PDA

View Full Version : Could LBJ average a triple-double?

JasonJohnHorn
12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Firstly, let me say, I do not think it will happen, primarily because LBJ is SUCH a great scorer, that it is in his teams' best interest for him to be the first scorign option. But that said, I do believe he COULD average a triple-double if he was that much of a stat whore.

He would have to play the role of a past-first PG on offense (the thing is, though Miami is a very talented offensive team, LBJ is still the best offensive option, so it just doesn't make sense for your best option to be always looking for others to score first). If LBJ did this, I've no doubt that while his scoring average would dip to the high teens, he would be able to average double-digits in assists.

On the defensive end, he would have to play PF. This he does a lot already and on nights when he does, he often comes away with double-digit in rebounds.

Now again, I say, this WILL NOT happen, but I honestly believe that if LBJ's goal was to do it, he would be able to. All he would need is the coach to let him play PG on offense, and PF on defense.

Do you think LBJ could average a triple-double?

justinnum1
12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
no.

h2r09
12-27-2012, 12:39 PM
if he tried to every night im sure he could but just playing in the flow of the game no.

justinnum1
12-27-2012, 12:46 PM
its the assists that usually cost him. he can easily avg a dbl dbl, but the assists relies a lot on his teammates making shots which doesnt always happen

LongWayFromHome
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
if he tried to every night im sure he could but just playing in the flow of the game no.

This.

Baller1
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
No way. He could up his numbers across the board a bit, but not enough to average a triple-double.

He's the only player that could even get close though.

tredigs
12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
This thread is very timely and unique.

kdspurman
12-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Don't think so. He's never averaged a double double yet, so I don't see a triple double happening.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
yes of course :bane voice:

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Of course he can! I think he could average a quadripple double. If he wanted to, he could lead the Dolphins in recieveing yards and rushing yards. Probably be second in passing though because that rookie is pretty good over there. But a triple double? for Lebron??? HELL YEA!! Lebron can do anything even if it isnt possible.

I need to start a thread asking if Lebron could lead MLB in Homers and era. Im sure it could happen because Lebron has no physical limitations at all..

Greet
12-27-2012, 01:37 PM
If he scored 10-15 points a game and focused on the other aspects, sure.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Nope.

NoahH
12-27-2012, 01:39 PM
i think he could go 22-12-8 if he tried but the assists are sometimes just too hard to come by

ManRam
12-27-2012, 01:39 PM
If he selfishly tried to, he might be able to. He'd really have to look to pass far more than he does, and that probably wouldn't help the team. He'd never do that either.

He's obviously the guy who is closest to doing so, but it's never gonna happen.

dhopisthename
12-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I think if he tried to get a triple double he would struggle most with rebounds unless the heat just let him play power foward and stay on the low blocks. as for assists I think he could if he just gave up on scoring 20+ points a game

Jint.
12-27-2012, 01:48 PM
yes.... in Turkey

ghettosean
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Better question would be could he beat Magic Johnsons all time triple double list or Jason Kidds even.

Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers (1979/80 – 1990/91, 1995/96)

138 Triple doubles
13 years in the league

Jason Kidd Dallas Mavericks (1994/95 – 1996/97, 2007/08)
Phoenix Suns (1996/97 – 2000/01)
New Jersey Nets (2001/02 – 2007/08)
Dallas Mavericks (2007/08 – 2011/12)
New York Knicke (2012/13)

105 Triple doubles
19 years in the league

LeBron James Cleveland Cavaliers (2003/04 – 2009/10)
Miami Heat (2010/11 – present)

30 Triple Doubles
10 years in the league

http://www.sportscity.com/nba/records/all-time-triple-doubles/

With all that said I don't even think he'll catch Jason Kidd when his career is all said and done for all time triple doubles.

So to answer the question to the thread NO!!!

b_russ
12-27-2012, 01:55 PM
With Andre Blatche's determination, yes.

naps
12-27-2012, 01:57 PM
If he wants badly i think he can do it. But then he is not gonna score as many points as he does now. He'll never be selfish enough to do that because he's the finest example of a team first player.

barreleffact
12-27-2012, 01:59 PM
COULD he as you asked? Yes, definitely. He won't though. It's a very daunting task, but he has the scoring easily and rebounding is easy on that team. With the number of shooters he has in Ray, Chalmers, Jones, Battier at times he could easily do that as well if that was his goal.

naps
12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Better question would be could he beat Magic Johnsons all time triple double list or Jason Kidds even.

