PDA

View Full Version : Amare says he was never coached defense

waveycrockett
01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Amar'e Stoudemire*is poor at defense. This is pretty widely accepted, and his return Tuesday night did nothing to improve that perception. And, as is the norm with Stoudemire when the heat rises on his backside, he's pinning his problems in rotation and scheme execution on his fomer coach, Mike D'Antoni.

From ESPN NY:"I think just having a defensive coach for the first time in my career is going to help," he said. "I've never been taught defense in my whole career, so to now have a coach that actually teaches defense and teaches strategies, and knows positioning and posture, how to guard different plays, it's going to be helpful. I'm going to take it as a challenge, and I'm going to accept the challenge and try to improve as a player."via*Amare: Ive never been taught defense -*Knicks*Blog - ESPN New York.Bigs tend to develop defensively later in their careers, starting around age 27. But Stoudemire is 30.

That ship has sailed for the most part. So whatever improvement Stoudemire's hoping for is going to have to be incremental. He can become non-hurtful for the team defensively. He can be a zero-impact defensive player. But that's about as good as he can hope for.Meanwhile, tossing D'Antoni, who has been the only coach to bring him to All-Star status, under the bus, isn't a great look. D'Antoni has never made it a priority on the defensive end, that's pretty apparent.

But if D'Antoni literally never coached defense, his teams would never sport an above-average or even average ranking.The 7-Seconds-or-Less Suns were an average defensive team. Last year's Knicks team was actually better defensively when D'Antoni was head coach versus when Mike Woodson took over. And this year, the Lakers have the seventh-best defense in points per 100 possessions, just three spots behind the Knicks.At some point it's time for Stoudemire to just say that he needs to improve on his own, that he needs to make it a priority, and that it's not on anyone else to make him a good defender. After that it's just whether that's a task he can pull of at age 30.Tags:*Stoudemire,Amar'e,*New York Knicks,*NBA

Excuses or will he be a defensive force now under Woodson??

jsimms92
01-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Your very tuned in to everything knick related for a nets fan

waveycrockett
01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Your very tuned in to everything knick related for a nets fan
What does that got to do with amare's defense?

AndyfromNeptune
01-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Stoudemire just lacks the awareness to be a good defender.

That is fixable.

More-Than-Most
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Its shows.

Enzo
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Paragraphs are your friend. My eyes are bleeding attempting to read that.

Amare will never be a great defender but his comments make sense since D'Antoni has been his coach his entire NBA career. Woodson got on his case a few times last night and I'm sure he will improve under Woody's tutelage.

Also keep in mind that last night was his first game back and he was sluggish both offensively and defensively. He even said in a post game interview that everything felt like it was going on 100 mph out there.

kozelkid
01-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Old news.

Seems like you're trying to deflect attention from Deron Williams. :laugh2:

netsgiantsyanks
01-02-2013, 08:59 PM
What does that got to do with amare's defense?

nice dodge. :laugh2:

SportsFanatic10
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
this is nothing more then an excuse. defense is mainly about effort and he just doesn't care enough on that end of the court.

Chronz
01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Didn't he say this years ago?

Becks2307
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Woodson called him out repeatedly last night, looked like a rookie getting scolded out there. I think he'll become at least serviceable out there eventually.

Patrick Ewing33
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Woodson nailed defense is Anthonys head. He will nail it in Amar'es head. He will be fine.

xxplayerxx23
01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
How many times is this thread ganna be posted on psd? Third time since last year when he said it :pity:

xxplayerxx23
01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Woodson nailed defense is Anthonys head. He will nail it in Amar'es head. He will be fine.

He will never be fine on defense

yanksrock
01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Deron said too much playing wore him down.

Excuses or a little rest will cure everything?

GiantsSwaGG
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Didn't he say this years ago?

Wavey mad his Nets suck and that a RECENT quote from Deron was made into a thread and made his franchise look even more stupid

NYJ - NYY
01-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Hahahahahhahahahaha waveycocket a real hamster

effen5
01-02-2013, 09:27 PM
this is nothing more then an excuse. defense is mainly about effort and he just doesn't care enough on that end of the court.

This.

Look at the Bulls, lot of players with lack of talent but all effort and still are one of the best defensive teams in the league.

29$JerZ
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
He has said this before in the past, it is what it is.
Knicks need him to be decent defensively, we aren't hoping for any miracles. Even decent defense is a bit of a stretch

Hawkeye15
01-02-2013, 09:50 PM
he said this same crap like 6 years ago if I remember correctly. Um, Amare, you just don't like playing defense. Get over it.

