PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2013 Prospect thread: #1 on the list is Michael Almanzar

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

avrpatsfan
12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
1. SS, Xander Bogaerts
2. OF, Jackie Bradley Jr
3. RHP, Matt Barnes
4. RHP, Allen Webster
5. 3B, Garin Cecchini
6. LHP, Henry Owens
7. OF, Bryce Brentz
8. C, Blake Swihart
9. SS, Deven Marrero
10. RHP, Brandon Workman
11. LHP, Brian Johnson
12. LHP, Drake Britton
13. OF, Brandon Jacobs
14. SS, Jose Iglesias
15. OF, Manuel Margot
16. RHP, Alex Wilson
17. SS, Jose Vinicio
18. OF, Keury De La Cruz
19. RHP, Ty Buttrey
20. RHP, Anthony Ranaudo

Nomar
12-31-2012, 08:05 PM
The year of the Bradley

ruckus16969
01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
I hope by this time next year we have 4 or 5 more top prospects from trading guys like Ellsbury an Lester an Drew and Victorino

Nomar
01-01-2013, 06:31 PM
I hope by this time next year we have 4 or 5 more top prospects from trading guys like Ellsbury an Lester an Drew and Victorino

No chance Victorino or Drew land a top prospect no matter what.

ruckus16969
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
If Drew can stay healthy he may have a very good year. If we flip him to a contender and eat allot of he contract we could get a decent return. Im not saying like a Myers type prospect. But he may get us a good pitching prospect.

MoVaughnsLunch
01-01-2013, 08:59 PM
If Drew can stay healthy he may have a very good year. If we flip him to a contender and eat allot of he contract we could get a decent return. Im not saying like a Myers type prospect. But he may get us a good pitching prospect.

I agree with this. Shortstops r scarce if quality right now. If drew puts up numbers then we can land a solid pitching prospect. Look at the wheeler Beltran swap a few years ago

bruins>habs
01-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Will JBJ be called up before or after the ASB?

after...unless alot of injuries or he absolutely tears up AA/AAA

ruckus16969
01-02-2013, 03:12 AM
I would say after unless he is really killing and someone gets injured or traded. Maybe even next year

goshhhjosh
01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
We, as Red Sox fans, have a lot to be excited about with the farm system. It'll be interesting to see how Barnes starts off in Salem. Towards the end of the season he was wearing down due to a longer season.

Xander will hopefully continue to blossom and progress and remain the savior of the Boston Red Sox ;)

As to the question earlier, I think JBJr. will come up in the second half of the season. He absolutely crushed in Salem and started off extremely hot in Portland and somewhat faded towards the end. Yes, I know he finished with a .271/.373/.437 line which is definitely doable. I think he starts off the year in Portland and if he makes it up to the bigs it'll be later in the year.

Prospects I will be keeping my eyes on this year are: Owens, Swihart, Cecchini, and Kukuk (along with the top tier guys.)

Nomar
01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
We, as Red Sox fans, have a lot to be excited about with the farm system. It'll be interesting to see how Barnes starts off in Salem. Towards the end of the season he was wearing down due to a longer season.

Xander will hopefully continue to blossom and progress and remain the savior of the Boston Red Sox ;)

As to the question earlier, I think JBJr. will come up in the second half of the season. He absolutely crushed in Salem and started off extremely hot in Portland and somewhat faded towards the end. Yes, I know he finished with a .271/.373/.437 line which is definitely doable. I think he starts off the year in Portland and if he makes it up to the bigs it'll be later in the year.

Prospects I will be keeping my eyes on this year are: Owens, Swihart, Cecchini, and Kukuk (along with the top tier guys.)

I would consider Owens, Swihart, and Cecchini top tier already.

Going a bit deeper I'd be watching Jacobs, Kukuk, Vinicio, Margot, Buttrey, Suarez, Jerez, Callahan, and Mike Myers.

Myers may be a surprise to some of you guys, but from what I've read he seems like a natural leader with at least average tools across the board. We'll see how his defense looks at SS.

Our system is pretty deep now so theres a lot of guys to keep your eye on, which is great given how much of a sore the Sox were on the eyes and ears last year.

goshhhjosh
01-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Going a bit deeper I'd be watching Jacobs, Kukuk, Vinicio, Margot, Buttrey, Suarez, Jerez, Callahan, and Mike Myers.

Myers may be a surprise to some of you guys, but from what I've read he seems like a natural leader with at least average tools across the board. We'll see how his defense looks at SS.

Our system is pretty deep now so theres a lot of guys to keep your eye on, which is great given how much of a sore the Sox were on the eyes and ears last year.

I should have clarified and said besides the top 5. (Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley, Webster, and De La Rosa.)

Hopefully Kukuk can stay out of the sauce.

Nomar
01-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I should have clarified and said besides the top 5. (Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley, Webster, and De La Rosa.)

Hopefully Kukuk can stay out of the sauce.

Or stop combining it with wheels at least.

goshhhjosh
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Or stop combining it with wheels at least.

Well considering he's 19...lol.

To pull a Bryce Harper. That's a clown statement bro. :p

Nomar
01-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Well considering he's 19...lol.

To pull a Bryce Harper. That's a clown statement bro. :p

Hahaha totally wasn't thinking about his age. I have to remember these guys in the low levels are my age.

AI
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm very interested to see how Suarez does this year.

Nomar
01-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Suarez is young and plays a tough position. As more of a slugger, I don't think you'll see 20 HRs from him or anything this year at his age. I'm more interested in his scouting reports. Hopefully his defense at C will be solid or at least potentially above average.

-Lavigne43-
01-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Send me top 20's so I can do a new list for the first post. I will post it on Monday

goshhhjosh
01-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Suarez is young and plays a tough position. As more of a slugger, I don't think you'll see 20 HRs from him or anything this year at his age. I'm more interested in his scouting reports. Hopefully his defense at C will be solid or at least potentially above average.

As a 17 year old he had a fairly decent season for the DSL Red Sox last year.

.270/.399/.425 isn't terrible. Soxprospects has very little on him, "Catcher from Venezuela. Solid defensively. Fringe-average contact hitter with some pop."

This from overthemonster.com (you know the site where EeasyA said he was going to start posting instead of PSD :pray:)

Suarez was signed by the Red Sox as an international free agent following the 2010 season. Suarez didn't turn 18 until after the cutoff date, making this his age-17 campaign. Like other rookie leagues, the Dominican Summer League is a low-offense environment, but that didn't stop Suarez from putting up some great numbers. His .270/.399/.425 compares very well to the league-average .243/.337/.330, and he was younger than your average DOSL player, as well.

Not much to go on.

Speaking of catchers, not that I expect much, but I'm interested to see how Beau Bishop performs this season. Was a heck of a softball player in New Zealand (not talking beer league softball.)

RedSoxtober
01-03-2013, 09:36 AM

From what I saw I'd agree on Owens and Cecchini but not yet on Swihart. The latter is still more "upside" than accomplishment. He also needs to put on some serious weight if he's going to remain behind the plate; he looks like Buchholz with baggy catching gear. I'm not sure they even make straps tight enough to make the gear fit right...

-Lavigne43-
01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
None of them are top tier. You have to put up terrific numbers or have a very high ceiling to be top tier. All 3 of them are B prospects.

AI
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
They are top tier in our farm, I think that is what both RST and Nomar are implying.

-Lavigne43-
01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
They are not top tier in our farm. There are 4 prospects that are unarguably above them.

Nomar
01-03-2013, 02:14 PM
They are not top tier in our farm. There are 4 prospects that are unarguably above them.

You assume you know the definition of tier in regard to farm systems?

Ok, what I meant is that they are guys everyone already knows about. They are all top 10 in our system.

AI
01-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I understood you Nomar, I'm assuming you were going by this, correct me if I'm wrong:

1-10 top tier
11-25 middle tier
26+ bottom tier

Nomar
01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah thats what i meant. Maybe give a little more room for the middle tier since we are deeper than we have been in the past.

Green_Monster
01-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Send me top 20's so I can do a new list for the first post. I will post it on Monday

Yup. You should edit this into the 1st post so it doesn't go unnoticed.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited to follow the prospects this year. I live close to Portland and hope to see a lot of games.

AI
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Here's my list:

1) Xander Bogaerts, SS
2) Matt Barnes, SP
3) Jackie Bradley, OF
4) Allen Webster, SP
5) Rubby de la Rosa, SP/RP
6) Garin Cecchini, 3B
7) Bryce Brentz, OF
8) Henry Owens, SP
9) Blake Swihart, C
10) Deven Marrero, SS
11) Brian Johnson, SP
12) Jose Iglesias, SS
13) Drake Britton, SP
14) Alex Wilson, RP
15) Manuel Margot, OF
16) Brandon Jacobs, OF
17) Brandon Workman, SP
18) Keury de la Cruz, OF
19) Jose Vinicio, SS
20) Pat Light, SP

Nomar
01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
1) Xander Bogaerts
2) Matt Barnes
3) Jackie Bradley
4) Rubby De La Rosa
5) Allen Webster
6) Henry Owens
7) Garin Cecchini
8) Blake Swihart
9) Bryce Brentz
10) Deven Marrero
11) Jose Vinicio
12) Brandon Jacobs
13) Brandon Workman
14) Drake Britton
15) Brian Johnson
16) Alex Wilson
17) Jose Iglesias
18) Manuel Margot
19) Ty Buttrey
20) Cody Kukuk

Station 13
01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Shouldn't it be 2014 in the thread title?

-Lavigne43-
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
I think I'm going to reveal the name of the prospect on the bottom of the list every day. I can edit the title with their name, and we can discuss that specific prospect.

You assume you know the definition of tier in regard to farm systems?

Ok, what I meant is that they are guys everyone already knows about. They are all top 10 in our system.

Honestly, I've never heard of that terminology used that way for a farm system (To split it in 3, static sections). Everything in a tier should have a similar value. For me, to be in the same tier there has to be a decent argument for each player to be the best overall in that tier. For fun, here's how I would separate the Red Sox system, without thinking too much(alphabetically)

Tier 1
Bogaerts

Tier 2
Barnes
Bradley
Webster

Tier 3
Brentz
Cecchini
Owens
Swihart

Tier 4
Britton
KDLC
Johnson
Marrero
Wilson
Workman

Tier 5
Buttrey
Callahan
Coyle
Holt
Iglesias
Jacobs
Kukuk
Light
Lin
Margot
Montas
Mercedes
Ranaudo
Shaw
Vazquez
Vinicio

Don't feel like doing more

-Lavigne43-
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
RDLR is not a prospect, he burned his eligibility 2 years ago so don't include him in lists.

AI
01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Blasphemy, RDLR will be eligible until he is kaput.

papipapsmanny
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
1. Xander Bogaerts
2. Jackie Bradley Jr.
3. Allen Webster
4. Matt Barnes
5. Garin Cecchini
6. Bryce Brentz
7. Henry Owens
8. Blake Swihart
9. Brandon Workman
10. Deven Marrero
11. Drake Britton
12. Jose Vinicio
13. Brandon Jacobs
14. Brian Johnson
15. Ty Buttrey
16. Keury De La Cruz
17. Anthony Ranaudo
18. Travis Shaw (This guy should get more love)
19. Manuel Margot
20. Cody Kukuk

Sleepers:

1. Sean Coyle
2. Michael Almanzar

Nomar
01-04-2013, 12:08 AM
I think I'm going to reveal the name of the prospect on the bottom of the list every day. I can edit the title with their name, and we can discuss that specific prospect.

