PDA

View Full Version : opinion on rockets...?

AWC713
12-26-2012, 02:56 AM
rockets fan here. was wondering what the sentiment was about the rockets from other fans.

i wasn't expecting much from this team this year. i thought, as the youngest team in the league, that they would be wildly inconsistant.

so far they have the #1 offense in the league, putting up 105 PPG, and that was before tonights 120 point outburst against the bulls.

they put up 121 points to the grizzlies two nights ago (The top defensive team in the league).

overall, all of there players have been playing very well. they have a ton of valauble trade chips. asik is averaging 11 and 11, marcus morris, chandler parsons, and patrick patterson are all affordable young players who have shown they can play at a high level in the nba. they also have donatas motiejunas and terrance jones who havent been able to see the floor this year, despite playing exeptionally well this summer.

so...what are your thoughts on this young rockets squad? lin and harden get a lot of the attention but this team is young and well-rounded.

they're currently the 6th seed at 15-12 although the season is still very early

Becks2307
12-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Awesome team...holy **** is Omer good

QueensG_718
12-26-2012, 02:59 AM
The best up and coming young team in the league.

jam
12-26-2012, 03:01 AM
rockets fan here. was wondering what the sentiment was about the rockets from other fans.

i wasn't expecting much from this team this year. i thought, as the youngest team in the league, that they would be wildly inconsistant.

so far they have the #1 offense in the league, putting up 105 PPG, and that was before tonights 120 point outburst against the bulls.

they put up 121 points to the grizzlies two nights ago (The top defensive team in the league).

overall, all of there players have been playing very well. they have a ton of valauble trade chips. asik is averaging 11 and 11, marcus morris, chandler parsons, and patrick patterson are all affordable young players who have shown they can play at a high level in the nba. they also have donatas motiejunas and terrance jones who havent been able to see the floor this year, despite playing exeptionally well this summer.

so...what are your thoughts on this young rockets squad? lin and harden get a lot of the attention but this team is young and well-rounded.

As I said in another thread, the sky's the limit. Early in the season, they were feasting on and destroying EC teams. Now, they're dishing out the same to the best in the west as well.

The rockets are far under the cap, and will have about $15 mil to spend at season's end, with the current roster intact.

Parsons is a very underrated talent, and TJones has the potential to be a horace grant type of a player in the future.

Baller1
12-26-2012, 03:03 AM
13eard.

JesusWears24
12-26-2012, 03:04 AM
They wont win anything with only Lin and Harden. Best believe dat!

Sadds The Gr8
12-26-2012, 03:07 AM
i thought they'd still suck with Harden...I knew he'd be good but not THIS good. Also didn't expect Asik and Parsons to be so good. Rockets have impressed me.

UPRock
12-26-2012, 03:09 AM
I think they're going to sign Millsap in the offseason, and if they do that and sign good bench players they could be one of the best teams in the West.

jam
They wont win anything with only Lin and Harden. Best believe dat!

Last I checked, the rockets had a 15 man roster. 15 be dat numbah after fo'teen and befo' sixteen.

sagemania
Harden right now mybe the hottest wing player in the league. Dde is averaging 31 points on 61% in the last 8 games and all the while the Rockets have won 7 out of those 8 games including beating the Knicks in NY, Memphis, Bulls and the Lakers.

Lakers4life08
12-26-2012, 03:10 AM
i don't understand,why Mcchale only plays 8 players....damm against chicago bulls they was leading 34 points and he still was playing starters,and only let rookies to play when only 3 minutes was left in 4 quarter...damm,you have T.Jones,D.Motiejunas really good young talented players,why not give them some time,when you team winning 34 points...

KniCks4LiFe
12-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Jeremy Lin is averaging 19 ppg 8 apg in the last 4 contests
Marcus Morris is shooting 49% from 3pt range in the last 10 games (career 36% 3pt shooter)
James Harden #4 in scoring in the NBA
Rockets #1 offense in the NBA
Asik becoming a double double machine
Lin and Harden #2 scoring backcourt in the NBA

They are a dangerous team. In the past week have ran 4 top NBA playoff teams off the court.

Mchale's coaching has even gotten better, so has his substitution patterns.

rocketfuel
12-26-2012, 03:26 AM
If they play at this speed, it'll be hard to keep up. Bring your track shoes.

jam
12-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Lin's not even in game shape yet and he's blowing by everybody already. Deceptive speed my ***. :facepalm:

Asik is cutting to the basket with confidence and DUNKING the ball, rather than putting up a weak layup.

The offense is looking smoother and smoother, and a lot of it is predicated upon the great defense of Lin and Asik, who create easy baskets off of steals and blocks.

Blitzace137
12-26-2012, 03:49 AM
McHale has surprised me I was 100% wrong about him. He's a lot better then Sampson. He's already figured out how to make Lin and Harden combo work. If the Rockets get a guy like Millsap plus a couple more bench players there gonna be a threat.

b@llhog24
12-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Harden is legit. If they had let's say a Ryan Anderson instead of whoever is their 4 man, they'd be so :drool:

John Walls Era
12-26-2012, 03:58 AM
They play the NBA 2k Offense. Shooters everywhere, 2 fast Guards to attack and a Center who doesn't need to do anything outside of defense and easy baskets. Works in a video game, seems to work IRL.

