PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson Calls Rajon Rondo Best All-Around Point Guard in NBA

Hustlenomics
12-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Rajon Rondo spent the early part of this season stalking Magic Johnson‘s record of 46 straight games with double-digit assists. Rondo took the streak so seriously he allowed himself to be kept in the game into the final minute of a loss in Detroit just to notch that decisive 10th assist to keep his run alive. Rondo’s streak eventually ended at 37 games, which tied John Stockton for the second-longest streak behind Johnson. It was an achievement that spoke to Rondo’s abilities as a playmaker. It was also a record Johnson did not even know he had. “I knew it after ESPN ran it,” Johnson said, laughing, during a conference call Friday. “They were keeping the count on Rondo, and they had me up there as No. 1. I did not know they had that record.” Johnson, who is an analyst for ESPN, went on to say he never played for records — “I just played for the championship” — but he was not belittling Rondo’s feat. Johnson praised Rondo for bringing back the role of the classic, pass-first point guard. Earlier in the conference call, Johnson had called Chris Paul the best point guard in the league. He then bestowed that title, with a slight tweak, on Rondo. “First of all, to me, Rondo is the best all-around,” Johnson said. “There’s nobody even close to him as far as all-around, when you think about scoring, rebounding, assists, he’s No. 1. I think a pure point guard, Chris Paul, and he’s right there with Deron Williams. Rondo, Deron Williams, all those guys are right together. It’s amazing when you think about the crop of point guards we’ve got. But I would say Rondo is the best all-around point guard we have in the league.”

http://nesn.com/2012/12/magic-johnson-calls-rajon-rondo-best-all-around-point-guard-in-nba-had-no-idea-he-held-double-digit-assist-streak/

big praise coming from the greatest point guard of all time

Raps08-09 Champ
12-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Chris Paul.

ugafan
12-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Chris Paul is the best point guard in the NBA.

tripleplay2007
12-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Chris Paul and Rajon Rondo are two different types of PG's really just depends on your teams needs.
I would definitely love either but I'd choose Paul.

I really think that Westbrook has improved as a distributor a ton this year.
Even at this point in the season I believe that he's surpassed Deron Williams.

Chronz
12-23-2012, 01:25 AM
I agree with Magic, CP3 is the best PG and the superior player, but Rondo definitely has a better rebounding game.

Raye
12-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Since i believe that shooting is a huge part of the game i have to disagree. CP3 has DJ and Blake to do the rebounding for him.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-23-2012, 01:29 AM
Chris Paul's career rebounding numbers are the same as Rondo's career rebounding numbers.

rockbottom2010
12-23-2012, 01:32 AM
chris paul over rondo...

Chronz
12-23-2012, 01:32 AM
Chris Paul's career rebounding numbers are the same as Rondo's career rebounding numbers.

really? well prolly not any more tho

Hustlenomics
12-23-2012, 01:47 AM

Rondo has been rebounding better than chris paul for 4 straight seasons and has a higher rebound per game average for his career

Raps08-09 Champ
12-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Rondo has been rebounding better than chris paul for 4 straight seasons and has a higher rebound per game average for his career

Chris Paul has been playing with 2 guys who get 20 RPG between them the last 2 seasons so that brought down his rebounds a bit.

CP3 career RPG = 4.4
Rondo career RPG = 4.5

I'm not saying Rondo isn't a better rebounder, but just because Rondo is slightly better at rebounding, doesn't mean he's a better all around player considering CP3 is better than Paul at almost everything else.

Hustlenomics
12-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Chris Paul has been playing with 2 guys who get 20 RPG between them the last 2 seasons so that brought down his rebounds a bit.

CP3 career RPG = 4.4
Rondo career RPG = 4.5

I'm not saying Rondo isn't a better rebounder, but just because Rondo is slightly better at rebounding, doesn't mean he's a better all around player considering CP3 is better than Paul at almost everything else.

rondo barely played his first season that hurts his career stats

Raps08-09 Champ
12-23-2012, 02:00 AM
rondo barely played his first season that hurts his career stats

CP3 playing with someone who actually rebounds a lot also hurts.

Either way, I could care less if Rondo is the better rebounder. CP3's rebounding abilities isn't that far off that someone can call Rondo a better all around player.

Bruno
12-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Williams? GTFO magic :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
12-23-2012, 02:42 AM
Deron Williams? Really Magic? Let me know when you get up to date on your rankings bud.

AnthonyTyrael
12-23-2012, 03:26 AM
That's been my thought too. Sometimes experts don't seem to know what they actually blabber. Sorry this goes against Magic but it's obvious in this case.

