PDA

View Full Version : League Pass commentators Best / Worst

the_antz_nest
01-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before. But for my first thread, not sure if this is thread worthy but i couldnt hold it in anymore. i live in london so no games are blacked out hence i'm watching Boston v Memphis and the Home Commentator (not sure of his name...) IS THE WORST! he is so bias its incredible. complains when anything goes against boston.

does this annoy Anyone else? or am i being too picky. some teams are better than others. I think it was 1 of the bobcats fellas calling the game that aint that great either.

worst i have come across remember
-celtics
-bobcats
-clippers.

best-
knicks (i like clyde)
spurs
GSW

SugeKnight
01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
The Kings announcers are terrible. I like the Warriors announcers but I might just be ignoring their homerism

the_antz_nest
01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
The Kings announcers are terrible. I like the Warriors announcers but I might just be ignoring their homerism

Yeah for sure, good call. The kings guys are terrible as well.

i expect them all to be slightly bias, but sometimes it seems like they're not even watching same game. lol

Chronz
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Not when Walton is around

wizardsfan3
01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Jazz and Nuggets are terrible too.

D-Leethal
01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before. But for my first thread, not sure if this is thread worthy but i couldnt hold it in anymore. i live in london so no games are blacked out hence i'm watching Boston v Memphis and the Home Commentator (not sure of his name...) IS THE WORST! he is so bias its incredible. complains when anything goes against boston.

does this annoy Anyone else? or am i being too picky. some teams are better than others. I think it was 1 of the bobcats fellas calling the game that aint that great either.

worst i have come across remember
-celtics
-bobcats
-clippers.

best-
knicks (i like clyde)
spurs
GSW

Heinsohn is the biggest homer there is. I actually like the C's but can't stand watching that broadcast. The Heat dudes are annoying as **** too.....'KAboom'. I enjoy watching Spurs but Sean Elliot is sort of like Heinsohn with homerism.

I like the dude who does Grizzlies games. I appreciate Knicks broadcast for at least being unbiased, and quite honestly usually more anti-Knick than anything. Nets are the same way. They treat it like a pro broadcast and aren't there to be cheerleaders.

Guys who do Suns games are very fair too.

HYFR
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Boston has the worst.
The spurs have a nice broadcast team

rocket
01-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Anyone who has Marv Albert

iFYouSeekAmy
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Good thread. Always thought about asking this as well.

I used to dislike the Warriors' broadcasting group for being bias and complaining but I come to appreciate them a lot more considering that other team's commentators are A LOT worse. It definitely grew on me, but i don't mind it as much. I'm too glued into the game to worry about what the commentators have to say.

Chronz
Wait, you like Clyde?

EDIT: NVM, I didnt read the NY part. Hes definitely the best

CaptainClutch
Ian Eagle anyone?

the_antz_nest
They treat it like a pro broadcast and aren't there to be cheerleaders.

yeh great call. couldn't of said it better.

I kinda feel for someone who is new to the sport/league and have to put up with these guys. They're not the most educational regarding the game.

Side note: Did any have the background "tv technicians" accidentally mic'd up at the start of the season.

could hear these guys working/having convos with their colleagues. I remember at fella for rockets swearing when patrick patterson missed a corner jumper. surprised nba tv didn't get on top of it sooner as it lasted a while (4-5 games)

D-Leethal
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
yeh great call. couldn't of said it better.

I kinda feel for someone who is new to the sport/league and have to put up with these guys. They're not the most educational regarding the game.

Side note: Did any have the background "tv technicians" accidentally mic'd up at the start of the season.

could hear these guys working/having convos with their colleagues. I remember at fella for rockets swearing when patrick patterson missed a corner jumper. surprised nba tv didn't get on top of it sooner as it lasted a while (4-5 games)

Pretty sure Drexler does HOU games, and he's another one of the cheerleaders.

the_antz_nest
01-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Wait, you like Clyde?

