PDA

View Full Version : Is Michael Beasley the biggest bust in NBA history?

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Simple question. I expect to hear the usual suspects like Darko, Bowie and Kwame. But here's my argument here. In the case of Bowie, he got injured (not his fault) and viewed as a bad pick from the get go. In the case of Kwame, he was just another raw HS player in a draft that notoriously produced very little anyway. And in the case of Darko, much like Kwame, he was also very raw and proved very little beforehand if I recall correctly.

And then there is Beasley. A player who not only had obvious NBA talent, but who had one of the best college seasons by a freshman. Not only that, but he also wasn't one of those raw "projects" who had to be developed, he was NBA ready and polished and suffered no big time injuries in the NBA. In short, he is the prime example of a big time talent who failed because he had no work ethic nor took the sport seriously. It obviously doesn't help that that same draft proved to be very deep and produced other big time talents after him like Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, and Eric Gordon.

So, is Michael Beasley the biggest bust in NBA history?

conway429
12-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Not even remotely close.
He put up 19+ points a game one season and he wasn't even a 1st overall pick.

DanG
12-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Kwame

Gritz
12-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Wow

netsgiantsyanks
12-27-2012, 12:23 AM
kwame.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-27-2012, 12:24 AM
lol no. He's at least somewhat of a serviceable player.

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Not even remotely close.
He put up 19+ points a game one season and he wasn't even a 1st overall pick.

He put up 19 at awful efficiency. This year, on a team where he would have all the chance to do whatever he wanted, his scoring efficiency has been absolutely putrid.

And many, I'd say most, called for Beasley as the number one pick as he had a much better freshman year than Rose. Rose only went up the draft boards after the tournament and even then, Beasley was viewed as the number one guy.

Really, it was only his attitude (as I remember Bulls FO being reportedly being upset with at the interviews) that really held him back.

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:26 AM
lol no. He's at least somewhat of a serviceable player.

The guy currently has a PER less than 10, a ts% 44.6, and an o-rating of 87. Those efficiency numbers are pretty much historically bad.

I'm well aware that there have been top picks that have been worse, but the expectations, at least for me, were always higher for Beasley than say Kwame.

Funny enough, while we have that Austin Rivers thread, he is one of the few players that is currently playing WORSE. He currently has -.8 WS. He is literally hurting his team more than helping.

conway429
12-27-2012, 12:28 AM
He put up 19 at awful efficiency. This year, on a team where he would have all the chance to do whatever he wanted, his scoring efficiency has been absolutely putrid.

And many, I'd say most, called for Beasley as the number one pick as he had a much better freshman year than Rose. Rose only went up the draft boards after the tournament and even then, Beasley was viewed as the number one guy.

Really, it was only his attitude (as I remember Bulls FO being reportedly being upset with at the interviews) that really held him back.

Honestly, just google "nba lottery picks" or something and be reminded of the players who have been drafted high, and then done absolutely nothing in brief careers. That's what a bust is.
Beasley hasn't even been that bad. Disappointing, sure, but still a capable NBA player.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-27-2012, 12:28 AM
The guy currently has a PER less than 10, a ts% 44.6, and an o-rating of 87. Those efficiency numbers are pretty much historically bad.

I'm well aware that there have been top picks that have been worse, but the expectations, at least for me, were always higher for Beasley than say Kwame.

27 game sample sizes FTW! His career PER is 15.3 and his TS% is .507. When can't look at 27 games out of a players 300 game career and call him a bust.

LaLa_Land
12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I believed coming out of college Beasley would be an immediate all star. He had the athleticism, ball-handling, and shooting to be a superstar in the league. Many people though he was going to be a dominant, dominant force for a long time. But his head wasn't on straight, he had the incident where he took a self picture with bags of ganja and other drugs on the floor.

He doesn't have a work ethic, and was rumored to have come to Minnesota games after smoking bud.

I still believe that under the right tutelage, and getting traded to a contender he can be bred to produce at a high level. He still has go-to potential, but that potential will be completely squandered because his time is running out quickly.

I hope the Lakers consider trading for him. Jamison is out of the rotation, and I believe he can be the centerpiece of a package for Beas - at the very least as an expiring.

IAmARanger18
12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Kwame Brown.....

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Honestly, just google "nba lottery picks" or something and be reminded of the players who have been drafted high, and then done absolutely nothing in brief careers. That's what a bust is.
Beasley hasn't even been that bad. Disappointing, sure, but still a capable NBA player.

I guess we differ on this. I think the expectations HAVE to be considered when evaluating the degree of how much a player is a bust.

And no, beasley is no way a "serviceable" player. Again, many of his numbers are historically bad.

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:32 AM
27 game sample sizes FTW! His career PER is 15.3 and his TS% is .507. When can't look at 27 games out of a players 300 game career and call him a bust.

His numbers have been pretty consistent throughout this season.

Although, I suppose your last point is fair.

conway429
12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
I guess we differ on this. I think the expectations HAVE to be considered when evaluating the degree of how much a player is a bust.

And no, beasley is no way a "serviceable" player. Again, many of his numbers are historically bad.

What numbers are historically bad? Other than the ones you mentioned from this year only.

And every 2nd overall pick has huge expectations.

Jint.
12-27-2012, 12:35 AM
No.. Olowokandi or Kwame

Fresno
12-27-2012, 12:37 AM

Once again as said earlier, this is an extreme over-reaction on your part based on a slow start to this season.

Nothing about his career is historically bad.

Not even his lack of effort on defense.

Mr_Amaziing
12-27-2012, 12:38 AM
No.

The Suns is just a bad fit for him

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:39 AM
What numbers are historically bad? Other than the ones you mentioned from this year only.

His scoring efficiency numbers, i.e. efg%, ts% and o-rating. Again, I suppose the point of him producing at a mediocre level before, gives for some argument. But then again, we're talking about a player whose strength was supposed to be scoring.

And every 2nd overall pick has huge expectations.

