PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams: Constant playing has worn me down!

GiantsSwaGG
01-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Deron Williams was unimpressive Monday against Tony Parker and the Spurs — he was 3-of-11 shooting, finishing with eight points, one assist and he was a -35 in a game the Nets lost by 31.
It really fits with a season where he is shooting 39.9 percent overall, 30 percent from three and has a PER five points below his last season in Utah.
What is going on? Williams has a series of nagging injuries (particularly a wrist injury) and GM Billy King suggested that playing two straight years — going to Turkey during the lockout then winning gold with Team USA at the London Olympics this summer — has taken its toll on his body. Williams basically agreed with that talking to the New York Daily News.
“I didn’t take any time off. After last season, I never stopped working out. After the Olympics, the day I got back I worked out the next morning,” Williams said. “I thought it was the best thing to do, and now looking back, it probably would have been smarter to take some time off and get a little bit of rest, especially on my legs, and my ankles in general.
“I took a lot of pounding over the last year because even though we had a shortened season, I was over in Istanbul, so I haven’t had a break since before then. I felt like I could handle it, and at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. I didn’t want to get out of shape. I wanted to just keep going.”
To which a lot of Nets fans, as well as Nets ownership, would say “tough cookies.” (Well, they wouldn’t say cookies but I can’t print the word they would use.)
He chose to play in Turkey and with Team USA. He has a brand new max deal. While maybe the Nets should try and find a way to get him a little rest, Williams is lying in a bed he made.
The Nets are a long ways from good and no coach — not Phil Jackson, not anyone — turns this roster into a contender. But the first job for the new coach, whoever it ends up being, is to get Williams turned around. Good luck with that.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/deron-williams-says-two-years-of-constant-playing-may-have-worn-him-down/

Does he have a point or is this another excuse?

Gators123
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Man up.

torocan
01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
This is feeling like an endless parade of excuses...

-Not enough good players
-Nagging injuries
-Wrong system
-Didn't rest enough during the off season

Deron should just shut up, take time off to heal up if he needs it, then shut up and ball.

3 years of sub-par performance and a crappy record for a gazillion dollars, the last thing Prokhorov or the Nets fan base want to hear is another "explanation".

Bob_at_york
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/deron-williams-says-two-years-of-constant-playing-may-have-worn-him-down/

I am sure it was quite a grind and he probably should have taken off some time. But at the same time, other players did the same sort of thing and they haven't had the same issues. All he can do is rest a bit this summer and see if he can bounce back next season.

BALLER R
01-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Excuses because most of the guys on the Olympic team are having a good season. some of them seems to be more gym rats than even Williams. So I don't buy that. Maybe he's just injured and never really healed right then that I would agree on.

justinnum1
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
dwill is a *****

rpgmaster86
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
TRUE! Like kobe and melo both played in the olympics and Lebron and durant each played till june with little to no rest and thru the olympics and all 4 are in the top 5 in scoring ...Shut it with the excuses deron!

oak2455
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
I think he's a good player to see him crumble like this is sad .... Hope he comes back

GunFactor187
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
He should go back to Turkey.

Chronz
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Hes starting to remind me of Tmac as he declined, only less honest.

gwrighter
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Excuses because most of the guys on the Olympic team are having a good season. some of them seems to be more gym rats than even Williams. So I don't buy that. Maybe he's just injured and never really healed right then that I would agree on.

He has what the TNT crew would call fat cat syndrome. Except he didn't win, he just has gotten paid and has lost motivation. Its easy to tell that his conditioning is not what it once was. He lost the stroke on his jump shot as well.

JasonJohnHorn
01-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I can't get behind that. I do believe that playing through summers can potentially impact your body and shorten your career. I mean, the body is like a machine, so just as a car may last 250 000 kms before needing a new engine or transmission, the body's joints and such probably have a life span as well, so just as driving a car 50 000 kms a year instead of 20 will shorten the engine's life expectancy, I believe the body can give out with excessive use.

The thing is, the really good players, are always working out in the off season. Karl Malone, for instance, was notorious for his cardio work outs in the summer, and he played at an all-star level until he retired at 41. So, when I see Gasol doesn't have the same steam he used to, I think, he's the kind of guy who plays for the national team every offseason, he's been putting a lot of kms on his body. I can see him being done by 35 instead in his late 30's like some NBA big men, and maybe Karl Malone was just an exception being able to last that long.

But we aren't talking about a guy on the wrong side of 30. We aren't talking about Steve Nash or Jason Kidd here, we are talking about D-Will. He's 28 years old? Tony Parker and Dirk and Manu, they've all played through the offseasons with their respective national teams and I didn't see any of them suffer for it in the NBA.