EDIT: NVM, I didnt read the NY part. Hes definitely the best

Yep. he seems to kinda make fun of the players when they make a mistake. Always in good taste though. When its clyde and marv its sports boardcasting at its finest.

Different Sport but (MMA) Joe Rogan is great. Would make a Very nice addition to any team. wont happen ever tho.. lol

Victimize
01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Jazz are the worst. Matt Harpring is the worst commentator I have heard on league pass.

lakers4sho
01-02-2013, 11:06 PM
beeeeeeeennnnngggooooooooooo

so annoying

SeoulBeatz
01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Best:

1) Nets: Really like Ian Eagle and Fratello's input. Really knowledgeable
2) Sixers: Being a homer, but Zumoff is one of the greats and Malik Rose is entertaining as hell
3) Knicks: All I have to say is "wheeling and dealing", "spinning and winning", "wishing and swishing", and "neophite".
4) Suns: Unbiased tandem and knowledgeable.
5) Lakers: Same as above.

Worst:

1) Celtics: It's o.k to have homerism in broadcasts, but when you think every call is against you (I'm looking at YOU heinson) you just need to shut up.
2) Heat: Smart commentary, but could you show a little more enthusiasm when you have the most exciting team in the league?

Robbw241
01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Celtics worst in all of sports all time.

Shortys4711
01-02-2013, 11:31 PM
The guys in Portland **** me of bad. They are so biased its not funny.

JNoel
01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Best:

1) Nets: Really like Ian Eagle and Fratello's input. Really knowledgeable
2) Sixers: Being a homer, but Zumoff is one of the greats and Malik Rose is entertaining as hell
3) Knicks: All I have to say is "wheeling and dealing", "spinning and winning", "wishing and swishing", and "neophite".
4) Suns: Unbiased tandem and knowledgeable.
5) Lakers: Same as above.

Worst:

1) Celtics: It's o.k to have homerism in broadcasts, but when you think every call is against you (I'm looking at YOU heinson) you just need to shut up.
2) Heat: Smart commentary, but could you show a little more enthusiasm when you have the most exciting team in the league?

No offense, but you have clearly not watched enough Heat games stating this.
They are actually one of the more enthusiastic commentators in the game, as I hear it each and every Heat game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tLvO5HlWSFA

SportsFanatic10
01-02-2013, 11:39 PM
the bulls and celtics ones are just pure homer garbage.

SeoulBeatz
01-02-2013, 11:50 PM
No offense, but you have clearly not watched enough Heat games stating this.
They are actually one of the more enthusiastic commentators in the game, as I hear it each and every Heat game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tLvO5HlWSFA

none taken. only seen 10 or so heat games with their commentary, but every time they underwhelm me with their "kaboom" catchphrases. i don't know, something's just off with them. They're smart and unbiased though, so it's not like their bad commentators.

97NYer
01-03-2013, 12:07 AM
The Knicks broadcasters are very critical of the Knicks, and Breen seems to get excited when when other teams hit big shots, probably because he also does the big national TV games where you have to be neutral.

mjt20mik
01-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Boston is the worst. Tommy has to be the stupidest, most ill informed announcer ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYkMe_-L84M

MrfadeawayJB
01-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I usually just watch grizz commentators or national telecasts, so i dont have too much to say about it. I love the grizz commentators, of course they are a bit bias (being hired by the grizzlies) but they call it like they see it and always have good things to say about other teams players

Gators123
01-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Stacey King is TERRIBLE.

tripleplay2007
01-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Suns have an aweful duo, I was watching the Thunder/Suns game the other night and this deep voiced woman commentator went on a rant of how Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook are the best duo in the league and how they remind her of Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I'm a Thunder fan but wtf really? Then she started ranting about how good of a distribute Russell Westbrook is. The guy who was commentating on the game with her was just dead silent each time she said something stupid. I figured he was giving her the stink eye lmao.

JLynn943
01-03-2013, 12:56 AM
The guys in Portland **** me of bad. They are so biased its not funny.

