PDA

View Full Version : Spoelstra "Lebron Could Average 37 Points A Game" (With more FGA per game)

MetroMan
12-22-2012, 03:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8772666/lebron-james-says-lead-league-scoring-not-my-job-miami-heat

Sorry but for some reason I can't copy and paste on my iPhone today. Not sure why.

KniCks4LiFe
12-22-2012, 03:30 PM
He's got a valid arguement. 20 FGA per game and shooting 49% career.

Losoway
12-22-2012, 03:33 PM
my mom can average 37 points per game if she shot as much as kobe

KniCks4LiFe
12-22-2012, 03:36 PM
LMAO how this dude's sig is proving me right. Welcome to PSD indeed. :laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Spo never took Kobe's name specifically. Spo is a very intelligent speaker and wouldn't say such things to aggravate the Mamba.

Really, all I got out of this article was LeBron actually stroking his own ego and raving about his FG% and 3P FG%. I'm just surprised he didn't regard himself in the 3rd person like he always does.

Jee, I wonder why he didn't bring up his own FT%. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's time for LeBron to make another 'Check My Stats T-Shirt'.

shep33
12-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Doesn't really make any sense. Kobe's shooting what 20 times a game this year? LBJ is at 18.

LeBron could easily bring his average up if he hit his FT's.

bucketss
12-22-2012, 03:40 PM
another 16 page kobe vs lebron thread coming up

MetroMan
12-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Spo never took Kobe's name specifically. Spo is a very intelligent speaker and wouldn't say such things to aggravate the Mamba.

Really, all I got out of this article was LeBron actually stroking his own ego and raving about his FG% and 3P FG%. I'm just surprised he didn't regard himself in the 3rd person like he always does.

Lebron is a *******. Stroking his ego indeed.

Also I hate people who talk in 3rd person, it's so annoying.

RLundi
12-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Lol Kobe is the single most cocky player in the league -- maybe even in all of sports. Not sure if a Lakers fan and Kobe supporter has room to chastise any NBA player for purported arrogance with Bryant on their team.

KniCks4LiFe
Doesn't really make any sense. Kobe's shooting what 20 times a game this year? LBJ is at 18.

LeBron could easily bring his average up if he hit his FT's.

LeBron averages 5.9 FTA and makes 4.0. How much more should he hit?

What's scary is he's shooting the 3 ball more efficient than ever.

Tayzak15
Kobe>Lebron all time

RLundi
12-22-2012, 03:43 PM

LOL pot meet kettle.

Good lord, the hypocrisy is astounding.

bucketss
12-22-2012, 03:43 PM
lol just read it lebron is so cocky lmao i can see why people hate him honestly if i didn't hate the lakers so much and their fans lol i think i might hate on lebron -_-

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:44 PM
What LBJ doesn't realize is that if he were to shoot 25-28 FGA per game, his offense game is so monotonous, that if elite stifling defenses were to make him shoot 20 jumpshots a game, he'd be lucky to hit maybe only 6-7 of those, because the midrange game is still his #1 weakness after 10 yrs in the association. Just check his FT%, nothing to rave about.

MetroMan
12-22-2012, 03:45 PM
LOL pot meet kettle.

Care to elaborate?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Lol Kobe is the single most cocky player in the league -- maybe even in all of sports. Not sure if a Lakers fan and Kobe supporter has room to chastise any NBA player for purported arrogance with Bryant on their team.

Yeah um, I don't know how to tell you this, but...

Kobe raves more so about his rings and his ability to close games rather than his stats.

RLundi
12-22-2012, 03:47 PM
LeBron averages 5.9 FTA and makes 4.0. How much more should he hit?

What's scary is he's shooting the 3 ball more efficient than ever.

Ideally, at least 70%?

And it's incredible that he's only averaging 6 free throw a game.

bucketss
12-22-2012, 03:48 PM
What LBJ doesn't realize is that if he were to shoot 25-28 FGA per game, his offense game is so monotonous, that if elite stifling defenses were to make him shoot 20 jumpshots a game, he'd be lucky to hit maybe only 6-7 of those, because the midrange game is still his #1 weakness after 10 yrs in the association. Just check his FT%, nothing to rave about.

can you provide some facts to back up your claim

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Ideally, at least 70%?