Kashmir13579
12-26-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm Jeremy Lin's biggest advocate.

shep33
12-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Omer imo is the key to a lot of their success. He's been amazing.

c.c.
12-26-2012, 06:11 AM
They will make the playoffs and get eliminated in the Western Conference finals. Sign a Al Jefferson in the off-season, have him play PF while Asik play C. Then win the NBA championship in 2014 #Rocket fan dreams

FOBolous
12-26-2012, 06:15 AM
They will make the playoffs and get eliminated in the Western Conference finals. Sign a Al Jefferson in the off-season, have him play PF while Asik play C. Then win the NBA championship in 2014 #Rocket fan dreams

i prefer Milsap over Jefferson. He's a better fit imo. more mobile and can shoot midrange pretty well. better pick and roll option compared to jefferson and won't clog the lane.

Asik's better
12-26-2012, 06:34 AM
As much as I'm loving how much the rockets are playing now, lets wait until after January to make true judgement on them. 12 road games including 6 sets of back to back games is a tough month.

2-ONE-5
12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
gotta admit that i am becoming sold on Asik, i hated that contract he got and didnt think he was worth it (same goes for Lin). I did expect him to take it to his old team last night tho. If they can find a scoring/post up 4 or 5 to play wish Asik and a pass first PG they will be scary.

mightybosstone
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm loving all the Rockets love I'm reading. But I'm surprised we've gotten this far in and nobody has mentioned the mastermind behind it all... Daryl Morey. He came insanely close in the past to creating a Gasol/Nene frontcourt and could have had Dwight if he wanted him, but this team is actually better than both of those scenarios. He kept acquiring assets and making savvy moves until the moment was right and pulled the trigger on Harden. Between the Chandler Parsons pick, the Lin and Asik signings, the Harden trade and how well he has managed the cap, I'm not sure there is a better GM in the business and he has set this team up to succeed for a decade if he plays his cards right.

I still think the Rockets are an offensive post presence and a good bench wing away from contending, but they have the cap to make that happen in the offseason and a lot of young guys who could potentially make this team incredibly deep. A contender this season? No. But nobody will want to play them in the playoffs, and I could realistically see them getting past the first round without making a single deal the rest of the season.

JiffyMix88
12-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Last I checked, the rockets had a 15 man roster. 15 be dat numbah after fo'teen and befo' sixteen.

Best believe that!

Swashcuff
12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Well essentially the 2nd paragraph from MBT's post. I think they are a legit two way PF away from being contenders. Harden and Lin are growing together and the team's offense is benefiting greatly. Chandler Parsons has surprised the **** out of me and is really coming into his own as a player.

If they were to get someone like Paul Millsap this off season or via trade and keep their 4 best starters along with it they'd be a force for years to come. Lin isn't anything special but he's solid and he's getting better. They have the potential to be the best offensive team in the game and with Asik patrolling they can legitimately become a top 10 (currently 18th behind the Knicks and Lakers who have the last two DPOY winners patrolling their paints) or so defensive team with a couple moves here or there.

My opinion on the Rockets. They are a team going in the right direction and are just a couple moves away from being considered among the elite.

sep11ie
12-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Entire different posts about the Rox than we were seeing only a few short weeks ago...

CluTcH_c1tY
12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
A young exciting team, yet 3/4 of Houstonians cant even see them on tv. Yesterday was the 2nd game ive watched all season. Love me some Asik, i would love to see Al Jefferson in the lineup or a Bargnani type PF in the lineup.

Baller1
12-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm loving all the Rockets love I'm reading. But I'm surprised we've gotten this far in and nobody has mentioned the mastermind behind it all... Daryl Morey. He came insanely close in the past to creating a Gasol/Nene frontcourt and could have had Dwight if he wanted him, but this team is actually better than both of those scenarios. He kept acquiring assets and making savvy moves until the moment was right and pulled the trigger on Harden. Between the Chandler Parsons pick, the Lin and Asik signings, the Harden trade and how well he has managed the cap, I'm not sure there is a better GM in the business and he has set this team up to succeed for a decade if he plays his cards right.

I still think the Rockets are an offensive post presence and a good bench wing away from contending, but they have the cap to make that happen in the offseason and a lot of young guys who could potentially make this team incredibly deep. A contender this season? No. But nobody will want to play them in the playoffs, and I could realistically see them getting past the first round without making a single deal the rest of the season.

Morey has been impressive, but he hasn't surpassed the likes of Buford and Presti yet. Those two are still the best there is.

ChiSox219
12-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Everyone is sleeping on Patrick Patterson. He's going to be a very good two way PF with a 3ball, those are very rare. Not sure how well his post game will develop but it's not essential at the pace Houston plays. Then they have Morris, Jones, Montiejunas, and White waiting to develop. Not worth the money to spend on non-elite players like Milsap.

mightybosstone
12-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Everyone is sleeping on Patrick Patterson. He's going to be a very good two way PF with a 3ball, those are very rare. Not sure how well his post game will develop but it's not essential at the pace Houston plays. Then they have Morris, Jones, Montiejunas, and White waiting to develop. Not worth the money to spend on non-elite players like Milsap.

Patterson's problem is that he can't rebound to save his life and he's wildly inconsistent offensively. Millsap is a huge upgrade over him, and the team is actually playing better with Marcus Morris starting with him out.

ChiSox219
12-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Patterson's problem is that he can't rebound to save his life and he's wildly inconsistent offensively. Millsap is a huge upgrade over him, and the team is actually playing better with Marcus Morris starting with him out.

Patterson's rebounding is fine. He's inconsistent but that's what most young players are, really I'd like to see him get to the line a bit more because he's got the athleticism to do so.

