PDA

View Full Version : Whatís wrong with Roy Hibbert this season

spreadeagle
12-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Last night in a loss to the Atlanta Hawks, Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert played just 20 minutes. He grabbed one rebound, didnít score a single point, and according to Pacers beat writer Mike Wells, he declined postgame comment for the first time in his five-year career.

Pacers head coach Frank Vogel simply said this about Hibbert: ďHe didnít have it tonight.Ē

Problem is, Hibbert hasnít had it on most nights this year. With Danny Granger sidelined and the Pacers desperately in need of production on the offensive end, Hibbert has shot a woeful 39 percent from the field and averaged just 9.5 points per game this season.

Lest youíve forgotten, Hibbert is 7-foot-2 and was hotly pursued by multiple teams before Indiana signed him to a max contract this offseason. To say his offensive production so far this year isnít befitting of a max player is a gross understatement ó it hasnít even been remotely average.

Hibbert is shooting just 47 percent directly at the rim this season, missing more than he makes from point blank range. The NBA average at the rim? Right around 63 percent. Even worse, if you subtract Hibbertís dunks (20-for-23) from that total, heís shooting 37% at the rim. Thatís beyond awful for any center, let alone one that towers over most players inside.

ďPhysically everything is there,Ē Hibbert said. ďI just got to get over some stuff. Itís more mental with me than anything. Iím getting to the [floor] spots I want to get to, but the shots arenít dropping that usually drop.Ē

Hibbert has been seeing a sports psychologist since 2008, and he says that itís been working. Unfortunately, that hasnít translated to the floor quite yet. Although heís played very well defensively, Hibbert has scored less than 8 points in six of his last nine games, and his limited minutes in a close game last night speak volumes. Slumps for big men just donít last this long, and itís unclear what has to change for Hibbert to snap out of it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/whats-wrong-with-roy-hibbert/

h2r09
12-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Not quite sure what he did in the offseason. He wasnt worth that big contract but he is a really good player who can impact a game tremendously when hes playing well.

With Bosh out he almost single handedly took out the heat last year with his size inside.

tredigs
12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Well he's still impacting the game tremendously, but it's only on the defensive end. Pacers in general are an enigma. Incredible D, insufferable O. Might be the best and worst respectively.

kylem4711
12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
no more delocated maked him sad

MrfadeawayJB
12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
He is showing why he was overpaid and a average center in the NBA who just happens to be 7'2

h2r09
12-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Well he's still impacting the game tremendously, but it's only on the defensive end. Pacers in general are an enigma. Incredible D, insufferable O. Might be the best and worst respectively.

I know for a fact they are best in the league defensively as far as efficiency and they are tied for 26th best offensively.

Their future pretty much completely hangs on Paul George's further development. If he turns in to a star they can compete for a title in a few years. If he doesnt take the next step and they continue to have a team full of nice but nothing special players, they will be stuck in basketball purgatory (good but not great).

heyman321
12-30-2012, 11:10 PM
He's screwing me in fantasy basketball that's what's wrong with him. Waste of a 4th round pick.

JLynn943
12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
last year was a contract year, wasn't it?

DoMeFavors
12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
people said last year he is better than Lopez, people going to man up and say that was so false?

h2r09
12-30-2012, 11:37 PM
people said last year he is better than Lopez, people going to man up and say that was so false?

He makes more of an impact on a game than Lopez. Lopez doesnt rebound or come clost to making the type of impact that Hibbert does.

DoMeFavors
12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
He makes more of an impact on a game than Lopez. Lopez doesnt rebound or come clost to making the type of impact that Hibbert does.

haha in what ways, Hibbert is a bum that isnt better than Lopez at anything this year. Lopez without Humphries is avg over 10 a game the past 4 games.

h2r09
12-30-2012, 11:53 PM
haha in what ways, Hibbert is a bum that isnt better than Lopez at anything this year. Lopez without Humphries is avg over 10 a game the past 4 games.

hibbert is 10x better defensively. I dont give a **** what hes dont over the last 10 games, Lopez is not a good rebounder, 7 a game for his career for a 7 footer is pretty pathetic.

The only thing better about Lopez is his ability to score from the low post. You cant really give hibbert the ball and ask him to get a bucket but as far as pure impact on the game from both sides Hibbert is pretty easily better than Lopez.

DoMeFavors
12-30-2012, 11:59 PM
hibbert is 10x better defensively. I dont give a **** what hes dont over the last 10 games, Lopez is not a good rebounder, 7 a game for his career for a 7 footer is pretty pathetic.