Don't worry, it all balances out with him not putting anyone on the free throw line so as he doesn't foul at all so...

KniCks4LiFe
12-22-2012, 03:49 PM

but he's shooting 49% on 20 shots. You telling me he were to shoot 6 or 7 more he wouldn't make those? The FT % is not that great but honestly if he were to do that who would stop him?

The Kobe shoots too much arguement is ridiculous. If you have 100 possessions and basketball is a game of possessions why shouldn't a career 45% shooter get 20 of those. The only year he overdid it was 05/06 when he avg. 27 FGA.

RLundi
12-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah um, I don't know how to tell you this, but...

Kobe raves more so about his rings and his ability to close games rather than his stats.

You do know that being cocky or arrogant amounts to raving about yourself in general don't you?

What does it matter that he raves about rings/closing ability rather than stats? HE'S STILL RAVING ABOUT HIMSELF.

xnick5757
12-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Per 36 minutes:

Kobe: 19.4 FGA, 2.0 3PA, 8.3 FTA, 27.7 PTS
Lebon: 17.5 FGA, 3.2 3PA, 5.6 FTA, 24.2 PTS

Lebron hits one or two more shots and he will average the same as kobe

KniCks4LiFe
12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Ideally, at least 70%?

It's incredible he doesn't need it to hit 30 pts. I just think he smart enough to save his body.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Kobe could average 7 assists in his prime but it wasn't suited for his game. Bron looking to chuck wouldnt be as inefficient as say Iverson, but him playing more of a Melo game isnt doing anyone any good.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:52 PM
can you provide some facts to back up your claim

Sure, the only game where LeBron really has dominated via jumpshots is Game 6 of the 2012 ECF @ Boston, after being down 3-2. That game was won purely on tough jumpshots with guys in his grill.

Before that and after that, I can't recall a game where LeBron dominated soley by just the perimeter game with points solemnly coming at the FT line or in the paint via fast break or half court dunks or layups.

ANd as far as his FT%, go ahead and check his yearly FT%s. not once in his 10 yrs career has even shot even close to 80% from the line. And for being the best player in the world, he's shooting a career low in FT% after 10 yrs in the association. (putrid 68.1%)

tredigs
12-22-2012, 03:52 PM

I can't understand how this myth persists (granted with the less knowledgeable fans) that LeBron has a weak mid range game. LeBrons jumper is as wet as there is in the NBA and the #s back it up.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
You do know that being cocky or arrogant amounts to raving about yourself in general don't you?

What does it matter that he raves about rings/closing ability rather than stats? HE'S STILL RAVING ABOUT HIMSELF.

Kobe brings up the rings when people say he's old and can't re-elevate a team back to title contention, or when the Lakers are going through tough stretches, he says that he and a couple of guys ilke him have the championship pedigree to get over those difficult times. And then he ends his statements by saying that people still doubting him after all of this are still IDIOTS. And he's right.

bucketss
12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Sure, the only game where LeBron really has dominated via jumpshots is Game 6 of the 2012 ECF @ Boston, after being down 3-2. That game was won purely on tough jumpshots with guys in his grill.

Before that and after that, I can't recall a game where LeBron dominated soley by just the perimeter game with points solemnly coming at the FT line or in the paint via fast break or half court dunks or layups.

ANd as far as his FT%, go ahead and check his yearly FT%s. not once in his 10 yrs career has even shot even close to 80% from the line. And for being the best player in the world, he's shooting a career low in FT% after 10 yrs in the association. (putrid 68.1%)

i know fts are a weakness of his, i was talking about the midrange he midrange is far from a weakness.

RLundi
12-22-2012, 03:55 PM
It's incredible he doesn't need it to hit 30 pts. I just think he smart enough to save his body.

I don't think it has anything to do with saving his body. I think he's just being more passive offensively with trying to get his teammates the ball and be a more all-around player.