The money Milsap gets is going to be too much and I can't see Morey wasting his cap space like that. I'm not sure who he'll target but right now the biggest key to the Rockets succeeding is Jeremy Lin.

king4day
12-26-2012, 02:00 PM
The OP also forgot to mention cap space. Imagine they convinced Howard to play there? Then you add to that the ability to acquire another top player or two with their assets. They have a bright future if they play their cards right.

mightybosstone
12-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Patterson's rebounding is fine. He's inconsistent but that's what most young players are, really I'd like to see him get to the line a bit more because he's got the athleticism to do so.
Not a problem? He's averaging 5.8 rebounds per 36 minutes. That's inexcusable for a starting PF. He doesn't box out well or keep big bodies out of the paint and it leads to a lot of second chance opportunities for opposing teams. He's got a good 2 inches on Morris, but Morris is still better on the glass.

The money Milsap gets is going to be too much and I can't see Morey wasting his cap space like that. I'm not sure who he'll target but right now the biggest key to the Rockets succeeding is Jeremy Lin.
It depends on the amount Millsap gets, but I don't see it as a waste. He's superior at nearly every single aspect of the game to Patterson and Morris other than 3-point range. I'd much rather have him than Josh Smith and I don't think Jefferson is a good fit at the 4.

ChiSox219
12-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Not a problem? He's averaging 5.8 rebounds per 36 minutes. That's inexcusable for a starting PF. He doesn't box out well or keep big bodies out of the paint and it leads to a lot of second chance opportunities for opposing teams. He's got a good 2 inches on Morris, but Morris is still better on the glass.

Sir, the Rockets are 3rd in defensive rebounding percentage and Patterson's numbers are low due in part to McHale's tranisition philosophy as well as playing with Asik. Don't get too caught up in what a certain position is supposed to do. If the Rockets were a poor rebounding team and Patterson had an established history of being soft then I would be concerned.

It depends on the amount Millsap gets, but I don't see it as a waste. He's superior at nearly every single aspect of the game to Patterson and Morris other than 3-point range. I'd much rather have him than Josh Smith and I don't think Jefferson is a good fit at the 4.

I'm biased, I don't think Millsap is as good as most people seem to think. I also think Patterson is going to grow into the better player. Besides that, you have 3 PF's on 4 year rookie deals that all possess tremendous potential. A trade for an elite player is one thing, but spending money on a third tier PF doesn't make sense.

What kind of salary do you expect Millsap to earn?

sep11ie
12-26-2012, 02:13 PM
PatPat is on the Bargs/Lopez level of rebounding. I don't think he fits this system at all. Trade gim to Orlando and get JJ and make my dreams come true please.

emman03
12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
rockets is my 2nd favorite team if they can get at least a scoring rebounding and everything in pf position they will be at least a 4-8 seeded playoff team but if they can get athletic sf along that pf they are pretty scary 2 person coming in my mind is milsap and chandler (denver player) milsap is fit in their system he can run and he is still young and the guys rockets now can be a good bench player and in the end they can be the young core to replace the starters now imagine

lin/douglas
harden/cook or jj redick (via trade or FA)
chandler/parsons
milsap/morris
asik/motiejunas

they cant compete if they stock in the young talents harden needs a slightly veteran players to compete on the high level

mightybosstone
12-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Sir, the Rockets are 3rd in defensive rebounding percentage and Patterson's numbers are low due in part to McHale's tranisition philosophy as well as playing with Asik. Don't get too caught up in what a certain position is supposed to do. If the Rockets were a poor rebounding team and Patterson had an established history of being soft then I would be concerned.
And the fact that the Rockets are such a good rebounding team in spite of Pattersons' poor work on the glass should be especially concerning. That means they're rebounding well in spite of him not because of him. He was 63 out of 70 PFs last season in defensive rebound rate. Does that sound like a starter to you?

I'm biased, I don't think Millsap is as good as most people seem to think. I also think Patterson is going to grow into the better player. Besides that, you have 3 PF's on 4 year rookie deals that all possess tremendous potential. A trade for an elite player is one thing, but spending money on a third tier PF doesn't make sense.

What kind of salary do you expect Millsap to earn?
I don't think Millsap is elite, but I think he's better than third tier and easily worth a $10-12 million a year contract. If I'm Morey, I'd be willing to offer four years, $40-50 million. If they can't get Howard or Paul in free agency and a trade for Love is out of the question, Millsap is the next best option.

I do think the Rockets have some talented bigs already on the roster, but we have yet to see what they're really capable of. If Morey feels like Millsap is better than the ceiling of Morris, Motiejunas or Jones, than he should sign him.

ChiSox219
12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
And the fact that the Rockets are such a good rebounding team in spite of Pattersons' poor work on the glass should be especially concerning. That means they're rebounding well in spite of him not because of him. He was 63 out of 70 PFs last season in defensive rebound rate. Does that sound like a starter to you?

Defensive rebounding on individual level is horribly overrated by fans and probably many in the league. Is the hope that you add a better defensive rebounder and go from #3 to 1? Seriously of all the things Patterson needs to improve on, rebounding is near the bottom of the list.

I don't think Millsap is elite, but I think he's better than third tier and easily worth a $10-12 million a year contract. If I'm Morey, I'd be willing to offer four years, $40-50 million. If they can't get Howard or Paul in free agency and a trade for Love is out of the question, Millsap is the next best option.

I do think the Rockets have some talented bigs already on the roster, but we have yet to see what they're really capable of. If Morey feels like Millsap is better than the ceiling of Morris, Motiejunas or Jones, than he should sign him.