Honestly, I've never heard of that terminology used that way for a farm system (To split it in 3, static sections). Everything in a tier should have a similar value. For me, to be in the same tier there has to be a decent argument for each player to be the best overall in that tier. For fun, here's how I would separate the Red Sox system, without thinking too much(alphabetically)

Tier 1
Bogaerts

Tier 2
Barnes
Bradley
Webster

Tier 3
Brentz
Cecchini
Owens
Swihart

Tier 4
Britton
KDLC
Johnson
Marrero
Wilson
Workman

Tier 5
Buttrey
Callahan
Coyle
Holt
Iglesias
Jacobs
Kukuk
Light
Lin
Margot
Montas
Mercedes
Ranaudo
Shaw
Vazquez
Vinicio

Yeah usually people dont split it up in tiers. We were just thinking about it it different ways.

ruckus16969
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Yup. You should edit this into the 1st post so it doesn't go unnoticed.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited to follow the prospects this year. I live close to Portland and hope to see a lot of games.

Im from Portland. I live right behind Hadlock

RedSoxtober
01-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Blasphemy, RDLR will be eligible until he is kaput.

It's the standard definition that we've used for ranking prospects in the past. Basically, you're a prospect if you're eligible for ROY.

Nomar
01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
You can put Pat Light last for me if we aren't counting RDLR which I agree we shouldn't

RedSoxtober
01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
My list is an eclectic blend of demonstrated ability and upside.

1. Bogaerts
2. De La Rosa
3. Bradley
4. Webster
5. Barnes
6. Brentz
7. Cecchini
8. Owens
9. Workman
10. Swihart
11. Iglesias
12. Wilson
13. Britton
14. Marrero
15. Johnson
16. Holt
17. De La Cruz
18. Jacobs
19. Light
20. Montas

BostonSports96
01-05-2013, 01:21 AM
My top 5, in terms of safeness of the prospect producing, I think it should be:

1. JBJ
2. Webster
3. Bogaerts
4. Barnes
5. RDLR (is he a starter or a reliever?)

But in terms of ceiling, It'd probably be:

1. Bogaerts
2. Barnes
3. RDLR
4. JBJ
5. Webster

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Tier 1
Bogaerts

Tier 2
Barnes
Bradley
Webster

Tier 3
Brentz
Cecchini
Owens
Swihart
Marrero

Tier 4
Britton
KDLC
Johnson
Workman
Buttrey
Margot

Tier 5
Wilson
Callahan
Coyle
Holt
Iglesias
Jacobs
Kukuk
Light
Lin
Montas
Mercedes
Ranaudo
Shaw
Vazquez
Vinicio

Those are what I feel. Montas and Vinicio could also slot higher with Lin possibly an outside shot.

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Grk's List:
1. Bogaerts
1A. De La Rosa (Does not count)
2. Bradley
3. Barnes
4. Webster
5. Cecchini
6. Owens
7. Swihart
8. Marrero
9. Workman
10. Brentz
11. Margot
12. Johnson
13. Britton
14. Jacobs
15. Iglesias
16. Buttrey
17. Vinicio
18. Montas
19. Light
20. Lin

AI
01-05-2013, 11:23 AM
We don't have Lin anymore Grk.

Green_Monster
01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Did Austin Maddox pitch at all last year? He was our 3rd round pick, but I haven't heard much about him.

Green_Monster
01-05-2013, 11:38 AM
We don't have Lin anymore Grk.

I think he means Tzu-Wei Lin (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2012/2613618.html).

Nomar
01-06-2013, 12:54 AM
A couple more arms to keep an eye on this year are JB/Jeffrey Wendelken and Sergio Gomez. Not top 20 guys but guys who did really well this past year. Both should be in Lowell this year.

Rudimentary
01-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Top 20 lists aside, I find interesting a quiet under the radar signing this past September by the RSOX.

A former Top 100 ranked Baseball America high school star.
A former ABCA Top 3 HS outfielder(1st team) 2007
http://www.baseballcoaches.org/2007allamericanteams.pdf

A former 2008 D1 Freshman AA by BA, CBN, Rivals
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/awards/freshman-all-america-team/2008/266412.html

http://www.baseballnews.com/allamericans/archives/2008/frallamericans2008.htm

A former teammate in college of prospect Travis Shaw

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Ben-Klafczynski

Reports from the web:

(2010)Keene Swamp Bats center-fielder Ben Klafczynski is probably the only person in New Hampshire who can say they've won a home run derby at Progressive Field, home of the Cleveland Indians.
(2007)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7BSX3zaGE

The left-handed swinging Klafczynski, an Ohio native and then-recent Medina Highland High graduate, beat a field of 10 players to win a derby for area high school All-Stars in 2007. He is hoping for a repeat performance today in the NECBL Home Run Derby at Cardines Field in Newport, R.I.

The 6-foot-3 Kent State junior jumped at the chance to compete when he heard Bats Coach Marty Testo was looking for a left-hander to represent the team - despite the fact that he hasn't hit a home run this season.

Testo said. "I know he has power because he has so much bat speed. We're just hoping he can get some up and hit them out. I think he'll hold his own."

If he's a dark horse to win the Derby, he's the a shoe in to win the throwing competition, Testo said. Along with his speed in the outfield and ability to generate bat speed, Klafczynski also has a big-time throwing arm.

Though Klafczynski plays primarily right field at Kent State, he's been playing center field for the Bats. His ability to jump over and fill the gaps has provided stability in the outfield, Testo said.

"He just brings it to the park every day," Testo said. "He's one of those kids whose name a coach likes writing down in the lineup every day. He's been everything we expected and more." Last summer Klafczynski played for the Bourne Braves of the Cape Cod League. Since arriving with the Bats in mid-June, he's hitting .279 with five doubles and 12 RBIs and proven to be worthy of his selection to the NECBL Western Division team.

Note: Klafczynski's power was on the display during the NECBL's Home Run Derby, as he went on to win the competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPt8vv7tJ8

From PerfectGame 2011........scouts say he is a different player this season because he finally learned to apply his vast assortment of tools in a positive way. Klafczynski has a big right-field arm, and impressive speed and power.

----------------After a slow start with the Cubs(metal to wood bat I suppose), he hit over .320 the final 5 weeks of 2011 with Peoria(A ball).

The Cubs hired Theo Epstein and in ST 2012, decided to cut the player?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/independent-audit/2012/2613957.html

Here is what the player did..... http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2012/09/22/highland-grad-klafczynski-signs-with-red-sox/

He will be an interesting follow. An area RS scout mentioned that the 93-96mph fastball is "breezing", or easy(not max effort) as the arm is electric and the ball has movement, and there is possible triple digit there as he develops.

jn6474
01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Hey guys new to the site, but got to show some love for Steven Wright. Knuckleballer for AAA traded for Lars Anderson at the ASB and made the minor league all star team, hes 28 but knuckleballers take longer and age better if u dont know him already heres a link
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/wright-steven.htm he looks like he can contribute pretty soon!

Nomar
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Sleeper from the man, John Sickels.

And this is why I am including Augliera. Because I had SCOUTING INFORMATION

Mike Augleira was a fifth round pick last June, though this was a budget-oriented selection; his bonus was just $25,000, compared to slot value of $218,100. Draft financial manipulations aside, Augleira is rather interesting. He never walks anybody and had the best K/BB ratio in the NCAA last year. He maintained it in pro ball, which is a good thing obviously. Most public scouting reports say his fastball is just in the 86-88 range, so his status gets downplayed, but some scouts saw him as high as 93-94 last spring. He has a very good slider and a fair changeup. Depending on where his velocity settles in, he could be a back-end starter or a nice middle reliever. Grade C.

SoxFan101NlB
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I am particularly looking forward to seeing what Alixon Suarez can do outside of the DSL. He could push his way into the top 15 on soxprospects

SoxFan101NlB
01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Also hoping Juan Carlos Lineares can prove many people wrong thinking that he is too old. He could very well be our emergency 5/6th outfielder...

Nomar
01-07-2013, 01:34 PM
I see Suarez as a Grandal Lite, minus the PED's. He walks all the time and has some pop. Like him a lot.

-Lavigne43-
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
#20 on the list is Anthony Ranaudo

He still has a good ceiling. He made only 6 starts last year, and he hurt his groin again in the PR Winter League. The only positive news from last season is that he has not had elbow or shoulder issues.

-Lavigne43-
01-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm going to do 2 a day.

#19 on the list is Ty Buttrey

Our 4th round bonus baby last year. He currently features a 90-93 fastball that's been clocked up to 96, a knucklecurve, and a changeup. He got his feet wet in GCL and did very well in his handful of innings. If he does well next year in Greenville he will make a big jump in the rankings.

Nomar
01-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Sickels' Top 20

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/7/3848710/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2013

1) Xander Bogaerts, SS, Grade A: Given his age, overall track record, and the small sample size, I am not worried about the lack of walks in Double-A. He's going to be an excellent hitter and there is at least a moderate chance he can stick at shortstop, at least for awhile. One of the top elite prospects in the game.

2) Jackie Bradley, OF, Grade B+: Terrific defense, on-base ability, moderate power, excellent makeup. Sounds like a winner to me and worthy successor to Jacoby Ellsbury.

3) Matt Barnes, RHP, Grade B+: I'm a little worried about his wilt in the second half, otherwise I might have ranked him ahead of Bradley, but overall he performed up to expectations, looking like a future number two or three starter to me, assuming any durability issues clear up.

4) Garin Cecchini, 3B, Grade B+: Borderline B. I assume this grade may surprise people, but I'm thinking he will start to show more power to go with his OBP skills, speed, and greatly improved defense. I don't always play it safe with the grades.

5) Allen Webster, RHP, Grade B: Borderline B+. Love the grounders, but needs to sharpen his command further and refine breaking ball. Another guy who can be a mid-rotation arm, eat tons of innings.

6) Henry Owens, LHP, Grade B: He's got some issues, needs to get the walks down for example, but the 4.87 ERA overstates his troubles. I like his physicality, size, delivery, and I think the command will improve.

7) Bryce Brentz, OF, Grade B-: Borderline B: I think he can develop into something like Ryan Ludwick but he may need a couple of years to do it. Will he get that kind of slack?

8) Blake Swihart, C, Grade B-: So far, he scouts better than he performs. Defense seems to be coming along, but hitting was disappointing in the Sally League given all the pre-draft hype his bat received, and at age 20 he was old for a 2011 high school draft. He's a solid prospect certainly but I am going to wait and see beyond that. Catchers have weird development curves, though, and New Mexico background also factors in.

9) Brandon Workman, RHP, Grade B-: Not spectacular, but seems like he'll become a workhorse arm. If he switches to relief he would be more dominant, but even the Red Sox need inning eaters.

10) Deven Marrero, SS, Grade B-: Very good defense and patient at the plate, could develop some doubles power. I don't see him as a star but he has a chance to be a solid regular or a really good utility

11) Pat Light, RHP, Grade B-: One of my favorite pitchers from the 2012 draft, I suspect I like him better than many people do but I think he can improve his changeup enough to start. If not, another guy who could dominate in relief.

12) Jose Iglesias, SS, Grade C+: His glove is excellent but his bat is so bad that it may be tough to keep him in the lineup anyway. If they are lucky he can be the Cuban Adam Everett and hold a job with positive WAR even with poor hitting. If they aren't lucky, keep in mind that Rey Ordonez had a great glove but couldn't hold the job anyway.

13) Brandon Jacobs, OF, Grade C+: At this point, the C+ guys could be listed in just about any order depending on taste. I'll go with Jacobs here, the tools hound who had a disappointing season in High-A but is young enough at age 22 to rebound effectively. Everybody seems to have forgotten about him.