When you think about it, the disparity in free throws from his career average only amounts to an extra drive or two to the basket. I don't think he's consciously trying to avoid contact as much as he's being a perimeter player looking to put Bosh, Allen and Wade in positions to score the ball.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I can't understand how this myth persists (granted with the less knowledgeable fans) that LeBron has a weak mid range game. LeBrons jumper is as wet as there is in the NBA and the #s back it up.

A FREE-throw, and he hits 68.1%.

3 pt % is out of this world, no question.

But what about the free throws. That's without anyone in his face...unless if you want to attribute that to a mental thing, then that's another story.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 03:56 PM

monotonous ? More like methodical. He doesnt have a weak J, at all hes just not as good as Kobe-Durant. That doesnt mean he couldn't force the issue and selfishly bump his scoring averages. I would attack his in-between game but I think hes improved their too.

His FT% has been at a career low, doubt it stays that low.

PraiseJesus
12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Kobe is a more skilled and polished basketball player

LeBron is more gifted athletically

Their FG% differ because LeBron gets more layups and easy put backs

And that's it

LeBron has a higher ceiling than Kobe because of his physical abilities.

godolphins
12-22-2012, 03:58 PM
The title is misleading. Here's what Spo said: "He could average 37 points a game, realistically I think," said Spoelstra

RLundi
Kobe brings up the rings when people say he's old and can't re-elevate a team back to title contention, or when the Lakers are going through tough stretches, he says that he and a couple of guys ilke him have the championship pedigree to get over those difficult times. And then he ends his statements by saying that people still doubting him after all of this are still IDIOTS. And he's right.

LeBron clearly didn't just offer his statements for fun without probing. Of course he was asked a question and he responded accordingly, quite similarly to what Kobe does. Yet you chastise LeBron? Does that not seem hypocritical?

And LeBron is definitely right: he could average close to 40 a game if he wanted to. People that doubt that are IDIOTS.

bucketss
A FREE-throw, and he hits 68.1%.

3 pt % is out of this world, no question.

But what about the free throws. That's without anyone in his face...unless if you want to attribute that to a mental thing, then that's another story.

he is streaky from three i agree and fts% are messed i think though its more mental than anything.

bucketss

And that's it

thanks captain obvious:p

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
i know fts are a weakness of his, i was talking about the midrange he midrange is far from a weakness.

Oh it's gotten really better over the years, I'll admit. But if he were to be reverted to soley a jump shooter (something that doesn't really take much athleticism to be honest), he doesn't have the shooting mechanics and that mentality to shoot 20-25 per game on a consistent basis. Jumpshots is all about rhythm, shooting form etc. Durant has a nice shooting form, Melo has a nice shooting form, KB has a nice shooting form.

You look at guys like Wade and Bron and some other guys in this league, it's clear those guys don't work on shooting forms.

Chronz
Isnt this a bait thread with false quotes?

PraiseJesus
thanks captain obvious:p

If it's so obvious then why all the LeBron v Kobe talk all the time

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM
monotonous ? More like methodical. He doesnt have a weak J, at all hes just not as good as Kobe-Durant. That doesnt mean he couldn't force the issue and selfishly bump his scoring averages. I would attack his in-between game but I think hes improved their too.

His FT% has been at a career low, doubt it stays that low.

I do agree with this, but I said that the weakness of his game is his Jumpshot. Not necessarily that he has a weak J. He's so good in other areas of the offensive game, it's just that even though he's average on jump shots, relative to the rest of his game, that midrange game is his weakness. That's all.

I was speaking in relative terms.

And as far as FT%, which is around that "mid-range" area, I still don't understand why his FT% has never been at 80%, especially when it's an "un-guarded" shot attempt.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM

mamba fan - out

Greedy22
12-22-2012, 04:02 PM

And that's it

thanks captain obvious:p that's praise Jesus to you :p

Ebbs
Why do people even bother getting riled about Kobe/LeBron comparisons anymore. It's a no contest LeBron is better, at basically everything.

bucketss
Oh it's gotten really better over the years, I'll admit. But if he were to be reverted to soley a jump shooter (something that doesn't really take much athleticism to be honest), he doesn't have the shooting mechanics and that mentality to shoot 20-25 per game on a consistent basis. Jumpshots is all about rhythm, shooting form etc. Durant has a nice shooting form, Melo has a nice shooting form, KB has a nice shooting form.