Ibaka got $12m and he's better and younger than Millsap so I think that would be high. $10m is probably market value but there's probably better ways for Houston to spend their cap space.

I agree if Morey doesn't like any of his bigs than Millsap becomes an option.

sep11ie
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Yea, I don't think Ibaka was allowed to make more than that though.

ChiSox219
12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Yea, I don't think Ibaka was allowed to make more than that though.

He signed for less than the $13.6m maximum for a player of his experience.

Chronz
12-26-2012, 02:52 PM
PatPat is on the Bargs/Lopez level of rebounding. I don't think he fits this system at all. Trade gim to Orlando and get JJ and make my dreams come true please.

jj? :eyebrow:

Chill_Will_24
12-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Trade for Cousins with all the spare young guys and you guys might have the most dominant C/PF combo in the league and you pair that with Lin and Harden and wow...

I might be turning into a Rockets fan. Not even kidding. Wish i could get more of their games here in the NY area

WhiteSoxGod
12-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Well I think the Rockets have a great foundation. I think next year we can take a HUGE leap. As I have told you in the Rockets forum, I think Millsap is a must-add player for us.

Here is my plan for the Rockets next year that I think can make us serious contenders:

First, I think next year the cap will go up slightly as it hasn't in 3 years. I expect a cap of 60.2 million. (this is based on the revenue formula used to calculate the cap and the expected revenue of this season)

I think the Rockets keep Douglas but we're going to trade Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris. That will clear $5.5 million. That will put us roughly around $32.5 million. That will give us about $27.5 million.

Now remember contracts always escalate as the years pass, where the 1st year is the cheapest year. So I believe we can sign a max deal (Chris Paul, Josh smith, ect) and the first year will cost us $13,668,750 and that is based off Harden's deal.

After signing the Max deal this will then leave the Rockets about $13.831 million. We use that to sign Paul Millsap. His first year might come in around $9.5 million based on a $12 million dollar annual salary.

That would leave the Rockets slightly under the cap: $4.331 million. We would then get 2 exceptions: Non-Taxpayers of about $5 million and the Salary Cap (for those under) of about $2.335 million.

We use the rest of the cap money to sign JJ Redick. We can use that money or the non-taxpayers exception. We then can use money and/or the remaining exceptions for small fillers (such as Delfino) and a draft pick.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

You could have the Rockets with potential lineups of:

PG: Chris Paul / Jeremy Lin / Toney Douglas
SG: James Harden / JJ Redick /
SF: Chandler Parsons / Carlos Delfino
PF: Paul Millsap / Donatas Motiejunas / Terrence Jones
C: Omer Asik / Greg Smith / Cole Aldrich

Paul and Harden would be the best back court in the NBA. We might have the best 1-2-3 PGs in the NBA. The bench would be killer with Lin driving in kicking out to Redick or Delfino.

OR

PG: Jeremy Lin / Toney Douglas / Scott Machado
SG: James Harden / JJ Redick
SF: Josh Smith / Chandler Parsons

Our defense would be the best in the nba. We could still run like we do now with Lin, Harden, and Smith. Then Parsons would be the 6th man of the year. Redick is still there adding 3's and good minutes.

Remember the Rockets are the Youngest team in the league right now.

blahblahyoutoo
12-26-2012, 04:09 PM
they're pretty good, except for the lin guy.

Hawkeye15
12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
they are on fire right now. They will have up's and downs all year, they are for sure on an up right now.

blahblahyoutoo
12-26-2012, 04:11 PM
i don't understand,why Mcchale only plays 8 players....damm against chicago bulls they was leading 34 points and he still was playing starters,and only let rookies to play when only 3 minutes was left in 4 quarter...damm,you have T.Jones,D.Motiejunas really good young talented players,why not give them some time,when you team winning 34 points...

they were leading.
they is plural, therefore you must use the rules of subject-verb agreement that we all learned in 1st grade, or in everyday speech.

jman94
12-26-2012, 04:15 PM
rockets are a darkhorse in the west. i could see them shocking some people if they make the playoffs

John Walls Era
12-26-2012, 04:16 PM
They have an explosive backcourt.

WhiteSoxGod
12-26-2012, 04:17 PM
they're pretty good, except for the lin guy.

Lin is basically a Rookie who has already showed his promise on the court. He has 2 things you LOVE to have in a point guard, NBA IQ and natural intelligence. He will continue to improve as the natural progression of NBA players, especially point guards, go.

In the first scenario, Lin gets to be the one with ball in his hands on the 2nd unit. Better yet he gets to feast on backup point guards. He has 2 3-point shooters on the same unit to kick out to. He excels at the isolation and that would be perfect.

The second, Lin gets to run like he does now. The Rockets will have the best spacing in the NBA allowing both Harden and Lin to attack the rim. Josh Smith's athleticism will allow Lin to be flexible in his game while building his repertoire. He will still have Harden and also Millsap.

ChiSox219
12-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Well I think the Rockets have a great foundation. I think next year we can take a HUGE leap. As I have told you in the Rockets forum, I think Millsap is a must-add player for us.

Here is my plan for the Rockets next year that I think can make us serious contenders:

First, I think next year the cap will go up slightly as it hasn't in 3 years. I expect a cap of 60.2 million. (this is based on the revenue formula used to calculate the cap and the expected revenue of this season)

I think the Rockets keep Douglas but we're going to trade Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris. That will clear $5.5 million. That will put us roughly around $32.5 million. That will give us about $27.5 million.