Not true. 08 was one of those rare years where a number 2 pick was viewed as much of a franchise changing player as the first pick. For instance, not many thought, going into the 09 draft that after Griffin, there was a bonafide star.

Beasley was viewed as a can't miss prospect, at most, you usually get one of those a year.

Mckphins
12-27-2012, 12:39 AM
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=rFCfUl1R7SQ

goalie
12-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Hands down, no one even close: Nikoloz Tskitishvili. Close second actually: Adam Morrison

Sportfan
12-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Beasley like Derrick Williams and a lot of new players have a tough time adjusting to the NBA because they don't have a position. In this new age of less size and more athletiscm these guys just don't fit too well.

Snakeyestx
12-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Clearly.. you guys forgot about Royce White.

sep11ie
12-27-2012, 12:57 AM
No, Darko or Bowie, or Kwame.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 01:00 AM
His scoring efficiency numbers, i.e. efg%, ts% and o-rating. Again, I suppose the point of him producing at a mediocre level before, gives for some argument. But then again, we're talking about a player whose strength was supposed to be scoring.

You're rght.

For a Small Forward who's game revolves entirely around low % shots typically with high post isolation or pull up jumpshots without attacking the rim he has awful career averages of 45% from the Field and 35% from 3.:rolleyes:

Beasley overall has been the definition of average in his career from his stretch 2 seasons ago where he averaged 21 PPG, 6 RPG, 2 APG through the first 50 games of the season for Minnesota while sharing the spotlight with Kevin Love to where he is at now coming off the bench shooting an inefficient % in a role undefined for him.

Beasley was viewed as a can't miss prospect, at most, you usually get one of those a year.

Who viewed him as a cant miss prospect? Tweener Forwards are never "cant miss" because you never know if their skills translate to the NBA (Beasley's out-muscle, out-athlete you rebounding didnt translate). But it was obvious Beasley, Rose, & Mayo were on a seperate level.

Beasley was compared to Derrick Coleman pre-draft, as many seemed to speculate that his volatile personality & immaturity he was known for in high school wouldn't help him.

Guess what? It didn't. He didn't put up the numbers of prime Coleman and he's already tarnished his reputation around the league at only 23 coupled with the same off the court issues (drug arrest, rehab, 3 children,etc)

More-Than-Most
12-27-2012, 01:08 AM
People who say Kwame really do not understand Basketball...Kwame did not come close to living up to the hype but is still in the league and still serviceable.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Beasley like Derrick Williams and a lot of new players have a tough time adjusting to the NBA because they don't have a position. In this new age of less size and more athletiscm these guys just don't fit too well.

Derrick Williams doesn't have a fit. Unfortunately he was over-drafted in a very, very bad draft in terms of "star potential" players.

But Michael Beasley turned himself into a SF gradually and now it probably would be a trivia question that he led the entire NCAA in rebounding in college playing Power Forward and some Center.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 01:14 AM
People who say Kwame really do not understand Basketball...Kwame did not come close to living up to the hype but is still in the league and still serviceable.

People say Kwame because he was #1 and Jordan hand-picked him.

But I agree. Whether Kwame, Tyson, or Curry went #1 it still would've been laughed at because Jordan didnt pick an All Star.

The biggest bust in NBA history in my opinion is Chris Washburn, but not many people want to discuss him because he was on drugs while he played.

mdm692
12-27-2012, 01:18 AM
He needs to play PF.

jp611
12-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Michael Beasley has the 25th highest Usage Rate in the league. His 10.8 ppg ranks 100th. Thatís not exactly efficient

Fresno
He needs to play PF.

What happens to Scola & Morris?

Phoenix does have the personnel where he'd fit as a stretch 4.

jp611
He needs to play PF.

God no... He can't play PF

str8balla4life
12-27-2012, 01:23 AM
naw not beasley im gonna go with a player that was drafted #1over all and was terrible micheal olowakande to the clippers with the first pick in the 1998 draft .

Ezio
12-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Recent years? I'm thinking Derrick Williams.

HiphopRelated
12-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Thabeet was drafted the next year

jetsfan28
12-27-2012, 01:28 AM
He's an NBA caliber player. Even if you want to eliminate all high school players, high school age Euro players, and young college players, Adam Morrison went 3rd, and he isn't an NBA player.

king4day
12-27-2012, 01:30 AM
I'd put Darko at #1 right now.
Kwame is right there too but he's made a solid NBA career all things considered.

tapajafri
12-27-2012, 02:01 AM
No. He's not even close to being even in consideration.

jchase3
12-27-2012, 02:19 AM
My vote goes to Adam Morrison

DreamShaker
12-27-2012, 02:56 AM
You make some good points, but I just can't put him above some other shady suspects. He is a guy not many people want to label a bust yet, but he has been REALLY bad. I think many people, including me, want to see him turn it around. His college numbers were ridiculous, even though his team stunk. I don't think many people saw his career going like this, though. You kinda woke me up to this debate, though, so i'll keep an eye on what he continues to do this season.

Cal827
12-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Nope, Lebron James is the biggest bust in NBA history.

DreamShaker
12-27-2012, 02:59 AM
My vote goes to Adam Morrison

Fitting the OP's criteria, he has to be the answer. As bad as Beasley has been, he will forever have had a better career than that dude.

rockbottom2010
12-27-2012, 03:08 AM
the guy is only 23....if hes continues to struggle at 27....he will be in the same conversation as bargnani

gotoHcarolina52
12-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Michael Beasley is a bum, but he's not even close to being the biggest bust in NBA history.

rocket
12-27-2012, 03:48 AM
No no no

raiderposting
12-27-2012, 03:52 AM
I don't care about the infraction but this is directed at the op. Are you ****ing ********?

noodle
12-27-2012, 04:02 AM
No.

Cmon already with the dumb threads!

bigmac8675
12-27-2012, 05:20 AM
No, and he is not even close to the worst.