You look at guys like Wade and Bron and some other guys in this league, it's clear those guys don't work on shooting forms.

his shooting form from mid range is beautiful for someone his size if jermaine oneal with his form is considered solid from mid-range than lebron is pretty elite there.

RLundi

Isn't this all subjective? Shooting forms and how pretty they look? Who cares? Results matter, and you saying that if reverted to a jump-shooter, LeBron would struggle -- how did you form this hypothesis? It's all complete speculation until a burden of proof is presented.

FYI, I don't think Durant has a beautiful shooting form, but my opinion has NO bearing on the effectiveness of his shot.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 04:03 PM
LeBron clearly didn't just offer his statements for fun without probing. Of course he was asked a question and he responded accordingly, quite similarly to what Kobe does. Yet you chastise LeBron? Does that not seem hypocritical?

And LeBron is definitely right: he could average close to 40 a game if he wanted to. People that doubt that are IDIOTS.

I think a guy like MJ can easily average over 40, depending on FT% and midrange game, especially if he goes up against tough defenses.

I do not think LBJ can. 35??? Maybe??? But 40 is so tough that really, only the elite offensive maestros in this league could probably reach that feat.

Even though LBJ is the best player in the game, he is NOT an offensive maestro.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 04:04 PM
I do agree with this, but I said that the weakness of his game is his Jumpshot. Not necessarily that he has a weak J. He's so good in other areas of the offensive game, it's just that even though he's average on jump shots, relative to the rest of his game, that midrange game is his weakness. That's all. I was speaking in relative terms.
Understood, but again, its his in between game thats lacking, not his midrange game. Hes one of the better mid range shooters in the game.

And as far as FT%, which is around that "mid-range" area, I still don't understand why his FT% has never been at 80%, especially when it's an "un-guarded" shot attempt.
It happens

KniCks4LiFe
12-22-2012, 04:04 PM

I agree on this. But honestly this season he's not great from the elbow but beyond that, 24 ft. or more he's around 43-44% and that plays to nearly what Novak did from that spot last year. To say 10 more shots per game would put him 37 PPG isn't a stretch.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Anyways, all good points brought up by others. I do think the title of this thread is misleading. Coach Spo never really came out and said anything to take a shot at Kobe. He didn't even mention Kobe's name. He just put his superstar in a positive light, nothing really wrong with that. Spo really didn't say anything wrong here.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Isnt this a bait thread with false quotes?

Yes, the op wanted a kobe vs lebron thread.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 04:07 PM
OH bron bron. Why do you feel the need to talk about yourself like this.

KniCks4LiFe
12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
So this isn't even something said in the article? man you thread OPer's.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-22-2012, 04:09 PM

The only person that was actually cool speaking in 3rd person was the rock! The best ever!

kswissdaf
12-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Where did spoelstra say Lebron Can Average 37 Points A Game If He Shoots As Much As Kobe???? I read He could average 37 points a game, realistically I think

Chronz
12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
his shooting form from mid range is beautiful for someone his size if jermaine oneal with his form is considered solid from mid-range than lebron is pretty elite there.

Jermaine was soo overrated offensively

bucketss
I think a guy like MJ can easily average over 40, depending on FT% and midrange game, especially if he goes up against tough defenses.

I do not think LBJ can. 35??? Maybe??? But 40 is so tough that really, only the elite offensive maestros in this league could probably reach that feat.

Even though LBJ is the best player in the game, he is NOT an offensive maestro.

its not really impressive to avg 40 a game for someone lebrons size and strength if he gives up playing defense,passing,rebounding and focuses only on scoring it really isn't far fetched. he'd probably cherry pick alot to.

KB-Pau-DH2012
The only person that was actually cool speaking in 3rd person was the rock! The best ever!

:clap: Ahh, good times man.