With all that said I don't even think he'll catch Jason Kidd when his career is all said and done for all time triple doubles.

That doesn't say much because LeBron sits out in the 4th quarters of so many games where he's short of 1/2 assists or 1/2 rebounds. If he was selfish he would have had way more triple doubles by now.

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 02:05 PM
If he wants badly i think he can do it. But then he is not gonna score as many points as he does now. He'll never be selfish enough to do that because he's the finest example of a team first player.

lol, Magic Johnson says hello Troll...

ManRam
12-27-2012, 02:07 PM

He won't catch either.

tredigs
12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
That doesn't say much because LeBron sits out in the 4th quarters of so many games where he's short of 1/2 assists or 1/2 rebounds. If he was selfish he would have had way more triple doubles by now.

Of course it says something. You don't think Magic was sitting out 4th quarters with Showtime?

Magic career MPG = 36.7
Lebron career MPG = 39.8

One of these two has a significant advantage in accumulated a few extra box-score stats that could lead to extra triple-doubles. Hint: It's Lebron.

Does he care? No. If it was Andra Blatche with Lebron's skill set, then I would say yes, a triple-double season is guaranteed.

tredigs
12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Andray Blatche - Legend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzRvZcFn48

TylerSL
12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Firstly, let me say, I do not think it will happen, primarily because LBJ is SUCH a great scorer, that it is in his teams' best interest for him to be the first scorign option. But that said, I do believe he COULD average a triple-double if he was that much of a stat whore.

He would have to play the role of a past-first PG on offense (the thing is, though Miami is a very talented offensive team, LBJ is still the best offensive option, so it just doesn't make sense for your best option to be always looking for others to score first). If LBJ did this, I've no doubt that while his scoring average would dip to the high teens, he would be able to average double-digits in assists.

On the defensive end, he would have to play PF. This he does a lot already and on nights when he does, he often comes away with double-digit in rebounds.

Now again, I say, this WILL NOT happen, but I honestly believe that if LBJ's goal was to do it, he would be able to. All he would need is the coach to let him play PG on offense, and PF on defense.

Do you think LBJ could average a triple-double?

Everything you are saying in "what-if" terms is practically already happening. I dont know if you watch the Heat, but Lebron is the ball handler. Lebron sets the offense up, and gets the ball to open shooters. Now, that doesnt mean Lebron doesnt shoot himself, but he looks to pass more than shoot. Lebron is scoring 25.6 pts on 18.4 shots a game, which is a career low in shots. 25.6 points on 18.4 shots a game is a man's fair amount, but Lebron has the ball in his hands so much he could easily shoot it 25 times. If he shot 25 times a game at the clip he is shooting at right now, he would average 33.8 points. If there is an open shooter on the floor, he gets it to them.

As for the rebounds, Lebron is averaging 8.7 boards/game and generally starts the game at SF because Haslem is starting, but he rotates to PF multiple times throughout the game. If he only played PF, his rebounds would maybe jump to about 9.5 or so, but it would still be tough to get it over 10.

So to answer your question, I would say no. He could get alot more triple doubles if he was really trying to, but I still doubt he could average a triple double.

RonE Coleman
12-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Don't see anyone being able to. Averaging 10 assists is hard enough. If you have 5 one game you essentially have to have 15 the next to keep you around 10. Plus guys are gonna miss shots, just how it is.

b@llhog24
12-27-2012, 02:48 PM
No.

beliges
12-27-2012, 03:23 PM
If he could do it he would. He's not on the level of magic for that all.around dominance that's required to.do something such.as average a triple double. But nonetheless, he's the most physically dominant in the game now.

cleptopot
12-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Heat fans making excuses :facepalm:

dtmagnet
12-27-2012, 03:36 PM
No.

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Heat fans making excuses :facepalm:

Nothing new

Money_23
12-27-2012, 03:43 PM
only if he stat-pads.

Bruno
12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
if he went out of his way at the expense of his team, sure.