R. Johnson#3
12-27-2012, 05:41 AM
No, Greg Oden is. He was drafted over one of the best players in the NBA today and he hasn't even played more than 10 games in a season. Greg Oden holds this title.

jp611
12-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Only the 12 year olds of the NBA forum would complain about this thread

It's a good discussion... Sorry it's not about Wade being a punk and kicking someone in the balls and you can't bait Miami fans and Justin can't bait you back

This is why the NBA forum is a ****ing joke... I can hardly stand to come here anymore because of the immaturity level

shep33
12-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Definitely a disappointment, but by no means the biggest bust ever.

This kid badly needed to be on that Miami championship team. He needs to be around some vets. So talented, and a lot of what I see from him just seems like a lack of effort

effen5
12-27-2012, 08:46 AM
I don't care about the infraction but this is directed at the op. Are you ****ing ********?

Why don't you reread his original post and then call yourself a ******.

He already gave you numbers but Beasley was suppose to be a "can't miss guy" in the draft. This guy was dominant in college and had a NBA body coming in to the league. People thought he was going to have an immediate impact in the league. Half the Bulls fans were set on picking him in the first round because we needed a scorer.

If you told people back in 2008 how hes traveled team to team and has been inefficient from the field, you think those people would believer you? No.

Is he the bigget bust though? I'm not sure but hes definitlely up there.

As for the others people have brought up in this conversation...Kwame, Thabeet etc....First those players coming in to the league were considered extremely raw, so they have been busts with their teams but in terms of hype coming in to the league? Not so much.

effen5
12-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Only the 12 year olds of the NBA forum would complain about this thread

It's a good discussion... Sorry it's not about Wade being a punk and kicking someone in the balls and you can't bait Miami fans and Justin can't bait you back

This is why the NBA forum is a ****ing joke... I can hardly stand to come here anymore because of the immaturity level

Truth.

PHX2daDEATH
12-27-2012, 09:20 AM
not a chance..
Pervis Ellison #1 overall by the kings, 1989
Kandi Man..#1 overall by the clippers, 1998...
Kwame #1 wizards, 2001

you could throw joe smith and GREG ODEN in there too..

Beasley isnt a bust yet..only 5 or 6 players picked after him have had better careers..if Miami knew what Westbrook could do, you think they'd go back and pick him instead or Kevin Love for that matter...?

jp611
12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Joe Smith had a solid NBA career

quade36
12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, as sad as this sounds, but if you want to talk biggest bust, i.e. a draft pick that did very little for that team. Len Bias comes to mind. Yes, its quite a sad story but he was the number 2 pick in the draft in 86 and of course never played a game due to his OD. Another bust that year was Chris Washburn, the third overall pick. Larue Martin, Darko, Pervis, and Kwame also come to mind.

jp611
12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Also... Only 5 or 6 better than him? I'm counting more like 25-30 players better than him in that draft

Hellcrooner
12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
somoene needs to chec Larue Martins career.

ATX
12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
In NBA history? No

Of that draft? Absolutely

Players that easily have been better to date from that draft: Mayo, Wetbrook, Love, Gallinari, Gordon, Lopez, Hibbert, Anderson, Ibaka, Batum, Hill, Jordan, Asik, Dragic, with some others arguably as productive.

D-Leethal
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I said on draft night the Heat should have drafted OJ Mayo. I think he would have been an epic PG next to Wade, while Wade handled most of the PG duties and Mayo was lights out shooter playing off him.

Will 2 BE
12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Not by a long shot Greg Oden and Kwame Brown hold those titles.

cleptopot
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
No you idiot, he's only having a bad year :facepalm:

ManRam
12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Worst in the history of the NBA?

:laugh:

Why do these "blah blah blah history of the NBA" threads keep popping up when they're not even close. I don't get it. It's not even hyperbole.

Bulls fans always hated Beasley...I guess it's clear that hate can cloud the ability to reason.

jp611
12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
No you idiot, he's only having a bad year :facepalm:

His entire career has been trash... Not just one bad year

jp611
12-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Why do these "blah blah blah history of the NBA" threads keep popping up when they're not even close. I don't get it. It's not even hyperbole.

Bulls fans always hated Beasley...I guess it's clear that hate can cloud the ability to reason.

I doubt he actually believes it... He's trying to spark discussion in a forum that has turned into facepalms and Justin baiting Knicks, nets, and bulls fans

It's a good point... Now I don't believe he's the biggest ever, but he's a huge bust and he's actually negative value to a team so he's worse than just not having a player because he's such a knucklehead

There's already been chatter that he's a cancer to the locker room, an he's got the 25th highest usage in the league, and he's not even in top 100 in scoring

He's awful

Another thing... You clearly didn't read the first post because he explained his reasoning

You saw it was a bulls fan and you let your clouded judgement of bulls fans come into play... You did exactly what you think kozel is trying to do

Fresno
12-27-2012, 11:14 AM
His entire career has been trash... Not just one bad year

A career 15 PPG 5 RPG 45%FG 35%3PT 75%FT guy at only 23 years old has been "trash" his entire career. Sure. :rolleyes:

Those numbers are the definition of average.

Beasley has his moments and he's shown consistency at times to keep up the production for multiple games, but he is just like JR Smith in they cant be relied on to look All Star caliber every night.

ManRam
12-27-2012, 11:14 AM
I doubt he actually believes it... He's trying to spark discussion in a forum that has turned into facepalms and Justin baiting Knicks, nets, and bulls fans

It's a good point... Now I don't believe he's the biggest ever, but he's a huge bust and he's actually negative value to a team so he's worse than just not having a player because he's such a knucklehead

There's already been chatter that he's a cancer to the locker room, an he's got the 25th highest usage in the league, and he's not even in top 100 in scoring

He's awful

Meh. You can spark better discussion, especially without being ridiculous at the same time.

He's awful...yeah. We know...

His first two years he was average/slightly above average.

TruthFreesYou
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Greg Oden!!!!! Greg Oden!!!!!! Greg Oden!!!!!!

