't mean it is always curable.

LakersMaster24
01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Seems to me most people here are just jealous that he is in the position he is in and they aren't. He is NOT blessed to be in this position. Go get a clue about anxiety disorders and then come back to me. Also, if you tell me that you wouldn't take 10 million dollars for free if the Rockets offered you then you are either a. lying or b. a sheep. Not a single one of you would decline entering the NBA draft even if you knew you would never play a minute for that team...

Sure many people who accept that deal, but would it be the right thing to do? Umm, no. This is the whole problem. If he knew that his disorder is not going to let him play, he should have packed his bags and walked home.

LakersMaster24
01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
If this is the case then why isn't he atleast playing the home games? Why don't they let him play the home games and games where he can travel to with a car. I would assume he wouldn't be missing much except for a few back to backs. There is plenty of you calling Royce a piece of ****, but ready to suck Oden's dick. Well guess what, Royce has as much control over his disorder than Oden does with his. Only because it is mental doesn't mean it is always curable.

Physical injuries are a lot less problematic than mental injuries. I am pretty sure that if they offered him that, he would say that the roads leading out of Houston are not smooth enough for his comfort or that he can't play only home games because Hakeem's retired jersey gets him all nervous too.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Sure many people who accept that deal, but would it be the right thing to do? Umm, no. This is the whole problem. If he knew that his disorder is not going to let him play, he should have packed his bags and walked home.

Is it the right thing to charge fans outrages prices for tickets, while players and owners get millions? Is it right for NFL teams to drop players, that have taken pay cuts to help the team, after they get injured? This is capitalism. You do what is best for your pocket. Don't be a fool.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Physical injuries are a lot less problematic than mental injuries. I am pretty sure that if they offered him that, he would say that the roads leading out of Houston are not smooth enough for his comfort or that he can't play only home games because Hakeem's retired jersey gets him all nervous too.

Well, then it would be him making excuses. I mean, I just find it more likely that he is actually not getting enough help from the Rockets than your guys scenario. In your scenario this guy is throwing away an NBA career just to not play. He rather not play and ruin his career and flush millions of dollars down the toilet. I find it more likely that the Rockets don't give two ****s about his health and just want him on the court and all costs.

LakersMaster24
01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Is it the right thing to charge fans outrages prices for tickets, while players and owners get millions? Is it right for NFL teams to drop players that have taken pay cuts to help the team after they get injured? This is capitalism. You do what is best for your pocket. Don't be a fool.

At least the person who pays for tickets gets to see something, his favorite team, players etc. If you know a player is out for the season or who knows how long and won't be contributing then what is the point of keeping?

The problem with White is that he gets paid to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Instead of trying to cope with his problem, he just goes on twitter ranting about how tough his life is, and what a poor little baby he is, hashtaging #AnxietyTroopers after every tweet.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
If you think it was wrong for Royce to not enter the NBA draft then you are living in the wrong country.

kgformvp21
01-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Why cant they just reconstruct his deal and just have him play home games for awhile. Anxiety is all about taking little steps toward with the things you have problems with. Its funny how many people on here talk trash about him and have no idea what his conditions about.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:30 PM
At least the person who pays for tickets gets to see something, his favorite team, players etc. If you know a player is out for the season or who knows how long and won't be contributing then what is the point of keeping?

The problem with White is that he gets paid to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Instead of trying to cope with his problem, he just goes on twitter ranting about how tough his life is, and what a poor little baby he is, hashtaging #AnxietyTroopers after every tweet.

Does it make it right to exploit fan's love of the game is my question. Teams would charge us 1,000,000 dollars per game if they could. They don't give two ****s what is right what isn't. Heck, if they could the Rockets would get all the players to play for free. There is a reason there was a lockout, and it isn't because the owners are friendly guys looking to advance the game of basketball. Teams will do anything for money and thus I do not blame Royce.

VinceCarter
01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Why cant they just reconstruct his deal and just have him play home games for awhile. Anxiety is all about taking little steps toward with the things you have problems with. Its funny how many people on here talk trash about him and have no idea what his conditions about.

This is a great idea. And you're thinking with your head. Good job. It really is about baby steps and correct treatment.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:36 PM
If you guys are really mad at Royce for taking money from the Rockets organization, you guys are fools. The things the NBA/Owners do to us fans and the things they would do if they could...

Alayla
01-04-2013, 08:39 PM
This. People need to stop *****ing and realize the severity of such a condition. I don't even have it but have experienced a period of a couple months in my life where I was having panic attacks and was anxious about everything. I couldn't go through with my life at the time. EVERYTHING was a challenge. People on this site should be ashamed of the remarks they are making calling him a baby and dissing him because you have NO IDEA how hard and stressful it is. I SUPPORT him for at least speaking the truth.

well coming from someone who has aspburgers syndrome it was precived that i would never have a normal socal life and i would be a very withdrawn person but here is the thing i may have been up untill about highschool but i was determined to get over it and i Did sure i can be a tad akward at times but for the most part people dont even notice untill i or someone else brings it up.
Same thing here if Royce gave enough effort and was considerate enough to see the blessed situation he is in he could overcome this. But hes not doing that therefor i dont feel sorry for him he is more or less using his illness as a cructh and an excuse and people who do that annoy me there are people who are medically speaking fully paralyzed from the waist down who manage to not only walk but walk for miles (all be it not walking properly)
Willpower is a very strong thing and if Royce wanted it bad enough he could be out there on the court

LakersMaster24
01-04-2013, 08:42 PM
well coming from someone who has aspburgers syndrome it was precived that i would never have a normal socal life and i would be a very withdrawn person but here is the thing i may have been up untill about highschool but i was determined to get over it and i Did sure i can be a tad akward at times but for the most part people dont even notice untill i or someone else brings it up.
Same thing here if Royce gave enough effort and was considerate enough to see the blessed situation he is in he could overcome this. But hes not doing that therefor i dont feel sorry for him he is more or less using his illness as a cructh and an excuse and people who do that annoy me there are people who are medically speaking fully paralyzed from the waist down who manage to not only walk but walk for miles (all be it not walking properly)
Willpower is a very strong thing and if Royce wanted it bad enough he could be out there on the court

Props to you, much respect! :clap::clap::clap:

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:44 PM

There is mental disorders that if they are sever enough, anxiety is one of them, willpower will not cure or even treat effectively enough to do certain things. I don't know if Royce White's is this bad, but they are out there.

Alayla
01-04-2013, 08:48 PM
There is mental disorders that if they are sever enough, anxiety is one of them, willpower will not cure or even treat effectively enough to do certain things. I don't know if Royce White's is this bad, but they are out there.

while i argee to an extent you can tell by whites statments to the press on the subject that he isnt even trying if he gave it a chance and it didnt work out thats 1 thing but he is more or less demanding things go his way

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
while i argee to an extent you can tell by whites statments to the press on the subject that he isnt even trying if he gave it a chance and it didnt work out thats 1 thing but he is more or less demanding things go his way

Possibly, I just find it difficult to believe anyone would throw away an NBA career and millions of dollars just to be a brat. Then again, Sprewell did throw away a 3 year 21 million dollar contract for no reason. I just feel like White is more educated, at least it comes off that way to me.

Alayla
01-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Sad part is that this doucherag will make it tough for others who have some sort of mental condition. Tams will be gunshy about taking a chance.

As others have said, it isn't about his disorder but about his chasing a career that requires plane travel and then being a total dick about it. F Royce White.

This it may close the door for people who legitamtely want with all there heart to play even though they happen to be mentally ill.

Alayla
01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Possibly, I just find it difficult to believe anyone would throw away an NBA career and millions of dollars just to be a brat. Then again, Sprewell did throw away a 3 year 21 million dollar contract for no reason. I just feel like White is more educated, at least it comes off that way to me.

Its becuase he thinks he is the one with the leverage in this situation. kind of like how stars suddely become pricks on the last year of the deal.

In his mind (im getting money so they will want a return for that but until they give me my way im not going to)
thats how it comes off anyways he needs to stop for a second a realise that his Actions speak for him even when he says nothing

Ballistix
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Give the kid some xanax and valium, put him on the plane and call it a day. How hard is that!!!!

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
This it may close the door for people who legitamtely want with all there heart to play even though they happen to be mentally ill.

If teams are willing to pay Darko and Kwame over 7 million a year I am positive they will give a talented player with a mental disorder a chance. The player might not get as much money as he would if this Royce debacle didn't happen, but I assure you that teams will take chances. They always did and they always will.

joseph aka Jman
01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Cry me a river, this dude just needs to shut up

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Its becuase he thinks he is the one with the leverage in this situation. kind of like how stars suddely become pricks on the last year of the deal.

In his mind (im getting money so they will want a return for that but until they give me my way im not going to)
thats how it comes off anyways he needs to stop for a second a realise that his Actions speak for him even when he says nothing

If he thought like you claim he might, then would you think it would ever cross his mind what is going to happen three years from now. Where am I going to be three years from now? I highly doubt he is living day by day and saying **** it I don't have to play I have leverage because he doesn't have leverage. The guy played in preseason. Why would he refuse to play in the regular season, but play in the preseason if he doesn't feel wronged. If anything he would try not to play preseason.

1-800-STFU
01-04-2013, 09:15 PM

If someone offers me 1.6m I take it. I think the billion dollar owner will be ok.

You're stupid not to.

nyKnicks126
01-04-2013, 09:20 PM
The posts in this thread made me realize how stupid and immature you people are. I support Royce all the way.. Please be strong!

jakedajewler
01-04-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't really understand what this dude is on about, all he does is complain about the mental health protocol in the nba. Right or wrong it is up to him to get treatment, one day he'll realize that if you don't help yourself then no one else will help you. Anxiety disorders are hard to treat and success rates are not high, the dude should forget about basketball and talking to the media and just go away, under go extensive treatment and then who knows he maybe able to play next year or in the near future. Instead dude just rambles on and on about how the nba isn't fixing his problems.

Dnovakovic099
01-04-2013, 09:38 PM
I don't really understand what this dude is on about, all he does is complain about the mental health protocol in the nba. Right or wrong it is up to him to get treatment, one day he'll realize that if you don't help yourself then no one else will help you. Anxiety disorders are hard to treat and success rates are not high, the dude should forget about basketball and talking to the media and just go away, under go extensive treatment and then who knows he maybe able to play next year or in the near future. Instead dude just rambles on and on about how the nba isn't fixing his problems.