Agreed. They're awful. I almost always end up muting them because it's distracting how biased and terrible they are. The Clippers' and Celtics' ones are pretty bad as well.

As for good ones:
Kings: I know that I'm just biased, but I like Grant and Jerry even if they are really boring. But, when Walton is there it's great.
76ers: Malik is weird and in turn entertaining
Heat: I randomly watched a Heat game and had no idea which team's commentators I was listening to. If you can be that unbiased and make intelligent commentary, that's impressive.
Lakers: They're a little biased, but in general they're pretty fair and give credit to and talk about the other teams a good amount.

There are tons that I just haven't heard enough to make an opinion on.

dhopisthename
01-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Jazz are the worst. Matt Harpring is the worst commentator I have heard on league pass.

yeah he is bad, but the celtics group is really bad. For a player though he doesn't know a whole lot about the game. sometimes he has good insight, but often not. Plus he is a huge homer.

NoahH
01-03-2013, 01:55 AM
It's so true, since League Pass uses one team's stream and commentators theyre always super based.

It's best seen here:

Trailblazers announcers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9WZi5w1JTo
Bobcats announcers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpMLiUTflhU

See how one set complains about it being a charge while the other enjoys the dunk.

Sadds The Gr8
01-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Clippers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

because of Ralph Lawler. SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM DUNK!

worst is the Celtics and Spurs. The bias is ****in ridiculous

showtym24
01-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Jazz, blazers, rockets.

Blitzace137
01-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Good
Spurs
Knicks
Hawks

Bad
Cleveland is one of the worst
Rockets are pretty bad

DanG
01-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Lakers, Warriors, Knicks and Heat are pretty good

Homers: Jazz, Nuggets, Clippers

YoungOne
01-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Ian Eagle anyone?

bucket! he is great :)

Monta is beast
01-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Clippers, Celtics, Jazz, and the Trail Blazers are the worst. The Clippers announcers sound extremely old, and there homers to the death. Celtics, :facepalm:. Jazz announcers are just boring af.

Monta is beast
01-03-2013, 06:47 AM
The Nets have the best imo though. There about as fair as it gets, Warriors have a solid crew with Bob Fitzgerald, Jim Barnett, and Ric Bucher as a sideline reporter.

Teeboy1487
01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
The Warriors commentators are the best to me. They are fair, excite their fans, and are knowledgeable.

The Portland guys are the worse by far. I can't stand them at all.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm surprised some people are listing the Spurs as "good".

Bill Land and Sean Elliott are pretty knowledgeable, but Sean is a HUGEEEEE homer. :lol: Of course I don't mind but I would think that would be annoying to other teams fans.

For me the worst are the Lakers, Heat, Jazz, Suns, and Thunder.

Manimal
01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
The Nets announcers are the best. None are even close in terms of being unbiased and analyzing a game tactically. Fratello is top notch.

The worst:
Clippers
Jazz
Portland

LGhost
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
The Cavaliers announcers are annoying as ****... The old black guy talks a lot of **** about other teams and his "Deep in the qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq" thing sounds robotic and annoying

I get stuck with their broadcasting every time the Bulls play them

joeystats
01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Ka--Boom

D-Leethal
01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I usually just watch grizz commentators or national telecasts, so i dont have too much to say about it. I love the grizz commentators, of course they are a bit bias (being hired by the grizzlies) but they call it like they see it and always have good things to say about other teams players

Whos the color commentator for the Grizz? I liked what he had to say the few games I watched of them.

Bill Land and Sean Elliott are pretty knowledgeable, but Sean is a HUGEEEEE homer. :lol: Of course I don't mind but I would think that would be annoying to other teams fans.

Sean at times can give good insight but is such a homer. Spurs are second fav team and I watch a bunch of their games but its tough to bear at times. I know its nitpicking, but the fact that he constantly calls Duncan 'Timmy' like they are out for a beer or some **** really bothers me. He should act like a pro not like the home teams best friend.

