PDA

View Full Version : The Raptors shamelessly pump up Calderon's assists

Chronz
12-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Home: 10.7 Assists, 2.0 t.o. (Per36:11.2AST --- 2.1 t.o.)
Road: 5.1 Assists, 1.8 t.o. (Per36:7.4AST --- 2.6 t.o.)

Now I admit I dont catch too many Raptor games but typically these kind of differences raise my suspicion. So I decided to catch up on a few of their recent games, noticing Calderons beastly assists numbers. Is it just me or have the scorekeepers been really generous to Calderon lately?

Its early in the season but if these numbers continue, those guys should get axed. Can a T-dot fan set me straight, what am I missing? Did he play more SG on the road or something, its not just the increased minutes so spare that excuse. From what Ive seen(and I will keep digging), its a perfect storm of a player stepping it up abit of late but also lazy score keeping.

ChickenSouvlaki
12-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I think the raps are just better at home

AnthonyTyrael
12-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Ask his mates why they keep missing.

kenzo400
12-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Now I admit I dont catch too many Raptor games but typically these kind of differences raise my suspicion. So I decided to catch up on a few of their recent games, noticing Calderons beastly assists numbers. Is it just me or have the scorekeepers been really generous to Calderon lately?

Its early in the season but if these numbers continue, those guys should get axed. Can a T-dot fan set me straight, what am I missing? Did he play more SG on the road or something, its not just the increased minutes so spare that excuse. From what Ive seen(and I will keep digging), its a perfect storm of a player stepping it up abit of late but also lazy score keeping.

There has only been 28 games in the season and he hasn't played significant minutes in every single game. You are just assuming because of the difference that it must be because of the score keepers. Where is your proof? Other than the numbers, you don't have any evidence for your argument.

Also, it's important to take into account the teams they played. Naturally he would be worse against better teams, and more of our away games were against good teams. Also, important to take into account his latest jump. He's overall season numbers must have jumped by 2 assists per game since the last 5 games, where he's had a few 15 assists, 17 assists etc games.

Sadds The Gr8
12-23-2012, 01:59 PM
probably the fact that since he's been starting and since we started the 5 gm win streak, the schedule's been easy as hell and all home games except one. (Houston, Orlando, @Cleveland, Detroit, Dallas) That's the 5 game streak. I doubt they're padding his assists to that big of a margain. Playing on the road as a backup, and against tough teams in the first 20+ games downgrades his assist #s

North Yorker
12-23-2012, 02:11 PM
He plays much better as a starter, and Lowry got injured the last game of the team's 5 gm road trip, and Calderon has started the last 6 games, with 5 of those being at home.

Getting AA back (having a wing that can actually shoot) and playing more with Ed Davis (instead of Bargs, who cant hit anything, even when he's open lately), along with playing as a starter with more minutes, are the main reasons, imo

uncleben989
12-23-2012, 02:14 PM
There has only been 28 games in the season and he hasn't played significant minutes in every single game. You are just assuming because of the difference that it must be because of the score keepers. Where is your proof? Other than the numbers, you don't have any evidence for your argument.

Also, it's important to take into account the teams they played. Naturally he would be worse against better teams, and more of our away games were against good teams. Also, important to take into account his latest jump. He's overall season numbers must have jumped by 2 assists per game since the last 5 games, where he's had a few 15 assists, 17 assists etc games.

this. why dont you create a thread why lebron hasnt been called for a foul in how many games. most dumb logic to go by lmao, a home and away comparison for not even half the season yet and add in the fact that most players have better home numbers anyways, your quick to point out its the scorekeepers fault plausibly? who does that...:facepalm::facepalm:

Kuya_Clive
12-23-2012, 02:14 PM
There schedule recently has been pretty favorable for them

TheSource
12-23-2012, 02:16 PM
If you're going to accuse someone of that AT LEAST have a spic of evidence of where they are more lenient with Calderon's assists.

If anyone, the scorekeepers are being generous to Rondo.

Jays Claw
12-23-2012, 02:18 PM
He plays better as a starter, and at home. Plus, his recent spike in assists is due to the schedule being much softer than before (Calderon has started against Dallas, Houston, Cleveland, Detroit, & Orlando during the Raps' 5-game winning streak ~ 4 of the 5 being at home).

2-ONE-5
12-23-2012, 02:18 PM
players are more comfortable scoring and playing at home thats nothing new

TheSource
12-23-2012, 02:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYlDcGweRk

"0:07, 0:19 garnett creating shot by himself
0:39 pierce creating shot by himself
1:06 terry creating shot by himself
1:52 green creating shot by himself
1:12 WHAT THE **** NBA??"

Quoted from comments.

JerseyPalahniuk
12-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quoted from comments.

Hahaha unbelievable. Seems like there is a "home court advantage" for every point guard. Wow Rondo.

Hustlenomics
12-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted from comments.

07- kg got the ball did a step back ..thats an assist
19- kg got the ball bounced it and took a hook shot..thats an assist
39- pierce got the ball took one dribble and shot it..thats an assist
1:06- terry got the ball took a few dribbles and made it..assist
1:52- green caught it pump faked and shot it..assist

Chronz
12-23-2012, 02:44 PM
If you're going to accuse someone of that AT LEAST have a spic of evidence of where they are more lenient with Calderon's assists.

Yes I have long suspected that one as well. I saw him get an Assist that belonged to Shaq.

Chronz
12-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Your right, thread title should have been posed as a question. Its probably a random fluke, a result of a great number of variances.

players are more comfortable scoring and playing at home thats nothing new
Generally yes, they are also better when starting so that could explain some of it as previously mentioned. Just random noise, I overreacted when I saw the numbers.