This I could agree with. Not you other posters calling him a piece of **** for taking money from the NBA. The same people who do everything in their power to screw us fans.

nyKnicks126
01-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I think you should do research before you say things like that btw.. ^^

Max.This
01-04-2013, 09:51 PM
crack cocaine, meth, and all other dangerous substances that are banned don't kill as many people as cigarettes and alcohol but yet they are still legal. It just goes to show that there are no interests in preserving life, but to maximize capital at all expenses. Mental Health is a serious concern, but White knows the business. If he doesnt like it, he should just leave.

Greedy22
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM

Much respect, dude :clap:

Greedy22
01-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Does he fail to realize flying in a plane is much safer than driving in a car? That's the one thing that doesn't make sense to me at all.

Jetsguy
01-04-2013, 10:03 PM
God so annoying to keep hearing. Why doesn't he just retire?

sventhedog
01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
come on guys. stop being pessimistic. after 10 years, teleportation would be possible and he can finally play.

PleaseBeNice
01-04-2013, 10:44 PM
BUH BYE drama queen

KingPosey
01-04-2013, 10:56 PM

The. He shouldn't have entered the draft, it's THAT simple. If its THAT bad of an issue, then it's just THAT simple.

KingPosey
01-04-2013, 11:01 PM

He CHOOSEA THIS SITUATION hi self and is the one causing the problem. He wanted the money an the perks, there is NO sympathy what so ever for this turd.

A guy also shouldn't take a job as a life guard and he comain that the pool is too deep because he can't swim. He knew what he was doing, he made the problem. He could swing a hammer for a living if he wanted to.

No one forced him to enter the draft, become a celebrity and make millions of dollars to not do his job.

PleaseBeNice
01-04-2013, 11:02 PM
The posts in this thread made me realize how stupid and immature you people are. I support Royce all the way.. Please be strong!

Tell us! O mighty one!

tp13baby
01-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Some of you are hypocritical. If you loved a sport to play through anxiety disorders and you knew you were going to get paid, I guarantee all you would jump on the opportunity. He doesn't want to have the disorder, I guarantee he wants to play basketball at the highest level. Its not an easy situation to deal with. All he needs is to take care of himself and get help.

Victimize
01-04-2013, 11:59 PM
He CHOOSEA THIS SITUATION hi self and is the one causing the problem. He wanted the money an the perks, there is NO sympathy what so ever for this turd.

A guy also shouldn't take a job as a life guard and he comain that the pool is too deep because he can't swim. He knew what he was doing, he made the problem. He could swing a hammer for a living if he wanted to.

No one forced him to enter the draft, become a celebrity and make millions of dollars to not do his job.

You and everyone else who says this is just being ignorant. Was it his choice to enter the draft? Obviously, but I can guarantee everyone in his life encouraged him to enter the draft, and what person turns down an opportunity to make millions playing basketball?????

He played high school and collegiate basketball with his disorder, so he thought that with proper treatment he could transition to the NBA. So far hes wrong, but who can blame him for taking the opportunity?

He has a mental illness. Do you know what an anxiety disorder is like? I have dealt with a mild anxiety disorder my entire life. I am at a point now where its manageable but I do still have panic attacks from time to time. When a panic attack comes, breathing becomes difficult, your heart races at 100 mph, easy tasks become difficult, speaking is extremely tough especially while your voice trembles and a million thoughts are all jumbled up in your head, everyone you see you think that they know you are freaking out and your worried they are judging you etc etc. I could go on and on, but calling someone a douche bag or a turd or whatever else you fools say is absurd.

Pretty easy to judge someone behind a computer screen when you know NOTHING about his specific condition or what is going on behind closed doors, and you wont because your not in Royce Whites shoes. Think about that before you pass judgment.

Victimize
01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Some of you are hypocritical. If you loved a sport to play through anxiety disorders and you knew you were going to get paid, I guarantee all you would jump on the opportunity. He doesn't want to have the disorder, I guarantee he wants to play basketball at the highest level. Its not an easy situation to deal with. All he needs is to take care of himself and get help.

Exactly.

thechom80
01-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I'll take the the 20 piece Nugget meal, with Coke and an apple pie.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
This guy knew what he was getting himself into.

StrandedCub
01-05-2013, 12:12 AM
This guy knew what he was getting himself into.

So did the Rockets.

Hulk6
01-05-2013, 12:20 AM
biggest pusy in the history of sports

StrandedCub
01-05-2013, 12:21 AM

He entered his name into the draft. Nothing more. He obviously didn't KNOW that wouldn't ever be able to play. Maybe he figured that the NBA team drafting him, considering they know what they are getting themselves into, would work with him to maybe one day get him on the court. If anybody deserves "blame" for this situation it is the Rockets for drafting him. Everybody knew he had problems and he even said himself that he doubted he would get drafted.

sjbirds
01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Now I may be wrong but wasn't he doing ok early on until he wasn't playing?

MrfadeawayJB
01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
I dont think anyone feels sorry for him anymore

StrandedCub
01-05-2013, 12:23 AM
If you read comments from this board and media around this country it really makes sense why our country is so behind on treating mental health. Because the general public doesn't understand it and doesn't care to try to understand it. They think he is just being a wussy or too scared. They fail to realize that it is much much deeper than that. Really is sad to see mental health treated as a smaller issue than physical health.

Ware_Spencer
01-05-2013, 12:36 AM
To make a comment on mental health issues everyone needs to watch this film first. I know the attention span of most people on the internet is 3 minutes. But seriously everyone needs to watch this to understand our mental health situation as a nation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlH9sV0lHU

uptownfan
01-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Ok, so he has mental health issues. But lots of people don't know anything about his background.

He shoved a security guard at Mall of America after trying to steal a couple pairs of jeans and allegedly stole a laptop from a dorm while at the University of Minnesota. The school suspended him indefinitely at which point he uploaded a YouTube video announcing that he was leaving the school... BEFORE telling the university. He never even played a game for the Gophers.

He not only has a mental illness, but character issues. It sucks too, because he has the ability to be a stud.

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2013, 02:11 AM
I think the ignorance expressed in a lot of these posts is heart breaking.

Plat
01-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Lol at all the ignorant people on here, go through some random intense panic attacks for years and get diagnosed with anxiety disorder and then talk ****..

STA_PLAR
01-05-2013, 02:50 AM
I personally hope he continues to get paid and doesn't do ish. Get that free money boy because you damn sure won't be playing after this contract.

Only in the great US of A. lol

Lucky Junior
01-05-2013, 02:52 AM

I have no compassion for him. I followed the draft and he lied all through the process. He said repeatedly he would do everything he could to overcome his disorder and contribute to whatever team drafted him.

If he'd of been honest and made his requirements clear he'd of been a 2nd round pick with no guaranteed money. He lied for money, and I hope they sue him on those grounds so he gets none of it. He actually should owe the team money since his lies cost them a potential star.

c.c.
01-05-2013, 03:17 AM
They should make him pay back every dollar he got from the NBA!!!!!

Enzo
01-05-2013, 03:19 AM
For all of you sticking up for this guy, you need a reality check. This has gone past the point of feeling sorry for a person with a mental disorder.

This man knowingly entered his name into the draft realizing that there was a possibilty that he would get chosen to play for a team. So he gets chosen and gladly accepts a million dollar plus contract to play for the Rockets and then only wants everything on his terms with absolutely no leeway.

The Rockets have been more then accomodating for him and his needs and this guys spits in their face every chance he gets via twitter or the media.

If he has come to the realization that he cannot perform his duties as a professional athlete then I highly doubt any of us would have an issue with that. Simply give the Rockets back the money that they are wasting on you and get a job that you can mentally handle. But he's not going that route is he? He's keeping the money and doing his best to get society to sympathize with him so the Rockets are put into a public relations nightmare. That's the issue with this person!!!

RipCity32
01-05-2013, 03:23 AM
Royce White is a *****

ZebraCity916
01-05-2013, 03:36 AM
:laugh:

Dude got his money and bounced!!!

thechom80
01-05-2013, 03:41 AM
He had an opportunity to not only get the help he needs, but to become a spokesman for those suffering from mental illness. But no..... He chooses to ***** and whine, taking the opposite approach to it all. If you're not willing to work for something, you are not entitled to it. He has been a frustration for me for far too many years and I'm pretty much done with this kid. Kick rocks.

gotoHcarolina52
01-05-2013, 04:19 AM
The less we hear from this guy, the better off we are.

brodawgs
01-05-2013, 04:19 AM
The problem with a guy with his position is that he doesn't understand that the world doesn't start and stop with demands of every single person. There are people with disabilities, there are people who can't handle things that others can, and most of the time it has nothing to do with any predisposition. Some people, whether it be based on how one was raised or their genetic traits, were not cut out for things that others were. What becomes coherently obvious is that Royce is not willing to push his envelope to see if he can break the inhibitions that he believes are holding him back. Either he can or he can't, it has nothing to do with the league's or team's rules based on people with disability. The world is not fair, especially so for those with disabilities, and it is not wrong for business to go unscathed by a situation like this.

Either he tries like he apparently has not done so, or he will leave the league.

KniCks4LiFe
01-05-2013, 04:55 AM
Tonight I watched Larry Sanders go head into the side of Jeremy Lin's head. This was Jeremy Lin after the collision on a night he played so bad. Just a bad night

Jeremy Lin after head on head collision (Jeremy Lin after head on head collision)

He went inside for concusion exams and came back to play. Royce White IMO, this is just me. Has no heart for the game. They should be allowed to sue him or something.

NYYCowboys
01-05-2013, 05:01 AM
I used to defend this guy, but honestly I'm growing pretty sick of him. Yeah, I feel bad he has a mental disorder, but at the same time he is being a complete baby about everything. Life is a two way street you hafta give a little to get a little.

This would be the equivalent of someone going to a job interview for any ordinary job, telling them that they have some sort of ailment, and saying it won't affect their work. Then when the company hired them in spite of the ailment the employee then says they can't do any of the duties of the job because of their ailment. In the real world that employee would be fired.

Just because Royce White is a basketball player doesn't make him any better than anyone else in the same situation.

In my opinion he either needs to man up, and at least try to play, or just give the money back and find a job he can handle.