QueensG_718
12-23-2012, 03:31 AM
I agree

Swift Game
12-23-2012, 03:45 AM
I think if Rondo can improve his jumpshot significantly he would probably be the best pg in the league..right now its still got to be Chris Paul. The other thing the Rondo lacks is court leadership like a CP3/ Kidd and Nash.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-23-2012, 03:48 AM
Chris Paul.

^

More-Than-Most
12-23-2012, 03:58 AM
And this is why I laugh when people think that these guys know more because they played the game....That goes for any and every league.... He is not remotely close to the level of CP3

I would take some of the peoples opinions on this site over 90 percent of people around any and every league....JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE PLAYED THE SPORT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE SMART WHEN IT COMES TO EVALUATING THE SPORT AND THE PLAYERS.

Odominator
12-23-2012, 04:15 AM
I am not one to argue with a Legend, especially one who played the position. But I do think Chris Paul is a much more complete point guard than Rondo. Rondo is a great Point Guard nonetheless.

ThunderousDemon
12-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one.

JOhnnyTHaJet
12-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Pris Chaul is clearly the best.

ChicagoFan4Eva
12-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Cp3 over Rondo.

tp13baby
12-23-2012, 05:46 AM
As a Nuggets fan. Favorite player to watch is Rondo. Nothing more Id love then watching him in a Nuggets uniform

arealballer
12-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Chris Paul, by a very wide margin.

Rondo still can't shoot the ball, or hit a free throw. Also, a large percentage of his so-called highlight reel plays feature Rondo carrying the ball and/or traveling in an extremely obvious manner.

Rondo's strengths are his intangibles: confidence, aggressiveness, his desire and ability to step up in big games.

CP3 nonetheless has a far superior skillset overall. If there's a knock against him, it's that he's far more ball dominant than rondo, and really avoids pushing the pace, whereas rondo really enjoys the open floor.

Caveman508
12-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Rondo is averaging 2.5 less points,2.8 more assists,2.3 more rebounds and a higher FG%.....

haters :shrug:

Alayla
12-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Magic has been saying foolish things for years now he is no more creditable than shaq

Alayla
12-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Rondo is averaging 2.5 less points,2.8 more assists,2.3 more rebounds and a higher FG%.....

than CP3? have u checked the per 36 minutes stats it starts to become clear who is better

AnthonyTyrael
12-23-2012, 08:02 AM

No hater here but for what team with what players? Are you kidding?

Rondo is great and he should get lots of credit but he's not the best, especially it's not right that he's called the best by a guy who changed his opinion within a minute on televison so that he just doesn't look disrespectful and unpolite in any way when being asked about Rondo.

Either you stick to your opinion and what you've said or you change it every minute and will lose your credibility, even more sad is that coming from a guy who should know it better. Dropping a brick.

Jarvo
12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I'll take Rondo over CP3 anytime :shrug: atleast some else knows he is the BETTER ALL AROUND PG.

Jarvo
12-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Magic has been saying foolish things for years now he is no more creditable than shaq

:facepalm:

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I agree with Magic, CP3 is the best PG and the superior player, but Rondo definitely has a better rebounding game.

But how many baskets does the other team get while Rondo is fishing for offensive glass when he is supposed to be back on D blunting any breaks?

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 09:38 AM
I'll take Rondo over CP3 anytime :shrug: atleast some else knows he is the BETTER ALL AROUND PG.

Rondo is inferior to CP3, and still barely at the end of the top 5 PG's in the league.

Parker showed everyone the difference between a complete player that plays point and a talented but flawed player - and anti-leader that passes the ball too often, thus putting the scoring weight more heavily on his teammates (and less pressure on who covered Rondo) last week when the Spurs and Celts met.

Also Rondo's on ball defense is almost non existent this year, which easily cancels out his real improvements in his J.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Great, and what's that in actual real numbers per 36 minutes? Not bloody much. Certainly not enough to make up for even 10% of Rondo's brutal shooting outside of the paint.

Also as you always avoid, how many lay-ups and break points is the other team getting while Rondo fails to get offensive glass (he fails a lot more often then he succeeds after all).

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Ever hear of percentages?

Any answer for why Rondo has decided not to play D anymore?

Swashcuff
12-23-2012, 09:57 AM
than CP3? have u checked the per 36 minutes stats it starts to become clear who is better

This ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls is what we call putting #s into perspective.