Now remember contracts always escalate as the years pass, where the 1st year is the cheapest year. So I believe we can sign a max deal (Chris Paul, Josh smith, ect) and the first year will cost us $13,668,750 and that is based off Harden's deal.

After signing the Max deal this will then leave the Rockets about $13.831 million. We use that to sign Paul Millsap. His first year might come in around $9.5 million based on a $12 million dollar annual salary.

That would leave the Rockets slightly under the cap: $4.331 million. We would then get 2 exceptions: Non-Taxpayers of about $5 million and the Salary Cap (for those under) of about $2.335 million.

We use the rest of the cap money to sign JJ Redick. We can use that money or the non-taxpayers exception. We then can use money and/or the remaining exceptions for small fillers (such as Delfino) and a draft pick.

Paul and Harden would be the best back court in the NBA. We might have the best 1-2-3 PGs in the NBA. The bench would be killer with Lin driving in kicking out to Redick or Delfino.

OR

Our defense would be the best in the nba. We could still run like we do now with Lin, Harden, and Smith. Then Parsons would be the 6th man of the year. Redick is still there adding 3's and good minutes.

Chris Paul's first year max would've been $16,402,500 this year because he's played 7-9 years.

WhiteSoxGod
12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Chris Paul's first year max would've been $16,402,500 this year because he's played 7-9 years.

Just means Rockets would have to use one of the exceptions on Delfino instead of signing him outright. Maybe go over the cap but we're not planning any sign and trades if we don't on Paul, Millsap, or Josh Smith..

Mr.SmackYoMama
12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Last I checked, the rockets had a 15 man roster. 15 be dat numbah after fo'teen and befo' sixteen. People will post anything for attention huh??? Attention be dat thing you wish fo befo you open your mouth n respect be dat thang you never get.

Sly Guy
12-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I think their offense greatly benefits from harden, he's playing the legit #1 guy, but he also moves the ball. Love his game, love him for this team too.

WhiteSoxGod
12-26-2012, 05:09 PM
OK so forgot Paul was in 7th year. It changes his max. So here are the reflected changes:

Now remember contracts always escalate as the years pass, where the 1st year is the cheapest year. So I believe we can sign a max deal (Chris Paul, Josh smith, ect) and the first year will cost us $17,168,750 and that is based off the salary cap and Paul's 7th year (if it's Chris Paul) deal.

After signing the Max deal this will then leave the Rockets about $10.331 million. We use that to sign Paul Millsap. His first year might come in around $9.5 million based on a $12 million dollar annual salary.

That would leave the Rockets slightly under the cap: Around $900,000 . We would then get 2 exceptions: Non-Taxpayers of about $5 million and the Salary Cap Exception (for those under) of about $2.335 million.

We would have to use the Non-Taxpayer Exception on Redick. We then can use the remaining exceptions for small fillers (such as Delfino) and a draft pick.

OR

AWC713
12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
OK so forgot Paul was in 7th year. It changes his max. So here are the reflected changes:

Now remember contracts always escalate as the years pass, where the 1st year is the cheapest year. So I believe we can sign a max deal (Chris Paul, Josh smith, ect) and the first year will cost us $17,168,750 and that is based off the salary cap and Paul's 7th year (if it's Chris Paul) deal.

After signing the Max deal this will then leave the Rockets about $10.331 million. We use that to sign Paul Millsap. His first year might come in around $9.5 million based on a $12 million dollar annual salary.

That would leave the Rockets slightly under the cap: Around $900,000 . We would then get 2 exceptions: Non-Taxpayers of about $5 million and the Salary Cap Exception (for those under) of about $2.335 million.

We would have to use the Non-Taxpayer Exception on Redick. We then can use the remaining exceptions for small fillers (such as Delfino) and a draft pick.

OR

i dont think you can assume paul will do anything but stay with the clippers. especially with the way their team is playing and the way they have meshed. you have to assume he is happy there and wont leave to come to houston.

would it be nice if he came to the rockets? sure. but i really dont see that happening.

also, in regards to your sig, i respect jabari parker and coach k but its all about crean and the hoosiers! see you guys in march

RyanStorm
12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Utah did beat Houston, Hardin left about half way through at Energy. Then Houston won us in Texas with Hardin playing the whole time. We both won by a large enough margin, and the series is tied 1-1.

Hardin and Lin can win games, but to beat the real teams like LAC, LAL, OKC and Memphis your gonna be able to fight fire with fire, all star vs all star. The question is, do you think your two are better than their two?

Utah has an "all star" bench, which wins us games. We don't have all stars like you, so its a group effort, which is either a great thing or a terrible thing. Hardin and Lin are young and if they can put up huge numbers every night, you will win games, but it won't be as consistent, especially on the road.

However, the danger is, what if they don't put up enough numbers? Like when you didn't have Hardin who only got 9 points in Utah's win! The loss of either one is a devastating blow. I think Houston has two amazing players worth building the franchise on. I have said in other places that, you give these two guys a couple years and were talking full blown All Stars. You need to fill out the roster with guys who can build around these two, so by next year, you can be a turn around like Golden State, who for some reason is doing great.

You aren't doing amazing, but your not doing terrible. I think everyone was expecting a definite playoff team from your two guys, but with such a tough west coast, your gonna need more than just Hardin and Lin to get past 1st round(or into it). They might get you in the Playoffs, but your in a tough division with two other teams who are doing great so no division title this year. So your gonna have to hope you do good enough to make the bottom 4.