(To be honest, I actually think Beasley will be an all-star at least a few times before his career is over..... He can still do it... )

QueensG_718
12-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Greg oden. He was the first pick and the trailblazers passed on durant for him. That alone should make greg oden the biggest bust in nba history.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Oden, Kwame, Olowokandi all were #1 picks that are much worse busts. Then guys who went in the top 5 like Morrison (2 rings!), thabeet, etc can go on and on.

jp611
12-27-2012, 11:26 AM
A career 15 PPG 5 RPG 45%FG 35%3PT 75%FT guy at only 23 years old has been "trash" his entire career. Sure. :rolleyes:

Beasley has his moments and he's shown consistency at times to keep up the production for multiple games, but he is just like JR Smith in they cant be relied on to look All Star caliber every night.

Yeah keep using arbitrary numbers

Mr Grim
12-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Adam Morrison is a far bigger bust.

SlimKid
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
He's definitely not the biggest bust, but the people trying to act like he's just having a down year or acting like he's a serviceable guy obviously haven't watched his career. The dude is flat out awful, and this is coming from a guy who who kept saying he'll eventually get it together, he's having a down year, he's not being used right, etc..

Fresno
12-27-2012, 11:36 AM

What makes him a huge bust?

Nobody guaranteed that he would be some superstar player in the NBA because he lacked a superstar skill-set. He was strong, athletic, could stretch the floor, & is left handed. What he is now is the same player I envisioned he'd be when I first saw him at Oak Hill Academy. He's a 6'9 230lb guy who always wanted to play on the perimeter instead of the post but isn't a great shooter. Who like that has ever been "cant miss"?

Yes, he has been a knucklehead. Thats the write-up on his career.

He was too immature to be left on his own at 19 in a place like Miami with millions of dollars to his name. He smokes weed, been to jail, been to rehab, been on 3 different teams, & he has 3 kids. Facts.

But everyone who follows college basketball knew he had issues and then anybody who actually looks into the NBA Draft deeper than just seeing the Draft on TV knew that as well.

I just hate that we're only 4 years in and people are actually having these discussions with this hindsight view of things as if Beasley was predicted to be destined for stardom because he was NOT. Remember he is 23 years old, unless he literally can't get out of shooting funk for the rest of his career then its way too early to classify him as anything but an underachiever just like OJ Mayo was up to now. But it seems that even if he averages 20 PPG again... on some team it wont matter because he should be some superstar and isn't.

He's awful

You're judging a 27 game sample which he has been terrible while dealing with a few injuries, but Kevin Love has been just as terrible shooting 37% this season with injuries.

The guy is having an awful start to his season, he is not by any means an awful player overall for his career.

He's been shooting poorly but if he was as awful as you're pretending he is then he would be out of the league like Adam Morrison or Alando Tucker. He put up the worst season of his career last year and still his market value as a Free Agent was $6 Million per year on the scoring spark he gives you.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah keep using arbitrary numbers

I didn't know we were talking baseball and not basketball.

You want to pull out some WIP, WPA, and WAR stats to back up your argument about guys who put a ball through a hoop.

jp611
12-27-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm judging his whole career

3 stops... 2 ugly exits and 1 on the way to it

His efficiency has been bad his whole career, lets not act like this season he just started to become inefficient... This has been going on since he joined the league

He's a major major bust... And he was supposed to be a sure fire scoring star in this league... I remember the Durant comparisons... Yikes

jp611
12-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I didn't know we were talking baseball and not basketball.

You want to pull out some WIP, WPA, and WAR stats to back up your argument about guys who put a ball through a hoop.

TS%, efg% go check those out for his career

Fresno
12-27-2012, 11:47 AM
He's definitely not the biggest bust, but the people trying to act like he's just having a down year or acting like he's a serviceable guy obviously haven't watched his career. The dude is flat out awful, and this is coming from a guy who who kept saying he'll eventually get it together, he's having a down year, he's not being used right, etc..

His terrible shot selection makes it appear that way.

A bone-headed 1 man fast break to a pull up contested 20 foot jumper is more damning to Beasley than him isolating a guy from 15 feet out and nailing a fadeaway jumper.

But I've heard the same argument used about Carmelo Anthony for the last 6 years to be exact despite his shots actually going in and being honored as an All NBA/All Star player.

Im not sure what Beasley will put together.

He is what he is. A mercurial talent.

The thing is he continues to work and improve on things that he shouldn't for a player his size as he slimmed down in an attempt to be more agile this season to play on the perimeter and improved big time on his ballhandling.

SlimKid
12-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm judging his whole career

3 stops... 2 ugly exits and 1 on the way to it

His efficiency has been bad his whole career, lets not act like this season he just started to become inefficient... This has been going on since he joined the league

He's a major major bust... And he was supposed to be a sure fire scoring star in this league... I remember the Durant comparisons... Yikes

My sentiments exactly.

YashBoone
12-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I definitely see the argument.
My brother has been a huge heat fan since way back, and when they got Beasley, he thought it was automatic finals appearance, HAHAHAHAHA

He is disappointing but far from the biggest flop.

Kwame and Oden at number 1
And Darko at number 2 have got to be worse.
Especially considering the other players involved in those drafts

Darko was taken over wade bosh and melo, lmao..... He does have a ring tho.

SlimKid
12-27-2012, 11:56 AM
His terrible shot selection makes it appear that way.

A bone-headed 1 man fast break to a pull up contested 20 foot jumper is more damning to Beasley than him isolating a guy from 15 feet out and nailing a fadeaway jumper.

But I've heard the same argument used about Carmelo Anthony for the last 6 years to be exact despite his shots actually going in and being honored as an All NBA/All Star player.

Im not sure what Beasley will put together.

He is what he is. A mercurial talent.

The thing is he continues to work and improve on things that he shouldn't for a player his size as he slimmed down in an attempt to be more agile this season to play on the perimeter and improved big time on his ballhandling.

