PDA

View Full Version : I know this may be old news but NBA team in Europe?

Everymanalion
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I know this has been discussed before but its just an article I ran across...opinions? Where would the first team be? Whats the "biggest" basketball city in Europe?

Stern: 'For sure' there'll be multiple NBA teams in Europe in 20 years

By Royce Young
January 3, 2013 2:55 pm ET

The NBA could be headed across the pond. (Getty Images)

David Stern is stepping down as commissioner on Feb. 1, 2014, which will mark exactly 30 years sitting on the NBA's throne.

So within the next year or so, he's got a lot of things to do before he passes the big chair to Adam Silver. One of those things is possibly setting plans in motion to return the NBA to Seattle, something he's reportedly "determined" to do.

Another expansion idea Stern has? Taking the NBA to Europe. Though it's not something he'll likely be involved with. On SVP & Russillo, Stern acted as if it's a certainty the NBA will have a European team.

"I think so," Stern said when asked if he sees a team in Europe at some point. "I think multiple NBA international teams. Twenty years from now? For sure. In Europe. No place else. In other places I think you'll see the NBA name on leagues and other places with marketing and basketball support, but not part of the NBA as we now know it."

It might sound a little crazy, but it shouldn't. Because it almost happened already with an expansion team in London. Via the Boston Globe:

There was a time when Stern had dreams of a team or even a division in Europe, a first in American sports. He was determined to devise a way for a group of teams in London, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, and Berlin to compete with the 30 stateside NBA teams and even have a real world championship series.

Regardless of how uncomfortable the idea made fans who believe 30 teams was enough -- and regardless of how inconceivable it might be to have a team in a time zone six hours ahead of the Eastern US -- Stern was going to add the London Abbeys to the NBA.

That idea died on the operating table though, because the international economy went rotten and because there aren't any NBA-style arenas overseas.

Which is why Stern put the 20-year timetable on it. Because within that time frame, someone is probably going to build an NBA arena with luxury boxes and concessions and 20,000 seats. Once that happens, an expansion team in London or Barcelona is probably an inevitability.

The NBA is already the second-most globalized game in the world behind soccer, so it's natural to try to expand its borders. There's money to be made internationally. And building a bridge between the NBA and Euroleague would certainly be an interesting evolution.

I know what you're thinking. How is this possible? How could the Trail Blazers take a road trip to Rome on the second night of a back-to-back?

Well, consider this: A flight from New York to London is roughly seven and a half hours. A flight from New York to Los Angeles is roughly six hours. So in the same way schedule-makers set up West and East Coast road trips, it would probably be the same for European trips. It would complicate NBA travel for sure, but it's possible. Especially since we'll probably all be able to teleport in 20 years anyway.

Still, with the league coming off a lockout where the owners cried poor, doesn't it seem odd to be adding more teams, which means the pie gets split even more? There are a lot of variables that will be in play to this actually happening, one being the health of the league.

This isn't something Stern will be overseeing during his tenure. Twenty years is a long time, and a whole lot of things can change. It's something on the radar, though, and Stern seems exceedingly confident it's going to happen. So start getting your mind wrapped around the idea of an East Coast road trip including a stop in London.

Snakeyestx
01-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Honestly, I'd rather see 20 expansion teams first (10 for each conference) so individual teams don't have to face the same team 5-8 times a season, maybe once 2 or 3 times at the most to give the fans more variety when their team faces someone at home.

Seattle, Kansas City and a few others are chomping at the bit for a team, so the market is generally already out there. I doubt you'll see the Wyoming Cattlemen or the Bangor Badgers, but some of the larger cities out there could easily accomodate a new team.

Minimal
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Well if there will be NBA teams in Europe (I doubt), the first team obviously should be in London. Right? Wrong. 95% of people in the UK don't know what is basketball, they keep playing their pussyball. Placing a team in London won't be that profitable for the league. Some good cities to put NBA teams are: Madrid-Barcelona, Rome-Milan, Athens-Piraeus, Vilnius-Kaunas. The last 4 cities are just perfect fan wise, the cities are in Lithuania and Greece, where people are crazy about basketball and they have some decent modern arenas, however the countries are situated on a much longer distance than London-Madrid and the countries are in heavy economical crysis, which means not all the people will be willing to pay huge amounts of money to see NBA games.

Everymanalion
01-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I think the league should focus on improving the brand here, half the league is total and complete **** and has been for years and will continue to make stupid mistakes with their front office decisions.

Hellcrooner
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
too short sighted.