D-Leethal
01-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Whos the color commentator for the Grizz? I liked what he had to say the few games I watched of them.

Sean at times can give good insight but is such a homer. Spurs are second fav team and I watch a bunch of their games but its tough to bear at times. I know its nitpicking, but the fact that he constantly calls Duncan 'Timmy' like they are out for a beer or some **** really bothers me. He should act like a pro not like the home teams best friend.

He often tends to never give the opposition any credit, and if Spurs are getting outplayed, its always because the Spurs are sleepwalking not because the other team is making life difficult.

ee
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
After watching the thunder last night, they have to be one of the worst.....Everything is the opposing teams fault, they never call out their own..And they're halftime broadcast were two females telling people that do not worry being down 16 because the nets have the worst 2nd half offense...I don't ever hear any broadcast saying there's nothing to worry about when being down 16 at the half.....

Best would be the heat IMO, these guys really give their opposing team fair credit....Worst would the be Celtics...

Nets are alright too I think, Ian Eagle, Gregg Anthony, Czar really gives it to the other team, even use their highlights as play of the game...

mzgrizz
01-03-2013, 03:04 PM

He often tends to never give the opposition any credit, and if Spurs are getting outplayed, its always because the Spurs are sleepwalking not because the other team is making life difficult.

Color is Brevin Knight or Sean Tuohy. Play by play is my buddy Pete Pranica.
They do seem to call a pretty fair game. Any paid dude should favor the home team some anyway.
Tommy Heinsohn sucked as a college announcer years ago and hasn't changed much in all those years.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Jazz and Nuggets are terrible too.

I just listened to the Jazz last night, they are really bad.

torocan
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
I really like the Spurs commentators. It's nice to have commentators that actually break down the plays properly instead of just cheering all the time.

The Celtics commentators are pretty awful. :(

D-Leethal
01-03-2013, 05:53 PM
I really like the Spurs commentators. It's nice to have commentators that actually break down the plays properly instead of just cheering all the time.

The Celtics commentators are pretty awful. :(

I think the Spurs do a nice job of breaking down the action but the homer bias is one of the worst IMO.

JEDean89
01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
the boston accent is so autrocious i can only listen to boston home league pass games on mute.

tapajafri
01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah for sure, good call. The kings guys are terrible as well.

i expect them all to be slightly bias, but sometimes it seems like they're not even watching same game. lol

huh? The kings announcers are known to be some of the best in the league, as well as some of the least biased. The warriors announcers, along with the kings announcers, are some of the best.

2-ONE-5
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Mark Zumoff and Malik Rose are great in Philly. Zumoff is one of the best in all of sports

poleandreel
01-03-2013, 08:55 PM
When I watched the Okc-Hawks game, Wilkins said "We'll take that every time, he can't make that" every single time Ibaka took a jump shot.

Last time I checked, Ibaka was in the top 5 in midrange shooting % and also in the top 5 in overall fg%. What a ****** Wilkins is.

thedfactor
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
The Spurs with Sean Elliott are extremely biased and hard to listen to.

The Portland Mikes are bad as well.

Definitely agree with the dislike for Matt Harpring and Jazz announcers.

I like Golden State, Knicks and my Mavs broadcast teams

ManRam
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Besides the obvious ones stated (Boston, Elliot/Harping/King, etc.), I think Detroit's are awful.

I know no one ever watches them any more, but does anyone have thoughts on Orlando's. I genuinely (and I tend to not be biased with this type of ****) think they are as level headed and non-homerish as it gets.

Sactown
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
I like the Kings the best, they blast our team more than any other team, which I like, since I can't stand when announcers of other teams blast only the other team.. Like Boston were calling the Kings a trash team, even when we were up by like 20 lol...

Also I like our announcers since they do admit if we got away with on, which I don't see other announcers do..

I like:

GSW
Kings

I hate:

Boston
Utah