PDA

View Full Version : Keith Smart choosing not to play Cousins yet

spreadeagle
12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
This is gunna get good in the next few weeks lol

The teamís suspension was ended but that apparently doesnít mean DeMarcus Cousins is back with the Kings.

Cousins practiced with the team on Monday but is not with the team now in Portland for a Wednesday night game, tweets Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee. (Tyreke Evans is out as well as he recovers from a sore left knee.)

Why? Itís simply coach Keith Smartís call and he said that Cousins was clear to practice but that was different than playing in a game. Draw your own conclusions. Cousins apparently had a few words with an assistant coach during a Christmas Eve practice but it didnít appear to be major. This could still be residual from the last argument at half time, a profanity-laced tirade that got Cousins suspended by the team.

The Kings won their one game so far without Cousins, a 108-96 win over Portland.

As has been noted before, Smart essentially got this job because he had a good relationship with Cousins, a guy the Kings think could be a franchise player. Other teams agree he has the talent but few are interested in doing a fair trade for him (if any at all) because of concerns about his behavior and how heíll fit in the locker room.

Cousins switched agents as well to Dan Fegan. Who was the guy who brought us the Dwightmare in Orlando. So, expect more fireworks down the line.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/26/demarcus-cousins-not-with-kings-in-portland-tonight/

*Superman*
12-26-2012, 07:36 PM
He better be traded before the deadline.

tapajafri
12-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Keith Smart is a good coach in some ways, but he's not a good X's and O's type of coach and he's certainly not a good coach for that Kings team because they're loaded with young talent/potential, but too much inexperience.

The Kings should dump Smart before they dump Cousins. Times running out. If they can't establish some type of hope for winning soon, Cousins is going to end up with a veteran team like Boston or San Antonio, and then turn into a superstar. Sacramento is going to miss out on a very talented player because their franchise is a disaster (starting with their ownership)

Cousins will be a superstar someday, but it all depends on which team he ends up with.

Sportfan
12-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Send him to Boston!

Fresno
12-26-2012, 07:46 PM
He better be traded before the deadline.

To Orlando? :rolleyes:

The Kings aren't trading DeMarcus Cousins, no matter what he does and he knows this. Outside of Tyreke Evans the Kings basically would have nothing of value left on their team if they made a deal like that.

The worst thing they could do is to leave their city with a terrible team.

topdog
12-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Keith Smart is a good coach in some ways, but he's not a good X's and O's type of coach and he's certainly not a good coach for that Kings team because they're loaded with young talent/potential, but too much inexperience.

The Kings should dump Smart before they dump Cousins. Times running out. If they can't establish some type of hope for winning soon, Cousins is going to end up with a veteran team like Boston or San Antonio, and then turn into a superstar. Sacramento is going to miss out on a very talented player because their franchise is a disaster (starting with their ownership)

Cousins will be a superstar someday, but it all depends on which team he ends up with.

No way do you dump another coach for Cousins. Maybe you replace both, but Smart got the job as anadvocate for Cousins and if he doesn't work out who do you expect will?

The Kings roster needs a total makeover. Cousins shouldn't (and isn't) so untouchable as not to be moved if fair value can be returned. The best move they can make is one which brings in a respectable talented veteran. Hayes and Garcia are veterans and perhaps leaders but their play hardly commands respect.

topdog
12-26-2012, 07:49 PM
To Orlando? :rolleyes:

The Kings aren't trading DeMarcus Cousins, no matter what he does and he knows this. Outside of Tyreke Evans the Kings basically would have nothing of value left on their team if they made a deal like that.

The worst thing they could do is to leave their city.

Fixed it.

Fresno
12-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Boston & San Antonio? Where did they come from?

He's more likely to end up on the Heat than on either of those 2 teams.

tapajafri
12-26-2012, 07:52 PM
No way do you dump another coach for Cousins. Maybe you replace both, but Smart got the job as anadvocate for Cousins and if he doesn't work out who do you expect will?

The Kings roster needs a total makeover. Cousins shouldn't (and isn't) so untouchable as not to be moved if fair value can be returned. The best move they can make is one which brings in a respectable talented veteran. Hayes and Garcia are veterans and perhaps leaders but their play hardly commands respect.

They wouldn't be dumping Smart JUST for Cousins, they'd be doing it for the entire team. He's just not a good X's and O's coach. All the kings do are 1 on 5. They never move the ball, they hardly run any sets, and Smart changes his lineup a hundred times. I like Keith Smart as a person and he's a good coach in some ways, but these young players on the kings don't play as a team. There's no stability or consistency. All they do is Tyreke 1 on 5. Cousins doesn't move the ball either despite being a pretty good passer for a big man. Thornton jacks up shots. Their ball movement is terrible. You're right, their roster needs a makeover. They have a lot of young talent, but they don't mesh well together. And you're also right about veteran leadership. They have none.....which doesn't bode well for the young talent they have in guys like Cousins, Evans, Thompson, Thomas, etc.