Yes, he is what he is, a terribly inefficient player who lives solely on his athleticism. I shouldn't have even posted in this forum, arguing over Beasley is such a dumb adventure. There will always be people who will see all the potential in him and keep giving him the benefit of the doubt, that is until he plays for their team. I said the same stuff when the Wolves got him from the Heat, it only leads to disappointment.

KnickNyKnick
12-27-2012, 11:57 AM
id always have him on my bench, really underrated

RLundi
12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
In the history? No, not at all, projections and expectations notwithstanding. He's still a decent player. If he flamed out after a few seasons or never did ANYTHING, then sure, maybe. But he hasn't been a bust; just not as good as advertised. Huge difference.

YashBoone
12-27-2012, 12:01 PM
By the way, didn't jorda draft both Adam Morrison and kwame brown?

Tymathee
12-27-2012, 12:05 PM
here are some names

Stromile Swift #2
D Miles #3
DerMarr Johnson #6

Kwame Brown #1
Eddy Curry #4
Diop #8
Nikoloz Tskitishvili #5
Mike Sweetney #9
Shaun Livingston #4
Marvin Williams #2
Andrea Bargnani #1
Morrison #3
Tyrus Thomas #4
Greg Oden #1

Beasley is easily better than all of those players.

OH and dont forget the biggest bust of all

Hasheem Thabeet #2 2009 NBA Draft

Chronz
12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Why not?

Looks below average to me, but the greatest concern is how his play translates into a team structure. A guy like Jason Collins can put up meager statistics and have a place in the league forever, a guy like Beasley reminds me of a Ron Mercer type of career, flash in the pan, impresses people with his midrange game but eventually the % bear out a player that is too inefficient to lead an offense and not smart enough to be a low possession player.

Smith was equally unreliable but his highs were much higher, and unlike Beasley has actually attempted to work on his floor game.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 12:08 PM
TS%, efg% go check those out for his career

Beasley has a career TS% of .507(counting this terrible season)

Am I being trolled?

That is below league average, but many "good/Elite" players have a below average TS%. Comes with not getting to the line in Beasley's case to make up for his barrage of low % jumpers, an issue a lot of other good players have. He falls right in the middle of the pack among NBA players overall for his career with that meaningless stat, except this season so far where he is near the bottom.

Same with eFG%. League average is 49% and for his career he is at 47%(counting this terrible season)

What exactly are you arguing? Nobody in here will tell you he isn't disappointing so far in that he hasn't been consistent as a player.

but.....

1. You're not the OP but you're trying to backup his argument that 3 people polled agree with.

2. You already agreed that he isn't the biggest bust in NBA history so what is your purpose? Post irrelevant "advanced statistics" that tell me Chris Wilcox leads the league in TS% among qualified players. Im supposed to sort through "advanced data" that puts Jason Terry over Chris Paul when basketball fans clearly can recognize Paul is more supremely talented than Terry.

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:20 PM

LOL.

Bulls fans always hated Beasley? I'm glad you can speak for all of us, Manram.

We stopped giving two ***** about him within one month after the draft when the selections were made.

Why in God's name should I hate Michael Beasley or any Bulls fan for that matter? We didn't even have any rivalry with Miami at the time. :laugh2:

jp611
12-27-2012, 12:23 PM
His TS has gone down every single year since coming into the league... He's getting worse even

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:25 PM
here are some names

Stromile Swift #2
D Miles #3
DerMarr Johnson #6

Kwame Brown #1
Eddy Curry #4
Diop #8
Nikoloz Tskitishvili #5
Mike Sweetney #9
Shaun Livingston #4
Marvin Williams #2
Andrea Bargnani #1
Morrison #3
Tyrus Thomas #4
Greg Oden #1

Beasley is easily better than all of those players.

OH and dont forget the biggest bust of all

Hasheem Thabeet #2 2009 NBA Draft

I guess for me, bust also comes down to the expectations when coming into the league as well as the idea of whether a player fails due to injury or lack of desire to get better. I suppose its a personal definition that not everyone will agree.

For instance, in the case of Oden it's hard for me to call him a bust because injuries, which are typically beyond his control, derailed his career. And then in the case of Thabeet, then and now, he had no business going #2.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Simple question. I expect to hear the usual suspects like Darko, Bowie and Kwame. But here's my argument here. In the case of Bowie, he got injured (not his fault) and viewed as a bad pick from the get go. In the case of Kwame, he was just another raw HS player in a draft that notoriously produced very little anyway. And in the case of Darko, much like Kwame, he was also very raw and proved very little beforehand if I recall correctly.

And then there is Beasley. A player who not only had obvious NBA talent, but who had one of the best college seasons by a freshman. Not only that, but he also wasn't one of those raw "projects" who had to be developed, he was NBA ready and polished and suffered no big time injuries in the NBA. In short, he is the prime example of a big time talent who failed because he had no work ethic nor took the sport seriously. It obviously doesn't help that that same draft proved to be very deep and produced other big time talents after him like Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, and Eric Gordon.

So, is Michael Beasley the biggest bust in NBA history?

Not even close

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Whatever, I didn't think so many would be so vehemently opposed. But it's fine. Apparently, this is viewed as trolling.

Back to the threads about Wade kicking people's nuts and the happenings of the Lakers.

Jiggy2maHeat
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Didn't Beasley say he wants to be MVP in his rookie year? He raised the bar for himself and he is yet to reach half that bar.

http://dimemag.com/2008/10/michael-beasley-wants-to-be-mvp/

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
His TS has gone down every single year since coming into the league... He's getting worse even

Even so, he is still worlds better than a lot of other guys mentioned.

I'd like to hear your argument that Beasley is a bigger bust over someone like Thabeet (drafted at the same spot as Beasley), Stromile Swift drafted at 2 also, Oden, Olowokandi, Morrison, Nikoloz Tskitishvili drafted at 5, Shawn Livingston, Sheldon Williams, Marvin Williams, Yi, I could go on and on.