YoungOne
12-23-2012, 10:04 AM
cp3 is better hands down, rondo could be but he plays too passive at times, overpasses and turns the ball over too much

SportsFanatic13
12-23-2012, 10:20 AM
CP3 is way better than Rondo. When CP3 was in New Orleans you think Rondo could've carried that team like CP3 did? No! Now put CP3 on those great Boston teams Rondo was on....Wow

tdg823
12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Rondo's strengths are his intangibles: confidence, aggressiveness, his desire and ability to step up in big games

That hits it prety good. Rondo is my absolute favorite player since Larry Bird. Is he the best point guard, no, nout until he can hit a J (it has looked better this year), and consistenly give defensive effort. But in some ways I think he's underrated because people focus too much on his shooting. That's only like 20-25% of the game.
But my boy plays his butt off!

Greedy22
12-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Magic spewing more garbage I see, stopped reading when I saw Deron Williams in the conversation.

Greedy22
12-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I'll take Rondo over CP3 anytime :shrug: atleast some else knows he is the BETTER ALL AROUND PG. In what world is he better all around?

Green_Monster
12-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm not saying Rondo is better, but he's improved his TS% and eFG% by a lot.

TS%: .483 to .546
eFG%: .456 to .527

tdg823
12-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Also as you always avoid, how many lay-ups and break points is the other team getting while Rondo fails to get offensive glass (he fails a lot more often then he succeeds after all).

That's the celtics system though, why they're so bad on the offensive glass, the big get back, they don't crash. Not sure why rondo does, if that's by design or his doing.

Dankster
12-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I've always thought very highly of Rajon and even categorize him as a Superstar--to me he can have such an impact on every game without shooting even 1 FGA.

But to be called best "all around" in your position requires a very complete skillset on both sides of the ball. Rondo has always been very limited offensively; his jumper has always been inconsistent and he doesn't look for his shot enough when he goes into the paint while probing opposing defenses.

Rondo's and excellent passer and rebounder out of the 1 position, but his scoring clearly leaves him out of contention as best all around PG. For me, I'd pick CP3. He doesnt really have many weaknesses to his game, and his offense is superior to that of ROndo's.

corytwotimes
12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
LMAO!!! yea ok...all the meanwhile DERRICK ROSE is shining his MVP trophy and thinkin about how he led his team to the best record in the league the last 2 years GTFOH

YoungOne
12-23-2012, 11:31 AM
LMAO!!! yea ok...all the meanwhile DERRICK ROSE is shining his MVP trophy and thinkin about how he led his team to the best record in the league the last 2 years GTFOH

its about the present and right now rose isnt in the conversation due to his injury..

pd1dish
12-23-2012, 11:42 AM
i think Rondo is great, but the guy has a hard time scoring from greater than 3 feet from the basket. if i need a bucket, he is definitely not the guy i go to, and its really nice having a PG that can make a jump shot when he absolutely needs to.

dodie53
12-23-2012, 11:44 AM
cp3 > rondo

ztilzer31
12-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Rondo is the most overrated player in the NBA right now.

Green_Monster
12-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Rondo is the most overrated player in the NBA right now.

Explain, please.

corytwotimes
12-23-2012, 12:16 PM
So the BEST point guard in the league only has his team at 13-13??? with garnett, pierce, terry, green, and barbosa to pass to??? yea ok.....the pg list is as follows:

1. Paul
2. Rose (when not injured)
3. Westy
4. Irving
5. Nash (when not injured)
6. Deron (hes about to move even farther down if hes keeps playing like ****)
7. Holiday
8. Parker
9. Curry
10. ***RONDO***

Chronz
12-23-2012, 12:41 PM
But how many baskets does the other team get while Rondo is fishing for offensive glass when he is supposed to be back on D blunting any breaks?

Im guessing not that many considering the rest of the team surrenders the possession after the initial shot attempt. I agree that on most teams, sending your PG to crash the boards would probably be overkill, just as Im sure the C's get toasted for it every now and then, but the rest of the team focuses on getting back, my guess is that Rondo has the go ahead from Doc to chase them, knowing he has the athleticism to regroup with the transition D.

Thats usually how it works, if you have the talent to chase rebounds AND get back in transition, your going to have alot of value in the transition game. Usually teams have to decide which potential payoff suits their roster.

Kashmir13579
12-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Did Rondo learn to shoot yet? I'm legit asking. If not, Magic is just making another one of his outlandish, untrue statements.

cleptopot
12-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Even though CP3 is having a down year he is still better overall than Rondo

Green_Monster
12-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Did Rondo learn to shoot yet? I'm legit asking. If not, Magic is just making another one of his outlandish, untrue statements.

Look above.