14) Drake Britton, LHP, Grade C+: Very erratic, command issues remain, but has one of the better left-handed arms in the minors. Should be a useful power bullpen arm if his control doesn't come around enough for him to start.

15) Brian Johnson, LHP, Grade C+: Very polished University of Florida lefty is classic "low upside, high floor" pitcher who should move through system quickly as an inning-soaking strike-thrower.

16) Keury De La Cruz, OF, Grade C+: Great slash line in Low-A (.308/.352/.536) at age 20 is nice, but poor strike zone discipline and hesitant scouting reports from non-Red Sox sources give one pause. Obviously a prospect but I want to see more before buying in completely.

17) Ty Buttrey, RHP, Grade C+: Big horse from 2012 draft was fourth round pick but took first round money to sign. Has a first round arm to go with it, but it remains to be seen how his command and changeup will work out. Fastball/knucklecurve combo would make him a good reliever if necessary.

18) Jose Vinicio, SS, Grade C+: Another tools guy, gets strong reviews on defense. Fast, has a chance to hit for average, but don't expect power.

19) Brock Holt, 2B, Grade C+: Acquired in Joel Hanrahan trade with Pirates. Opposite of Vinicio: lacks tools, but knows how to play and persistently exceeds expectations of scouts. Solid glove at second, good-enough at shortstop for utility work, should hit for average.

20) Cody Kukuk, LHP, Grade C+: My pick for a surprise breakthrough in 2013. Big lefty with above average fastball and slider, lost most of the season on restricted list due to DUI charges that were eventually dismissed. Looked outstanding in August, mechanics and command were more consistent than they were in high school. If he keeps that up, he will vault up this list next year. Assuming no more off-field glitches, he *could* turn into Jon Lester.

OTHER GRADE C+: Sean Coyle, 2B; Austin Maddox, RHP; Travis Shaw, 1B.

OTHERS: Mike Augliera, RHP; Jamie Callahan, RHP; Chris Carpenter, RHP; Sergio Gomez, RHP; Alex Hassan, OF; Chris Hernandez, LHP; Aaron Kurcz, RHP; Juan Carlos Ramirez, OF; Tzu-Wei Lin, SS; Manuel Margot, OF; Simon Mercedes, RHP; Francellis Montas, RHP; Miguel Pena, LHP; Noe Ramirez, RHP; Anthony Ranaudo, RHP; Christian Vazquez, C; Alex Wilson, RHP; Steven Wright, RHP.

2012 may have been a disaster at the major league level, but the Red Sox farm system is in solid shape. It will take a year or two before the best guys are ready to contribute, but there is much to look forward to.

On the positional side, the class of the group is obviously Xander Bogaerts, who has the ability to be the next great Red Sox star. He destroyed High-A and dominated Double-A in August at the age of 19. Yes, he has a few issues to work through, but given the skill growth that he's already shown, I am confident in his ability to adapt as necessary. Jackie Bradley will be ready to hold down a center field job in 2014. Bryce Brentz may have some hiccups due to contact issues, but if they stick with him he should be a productive slugger. Bradley and Brentz alongside each other in the outfield in 2014? I think Holt can be a nice complementary role player.

If Jose Iglesias' bat proves too weak to hold his job, Deven Marrero and Jose Vinicio provide other defense-oriented options. Tools guys at the lower levels like De La Rosa and the expensive international signees provide another wave behind the top group, though we'll have to see how they pan out of course. I'm taking a risk by saying that Cecchini can develop more home run power and grading him accordingly, but that's what sleep deprivation does to my brain I guess.

The pitching side doesn't have a sure-fire ace, but Barnes, Webster, and Owens all have mid-rotation starter potential, perhaps more. Workman, too. Light and Johnson provide college arms from the 2012 draft who should follow the pipeline up. There are numerous bullpen candidates, and high-upside lottery tickets like Kukuk, Montas and Mercedes should be fun to watch in Low-A and the New York-Penn League.

Knuckleballer Steven Wright is an interesting case. Impossible to predict how that will go, but definitely worth watching.

Rebuiding isn't always fun and Red Sox fans want more tastes of post-season success as soon as possible. Stay patient as best you can; help is on the way.

-Lavigne43-
01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
He's really high on lLight

Jim Callis @jimcallisBA
I have them No. 5. @bgon781: @ChrisMellen in his chat said the #redsox had top farm system do you agree with him

Station 13
01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Damn, I love the killer Bs. Draft more Bsssssssss

AI
01-08-2013, 02:13 AM
He's really high on lLight

Jim Callis @jimcallisBA
I have them No. 5. @bgon781: @ChrisMellen in his chat said the #redsox had top farm system do you agree with him

Top 5 farm is more than fine with me. :drool:

Nomar
01-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Wow that's pretty awesome. No. 5!

-Lavigne43-
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
#18 on the list is Keury De La Cruz

21 year old LH outfielder. He broke out last year, putting up big offensive numbers in Greenville.

Station 13
01-08-2013, 08:32 PM
5. Red Sox
Help is on the way with Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley, Matt Barnes and Allen Webster.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2012/2614530.html

-Lavigne43-
01-09-2013, 12:06 AM
#17 on the list is Jose Vinicio

19 year old SS with good tools, but he needs to develop physically.

-Lavigne43-
01-09-2013, 02:02 PM
#16 on the list is Alex Wilson

26 year old pitcher, he converted to relief after the Aceves, Melancon meltdowns in the beginning of the season. In his first year he didn't take to it as hoped.

Nomar
01-09-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm a bigger Maddox fan than Wilson, though Maddox is mostly projection being that he's so far away. But if the Sox use Maddox as a reliever early on, he may get to the majors a lot faster than starters typically do.

-Lavigne43-
01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
They won't use him as a reliever early on. He will start until he fails as a starter

Nomar
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
That's not always the case. The Jays are using Stroman as a RP right away. In Lowell and Greenville hell start but I think once he gets to AA there's a good chance that hell be converted. That's pretty much what he was drafted for. He was primarily a reliever at Florida.

-Lavigne43-
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
The Red Sox don't do that. They like converting college relievers into starters, they almost always do that. They think that's the best way to develop secondary stuff and become a better all around pitcher. The only exception I can think of is Hansen, who was viewed as a major league ready closer at the time, and they had a need in the pen. He won't be converted to the pen until he either fails, or is in the high minors and there is a need in the big leagues.

Nomar
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah Hansen is actually a pretty good comp to Stroman (situationally, not stuff). A good example of what you're saying would be Papelbon. He went through the minors as a SP as most of us remember.

SoxFan101NlB
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I think the Red Sox usually stretch out every pitching spec to start originally. However, their have been exceptions, Manny Delcarmen?, so I could see them converting him asap.

SoxFan101NlB
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Damn, Lav you said almost the same thing I did like 20 mins before me haha, but my computer didn't load it until I submitted

-Lavigne43-
01-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Delcarmen started for a couple years until he was bleh in A. Hansen was a lot more hyped than Stroman, people thought he was the best reliever on the team after we signed him. This was when we were trying Schilling at closer while he was recovering, so they were really pressured to rush him. I really wonder if we would have started Stroman if we drafted him.

Nomar
01-09-2013, 07:04 PM
I was glad we didn't take him, then he was suspended so I was even more relieved. Hansen probably was ruined by his path thru the minors.

-Lavigne43-
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
#15 on the list is Manuel Margot.

18 year old speedy CF'er. As a 17 year old he put up very good numbers in the DSL, and he received rave reviews during instructs. Could shoot up the list with good performance in Lowell.

RedSoxtober
01-10-2013, 12:46 AM
That's not always the case. The Jays are using Stroman as a RP right away. In Lowell and Greenville hell start but I think once he gets to AA there's a good chance that hell be converted. That's pretty much what he was drafted for. He was primarily a reliever at Florida.
Too often you're using examples from other organizations and overlaying them as a template for the Sox. You need to get more in tune with the way the Sox work.

Yeah Hansen is actually a pretty good comp to Stroman (situationally, not stuff). A good example of what you're saying would be Papelbon. He went through the minors as a SP as most of us remember.
Of relievers who made it to the Sox through their farm system the vast majority developed as SP at the lower levels and the converted to RP. Just from the 2012 club: Tazawa, Bard, Bowden.
2011: Tommy Hottovoy (just released by TEX, btw)
2010: Dustin Richardson
2009: Delcarmen
2008: Chris Smith

Exceptions: Craig Hansen (2006), Hunter Jones (2009)

Nomar
01-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Too often you're using examples from other organizations and overlaying them as a template for the Sox. You need to get more in tune with the way the Sox work.

Of relievers who made it to the Sox through their farm system the vast majority developed as SP at the lower levels and the converted to RP. Just from the 2012 club: Tazawa, Bard, Bowden.
2011: Tommy Hottovoy (just released by TEX, btw)
2010: Dustin Richardson
2009: Delcarmen
2008: Chris Smith

Exceptions: Craig Hansen (2006), Hunter Jones (2009)

Never said that the Red Sox always do that with their relievers, but for a guy who was solely a reliever in college and thought of as a future college going into the draft, I don't see how it's out of the question. Never once did i say that using a player as a reliever early in his minor league career was some sort of template for the Sox.

-Lavigne43-
01-10-2013, 01:56 PM
#14 on the list is Jose Iglesias.

23 year old whose glove is as promised, but bat is worse than feared.

Bo Sox Fan
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
If Iglesias didn't have such a sick glove, he would have a hard time cracking an A ball lineup.

bagwell368
01-10-2013, 03:35 PM
If Iglesias didn't have such a sick glove, he would have a hard time cracking an A ball lineup.

D2 line-up.

MG956
01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
#14 on the list is Jose Iglesias.

23 year old whose glove is as promised, but bat is worse than feared.

So we hear, again & again. I will say this, he puts the bat on the ball. Just not in a good way.

Sue me but I'd put every effort into turning that around. Odds are slim we succeed but what do we have to lose for trying?

We can't trade him for anything & it isn't like we are in it to win it right now.

-Lavigne43-
01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Ehh, he struck out 20% of the time in the big leagues which is bad, around 13% in his 2 years in AAA which is good, 20% in AA. He looks totally over matched at the plate. Obviously you do everything you can do to turn him around.

His ranking varied more than anyone else. He wasn't in my top 20, others had him in the top 10

#13 on the list is Brandon Jacobs.

Just turned 22 year old corner outfielder. After putting up great numbers in Greenville his batting average and power dropped off significantly in Salem. Given his huge K% it's hard to believe his batting average drop is just an anomaly. His drop in power could have in part been because of his hamate bone injury.

Nomar
01-10-2013, 08:22 PM
I personally still like what Jacobs has. His batting average was 60 points lower after the All Star break, which is when news of his broken hamate bone surfaced. You can't pin all of his bad year on a hamate bone injury, but I'll cut him slack for it. If he does bad this year he's likely done, like the Oscar Tejada of 2014.

-Lavigne43-
01-10-2013, 08:34 PM
The hamate bone is a factor, but his K% was 26.2, and it has been well over 20% every year. With his K rates he should be hitting .250. His batting average could bounce back up with those K rates, but it will be because babips get a lot higher in the low minors. If he bounces back with the same rates he should be a trade chip.

Nomar
01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah when he hit .303 in 2011 he had a .381 BABIP. He's pretty fast and he has power obviously, but .381 definitely cant be sustainable for him. Some guys manage to have a high K% and BA, but it's hard to expect someone to. This is why I don't get how people think WMB will hit .280 this year. If Jacobs has 30 HR power then he may be able to make up for it though.