BKLYNpigeon
12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
they should ban whoever made this thread....so stupid.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Why not?

That sets the bar quite high don't you think?

Looks below average to me, but the greatest concern is how his play translates into a team structure. A guy like Jason Collins can put up meager statistics and have a place in the league forever, a guy like Beasley reminds me of a Ron Mercer type of career, flash in the pan, impresses people with his midrange game but eventually the % bear out a player that is too inefficient to lead an offense and not smart enough to be a low possession player.

You're right.....1/2 way.

Beasley still has to discover what he is to a team and solidify himself as a "role player" instead of a guy who comes off the bench and feels he has the green light to shoot. He was a good man defender at the 4 in his rookie year showing that potential defensively with his size, strength & length, but the following year he came into camp out of shape and he's never been remotely a good man defender since then. A lot of things he does now at 23 he wont be able to do as he approaches 30 unless you're productive on the opposite side of the court. Ron Artest & Stephen Jackson have similar delusions of their young days with their shot selection but continue to stick because they defend well.

You're wrong with bringing up Ron Mercer in comparison. Mercer was a tall, athletic swingman who couldn't play the 3, only the 2. Much like a Nick Young of today. Did the same things. But he got hurt and with a position so replacable at SG that is a recipe for a quick exit out the league.

Beasley is such a unique talent as a scoring combo forward that he will stick in the league longer than others playing as poorly as him even if he has to ride the end of the bench.

Just look at how long The Rifleman Chuck Person lasted in the NBA.

Smith was equally unreliable but his highs were much higher, and unlike Beasley has actually attempted to work on his floor game.
Really? What were JR Smith's higher highs? (not involving a drug)

Both players have improved their ballhandling in case you haven't noticed that Beasley has put the ball on the floor way more in his career than he previously did in Minnesota where he would Melo his way to a spot on the floor for an isolation and take the shot instead of driving.

JWO35
12-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Nah...he's far from it. I just think he never lived up to the hype, he is still a solid player and will probably have a long career if he stays out of trouble. Guys like Kwame, Darko, etc. has done 0.

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:33 PM

I'd like to hear your argument that Beasley is a bigger bust over someone like Thabeet (drafted at the same spot as Beasley), Stromile Swift drafted at 2 also, Oden, Olowokandi, Morrison, Nikoloz Tskitishvili drafted at 5, Shawn Livingston, Sheldon Williams, Marvin Williams, Yi, I could go on and on.

My argument is that not all of them had the same expectations as Beasley did when entering the draft, expect for Oden on that list. And personally, I don't like labeling a player when something beyond their control, i.e. injury, derails their career. Maybe I'm wrong in that matter of thinking, but that's how I see it? :shrug:

effen5
12-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I think the reason why Beasley is considered a bust was because not only was he drafted high but because he absolutely dominated in college and lot of people thought it would transfer over to the NBA. On the other hand with guys like thabeet, they still had a lot of question marks coming into the league.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I guess he needs to retire at 23 then.:D

Just retire mid-season to stop from somehow getting even worse and ruining your reputation to jpro611 & kozelkid

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 12:37 PM
My argument is that not all of them had the same expectations as Beasley did when entering the draft, expect for Oden on that list. And personally, I don't like labeling a player when something beyond their control, i.e. injury, derails their career. Maybe I'm wrong in that matter of thinking, but that's how I see it? :shrug:

I think the reason why Beasley is considered a bust was because not only was he drafted high but because he absolutely dominated in college and lot of people thought it would transfer over to the NBA. On the other hand with guys like thabeet, they still had a lot of question marks coming into the league.

What about Morrison then? Thabeet was pretty decent and dominant in college too for a bit.

jp611
12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Whatever, I didn't think so many would be so vehemently opposed. But it's fine. Apparently, this is viewed as trolling.

Back to the threads about Wade kicking people's nuts and the happenings of the Lakers.

This place is *** backwards :laugh2:

Apparently if you don't put a facepalm in your post or call someone a hater you're not welcome in here

This is exactly why I rarely post in this cesspool

Badluck33
12-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Michael Olowokandi and thabeet is making a strong point now too.

RLundi
12-27-2012, 12:40 PM

That doesn't make you a bust. I don't know what the unofficial definition of a bust is but I know what it's not: someone that performed below expectations.

Busts are usually players that flame and fizzle out of the league or do absolutely nothing with their career. Just because Beasley isn't as good as advertised does not mean he's a bust. Average does not equal bust, no matter where he was drafted. And even if you argue that he is a bust, he surely isn't the biggest bust in NBA history, not when you have Olowokandis and Morrisons walking around.

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:40 PM
What about Morrison then? Thabeet was pretty decent and dominant in college too for a bit.

All Thabeet literally do is block shots. He didn't even average a high number of rebounds with his impressive size.

Morrison is a fair point, but I don't recall his upside being viewed close to Beasley's and many believed (and obviously still do) that he was picked too high. Still, the fact that he couldn't even manage a role player gig, confirms he's pretty bad.

jp611
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I guess he needs to retire at 23 then.:D

Just retire mid-season to stop from somehow getting even worse and ruining your reputation to jpro611 & kozelkid

Or he could just improve his game and not be a cancer to his team

Just a thought

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Apparently if you don't put a facepalm in your post or call someone a hater you're not welcome in here

Or because what the OP suggested is wrong. :shrug:

miller74
12-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Kwame, Olowonkandi also up there.

He was so bad i wont even correct that spelling

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 12:44 PM
All Thabeet literally do is block shots. He didn't even average a high number of rebounds with his impressive size.

Morrison is a fair point, but I don't recall his upside being viewed close to Beasley's and many believed (and obviously still do) that he was picked too high. Still, the fact that he couldn't even manage a role player gig, confirms he's pretty bad.

Thabeet played a pretty big role on a national championship team. Morrison put up similar ppg numbers to Beasley if I recall his junior year. Beasley was a 1 and done which makes it hard to tell what they will do in the pros.

