PDA

View Full Version : Back then vs Now

momoneyyyy
12-26-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm not old enough to have seen Jordan, Magic and Bird and them play. I was just wondering was there as much competition as there is now? Would Jordan have 6 rings if he played with the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo ECT. I dont want this turning into a arguement between Kobe vs Jordan or Lebron vs Jordan. I was just wondering if some of you older fellas would let me know. Also in your opinion how many Championships would Jordan have in this era?

lakers4sho
12-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Jordan's championships came from a time when the league was watered down with expansions.

But that Bulls team would still be competitive now, probably in the top 3 at worst. Same with Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics. Although the decreased pace of today's game might not be advantageous to Lakers/Celtics.

tredigs
12-26-2012, 04:11 AM
If Jordan had the 1990-1998 Bulls over the last 8 years, they would have at least 6 of the championships (obviously he left for the majority of 2 of those seasons, but assuming he did not).

Competition was stiff. There were many centers then better than almost every center now (Dwight in peak form could compete with the elite, but would not be the cream of the crop at the position).

A guy like Melo now is almost identical to the player that Dominique Wilkins was. And Dominique could not compete with the top 5 players at any point in that era. Kobe is obviously essentially Jordan Lite, and Lebron is a more rugged/strong Magic.

Overall the league may actually be better now, I like the way the team defenses have improved, but I actually think the best of the best were a step better 20 years ago. That was the best age of the NBA to date.

waveycrockett
12-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Jordan's championships came from a time when the league was watered down with expansions.

But that Bulls team would still be competitive now, probably in the top 3 at worst. Same with Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics. Although the decreased pace of today's game might not be advantageous to Lakers/Celtics.
Bs

Jordan played during the greatest big man era ever amd arguably greatest PG era too. He revolutionized his position thats why he never played against another SG like him and why TMac, Kobe, Wade,, VC, Lebron etc.. all came after. They all patterened their game after him.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-26-2012, 04:14 AM

This.
I think jordan gets 4 if he played today.

momoneyyyy
12-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Bs

Jordan played during the greatest big man era ever amd arguably greatest PG era too. He revolutionized his position thats why he never played against another SG like him and why TMac, Kobe, Wade,, VC, Lebron etc.. all came after. They all patterened their game after him.

interesting never thought of it like this.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-26-2012, 04:21 AM
If Jordan had the 1990-1998 Bulls over the last 8 years, they would have at least 6 of the championships (obviously he left for the majority of 2 of those seasons, but assuming he did not).

Competition was stiff. There were many centers then better than almost every center now (Dwight in peak form could compete with the elite, but would not be the cream of the crop at the position).

A guy like Melo now is almost identical to the player that Dominique Wilkins was. And Dominique could not compete with the top 5 players at any point in that era. Kobe is obviously essentially Jordan Lite, and Lebron is a more rugged/strong Magic.

Overall the league may actually be better now, I like the way the team defenses have improved, but I actually think the best of the best were a step better 20 years ago. That was the best age of the NBA to date.

What about the early 2000's ?

Chronz
12-26-2012, 04:21 AM

This

lakers4sho
12-26-2012, 04:22 AM
Bs

What's "Bs" about it? Just stating facts. There were more expansion teams during the 90s than any other period.

I would say the early-mid 70s is probably the greatest big man era.

tredigs
12-26-2012, 04:28 AM
What about the early 2000's ?

Tougher. The turn of the millenium was vicious and I think those series could go either way, and I definitely see them losing at least one or two against the peak Spurs/Lakers.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Tougher. The turn of the millenium was vicious and I think those series could go either way, and I definitely see them losing at least one or two against the peak Spurs/Lakers.

Agreed, very reasonable

jerellh528
12-26-2012, 04:44 AM
I honestly think older players are vastly overrated just because its human nature to believe in the stuff of legend.. It's hard to say how many rings Jordan's bulls would have won today, but I would say 2 or 3.

nolin
12-26-2012, 05:11 AM
[QUOTE=momoneyyyy;24863059]I'm not old enough to have seen Jordan, Magic and Bird and them play. I was just wondering was there as much competition as there is now? Would Jordan have 6 rings if he played with the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo ECT. I dont want this turning into a arguement between Kobe vs Jordan or Lebron vs Jordan. I was just wondering if some of you older fellas would let me know. Also in your opinion how many Championships would Jordan have in this era?[/QUOTE

Jordan and Pippen better then any duo in NBA history. Because they played lockdown defense. no question he would have 6 rings.

Becks2307
12-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Again, and this is always my closing Argument with Jordan - Here is who he STOPPED from winning rings.

Malone
Stockton
Kemp
Payton (during 90s)
Shaq and Penny
Reggie Miller
Charles Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Patrick Ewing

...thats not competition?

Jordan made some of these great players seem average in comparison.

An older-prime Jordan today (think 96-99 Jordan) would be like Kobe without the chucking, better defense, better shot selection and the greatest mental strength in the league.

No doubt in my mind that Jordan would dwarf today's competition like he did the 90s.

Jordan would be in Lebron's head lol.

nolin
12-26-2012, 05:31 AM

Watered down? you must be a kid? The league right now is watered down with power forwards and Centers. Dwight Howard isnt in the same league as Hakeem Robinson Ewing Mourning or Shaq. Thats a fact for ya. I dont even know who the best Pf is in the league right now. Thats how weak this position is!karl Malone, Barkley Moses would destroy these pfs right now. This is a guard driven league right now. I think the pg position is the only position that is probably better now top to bottom.

nolin
12-26-2012, 06:36 AM
I honestly think older players are vastly overrated just because its human nature to believe in the stuff of legend.. It's hard to say how many rings Jordan's bulls would have won today, but I would say 2 or 3.

overrated huh? lakers won 3 straight tiltes vs the pacers 76ers and nets

pacers key players
reggie miller age 35
Rik smits age 34
Mark Jackson age 35
chris Mullin age 37
Sam perkins age 38
and jalen rose who was only 27

Theres a reason pacers never made the finals his name is Michael Jordan

Lakers beat a nets team whos Key Players were

Kidd
Richard Jefferson rookie season
Kenyon Martin
Kerry Kittles
keith Van horn

and 76ers who had

Iverson
Mutumbo
John Doe
John Doe
John Doe
and john Doe

that team was just terrible to be honest. All 3 of these team were really. with the old *** pacers probably being the best of them. Guess what im saying is. Lakers are lucky the East was so damn weak in the 2000s

amos1er
12-26-2012, 07:55 AM
This

Really...So who would you start a franchise with if you had the first pick in the draft out of any player in NBA history...knowing what you know today?

RLundi
12-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Mike Joneeeeeeeeeeeessss

king4day
12-26-2012, 11:13 AM
He'd still have titles today but not as many. The league is more top heavy now. Lebron, Kobe, and Durant namely, would have prevented him from running the table as much as his Bulls teams had.

Money_23
12-26-2012, 11:14 AM
the 90s was the greatest era of the centers. But there was a huge drop off in the sg position from MJ to ... idk Drexler? the 2000s is the era of the guards, kobe, wade, A.I., TMAC, list goes on and on. MJ would still be the superior guard in the league but he would face much tougher competition in positional matchups, instead of just 2 teams in the 90s with Reggie and Drexler.