PDA

View Full Version : General Consensus About Jazz

RyanStorm
01-01-2013, 08:18 PM
I wanted to hear some general consensus about Jazz from people from other clubs, who watch from the outside in. Consensus being a standard opinion agreed upon by the average NBA fan(who more or less, knows what he/she is talking about; I know I tend to speak more opinion than facts sometimes, so be my guest!

I want to know what you think we need to be great or if you think we could be great(I am talking 2nd round great, like 2012 Lakers great), then what needs to happen to be this great, and what is the cause for the current landslide of 2 out of 9 to end December that dropped us below .500 over two months in?!?

Debated Causes:
1-Corbin(overall ability, rotations, mistakes, and lack luster performances)
2-Jazz's Starters(combined, or individual: Big Al, Millsap, Foye, and Marvin)
3-Just plain hard competition
4-Tough Schedule
5-Were in a phase of getting ourselves out of a (UTA 04-06) turn around
6-(A little bit of everything)

Once I can gather up everything I can, I want to calculate all the problems so I can figure out what is gonna keep us from the same fate as last year!

I mean this is not the same organization, the only proof we got is last years short season, where Corbin got us an 8th spot in the last week, before that he killed off a winning season(although there is more to this than his first season at coaching), and then before that, this team is nothing of what it use to be, no Sloan, no Dwill, no LHM, dif GM, and no nothing! Just the left overs a legacy and traditions that is now in turmoil, with little identity left of what we are to what we were.

NYKNYGNYY
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't really like jazz music more of a hip hop fan....

Buckwheat
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM

It's even better when they're mixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyFkduoh4w4

Jint.
01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
very Jazzy..

Tony_Starks
01-01-2013, 08:41 PM
They'll be average until they do something about the big man log jam. I'd trade Milsap since he's probably about to walk this summer. Trade him for a scorer and boost Favors minutes...

RyanStorm
01-01-2013, 09:01 PM
They'll be average until they do something about the big man log jam. I'd trade Milsap since he's probably about to walk this summer. Trade him for a scorer and boost Favors minutes...

Nice, that is what looks to be happening. Jazz let CJ walk into unrestricted FA, I think, and they just used some of his cap space to fill in the blanks with other FA's in Marv, Foye and Mo and they got 1 year contracts.

This is what Millsap is wanting to do(and is the last player from our former era). Even with his lower numbers, he will still be a healthy trade offer, hopefully we can get some young bloods from the last draft, like Lillard or Lowry.

Al is big time trade value/space, but also is considered a big asset as far as the organization goes, but I think Jazz want to keep him either eay!

Millsap was the only dying contract who got offered(that I know of) so far. Which to me, means they want to know if he will sign, asap, so by the time tradeline comes, we can figure exactly what we should do with him(it would have been stupid to offer a contract just before tradeline or after.

So I think Millsap will be the only for sure trade, anyone else would be part of a deal that is offered to us(or one we make to nab someone good). Although Millsap can and might just go into FA this summer(which to me works either way, I just figure we get more in a trade).

RLundi
01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Is Louis Armstrong considered jazz?

Anyway, Polka >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jazz.

RyanStorm
01-01-2013, 09:28 PM
At least my team isn't named after pants..

Jarvo
01-01-2013, 09:35 PM
It's even better when they're mixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyFkduoh4w4

Gold all in my watch! Gold all in my rang!

Jarvo
01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Trade Al and Paul to the Spurs :pray: but really arent they tryin to trade people to let the young guns play?

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
The Jazz remind me of Atlanta. They are a good team, but they aren't a contender, and aren't close to being a contender. With money tied up in their current stars, and their record assuring them they don't get high picks, it is hard to move forward.

the difference is with their depth in the front court. They got Kanters and Favours coming off the bench. I think those two would be starting on a number of teams, but Milsap and Jefferson are so good. that gives them trade assets, and considering most teams are happy to trade a small for a big, they have the pieces that they could work a deal for a back-court star to pair with their front court.

Other than a trade, the GM will have to be very creative and shrewd about who they sign and draft.

I think coaching is not a problem, their record is about as good as you can expect it to be with the roster they have, espcially considering they are playing in the west.

Will 2 BE
01-01-2013, 09:50 PM

Yeah they were better when Miles Davis was playing

Monta is beast
01-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Peep the sig aha

shep33
01-01-2013, 11:01 PM
They need a point guard badly. They should try and deal for Bledsoe at the end of the year. If not, try and get Lowry

tapajafri
01-01-2013, 11:59 PM
the first thing that popped into my head when reading the thread title was "racist"

indiana is probably worse though

torocan
01-02-2013, 12:00 AM
The Jazz is an average bubble play off team in the West. They have two basic problems.

1) They're in the West. There's just SO many teams log jamming the 5-10 seeds fighting for contention that it's hard to separate themselves from the pack. It doesn't help that they're in the Northwest, which is arguably the toughest division in the West (along with the Southwest).

2) They're okay a lot of things, but not really Great at anything. A team needs to have an identity, ie a set of thing they do that they're great at to make real inroads, either offensively or defensively, or ideally both.

Here's what I mean

PPG - 10th
Scoring Margin - 17th
Points in the Paint - 11th
Fastbreak points - 8th
Shooting% - 15th
True Shooting% - 13th
Total Rebounding - 12th

Opponent PPG - 22nd
Opponent Scoring Margin - 17th
Opponent Points in the Paint - 29th
Opponent Fastbreak Points - 13th
Opponent Shooting% - 22nd
Opponent True Shooting% - 21st
Opponent Total Rebounding - 13th

So, what you got is a whole lot of Average, some below average to poor, and a little above average.

