PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy has setbacks in knee rehab, return date uncertain.

JNoel
12-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Woj

Minnesota's Brandon Roy has had setbacks in knee rehab and a return date is uncertain, league source tells Y! Sports.

Can this guy ever catch a break?

Victimize
12-29-2012, 01:49 PM
I loved Roy before injuries destroyed his promising career, but he just needs to retire.

I applaud his effort to try a comeback, but realistically his best possible scenario is to play 20 minutes a game and deal with knee injuries the rest of his career.

Becks2307
12-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I was happy when he came back, but he needs to give it up.

macc
12-29-2012, 01:59 PM
The guy has no cartlage in either of his knees. At this point all he's going to do is possibly do permanent damage to himself trying to grind it out in this league. I love Roy, it's unfortunate what happened to him but as stated above, he needs to retire and go onto the next part of his life.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Woj

Can this guy ever catch a break?

Brandon was one of my fav. players before he went down for the count. Sucks his career turned out this way.
I hate the injury bug:mad:

Twinsfan24
12-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I was a huge fan and still am. It's a bummer his knees wouldn't cooperate with him. He had the chance to be a really great player for a long time...

kingjaymes23
12-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm a Blazers fan and he was my favorite player before the injuries. It came out when he originally retired that he was being "forced" into it and the report made the team look really bad. I think it is clear now that he was told to retire for a reason and the team was thinking of his future when they made their decision

StarvingKnick22
12-29-2012, 02:42 PM
He shouldn't have come back in the first place. I still don't see why so many had so much love for him.

b@llhog24
12-29-2012, 02:43 PM
He shouldn't have come back in the first place. I still don't see why so many had so much love for him.

Because if he was healthy he probably would've been the best SG in the league right now.

b@llhog24
12-29-2012, 02:44 PM
But seriously Roy needs to retire.

Aapox
12-29-2012, 04:45 PM

I don't even like the Blazers but all the clutch plays and shots Brandon Roy made led to me developing a fondness for him. It seriously seemed like he didn't miss clutch shots at the end of games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xduhlSYw1Qc

If you don't watch the whole video (some of the quality sucks) just go to 3:40 and watch the last 2 plays.

Hawkeye15
12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
The Wolves apparently have their media room at the Target Center set up for what appears a press conference, via Jerry Zgoda, beat reporter. You don't hold a presser to announce signing the 15th man.

I would expect that means Roy announces his retirement. Sucks, I am sure it sucks *** to have your ability to do what you love taken away at age 27, but at least he was able to make nearly $100 million before he was forced out...

Hawkeye15
12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
I would rather be able to walk my daughter down the aisle then play another 2-3 years, and risk rolling her down the aisle.

Everymanalion
12-29-2012, 05:41 PM
JUST RETIRE BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GET A FAKE KNEE YOU IDIOT. Jeezussss. He is one stage away.

STL Don
12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Man this is really depressing. I'm not a Blazer fan at heart, but he made me really enjoy watching them play. There was a time when Brandon Roy and LeMarcus Aldridge were the two young guys with very bright futures, and then came the 07' draft choice of Greg Oden who was supposed to improve their team dramatically.
All came crashing down, however, Roy was an allstar caliber player his first couple of seasons.

I hope he catches a break and can somehow resume his career, even if it's never in a starting role again, 15-20 mpg would be a huge accomplishment IMO.
Seems more and more unlikely that will happen, but that's probably the best outcome at this point. Let's hope.

sp1derm00
12-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Because if he was healthy he probably would've been the best SG in the league right now.

I respect Roy a lot, he was a good player and a great leader. Let's not overrate him though.

He would have been right up there with Harden if he were healthy, but he wouldn't have been in the same league as Kobe/Wade.

Harden is performing, at age 23, better than Roy ever has. I would say it's possible that Roy would have been performing at a similar level with his experience, but I'm not even sure he would be as good as Harden is now.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2012, 01:06 AM
I respect Roy a lot, he was a good player and a great leader. Let's not overrate him though.

He would have been right up there with Harden if he were healthy, but he wouldn't have been in the same league as Kobe/Wade.

Harden is performing, at age 23, better than Roy ever has. I would say it's possible that Roy would have been performing at a similar level with his experience, but I'm not even sure he would be as good as Harden is now.

considering Roy's age, minus injury, he would be in his peak, and that would be good enough for best SG in the NBA given his projected play. It's not a slight at Kobe, Wade, or Harden. Kobe would be way older, Wade more damaged, and Harden way younger.

KingPosey
12-30-2012, 01:18 AM
I actually bought into the comeback and believed he could put in 25 to maybe just under 30 min a night. But even before the latest injury, he was slow, ineffective, unproductive, anything you want to say. He would be on the floor for 30 min and produce nothing. His body is just done, it doesnt want to do this anymore.

His heart wants to, and maybe he felt ok working out this summer, but as soon as the grind began, his body quit before it even started.

b@llhog24
12-30-2012, 02:55 AM

Hawkeye sums up my thoughts on this pretty well.

considering Roy's age, minus injury, he would be in his peak, and that would be good enough for best SG in the NBA given his projected play. It's not a slight at Kobe, Wade, or Harden. Kobe would be way older, Wade more damaged, and Harden way younger.

No. I disagree.

tripleplay2007
12-30-2012, 03:18 AM
I've always really respected Roy, I really loved his game when he was healthy but it's time to hang up the jersey and call it a career. Not many people get to play professional basketball, even fewer get to play in the playoffs, even fewer are 3 time all stars, and even fewer are win ROY. That's a damn good career in my book. I really hate all the knee problems he has had, it's sad we never got to see his full potential but he did a lot that most people will never accomplish. Now it's time that he gets his priorities straight... Help out as a coach with a college or a high school. Just save yourself from being wheel chair bound.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2012, 03:21 AM
He'll play a couple more games this year before retiring.

Shortys4711
12-30-2012, 07:09 AM
I don't even like the Blazers but all the clutch plays and shots Brandon Roy made led to me developing a fondness for him. It seriously seemed like he didn't miss clutch shots at the end of games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xduhlSYw1Qc

If you don't watch the whole video (some of the quality sucks) just go to 3:40 and watch the last 2 plays.

Thanks for the link man, That was a great vid. That last shot at the end is just insane, one of my fav buzzer beaters of all time. Never get tired of watching that shot

AnthonyTyrael
12-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Guy is fighting for a comeback. Sad it's going to be inevitable anytime sooner or later that he'll retire. I feel bad for guys who have the talent and devotion but are held back by their physical/medical side.

Cromedome
12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
He really loves playing against the Rockets.