I think if all goes right for him he could be a ~.260, 30 HR, 10% BB, 15 SB guy. I really don't see him getting his K% under 20%. High risk, high reward guys are always entertaining, at least for a while, and I'm a believer in Jacobs so he' one of the guys I'm most eager to watch this year.

-Lavigne43-
01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Most good prospects have really high babips, so I see one that high as repeatable. If things go right I think he's pretty much where Bryce Brentz is right now in a couple years.

Nomar
01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Most good prospects have really high babips, so I see one that high as repeatable. If things go right I think he's pretty much where Bryce Brentz is right now in a couple years.

Im talking once he gets to the MLB. For example, Brentz would probably hit .250 - .260 in the MLB compared to his .290 BA in the minors last year.

-Lavigne43-
01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I know, I was talking more short term as a prospect.

bagwell368
01-10-2013, 09:34 PM
So we hear, again & again. I will say this, he puts the bat on the ball. Just not in a good way.

Sue me but I'd put every effort into turning that around. Odds are slim we succeed but what do we have to lose for trying?

We can't trade him for anything & it isn't like we are in it to win it right now.

Yeah, might as well put him in AAA and Winter Ball for the next year, and get him lifting weights and see what he can do. Worst case he is a SS/2B/3B late inning/spot starter for a few years until we get a better option, deal him, or his control times out. But - no reason to get nothing for him.

But for 2013, outside of Drew injuries and Sep call up, he won't be here.

-Lavigne43-
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Number 12 on the list is Drake Britton

23 year old lefty that throws a 91-95 MPH fastball, and a work in progress slider, changeup, curveball. Statistically, after starting the season with another dreadful stint in Salem, he was promoted to Portland and pitched well. Strong candidate to be turned into a reliever this year.

Station 13
01-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Britton unlikely to start again. I think we'll see him by mid season once a few relievers get removed.

-Lavigne43-
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I think he will begin the season as a starter, and will be moved to the pen if his secondary stuff hasn't improved.

@GordonEdes
He said he has hit 100postsurgery//RT @CEarlHenderson: @GordonEdes Does he have the fastball to compliment the change after surgery?

That's referring to Rubby

Also I forgot to post this a couple days ago

@PawSox
Jackie Bradley Jr. & Dan Butler will be at this year's Hot Stove Party at McCoy Stadium on Jan. 26 from 11-2. More players to be announced.

@PawSox
Allen Webster will join Jackie Bradley & Dan Butler at the Hot Stove Party on 1/26 from 11-2.

JBjr starting the year in AAA?

RedSoxtober
01-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Never said that the Red Sox always do that with their relievers, but for a guy who was solely a reliever in college and thought of as a future college going into the draft, I don't see how it's out of the question. Never once did i say that using a player as a reliever early in his minor league career was some sort of template for the Sox.
I did not say that you did. You are, however, falling into a pattern of suggesting where prospects will land and how they will get there based on what OTHER organizations will do while ignoring some very clear patterns in the Red Sox organization. When this is done with top prospects it smacks of drinking the overhype koolaid and finding some way to justify it.

Hm. He actually has above average contact rates but WELL below average BABIP. Coupled with his anemic SLG I'm guessing that he's just not strong enough to hit in MLB. Since he never plays a full season anyway, anyone up for letting him take a PED suspension to get the strength up?

BTW, I'd suggest that putting him in AAA is a reasonable way to "put every effort into turning that around." Strength/power, if indeed the problem, is not something he needs to face MLB pitching to develop. The catch-22 will be whether developing the strength diminishes his ability in the field.

Yeah when he hit .303 in 2011 he had a .381 BABIP. He's pretty fast and he has power obviously, but .381 definitely cant be sustainable for him. Some guys manage to have a high K% and BA, but it's hard to expect someone to. This is why I don't get how people think WMB will hit .280 this year. If Jacobs has 30 HR power then he may be able to make up for it though.

I think if all goes right for him he could be a ~.260, 30 HR, 10% BB, 15 SB guy. I really don't see him getting his K% under 20%. High risk, high reward guys are always entertaining, at least for a while, and I'm a believer in Jacobs so he' one of the guys I'm most eager to watch this year.

Jacobs is really not that fast. The Drive has had a history of being very aggressive on the basepaths and combined with the relative weakness of A-ball catchers his 2011 SB/CS numbers overstates his speed. With his power-hitting potential expect that to drop even more has he moves up the ladder.

Interesting read here (http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/the-michael-morse-approach/) with a double-purpose. First, the high-SLG with high-BABIP approach (likely for Jacobs if he makes it to MLB) tends to produce shooting stars with short but bright peaks. Second, be wary of the Morse-to-Sox talk if you envision him for any length of time; the quick drop in his slash could be a warning that the bright peak is already passing.

Nomar
01-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I did not say that you did. You are, however, falling into a pattern of suggesting where prospects will land and how they will get there based on what OTHER organizations will do while ignoring some very clear patterns in the Red Sox organization. When this is done with top prospects it smacks of drinking the overhype koolaid and finding some way to justify it.

Hm. He actually has above average contact rates but WELL below average BABIP. Coupled with his anemic SLG I'm guessing that he's just not strong enough to hit in MLB. Since he never plays a full season anyway, anyone up for letting him take a PED suspension to get the strength up?

Jacobs is really not that fast. The Drive has had a history of being very aggressive on the basepaths and combined with the relative weakness of A-ball catchers his 2011 SB/CS numbers overstates his speed. With his power-hitting potential expect that to drop even more has he moves up the ladder.

Interesting read here (http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/the-michael-morse-approach/) with a double-purpose. First, the high-SLG with high-BABIP approach (likely for Jacobs if he makes it to MLB) tends to produce shooting stars with short but bright peaks. Second, be wary of the Morse-to-Sox talk if you envision him for any length of time; the quick drop in his slash could be a warning that the bright peak is already passing.

I don't think you can completely rule out anything because every player is in someway unique. I'm not saying Maddox is going to be a RP because another player for a different team was, I was just trying to make a comparison. I know what you're saying, but I'm not overhyping anyone. Me saying Bogaerts might be here next spring isn't overhyping when you have guys like Mellen, Sickels, Callis, Law, ect. acknowledging that every day. In Bogaerts' case it's not easy to compare him to anyone who has been in the Red Sox organization anyway because he's the best pure hitting spec we've had in a long time. Better than Hanley by a decent margin hitting wise especially when considering Hanley didn't have the in-game power that Bogaerts did when he was in the minors. You can use what the Sox have done in the past with our specs to hypothesize how players are promoted, like Maddox, but there is no clear pattern in our system for specs like Bogaerts (who's defense is the key point for me).

That Morse article only makes me worry more about him. I should've made this more clear. I think our interest in him is strictly going to be used for leverage against Napoli. I don't want to give up anything like Miller/Breslow and specs for Morse. Napoli is a safer bet than Morse. Napoli's hip may be a problem, but Morse is already getting hurt pretty often. At least in Napoli's case there will likely be a provision in his contract, and no matter what happens we didnt give up useful talent for him. Then there's the issue with Morse's K/BB rates as that Fangraphs article shows. Let someone like NY overpay for him. He's already 30, is going to be a FA next year, and doesn't have a good chance of declining well given the fact that he already stikes out a lot.

MG956
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Re: Iggy

Yeah, might as well put him in AAA and Winter Ball for the next year, and get him lifting weights and see what he can do. Worst case he is a SS/2B/3B late inning/spot starter for a few years until we get a better option, deal him, or his control times out. But - no reason to get nothing for him.

But for 2013, outside of Drew injuries and Sep call up, he won't be here.

BTW, I'd suggest that putting him in AAA is a reasonable way to "put every effort into turning that around." Strength/power, if indeed the problem, is not something he needs to face MLB pitching to develop. The catch-22 will be whether developing the strength diminishes his ability in the field.

Is it that he is lacking strength or was he just never really challenged at the plate until recently? Is there a way to see what his numbers were before we signed him?

I have to think he took a giant leap from where he came from to filling in for the MFRS and facing pitchers like Verlander. Come on, this kid has to be facing a major learning curve.

Listen, it is a gut feeling, but I think Iggy will surprise people. My spring training for him would be with him at the plate facing real pitching every moment possible.

It's like this, an Iggy/Pedroia infield is priceless. All Iggy has to do is get a "little better". It may look like "alot better" by the numbers but he just needs to kick it up a notch.

-Lavigne43-
01-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Number 11 on the list is Brian Johnson

Just turned 22, lefty. Drafted with our 31st overall pick in the 2012 draft. Considered a low ceiling high floor type. Features a low 90's fastball, changeup, curve, and slider, with good command over his pitches.

RedSoxtober
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Re: Iggy

Is it that he is lacking strength or was he just never really challenged at the plate until recently? Is there a way to see what his numbers were before we signed him?

I have to think he took a giant leap from where he came from to filling in for the MFRS and facing pitchers like Verlander. Come on, this kid has to be facing a major learning curve.

Listen, it is a gut feeling, but I think Iggy will surprise people. My spring training for him would be with him at the plate facing real pitching every moment possible.

It's like this, an Iggy/Pedroia infield is priceless. All Iggy has to do is get a "little better". It may look like "alot better" by the numbers but he just needs to kick it up a notch.

Iglesias signed with the Sox from Cuba at age 19 so it's not like there's a whole lot of pre-Sox numbers that are meaningful. The assessment of scouts was that he'd be a great SS IF he could hit enough to play every day. At AAA his slugging is a meager .287. Combine that with a .302 OBP and you'd be very hard pressed to start him. AA (.315/.357) is slightly better but suffers from the usual sample size disclaimers. Even if it didn't, a .672 OPS SS would take a lot of hits when he killed rallies.

I'm suggesting it's strength because of the paltry SLG numbers. It's the only way that I can make sense of having above average contact numbers and still have terrible BABIP, AVG, OBP, and SLG.

Nomar
01-12-2013, 12:55 PM
I would think that for most players having a low k rate would also mean a lower BABIP.

But I would agree about strength being an issue for Iglesias. I think it's a reason he can't hit, but also a contributing favor to why he's a master at SS. Someone who I wish he could turn into is Andrelton Simmons.

-Lavigne43-
01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
#10 on the list is Brandon Workman

24 year old big right hander. Features low 90's fastball, a cutter which is considered his best pitch, a curve, and a change. He's put up solid numbers in his first two years in the system. End of the rotation potential, with becoming a bullpen arm more likely.

Station 13
01-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Hopefully a back end starter. The BP is too crowded.

Nomar
01-12-2013, 04:18 PM
He could be a setup guy. He would have really nice stuff as a one inning guy. He's going to bring value one way or another which is good.

Celtic AL
01-12-2013, 05:01 PM
hes a good trade piece

-Lavigne43-
01-12-2013, 10:54 PM
#9 on the list is Deven Marrero

22 year old shortstop. Considered to be good at the position with the potential to be a plus defender. Offensively he projects as an average, bottom of the lineup type hitter.

Station 13
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
hes a good trade piece

We need more relievers with Closer Experience™.

-Lavigne43-
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Number 8 on the list is Blake Swihart

20 year old catcher. Great hitting tools that didn't translate to offensive success during his first year in the minors. Questionable whether he has the body to stick at catcher.

Celtic AL
01-13-2013, 03:49 PM
We need more relievers with Closer Experience™.