IF, the current proyect of an airplane that can put you anywhere in the world in 6 hours ( the first tests have not been positive) can be developed the league will be GLOBAL, not only Usa and Europe.

30 years from now the league could be looking something like this.

Los Angeles.
Chicago.
San Francisco.
New York.
Boston.
Phila.
Houston.
Atlanta.
Miami.
San Juan.
Mexico D.F
Rio.
Buenos Aires.
Madrid.
Barcelona.
Rome.
Paris.
Milan.
Berlin.
Amsterdam.
Moscow.
Istanbul.
Athens.
Split.
Belgrade.
Shangai.
Beijing.
Tokyo.
Hong Kong.
Kyoto.
Singapore.
Manila.
Sydney.

BKLYNpigeon
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
too short sighted.

IF, the current proyect of an airplane that can put you anywhere in the world in 6 hours ( the first tests have not been positive) can be developed the league will be GLOBAL, not only Usa and Europe.

Los Angeles.
Chicago.
San Francisco.
New York.
Boston.
Phila.
Houston.
Atlanta.
Miami.
San Juan.
Mexico D.F
Rio.
Buenos Aires.
Madrid.
Barcelona.
Rome.
Paris.
Milan.
Berlin.
Amsterdam.
Moscow.
Istanbul.
Athens.
Split.
Belgrade.
Shangai.
Beijing.
Tokyo.
Hong Kong.
Kyoto.
Singapore.
Manila.
Sydney.

haha yeah right, the NBA schedule would be 12 months long. Imagine a 7 game playoff series NY vs Bejing China.

I would imagine it would be a couple of teams in western Europe.

BKLYNpigeon
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
BTW, Royce White is shaking his head.

uprightciti
01-04-2013, 11:19 AM

lol Royce White just **** him self

LongIslandIcedZ
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I wouldnt lose any sleep over a few expansion teams in western Europe. It could actually be kind of cool.

Everymanalion
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
:clap:

He115ing
01-04-2013, 11:33 AM
This would be good for the NBA imo. Maybe merge some US teams to reduce the number of teams ( not sure if this is realistic though).

Hellcrooner
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
the line of tought is clear.

Nba is bout money.

So.

If say Milwaukee ( no harm intended, i like the team but its strugglin finantialY) is losing money and London or Madrid would MAKE money, is only logical they would want to remove some teams from u.s.a and place them in new markets with more profit.

Minimal
01-04-2013, 11:44 AM
the line of tought is clear.

Nba is bout money.

So.

If say Milwaukee ( no harm intended, i like the team but its strugglin finantialY) is losing money and London or Madrid would MAKE money, is only logical they would want to remove some teams from u.s.a and place them in new markets with more profit.
I think the best fit for that would be Charlotte lol

king4day
01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm sure teams would do their Eurotrips all at once. Play each team in Europe and then return. Same goes for the other way around. Maybe two or 3 times a year the Euro teams comes to the states and then have a slew of home/Europe games.

dalton749
01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
i think this is a pretty stupid idea nobody will want to play there. only advantage i see is that player will be much more willing to play for toronto

asandhu23
01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
London, Barcelona, Paris, Frankfurt and Rome are prob the only cities in Europe I see with a chance of NBA team in the future.

Hellcrooner
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
i think this is a pretty stupid idea nobody will want to play there. only advantage i see is that player will be much more willing to play for toronto

Yeah who would like to live in London or Paris when you can live in Cleveland ( jsut of the top off my head no pun intended), :rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
London, Barcelona, Paris, Frankfurt and Rome are prob the only cities in Europe I see with a chance of NBA team in the future.

Berlin>>> Frankfurt.

asandhu23
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM

really? london, paris, barcelona, frankfurt and rome are pretty desirable areas. European fans go crazy too.

asandhu23
01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Berlin>>> Frankfurt.

:speechless: BLASPHEMY!

Minimal
01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
A lot of ex NBA players go to play in China, whats the problem with Europe? :facepalm:Wheres T-Mac now? Obviously Europe teams will feature a lot of european players, they would be much more willing to play for European teams than for USA ones.

2-ONE-5
01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
minus well change the league name bcuz it sure wont be the National Basketball Association anymore.

this is a awful idea and i dont see the point. Soccer will always trump every other sport overseas anyway, by a lot

Snakeyestx
01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Honestly, the playoff solution would be rather simple ... if you want to talk about short-sighted people with playoff games, all you have to do is choose a neutral location to hold the playoffs and have them all there like a miniature olympics type of situation where they're all in 1 place, with the exception of the finals being hosted between the two respective cities. Obviously if the travel schedule requires them to cross the globe, the finals schedule would have to be stretched out a bit, but at least the longer season and longer playoff schedule could easily be remedied.