NYYCowboys
01-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Also I'd like to see him put out a list of conditions on what he "needs" to be able to play. I think he doesn't even know what he wants to be honest, and is just dragging out the process.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM
If Daryl Morey walked up to any of you and offered you 2 million dollars you would be jumping up and down like you just won the lottery... You wouldn't say, "No Daryl, use this money to improve the Rockets franchise", especially if your not a Rockets fan. So I don't know why you are *****ing like little school girls about him getting paid 1.6 million. I think you all are just jealous he gets the NBA dream and then in your eyes squanders it. Even though you numb skulls have no idea what is going on in his brain and how the Rockets have handled this behind closed doors. You all just run around like chickens without their head *****ing, when in reality you would do the same as Royce did, if you say you wouldn't stop lying to yourself. I understand the constant belittlement on twitter of the NBA and the Rockets franchise seem excessive, but how do we not know that the Rockets/NBA haven't been treating this guy like ****? Maybe the league and the Rockets are as dumb as some of you on here and they said, "Oh, it is a mental disorder he can fix it. Royce get on the court and play. Take a few pills and stop *****ing." When in reality this guy could be close to a mental breakdown. Stop being jealous fools, and realize we should be helping the mentally handicapped, not ridiculing them when they cry for help.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
If you try and tell me that Royce should take some time off and get away from twitter and the NBA to heal himself I can agree with you. However, if you bash the guy for taking the money and entering the draft then stop being an idiot. The league is there for them to make money. Their whole purpose is to take as much money out of our pockets. When where the fans ever talked about during the lockout? When did they ever think about helping the common fan out? Yet, you feel sorry for them when Royce goes and take a couple million? ****ing idiots.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 02:32 PM
No wonder the NBA is so rich. You have fans like you guys going out and paying 60 dollars for a sweater worth 10 bucks only because it has the NBA logo on it. The NBA players know they need to fight against the NBA that is why there was a lockout. For some reason the fans are dumb enough to not fight against them, but fight for them. Enjoy the league and appreciate the players, but protect yourself.

Enzo
01-05-2013, 02:37 PM
If Daryl Morey walked up to any of you and offered you 2 million dollars you would be jumping up and down like you just won the lottery... You wouldn't say, "No Daryl, use this money to improve the Rockets franchise", especially if your not a Rockets fan. So I don't know why you are *****ing like little school girls about him getting paid 1.6 million. I think you all are just jealous he gets the NBA dream and then in your eyes squanders it. Even though you numb skulls have no idea what is going on in his brain and how the Rockets have handled this behind closed doors. You all just run around like chickens without their head *****ing, when in reality you would do the same as Royce did, if you say you wouldn't stop lying to yourself. I understand the constant belittlement on twitter of the NBA and the Rockets franchise seem excessive, but how do we not know that the Rockets/NBA haven't been treating this guy like ****? Maybe the league and the Rockets are as dumb as some of you on here and they said, "Oh, it is a mental disorder he can fix it. Royce get on the court and play. Take a few pills and stop *****ing." When in reality this guy could be close to a mental breakdown. Stop being jealous fools, and realize we should be helping the mentally handicapped, not ridiculing them when they cry for help.

You keep saying maybe the Rockets did this or maybe the league did that. Instead of judging everyone by their opinion of how this guy is handling the situation, maybe you should look at the other side of the coin as well. MAYBE he should do the right thing and step away from the NBA and get a job that he can handle.

Like I said previously, the way he is handling this situation is childish and in my opinion is PR related to make the Rockets look unsympathetic to his condition.

KnickaBocka.44
01-05-2013, 02:51 PM

We know this isn't the case because it simply isn't in their best interest as a franchise to handle the situation this way. They have invested money, and a first round draft pick, in this person and it is in their best interest to get him whatever he needs to be a productive employee for them.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
You keep saying maybe the Rockets did this or maybe the league did that. Instead of judging everyone by their opinion of how this guy is handling the situation, maybe you should look at the other side of the coin as well. MAYBE he should do the right thing and step away from the NBA and get a job that he can handle.

Like I said previously, the way he is handling this situation is childish and in my opinion is PR related to make the Rockets look unsympathetic to his condition.

You would walk away from millions of dollars?

LAcowBOMBER
01-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Learned helplessness is the condition of a human or animal that has learned to behave helplessly, failing to respond even though there are opportunities for it to help itself by avoiding unpleasant circumstances or by gaining positive rewards.

Learned helplessness theory is the view that clinical depression and related mental illnesses may result from a perceived absence of control over the outcome of a situation. Organisms which have been ineffective and less sensitive in determining the consequences of their behavior are defined as having acquired learned helplessness.

People have anxiety orders and manage to get through life. I have one a graduated from college and am working. My dad has a worse case of it and is pulling in high 6 figures and has a prominent role in his company that requires travel and many stressful situations.

You can feel bad to him to a point, but he is no victim here

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
We know this isn't the case because it simply isn't in their best interest as a franchise to handle the situation this way. They have invested money, and a first round draft pick, in this person and it is in their best interest to get him whatever he needs to be a productive employee for them.

Well, I can use the same argument. We know that Royce isn't complaining about nothing and they are mistreating him. This we know because it is not in Royce's best interest to squander an NBA career. Heck, he played college for free. He played in the preseason. How in the world is it in Royce's best interest to not play? The Rockets have one low round first pick to lose. This guy has millions of dollars that he will never see again to lose. This guy has popularity and fame to lose. Royce White has way more to lose than the Rockets.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Learned helplessness is the condition of a human or animal that has learned to behave helplessly, failing to respond even though there are opportunities for it to help itself by avoiding unpleasant circumstances or by gaining positive rewards.

Learned helplessness theory is the view that clinical depression and related mental illnesses may result from a perceived absence of control over the outcome of a situation. Organisms which have been ineffective and less sensitive in determining the consequences of their behavior are defined as having acquired learned helplessness.

People have anxiety orders and manage to get through life. I have one a graduated from college and am working. My dad has a worse case of it and is pulling in high 6 figures and has a prominent role in his company that requires travel and many stressful situations.

You can feel bad to him to a point, but he is no victim here

I know someone who had a very bright life and wasn't depressed at all that went suicide because of anxiety. Using examples is useless because there are different degrees of disorders. However, congratulations to your dad.

Enzo
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM

If I knew that I would have to give it back due to a breach of contract, yes I would. There's no way he gets to keep that money if he doesn't fulfill his end of the agreement. He's playing games with the media and public to gain some type of advantage over this situation.

You're putting people in this forum on blast and calling them names for voicing their opinion. Maybe people besides yourself have the intuition and smarts to notice that this kids somewhat intelligent and is trying to get a free lunch ticket.

KnickaBocka.44
01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Well, I can use the same argument. We know that Royce isn't complaining about nothing and they are mistreating him. This we know because it is not in Royce's best interest to squander an NBA career. Heck, he played college for free. He played in the preseason. How in the world is it in Royce's best interest to not play? The Rockets have one low round first pick to lose. This guy has millions of dollars that he will never see again to lose. This guy has popularity and fame to lose. Royce White has way more to lose than the Rockets.

No. He is winning by collecting a paycheck that he doesn't have to work for.

If I went through the interview process, got hired to a job, went through training and then after all of that told my boss that I had anxiety and wasn't going to be able to make it to work but I still expected to be paid then I would be out of a job. It should be no different for this guy.

sjbirds
01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
he signed a contract for the money he is being paid...now do what is in the contract or pay it back and have a nice life.. people forget none of this happened till he was not getting playing time and may be sent to the d league...he was working on it and doing ok...now go use everything you learned in school and find another job royce

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:11 PM
If I knew that I would have to give it back due to a breach of contract, yes I would. There's no way he gets to keep that money if he doesn't fulfill his end of the agreement. He's playing games with the media and public to gain some type of advantage over this situation.

You're putting people in this forum on blast and calling them names for voicing their opinion. Maybe people besides yourself have the intuition and smarts to notice that this kids somewhat intelligent and is trying to get a free lunch ticket.

What proof do you have that he is trying to get a free lunch ticket? I haven't heard that he is out of shape. I haven't heard that he cannot play. Wouldn't it be easier to just go play some games attend a few practices and collect millions then loosing all that money, or even fighting with the league who has way better lawyers than Royce. There is only one reason Royce would give up all the millions and fame and that is if he knew he was unable to play. Physically he seems fine... You would never give up millions of dollars. Stop lying. You would kick and scream like a ***** before you gave up millions of dollars. Ofcourse I am going to put someone on blast for calling a kid with a mental disorder a piece of ****. If he had cancer, oh my the would the story be different... Its just that most of you have no idea of the severity of anxiety disorders. Here in lies the whole problem.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:13 PM
No. He is winning by collecting a paycheck that he doesn't have to work for.

If I went through the interview process, got hired to a job, went through training and then after all of that told my boss that I had anxiety and wasn't going to be able to make it to work but I still expected to be paid then I would be out of a job. It should be no different for this guy.

He might make 5 millions dollars on his rookie contract. What about the 30+ million he stands to lose even if he become a mediocre player. What about the fame? If you don't think Royce has more to lose than the Rockets, well then I do not know what to tell you.

Enzo
01-05-2013, 04:22 PM
What proof do you have that he is trying to get a free lunch ticket? I haven't heard that he is out of shape. I haven't heard that he cannot play. Wouldn't it be easier to just go play some games attend a few practices and collect millions then loosing all that money, or even fighting with the league who has way better lawyers than Royce. There is only one reason Royce would give up all the millions and fame and that is if he knew he was unable to play. Physically he seems fine... You would never give up millions of dollars. Stop lying. You would kick and scream like a ***** before you gave up millions of dollars. Ofcourse I am going to put someone on blast for calling a kid with a mental disorder a piece of ****. If he had cancer, oh my the would the story be different... Its just that most of you have no idea of the severity of anxiety disorders. Here in lies the whole problem.

First of all don't ever tell me what I would or would not do. Whether you believe me or not, I'm financially sound and I'm fairly well versed when it comes to the ins and outs of contracts and the verbage that lies within them.

To answer your question... No I do not have proof that this guy is trying to get a free lunch ticket. Guess what, you don't have proof that he isn't, so don't even go down the judicial route.

My point is this...your are speaking down to people for doing the exact same thing you are whether you realize it or not. Some are saying that he is abusing his contract and the the team that he was hired to play for without any proof as you like to say. You are in turn saying the opposite without any so called proof as well. Stop flipping on people who are voicing their opinion. Respect is a two way street.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:23 PM

See the way I see it is that Royce actually believes, because his disorder is bad enough, that with the setup of the current NBA and their medical staff there is no way he can play in the NBA and still maintain a healthy life. So, he is trying to do two things 1. Change the way the NBA handles these situations and 2. Get as much money as possible. Since the NBA is just filled with money hungry owners and the whole purpose is to gain more money and not maintain the integrity of the game, some examples are superstar calls and overpriced merchandise, there is nothing wrong with Royce trying to make money. He is doing what we all would do and you guys are in here calling him names...