:rolleyes:

Celtic AL
01-13-2013, 03:50 PM

20 year old catcher. Great hitting tools that didn't translate to offensive success during his first year in the minors. Questionable whether he has the body to stick at catcher.

i hope he has a great year this year

AI
01-13-2013, 05:30 PM
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20130112-hopes-high-for-red-sox-youth-movement.ece

-Lavigne43-
01-13-2013, 09:07 PM
#7 on the list is Bryce Brentz

Corner outfielder, just turned 24. Displays good power, has questionable plate discipline, strikes out a ton.

avrpatsfan
01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
#7 on the list is Bryce Brentz

Corner outfielder, just turned 24. Displays good power, has questionable plate discipline, strikes out a ton.
He's a pretty solid defender though, and has a plus arm.

Could be a .260/.330/.510 hitter at his peak if things go right for him.

-Lavigne43-
01-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Other than his arm I have heard bad things about his defense. I forgot who it was, but one of the prospect gurus had scouts telling them that his defense was surprisingly bad this year. The numbers you listed are probably his ceiling, which is a good player.

avrpatsfan
01-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Other than his arm I have heard bad things about his defense. I forgot who it was, but one of the prospect gurus had scouts telling them that his defense was surprisingly bad this year. The numbers you listed are probably his ceiling, which is a good player.
My opinion is just based on the limited amount of footage I've seen of him. He's not that fast but it seemed like he read the ball off the bat pretty well in the video I saw.

And you're right about that being his ceiling. It's still more likely he'll end up doing worst than that, especially if he can't cut down on his strikeouts and increase his walk rate.

AI
01-14-2013, 02:48 AM
.270/.340/.500

That is the type of hitter I think Brentz will become, however, I might be biased because I've always been higher on him than most people.

Nomar
01-14-2013, 03:09 AM
.255/.310/.480 is what I see if he plays every day. I think he will beat up on lefties and be a good platoon option though.

ZHawk1123
01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
So he'll essentially be Jonny Gomes at his ceiling?

RedSoxtober
01-14-2013, 09:54 AM

i hope he has a great year this year

In his defense, his .275/.312/.419 second half was not bad for a 20yr old in his first season of pro ball. His offense came along nicely during the season though overall I was not nearly as impressed with him as I thought I'd be of a $2M+ draft baby.

Definitely needs to hit the muscle milk. I think my 14yo son has as much bulk as he does (I also think my son is taller than Vinicio regardless of what the Sox list his height).

RedSoxtober
01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice feature on JBJr here (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2013/01/12/jackie-bradley-red-sox-prospect-preparing-for-opportunity/bVRTBfU8aW6IhdWFplPBiK/story.html) as the Globe gets into a retrospective on the Development program graduates. Really impressed with the kid's maturity. I wish more posters, let alone players, were as levelheaded and well prepped.

RedSoxtober
01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Q: Will Iglesias ever hit?

I think [Iglesias] can and will hit better because of his extraordinary hand-eye coordination. I go back to the improvements Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel made after they got to the major leagues. Dustin Pedroia has spent a lot of time working with Iglesias in Calif. this winter, says he made changes and will come to spring training a completely different hitter. So we shall see. I don't think going back to Triple-A for a couple of months will hurt him, but that defense is difficult to overlook particularly when they're hoping to bring 5-6 young pitchers in the major leagues in the next two years.

Q: Which AA/AAA prospect is closest to helping?
My guess is that Ruby DeLarosa will be ready by June. I saw him pitch in ST for the Dodgers two years ago and Don Mattingly thought he would be their third starter and I think he can help them quickly as a spot starter and long man. He does have very good stuff. The one that interests me most that I think will come along fast, but perhaps not a No. 1 starter, is Brandon Workman.
Peter Gammons in a chat @ Boston Globe

Nomar
01-14-2013, 01:13 PM
That's probably the highest I've heard someone be on Workman.

-Lavigne43-
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Gammons overrates prospects more than anyone.

Number 6 on the list is Henry Owens

20 year old lefty who is still growing into his frame. Currently throws a low 90's fastball, a curve, and a change, all with a deceptive delivery. Struck out a ton of batters, but tended to tire and get beat up after a few innings.

SoxFan101NlB
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
He is high on my list, Owens that is. If he can get his strength and conditioning up, he could be a #2 easily. He gets hit around once he loses his steam. His high K rate is so promising...albeit vs lower level competition.

SoxFan101NlB
01-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Side note...Alixon Suarez is one of my sleepers this year. I think he is going to jump into the top 15 prospect lists.

Celtic AL
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
2013 i think will be a big year for Henry Owens! i really love his stuff

Celtic AL
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Travis Shaw is my Sleeper

Nomar
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Jerez and Henry Ramos will be two more to keep an eye on. I want to say Perkins too but his K rates are very ugly so far.

AI
01-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Ramos has performed well in Winter League, walking quite a bit which is a good sign for a player with his power potential. Hopefully, it translates to the minors this year and he continues his progress.

-Lavigne43-
01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Number 5 on the list is Garin Cecchini

21 year old 3b. Lefty hitter who has put up good all around numbers in the low minors. Has hit a lot of doubles, home run power has yet to show, and he has struggled vs lefties. Average speed, but smart baserunner as he showed with 51/57 SB.

-Lavigne43-
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Number 4 on the list is Allen Webster

22 year old RHP, who really only started pitching after he was drafted. Features mid 90's sinking fastball, a plus changeup, a plus slider, and a curve. Needs to work on command.

AI.
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Webster has potential. I love the fact that his fastball has natural sinking action to it, it's promising.

Hopefully he turns into Derek Lowe.

Station 13
01-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Webster allow just 2HR in 130IP last season.

-Lavigne43-
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
I love Webster. Out of all the pitchers in the system right now he has the highest ceiling in my opinion. 3 plus pitches! I've read so many reports where scouts/analysts differ on what his best pitch is, because it depends on when you see him. It's just a consistency/command/stamina thing with him. Barring injuries/complete decline in stuff, he seems to be at the very least an elite reliever.

Nomar
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Agreed. RDLR has the flash with an 100 MPH fastball, but Webster has three plus pitches including a great sinker that play well in our division which is filled with short fences. It's great to know that at least we can have an 8th inning RP who never gives up HRs.

bagwell368
01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah Webster looks like a solid #3/4 SP starting in '14 or by mid '15 at the latest. He's a SP.

RDLR is not going to make it as a SP IMO, he's for the 8th.

bruins>habs
01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Yeah Webster looks like a solid #3/4 SP starting in '14 or by mid '15 at the latest. He's a SP.

RDLR is not going to make it as a SP IMO, he's for the 8th.

I've seen a lot of people say they think he'll be a bullpen guy. What's the reasoning?

-Lavigne43-
01-15-2013, 08:09 PM
I think that's more his reasonable floor. But he has had command issues, and from what I know only has 3 pitches. I've never watched him pitch a game, so I don't know how his velocity plays over an entire game. The fastball/changeup combo screams nasty reliever though.

I wasn't really including him when I said Webster has the highest ceiling in the system, I was only including official prospects. It's tough to argue Webster has a higher ceiling than Rubby. Rubby has that lights out high 90's fastball, the changeup that some grade as plus plus, and that slider that flashes as a plus pitch. If he could develop another solid pitch, and get better command over his pitches, he could be a top of the rotation guy. He's on the smaller side for a pitcher though, so he might not last that long.

-Lavigne43-
01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Number 3 on the list is Matt Barnes.

22 year old RHP. Currently throws mid 90's fastball, curveball that flashes as plus, and a changeup that has shown potential, but is still a work in progress. Didn't throw his bleh slider during his first year in the pros. Showed good command of his pitches last season. Dominated in Greenville (where he should have as a college pitcher), and did well in Salem.

rollins94
01-15-2013, 08:49 PM
I've seen a lot of people say they think he'll be a bullpen guy. What's the reasoning?

Command. Ability to locate change and curve is what seems to concern most IMO

Nomar
01-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Technically he has 4 pitches, but throws a curveball only vs LHP and slider only vs RHP. So pretty much FB, CU, breaking ball.

-Lavigne43-
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Number 2 on the list is Jackie Bradley Jr.

22 year old centerfielder. Had a monster debut season. Showed great plate discipline, while hitting for a high average and a lot of doubles. Excellent defender. Average speed, but gets great jumps and reads on balls, and he has a cannon arm.

Station 13
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
i wonder who is #1

Station 13
01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Number 2 on the list is Jackie Bradley Jr.

22 year old centerfielder. Had a monster debut season. Showed great plate discipline, while hitting for a high average and a lot of doubles. Excellent defender. Average speed, but gets great jumps and reads on balls, and he has a cannon arm.

I hope Fenway becomes a ping pong machine for Bradley. What an exciting player.

SHONIE
01-16-2013, 12:26 PM
I hope Fenway becomes a ping pong machine for Bradley. What an exciting player.

:eyebrow: pinball? ;)

Super.
01-16-2013, 01:24 PM
guiz i wonder who #1 is. I think it might be lars anderson

Nomar
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I heard its gonna be that Mander Blowfarts guy

AI.
01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Obviously its Mauro Gomez, retards. :pity:

-Lavigne43-
01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Number 1 on the list is Xander Bogaerts

20 year old SS. Unanimously voted #1, he also happens to be the youngest player in the top 15. Has shown power to all fields. Huge ceiling, potential to be a perennial allstar, middle of the order bat. Questionable if he will be able to stick to SS as he continues to grow. Great makeup, hard worker, dream prospect.

-Lavigne43-
01-16-2013, 07:15 PM
A fresh article on Xander http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Bogaerts-eyes-spot-as-Red-Sox-shortstop-?blockID=823951&feedID=3352

Some quotes

"I can't control that stuff,'' said Bogaerts when asked about his career trajectory. "I can just work hard and play hard every day, wherever I'm at, Portland or Pawtucket. That's for the (front) office guys to make a decision on that. I can just control what I can control."

"I'm working hard to try to stay at shortstop,'' said Bogaerts, "(watching) my weight. I don't have a problem with weight, as in getting fatter and stuff, but I'm just working hard to stay at the position. Wherever the organization wants me to be, whatever position, I'm open to it."

"Shortstop is my position right now," said Boagerts with some diplomacy, "and that's what I'm working at to become better at. That's what the organization wants me to do right now."

"I try not to worry about that stuff," said Bogaerts. "It might get you mentally distracted, so I leave that up to the (organization). It's great (to be wanted), but it's also good that the Red Sox said no. That's even better."

"Defense and speed,'' he said with a smile when asked what he's concentrating on. "I work on my hitting a lot, but this year, I'm really focusing on my defense and speed. Last year, I worked on my defense and it was better. This year, it's speed. Hopefully, I can be a better all-around player so whatever the big league club needs, I can (provide).''

Nomar
01-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Lmao at whoever chanced the thread title

AI.
01-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Michael Almanzar :laugh2:

-Lavigne43-
01-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Got to get the page views, lol.

jn6474
01-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Do u guys think Lavarnway can still be the player he looked like he would have been? Or has he fallen that far in such a short time. I think if he goes back to aaa and regains some confidence he can build that potential back up.

Nomar
01-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Do u guys think Lavarnway can still be the player he looked like he would have been? Or has he fallen that far in such a short time. I think if he goes back to aaa and regains some confidence he can build that potential back up.

If you're referring to the fact that he isn't on the list it's because he no longer qualifies as a prospect. He was a rookie last season technically. His potential remains the same in my eyes.