tapajafri
12-26-2012, 07:53 PM

All I said was if he ended up on a team with veteran leadership with players and coaches LIKE san antonio or boston.... i just used them as examples of situations where he would blossom into a star. He could go to Miami too, where Lebron's leadership would have a beneficial effect on him.

topdog
12-26-2012, 07:57 PM
They wouldn't be dumping Smart JUST for Cousins, they'd be doing it for the entire team. He's just not a good X's and O's coach. All the kings do are 1 on 5. They never move the ball, they hardly run any sets, and Smart changes his lineup a hundred times. I like Keith Smart as a person and he's a good coach in some ways, but these young players on the kings don't play as a team. There's no stability or consistency. All they do is Tyreke 1 on 5. Cousins doesn't move the ball either despite being a pretty good passer for a big man. Thornton jacks up shots. Their ball movement is terrible. You're right, their roster needs a makeover. They have a lot of young talent, but they don't mesh well together. And you're also right about veteran leadership. They have none.....which doesn't bode well for the young talent they have in guys like Cousins, Evans, Thompson, Thomas, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I was surprised when they chose Smart as Count Dooku's replacement. I just don't think it makes much sense to get rid of him though until you figure out what is going on with Cousins because Smart was promoted under the assumption that he would be able to keep Demarcus under control and happy. If he can't, who can?

Fresno
12-26-2012, 08:03 PM

A coach who actually knows how to "coach".

The issue with Smart & Cousins isn't personal. It revolves entirely around Cousins taking his frustrations over the strange rotations, lack of any offensive sets being run despite Smart working on triangle offense plays in training camp, and the losing that continues to come along with it.

I suggested Jerry Sloan as soon as the season began considering he is interested in getting back into coaching. If not, they need someone sitting as an assistant coach elsewhere who is known for their X's and O's.

Winning changes everything.

There is no fair value for an asset like Cousins(or Evans) who don't have a measure of their upside. Both players in their first 3 seasons have flashed potential for an entire season of being a franchise player.

Washington learned this the hard way giving up both Webber & Rasheed.

Sacramento has to make those 2 guys untouchable by default until they see what they turn into by 26 or 27. Still a young age too, but its enough time to see what they are in the league.

Sportfan
12-26-2012, 08:13 PM

how is he going to end up with the heat?

You can't see Boston or SA making a run at him? Well, maybe not SA with the way Splitter is playing recently but imagine him with Duncan :drool:

Fresno
12-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I was surprised when they chose Smart as Count Dooku's replacement. I just don't think it makes much sense to get rid of him though until you figure out what is going on with Cousins because Smart was promoted under the assumption that he would be able to keep Demarcus under control and happy. If he can't, who can?

Everyone can see what is going on with Cousins.

He's 22 and immature.

But Keith Smart isn't going to be fired directly due to what is going on with Cousins, it is because the team is terrible and he continues to not keep consistent rotations for guys to establish what their role is on the team.

Cousins shouting match gets attention but nobody notices that he has their last 2 lottery picks Jimmer & T-Rob rotting away on the bench.

DoMeFavors
12-26-2012, 08:15 PM
if they really want Cousins the Kings...then they should hire Coach Cal..he seems like the only guy that Cousins respects

tripleplay2007
12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I hope OKC makes the move to bring him in. We have the pieces to make a really nice package: Toronto's 1st, Dallas' 1st, OKC 1st, PJIII, Jeremy Lamb, Kendrick Perkins, DeAndre Liggins, Hasheem Thabeet, Daniel Orton, Reggie Jackson, Eric Maynor...

topdog
12-26-2012, 08:21 PM

The issue with Smart & Cousins isn't personal. It revolves entirely around Cousins taking his frustrations over the strange rotations, lack of any offensive sets being run despite Smart working on triangle offense plays in training camp, and the losing that continues to come along with it.

I suggested Jerry Sloan as soon as the season began considering he is interested in getting back into coaching. If not, they need someone sitting as an assistant coach elsewhere who is known for their X's and O's.

There is no fair value for an asset like Cousins(or Evans) who don't have a measure of their upside. Both players in their first 3 seasons have flashed potential for an entire season of being a franchise player.

Sacramento has to make those 2 guys untouchable by default until they see what they turn into by 26 or 27. Still a young age too, but its enough time to see what they are in the league.

I disagree. Sometimes players will never develop without a change of scenery or some sort of spark that pushes them to be better. Harden, for instance, wasn't likely to be a 30 point scorer in OKC. The Kings have plenty of young talent (perhaps too much). They do need someone to enforce discipline and give the team direction, but part of that is management showing it won't accept selfish play and that no one is above being moved. Addition by subtraction could be a start and then you figure out who is best to coach your new team.

Fresno
12-26-2012, 08:23 PM
how is he going to end up with the heat?
Pat Riley works in mysterious ways.:cool:

You can't see Boston or SA making a run at him? Well, maybe not SA with the way Splitter is playing recently but imagine him with Duncan :drool:
No.