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
First of all don't ever tell me what I would or would not do. Whether you believe me or not, I'm financially sound and I'm fairly well versed when it comes to the ins and outs of contracts and the verbage that lies within them.

To answer your question... No I do not have proof that this guy is trying to get a free lunch ticket. Guess what, you don't have proof that he isn't, so don't even go down the judicial route.

My point is this...your are speaking down to people for doing the exact same thing you are whether you realize it or not. Some are saying that he is abusing his contract and the the team that he was hired to play for without any proof as you like to say. You are in turn saying the opposite without any so called proof as well. Stop flipping on people who are voicing their opinion. Respect is a two way street.

Am I in here blasting the Rockets for mishandling Royce's medical problems? Did I make a thread about them abusing Royce and how they are *******s for not treating him better? No, I did not. I said the whole time they MIGHT be handling it poorly and that is the reason you guys shouldn't bash the a kid with mental disorders. None of us know what is actually going on. That is why it would be dumb of us to speculate and throw Royce under the bus.

SA5195
01-05-2013, 04:31 PM
He's such a waste of time

KniCks4LiFe
01-05-2013, 04:33 PM
my issue w/ this dude is that he's being paid for not fulfilling his contract. Not even about performance, this dude refuses to show up at work! WHAT 9-5'er gets paid for that? How is it that the Rockets can't sue him? how is it that he under NBA rules still recieves a paycheck he has not earned! you came from college and was paid a guaranteed term contract, you signed to play for an organization, now the team can't get anything from this?

They can't get his services, his presence, the money, an exception, a pick, NOTHING!

STL Don
01-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah I no longer have much sympathy for the man. He's been given the opportunity people all across the world would do anything for. He's so blessed and lucky to have the size along with the athleticism and talent to be a professional ball player and he's willing to just let it all go. From what I've read, yes, he does state that he wants to play, yada, yada, yada, however, he doesn't seem to have the same drive as other athletes that truly love the game and want to dedicate and commit their lives for the sport.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
my issue w/ this dude is that he's being paid for not fulfilling his contract. Not even about performance, this dude refuses to show up at work! WHAT 9-5'er gets paid for that? How is it that the Rockets can't sue him? how is it that he under NBA rules still recieves a paycheck he has not earned! you came from college and was paid a guaranteed term contract, you signed to play for an organization, now the team can't get anything from this?

They can't get his services, his presence, the money, an exception, a pick, NOTHING!

It is because he cannot show up to work. Same way Portland still payed Oden. If the court agrees with Royce that he was medically unable to perform how would it be different than any other career ending injury?

KniCks4LiFe
01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
It is because he cannot show up to work. Same way Portland still payed Oden. If the court agrees with Royce that he was medically unable to perform how would it be different than any other career ending injury?

Oden atleast got injured on the job. This dude mentally can't play for a team. So the team is not responsible for this. He shouldn't be paid. That's an internal issue the Rockets had nothing to do with. I'll tell you what from now on, any mentally handicap player shouldn't get guaranteed contracts. Especially after this stunt.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Oden atleast got injured on the job. This dude mentally can't play for a team. So the team is not responsible for this. He shouldn't be paid. That's an internal issue the Rockets had nothing to do with. I'll tell you what from now on, any mentally handicap player shouldn't get guaranteed contracts. Especially after this stunt.

Well, how about Jay Williams then? He got injured on a bike. I don't know why you would be mad that Royce takes a few million from the owners!!! I just don't understand. These guys are the richest/money-hungry people in the world. I just don't get it.

Enzo
Am I in here blasting the Rockets for mishandling Royce's medical problems? Did I make a thread about them abusing Royce and how they are *******s for not treating him better? No, I did not. I said the whole time they MIGHT be handling it poorly and that is the reason you guys shouldn't bash the a kid with mental disorders. None of us know what is actually going on. That is why it would be dumb of us to speculate and throw Royce under the bus.

It's the way you handled your arguement, not your arguement per say. The first post you made in this thread you called everybody idiots. Maybe in the future it might be a wiser choice to present your thoughts without insulting people who do not agree with you. The purpose of any forum is to discuss a specific issue at hand. I honestly believe that your arguement would have held more value if you didn't start it off the way you did. But that's just my opinion, so please don't call me an idiot. Thanks.

KnickaBocka.44

If you can't understand the difference between those circumstances then there is no point in even discussing the issue.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:45 PM

Also, if I was an owner I wouldn't have gave Royce a guaranteed contract. Why would you give a guy guaranteed money if you know he can't fly on planes. Blame the Rockets for signing him to the contract, and not him for taking free money.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:49 PM
If you can't understand the difference between those circumstances then there is no point in even discussing the issue.

The problem is that you cannot get through your head that the disorder might actually be that bad. Is that so hard to understand? Is it so hard for you to understand that if Royce boards a plane he might get a panic attack and die? The guy is sick. If you tell me that he is over exaggerating his illness then I can see your point, but we cannot assume he isn't or he is because we do not know. So, there is no reason to attack Royce nor the Rockets organization.

mike_noodles
01-05-2013, 04:49 PM

I do, and I agree with you.

KniCks4LiFe
01-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Also, if I was an owner I wouldn't have gave Royce a guaranteed contract. Why would you give a guy guaranteed money if you know he can't fly on planes. Blame the Rockets for signing him to the contract, and not him for taking free money.

Because he was a lotto talent and wouldn't have entered the draft unless he thought he was capable. As for Jay Williams what happened to him was horrific and he tried to get back on the court and couldn't physically he was done. Royce refuses to get help, makes demand and hasn't shown up. You don't see or get the difference? He screwed things up for future handicapped players that's for sure. B/c next time I guarantee you teams will probably have option clauses to not have to pay a player drafted after his 1st yr. This **** can't happen again.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:53 PM
It's the way you handled your arguement, not your arguement per say. The first post you made in this thread you called everybody idiots. Maybe in the future it might be a wiser choice to present your thoughts without insulting people who do not agree with you. The purpose of any forum is to discuss a specific issue at hand. I honestly believe that your arguement would have held more value if you didn't start it off the way you did. But that's just my opinion, so please don't call me an idiot. Thanks.

Argument*, if your going to correct me on the way I present an argument at least spell the word correctly. I feel if someone degrades someone, where there is no justification to be done so then I have the right to insult that person. I may be wrong in that regard but that is my point of view and I doubt I will change it to get my point across better. Please don't call a mentally handicapped kid bad names. Thanks.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Because he was a lotto talent and wouldn't have entered the draft unless he thought he was capable. As for Jay Williams what happened to him was horrific and he tried to get back on the court and couldn't physically he was done. Royce refuses to get help, makes demand and hasn't shown up. You don't see or get the difference? He screwed things up for future handicapped players that's for sure. B/c next time I guarantee you teams will probably have option clauses to not have to pay a player drafted after his 1st yr. This **** can't happen again.

You wouldn't enter an NBA draft, get drafted, and make millions if you thought you weren't capable to make it in the NBA? Also, we don't know that he is refusing help. He claims there is no help being provided. The only demand the kid made was for the NBA to be more accommodating to mentally handicapped people such as himself. Unless, there are other demands I haven't heard of?

effen5
01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Well, how about Jay Williams then? He got injured on a bike. I don't know why you would be mad that Royce takes a few million from the owners!!! I just don't understand. These guys are the richest/money-hungry people in the world. I just don't get it.

Jay Will technically voided his contract when he ruined his career on that bike.

The reason why he still got paid is because Reinsdorf wanted to make sure he was taken care of and make sure he was okay going forward.

Reinsdorf is a very loyal generous guy...He wanted Eddy Curry to take a heart test to see if he had a heart condition in which if he did, Reinsdorf was going to make sure he paid him like 500K for the rest of his life not to pay basketball to make sure he didn't risk his life.

Dnovakovic099
01-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Jay Will technically voided his contract when he ruined his career on that bike.

The reason why he still got paid is because Reinsdorf wanted to make sure he was taken care of and make sure he was okay going forward.

Reinsdorf is a very loyal generous guy...He wanted Eddy Curry to take a heart test to see if he had a heart condition in which if he did, Reinsdorf was going to make sure he paid him like 500K for the rest of his life not to pay basketball to make sure he didn't risk his life.

Wow, either I am way off with my argument, or Reinsdorf is an exception to the rule. I am shocked to hear that actually. I guess I am just too pessimistic.

Edit: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/bulls/2004-02-02-williams-buyout_x.htm Now that is a feel good story.

Enzo
01-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Argument*, if your going to correct me on the way I present an argument at least spell the word correctly. I feel if someone degrades someone, where there is no justification to be done so then I have the right to insult that person. I may be wrong in that regard but that is my point of view and I doubt I will change it to get my point across better. Please don't call a mentally handicapped kid bad names. Thanks.

Really, you're going to go that route? I spelled a word incorrectly so you call me out on it. You're so immature and are just making my case stronger about the way you handled yourself in this thread. I'm done with you. :laugh2:

Oh by the way, I highlighted your mistake in red in an attempt to bring your superior intellect to the same level as the rest of us. It's you're not your in that situation. :rolleyes:

KniCks4LiFe
01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
You wouldn't enter an NBA draft, get drafted, and make millions if you thought you weren't capable to make it in the NBA? Also, we don't know that he is refusing help. He claims there is no help being provided. The only demand the kid made was for the NBA to be more accommodating to mentally handicapped people such as himself. Unless, there are other demands I haven't heard of?

Yes I would. But would I continue to rob money from a contract I have yet to provide service for in the NBA? no I wouldn't. There are just somethings you can't do. As for the help, from all accounts the Rockets are offering help. He refused it.

BKLYNpigeon
01-05-2013, 05:22 PM
I dont care about Royce White. theres plenty of other Rookies to pay attention to.

amak316
01-05-2013, 06:12 PM
most self entitled rookie in NBA history. Doubt his career ever flourishes he'll always have some excuse to justify his delusional personality

WAYNEBO
01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Karma's a b|tch GM Morey. Serves you right for dropping poison pills around the league like a Beane Baby.

FlakeyFool
01-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Ya you beane baby

LAcowBOMBER
01-05-2013, 06:21 PM
I know someone who had a very bright life and wasn't depressed at all that went suicide because of anxiety. Using examples is useless because there are different degrees of disorders. However, congratulations to your dad.