AI.
01-16-2013, 07:47 PM
What exactly are you talking about? The list or that he didn't hit last year when called up? I believe that his potential remains the same. The fact that he has made huge strides (defensively) as a catcher is good news. His bat will play at the position, plus he has good discipline/plate apprach. I don't think you'll see the massive numbers he put up in the minors when he was splitting time between DH/C, but I do think he's definitely a guy who will be good for us going forward.

jn6474
01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
IK he isnt a prospect im just saying i still think the kid will contribute in the long term

bagwell368
01-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Why not? He has very little minor league experience compared to say Salty - although Lavarnway has shown defensive skills above Salty in some ways. He's got 5 years of control left. They need to let him play. I see his as a potential starter by no later than '15, not a potential back-up.

Station 13
01-17-2013, 12:05 AM
michael who¿

AI.
01-17-2013, 12:08 AM
http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Bogaerts-eyes-spot-as-Red-Sox-shortstop-?blockID=823951&feedID=3352

RedSoxtober
01-17-2013, 10:47 AM

I hate you.

Melo15
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM

You're my hero.

Station 13
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Bradley and Brentz #youthmovement
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?tcid=mm_bos_vid&c_id=bos

Nomar
01-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Awesome video. Webster is officially Webby and I loled when JBJ asked Bogaerts if he's hit puberty.

tiger_ted
01-17-2013, 02:32 PM

They seem like a good bunch of lads.

Station 13
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
I saw Kalish yesterday on FOX25 local. Is he living in the city now?

Nomar
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Yeah seems like he is

Super.
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I saw Kalish yesterday on FOX25 local. Is he living in the city now?

Pretty sure he is. He was asking for people to come down to Boston Commons to play frisbee with him a few months back

avrpatsfan
01-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Almanzar>>>Bogaerts without a doubt

goshhhjosh
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
The posted video was hilarious...

Enjoyed the part where Brentz and Britton were ragging on JBJr. for calling him off.

AI
01-29-2013, 06:41 AM
Red Sox sign 16 year old twins from Venezuela.

http://www.nuevaprensa.web.ve/npo/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8533

Red Sox also sign 16 year old Raiwinson Lameda, OF.

http://www.lasnoticiasdecojedes.com/noticias/deportes/raiwinson-lameda-firmo-con-los-medias-rojas-de-boston

Saw these links on SoxProspects, hadn't seen them posted here.

RedSoxtober
01-29-2013, 03:33 PM
^^ Google Translate's version of one of the sentences:
"The firm was headed by Angel Esco-bar, the talent hunt badge big tent"

:confused:

On the plus side, the last 16yr old twins we signed were named Xander and Jair.

grandsalami
01-29-2013, 11:23 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130129&content_id=41247106&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_41247106

20 - Xander Bogaerts, SS (BOS)

32 - Jackie Bradley, OF (BOS)

38 - Matt Barnes, RHP (BOS)

96 - Jose Iglesias, SS (BOS)

94 - Henry Owens, LHP (BOS)

71 - Allen Webster, RHP (BOS)

AI
01-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Mayo is so bad at his job, like really bad.

RedSoxtober
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
I occasionally check out The Scouting Book (http://www.scoutingbook.com/prospects/) because of their unique ranking system. Theirs is a blend of the authors perspectives AND the top prospect sites. Right now it looks like they're primarily the authors' opinions while they await the 2013 lists from other sites.

#14: Xander Bogaerts
#44: Matt Barnes
#88: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
#106: Allen Webster
#147: Blake Swihart
#152: Anthony Ranaudo
#167: Henry Owens
#186: Jose Iglesias
#199: Brandon Jacobs

Nomar
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Mayo is beyond bad. 3/5 for Bogaerts power and Iglesias not only in top 100, but ahead of Trevor Story.

Not a fan of that list either RST. Ranaudo very high and Cecchini not even in top 200? Pretty weird IMO.

Station 13
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Why do they hate Brentz so much?

I'd replace Iggy with Brentz or Cecchini
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/assets/images/1/5/8/41248158/cuts/480x380_BOS_2013_100prospects_bsg7qmnp_ojzeos7e.jp g

Station 13
01-31-2013, 02:00 AM
BA handbook rank Red Sox system #6.

10. Bogaerts
32. Bradley
43. Barnes

AI
02-02-2013, 11:19 AM
BA handbook rank Red Sox system #6.

10. Bogaerts
32. Bradley
43. Barnes

These are Callis' rankings, here's how the other 3 BA writers ranked them:

Cooper:
Bogaerts (6)
JBJ (31)
Barnes (43)

Lingo:
Bogaerts (5)
JBJ (43)
Barnes (46)

Manuel:
Bogaerts (8)
JBJ (37)
Barnes (43)

Celtic AL
02-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Mayo is a joke. is a top 10 Prospect in baseball & Jose Iglesias shouldn't be near this list

AI
02-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Sickels Top 50 Hitters/Pitchers

Hitters: (Grade A's: Profar, Taveras, Myers, Bogaerts)
4) Xander Bogaerts A
27) Jackie Bradley B+
49) Garin Cecchini B (8th highest B)

Pitchers: (Grade A's: Bundy, Cole, Miller, Fernandez)
27) Matt Barnes B+
43) Allen Webster B (8th highest grade B)

grandsalami
02-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Mayo is a joke. is a top 10 Prospect in baseball & Jose Iglesias shouldn't be near this list

Keith law is a bigger joke. Has the sox system ranked 17th! worse then the yankees (in top 10)

Melo15
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
I saw Law's rankings but I don't have insider so I can't see the justification for it. Could anyone with insider sum it up for me? Really caught me by surprise when I saw his list.

Nomar
02-04-2013, 01:13 PM
I saw Law's rankings but I don't have insider so I can't see the justification for it. Could anyone with insider sum it up for me? Really caught me by surprise when I saw his list.

Because you touch yourself at night.

Nomar
02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
ESPN's rankings (system rankings) were weighted heavily by the amount of major-league ready talent instead of ceiling. He thinks Bogaerts stays at SS, likes JBJ, and was impressed with Barnes and Owens last year. Doesn't seem down on too many of our top specs. I wouldn't worry about the rankings too much.

Station 13
02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Law said we have little/no big league ready talents.

But he has the MFY at #10 when the system has even lower talents in A/AA ball than we do.

Melo15
02-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Because you touch yourself at night.

That's a fair argument. Daytime scares me too much.

Nomar
02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
That's a fair argument. Daytime scares me too much.

But really this is for you, Keith Law: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qosNCbmnTPY

JMP83
02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
If I remember right, Law is REALLY high on Mason Williams, and also loves himself toolsy players, seems like he's willing to overlook non-big-league-readiness in the face of that. Williams, Austin, Sanchez, etc. all have very high ceilings and a bit more of a track record of success than Swihart.

Also, from reading his chats, it's important to note that Law also really likes RDLR and pretty sure he ranked Middlebrooks on his Top 25 under 25 list.

-Lavigne43-
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
ESPN's rankings (system rankings) were weighted heavily by the amount of major-league ready talent instead of ceiling. He thinks Bogaerts stays at SS, likes JBJ, and was impressed with Barnes and Owens last year. Doesn't seem down on too many of our top specs. I wouldn't worry about the rankings too much.

I don't think so. Like everyone, he probably favors major league ready talent, but Law has ranked very heavily on ceiling the last 4 or so years, I've heard him say that on podcasts many times. He used to balance in prospects he thought would be solid/good in the big leagues, but he started weighing heavily on ceiling because he thought that made a more exciting list. I'm pretty sure he ranks the obvious top 4 as

1. Xander
2/3. JBjr/Webster
4. Barnes

So it makes sense that he ranks us worse than anyone else does. The only one he probably sees with elite potential is Xander, the rest either have only good ceilings, or are far away. It's a little weird since we probably have 4 in his top 100, but the difference between 17 and 12 in these things really isn't that much. He probably has Xander very high, with JBjr, Webster, and Barnes 50'ish and later. Also on the Yankees, I know he absolutely loves Mason Williams and some of their other young players.

AI
02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Baseball America Top 30

1. Xander Bogaerts, ss
2. Jackie Bradley, of
3. Matt Barnes, rhp
4. Allen Webster, rhp
5. Henry Owens, lhp
6. Blake Swihart, c
7. Garin Cecchini, 3b
8. Bryce Brentz, of
9. Jose Iglesias, ss
10. Deven Marrero, ss
11. Drake Britton, lhp
12. Brandon Workman, rhp
13. Brandon Jacobs, of
14. Anthony Ranaudo, rhp
15. Brian Johnson, lhp
16. Tzu-Wei Lin, ss
17. Jose Vinicio, ss
18. Alex Wilson, rhp
19. Christian Vazquez, c
20. Manuel Margot, of
21. Pat Light, rhp
22. Frank Montas, rhp
23. Travis Shaw, 1b/3b
24. Sean Coyle, 2b
25. Keury de la Cruz, of
26. Ty Buttrey, rhp
27. Cody Kukuk, lhp
28. Simon Mercedes, rhp
*29. Stolmy Pimentel, rhp
30. Miguel Pena, lhp
31. Mookie Betts, 2b/ss

-Lavigne43-
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
It's a nice list, I always like BA and Callis the best. No real surprises, nice to see Lin that high. My only small gripes would be that Iglesias is too high and Buttrey too low.

AI
02-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Is it wrong that I like 20 through 28 more than 10 through 18? :laugh2:

Station 13
02-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Is it wrong that I like 20 through 28 more than 10 through 18? :laugh2:

Because you touch yourself at night as well?

-Lavigne43-
02-05-2013, 01:08 AM
It just means you like new toys that aren't dirty/broken/boring yet.

AI
02-05-2013, 09:41 AM
It just means you like new toys that aren't dirty/broken/boring yet.

No wonder I gave up on life when I found out Santa didn't exist.

Nomar
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Spoilers dude! Wtf

AI
02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Oops, somebody edit my post before jbay finds out the truth about Santa.

Nomar
02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
:laugh2:

Melo15
02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Lol you don't think Santa is real? ****ing idiot. Let me guess you thought Air Bud was fake too :rolleyes:

AI
02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I knew Air Bud is real, he signed my poster.

Melo15
02-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Such a groupie

grandsalami
02-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Keith laws top 100 is out, seems like other then Bogarts he is really low on a lot of them

Station 13
02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
K.Law

5 Xander Bogaerts SS BOS 6-3 175
40 Jackie Bradley Jr. CF BOS 5-10 180
63 Allen Webster RHP BOS 6-3 185
79 Matt Barnes RHP BOS 6-4 205

Webster over Barnes? Did Webster suddenly learns how to walk less?

Sweet_Caroline
02-05-2013, 01:09 PM
I think one of the main reasons for Webster's ranking above Barnes' is because Webster played at a higher level last year and is younger than Barnes (albeit not by much). Klaw tends to knock players that play at lower levels than others of similar ages.

Boston-Born
02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Jurickson Profar has informed the Rangers that he will not play for the Netherlands in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
Profar was listed on the Netherlands' provisional roster that was announced last month, but he wants to spend spring training with the Rangers. However, the 20-year-old is unlikely to begin the season in the majors unless there's an injury.

roto

Less SS competition for Xander

-Lavigne43-
02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
It's not a surprise, I wrote yesterday that it would be the case. I agree with it. Webster currently has a better mix of pitches and stuff. He's the same age, yet at a more advance level. Lets see how Barnes does at AA before we anoint him as a great prospect. He's overrated by most because he dominated low-A, a level he was already more advanced than. As an elite college arm it would have been surprising if he didn't dominate their. What JBjr did at Salem was way more impressive to me. At a younger age Webster pitched better than Barnes did in A+.

-Lavigne43-
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
roto

Less SS competition for Xander

If all of them were starting, Profar would probably play 2b, Simmons SS, Xander 3B. This is disappointing news, it would have been cool to see all that young talent play with each other.