I mean, how many other guys were on Team USA this past summer and are still playing like All-Stars?

And D-Will's level of play has been going down since he left Utah. This is a trend.

Yes, D-Will has a wrist injury that he's been playing through. I get it. But there is something else going on here and he needs to get that $#!T straightened out. He' got a max deal. There are expectations that come with that.

Just seems that D-Will has a lot of excuses lately. The guy was one of my favorite players a couple years ago, and I was really hopeful that now that he had a healthy team around him with quality players, that he would excel like CP3 and take this team into contention, but more and more I'm just starting to think that his high level of play was perhaps a result of really good coaching.

PleaseBeNice
01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Excuses. If something isnt working, pin it on something else rather than your actually play. Nice.

Cal827
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Boo, ****ing, Hoo.

Robbw241
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
He has a point but it's his own damn fault. He's the one that wanted to play in Turkey and he wanted to play in the Olympics. This is what happens when you play for 2 years straight. He's not very bright.

Slug3
01-02-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm tired of this guy and his endless excuses. Lebron played a lot last year going deep in the playoffs and the Olympics. I remember Kobe when his team won 2 of 3 and all the deep runs they had. D Will is just making excuses for being crappy.

PC
01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
I think it's another excuse. He played all of 15 games in Turkey and I doubt he was going all out

sep11ie
01-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Fans: Deron's constant complaining is wearing us down.

RLundi
01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
I've lost so much respect for Deron these past couple seasons. All I seem to hear from him is 'whine whine, excuse excuse.'

How far he has fallen. Very sad.

tripleplay2007
01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
D-Will's turning into a fat POS.

2-ONE-5
01-02-2013, 03:00 PM
try getting in shape. you dont hear the other players who ernt over seas and played in the Olympics whinning about it.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Coach.Killing.Cancer

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Someone here said it best..... Baron Davis version 2.0

sep11ie
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Someone here said it best..... Baron Davis version 2.0

All except for the beard. Davis has a nice full beard while Daron has that metrosexual groomed beard.

JIDsanity
01-02-2013, 03:18 PM
He's injured without a doubt, but it's his own fault to continue to play through his injuries. I fail to see the "constant complaining" he's being ripped for. In both situations being referenced he's being asked a question.

JIDsanity
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
He has what the TNT crew would call fat cat syndrome. Except he didn't win, he just has gotten paid and has lost motivation. Its easy to tell that his conditioning is not what it once was. He lost the stroke on his jump shot as well.

That's pretty far from the truth actually. He's in good shape conditioning wise. Healthy? NO

xnick5757
01-02-2013, 03:33 PM
He is simply not the same player he was in utah.

09-10: 20.6 PER, .574 TS%, .515 eFG%, .177 WS/48
10-11 (Utah): 22.1 PER, .587 TS%, .513 eFG%, .159 WS/48
10-11 (Nets): 17.0 PER, .463 TS%, .396 eFG%, .066 WS/48
11-12: 20.3 PER, .527 TS%, .467 eFG%, .099 WS/48
12-13: 17.0 PER, .516 TS%, .457 eFG%, .112 WS/48

BALLER R
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Yeah I've noticed that too

JNoel
01-02-2013, 03:56 PM

-Not enough good players
-Nagging injuries
-Wrong system

Deron should just shut up, take time off to heal up if he needs it, then shut up and ball.

3 years of sub-par performance and a crappy record for a gazillion dollars, the last thing Prokhorov or the Nets fan base want to hear is another "explanation".

The nets are one of the deepest teams in the league, they just aren't playing in the right system right now like you mentioned.

DallasTrilla23
01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Should've come to dallas..

Hawkeye15
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM

-Not enough good players
-Nagging injuries
-Wrong system

this. Does anyone remember Deron in college? I never thought he would make it, he was a chub rock. He cut some weight after year 1 in the NBA and his game got tons better. He is not a freak of nature like many guys, who are just ripped and lean by doing nothing. Love is like that for my Wolves. You NEED to rest those types, or they just break down.

PraiseJesus
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Give him a 3 day weekend. dun.

JNoel
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Should've come to dallas..

Lullz, I think you would prefer a duo of CP3 and DH next season ;)

JayW_1023
01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Is this superstar-excuse week or something?

waveycrockett
01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
He is right. Been saying this for a while.

netsgiantsyanks
01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
nobody forced him to go to turkey. maybe he'll rest this off season and come back next year not playing like ****.

D-Leethal
01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Melo looks real tired out there.

waveycrockett
01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Melo looks real tired out there.
He sure did last season

Avenged
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Excuses. If you can't handle the league then retire. He is 28 for christ sakes.