People do not commit suicide out of the blue. I understand he has a problem, but then don't sign a contract to play basketball and travel if you can't do it and don't complain when people expect you to honor a contract you signed. This isn't something that pops up, he had this problem already.

Also, anxiety is a treatable thing and something that can be worked on through therapy and pushing your comfort zone. No doctor would recommend not doing anything about it and just making excuses. The NBA may be too much for him right now, but it's not something the Rockets or any other team should be paying for. The problem is his and something he needs to work on or stop complaining.

Lastly, you don't "go suicide", you commit suicide and I have a degree in Psychology and have personal experience with the subject. They may have been hiding it well, but you don't just kill yourself one day out of the blue

sep11ie
01-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I wish Morey would give Royce White a poison pill

mike_noodles
01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Funny how many people still don't recognize mental handicaps and illnesses the same way they do with physical ones. It's a shame really. I know from personal experience since mental illness doesn't run in my family, but rather takes a slow walk and gets to know everyone personally.

Not sure exactly what his problem is (I've seen it mentioned that he won't get on planes). Some people here may know that John Madden (yes of the Madden football games, former coach, tv analyst) will not fly either. Unfortunately in Royce's case the NBA schedule just doesn't allow for that.

As for the injuries and payment discussions here. Seeing as how it was a per-existing condition, it would be up to the courts to decide if the Rockets knew about it before signing him to the deal.

Lucky Junior
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM

This is what everyone is missing. All the people with disorders taking Royce's side don't realize that he's setting you guys back big time. If I own any sports franchise and someone tells me they have the same condition as Royce I'm not giving them any guaranteed money no matter what they did in college or said in the pre-draft process.

He literally is ruining a lot of people's oppurtunities to pursue their dreams by the way he's handling this. At the very least he should get off of Twitter and make it an internal issue.

And to anyone who doesn't understand, I assume this includes Royce White... He will get sued, and he will lose. The only reason the Rockets have tolerated this much is because they are trying to save their investment. Once it becomes a sunk cost they will just sue him to recoup every dollar they can.

Freakazoid
01-05-2013, 10:17 PM
There are dozens of treatments for his disorder. He simply refused to undergo any of them. You don't need protocol, you just need common sense.

mjt20mik
01-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Anxiety is an absolutely terrible thing. I understand the pain he goes through, and for people that say "suck it up" and stuff like that, have to understanding of what anxiety attacks feel like.

With that being side, I think equal blame should be on White and the Houston organization. They knew what to expect when drafting this guy, and they took the risk hoping it would pan out. On the other side, White should not have declared, finished university, and just gotten a job that didn't involve his fears.

DitchDat
01-06-2013, 09:08 AM
why declare if you're scared of flying? I actually wanted the Celts to draft him, but this dude is a diva. I understand the disease, but he fooled the league

NJrockPD
01-06-2013, 09:53 AM
What protocol is he suggesting?

mark1125
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
What protocol is he suggesting?

Theone where he gets paid but gets taken from town to town in a horse drawn carriage.

That is the problem. This douchebag just tweets and whines 24/7. WHAT DO YOU WANT YOU WHINY *****? Other than get paid for doing nothing.

Kashmir13579
01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm in Royce's corner.

Sly Guy
01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
just ****in fill him full of valium and toss him on a plane already, like normal people/

HiphopRelated
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
double

HiphopRelated
01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Funny how many people still don't recognize mental handicaps and illnesses the same way they do with physical ones. It's a shame really. I know from personal experience since mental illness doesn't run in my family, but rather takes a slow walk and gets to know everyone personally.

Not sure exactly what his problem is (I've seen it mentioned that he won't get on planes). Some people here may know that John Madden (yes of the Madden football games, former coach, tv analyst) will not fly either. Unfortunately in Royce's case the NBA schedule just doesn't allow for that.

As for the injuries and payment discussions here. Seeing as how it was a per-existing condition, it would be up to the courts to decide if the Rockets knew about it before signing him to the deal.

and if you had one leg you wouldn't play in the NBA either

Cromedome
01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
"Threat, Fines, Suspension won't deter me. I won't accept illogical health decisions, I will keep asking for safety & health"

17 min ago via Twitter.

I feel like making a Twitter account so I can enjoy this soap opera.

astrosmaniac
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
What everyone is missing is the fact that Royce white played the entire preseason. He had no problems with the rockets protocol then, I doubt te rockets magically changed that when the regular season started. The issues started and he stopped showing up when he didn't get regular playing time and he's pissed about that. He thinks he's should be gifted a spot on the court instead of earning it like every other rookie the rockets have

Blazers23
01-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Trade him to Portland, we will deal with him here. Let him play Home games only, that's what the Rockets should have done.

blahblahyoutoo
01-06-2013, 01:29 PM

am i supposed to feel bad for a guy who chose to take his own life?

and this is a moot hypothetical situation because no one is forcing him to do anything. the rockets have been more than accommodating.

heyman321
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockets-suspend-f-royce-white-164504590--nba.html

mofo is officially suspended hahahah!

blahblahyoutoo
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
:violin:

:violin:

blahblahyoutoo
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM

if you are good at one aspect of your job, but can't perform the critical functions of it as a whole, you get fired.

i might be great at balancing and walking on a rope, but I won't be pursuing a career as a tightrope walker if I have an immense fear of heights.

blahblahyoutoo
01-06-2013, 01:43 PM

yup, and i wouldn't be whining like a lil ***** when if I get released because i have personal issues with traveling with the team.

sep11ie
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm in Royce's corner.

Of course you are.

blahblahyoutoo
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Does it make it right to exploit fan's love of the game is my question. Teams would charge us 1,000,000 dollars per game if they could. They don't give two ****s what is right what isn't. Heck, if they could the Rockets would get all the players to play for free. There is a reason there was a lockout, and it isn't because the owners are friendly guys looking to advance the game of basketball. Teams will do anything for money and thus I do not blame Royce.

Teams charge what the market is will to pay. Just stop it with this stupid analogy already.
They can charge $1M all they want, but no one will pay that price.

Cromedome
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
His twitter and the responses are crazy.

thechom80
01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockets-suspend-f-royce-white-164504590--nba.html

mofo is officially suspended hahahah!

Good. Sit down, think about what you want Royce. Which way are you going to go from here?

I find it hard to believe Houston isn't doing everything within their means to help this guy. He just doesn't want it and is riding his issue to seek out sympathy. Yes, people are sympathetic to your health, but don't hold the organization and the Association hostage over it. What do you want to do, Royce??

HiphopRelated
01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Trade him to Portland, we will deal with him here. Let him play Home games only, that's what the Rockets should have done.
why? so you pay him all his contract to play half his games, when he's not even THAT talented to begin with?

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
why? so you pay him all his contract to play half his games, when he's not even THAT talented to begin with?

You can't say he lacks talent when you haven't even seen him play in the NBA. I think he looked fine in the Summer League. He's a great passer for a big man. I think it's too bad for the Rockets that he's a *****.

rocket
01-06-2013, 03:28 PM

You should be a NBA scout IMO.

Vinny642
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Its bad

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Of course, you all prove how ignorant and self absorbed America truely is...

When a drug addict overdoses, its his own " fault ", right ???

When a person with mental health, or more specifically, an anxiety disorder has issues, its his " fault ", right ???

Educate yourselves and quit sounding so close minded...

Triggers of anxiety disorders are responsible of mass killings, suicides, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, among many other...

Its not as if he decided he was going to be born this way...

Instead of empathy, you judge his downfall...

Its no wonder why America is the laughing stock of the planet...

gaughan333
01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

When a person with mental health, or more specifically, an anxiety disorder has issues, its his " fault ", right ???

Triggers of anxiety disorders are responsible of mass killings, suicides, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, among many other...

But he did decide to pursue an NBA career and sign a contract fully knowing teams travel

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM

There are plenty of good people in this country and the way a few people act online doesn't reflect a whole country of 300,000,000 people. Calm down.

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM

When a person with mental health, or more specifically, an anxiety disorder has issues, its his " fault ", right ???."

These are two totally different things. Drug addicts make stupid choices and decide in their minds that they're going to take an excessive amount of illegal drugs. In the case of mental health, I agree that thy have no choice, but White decided to pursue a career in professional basketball fully knowing that teams frequently fly around the country.

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
But he did decide to pursue an NBA career and sign a contract fully knowing teams travel

Lmao...

You're telling me that a teenage kid, who is one of the 60 best basketball players in the country and gets drafted by am NBA team is supposed to reject an NBA contract ???

We don't even know if he knew he had an anxiety disorder... If he knew, he might not have known the ramifications of NBA stress, and if he knew that, he might not have known flying would be a trigger...

To judge a kid based off knowing only what the rockets PR people and whites comments through journalists is just typical for our society...

Its easier than thinking critically...

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 04:45 PM
These are two totally different things. Drug addicts make stupid choices and decide in their minds that they're going to take an excessive amount of illegal drugs. In the case of mental health, I agree that thy have no choice, but White decided to pursue a career in professional basketball fully knowing that teams frequently fly around the country.

You just proved my point...

Ty...

If you don't know and only think that drug addiction is a dude choosing to inject massive amounts of drugs, you are gravely wrong...

Drug addiction is a certifiable mental health and medical health disorder...

I only hope you never have it hit close to home... your ignorance would not be good..

If you think moms selling their children is them " trying to have a good time", I hope you hey the help you need

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Lmao...

You're telling me that a teenage kid, who is one of the 60 best basketball players in the country and gets drafted by am NBA team is supposed to reject an NBA contract ???

We don't even know if he knew he had an anxiety disorder... If he knew, he might not have known the ramifications of NBA stress, and if he knew that, he might not have known flying would be a trigger...

To judge a kid based off knowing only what the rockets PR people and whites comments through journalists is just typical for our society...

I agree with him. If he doesn't want to fly for whatever reason, he should have never pursued a career in professional basketball in the first place.

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I agree with him. If he doesn't want to fly for whatever reason, he should have never pursued a career in professional basketball in the first place.

So, you know that he knew his anxiety would be triggered by flight when he declared for the draft ???

I have an anxiety disorder and it just happens that I won't fly either...

Guess when I found out ???

When I tried to get on a plane...

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Drug addiction is not something you're born with. It develops with the persistent use of drugs. Taking drugs is a choice. Always a choice. No matter if you're parents did it, no matter if you're compensating for something, substance dependence is a choice.

Just because you hate flying, it doesn't mean you have an anxiety disorder. It means you don't like flying. I don't like flying either.