WAYNEBO
01-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Wavey and DMF are the same troll. She has such a Jr. Varsity complex about the Knicks, she'll post any moronic sh|t to get attention.

Enzo
01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Knicks need him to be decent defensively, we aren't hoping for any miracles. Even decent defense is a bit of a stretch

That sig is hilarious. :laugh2:

pd1dish
01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
i dont really think its something you coach. half of it is effort and the other half is just your natural ability. it can be improved but theres a ceiling. some guys have it and others dont. like 3-point shooting. you can coach someones shooting mechanics and improve their shooting a little bit, but everyone has a potential. Amare's, imo, is not very high. i think he lacks the basketball knowledge and effort.

LOOTERX9
01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
amare is useless at this point.. he may need to just retire

AddiX
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Amare is full of ish and always has been.

You guys remember remember when he got to new York and started running around claiming he was fcking Jewish, and he took it so far he even went to jerusalem and tweeted about it like he was fcking Christopher Columbus of the holy land?

There is nothing this guy has to say that anyone needs to listen to, as a Knicks fan I hate him w a passion.

waveycrockett
01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Amare is full of ish and always has been.

You guys remember remember when he got to new York and started running around claiming he was fcking Jewish, and he took it so far he even went to jerusalem and tweeted about it like he was fcking Christopher Columbus of the holy land?

There is nothing this guy has to say that anyone needs to listen to, as a Knicks fan I hate him w a passion.

LMAO you are awesome!!! I remember that.

http://momentmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/3.jpg

salmonleg
01-03-2013, 02:15 AM
I like Amare but he's full of it. I remember him saying the exact same thing when he first got to NY. Everytime he tries to turn over a new leaf he pulls that line out but when push comes to shove it's the same old Amare, all O no D.

oak2455
01-03-2013, 02:25 AM

Great sig!!!!! Truth in pencil😀

JasonJohnHorn
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
I was going to say, that BS, because every college coach coaches defence, but then I realized, Amare didn go to college. lol

Still, there is no way he's never been coached on defence. I mean, even in highschool coaches focus on that. And Amare has displayed defensive abilities in the past. His first five or six seasons he was averaging a block and a steal a game, so he has the tools to succeed. He's just got to work on rotations and such, and team defence. I saw a couple highlights where Amare lost his man in his first game back, and it was just a matter of him making sure he knows where his guy is and that he's following him. I think with the proper coaching he can be efficient on defence. But that said, he's been in practice for a couple weeks now, he should have some of this stuff down by now.

nycericanguy
01-03-2013, 10:03 AM

If there was a PSD espy's award... i'd nominate this for SIG OF THE YEAR.

nycericanguy
01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
So basically Waveycrockett is like the Knick paparazzi looking for anti knick articles, and then we have knick fans making anti BK threads...lol... ahh the NBA forum

Hellcrooner
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Please, Mitch dont do it, dont do it, dont do it, No matter how much Dantoni comes crying at your doors at night.

DONT DO IT:

JesusNYY_Savior
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
This story is written ever year

Rockice_8
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Knicks fans won't stop making Nets threads and Nets fans won't stop making Knicks threads. It's getting annoying.

He never complined when D'Antoni was getting him a 100 million dollar contract. Lack of effort has nothing to do with coaching.

strahan92osi72
01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Who has Amare's coach been for most of his career? Not making excuses but there is truth to what Amare's saying.

Steelers23_06
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Who has Amare's coach been for most of his career? Not making excuses but there is truth to what Amare's saying.

That's what I'm saying. I thought we all knew dantoni didn't coach defense?

strahan92osi72
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
That's what I'm saying. I thought we all knew dantoni didn't coach defense?

It seems like ever since he joined the Lakers the truth about Antoni has been masked, particularly by LA fans.

D-Leethal
01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Where did this notion that defense is effort and only effort come from? Its pretty freakin' stupid. Defense is just as much about schemes, skill level, and physical abilities as it is effort. Amare's defensive problems start with kindergarden fundamentals and defensive slides and defensive stance. His awareness is worst in the NBA. Its way more than effort with him. With guys like Melo and JR, all it was was effort. Amare's defensive issues run way deeper.

blahblahyoutoo
01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
so in middle school, high school, college he was never taught to play D?
i never played organize ball and even I know positioning, boxing out, staying with my man.

either he's making excuses, or he's just plain stupid or has ADD. playing defense is pretty instinctive IMO. you don't need to know defensive sets to not lose your man on cuts.