DallasTrilla23
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm a fan of d-will but he really can't use this constant play excuse because all of team USA played through the summer and they're having awesome seasons..

More-Than-Most
01-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Yea no...Tired of the excuses as well and I have defended him for years.

oak2455
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
He sure did last season

45 pts later :rolleyes:

jmoney85
01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
this. Does anyone remember Deron in college? I never thought he would make it, he was a chub rock. He cut some weight after year 1 in the NBA and his game got tons better. He is not a freak of nature like many guys, who are just ripped and lean by doing nothing. Love is like that for my Wolves. You NEED to rest those types, or they just break down.

he might have been a chub rock but he was very good

Raps18-19 Champ
01-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Lol, guys like Kobe, Durant, Westbrook, Rondo, Dwight, Lebron, etc have logged in on par or a lot more games and/or mins the last 2-3 years.

netsgiantsyanks
01-02-2013, 08:50 PM
i want someone to sit this guy down and tell him to stop acting like a ****ing little kid. excuses, excuses, excuses. and guess what? you guessed right, more ****ing excuses!

Bruno
01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
this guy needs to start taking responsibility. nothing but excuses from Dwill, it has become the norm.

waveycrockett
01-02-2013, 08:54 PM
He sure did last season

45 pts later :rolleyes:
And the knicks lose! The knicks lose!

Not a good way to start 2013

ball4reel
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM

ANd yet still 5 games in front on new Yorks #1 team :rolleyes:

AnthonyTyrael
01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Whiny sissy. Complaining about going to work and about representing his country.

GiantsSwaGG
01-02-2013, 09:17 PM

And nets scoring 5 PTs in a quarter and getting out classed is not a good way to end 2012

NYJ - NYY
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Deron Williams is. A baby back *****

dtmagnet
01-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Deron Williams? More like Captain Complainer.

GiantsSwaGG
01-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Deron's a ***** plain and simple. Stop whining and ball

D-Leethal
01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
After you get the coach fired for your excuses its time to put up or shut up......not give out more excuses.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
he might have been a chub rock but he was very good

he wasn't even the best player on that Illinois team dude. I thought he wouldn't even make it in the NBA.

GiantsSwaGG
01-02-2013, 09:46 PM
After you get the coach fired for your excuses its time to put up or shut up......not give out more excuses.

29jerz sigs sums up Deron Williams life

Hawkeye15
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Lol, guys like Kobe, Durant, Westbrook, Rondo, Dwight, Lebron, etc have logged in on par or a lot more games and/or mins the last 2-3 years.

yeah, but those are superior athletes. That is what I was saying. Guys like Deron or Kevin Love would be fat ***** if they didn't play a sport. They aren't genetic freaks whose bodies don't get tired. They need to be rested.

Not every athlete is born ripped to shreds. Some actually need to work hard to get in that shape. They represent the actual 10% of the population that will never be ripped to shreds no matter how hard they work. Most people are just full of **** when they tell you that, but there are a small percentage like that. Deron is one of them. He shouldn't be playing year round, and 37 mpg.

29$JerZ
01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
I don't know how much he weighs but he looks a lot heavier than in years past.
Not to mention he has had this "wrist" problem for a while now but is either making it up or refuses to fix it.

He really shouldn't be tired at 28. Kobe, Melo, LeBron and others have having fantastic years and they played a ton before the season.

Greedy22
01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
he wasn't even the best player on that Illinois team dude. I thought he wouldn't even make it in the NBA.

I always thought Dee Brown was the man back then.

waveycrockett
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Shows how little you know:)

netsgiantsyanks
01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
CDR outscored derrick rose the year they played together. we all know how that worked out.

29$JerZ
01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
CDR outscored derrick rose the year they played together. we all know how that worked out.

Mario Chalmers beat Rose's team and won a title before him.
:shrug:

Kandan
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM

Yep, this 100%

ghettosean
01-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Deron is a ***** plain and simple... He puts the blame on Avery and says he's a system player and after the coach gets fired he blames it on his constant playing.

****ing rest if that's what's needed and stop being a punk whiny ***** no one wants to hear that ****!

ldawg
01-02-2013, 10:50 PM
An even better reason to tip your hat and respect players like Duncan, Kobe, Mj, Magic, Bird. They have went on won many rings, mvp,gold medals and Made millions. But played at a high level until they retire. Duncan and Kobe are model stars still playing today, they have seen players come and gone yet they are still two of the best players. Kobe and Duncan should be saying what Williams is saying. Even Kidd,kg,Nash,Ray Allen,Dirk is still going after all these year, williams should be shame. It always make me lead back to think is it really worth it to pay one guy 50mil and his teammates 5mil when they are doing the same and even more?

ldawg
01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
The nba will miss Players like Duncan and Kobe.

albertajaysfan
01-03-2013, 03:01 AM
Funny thing is he has only played over 70 games once since the 08-09 season.