Sly Guy
12-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Deron Williams? Really Magic? Let me know when you get up to date on your rankings bud.

I was gonna say the same. DWill is not in the same class as the other 2 anymore.

BleedGreen1014
12-23-2012, 01:13 PM
While I'm not as high on cp3 as most of you, I still think that he is far and away the best pure pg in the game, the rest of my top 5 is as follows...
2. Rose-when healthy he is sensational, maybe not as pure of a point guard but he is a good distributor, explosive scorer and a freakish athlete, hopefully he will be the same player after injury but he might be better, I mean look at Adrian Peterson.
3. Rondo-I love the way he plays, he's a triple double waiting to happen and you don't see point guards who can rebound like that, he reminds me of Jason Kidd in his prime, although not as good a shooter.
4. Parker- he's a winner and has transformed himself as the guy on that team while Tim duncan has passed the torch. There's something to be said about this team remaining successful for so many years and he's a big reason why.
5. Deron- hes struggling this year but I think he will get it going, I think people tend to overrate him a little bit but he is still a great point guard. Good vision, good shooter.
Just missed:
Nash- when healthy this guy is an assist machine, 2nd in the nba on assists last year at 38. Great shooter, great leader.
Westbrook: I think he's improved his passing this year and he is a Derrick rose type pg but he still turns the ball over too much and he should not be leading the thunder in shots, he should defer to Durant a little more.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Yes. I mentioned that several times over the past few weeks... but his on ball D this year is by a factor of 3 or 4 less effective, less effort. It's like watching a real good rec league player, not an NBA pro known for his D in prior years.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 01:22 PM
While I'm not as high on cp3 as most of you, I still think that he is far and away the best pure pg in the game, the rest of my top 5 is as follows...
2. Rose-when healthy he is sensational, maybe not as pure of a point guard but he is a good distributor, explosive scorer and a freakish athlete, hopefully he will be the same player after injury but he might be better, I mean look at Adrian Peterson.
3. Rondo-I love the way he plays, he's a triple double waiting to happen and you don't see point guards who can rebound like that, he reminds me of Jason Kidd in his prime, although not as good a shooter.
4. Parker- he's a winner and has transformed himself as the guy on that team while Tim duncan has passed the torch. There's something to be said about this team remaining successful for so many years and he's a big reason why.
5. Deron- hes struggling this year but I think he will get it going, I think people tend to overrate him a little bit but he is still a great point guard. Good vision, good shooter.
Just missed:
Nash- when healthy this guy is an assist machine, 2nd in the nba on assists last year at 38. Great shooter, great leader.
Westbrook: I think he's improved his passing this year and he is a Derrick rose type pg but he still turns the ball over too much and he should not be leading the thunder in shots, he should defer to Durant a little more.

In terms of hierarchical importance rebounding is very low on a PG's list.

Playmaking (with regular teammates, also w/ lesser/new teammates)
Effective/efficient scoring
Defense on own man

Transition D
help D
Leadership/Offensive QB

all well above rebounding in terms of importance/impact. Also in Rondo's case his team practices early release on the offensive boards, but not him. Two night ago he got sandwiched going for an offensive board, and was late down the floor.

Green_Monster
12-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes. I mentioned that several times over the past few weeks... but his on ball D this year is by a factor of 3 or 4 less effective, less effort. It's like watching a real good rec league player, not an NBA pro known for his D in prior years.

I agree. He doesn't seem as big of a threat on D anymore.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 01:25 PM
That's the celtics system though, why they're so bad on the offensive glass, the big get back, they don't crash. Not sure why rondo does, if that's by design or his doing.

Rondo has been told not to go after all glass at will I would wager.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 01:26 PM
i think Rondo is great, but the guy has a hard time scoring from greater than 3 feet from the basket. if i need a bucket, he is definitely not the guy i go to, and its really nice having a PG that can make a jump shot when he absolutely needs to.

Let's be fair. He has drastically improved his J this year - too bad his on ball D has collapsed almost totally to match it.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Im guessing not that many considering the rest of the team surrenders the possession after the initial shot attempt. I agree that on most teams, sending your PG to crash the boards would probably be overkill, just as Im sure the C's get toasted for it every now and then, but the rest of the team focuses on getting back, my guess is that Rondo has the go ahead from Doc to chase them, knowing he has the athleticism to regroup with the transition D.

Thats usually how it works, if you have the talent to chase rebounds AND get back in transition, your going to have alot of value in the transition game. Usually teams have to decide which potential payoff suits their roster.

Sorry, it was rhetorical question, and yes most of his mates are on the way back. Still it's a declining event for him as is his driving the basket. Age is starting to catch up it seems.