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 05:05 PM
http://attleboro.patch.com/blog_posts/prescription-drug-addiction-a-medical-condition-not-a-moral-failure

They're are so many articles, papers, medical evidence, doctors opinions and such backing this...

You sound like you're just regurgitating some conservative bull **** that your parents taught you instead of researching it yourself...

onlythisfar41
01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I am fully aware of an anxiety disorder being a devastating thing to someone that is afflicted with it. However this scenario just reeks of someone using their disorder as a crutch and to take advantage of a situation. You know coming into this situation what you were getting into. If White truly thought that he would get to the NBA and they would just automatically bend to his will so that he was comfortable than that shows what kind of person he is.

He clearly isnt even trying to meet them halfway, its either do it my way or I'm going to stomp my feet and scream as loud as I can till I get it my way. Its one thing to try and for it to not work out, fine then everyone could accept that, but to not give it a go at all just makes him look bad.

Now this is coming from a very progressive and liberal person, but in this case I dont feel bad. You are being given a chance to do something that millions of people dream their whole lives about and you dont even give an effort.

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 05:45 PM
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/topics-in-brief/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction

This is off a government site...

it says that genetics plays a major factor in the addiction disease...

However, choices to initially use drugs are always up to individuals...

It is a genetic brain disorder though...

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 05:57 PM
And they do. I am well aware that genetics are part of it. But if you go through your whole life without trying illegal drugs, the "bad genes" won't induce random drug cravings. It just increases the likelihood that once you start taking a drug, you will feel dependent.

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 06:13 PM
And they do. I am well aware that genetics are part of it. But if you go through your whole life without trying illegal drugs, the "bad genes" won't induce random drug cravings. It just increases the likelihood that once you start taking a drug, you will feel dependent.

Drugs aren't the issue...

Addiction is the issue and the disease...

Sure, its easy to say " don't do drugs and you'll be fine"... That's not the case though...

Food, gambling, sugar, alcohol, tobacco, exercise, TV, video games, shopping, sex, work etc etc etc...

What do you do then ???

Are those all the individuals fault as well ???

KingPosey
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM

Listen, he wanted to make millions of dollars and signed a contract that was contingent upon some very simple variables. You need to travel and actually play.

If he couldnt honor the terms of his contract, whether he was born this way or not, then he shouldn't have even put HIMSELF in this situation.

And Don't kid yourself, America isn't the laughing stock of the a
Planet, even in a time where we are the weakest we have been in decades, we are still the driving force globally. And the rest of it is jealous Europeans that love to hate us, when we don't even give them a second thought because its pointless.

KingPosey
01-06-2013, 06:24 PM

This makes you look bad, this dumb argument.

You keep telling everyone that they are close minded and do not understand the severity of his issue, but you think he should just chase the money and keep it, all while HE knows the severity of his issue.

Just because we all want a million dollars doesn't help his case in anyway. It's a dumb argument.

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
I am fully aware of an anxiety disorder being a devastating thing to someone that is afflicted with it. However this scenario just reeks of someone using their disorder as a crutch and to take advantage of a situation. You know coming into this situation what you were getting into. If White truly thought that he would get to the NBA and they would just automatically bend to his will so that he was comfortable than that shows what kind of person he is.

He clearly isnt even trying to meet them halfway, its either do it my way or I'm going to stomp my feet and scream as loud as I can till I get it my way. Its one thing to try and for it to not work out, fine then everyone could accept that, but to not give it a go at all just makes him look bad.

Now this is coming from a very progressive and liberal person, but in this case I dont feel bad. You are being given a chance to do something that millions of people dream their whole lives about and you dont even give an effort.

So, you are another person that knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he knew flying would be a trigger for his anxiety ???

The thought of flying doesn't induce anxiety until after you've tried...

He has tried or he wouldn't have anxiety...

I have similar tendencies as white and my anxiety about flying didn't occur till I tried to get on a plane... I missed my fathers funeral because I can't fly... Its not a choice or something you can " work on" all the time...

KingPosey
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
You keep sayi g " we don't understand the disorder! None of yu understand his pain! You are close minded and don't get it!"

The thing is, HE knows HIS OWN disorder. He knowingly went into this with the knowledge of all his issues. He didn't have to do this job. He could tap a keyboard, swing. Hammer, not leave college early, etc. this ultimately is on him. Whether its a severe disorder or not. He put everyone in a loss lose situation and and went for the money knowing he couldn't handle the pressure.

And for ****s sake don't come back at me with "you would want the money too."

KingPosey
01-06-2013, 06:32 PM
So, you are another person that knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he knew flying would be a trigger for his anxiety ???

The thought of flying doesn't induce anxiety until after you've tried...

He has tried or he wouldn't have anxiety...

I have similar tendencies as white and my anxiety about flying didn't occur till I tried to get on a plane... I missed my fathers funeral because I can't fly... Its not a choice or something you can " work on" all the time...

He knew because it was an issue in college. So ya, he pretty clearly knew that flying was an issue.

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Drugs aren't the issue...

Addiction is the issue and the disease...

Sure, its easy to say " don't do drugs and you'll be fine"... That's not the case though...

Food, gambling, sugar, alcohol, tobacco, exercise, TV, video games, shopping, sex, work etc etc etc...

What do you do then ???

Are those all the individuals fault as well ???

How are you gonna tell me drugs aren't the issue when drug addiction was your comparison to Royce's situation? :confused:

And back to the topic at hand, it is Royce's fault. He can't take this off himself. He CHOSE to pursue a career in professional sports, he CHOSE to get drafted, he CHOSE to agree to a contract with the Houston Rockets of the National Basketball Association, fully knowing that his career CHOICE involved a lot of flying across the nation. If you are honestly trying to tell me that it's not his fault because he has an anxiety disorder that's ridiculous. Even if he did have an anxiety disorder (which could be all a ******** excuse anyway), he should have either faced his fears head on and eventually gotten over them, or have chosen not to enter the draft in the first place.

cuttydoesit6
01-06-2013, 06:45 PM
man the **** up & ball son! use a lil bit of the millions of dollars your making to get some serious pro help

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
He knew because it was an issue in college. So ya, he pretty clearly knew that flying was an issue.

Whose responsibility is it to make sure he's the right guy for the franchise ???

If I apply to be a rocket scientist at NASA and they hire me, is it my fault that I don't know a thing about rocket science ???

I won't care because im making a **** load of money...

Good for him for beating the system...

Players try it every year and few hide their faults successfully...

bringinwood
01-06-2013, 06:55 PM
All of you are mad ...

Lmao....

I hope he sues the rockets and wins and laughs at all of you on espn while spending your money...

Lmao

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Whose responsibility is it to make sure he's the right guy for the franchise ???

If I apply to be a rocket scientist at NASA and they hire me, is it my fault that I don't know a thing about rocket science ???

The difference is that he is one of the top 60 players in the country. You are certainly not one of the top 60 rocket scientists in the country. If you were a top 60 rocket scientist and you weren't scared of rockets and applied, they would hire you. If you were a top 60 rocket scientist who was scared to **** of rockets, but applied and agreed to be involved in the rocket science, as though you were overcoming your anxieties, they would draft you. But if you are a top 60 rocket scientist who is still scared of rockets and don't want to be involved in rocket science, you shouldn't apply in the first place. Royce White was the rocket scientist who was scared of rockets and applied anyway.

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
All of you are mad ...

Lmao....

I hope he sues the rockets and wins and laughs at all of you on espn while spending your money...

Lmao

Hypocrisy at it's finest. Lol. Typical internet comeback from someone who realizes they're wrong about everything.

ThaDubs
01-06-2013, 07:05 PM
You sound like you're just regurgitating some conservative bull **** that your parents taught you instead of researching it yourself...

If we go back a few posts it looks like you're the only one here who's mad...

beans439
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Lmao...

this is ridiculous, take it a little further then. would most reject an nba contract offer? no, most of us would sign on the dotted line, BUT most would also realize if we dont play the game and do my job like the rest of the employees, they are gonna get scrutiny. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER JOB. most have to go to work and get work done to be taken seriously, to be an asset to your company. those that dont do work, those that slack or call in sick or just arent an asset to the company will get looked down on. How do you think the 12th man on the bench feels making in the thousands practicing every day, being away from their families for days at a time looking a white NOT DOING HIS JOB getting paid millions to sit and talk on twitter and refuse to play in d league? what exactly does white want houston or the nba to do? he probably doesnt even know exactly but im damn sure he wants to get paid in the process. give me a break, get to work or go home.

beans439
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM

nobody expects him to refuse an nba contract, but if your collecting that much money and not doing your half of the agreement, youre gonna get hated on. Its life, if he wants to be liked and supported, give the money back and step away from the nba to solve your personal issue. if he wants to be hated, do what hes doing right now. pretty simple

astrosmaniac
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/01/rockets-suspend-royce-white-one-week-after-he-refused-d-league-assignment/

The impasse, however, is more complicated than that. According to a person with knowledge of the talks between White and the Rockets, White has refused to play or practice until the Rockets agree in writing to an addendum to his contract that he has written. That kind of addition to an NBA player contract would conflict with the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement with the players’ association.

Kyben36
01-06-2013, 07:28 PM
why does this guy get all this atention, he isnt even that good.

beans439
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
So whats the solution? theres no logical solution for this situation, he wants drs to make decisions, on what? get some meds and see if they can get you through a plane flight, if not well than i guess your **** out of luck. the whole nba isnt gonna change its ways bc this one guy cant handle what im sure other nba players have handled.

Wolfman01
01-06-2013, 09:29 PM
This guy needs to get to work and start riding the bus for real man...

homestarunner93
01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/01/rockets-suspend-royce-white-one-week-after-he-refused-d-league-assignment/

That's ****ing ridiculous. Royce White may have a mental illness, but he's just using it as an excuse at this point. Rockets need to cut him now and sue him for every single penny he made thus far as a result of that contract.

gaughan333
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
All of you are mad ...

Lmao....

Lmao

you sound like a complete moron.

salmonleg
01-07-2013, 02:49 AM
I just recently signed a contract with the local police force to work as a patrolmen in downtown Detroit even though I have intense panic attacks around firearms and patrol sirens make me pee my pants uncontrollably. My protocol calls for medical professionals to have executive authority in medical situations regarding mental health. And that is something thatís been declined. So basically Iím fighting to have that rectified. I just donít think it is OK or responsible or even logical to have Police officials to have executive authority in medical situations. I'm refusing to work at all until the protocol ensures safety.