The only thing better about Lopez is his ability to score from the low post. You cant really give hibbert the ball and ask him to get a bucket but as far as pure impact on the game from both sides Hibbert is pretty easily better than Lopez.

defense means nothing when you cant rack up a single point, Hibbert is giving up more to his opponent than Lopez is. Lopez is always out scoring his opponent. Hibbert isnt in the same class as a player like Lopez, Lopez >>>> Hibbert without a doubt.

h2r09
12-31-2012, 12:02 AM
defense means nothing when you cant rack up a single point, Hibbert is giving up more to his opponent than Lopez is. Lopez is always out scoring his opponent. Hibbert isnt in the same class as a player like Lopez, Lopez >>>> Hibbert without a doubt.

You are a troll. Not even gonna bother arguing with you.

Lopez stats are hollow. His impact doesnt match his stats.

FlakeyFool
12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Hibbert sucks

YungDaSensai
12-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Hibbert is a bum, Shawn Bradley is better lullz

Bravo95
12-31-2012, 02:51 AM
My guy Zaza completely shut him down in last night's game.

mjt20mik
12-31-2012, 02:59 AM
He's screwing me in fantasy basketball that's what's wrong with him. Waste of a 4th round pick.

I took Rudy Gay instead of him, and I'm glad I did. Got Tyson couple rounds later and he's been playing really well.

Raye
12-31-2012, 03:08 AM
He tried to be the man early in the season which led to his field goal % dropping which led to his confidence dropping and then dropping off worse.

PacersForLife
12-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Roy has confidence issues for sure. It also was reported recently (early December I think), that Roy injured his wrist in the Miami series and they didn't tell anybody or didn't make it public at least. Roy has had some really good defensive games. He had 11 blocks as part of a triple double one game. He just gets really down on himself at times and when that happens he can just tend to have random horrible games like last night.

I'm not sure if it's his wrist or what, but I think some people are forgetting that Roy was pretty nice offensively last year. Someone mentioned earlier that he has no offensive game whatsoever and that's not true. Last year his hook shot was almost automatic. Something is wrong with him I think.

JasonJohnHorn
12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Well... other than his FG%, I don't see what is different from this season than last. Part of that I would imagine is that teams can focus on him, or that Danny Granger is drawing defenders off of him, coupled with the fact that having made teh All-Star team last year, defences likely spend more time preparing for him. His personal fouls are up a little, but his blocks are up a lot to, at a career high in fact, so more fouls are to be expected. I know Granger didn't get a lot of assists or anything, but I think having Granger on the floor opens things up for other players like Hibbert on the team. Maybe Collison and Hibbert had good chemistry and Collison was part of the reason Hibbert was doing so well, like when CP3 had Chandler looking like he could score back in NO.

I expect his FG% to come back up... Hibbert is still the best rebounder on the team, but what people gotta remember is that he only plays 30 minutes a game. You can't expect a double-double everynight out of a guy that only gets 30 minutes.

JasonJohnHorn
12-31-2012, 01:53 PM

Lopez is rebounding the ball failrly well this season, 9 a game per36 minutes, and Lopez has been playing well defensively too, getting 2.3 blocks per game.

I think it is fair to say that even if Hibbert is a slightly better rebounder this season, and even if he is better on defence, this year, Lopez is producing more on the court than is Hibbert.

Iron24th
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
What a ridiculous contract

ghettosean
12-31-2012, 03:27 PM
What's wrong with Hibbert you say???

He got paid! Not insinuating he doesn't care or anything but getting paid like a high caliber player does put a lot of pressure on you (much more than past years). Could also be laziness and he's just enjoying his cash.

Not sure which one!?!

Rockice_8
12-31-2012, 03:46 PM

Well considering when he went down the Nets completely fell apart I'd say he's making a pretty big impact on the team.

DMF is 100% a complete troll but he's right on this one for once. Hibbert is still the better/smarter defender but thats about it. Lopez has bumped his defense up to average so he's no longer a one dimentional scorer.

Lopez is most definitely playing better then Hibbert.

tnewkirk
12-31-2012, 04:18 PM

:facepalm:

Jagged QT
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Hibbert got paid, and wasn't that good to begin with.

He's serviceable, definitely not all-star worthy.

tredigs
12-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Looking really strong against Marc Gasol right now though.

Rockice_8
12-31-2012, 04:35 PM

I guess you haven't looked at Hibbert's career rebounding numbers?

Dade County
12-31-2012, 04:38 PM

Cra statement...

Lopez is clearly better then Roy, Roy brings the D, but I guess it depends on what team you have.