I don't expect Houston to be a playoff team, they might, like how utah barley slipped in last year. I think Houston will be like Utah last year, who had talent, but wasn't really a threat. So by this time next year, I expect Houston to literally rocket up past the average team. I just don't know how your gonna fill out your roster with no super trade value.

If you could sign Al and Paul from us, you would be set.

Iron24th
12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
They have a promising team, a more dominant C could make them contenders.

RyanStorm
12-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah having a .500 at this point, is not gonna be good enough for a playoff spot. Historically you could get in the last spots, but I am guessing at this rate there will be a few teams with .500 who won't make the playoffs, probably from tie breakers.

topdog
12-26-2012, 07:37 PM
They certainly have surprised me - I expected them to be fighting for 8th and a .500 record at best. We'll see if things even out as the season goes on.

I do feel like it's a bit of a mistake not to get guys like Machado, Montiejunas and Jones more burn (and I've heard that the Rockets generally wait to play their rookies). Sort of the same thing with the Jazz and Favors/Kanter. Neither team has much of a chance to make noise once their in the playoffs so why not take a couple hits to the win column and be better for next year?

Verbal Christ
12-26-2012, 09:33 PM
they're doing what a young team is supposed to do .. run and be the most athletic on the court. with that however comes those 'young' problems. they lead the league in turnovers per game, and they are in the bottom 5-10 defensively. upside is through the roof considering all the variables with cap space, marketable players etc... player development on the other hand is a peeve of mine. mchale is stubborn with his guys, and as one guy said earlier in this very thread, that even in huge blowouts mchale wont send in the kids to play in the sandbox. he may have his PF on the roster in terrance jones or donuts motijunas, instead of overspending on marginal,household players. fun to watch, and thats all i really wanted to start the season, i dont think anyone expected a long run out of them, but i'll tell you that if they figure out how to play defense this team wont be an easy out in the 1st round.

rocketfuel
12-27-2012, 04:22 AM
Morey should and probably would be patient and avoid overspending on a guy like Milsap. To get them to the next level, they'd need a stud big man, not just a Milsap level player.... in fact, they'd be better off making the smart money conscious value deals that Morey has been making. The speed at which this team plays and the potential for players like Lin, Parsons or Asik to explode to go with Harden's consistent big games will make them dangerous if they go on a sudden hot streak.

Guppyfighter
12-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Morey should and probably would be patient and avoid overspending on a guy like Milsap. To get them to the next level, they'd need a stud big man, not just a Milsap level player.... in fact, they'd be better off making the smart money conscious value deals that Morey has been making. The speed at which this team plays and the potential for players like Lin, Parsons or Asik to explode to go with Harden's consistent big games will make them dangerous if they go on a sudden hot streak.

I am going to go ahead and say this. Whatever Morey does is probably better than what you think they should do.

Morey is a flat out genius.

rocketfuel
12-27-2012, 04:33 AM
That's why I didn't put any suggestions. No one saw the Harden deal coming.

rocketfuel
12-27-2012, 04:34 AM
And I think the Asik, Lin and Parson moves were also good because they all fit the balls to the wall style they want to play. Whoever they bring in as a power forward will have to be able to play at that speed. No old man flat footers.

Guppyfighter
12-27-2012, 04:36 AM
Not only are they already super high in the simple rating system, but they are the youngest team in the NBA.

Rockets are awesome.

RyanStorm
12-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Quote(why not take a couple hits to the win column and be better for next year?)
I wish the Jazz would do this already. I spend every week demanding more play time for guys like Burks and Evans. Like Houston, you have potential starters who need time to grow. Without getting minutes continually, they will end up like Burks who is a first rounder, but isn't getting expected minutes. Look at Sacremento, its very hard to play when you don't know if your even gonna play.

Houston can be in the top 8, and I was beggining to think they were gonna take the 6th spot for sure. But this is a long season, and like I have said one hiccup can mean disaster. Which means they should be more concerned with team development, than pushing their starters to wins, just so they "might" make the the bottom 4 and face a top tier experienced team in a blowout 1st round.(just like the Jazz did last year).

I think Paul is a great player for the Houston, but for the money I guess its your call. Al is over paid, but he is worth it if you can't get anyone else to your team. Houston shouldn't have a problem attracting guys who want to race for the ring. Harden and Lin are great recruitment posters.

I could see guys like Ray Allen going to Houston to be under paid so that they can get a ring.
This year just has way to many unexpected great teams, and only a very few who are unexpectedly sucking it up under .500. I wish Houston and Utah would get their eyes off this years playoff run, and think about next year. Thinking about next year doesn't mean you suck and your season is blown. It means your team isnt set in stone like Spurs, Lakers, NY, or Miami. The only reason you should look at this years playoffs, IF, and only IF you made it last year.
Houston didn't make it last year with a .500 same with Suns. You didn't make it the year before with a .500.

Houston is looking at another .500, and there likely to be squeezed out by the huge number of .500 teams wanting in! However if Lakers and Dallas keep sucking it up, only two teams won't make it. Right now that team is Utah and Minnesota. If you think these four teams won't fight you for your spot, think again.

fredv
12-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Gut feeling here... Kevin Love in Houston, either via a trade (short term) or by signing a contract here (long term).

Harden and him seem to be really good friends and Harden also said "I have started the recruitment process" to bring another superstar in Houston (not Love specifically). He knows how the league works, and he's ready to pitch the team and city to other players.
Just a gut feeling that he'll end up here somehow. Team USA is where it all starts...