ThaDubs
01-07-2013, 02:58 AM
I just recently signed a contract with the local police force to work as a patrolmen in downtown Detroit even though I have intense panic attacks around firearms and patrol sirens make me pee my pants uncontrollably. My protocol calls for medical professionals to have executive authority in medical situations regarding mental health. And that is something thatís been declined. So basically Iím fighting to have that rectified. I just donít think it is OK or responsible or even logical to have Police officials to have executive authority in medical situations. I'm refusing to work at all until the protocol ensures safety.

:up:

salmonleg
01-07-2013, 03:13 AM
The thing that bugs me about his argument is, in reality, no-one can make the kid do anything. This isn't a gulag in Russia. If the coach says go in the game and Royce declines no-one's going to waterboard him until he straps on the sneaks. So what does it matter to him if the coach has the final say or not. If Coach says go and Doc says no, Royce has a choice. Um. What?

FOXHOUND
01-07-2013, 03:30 AM
Didn't the Rockets already try to help him by significantly decreasing his travel by plane time? They offered to bus him to as many games as they possibly could by the schedule, if I remember correctly.

How would that not help the problem? What's the worst case in the above scenario? That he misses games because of a flight he can't take? What more can they do for him? What are these "protocols" the NBA should have in place for this situation? Does he think the NBA is going to alter its entire schedule so he can travel by bus to every game?

I read an article about his struggle in college, and how his dad drove him to every game even if that meant driving overnight to get there in time. That's a tremendous effort from his father, and I hope he's grateful for having that. What more can the Rockets do for him other than offer to bus him to as many games as the schedule will allow?

Now the situation is out of control, and he doesn't deserve to be on the NBA roster. With how the Rockets have been playing who should lose their minutes? How would that be fair?

I think this is why they sent him for assignment to the D-League, which turns out would have actually helped him because they travel by bus anyways. How does he respond? He goes home, and decides he won't play until this is sorted out "properly".

Enough of this guy, this suspension for breach of contract should lead to him being cut and the end of his NBA career. He has plenty of time to do all these shows and rant on twitter, but the man can't find a solution to at least play some games? Bah.

Theyhateme459
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Didn't the Rockets already try to help him by significantly decreasing his travel by plane time? They offered to bus him to as many games as they possibly could by the schedule, if I remember correctly.

How would that not help the problem? What's the worst case in the above scenario? That he misses games because of a flight he can't take? What more can they do for him? What are these "protocols" the NBA should have in place for this situation? Does he think the NBA is going to alter its entire schedule so he can travel by bus to every game?

I read an article about his struggle in college, and how his dad drove him to every game even if that meant driving overnight to get there in time. That's a tremendous effort from his father, and I hope he's grateful for having that. What more can the Rockets do for him other than offer to bus him to as many games as the schedule will allow?

Now the situation is out of control, and he doesn't deserve to be on the NBA roster. With how the Rockets have been playing who should lose their minutes? How would that be fair?

I think this is why they sent him for assignment to the D-League, which turns out would have actually helped him because they travel by bus anyways. How does he respond? He goes home, and decides he won't play until this is sorted out "properly".

Enough of this guy, this suspension for breach of contract should lead to him being cut and the end of his NBA career. He has plenty of time to do all these shows and rant on twitter, but the man can't find a solution to at least play some games? Bah.

I really do not believe this is about travel at all!!! The rockets worked with him earlier and made changes for him to travel in a way comfortable to him... Now it;s a new problem.... Doctors

I believe white want to choose his own doctor for the team that could make decisions in his best interest. Currently the CBA require all players to see the team doctors... Royce feels that is not a safe environment for him as these doctors will make decisions about him that might not be in his best interest...

Now debates come in on is this a cop out to being demoted to the D-League. He says it isn't, but there were reports earlier that he said he would not go so his word vs the reports.

Either way the records Have worked with him on traveling issues... FACT. If it's not one thing it's the next if he is not happy seems like.

Robbw241
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Having a mental illness doesn't change the fact that Royce White is a douchebag and will forever be a douchebag.

AIRMAR72
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Royce White is a fuking WASTE

BALLER R
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Imagine after all this he actually plays and then ends up being a buss.

Stinkyoutsider
01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
I feel bad for White because he does need help and the Rockets haven't been able to get the framework in place to come up with a protocol to help him with his problem, which is a serious problem that shouldn't be taken lightly.

White declared himself for the draft (as far as I know) so getting chosen wasn't a 0% certainty. He knew if he was drafted, he would have to travel. But I remember hearing that he gave it a shot and flew to Detroit (think it was Detroit) with the team but couldn't fly after that. So he did give it a shot and it didn't work for him...

I can't believe the Rockets? A multimillion dollar organization can't contract a panel of mental health professionals to help create a protocol? Do they think White just isn't important enough to do this? And, the Rockets also have the NBA head office to lean on. Maybe the Rockets are waiting for the NBA to come up with a protocol but either way, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet about any protocol in the works...

blahblahyoutoo
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Imagine after all this he actually plays and then ends up being a buss.

a bus? what kind of bus? yellow bus? the short bus?
or a boss?

He115ing
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I feel bad about him having an anxiety disorder but he deserves no separate protocol from the NBA. There are ways around flying. He could drive to nearby states and maybe take sleeping or antianxiety medication before going on a plane. He is getting paid millions for playing basketball, something that is just a dream for most people. With the amount of stink that White is raising and the way he is going about it I don't think he should play in the NBA at all.

Theyhateme459
01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I feel bad for White because he does need help and the Rockets haven't been able to get the framework in place to come up with a protocol to help him with his problem, which is a serious problem that shouldn't be taken lightly.

White declared himself for the draft (as far as I know) so getting chosen wasn't a 0% certainty. He knew if he was drafted, he would have to travel. But I remember hearing that he gave it a shot and flew to Detroit (think it was Detroit) with the team but couldn't fly after that. So he did give it a shot and it didn't work for him...

I can't believe the Rockets? A multimillion dollar organization can't contract a panel of mental health professionals to help create a protocol? Do they think White just isn't important enough to do this? And, the Rockets also have the NBA head office to lean on. Maybe the Rockets are waiting for the NBA to come up with a protocol but either way, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet about any protocol in the works...

I feel bad about him having an anxiety disorder but he deserves no separate protocol from the NBA. There are ways around flying. He could drive to nearby states and maybe take sleeping or antianxiety medication before going on a plane. He is getting paid millions for playing basketball, something that is just a dream for most people. With the amount of stink that White is raising and the way he is going about it I don't think he should play in the NBA at all.

This is no longer about travel.

Freakazoid
01-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Actually, White is just milking it for all it's worth. Houston has actually been quite accommodating (counselling sessions, going to some games by bus etc) but due to the CBA Houston can't make him contractually agree to take a bus or see a doctor. In the beginning, White kept saying he'll do all these things but now he's just *****ing to the media about it instead of agreeing to his end.

Anji
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
If the rockets cut him, I would give him a try on the knicks. Might just need to grow up a little more/get the right meds & support group.

The Guy has alot of talent.

SluggeR
01-07-2013, 03:45 PM
The union needs to step in and help accommodate both sides. If the kid tore his ACL the rockets would use all their resources to get him back healthy. I think it's a bad look to not exhaust all resources to help the kid deal with his mental illness. A mental illness is serious and should be treated as such. They should have been prepared for this, before they drafted the kid.

salmonleg
01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
The addendum he is demanding is prohibited by the NBA's collective bargaining agreement. A contract that basically gives his doctors the final say in anything concerning Royce as relates to the team would set a precedent that would cause crazy amounts of problems. A good lawyer could portray pretty much anything in your life as a mental health issue. What are you gonna do when players start bringing notes from their doctors saying they have to be in the starting rotation in order to be mentally healthy and "safe" (or do like Royce did and say no D league)? The fact that the Player's Union hasn't weighed in on this issue is interesting...

Theyhateme459
01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
The addendum he is demanding is prohibited by the NBA's collective bargaining agreement. A contract that basically gives his doctors the final say in anything concerning Royce as relates to the team would set a precedent that would cause crazy amounts of problems. A good lawyer could portray pretty much anything in your life as a mental health issue. What are you gonna do when players start bringing notes from their doctors saying they have to be in the starting rotation in order to be mentally healthy and "safe" (or do like Royce did and say no D league)? The fact that the Player's Union hasn't weighed in on this issue is interesting...

Exactly... this is the core issue at hand, but people keep talking about travel and travel arrangements while this is really what's keeping him from playing.. NO matter where he goes it will be the same thing as his issue is with the NBA policies not allowing him to do what he feels is best for his health and safety by having his doctors as the authoritative ones.

MonroeFAN
01-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Are you a soccer fan?

There is no such thing as anxiety. You either become a man, or you don't.

ThaDubs
01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Are you a soccer fan?

There is no such thing as anxiety. You either become a man, or you don't.

I agree with you that he needs to man the **** up and get over it, but he has anxiety disorder so it's not exactly a matter of being or not being a man. But I say he needs to man the **** up become you can overcome the disorder if you constantly face your fears head on.

MonroeFAN
01-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Anxiety disorders didn't even exist 50 years ago. It's an excuse that parents throw around to cover up the fact that they suck at parenting. It has since developed into a full blown ***** parade. Every emo kid has one, it's become the cool thing to do. The medication is prescribed at a young age, it completely warps their mind, and they become medicated messes who are unable to function in the normal world.

ThaDubs
01-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Anxiety disorders didn't even exist 50 years ago. It's an excuse that parents throw around to cover up the fact that they suck at parenting. It has since developed into a full blown ***** parade. Every emo kid has one, it's become the cool thing to do. The medication is prescribed at a young age, it completely warps their mind, and they become medicated messes who are unable to function in the normal world.

:facepalm:

aztr0
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
What a diva.

clutchfan
01-08-2013, 02:19 AM
If the rockets cut him, I would give him a try on the knicks. Might just need to grow up a little more/get the right meds & support group.

The Guy has alot of talent.

New York is the last place a player with an anxiety disorder should sign.

PraiseJesus
01-08-2013, 02:55 AM
This guy is better spoken and more intelligent than 99% of athletes ive paid attention to

If im the Rockets, I do what it takes and get him on the floor

Doogolas
01-08-2013, 05:09 AM

Yep. And AIDS is a conspiracy!

ATX
01-08-2013, 09:11 AM
New York is the last place a player with an anxiety disorder should sign.