Money_23
12-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Tyson Chandler could average 40 if he took as many shots as Kobe. :laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 04:12 PM
its not really impressive to avg 40 a game for someone lebrons size and strength if he gives up playing defense,passing,rebounding and focuses only on scoring it really isn't far fetched. he'd probably cherry pick alot to.

I think MJ being able to average what was it like 37-7-7, playing defense etc, proves that the guy was capable of doing that. Yeah, I don't think the rest of LJB's numbers and defensive impact would be that good if he concentrated solely on scoring.

LoveMeOrHateMe

This his midrange game is much improved! But he still has a lot of flawes in his game
Post game Ft% etc.

bucketss

that guy was corny as hell

Chronz
OH bron bron. Why do you feel the need to talk about yourself like this.

Hes not saying anything any other scorer hasnt said. But what nobody seems to get is that nobody is playing that way. Durant or whoever is leading the league in that department this year is playing for his teams benefit. Durant could average 40 if he wanted to, but the team would suffer so much as a result that it would be ridiculous to do so. Whats the point of this expression if it holds true for everyone?

KniCks4LiFe
12-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Tyson Chandler could be the league's leading scorer if he took as many shots as Kobe. :laugh2:

not the way teams are going to guard the pick n'roll from now on. We've been scouted hard. :(

LoveMeOrHateMe
:clap: Ahh, good times man.

I know the attitude era was the ****!:clap:

ThunderousDemon
Why do people even bother getting riled about Kobe/LeBron comparisons anymore. It's a no contest LeBron is better, at basically everything.

:rolleyes:

nickdymez
12-22-2012, 04:14 PM

His jumper is barely mediocre. The reason his numbers look decent from mid range is because people defend the penetration. That's it. But keep believing your hero has a "wet" jumper.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 04:14 PM
I think MJ being able to average what was it like 37-7-7, playing defense etc, proves that the guy was capable of doing that. Yeah, I don't think the rest of LJB's numbers and defensive impact would be that good if he concentrated solely on scoring.

:facepalm:

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 04:15 PM

In no way shape or form could Lebron avg. 40 ppg. that's just insane. He could get up to about 30-34 though.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Not to me he wasn't he was funny but at the same time he made his opponents look like nobody's on the microphone! He would burry anyone he wanted on the mic, can't believe my childhood is over

bucketss
12-22-2012, 04:16 PM

yep that is what he pretty much said in the article his game doesn't let him put up those kind scoring numbers.

Chronz
This his midrange game is much improved! But he still has a lot of flawes in his game
Post game Ft% etc.

His midrange game was much improved many-many years ago. Post game was constantly getting better with each passing year. FT% is something that is for the most part inert/static. Its more important to get to the line than be an elite ft shooter so if thats a weakness it tells us just how imposing he is.

KB-Pau-DH2012
:facepalm:

You really think LBJ would be able to average 40 and still put up big assist #s?

MetroMan
12-22-2012, 04:17 PM

It's doesn't matter what you think.

Go to rout 3:16 make a left on rock boulvelard and check in to the smack down hotel.

If you smellalalalalal. What the MetroMan is.............. cooking

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Go to rout 3:16 make a left on rock boulvelard and check in to the smack down hotel.

llullz nice.

bucketss
12-22-2012, 04:19 PM
His jumper is barely mediocre. The reason his numbers look decent from mid range is because people defend the penetration. That's it. But keep believing your hero has a "wet" jumper.

you make no sense if his jumper is mediocre than why doesn't he miss those jumpers when hes given space? this argument would make sense if someone said lebron has a better jumper than kobe and melo because of the %. than you can say well his % are higher because people defend the penetration.

RLundi
12-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Oh lord, not this guy again.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 04:21 PM
You bring up a good point about the subjectivity of shot creation and how players go about it but what makes you think its barely mediocre? When you say things like that it comes off as if you know specifically each players hierarchy on specific skill sets. But you dont use stats so I know that cant be true, still Im hoping you have some solid facts to back your ranking.