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:44 PM

I mean, I have no qualms with being wrong. But clearly the maturity has really gone down (which is saying something), when you're labeled as a "******" or "troll" for trying to create a discussion even if it's unpopular or I'm wrong.

That doesn't make you a bust. I don't know what the unofficial definition of a bust is but I know what it's not: someone that performed below expectations.

Busts are usually players that flame and fizzle out of the league or do absolutely nothing with their career. Just because Beasley isn't as good as advertised does not mean he's a bust. Average does not equal bust, no matter where he was drafted. And even if you argue that he is a bust, he surely isn't the biggest bust in NBA history, not when you have Olowokandis and Morrisons walking around.

Perhaps, I can see that. Although, on the otherhand, with his current play, I'd argue he has no business in the league in the first place. He isn't a role player who is great at one particular role (i.e. 3pt shooter or defender or rebounder) and overall he is literally detrimental to the team when he plays.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Nah...he's far from it. I just think he never lived up to the hype, he is still a solid player and will probably have a long career if he stays out of trouble. Guys like Kwame, Darko, etc. has done 0.

Exactly.

Darko never really seemed to love the game and I think its because Larry Brown destroyed his confidence as soon as he got in the NBA as an un-cultured Central European kid who had just turned 18. Larry made it clear to him he was worthless and had no place in the NBA when he got there while his counterparts were handed starting jobs and progessed sooner.

He became a basketball joke and by the time he got to Boston with a coach in Doc Rivers who talked him up in the media and seemed to genuinely care about Darko being a role player.....Darko was so far mentally drained that he asked for his release to go back home. :pity:

I wont be surprised if he goes to Europe and has a great career there then comes back to the NBA at like 32.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Thabeet played a pretty big role on a national championship team.

UConn didnt win a Championship with Thabeet.

Fresno
12-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Or he could just improve his game and not be a cancer to his team

Just a thought

Maybe he should just work his way out of the funk he has been in the last 2 seasons without you calling him a terrible player.

Do you have the patience?

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Or because what the OP suggested is wrong. :shrug:

Again, I'm fine with being wrong. I just think it's stupid (and I assume that's what jpro sees) when people need to attack a poster and claim this thread is because they're either a "Bulls fan" or "trolling." But it is what it is.

Thabeet played a pretty big role on a national championship team.

No he didn't; he was drafted by then.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 12:48 PM
UConn didnt win a Championship with Thabeet.

you're right, my bad. Only got to the final 4

Ill21
12-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Not even close

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Again, I'm fine with being wrong. I just think it's stupid (and I assume that's what jpro sees) when people need to attack a poster and claim this thread is because they're either a "Bulls fan" or "trolling." But it is what it is.

No he didn't; he was drafted by then.

Yep, i messed that up. And I do agree with you on the 1st part. It's a legitimate question (I just think others are bigger busts even considering expectations over Beasley), I don't see it as trolling whatsoever. If people view it that way, then they should be smart enough to ****in leave.

jp611
12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Maybe he should just work his way out of the funk he has been in the last 2 seasons without you calling him a terrible player.

Do you have the patience?

Wow

2 years is a large enough sample size

He'll be out of the league soon enough

RLundi
12-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I mean, I have no qualms with being wrong. But clearly the maturity has really gone down (which is saying something), when you're labeled as a "******" or "troll" for trying to create a discussion even if it's unpopular or I'm wrong.

Perhaps, I can see that. Although, on the otherhand, with his current play, I'd argue he has no business in the league in the first place. He isn't a role player who is great at one particular role (i.e. 3pt shooter or defender or rebounder) and overall he is literally detrimental to the team when he plays.

Well you're looking at one season. The total body of work suggests that he's at least average. Right now, yeah he's playing like crap, but still not bust-worthy. It's only about a third of the season that has passed. A more accurate determination could be made at season's end.

In no way am I saying he's a good player, because he's been on a downward spiral and at this rate, next season he'll have a PER around 7.5. But Adam Morrison has a CAREER PER of 7, just to put it into perspective.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow

He'll be 24 in 2 weeks. Even if skill wise he doesn't improve much, if he matures his game will become better than it is now, which is still good enough to be in the league.

onlythisfar41
12-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Right expectations have to be accounted for, which is why you are still wrong with your thinking. Guys like Kwame and Darko were drated extremely high, meaning they were thought to be so good that they were worth spending a top 3 draft pick on. When you draft somone in the top 3 you EXPECT them to produce for you big time. You dont use a pick like that and think, "Hmm I dont really think this guy is going to be great but lets see what happens". No you draft them there under the assumption that they will be your franchise player.

Moral of the story, Beasley is not even close to the biggest bust in NBA history.

rhymeratic
12-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Michael Beasley = Slightly better version of Charlie Villanueva.

Nick O
12-27-2012, 01:01 PM
biggest bust???? lol.. what? sure he isnt good but he can still play in the NBA .. hell he can score in the NBA too ... he was disappointing but no where near the biggest bust

Fresno
12-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Wow

:pity:

Go tweet him or something.

blacknell
12-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Sam Bowie just because he was taken in front of MJ

MiamiBoy77
12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
if the heat had drafted Love Westbrook Gordon we wouldnt have gotten LeBron... so i say win

dtmagnet
12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Do you remember guys like Greg Oden and Kwame Brown?

ManRam
12-27-2012, 01:49 PM
LOL.

Bulls fans always hated Beasley? I'm glad you can speak for all of us, Manram.

We stopped giving two ***** about him within one month after the draft when the selections were made.

Why in God's name should I hate Michael Beasley or any Bulls fan for that matter? We didn't even have any rivalry with Miami at the time. :laugh2:

Rose v Beasley was a hefty little rivalry here on PSD...don't act like it wasn't. Of course all Bulls fans didn't hate Beasley, but it was strongly prevalent. It was a rivalry, period.