Vincent33
12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll take the word on arguably the best PG to play the game over the opinions of the fine folks on this forum.

Green_Monster
12-23-2012, 01:30 PM
So the BEST point guard in the league only has his team at 13-13??? with garnett, pierce, terry, green, and barbosa to pass to??? yea ok.....the pg list is as follows:

1. Paul
2. Rose (when not injured)
3. Westy
4. Irving
5. Nash (when not injured)
6. Deron (hes about to move even farther down if hes keeps playing like ****)
7. Holiday
8. Parker
9. Curry
10. ***RONDO***

Come on, man.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I'll take the word on arguably the best PG to play the game over the opinions of the fine folks on this forum.

Athletes like him and Walton, etc. are well known to overrate current players that their network has an interest in promoting.

There isn't a hope in hell that Rondo is the best PG in the game today.

Green_Monster
12-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Eh, Shaq is an all time great, but do you agree with everything he says?

Vincent33
12-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Eh, Shaq is an all time great, but do you agree with everything he says?

No, but like I said, I'd much more go with the opinions of some of the all time greats to ever play in the NBA over the opinions of each other here in the forum.

Its fun for discussion, but when someone like Magic, Shaq, Barkley, Miller, etc call some one in the league today one of the best at a particular position, their opinion has far much more weight to it than even some of the more esteemed posters here.

TheWhiteMamba
12-23-2012, 02:00 PM
When healthy, i'll take Rose over any of them.

Corey
12-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Chris Paul is considerably better than Rajon Rondo.

Hustlenomics
12-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I think if Rondo can improve his jumpshot significantly he would probably be the best pg in the league..right now its still got to be Chris Paul. The other thing the Rondo lacks is court leadership like a CP3/ Kidd and Nash.

Chris Paul, by a very wide margin.

Rondo still can't shoot the ball, or hit a free throw. Also, a large percentage of his so-called highlight reel plays feature Rondo carrying the ball and/or traveling in an extremely obvious manner.

Rondo's strengths are his intangibles: confidence, aggressiveness, his desire and ability to step up in big games.

CP3 nonetheless has a far superior skillset overall. If there's a knock against him, it's that he's far more ball dominant than rondo, and really avoids pushing the pace, whereas rondo really enjoys the open floor.

he's shooting 57% from 16-23 feet second to Chris Bosh out players that play at least 30 minutes a game.

RLundi
12-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Even legends are wrong.

Corey
12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Chris Paul can do everything that Rajon Rondo does.

Rajon Rondo cannot do everything that Chris Paul does.

/thread

OaklandsFinest
12-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Rondo is a great passer, a pretty good rebounder for a point guard, but on offense he has no self esteem and it is very apparent. He's really slacked off on defense which was where he was truly special. I would take at least 4 other point guards ahead of him and if I already had a stellar defense behind me I'd maybe even take more. CP3, Rose, Westbrook, and Irving are all points I would take over Rondo this second.

arealballer
12-23-2012, 07:39 PM
he's shooting 57% from 16-23 feet second to Chris Bosh out players that play at least 30 minutes a game.

But he's 24% from 3 pt range and a career 60% free throw shooter.

EastonRuthledge
12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
agreed...and thats coming from a knicks fan

EastonRuthledge
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM

butthurt as usual

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 09:54 PM
No, but like I said, I'd much more go with the opinions of some of the all time greats to ever play in the NBA over the opinions of each other here in the forum.

Its fun for discussion, but when someone like Magic, Shaq, Barkley, Miller, etc call some one in the league today one of the best at a particular position, their opinion has far much more weight to it than even some of the more esteemed posters here.

So what if those guys all named a different PG as the best? Are you going to go with the player that was the best, or maybe the one you like the best.

You have good opinions on the Pats, why not trust your own opinions here?

There are some writers/broadcasters that are good, and others that are ridiculously wrong - at least at times.

sp1derm00
12-23-2012, 10:08 PM
CP3 is the better PG overall. Talking about all-around PG's... CP3 can dish just as well as Rondo, play defense as well as Rondo, handle the ball better than Rondo (less TO's). CP3 can also score from anywhere on the floor, is a very good FT shooter, and he can rebound just as well as Rondo can.

Rondo is an amazing player though, the way he can erupt and take over a game is spectacular.

bagwell368
12-23-2012, 10:24 PM
PG top 11 this season only as of today:

1. Paul

2. Parker
3. Kidd
4. Westbrook

5. Conley
6. Curry
7. Lowry

8. Rondo
9. Calderon