Fear The BeardS (http://rise24.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/kevin-love-scores-to-lead-team-usa-over-tunisia.jpg)

The team probably won't look like this in the future (personally I'm no Lin fan, outside of the $$$ and exposure he gives the team), but imagine:

Lin (24y. old)
Harden (23y. old)
Parsons (24y. old)
Love (24y. old)
Asik (26. old), though (132y. old in Turkish calendar)

That is a solid, solid starting 5. Also an average of 24.2 years old...

reffahead
12-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Shake the haters of houston. You remind me of the hawks except your zenith is slightly higher than ours as currently constructed. We need you guys to make the playoffs for the 15th or 16th pick.

We own your 2nd round as well, ironic. Anyhow, an athletic 4 forward is all that's missing from contending in the West. Damn shame you guys took a chance on the whack job instead of Zeller.

effen5
12-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Rockets are a damn good team. I'm still not sold on Lin being your PG because I don't think you can ever win a title with Lin (prove me wrong) but you guys have been impressive thus far.

PHX2daDEATH
12-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Fun to watch from what I've seen in highlights and then on Christmas day..I envy you guys, for getting Harden was really crossing my fingers he'd end up on the Suns.. but like 94 and 95 i was left heartbroken..

torocan
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
The Rockets are shaping up to be a pretty scary dark horse play off team.

16-12 and just stole a game from Minnesota on a back to back in Minnesota. 5th win in a row after blowing out Memphis, NYK, Phillie, and Chicago.

We'll see what they're really made of this weekend. They're heading into games @SAS and vs OKC on nights 3/4 of a 4 in 5. Tough hill to climb for any team, let alone this young squad.

Still, they're solidly in the play off mix now. They're nowhere near contender material, but they definitely have serious upside and an all star PF could push them over the top. It's mind boggling how fast this team is finding their footing considering their youth (24), inexperience (1.3 years NBA experience on average), and how many new players they have (13).

Either way, they'll be in the play offs next year and barring serious changes should be a legitimate play off team for years to come.

And they didn't even tank. :clap:

Jahari Kavi
12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
all we need is Kevin Love to take that next step.........

ManRam
12-27-2012, 11:11 AM
My opinion on the Rockets is that James Harden is a stud.

A good two-way big man (PF) away from being a really really good team.

He115ing
12-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Fear the beard!!! That is all I have to say.

Snakeyestx
12-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I see the same message several times and tend to agree...

I'd like to see Kevin love in Red and White. He's clearly not happy in Minnesota, and with K-Mac's connections there, it seems feasible.

The ONLY issue is, how much would Houston have to give up for him?

WhiteSoxGod
12-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I see the same message several times and tend to agree...

I'd like to see Kevin love in Red and White. He's clearly not happy in Minnesota, and with K-Mac's connections there, it seems feasible.

The ONLY issue is, how much would Houston have to give up for him?

Minnesota would want a ton for him. If he were to come to Houston it would probably have to be as a free agent.

The Rockets have a lot of potential. They're the youngest team in the NBA, have a legitimate superstar in James Harden, a legitimate Big Man in Omer Asik, enough money to sign another max free agent this off-season, and enough money left after that to sign an $11-$12 million per year player.

todu82
12-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Really good team. Not quite up there with the Big 3 teams in the West (Spurs, Thunder and Clippers) but they're in that next tier of teams in the West.

WhiteSoxGod
12-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Really good team. Not quite up there with the Big 3 teams in the West (Spurs, Thunder and Clippers) but they're in that next tier of teams in the West.

That's one hell of an accomplishment after people had been hating on Daryl Morey all off-season.

jam
12-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Love + Rockets = 'Ship.

RyanStorm
12-27-2012, 10:43 PM
There are so many great players being put into FA this year. I mean between Utah and Dallas, half there team will potentially be emptied out and there is probably a couple other teams who will also have trim.

I wouldn't mind having Lin come be Utah's PG. Maybe Utah can send Millsap to Minn, and Minn send's you Love. Hell I wouldn't mind Rubio neither.

You got to get wins, especially when your schedule is light. Houston seems to be getting wins and will continue to get them. I know Utah beat them, but Harden was out at Energy, then you beat us in Houston(that was a performance that I remember by Harden).

chipurmunki
12-28-2012, 01:57 AM
houston's annoying. their jerseys are fugly, their logos are fugly... i've never had a nice thing to say about them.

SouthSideRookie
12-28-2012, 02:36 AM
houston's annoying. their jerseys are fugly, their logos are fugly... i've never had a nice thing to say about them.

Jazz and Raider fan, YIKES!

I'd hate life too.

WhiteSoxGod
12-28-2012, 06:48 PM

LOL Yeah if I was a Raiders/Jazz fan I'd be pissed too. U mad yo?

mzgrizz
12-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Houston is rocking. Props to that young team

sagemania
12-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Despite losing, another very encouraging game by the Rockets. Their future is very bright.

GiantsSwaGG
12-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Not impressed

torocan
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
54 points by the Rockets back court. 78 points by Parsons, Lin and Harden.

The put up 116 on the Spurs... in Regulation!

The Spurs had to literally shoot Lights OUT (50% - 12/24 from behind the arc) and needed crazy 3 point scoring from Danny Green (7/9 - .714) and Manu Ginobli (5/9 - .583) to put this game away.

If the Rockets can keep this up, they'll be a tough out in the Play Offs, and quite possible a seriously dangerous team for the foreseeable future.

And they Still have room for a MAX player contract. :speechless:

kdspurman
12-29-2012, 12:22 PM
54 points by the Rockets back court. 78 points by Parsons, Lin and Harden.

