PDA

View Full Version : Has a team ever fired 2 coaches in season? And will the Lakers do it this year?

VicTheWizard
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I was just wondering if a team has ever done that, and if you think the Lakers will this season?

Everymanalion
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
God I wish, I am a Knicks fan, but I hate D'antoni, he should be an asst. coach. Not Head.

Mayweather&NYK
01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
that would be epic

oG $wank.
01-03-2013, 11:14 PM
i hope it does happen

ball4reel
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
To Much money owed to both coach's to fire 2 in the same yr and hire a 3rd.

InRoseWeTrust
01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
To Much money owed to both coach's to fire 2 in the same yr and hire a 3rd.

Bingo. No way are they going to pay 3 coaches going forward.

tripleplay2007
01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Anyone know Dantoni's record as Lakers Head Coach?

Edit* He's 10-11 so far. Smh.

KniCks4LiFe
01-03-2013, 11:23 PM
It needs to happen. I'm not a Lakers fan but D'Antoni w/ that roster is not going to survive. And when I say w/ that roster, I don't mean they stink, I mean he will never adjust it.

His style is opposite of Avery Johnson. Push the ball by all means necessary. Forget you have post options in Howard and Gasol. Forget Kobe is 38 or 39 yrs. old, forget Artest can't run like that anymore. This is a coach that will purposely allow the opposition to score a layup just so his PG can go the other way and catch the defense the majority of the time back peddeling on their heels, playing at their pace which is an endless windsprint, running after long rebounds, playing a pick n'roll, chasing the ball all over the court. So when you see LAL do these 15-4 runs and wonder why is it still a 3 possession game for the other team, it's b/c in order for them go on a 15-4 run, after the run and if a team plays transistion ball vs them, they will likely give up 9-0 run or catch the players winded and not set, fouling them giving up free points back.

Personally I think D'Antoni was exposed in NY. He got mistreated, but exposed. Is his offense real, yes. Is his attention to not playing defense more real. Absolutely.

ManRam
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Not sure if it ever has, but if there is a team to do it, it's LA. I doubt it does happen though, for financial reasons.

I was pretty adamant about my opinion that Mike D was not an upgrade over Mike Brown at the time of the hire...and that's all with the fact that Mike Brown was a TERRIBLE hire in the first place. The offense was going to figure itself out (and it hasn't been a big problem). The team's problems are in areas that Mike D really isn't terribly qualified to be fixing. He is detrimental in regards to defense and he is no less a "players' coach" than Mike Brown was...and that's not a good thing.

We'll see what happens. The Lakers have shown they aren't too patient (nor should they be).

Avenged
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
I hope not.

Mike D'Antoni is not the Lakers problem. People need to stop blaming him for the Lakers lack of effort and energy.

ManRam
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
I hope not.

Mike D'Antoni is not the Lakers problem. People need to start blaming him for the Lakers lack of effort and energy.

It was a lateral hire, and that's why I thought it was so foolish to fire Brown, especially since all they ended up doing was bringing in D'Antoni.

He might not be the problem, or even a large part of the problem, but I don't see how he's helping much. If the Lakers can't play with effort and energy (something we say super early on), then why bring in a guy who really isn't known to be a rah-rah/motivational guy?

Lateral hire...and that's why it was a bad one.

xxplayerxx23
01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Not sure if it has happened, but it shouldn't. Mike isn't the problem, people blame coaches, he is 10-11 relax its 21 games. Its not like they were doing good when he wasn't there. The team overal isn't a good fit, but Nash running the offense helps. They will be fine IMO.

JasonJohnHorn
01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
They have the talent to win it all. A 10-11 record is unacceptable. That is not even enough to get into the playoffs. If this keeps up all year the team will be in the lottery and Phoenix will get there pick.

LAL needs to do something now. Maybe give 'Antoni 5-10 more games, but seriously, there is so much talent on this roster.

Anybody who says the Lakers are not a good fit, or that they don't have the talent, hasn't looked at this roster. The coach is supposed to oragnise and motivate the players, and run the plays that are best suited to the team's personal. 'Antoni is not doing any of these things. His rotations are awful (why is Jamison not getting any minutes? Why did Hill get DNPs?), his defence is terrible, and his offense, though effective in PHO was not in NY and is not in LA.

Not the right coach for the job. I'm not saying that Phil Jackson was, I actually think that Jerry Sloan was the best fit for this roster, but there were better options than 'Antoni (McMillen, Dunleavy, Jackson, Larry Brown, Jerry Sloan, hell, even FLip Suanders would have been better than 'Antoni).

LAL should have taken more time to look at what options they had at head coach. Bickerstaff was dong a great job on an interm basis and it would have been wise to let him run the team for a couple of weeks and really spend some time looking for the next head coach instead of rushing into it.

Right now, Bickerstaff has the best record among the three guys who have coached LAL this season.

MonroeFAN
01-04-2013, 08:34 AM
I feel like this has happened before.

Has an interim coach ever been replaced mid season?

Sinattle
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Should have just paid Pjax instead

Hellcrooner
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
If they can trade Pau for Dantonis system Pieces before deadline he may survive.

If not, lakers NEED to FIRE his as and get a more fitting coach.

BALLER R
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
one or two trades happen before D'antoni is fired

YoungOne
01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I like them suck with this roster+coach :)

sp1derm00
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Haha, Pau for Kawhi Leonard. Who says no?

Kawhi would be a good piece for the Lakers moving forward. Young, athletic, and a good defensive player.

Pau would put the Spurs over the top this season. Pop would know how to use Timmy and Pau together.

TheIlladelph16
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Haha, Pau for Kawhi Leonard. Who says no?

Kawhi would be a good piece for the Lakers moving forward. Young, athletic, and a good defensive player.

Pau would put the Spurs over the top this season. Pop would know how to use Timmy and Pau together.

Pretty sure Pop has said that Leonard is going to be the centerpiece moving forward after their big 3 retire, so I find it hard to believe he would trade for Pau. If I was him, there is no way I'm doing that deal.

CityofTreez
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Sac Kings fired Theus, and then ended up firing Kenny Natt once the season ended.

So, yes. We did the unthinkable.