Hasn't made any deep playoff runs in awhile.

I don't get the rest issue.

kblo247
01-03-2013, 03:07 AM
The new Baron Davis. All the talent in the world, when he wants it he can be the beat pg in the league, but he will settle for being fat, which makes him injury probe, and gives him excuses.

GiantsSwaGG
01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Funny thing is he has only played over 70 games once since the 08-09 season.

Hasn't made any deep playoff runs in awhile.

I don't get the rest issue.

When u suck, u point the finger at someone else

Dade County
01-03-2013, 10:31 AM
D will should have token less Money and signed with a stack team, know he might never win a ring as one of the key pieces ( the man ).

Him signing back with the Nets never really made sense to me, i believe really talented players should be on very good teams; but who am I to say that D will shouldn't have token all the money he could get.

So what if the media would have tried to trash him, and the Nets fans would have cursed him.

Only chance I think this organization has is to sign Phil, this will start a chain reaction and Howard will find his way their next season. If Dallas was smart, they would go after Phil as well.

BULLSFAN0810
01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Rest the dude..you guys saying toughen up will be mad if he gets hurt...you see he is tired,you wanna win...play your back up more...dude is a great player that has to do soo much and if he goes down your franchise is done.

SluggeR
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
The dude was hurt the majority of last year. How much effort did he have to give in the olympics? Did the USA even play any wire-to-wire games in the olympics? The man is suppose to be in his prime, yet his conditioning is lacking and he's complaining about being tired. The Nets are expecting him to be their super star..lets see how that's going to work out.

GiantsSwaGG
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
You're the Franchise and you're complaining about being tired :facepalm:

BULLSFAN0810
01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
The dude was hurt the majority of last year. How much effort did he have to give in the olympics? Did the USA even play any wire-to-wire games in the olympics? The man is suppose to be in his prime, yet his conditioning is lacking and he's complaining about being tired. The Nets are expecting him to be their super star..lets see how that's going to work out.
its wear and tear ... you practice just as much or more than yu play...travel etc. the dude played non stop last year and plays 82 games a year, thats close to 200 practices and hundreds of hours of travel time. you guys dont get it...he may be getting like Kirk Hierich...a very toughmentally player but too many hours on the floor burned him out, so when you see Heirich he plays mostly Defense bc he cant play both ends anymore(he wasnt much of a scorer to start with) REST DWILL !! He is almost ten years in the game....DUMMIES!:facepalm:

whitvalid
01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
omg he probly played 10mpg max on the olympic team. sure is fat for someone who "never stops working"

get away from me dwill.

DreamShaker
01-03-2013, 02:22 PM
yeah, but those are superior athletes. That is what I was saying. Guys like Deron or Kevin Love would be fat ***** if they didn't play a sport. They aren't genetic freaks whose bodies don't get tired. They need to be rested.

Not every athlete is born ripped to shreds. Some actually need to work hard to get in that shape. They represent the actual 10% of the population that will never be ripped to shreds no matter how hard they work. Most people are just full of **** when they tell you that, but there are a small percentage like that. Deron is one of them. He shouldn't be playing year round, and 37 mpg.

Hmmm. I think we tend to view athletes as robots at times. Makes a good deal of sense.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Shows how little you know:)

he was a chubby, slow, combo guard in college. How does that equate to a bright NBA future? How was I supposed to know he would lay off the doritos and lose weight, while being drafted to a team with an all timer for his coach?

Hawkeye15
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
The nba will miss Players like Duncan and Kobe.

I mean, I suppose. But when the dudes in the 80s said we would miss Bird, and Magic, MJ came along. When they said we would miss MJ, Duncan, Kobe, KG, etc came along. Now you say we will miss Kobe and Duncan? LeBron, Durant, and others are here now. Life goes on....

Jesse2272
01-03-2013, 06:10 PM
he was a chubby, slow, combo guard in college. How does that equate to a bright NBA future? How was I supposed to know he would lay off the doritos and lose weight, while being drafted to a team with an all timer for his coach?

Doritos Jacked is a helluva drug :drool:

JEDean89
01-03-2013, 06:36 PM
he should tell that to kobe, lebron, melo, chandler and all the other players who have played more bball than him in the last 2 years yet are balling.

Sssmush
01-03-2013, 06:39 PM

He's just not that good.

He has huge expectations on him and he is super overrated, and the fact is that he is just not all that amazing.