Nomar
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Barnes has a lot to prove. He killed A ball, but he should have. Was he tired at the end of the year or overrated? Webster has the stuff and Law probably believes he'll have the command too.

Nomar
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Owens was in Law's "10 Who Just Missed" list

-Lavigne43-
02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Barnes has a lot to prove. He killed A ball, but he should have. Was he tired at the end of the year or overrated? Webster has the stuff and Law probably believes he'll have the command too.

Webster's right around where everyone else will rank him, so Law isn't saying anything special about him. He's just not as high on Barnes as everyone else. In all the other lists Barnes will be somewhere around JBjr.

-Lavigne43-
02-05-2013, 07:19 PM
From his chat

Chris (Boston)

Is Allen Webster ahead of Matt Barnes simply because he is closer to major league ready?
Klaw (3:25 PM)

Webster has way better stuff, is a better athlete, and has a better delivery. Barnes has much better present command.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/46997

Station 13
02-06-2013, 09:16 AM
5. Xander Bogaerts

"a year of full-season ball at shortstop with continued work on maintaining his conditioning has his odds of remaining in the middle of the field up over even money. And a shortstop who can hit like this is a pretty special commodity."

"a very easy, picturesque right-handed swing, with great hand acceleration that leads to surprisingly hard contact ... He gets his front leg down a little late, which could lead to timing issues but hasn't so far."

"not likely to become a plus defender at short, but even fringe-average defense there would make him a five-win player or more given his bat ... I like his chances to do just that."

40. Jackie Bradley Jr.

"a potential Gold Glove defender in center ... who should hit for average and get on base as long as he doesn't overextend himself and try to hit for power."

"just an average runner but his reads on balls in center rival those of the other elite defensive center fielders in the minors, even ahead of guys like Albert Almora and Mason Williams."

"His lower half can be a little noisy at the plate, getting his front foot down late, gliding over his front side and sometimes even drifting back mid-swing. But when he keeps his swing short and simple he generates hard line-drive contact from foul line to foul line, with doubles power that might max out around 10-12 homers a year. When he over-rotates to try to hit the ball out, he doesn't make enough contact and the result of the tradeoff is a net negative."

"best attribute as a hitter has been his plate discipline, producing high walk rates in the minors with good pitch recognition"

63. Allen Webster

"three plus pitches and looks like he should be at or near the top of someone's rotation, but as a converted position player, he has struggled to develop enough fastball command to translate the raw stuff into on-field success."

"will sit at 94 mph with his fastball and can reach 97 with plus sink that led to a 2:1 groundout-to-fly out ratio in AA ... with a swing-and-miss changeup with good action and a slider that will flash plus but isn't as consistent as the other two pitches."

"a former shortstop, he is athletic and can repeat his delivery well, but he lacks the feel for pitching that he'll need to succeed as a starter even at Triple-A, both in terms of just throwing strikes and in using and mixing his pitches more effectively."

"The Red Sox ... view Webster as a potential No. 2 starter. I see that ceiling, but a lot of work between here and there."

79. Matt Barnes

"Barnes shocked a lot of scouts this year with the leap forward in his fastball command, working with it up and down, side to side, so even though he wasn't consistently 93-97 as he was in college he could still get outs and set up his off-speed stuff."

"He's ditched the below-average slider that screwed him up in his junior year at UConn and pitched most of the season with an above-average downer curveball that he could throw for strikes. His changeup gradually improved over the year as the Red Sox forced him to throw it a number of times each game, but even in Salem he was still getting hitters on both sides of the plate out with the fastball."

"Barnes was a little experienced to spend the whole year in A-ball, so his stat line overstates how advanced he is, but he looks like a solid mid-rotation guy who'll be at least league-average, with a chance to profile better than that because of how well he locates the fastball."

101. Henry Owens

"Owens works at just 88-92 mph with a big, slow curveball and some feel for a change, but has posted high strikeout totals in the low minors because he hides the ball so well behind his 6-foot-6 frame that hitters don't pick it up, swinging through 88 mph like it's 94 mph. That can work for guys in the big leagues, but I'd like to see Owens, who doesn't have a ton of projection for future velocity gains, do it against a higher caliber of hitter before buying in fully."

Nomar
02-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I bet he sees Brentz as a AAAA or possibly a platoon or PH OF. I would agree

ZHawk1123
02-06-2013, 10:00 AM
I bet he sees Brentz as a AAAA or possibly a platoon or PH OF. I would agree

I'd agree with that also... I don't have high hopes for Brentz like most do.

Nomar
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Prospect Smackdown between JBJ and Goodwin (Sickels): http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/6/3950826/prospects-jackie-bradley-red-sox-brian-goodwin-nationals

-Lavigne43-
02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Nice interview with Henry Owens http://milbprospective.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/prospect-qa-redsox-lhp-henry-owens-___bigo___-on-gaining-man-strength-aiming-for-prices-fastball-and-zitos-curve-more/

AI
02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8914415/american-league-east-top-10-prospects-team-mlb

Anybody got insider? Everything on ESPN requires you to be an Insider nowadays.

RedSoxtober
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Law said we have little/no big league ready talents.

But he has the MFY at #10 when the system has even lower talents in A/AA ball than we do.
That would be perfectly consistent with the suggestion that MLB ready talent factors into the ranking. Talent in the lower tiers is, by definition, not "MLB ready."

K.Law

5 Xander Bogaerts SS BOS 6-3 175
40 Jackie Bradley Jr. CF BOS 5-10 180
63 Allen Webster RHP BOS 6-3 185
79 Matt Barnes RHP BOS 6-4 205

Webster over Barnes? Did Webster suddenly learns how to walk less?
If you weigh accomplishment equal to or greater than ceiling then yes, without a doubt. While I like Barnes, Webster is an even money bet to start at PAW while Barnes goes to AA.

Tired, I believe. He hit the wall right about the time that he would have hit his max innings from college ball.

Nomar
02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm with you RST, but I can't deny that I want to be of that opinion too. I don't know how to explain it other than this: when you see Barnes pitch, he has a big presence. Something tells you the guy is a beast. Even when he wasn't performing well in his freshman year at Uconn we all thought he was going to be nasty. I like Barnes more tha. Webster and see him having an easier time reaching or coming close to his ceiling.

-Lavigne43-
02-07-2013, 01:58 PM
The explanation is that you're biased.

Nomar
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
:laugh2: oh well.

But it's not bias that makes me take Barnes over Webster. Webster's command isn't there, and Barnes is. I have more faith in Barnes' stuff improving than I do in Webster finding the command for his pitches. If Webster does though, he'll likely be the better pitcher considering his stuff.

-Lavigne43-
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Barnes has 3 pitches. A plus fastball, a good curve (though it's a hard pitch to project), and an average change. Webster's stuff blows that away. Barnes needs to develop another good pitch to surpass him, and not that ****** slider he was throwing in college.

I think you're overstating Webster's command issues a little. He's not walking guys like Andrew Brackman. His walk rates are better than RDLR's. His command needs to improve, but it's not horrific. Hes only pitched for a short time in his life, so I like his chances of improving with more experience.

Nomar
02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Personally I like both of their chances, so if I came across as doubting Webster ability to be a mid rotation starter that's not the case. I would think odds are that Barnes adds a cutter or a 2-seamer. Both of which I don't see him having trouble develop. I like both though.

-Lavigne43-
02-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Law's top ten is

1 Xander Bogaerts
2. Jackie Bradley Jr
3. Allen Webster
4. Matt Barnes
5. Henry Owens
6. Deven Marrero
7. Blake Swihart
8. Garin Cecchini
9. Drake Britton
10. Brian Johnson

He mentions Margot, Kukuk, and Augliera as sleepers.

-Lavigne43-
02-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Personally I like both of their chances, so if I came across as doubting Webster ability to be a mid rotation starter that's not the case. I would think odds are that Barnes adds a cutter or a 2-seamer. Both of which I don't see him having trouble develop. I like both though.

Everyone has a cutter, I think the pitch is not as effective (if it's not plus) as it used to be because of overexposure. Add a cutter or 2seam to his mix, and he still looks like a mid-rotation starter at best to me, unless the pitch is great. Barnes has shown very good command of his fastball, so I wonder if an average cutter would really even help him that much. If Webster develops better command, mostly with his fastball, I can see him being a two with his mix and stuff.

To get to that ceiling Barnes changeup needs to improve a lot, or he needs another pitch that is distinct from his other offerings. A split would really go well with his offerings. Plus fastball, good curve, split, decent change, good control, sounds like a #2 to me. I hope Dempster takes a liking to him and shows him how to throw it, like how Schilling taught Paps. I'd take him ahead of Webster and RDLR if he did that, sliders scare me long term and Webster and RDLR could be volatile. Right now I have him behind both.

AI
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20130207-friday-night-lights-as-red-sox-scouts-prep-for-draft-every-opportunity-to-see-top-talent-counts.ece

-Lavigne43-
02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
BA Top 100

8. Bogaerts
31. Bradley
40. Barnes
49. Webster
91. Owens

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/02/2013-top-100-prospects-list/

AI
02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Boom. Bogaerts could end up being the #1 overall prospect by next year if he continues.

bruins>habs
02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Who is this Henry Owens guy? I know he's a tall lefty but is he anything special?

-Lavigne43-
02-19-2013, 08:45 PM
He's a young projectable lefty. I think he led the entire minor leagues in strikeout rates last year, which is probably the cause of a lot of his love. He's the first pitcher out of high school that the Red Sox have started at Low-A Greenville since Casey Kelly, so that's impressive too. He's far away, he's a high ceiling/low floor type.

bruins>habs
02-19-2013, 10:23 PM
He's a young projectable lefty. I think he led the entire minor leagues in strikeout rates last year, which is probably the cause of a lot of his love. He's the first pitcher out of high school that the Red Sox have started at Low-A Greenville since Casey Kelly, so that's impressive too. He's far away, he's a high ceiling/low floor type.

thanks for the insight....I use to be crazy into Baseball prospects and the sox. I don't what happened, i've drifted away so far and focused some much love for the B's that i've grown away from the sox a little. I want to get back into it though.

-Lavigne43-
02-19-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure how much attention you have paid, but if it's the minimum soxprospects.com is a terrific site with information on the prospects in the system.

-Lavigne43-
02-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Speier blogged the snippets following the players

No. 8: Xander Bogaerts, SS, 20 years old

Bogaerts ranked as the top power hitting prospect and top athlete in the Sox system. He’s expected to start the coming year in Double-A Portland. Though the Sox believe that Bogaerts can remain at short for the season to come (and perhaps beyond) despite a powerful frame that seems more typically suited for a corner position, he’s getting his first exposure to third base right now in preparation for the World Baseball Classic.

Outlook: “Bogaerts likely will open 2013 in Double-A to focus on his plate discipline, but Boston has had a hard time holding him back. He easily could hit his way to Triple-A Pawtucket before he turns 21. The Red Sox don’t have a clear starter at shortstop, so it’s not out of the question that he could put himself in the major league mix before the end of the season. More realistically, Bogaerts will make his Boston debut in 2014. Whether he does so at shortstop likely depends on how much slick-fielding Jose Iglesias shows at the plate between now and then.”

No. 31: Jackie Bradley Jr., CF, 22 years old

The publication named Bradley the best defensive outfielder, best outfield arm, best hitter for average and hitter with the best strike zone discipline in the Red Sox system.