The end result is... an Average team with Average results. Surprise!

To get much further, Utah needs to become Elite at a few things, either that or top 10 in lots of things.

As for how to fix that, Utah need to make some decisions and either adjust the game plan or the roster to achieve what they want to do.

Buckwheat
01-02-2013, 12:30 AM
the first thing that popped into my head when reading the thread title was "racist"

Really?

Lakers4life08
01-02-2013, 12:34 AM
never liked Jazz,i am more into hip hop and pop music

Aleksandar
01-02-2013, 12:45 AM
No idea mate, guess Utah should develop young talents. Maybe bring a talented unproven coach to grow with the team?

Personally, the player I most dislike in Utah is Al Jefferson. I would get rid of him for anything.. Give Kanter a shot, and keep Millsap/Favors to see whoever fits in better.

Gordon Hayward is a good piece too.

PacersForLife
01-02-2013, 01:22 AM

Worse as in what?

Cracka2HI!
01-02-2013, 01:26 AM
The Jazz need to make a big move to contend. They have the pieces to do it. I think Favors might be the best guy to try to move. He may have the most value and I doubt he equals Al Jefferson. I'd look to move Favors and keep Jefferson.

tp13baby
01-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Is Louis Armstrong considered jazz?

Anyway, Polka >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jazz.

Armstrong is one of the best of all time.

Lloyd Christmas
01-02-2013, 01:30 AM
The obvious move is to trade Millsap and Jefferson for better guards right? Or for draft picks. Either way I'd want to see what Favors and Kanter could do playing starter minutes.

lakerboy
01-02-2013, 01:32 AM
If you aren't winning championships, you have to rebuild. Otherwise, you'll be stuck somewhere in the middle. You'll make the playoffs but won't be a contender. This is where the Jazz is right now.

The thing too is, they have great great pieces. They have one of the best big men in the NBA, and this has become a log jam. I personally want them to see unleash Eric Canter. I love seeing him play.

Overall, I just hope to see a better direction for the franchise. Trade the old players and build around the young players!

Cracka2HI!
01-02-2013, 01:34 AM
If you aren't winning championships, you have to rebuild. Otherwise, you'll be stuck somewhere in the middle. You'll make the playoffs but won't be a contender. This is where the Jazz is right now.

The thing too is, they have great great pieces. They have one of the best big men in the NBA, and this has become a log jam. I personally want them to see unleash Eric Canter. I love seeing him play.

Overall, I just hope to see a better direction for the franchise. Trade the old players and build around the young players!How good is he? I know they have Enes Kanter who is a good young piece!

RyanStorm
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Hayward, Favors and Kanter have all proven they are top notch, and ready to take the reins(they are the most talented group of guys on the team, and if lead by Mo, they would become amazingly great, especially if Burks becomes the SG.)(4 early first round picks from last two drafts, plus Mo, how can that go wrong).

Put any two guards with "my triple threat dream team", and they would win. I mean look at Koufus, he was like 3rd string on Utah, but starter on Denver, and they are winning. Give me Miller on 2nd unit and Gallinari on 1st, and right now we would be much better off.

3rd overall, Kanter(Enes the Menence, or The Big Turkey) had 18 points, 1 block and 8 rebounds, in his first start when Al was gone. You will see how well we played 'together' and how great we could be without Al and/or Paul who was in foul trouble(being replaced by 3rd overall pick Derrick Favors).
The team that took us into 3 OT's, were whooped this game, without Al, our leading scorer and rebounder.

Mo, if not injured till next year, is a vital piece that I think Utah needs(he is in NYC getting 2nd opinion on injury). He is a shooter, passer, leader and closer(pretty much all the ingredients that we need). Even if we got Calderon or some better true PG who will pass first, Mo would be much better than foye/burks at SG.

As far as getting a PG, I think we need to keep Mo, and get a young guy to grow with our 2nd Unit(insert PG here). However this is all speculation based on what the overall plan is. Two ways to go, Plan B, you either pick a PG for the 2nd unit, and keep starters as they are(minus 1 or 2), keeping the core bench, and keeping Mo at PG.

Or plan A you get rid of all the starters(or most of them, except Mo) to get draft picks like Carter-Williams or to free up space for new FA's..etc. With all this your getting players to form the new bench(with 55th Jeremy Evans(Slam Dunk Champ), and 47th Kevin Murphy(In development @D-L)(both being, our last two 2nd round draft picks)..both to be the basis for new bench, by picking guys work with them. While our 2nd unit becomes the new Starters.

Tinsley is ok, but seriously this 2nd unit is working with next to nothing(especially on defense). Our two current(and only) PG's combined for 0 points and 7 assists in a game the other day, yet the 2nd unit can out beat the league's best bench(LAC twice) with Watson, and our starters are dying because of it(losing a 19pt lead the bench got) with Tinsley.

Forming a new bench through draft and FA is a much better idea(especially with 3rd stringers who can already play starter), than trading or getting FA's to be our new Starters. Were not getting All Stars, probably not even from a trade. Our best bet, keep getting draft picks to find amazing talent, like Hayward, Favors, Burks and Kanter! I guess trading for young guys is also a good way. Were just not gonna get Durant's, Gasol's, Dwight's or CP3's..or Melo's.

I didn't mean to write so much, but this is some information that I am using to write my article and personal blog, I wanted to go over all the basics. I just want to see if I can add or minus any information.