The put up 116 on the Spurs... in Regulation!

The Spurs had to literally shoot Lights OUT (50% - 12/24 from behind the arc) and needed crazy 3 point scoring from Danny Green (7/9 - .714) and Manu Ginobli (5/9 - .583) to put this game away.

If the Rockets can keep this up, they'll be a tough out in the Play Offs, and quite possible a seriously dangerous team for the foreseeable future.

And they Still have room for a MAX player contract. :speechless:

That was a crazy game. And not totally uncommon for Green he has been shooting the ball insanely good lately. The the team in general having a very good 3 point shooting team even having a 20/30 from 3 recently vs Dallas.

I think if they can get another big who can get them consistent post scoring that would be the perfect fit. They've got a ton of weapons

Verbal Christ
12-29-2012, 03:54 PM
its just those youngster problems. turnovers and defensive intensity. once these guys get a little sand in their pants, hit the weight room and understand the defensive game plan they will be a really nice squad. throw in either LA, Love, or Millsap into the equation and i'd run them out there against any team and like my chances.

Tony_Starks
12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Well coached, balanced team with a legit go to guy. Playoffs, make it a intersting series whoever they play but still a first round KO......

eddyv7
12-29-2012, 04:28 PM
i think they'll get no more than the 8th or 7th seed and get swepted due to inexperience

BKLYNpigeon
12-29-2012, 04:33 PM
9th or 10th in the West.

WhiteSoxGod
12-29-2012, 06:27 PM
We need a Great PF, one that can rebound well and help space the floor.

CityofTreez
12-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Great young team in a strong competitive conference. Love Harden, Parsons, Patterson, and Lin as the team grows together.

Morey may have had the best offseason, but they need another 2-3 years until they can successfully collide against the Thunder, and for the Spurs to age. That developing stage with their youth will strongly emerge once they all figure it out. Other than that, I see them being a sleeper team in the playoffs because they are still a mystery to their opponents in terms of preparation against them.

Everymanalion
12-29-2012, 06:44 PM
1st round exit.

Tony_Starks
12-29-2012, 07:19 PM
We need a Great PF, one that can rebound well and help space the floor.

I actually think Cousins would be a good look for them. McHale is a no nonsense type guy with a big man resume. Plus a player like Harden would have no problem checking him if he's messing up......

CityofTreez
12-29-2012, 07:27 PM
I actually think Cousins would be a good look for them. McHale is a no nonsense type guy with a big man resume. Plus a player like Harden would have no problem checking him if he's messing up......

Funny post. No nonsense coach, and a nonsense player in Cousins sounds pretty hilarious. But, if Cousins does land in Houston, he'd have less pressure to succeed (in contrast to what he is experiencing in Sac).

Not gonna lie though, he'd be great on the Rockets if that were to happen.

WhiteSoxGod
12-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Oh no doubt the problem is what would we give up. The Rockets have no pick this year and only a handful of prospects.

We won't get a star PF until the off-season most likely.

KniCks4LiFe
12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Oh no doubt the problem is what would we give up. The Rockets have no pick this year and only a handful of prospects.

We won't get a star PF until the off-season most likely.

It starts w/ Patterson and Monti and ends w/ Jones and Machado. Bulk package giving them a young bench and assets to deal some of their youth somewhere else for veteran pieces to balance out their roster. For SAC to know teams are saying, oh well I'll wait for the offseason and get a PF, they have to act fast.

2-ONE-5
12-29-2012, 10:41 PM
cant defend for their life. prob wont even make the playoffs.

MrfadeawayJB
12-29-2012, 11:40 PM
they can win regular season games but we will have to see if they can be consistent

BaddNewz
12-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Not elite but damn good. Scary playoff match up

torocan
12-30-2012, 12:25 AM
I think folks forget this team is still in rebuilding mode.

The bench is weak as heck, and they really need a great player for the 4.

Right now they're running mostly on the talent of the main 4... Harden, Parsons, Asik and Lin. After that it's pretty much rookies/sophomores and dodgy players.

Smith and Morris look like they're going to be keepers. Patterson... kind of Meh. Delfino seems to be very streaky. Toney Douglas... good perimeter shooter, not so good a ball handler or facilitator.

After that you're talking some very raw players like Aldrich, Cook, Montejunas, Machado, etc. They still have a ton of work to do in terms of filling out their roster.

That they're doing this well in spite of having a half-baked team is definitely scary.

Faneik
12-30-2012, 12:38 AM
asik is making his money worth

sagemania
12-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Good reality check. This game exposed the teams glaring weaknesses against the best defensive team in the league.In the long run this wil help this young team.

torocan
12-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Good reality check. This game exposed the teams glaring weaknesses against the best defensive team in the league.In the long run this wil help this young team.

Or it shows that playing a back to back against the Spurs and OKC for the last 2 games of a 4 in 5 means results in crappy play. Thank the schedule makers for that one.

If I recall correctly, the last time the Spurs had a back to back of a 4 in 5 they sat ALL their starters...

I'll be a lot more interested to see how they do when they play on February 20th. They'll both be well rested for that game.

HowFit
12-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Young and explosive but still needing a PF to be a threat to any teams...

Vinny642
12-30-2012, 03:11 PM
White is a little *** baby for real, I feel bad for the Rockets

WhiteSoxGod
01-01-2013, 04:25 AM
We don't need White. We are playing well right now. We really attacked the defense of Atlanta. And Atlanta is a good defensive team.