...about Royce White - that was pretty funny, but to be honest, by the time ANY international teams would be added in, White would already be putting on his 10-year service pin at McDonalds. :D

HowFit
01-04-2013, 11:57 AM
What is in America should stay in America. Just to show how corrupted this country can be. Very sad...

jman94
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Bad idea....soccer is the most popular sport in all of europe. Nba would have stiff competition

JasonJohnHorn
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
There would be major issues with European team in the "NBA". What they should do, is create a sister league in Europe by working out a contract with current European team, and also teams from other continents. Get teams in Asia and Europe that are established already to join under the NBA brand and make it the IBA or some $#!T like that. They play a regular 82 game season like the NBA, and it coincides witht he NBA season, they have a playoff identical to the NBA playoff at the same time, and then, after each league has a champion, those two teams play each other for the "world championship". For a long time, the NBA team will win this series and it will be a formality, but eventually the league will fill with European talent and be able to compete with NBA teams.

I think letting them keep the European rules they have is fine, and when the two teams meet in the world finals, each team will play by the rules of the home team (home court advantage deterimined in the usual ways).

There would need to be two separate drafts of course. I think it would be healthy for the European league to allow highschool age players to enter the draft, and perhaps bump the NBA age up a year, that way Stern and the NBA owners will get what they want (they don't have to invest in players who aren't NBA ready and then see them leave in free agency once they've developed into an all-star) , while also giving the European league marketable players who are future stars of the NBA. And who knows, thye might be able to keep them there for 3 or 4 seasons if the player likes it enough. Jennings already established that this is a viable route for American players.

European-league players who want to enter the NBA should enter the draft, and if they go undrafted then are free to sign with whoever they wish, though veteran contracts will be award for time played in Europe (so the rookie scale might change a bit for guys with European-league experience).

Of course the league would have to make rules abotu potential trades between the two leagues... I think having trades between the two league would be a bad idea at first, because I think most American players would be greatly opposed to being shipped to Europe, but perhaps as the European laegue fill outs, then players mightbecome more open to it.

It would take no less than two decades for the talent level to come up. There is potential all over the world, untapped potential for great basketball players (there are only 350 million people in America and they produce enough talent to fil the NBA, Europe can do the same, they have far more people, especially when you include Africa and Asia). It is simply a matter of coaching. As the sport increases in popularity, there will be more coaches who are qualified to teach the game, and they will help the potential already present in Europe and around the world develop enough to fill the league.

Of course, there is potential for central/south American teams as well... a much smaller league might be formed there who also play independantly of the other two leagues. the winner of that league might play the Euro-league champion to determine who plays the NBA champion for the world title, though I doubt there is enough interest in centeral/south America to warrant a league at this point. It might simply be better to allow a couple teams, in Mexico perhaps, to enter the NBA.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
too short sighted.

Los Angeles.
Chicago.
San Francisco.
New York.
Boston.
Phila.
Houston.
Atlanta.
Miami.
San Juan.
Mexico D.F
Rio.
Buenos Aires.
Madrid.
Barcelona.
Rome.
Paris.
Milan.
Berlin.
Amsterdam.
Moscow.
Istanbul.
Athens.
Split.
Belgrade.
Shangai.
Beijing.
Tokyo.
Hong Kong.
Kyoto.
Singapore.
Manila.
Sydney.

LUL. Too many teams over seas.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Horrible idea..... The NBA already has too many watered down teams. If anything they should get rid of some teams.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I could just imagine the scheduling.

12-21-2030

Spurs@ Barcelona

12-22-2030 Spurs @ LAL :laugh:

LAKobeBryant
01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
I don't get how it would work NBA w/ European teams. It must be a 10 month season NFL style 1 week a game? With time zone and flying back and forth. I can see someone creating their own basketball league for North America only then.

LOOTERX9
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Expansion in europe is the worst idea ever for nba. How embarrassing would it be for a team from europe to start winning titles over here in america?

Hellcrooner
01-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Expansion in europe is the worst idea ever for nba. How embarrassing would it be for a team from europe to start winning titles over here in america?

There is nothing embarrasing bout that.

mdm692
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=they+took+our+jobs&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kkbnUPy3KeaziQL8rICQBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=567&sei=l0bnUKeOKcHCigKGsYGgBA