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
only if he stat-pads.

nothing new

tripleplay2007
12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I think he could if he played for a bad team. Not on the Heat though.

ghettosean
12-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I think he could if he played for a bad team. Not on the Heat though.
Like who??? The Cavs?!?

ManRam
12-27-2012, 03:59 PM
nothing new

:laugh:

Really?

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 04:01 PM
:laugh:

Really?

:confused:

ManRam
12-27-2012, 04:05 PM
:confused:

How does he stat-pad?

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
How does he stat-pad?

How does he not?

ManRam
12-27-2012, 04:15 PM
How does he not?

Because he does what he needs to do to win games? :shrug: It's not like he's frequently in there in blowouts hoisting up shots. It's not like he shamelessly tries to get triple doubles. He's just good at every aspect of the game,so the box scores fills up naturally.

I don't get it. Instead of dodging the question, how about you answer it? I'm not the one making the controversial claim...the burden of proof is one you.

Lakers + Giants
12-27-2012, 04:23 PM
He could if he wanted to but it would be worse for the team.

AIRMAR72
12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
If BRON wants to he can he do it with ease but the man is not that type he thinks team 1st

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
NBA Forum sucks.

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Because he does what he needs to do to win games? :shrug: It's not like he's frequently in there in blowouts hoisting up shots. It's not like he shamelessly tries to get triple doubles. He's just good at every aspect of the game,so the box scores fills up naturally.

I don't get it. Instead of dodging the question, how about you answer it? I'm not the one making the controversial claim...the burden of proof is one you.

lmao. You guys kill me with this "Argue my question" thing you people do. How should i prove to you without and falicies that he does that? Should I post up film and walk you through when he stat pads? I mean, He's put up the best numbers probably ever, and only won once and been 3 times?

Stinkyoutsider
12-27-2012, 04:33 PM
I think he has the ability to but he won't, especially with what the Heat need out of him every night...

Not only scoring, rebounding, and assists, but also defensively. If he handled the ball more and looked to pass more too, I think he could average a double double. But hitting the boards too? Tough to do in today's NBA.

ManRam
12-27-2012, 05:32 PM
lmao. You guys kill me with this "Argue my question" thing you people do. How should i prove to you without and falicies that he does that? Should I post up film and walk you through when he stat pads? I mean, He's put up the best numbers probably ever, and only won once and been 3 times?

I don't know. All you ever do is say stupid **** (like REALLY stupid ****) and then never support it or back it up.

You don't need to walk me through everything, but there's a reason no one takes you seriously: because you never make good points. You just spew ****, get upset and defense when people start trying to discuss it with you, and then turn into a troll.

Your last point is irrelevant. It takes a team to win, not one player. Putting up great numbers, and doing all you can to win, and then not doing so, doesn't mean you're "padding". I blame him for not winning in 2011. He was on a team that had a ton of a talent and he didn't come through. That's one year...nothing more,nothing less.

Is every player on the 29 teams that don't win "padding"? With your "logic", that's basically what you're getting at. Unless you're winning, your stats are fabricated! gOT IT!

Lim
12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I have said the same thing b4. he definitely could but it is way more beneficial for his team to avg 25-30 ppg 7 apg and 7 rpg instead of something like 14 ppg 10 apg 10 rpg

stawka
12-27-2012, 07:12 PM
It's possible, but it's not gonna happen because he's too unselfish

But the question is "COULD he?"
Yes

Yanks All Day
12-27-2012, 07:17 PM
He's the only player in the league who can do it, but I don't think he would. His scoring would have to dip to about 18-20 points per game if he consciously wanted to find the open shooters every time down court. That being said, could he average 18-12-10? Absolutely. Would he, and is it in the best interests of the Heat to do so? No way.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2012, 07:18 PM
He could, but he'd be hurting his team.

bucketss
12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
He's the only player in the league who can do it, but I don't think he would. His scoring would have to dip to about 18-20 points per game if he consciously wanted to find the open shooters every time down court. That being said, could he average 18-12-10? Absolutely. Would he, and is it in the best interests of the Heat to do so? No way.

maybe rondo too

MTL_123
12-27-2012, 09:57 PM
yes 10-10-10 i could see lebron average this. but it probably wont make miami win more games tho.

nickdymez
12-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't know. All you ever do is say stupid **** (like REALLY stupid ****) and then never support it or back it up.