I dont see Boston or SA wanting a player like him on their team, if they chased guys like that then they wouldn't be as good as they are now.

Hes too young & immature to fit in after being a star on "his" team.

They can make a phone call but I doubt Sacramento is the one calling them begging for a backup PF and a couple first round picks to do a deal.

Fresno
12-26-2012, 08:44 PM
I disagree. Sometimes players will never develop without a change of scenery or some sort of spark that pushes them to be better. Harden, for instance, wasn't likely to be a 30 point scorer in OKC.
A change of scenery usually only benefits a player statistically to go to a worse team than they were previously on.

To me Harden isn't any better or different of a player than he was last season or in London. He's just now on a team that is using him as their #1 option but he still would give you 25+ point nights as a 6th Man in OKC playing next to the best scoring PG and best scoring SF in the league.

While players Cousins & Evans would definetly thrive with a change of scenery with a good coach but it still makes more sense for the team to see if they can ever reach their potential in Sacramento. How many steps back can you take doing that? Few.

The Kings have plenty of young talent (perhaps too much). They do need someone to enforce discipline and give the team direction, but part of that is management showing it won't accept selfish play and that no one is above being moved. Addition by subtraction could be a start and then you figure out who is best to coach your new team.
Cousins knows he has no replacement so he knows he is safe.

If Tyreke is gone and he likely is, Sacramento will just hang onto Cousins even tighter because after those 2 it is a steep drop off to us talking about the Kings "star" player being Marcus Thornton.

Kings have a lot of young talent but they simply are just recognizable names on a bad roster until they get the situation figured out. Not doubting the collective IQ of PSD NBA Forum:D, but if we could figure out that a team needs to have an identity and who needs to be playing then it shouldn't be that hard for professionals who work with the team.

Sportfan
12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Pat Riley works in mysterious ways.:cool:

No.

I dont see Boston or SA wanting a player like him on their team, if they chased guys like that then they wouldn't be as good as they are now.

Hes too young & immature to fit in after being a star on "his" team.

They can make a phone call but I doubt Sacramento is the one calling them begging for a backup PF and a couple first round picks to do a deal.
Ainge would get him right now if a deal was possible

--23--
12-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Boston need him

tapajafri
12-26-2012, 09:33 PM

Well yeah, he had a good relationship with Cousins and was deemed a good mentor for a lot of these young players.....but all that respect goes out the door when he shows that he's not that good of a coach for that team. The players are realizing that Smart isn't that good of a coach. His rotations, his gameplans, X's and O's that I mentioned earlier, etc. Smart just isn't good at it. The mentor stuff effect eventually wears off over time, and then the players start losing the respect for the coach when they realize he's not that good of a coach.

I think Smart would be a good coach on another team, but not these young, immature, inexperienced Kings team.

tapajafri
12-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Wow this entire post from start to finish was damn good and I agree completely with this assessment. This is correct. Like I said earlier, time is running out for the kings. They need to establish some type of hope and more consistent winning, otherwise these star players with loads of potential are going to leave. They're going to end up missing out on some really good players like Tyreke, and theyre also going to miss out on a potential big time player in Cousins. But of course, it starts at the top. The pathetic ownership of the Kings has become infectious in the entire organization. The maloofs just simply don't do anything. Kings need a new coach.... but nothing has happened. Kings need to make moves, but nothing has happened. They're just simply not doing anything, which has resulted in the same bs every year, which also results in players like Cousins getting tired of the crap and taking their frustration out in "immature" ways.

topdog
12-26-2012, 10:26 PM
A change of scenery usually only benefits a player statistically to go to a worse team than they were previously on.

To me Harden isn't any better or different of a player than he was last season or in London. He's just now on a team that is using him as their #1 option but he still would give you 25+ point nights as a 6th Man in OKC playing next to the best scoring PG and best scoring SF in the league.

While players Cousins & Evans would definetly thrive with a change of scenery with a good coach but it still makes more sense for the team to see if they can ever reach their potential in Sacramento. How many steps back can you take doing that? Few.

The Kings haven't taken a step forward in years despite lottery pick after lottery pick. They've come to a point where they need to do something drastic to change the culture and replacing the coach isn't enough. What did a change of scenery do for Lin? What about Rasheed Wallace (joining the Pistons). It's more than just minutes/shots.

Cousins knows he has no replacement so he knows he is safe.

If Tyreke is gone and he likely is, Sacramento will just hang onto Cousins even tighter because after those 2 it is a steep drop off to us talking about the Kings "star" player being Marcus Thornton.

Kings have a lot of young talent but they simply are just recognizable names on a bad roster until they get the situation figured out. Not doubting the collective IQ of PSD NBA Forum:D, but if we could figure out that a team needs to have an identity and who needs to be playing then it shouldn't be that hard for professionals who work with the team.

Thompson and Robinson can man the 4/5 along with Hayes and whoever they acquire in the trade. A couple rumored interested partners are Boston and Detroit which I would assume would mean Sullinger or Drummond coming back.