On the HEAT Roy would be great, because we wouldn't really need him to score, but if you place Roy in Brooklyn and Lopez on the Pacers, I am sure pacer fans will fall in love with Lopez.

KingPosey
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
He never has been a max player. He isn't even super good. He just happens to be a solid center in an era where solid centers get max deals because their peers aren't that good. There are what MAYBE 3 centers that would start in this league 15 years ago?

tredigs
12-31-2012, 04:56 PM
He never has been a max player. He isn't even super good. He just happens to be a solid center in an era where solid centers get max deals because their peers aren't that good. There are what MAYBE 3 centers that would start in this league 15 years ago?

Haha well are you saying guys like Noah, Marc Gasol, Lopez, Tyson Chandler, Al Jeffereson, Duncan, etc. wouldn't start in the 90's? I'd say those are all starters, along with a couple others.

KingPosey
12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Haha well are you saying guys like Noah, Marc Gasol, Lopez, Tyson Chandler, Al Jeffereson, Duncan, etc. wouldn't start in the 90's? I'd say those are all starters, along with a couple others.

I wouldnt, and Duncan is from that era.

HouRealCoach
12-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Another victim of the stupid restricted free agent rule... NBA really needs come up with something else

tredigs
12-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I wouldnt, and Duncan is from that era.

Well, they absolutely would. You had 10-12 great centers, but the bottom end is nothing to write home about.

KingPosey
01-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Ok then they are the 13 to 25th best centers in the league back then.

Corey
01-01-2013, 01:52 AM
He isn't good.

I've been saying it since he was drafted.

So overrated as a player.

tripleplay2007
01-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Ok then they are the 13 to 25th best centers in the league back then.

I agree with this. Dwight would get ****ed up.

c.c.
01-01-2013, 02:35 AM
He got his Max deal, so now he really don't care any more.

Sadds The Gr8
01-01-2013, 03:23 AM
been saying he was overrated since everyone was riding his nuts last year

Lakers4life08
01-01-2013, 03:36 AM
He is garbage basketball player,and looked good against miami just becouse,heat has zero bigs.....he just giant trash

kblo247
01-01-2013, 06:44 AM

Mutumbo would smack you upside the head and then do a finger wag for this statement

His biggest problem is that the two guys he played best with arent there in DC and Granger. He needed them. They helped him on both ends in ways Green/Hill/George/Augustine don't. If you put Hibbert in place of Perk, the Thunder would be unstoppable.

THE MTL
01-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Before I have to come to the defense of a supertroll like DoMeFavors, watch some basketball first please.

The statement you made is ridiculous.

THE MTL
01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Anyway, Hibbert is a bum in my opinion. It is UNACCEPTABLE to be shooting so poorly for a big man.

Corey
01-01-2013, 04:20 PM
been saying he was overrated since everyone was riding his nuts last year

Yep.

h2r09
01-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Before I have to come to the defense of a supertroll like DoMeFavors, watch some basketball first please.

The statement you made is ridiculous.

I watch basketball. Aside from this year Hibbert has a bigger impact on the game overall than Lopez.

Kao Sorn
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Mutumbo would smack you upside the head and then do a finger wag for this statement

His biggest problem is that the two guys he played best with arent there in DC and Granger. He needed them. They helped him on both ends in ways Green/Hill/George/Augustine don't. If you put Hibbert in place of Perk, the Thunder would be unstoppable.

This is the most valid reason behind his poor play...as a Blazer fan I have kept a eye on his production all year because we almost got him. Having that extra scorer in Granger makes all the difference.

That being said he was in a contract year and everyone plays better during that time! Look at Hickson for the Blazers this year and the end of last year. Playing for that contract.

Makes you want to lower the contract lengths in general.

THE MTL
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
I watch basketball. Aside from this year Hibbert has a bigger impact on the game overall than Lopez.

Well I see you corrected yourself by "saying aside from this year". And sry to go so hard on you with my previous post. But seriously, Brooklyn Nets dont win basketball games without Brook Lopez this year lol.

THE MTL
01-01-2013, 05:48 PM

I agree with that other guy about Chandler, M.Gasol, Noah, Jefferson, etc. being starters in the 90s era. However, they just wouldnt be top 10 NBA centers like they are now-a-days. They'll be low tier centers.

MonroeFAN
01-01-2013, 06:01 PM
sounds like got paid and doesn't want to play anymore.

69centers
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
sounds like got paid and doesn't want to play anymore.

A show up and collect your paycheck then go home kind of worker. Doesn't give it his all anymore.