PDA

View Full Version : Who was more valuable to Phil Jackson, Shaq or Jordan?

Chill_Will_24
01-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Which player was more important to Phil basketball wise? Sorry it's a dumb question. I am curious what people think.

I personally think Shaq was more important to his offense than was Jordan.

xxplayerxx23
01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Jordan IMO but not by much

BleedGreen1014
01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Honestly I think it was Shaq, because early on with LA, Kobe was inexperienced and not ready to carry the load. Jordan had pippen and Rodman and slew of role players who contributed greatly. In LA it was Shaq or bust IMO until Kobe got a few years under his belt.

tripleplay2007
01-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Honestly I think it was Shaq, because early on with LA, Kobe was inexperienced and not ready to carry the load. Jordan had pippen and Rodman and slew of role players who contributed greatly. In LA it was Shaq or bust IMO until Kobe got a few years under his belt.

This.

Chronz
01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Nobody was more valuable than MJ offensively, perfect weapon. Defensively however, Shaq was the anchor that held everything down for them. Without MJ, the Bulls could actually play better defense.

tredigs
01-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Nobody was more valuable than MJ offensively, perfect weapon. Defensively however, Shaq was the anchor that held everything down for them. Without MJ, the Bulls could actually play better defense.

You're going to have to elaborate on that, seeing as we're talking about a defensive player of the year and absolute lockdown wing defender for entire quarters at a time.

JordansBulls
01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
It was MJ by a nod. Impact wise they were virtually equal at peaks, but I give MJ the edge overall for consistency and also because MJ did a lot for Phil's career. Shaq listened to Phil because of what he accomplished in Chicago.

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Jordan obviously. Without Jordan Jackson wouldn't have won those first 6 rings, and without those onhis resume, no way he gets the Lakers job.

And in terms of who was more important to their respective teams, I would say Shaq and Jordan were equally important to their teams. No way either team wins the title without either of those guys on the team.

3RDASYSTEM
01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Close one

JORDAN was getting JORDAN rules preTriangle
SHAQ was getting tripleteamed before ball was passing halfcourt in the Triangle it seemed like

and everybody enters the nba inexperienced

PIPP/KOBE were developing players who panned out to be good so they cancel each other out, nor PIPP/KOBE entered the league day1 and destroyed it, JORDAN/SHAQ did

Tony_Starks
01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Kobe.

Hellcrooner
01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Neither, Jakcson relied on the COre that he constructed to fill certain needs for the system.

Knick bag
01-01-2013, 04:19 PM
MJ of course. Won 6 championships. Would have won 7 if MJ had not retired the 1st time. Would have won #8 if the Bulls owner had resigned Phil & Scotty. The Lakers w/Shaq didnt win until Phil got there and the whole reason why the selected Phil in the first place was because of his success with the Jordan led Bulls teams.

blacknell
01-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Jordan because without him Jackson would never be heard of

Chronz
01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
You're going to have to elaborate on that, seeing as we're talking about a defensive player of the year and absolute lockdown wing defender for entire quarters at a time.
Yea but we are still talking about a SG, and with Phil, when he retired the first time, the Bulls were actually better defensively.

ldawg
01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Mj double the amount of rings Jackson had with Shaq setting him up as the second most winning coach in the history of the game. Without Mj Pippen would not have given Jackson 6 rings. It took mj a minute to win so while shaq was the focal point in the three rings he won in La is not saying Kobe could not have won later on in his prime. After all he did post some impressive numbers without shaq and went on and won two rings when jackson returned. Remember one thing Mj gave Phill his name. Shaq gave phil 3 rings to add but as the most dominant player thats not very impressive. Even without Shaq Phill would have 9 or 10.

Verbal Christ
01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
hahaha ... this was a good one. ya'll got me. new years joke right?

i dont understand how someone can say that the bulls would have played better defense WITHOUT Jordan on the floor when MJ was All Defense almost every year he played. Confusing.

Hmmm doesnt it simply come down to this: Shaq 3 Rings MJ 6 Rings

/thread.

Andrew32
01-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I'll have to side with Jordan on this one but not by that much.

Shaq's dominance in the early 00's was legendary.

tredigs
01-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Yea but we are still talking about a SG, and with Phil, when he retired the first time, the Bulls were actually better defensively.

I'm not saying his impact is on Shaq's level defensively, just that he was a great defender. I see that they went from 2nd in the league in opponents ppg to 3rd in opponents ppg the year he left. And 7th to 6th in D. Rating. Seems negligible. Both elite defensive teams.

In other news, never knew just how slow of a pace those Chi teams were. Almost always in the bottom quarter, sometimes dead last in pace. Box Score numbers could've been even more ridiculous.

ldawg
01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
mj by far

Rain City
01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
mj by far

ditto. not even close IMO.

Chill_Will_24
01-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Some people still live on the legend of Micheal. Do people realize how dominant and unstoppable Shaq was during his run with Phil?

Do not confuse this with me asking who the better player is. That is clearly MJ.

What i mean is which player was individually more important to Phil in their respective teams? MJ had Pippen and Rodman.

The Bulls were pretty darn close to advancing to the finals WITHOUT Jordan. That is how good Pippen was.

All Shaq had was a young raw Kobe.

lol, please
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM

This.

x3.

Chronz
01-01-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm not saying his impact is on Shaq's level defensively, just that he was a great defender. I see that they went from 2nd in the league in opponents ppg to 3rd in opponents ppg the year he left. And 7th to 6th in D. Rating. Seems negligible. Both elite defensive teams.
No doubt, my point wasn't that it was a drastic difference, just that MJ's contributions could be replaced by the likes of Pete Meyers. Shaq on the other hand ..... Which is why people focusing on Shaq's offensive contributions vs MJ are doing it wrong.