Haha, good point. A D League team like Sioux Falls would be best.

fadahway
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Just knock him out , like what they did to B.A :clap:

Theyhateme459
01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
This guy is better spoken and more intelligent than 99% of athletes ive paid attention to

If im the Rockets, I do what it takes and get him on the floor

THEY CAN'T To do so would violate the CBA Agreement

northsider
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM

You sir have 0 ****ing clue as to what you are talking about.

50 years ago lol.

At least know what you're talking about before going on a rant about something you completely lack half a brain for.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
No, AIDS is a disease . Anxiety Disorders, or disorders in general, are a heap of non-sense. I would suggest that you guys go read up on Ivan Pavlov, who is effecitvely one of the most intelligent people in the history of the world. I 100% know what I'm talking about, and I don't need a bunch of pansies to tell me otherwise.

Go take your prozac and shut up.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Also, Dubs (or Huey Freeman), I would refrain from facepalming people.

ATL#22
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Pretty sure anxiety is a real thing

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Pretty sure people in 3rd world countries don't have anxiety disorders.

Cubby
01-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Are you stupid? Like seriously, your intelligence is in legitimate question right now after your last few posts.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
How so? Because you disagree?

The same doctors that are diagnosing people with personality and anxiety disorders are the ones who are prescribing marijuana to people who suffer from IBS.

It doesn't help that pretty much every 13 year old girl has an anxiety disorder.

Cubby
01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm sure you would know all about 3rd world countries...

Cubby
01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
How so? Because you disagree?

Because you said anxiety doesn't exist when it in fact does.

My brother is living proof of that. To say it's due to "bad parenting" is completely false when my sister and I are 100% normal. It's an insult to parents that have children with anxiety and honestly your post really pissed me off because you clearly have no idea what it's like to live with someone who could have an anxiety attack at any moment. I know what my parents went through.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I love how none of you have any facts to support your argument, and yet you continue to call me stupid. Some of you couldn't even spell your own name.

Do some research, there are as many people who support my opinion as there are who don't.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Is he the oldest brother?

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
btw, anyone... tell me one person who enjoys flying in an airplane.

Just 1. Orville Wright himself would have a difficult time admitting to that.

sep11ie
01-08-2013, 02:17 PM
I love flying.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Then you are one stone cold mofo, because it makes me very uneasy. I blame the fact that I'm ascending through the clouds going 500 MPH.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I love how none of you have any facts to support your argument, and yet you continue to call me stupid. Some of you couldn't even spell your own name.

Do some research, there are as many people who support my opinion as there are who don't.

Cause you've supplied a plethora of them.

My fav. was the part where you called people with anxiety pansies.

Solid fact checking there.

I mean we should end this cause clearly you really know what you are talking about. I mean god forbid modern science and research find out we lacked knowledge about the human mind.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Modern Science has never determined the cause of the issue, just that there could be one. My argument the entire time is that your brain works off of conditioned results. You, and your little gang of hoodlums have not said anything that would make me believe otherwise.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
I imagine people with severe phobia's is also fake. I honestly can't believe you actually think what you are saying is correct?

It's basically like you are saying humans are emotionless and don't actually have chemical imbalances which is completely false. Might as well say being happy, afraid, sad, mad are also just made up things.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm not denying that humans have emotions, and can have chemical imbalances, but I don't think it's a naturally occurring process.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Modern Science has never determined the cause of the issue, just that there could be one. My argument the entire time is that your brain works off of conditioned results. You, and your little gang of hoodlums have not said anything that would make me believe otherwise.

I don't have a gang of hoodlums nor do I care if anyone would support what I am talking about.

I actually live with pretty severe anxiety that I formed after tragic events in my life. I never had them before in my life and was completely normal. I had no reason to make them up nor do I enjoy them to be quite honest as they are pretty damn life crippling.

I am and always have been a pretty outgoing person and this overwhelming emotion has put a pretty big fork in all of that for me. Why on gods earth would I make up not wanting to go to places I used to love or having to worry about whether or not I would be able to sit through an entire dinner in a busy restaurant without feeling like I am choking and start getting dizzy.

I have not a ****ing clue why it continues to happen and sometimes I can control however other times I have 0 control. It ****ing blows and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Mind you I never took medication for it nor did I seek out help for it cause I too thought it was just my mind. Well close to a ****ing decade later I still suffer from it.

Sorry not everyone is superman.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Do you smoke a lot of marijauna?

I'm sorry to hear about life changing events that you have had to endure. I'm glad that you are trying to deal with it naturally.

Those are called hardships, and the conditioned response that it's had on your brain is causing you to not want to be social. I wouldn't call what you have a disorder, just like I wouldn't claim that a veteran of the vietnam war has a disorder.

But wait, aren't you and your sister fine? It was your brother that 'suffered' right?

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:39 PM
^Sounds like you smoke a lot of pot

hahah funny story I had to quite smoking pot because of anxiety cause it made it worse. It took any fun out of being high cause I was instead not relaxed and started worrying about every pulse twitch or beat in my body.

I LOVED smoking and that too was taking away from me cause I just no longer enjoyed the attacks it could trigger.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM

I'm sorry to hear about life changing events that you have had to endure. I hope that hasn't caused you to rely on medication, and that you are able to deal with it naturally.

Those are called hardships, and the conditioned response that it's had on your brain is causing you to not want to be social. I wouldn't call what you have a disorder, just like I wouldn't claim that a veteran of the vietnam war has anxiety.

I really could care less what anyone calls it whether its a doctor, friend, or myself. However it is something and something that is going on 10 years of a "phase". I am 27 so I am not some teenage kid who is just dealing with some tough luck and it's overwhelming me.

And yes to be quite frank after close to 9 years of just trying to tame it and figure out what would often trigger it I did start taken medication. I'll be honest it's helped like no other however if I was shown a way to stop it without taken medication I would do it without hesitation.

I don't even have to go to a doctor to tell me that something is terribly wrong with the fact I have panic attacks and it's no coincidence when I am sedated that I no longer feel them. Before medication drinking pretty much pushed aside any form of anxiety but, the hangovers increased them thus eliminating that option which isn't healthy anyways.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:47 PM
As stated call it whatever you like and believe whatever you like however I can defiantly relate to what this guy is talking about. I prob. wouldn't let it stop me from achieving my dreams but, his very well could be that much more severe then mine.

Whatever it is and however it is caused I do know for sure it is a real thing that happens and god forbid you or anyone you love ever has to deal with it.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM

I'm sorry to hear about life changing events that you have had to endure. I'm glad that you are trying to deal with it naturally.

Those are called hardships, and the conditioned response that it's had on your brain is causing you to not want to be social. I wouldn't call what you have a disorder, just like I wouldn't claim that a veteran of the vietnam war has a disorder.

But wait, aren't you and your sister fine? It was your brother that 'suffered' right?

Huh? my sister? I don't even have a brother?

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry man, you sound like a cool guy, and I really don't mean to offend you. I just simply don't believe in it. I would call that chronic stress, being overworked, perhaps it was the cause of grieving for an extended period of time... whatever chances we had of creating a blanket term for it that actually carried meaning was lost when MTV came around.

MonroeFAN
01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
so sorry, had you confused with cubby.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:56 PM
I mean that's fine to not believe in it however I promise you these "feelings" are very real.

I also acknowledge that something triggered it to this severity however it has taken a life of it's own at times and continued to progress and sometimes die down. However it's always there and always a very real problem for me.

I mean I have prob. always had some form of anxiety or problem cause even as a young kid I would get restless before testing or before any sporting events. However that was just minor stuff and something I imagine in some form or another we all deal with.

northsider
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I also don't take any offense to it other then you claiming that it's a completely made up thing by emo kids or what not cause I am anything but that and aside from my gf and mother have done a bang up job of masking it from friends and family. I would bet my life if you met me you would NEVER guess I have it as bad as I do. In fact it comes to a shock when I even tell friends the real reason I stopped smoking or why I choose to rarely go out anymore.

I pretty much accept the cards I was dealt however I never give up on trying to better myself and eliminate whatever it is that causes this. I just think it would be a terribly misguided choice if people continue to ignore this and just brush it aside as "overwhelming feelings".

YankeesR#2
01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
The problem is he isn't good enough.

If Lebron James came to the Knicks when he was a free agent and said

"I've developed this problem and I can't fly. I can play all the home games and any other games I can drive to but I can't get on a plane" do you really think they will say "No"?

and if they did, do you believe there would be no team that would sign him?

rapjuicer06
01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Dang, some people really don't understand anxiety problems

Dnovakovic099
01-08-2013, 03:40 PM

You seem like a very smart person. Do you really believe that it isn't possible for someone to develop a chemical imbalance in the brain or some sort of actual physical permanent damage to the brain that is caused by high amounts of stress?

Dnovakovic099
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM

I believe that our bodies are strong enough where no matter how bad the mental diseases are heck even some physical ones, look up people getting physical symptoms from placebo effects, are curable within. The only problem is you cannot expect people to be that mentally strong to actually be able to overcome it.

Cubbiefan8
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
He's not that good. If he was, the Rockets would have solved this a long time ago

Dnovakovic099
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I just don't understand the bombardment of the kid. He himself came out and said the Rockets where in a tough position. He himself came out and said that even with any other team he thinks he would be in the same situation. I don't understand what you guys want the kid to do? Don't declare for draft, **** which one of us would decline that much money? Plus, maybe he thought that they would actually allow him to pick his own doctors. I have not seen anywhere online stating that Royce has refused therapy. People keep claiming this throughout the thread but I don't see it anywhere.

“The reality is that it is not Houston’s fault,” White said on the program. “As much as we always want to try and blame one side or the other … they’ve been thrown into a position now where they’re forced to make things up as they go because a protocol has not been put in place for mental health up until this point." I do not see him as attacking the rockets there.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/01/06/rockets-suspend-royce-white-as-perplexing-saga-takes-another-twist/

Dnovakovic099
01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
The only way this is Royce's fault IMO is if the Rockets approached him and told him, your doctor has the final say or your medical situation, and he still refused to do it without writing. In that sense, Royce would just be being a *****. I however, think that the Rockets told him if you don't play all the games we will not pay you fully. We will give you a bus where we can but for the other games get on the plane or STFU, or you aren't going to get payed in full. He however, cannot show up to those games so if an injured player gets payed for games/practices they cannot play I do not see why Royce cannot get his full salary by just playing the games his mental disorder allows him to. The Rockets should have thought of this before they signed him. For him it was a no brainer, no **** he is going to sign a contract to make him millions...