Sly Guy
12-23-2012, 02:51 PM

why?
the raps have played the fewest home games of anyone this season.
the raps are also 1 and like 15 on the road.
the raps have also had him play as a starter on a rejuvenated squad over the last 5 game win streak, all but one of those games being at home.

that's why. No stat padding here, sorry bud.

Chronz
12-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Check out the first assist of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y_9eTpCqSfg

Do these happen regularly? Im going to start a synergy session to check it out but I overreacted based on what Ive seen the last hour. My bad

smith&wesson
12-23-2012, 02:54 PM
tobleron always does this ... A bit off topic but

He came off the bench for ford . Ford got injured Calderon played amazing ... Ford gets traded Calderon goes back to being average ...

We get jack and Calderon has to fight for mins so he plays amazing again.. Jack gets traded calderon goes back to being his average self again..

Now Lowry starts and gets injured and Calderon is playing amazing again..

Cal827
12-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Calderon is like that annoying girl that friendzoned you in high school. Annoy the hell out of you with their issues, until someone else comes along that takes your interest. Then they basically go HAM to prove that they are better than the new interest.

Cal827
12-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Now with Calderon, when he's alone here, we get annoyed by his defense, then Lowry comes along, he's going hard. I like the guy; I hope that when he leaves (if he does), that we can get him to a contender and he could win a title. He'd be a fantastic back-up PG on teams where he's clearly the 2nd option, cause he'd be constantly trying to prove otherwise (E.g. LA)

sep11ie
12-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Chronz be reaching here.

sep11ie
12-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Calderon is like that annoying girl that friendzoned you in high school. Annoy the hell out of you with their issues, until someone else comes along that takes your interest. Then they basically go HAM to prove that they are better than the new interest.

Now with Calderon, when he's alone here, we get annoyed by his defense, then Lowry comes along, he's going hard. I like the guy; I hope that when he leaves (if he does), that we can get him to a contender and he could win a title. He'd be a fantastic back-up PG on teams where he's clearly the 2nd option, cause he'd be constantly trying to prove otherwise (E.g. LA)

Congrats, back to back terrible posts.

JasonJohnHorn
12-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I've heard that the guys in charge or recording stats can be generous to players sometimes. I remember back when James was in Cleveland there were a couple of games where he got a triple-double and people were bemoaning that James didnt actually get that many rebounds and/or assists. I remember there was a rebound he had apparently tipped out to a teammate and the stats guys counted that as a rebound.

It's hard to tell sometimes. You pass the ball to a guy and he breaks the defence. Do you get an assist? You tip a board out to a teammates, who gets that rebound?

I don't know who pays the stats guys. If the teams do, or if the league does. Are they like officials and travel anywhere the teams go? Or are they from the area where they are working?

I can see there being small differences depending on what the scenario is here.

That said. Calderon is awesome. He wasn't getting as many minutes earlier in the season, and he was playing at SG with Lowry on the floor at times (kind of like how NY has Felton and Kidd on at the same time a lot). Not sure which games were at home and which ones weren't, but the Raps are on a 5-game winning streak, and 4 of the last 5 games have been at home, where Calderon has been handling the ball with Lowry out with injury.

I think if somebody were to do an investigation, we would find that there are a lot of guys whose numbers may be inflated slightly when they play at home.

Green_Monster
12-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted from comments.

I rarely facepalm, but here goes nothing. :facepalm:

heyman321
12-23-2012, 03:41 PM

my god you would be a terrible scientist, or any job that requires objective thought. I'd assume the same if this was about any other team.

Chronz
12-23-2012, 04:58 PM
my god you would be a terrible scientist, or any job that requires objective thought. I'd assume the same if this was about any other team.

lol calm down big guy

cdnsportsfan
12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
why?
the raps have played the fewest home games of anyone this season.
the raps are also 1 and like 15 on the road.
the raps have also had him play as a starter on a rejuvenated squad over the last 5 game win streak, all but one of those games being at home.

that's why. No stat padding here, sorry bud.

This.

Since Lowry's injury they've finally started playing a number of home games, and like Sly Guy said there haven't been many home games to draw from to date and it's been a softer schedule as of late.

Sorry OP, no conspiracy here!

bholly
12-23-2012, 06:08 PM
For what it's worth, here are the top 5 teams in terms of home/road apg differential (ie the number in parentheses is home apg minus road apg).

2012-13:
LA Clippers (4.6)
LA Lakers (4.3)
Atlanta (3.4)
Cleveland (3.2)
Toronto (2.8)

The league median is 1.65, and the arithmetic mean (of the team numbers) is 1.58.

2011-12:
LA Clippers (4.2)
LA Lakers (3.6)
Oklahoma City (3.5)
Cleveland (2.8)
Denver (2.5)
Toronto (2.5)

The league median is 1.25, and the arithmetic mean (of the team numbers) is 1.19.

2010-11:
Golden State (4.7)
LA Clippers (4)
Denver (3.8)
San Antonio (3.3)
Charlotte (3.4)
13th: Toronto (2)

The league median is 1.75, and the arithmetic mean (of the team numbers) is 1.45.

Boston have ranked 10th, 20th, and 11th over the same years.

dtmagnet
12-23-2012, 10:28 PM
07- kg got the ball did a step back ..thats an assist
19- kg got the ball bounced it and took a hook shot..thats an assist
39- pierce got the ball took one dribble and shot it..thats an assist
1:06- terry got the ball took a few dribbles and made it..assist
1:52- green caught it pump faked and shot it..assist

Yeah, in hockey maybe but not basketball.

Jiggy2maHeat
12-23-2012, 10:37 PM

Every average NBA player plays better at home

FriedTofuz
12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
shut this one down lool

LanceUpperCut
12-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm disappointed in you Chronz, I expected more from especially from you.