Outlook: “Ticketed for Triple-A to start 2013, Bradley has no major adjustments to make. He’s a better center fielder than Jacoby Ellsbury, who becomes a free agent after 2013.”
No. 40: Matt Barnes, RHP, 22 years old

Barnes was credited by the publication as having the best fastball and curveball in the Red Sox system. (For what it’s worth, based on its inconsistency to date, I would rank his curveball behind that of other pitchers in the system, including Brandon Workman. According to talent evaluators, it does have a chance to be a plus pitch, but it’s not there yet.)

Outlook: “If Barnes can refine his secondary pitches, he can become a No. 2 or 3 starter. After easing him into pro ball with 120 innings, Boston will turn him loose in 2013. He’ll start in Double-A and could push for a spot in the big league rotation by the end of the season.”

No. 49: Allen Webster, RHP, 23 years old

Webster, who combines a power sinker with an excellent changeup and a slider that is, at times, a swing-and-miss pitch, was acquired from the Dodgers in the blockbuster trade of last August. He’s slated to open the year in the rotation of Triple-A Pawtucket.

Outlook: “Some scouts prefer him to Matt Barnes because he has a deeper repertoire, though Webster still must learn to harness his stuff. A potential No. 2 or 3 starter, he’s ready to graduate to Triple-A and could make his major league debut in 2013.”

No. 91: Henry Owens, LHP, 20 years old

Owens should spend the coming season in High-A Salem after an intriguing professional debut in 2012 that saw him strike out 11.5 batters per nine innings in Single-A Greenville. He was one of the youngest pitchers in the South Atlantic League. Baseball America rated his changeup as the best in the system.

Outlook: “Owens is further away than Matt Barnes or Allen Webster but may have more upside. He’ll head to high Class A in 2013 and should advance quickly as soon as he starts to locate his pitches with more precision.”

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/02/19/baseball-america-names-five-red-sox-prospects-among-top-100/

Really surprising that they ranked Owens changeup as the best in the organization. Everything I've read on him previously has said that it is a below average, work in progress pitch. To rank it above Webster's is weird.

RedSoxtober
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Just piggybacking here. Like a lot of tall, thin pitchers Owens can struggle keeping all the parts straight in his delivery leading to some erratic offspeed stuff. Whether it was the coaching or the reps he seemed to pull things together the further he got into the season and cut down on both his BB/9 and the number of big innings he had. Pretty good stuff for a 19yo playing 2yrs younger than his typical competition.

bruins>habs
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Speier blogged the snippets following the players

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/02/19/baseball-america-names-five-red-sox-prospects-among-top-100/

Really surprising that they ranked Owens changeup as the best in the organization. Everything I've read on him previously has said that it is a below average, work in progress pitch. To rank it above Webster's is weird.

When he says Bradley is a better center fielder than Ellsbury, he means defensively (how he plays CF) right?

Nomar
02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
When he says Bradley is a better center fielder than Ellsbury, he means defensively (how he plays CF) right?

Yes but minus 2011 it's quite possible JBJ will be better offensively too because of his plate discipline combined with his ability to hit for at least a decent average.

bruins>habs
02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Yes but minus 2011 it's quite possible JBJ will be better offensively too because of his plate discipline combined with his ability to hit for at least a decent average.

How's his speed and power (potential)...then again, was Ells even considered to have Power (i know its one season of 30 but) ?

On RDLR, why is he still a prospect? i would assume he's better than Henry Owens (91) but they don't put him in the top 100...is he not a "prospect" anymore due his amount of games in the majors?

Nomar
02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
How's his speed and power (potential)...then again, was Ells even considered to have Power (i know its one season of 30 but) ?

On RDLR, why is he still a prospect? i would assume he's better than Henry Owens (91) but they don't put him in the top 100...is he not a "prospect" anymore due his amount of games in the majors?

Yeah he passed rookie status already

-Lavigne43-
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Bradley isn't a speed guy. At his best he will probably run the bases and steal like Pedroia. He's superb defensively because he gets great reads and takes great routes, which enables him to cover a ton of ground. He also has a cannon arm, I think he said he was clocked in the high 90's in high school. He hasn't shown much homerun power, but Salem is a tough park to hit homeruns in. He projects to be a leadoff hitter. His floor is probably a good bench player.

Ellsbury never hit a lot before 2011, but in 2011 there was a million articles on him that mentioned the Red Sox saw flashes of it in things like BP.

AI
02-25-2013, 06:46 PM
BP's Top 101... Sox well represented with 3 in the top 40

12. Xander Bogaerts
27. Jackie Bradley
38. Matt Barnes
69. Allen Webster

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19694

Gillebride
03-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Although he's playing third base, I've been very impressed with Xander's defense in the World Baseball Classic. He looks very athletic in the field. His plate discipline is another story, pitcher's must have been pitching around him last year for him to have an OBP of .373 because he swings at anything close to the strike zone. So far he's 0-for-5 with two walks and he made both walks more difficult than they should have been by fouling off pitches outside the strike zone.

Station 13
03-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Been impressed with Webster this spring. But ***** why does he pitch on days when the games are not televise?

Nomar
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Fangraphs Top 100:

Bogaerts #5
Barnes #41
Bradley #54
Webster #55

Station 13
03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Maureen Mullen ‏@MaureenaMullen

Without being asked, a scout volunteered to me that Allen Webster is the best pitcher he has seen anywhere this spring. #redsoxtalk

Station 13
03-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Weei:

– The Double-A Portland rotation will be a prospect-laden one. While not set in stone, a team official said that 2011 first-rounder Matt Barnes is expected to open the season in Double-A Portland after going 7-5 with a 2.86 ERA in Single-A Greenville and High-A Salem last season. Barnes struggled at the end of 2012, finishing the year with Salem with a 3.58 ERA, but the Sox chalked up most of those late-season struggles to the challenges presented by a pitcher’s first full pro season.

Barnes would join a rotation that also includes Ranaudo, Brandon Workman and Drake Britton in Portland, representing a fairly interesting mix of homegrown pitcher’s with mid-rotation big league upside.

– Third baseman Garin Cecchini, after a rigorous offseason training regimen, is huge this spring. He is approximately 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, according to a team official. What that means for the 2010 fourth-round pick on the field remains to be seen, but if the 21-year-old adds power to an impressive plate approach, he could emerge as one of the top few prospects in the team’s system. Cecchini hit .305 with a .394 OBP, .433 slugging mark and .827 OPS along with 51 steals (in 57 attempts) but with just four homers in Single-A Greenville last year. Still, talent evaluators who saw Greenville raved about the maturity of Cecchini’s plate discipline and approach, suggesting that power was likely to come for him down the road.

— Red Sox outfielder Bryce Brentz reported that he is “100 percent” healthy, more than a month after he suffered an accidental gun shot in the leg while cleaning a firearm. The 24-year-old took part in a Triple-A minor league game on Wednesday, the first day of minor league spring training games, and at one point he flew to the warning track in right field against impressive Twins pitching prospect Alex Meyer.

Brentz hit .290 with a .349 OBP, .465 slugging mark and .814 OPS with 17 homers in 127 games last year in Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket. He was expected to receive a non-roster invitation to Red Sox big league camp, but the injury left him unable to play in the early stages of spring, resulting in the decision not to invite him to big league camp.

RedSoxtober
03-14-2013, 08:57 AM
– Third baseman Garin Cecchini, after a rigorous offseason training regimen, is huge this spring. He is approximately 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, according to a team official. What that means for the 2010 fourth-round pick on the field remains to be seen, but if the 21-year-old adds power to an impressive plate approach, he could emerge as one of the top few prospects in the team’s system. Cecchini hit .305 with a .394 OBP, .433 slugging mark and .827 OPS along with 51 steals (in 57 attempts) but with just four homers in Single-A Greenville last year. Still, talent evaluators who saw Greenville raved about the maturity of Cecchini’s plate discipline and approach, suggesting that power was likely to come for him down the road.

This is scary. He was pretty physically impressive last year. I can't imagine what he looks like if last year was pre-bulked-up.

AI
03-14-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm probably Cecchini's biggest fan in this forum, even on the record saying that I thought he should be untradeable. If he adds power to his game, he could rise up prospect lists really quick. I already liked him a lot, not every 3B has to be a slugger and a .300/.390/.430 hitter is still very valuable because he's getting on-base at an exceptional clip.

Nomar
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
We'll see how the power-speed tradeoff pans out for him. I would think it's only going to help as long as the muscle gain doesn't cause problems injury-wise.

-Lavigne43-
03-18-2013, 05:23 PM
‏@alskor
At Twins camp watching them take on the Red Sox AA & AAA. Can't tweet! Two star studded games going on!

@alskor
The star was Allan Webster. Hype is deserved! Filthy. Sat comfortably 96-97 with life. Touched 99. Power breaking ball around 88 was tight.

@alskor
Some of the minor leaguers watching him with me: "Oh my god!" "Filth" "Why isn't he in the Majors right now?" #Webster

@alskor
Anthony Ranaudo - surprisingly strong. 93-95 early, tapered off a little. Big cb. Over the top and straight FB but heavy, hard to elevate

@alskor
Sean Coyle made some loud contact. Jose Vinicio as well.

@alskor
@TewksHitting He was NASTY. Looked like he was throwing at 70%. Just playing catch. Pitches you wouldn't want to make contact with! (Webster)

‏@alskor
@ETylerBullBant Some trouble repeating but I was pleasantly surprised overall. Strong & gd velo. Wish there was more life on fb. (on Ranaudo)

@alskor
@lot_49 Webster? Yup. In terms of arms down here I've seen there was Webster and (Zack) Wheeler and nobody else comes close.

https://twitter.com/alskor

AI
03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Bogaerts gets benched against DR. That's fvcked up, considering that he's been with them since the start of the WBC.

I would be pissed if I was him.

-Lavigne43-
03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
He was getting hot too. He had some good games vs Cuba and Japan. Hit well in their warm up game vs the Mariners too.

AI
03-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Now they are losing, glad they are, ungrateful fkers.

-Lavigne43-
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
‏@ChrisMellen 3h
#RedSox LHP Henry Owens 90-93 with FB. Showed late arm-side tail. 72-73 CB on the loopy side, with soft shape. Needs some tightening.

‏@ChrisMellen 3h
Owens' stuff much better when throwing downhill. Deeper CB and more life on FB. Not a great finisher of delivery presently.

@ChrisMellen 2h
#RedSox C Blake Swihart has filled into his frame more, but still not sure on the body for catching. Think he ends up a 2B.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMellen

bruins>habs
03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
‏@alskor
At Twins camp watching them take on the Red Sox AA & AAA. Can't tweet! Two star studded games going on!

@alskor
The star was Allan Webster. Hype is deserved! Filthy. Sat comfortably 96-97 with life. Touched 99. Power breaking ball around 88 was tight.

@alskor
Some of the minor leaguers watching him with me: "Oh my god!" "Filth" "Why isn't he in the Majors right now?" #Webster

@alskor
Anthony Ranaudo - surprisingly strong. 93-95 early, tapered off a little. Big cb. Over the top and straight FB but heavy, hard to elevate

@alskor
Sean Coyle made some loud contact. Jose Vinicio as well.

@alskor
@TewksHitting He was NASTY. Looked like he was throwing at 70%. Just playing catch. Pitches you wouldn't want to make contact with! (Webster)

‏@alskor
@ETylerBullBant Some trouble repeating but I was pleasantly surprised overall. Strong & gd velo. Wish there was more life on fb. (on Ranaudo)

@alskor
@lot_49 Webster? Yup. In terms of arms down here I've seen there was Webster and (Zack) Wheeler and nobody else comes close.

https://twitter.com/alskor

:drool:

Station 13
03-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Is there nothing on Brandon Workman this spring?