I don't know why I get so frustrated - but I do - with all the ridiculous claims. It's like the "Was the Lin signing the worst EVER". It's silly and intellectually dishonest. Just say, "all things considered, how big of a bust has Beasley been?". This thread is based on a completely preposterous claim. It's dumb :shrug:

Yes, he had high expectations. Yes, he is a bust. But no, he isn't close to being the worst ever. Hell, the team that drated him wasn't affected in the least bit ultimately. Some of the other great busts both had horrible careers AND crippled their teams. Beasley didn't do that latter. Therefore, it doesn't compare.

ManRam
12-27-2012, 02:06 PM
First overall picks with worse careers than Beasley:

LaRue Martin: 1.9 WS, .024 WS/48
Michael Olawakandi: 2.5 WS, .009 WS/48

Beasley: 9.4, .053 WS/48

Probably a few more if you go further back.

Then there are the players like Jay Williams, Greg Oden, Len Bias etc. Those were more crippling.

In recent memory, I'd imagine Tskitizsvhili was more of a bust. He was infinitely worse than Beasley is even now. One of the worst players ever, regardless of draft position.

Adam Morrison was way worse than Beasley. Chris Washburn was a much bigger bust. Thabeet is as much of a bust. Marcus Fizer had a worse career (4th pick v 2nd pick makes Beasley probably more of a bust). You could argue Ed O'Bannon, though drafted later, was a bigger bust because of how much worse he was than Beasley and how in 2 years he was done in the NBA. Dennis Hopson was equally as hyped, and flopped harder.

He's up there, but it's still a pretty foolish claim.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Rose v Beasley was a hefty little rivalry here on PSD...don't act like it wasn't. Of course all Bulls fans didn't hate Beasley, but it was strongly prevalent. It was a rivalry, period.

I don't know why I get so frustrated - but I do - with all the ridiculous claims. It's like the "Was the Lin signing the worst EVER". It's silly and intellectually dishonest. Just say, "all things considered, how big of a bust has Beasley been?". This thread is based on a completely preposterous claim. It's dumb :shrug:

Yes, he had high expectations. Yes, he is a bust. But no, he isn't close to being the worst ever. Hell, the team that drated him wasn't affected in the least bit ultimately. Some of the other great busts both had horrible careers AND crippled their teams. Beasley didn't do that latter. Therefore, it doesn't compare.

It was, leading up to the draft and then maybe the 1st few months of the season. Then it turned into Beasley+Chalmers vs. Rose, and soon after it all went away when Derrick blew up.

Sadds The Gr8
12-27-2012, 02:30 PM
no, but he's been an incredible disappointment. I thought he would've been the best player in that draft

kozelkid
12-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Up until the draft and maybe for a month later. And seriously, manram, should I really have any reason to hate Beasley at this point? The guy is irrelevant while Rose went on to dominate. Even if I didn't like Beasley then, the rivalry became irrelevant fairly quickly for me obviously to have no reason to be bitter at this point.

I don't understand why you always have this paranoia that people have to have some ulterior motive for making a post or creating a thread. We are talking about Michael ****ing Beasley for Christ's sake.

I didn't think it was when I made the thread. Maybe it's cause I had higher expectations for Beasley than I did for say Kwame, Morrison and Olowakandi. Again, for me personally, I thought that Beasley had a significantly higher realistic upside than those 3. I get that they were beyond putrid the moment they got here, but I view as Beasley's overall fall from grace as great. Just my opinion. :shrug:

That's not a logic that really has any relevance to the player in particular. Miami wasn't crippled because they had a top 5 NBA player in Dwyane Wade and then pulled off an awesome free agency in 2010.

Any other lottery team at the time and I'm sure its impact would have been much worse.

RLundi
12-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't know why I get so frustrated - but I do - with all the ridiculous claims. It's like the "Was the Lin signing the worst EVER". It's silly and intellectually dishonest.

Lol yup. Threads continually pop up asking if something or someone is the worst or best of ALL-TIME. It's annoying. Every week is another 'All-time' or 'in the history of the NBA' thread or question. Why can't a simple question be asked without attaching an all-encompassing historical moniker to it? It makes the thread lose credibility in my opinion.

The question for this thread was at least legitimate albeit short-sighted. But people, can we please stop with the 'All-time' threads? Thanks.

Hawkeye15
12-27-2012, 04:06 PM
he isn't close to the biggest bust in history, but he sure is not a player you want taking a high amount of shots, or playing many minutes if you want to win a game.

abe_froman
12-27-2012, 04:39 PM
ok,people learn something about history before throwing out the "of all time" or "in history" tag on your question.there has been so many ridiculous threads that i've seen the past week on here with those tags.candy man wasnt so long ago,adam morrison wasnt so long ,ect that the people that post on here dont remember them

Stinkyoutsider
12-27-2012, 04:42 PM
This guy Beasley is a bust because people thought he was going to be a franchise player...

This guy should be a star right now with the skillset he came into the league with. It's his decisions that let him down. He's so determined to be a star and to be a number one option on the Suns now that he's turning in poor performances.

Beasley seems like a player that needs to let the game come to him, not to force things. And, I could have sworn that Beasley continues to push himself through this injury he picked up, for like the last 2 seasons. He needs to slow down and make better decisions.

Take a little time off to get to 100% and then let the game come to him offensively. He's too talented not to be scoring 20 a game. He should do this or he's going to see himself out of the rotation.

Everymanalion
12-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Kwame/Oden.

king4day
12-27-2012, 09:07 PM
if the heat had drafted Love Westbrook Gordon we wouldnt have gotten LeBron... so i say win

Even Rose. They would have probably just went after Bosh instead since they'd have their scorerer/facilitator and then the PF they need.

king4day
12-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Watching every Suns game he's played in, he's just not a great ball player. His D is his worst enemy right now. Offensively he can make things happen but he's so bad on D that he doesn't get enough minutes to even try to take over games.

TheNumber37
12-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Noooo. guess what Evan Turner is having a worse career