You don't need to walk me through everything, but there's a reason no one takes you seriously: because you never make good points. You just spew ****, get upset and defense when people start trying to discuss it with you, and then turn into a troll.

Your last point is irrelevant. It takes a team to win, not one player. Putting up great numbers, and doing all you can to win, and then not doing so, doesn't mean you're "padding". I blame him for not winning in 2011. He was on a team that had a ton of a talent and he didn't come through. That's one year...nothing more,nothing less.

Is every player on the 29 teams that don't win "padding"? With your "logic", that's basically what you're getting at. Unless you're winning, your stats are fabricated! gOT IT!

I read the first line and stopped because I had a question. If what I say is so stupid, why dont you want me to back it up?

naps
12-28-2012, 03:52 AM

He never knows how to back up his claims. Only time I see him posts is when there's a LeBron thread going on. And he acts like a dumped gf who can't hide her jealousy because something good is being discussed about LeBron. That's all he does. We all know what happened to C-Styles and KB-Pau-DH for doing the same. Time is coming.

LakersMaster24
12-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Could he? Yes.

Will he? I doubt it.

I can see Lebron averaginf 17 10 and 10.

tripleplay2007
12-28-2012, 04:06 AM
Like who??? The Cavs?!?

The Bobcats, Hornets, Raptors, Wizards, or Cavs.

seikou8
12-28-2012, 04:15 AM
no

sep11ie
12-28-2012, 04:23 AM
Ok, this thread is cool but my basketballs thread gets locked? Mods, I was making an example...

c.c.
12-28-2012, 04:45 AM
It that was his nightly focus, he could but........

TheRunKiller
12-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Close but I can't see him getting 10+ rebounds every game

jerellh528
12-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Rondo has a better chance

nickdymez
12-28-2012, 12:02 PM
31 people said yes!!!!!!!????????!!!!!

justinnum1
12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Close but I can't see him getting 10+ rebounds every game

he can easily get 10 rebounds every game...he basically plays PG and averages 8.5 rebounds a game...

what he cant do is get 10 assists every game

kdspurman
12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
he can easily get 10 rebounds every game...he basically plays PG and averages 8.5 rebounds a game...

what he cant do is get 10 assists every game

I don't know if he could do it easily, he hasn't done it his entire career. (This year he's closest to doing it) It's not an easy thing to do for someone who is not always in the paint battling for boards, a lot of his he comes swarming in for them, or gets long rebounds.

I mean there are only 11 guys in the NBA averaging 10 boards or more now all 4's and 5's. I actually thought 10 assists might be easier if guys knocked down shots consistently, cause he'll always draw multiple defenders.

naps
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
31 people said yes!!!!!!!????????!!!!!

Does it bother you so much?

nickdymez
12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Does it bother you so much?

That LBJ fans are ridiculous homers that know absolutely nothing about the game?? Yea, a little.

RyanStorm
12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
The fact that LBJ is a great team player that he can average a triple-double.

First of all, Points are easily going to be made, no doubt(20+ easily)!

Rebounds, well that depends on his defense, and Chris Bosh, but this will be the most easy to get for the double double. He will get them on defense and maybe get a few tip in grabs a night.

Assits are what makes the triple double. He needs to continue to make his team better by opening up shots for his hot handed team. I can easily see him making enough assits on a nightly basis to hit over 5 per game, but to hit 10 a night you got to be fully emerged and visually in the game.

I know he has enough talent to open up nice shots for his team, its just a matter of them making the shots, so if he wants 10, he needs to give them the best shot so that they can make it.

He will easily get 20-5-5 a night. And will likely get big assist nights and rebound nights over 10, but to continuously get them will be very tough. But if anyone can do it, its him!

valade16
12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
In Today's NBA? No, the pace is too slow.

In Big O's day? Absolutely.

nickdymez
12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
In Today's NBA? No, the pace is too slow.

In Big O's day? Absolutely.

Probably half the players right now could average a triple double in the Big-O's day. The game has evolved so much now and the players are much better.