Like would it surprise you if I told you that Bron has hit a higher % of his Spot-Up 3's than Kobe has over the last few years?

bucketss
12-22-2012, 04:21 PM
In no way shape or form could Lebron avg. 40 ppg. that's just insane. He could get up to about 30-34 though.

he can if he cherry picked and conserved his energy by stop defending/rebounding. but yeah i agree he can't if he played a normal game because any sane coach would bench him if he tried doing that.

bucketss
12-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Not to me he wasn't he was funny but at the same time he made his opponents look like nobody's on the microphone! He would burry anyone he wanted on the mic, can't believe my childhood is over

i gotta admit it was hilarious when he use to insult michael cole

ILLUSIONIST^248

lol

Chronz
You really think LBJ would be able to average 40 and still put up big assist #s?

Lets just leave it at the face palm shall we?

RLundi
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM

I never use these but :facepalm:

LeBron average nearly 32 a couple years ago, when he wasn't shooting 53% from the field and 43% from 3. IF HE REALLY WANTED TO, LeBron could absolutely average close to 35-37ppg.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
I really dont think you know much about statistical analysis.

Let's just say that if LeBron's jump shot is the weakest part of his offensive game, then statistical analysis is the weakest part of my arguments. ;)

Chronz
12-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Let's just say that if LeBron's jump shot is the weakest part of his offensive game, then statistical analysis is the weakest part of my arguments. ;)

Just gimme the rest of your list so I could be done with ya. Just curious

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 04:26 PM
he can if he cherry picked and conserved his energy by stop defending/rebounding. but yeah i agree he can't if he played a normal game because any sane coach would bench him if he tried doing that.

Well of course he can if he cherry picks and the other thing you mentioned lol. If lebron tried becoming a dominant scorer coaches and player would adapt to it. I think his fg% would also take a nice hit if he did so. He's a very smart scorer and chooses his spots, So he would have to take low percentage shots just to add more to his ppg.

Yanks All Day
12-22-2012, 04:26 PM
LeBron didn't sound cocky at all in that article. If anything, he was saying all the right things. He COULD lead the league in scoring, but he feels his game helps the team more when he focuses on other areas. That's what I'd want my star saying.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Its CIRCULAR LOGIC PEOPLE.

If ANYONE wanted to and they had the go ahead to turn the game into a mockery, they could score more. The team would suffer tho

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Its CIRCULAR LOGIC PEOPLE.

If ANYONE wanted to and they had the go ahead to turn the game into a mockery, they could score more. The team would suffer tho

Well of course. I'm sure if kobe had the Go from his coach he would shot 19-40 every game lol.

rocket
12-22-2012, 04:37 PM
He probably could.

The Flash
12-22-2012, 04:39 PM
lol

K0BE8124
12-22-2012, 04:44 PM
But his 3point and Field % will take a major hit down

45-47 % total FG%

34-35% from3 point

No way he's posting 37 on 50% and 40% from 3 ..he's not a great offensive scorer, he just picks his spots he's a smart player ... I'd still compare him to magic not MJ or kobe...still a very unique all around player

tripleplay2007
12-22-2012, 04:51 PM
I strongly believe LeBron could score as much as 37 a game if he shot as many times as Kobe. All his other stats would go down on the offensive side and I'm sure his team's winning percentage would go down as well but all that aside I think he has the skill set to put up these kind of numbers if he thought it was necessary to do so he could win he's just smart and not selfish on the floor.

tripleplay2007
12-22-2012, 04:52 PM
But his 3point and Field % will take a major hit down

45-47 % total FG%

34-35% from3 point

No way he's posting 37 on 50% and 40% from 3 ..he's not a great offensive scorer, he just picks his spots he's a smart player ... I'd still compare him to magic not MJ or kobe...still a very unique all around player

Lol. Bias fool.

TheMoneyTeam
12-22-2012, 04:53 PM
I entered 'You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain' in my GPS and it laughed back at me with a British accent.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 04:54 PM
I strongly believe LeBron could score as much as 37 a game if he shot as many times as Kobe. All his other stats would go down on the offensive side and I'm sure his team's winning percentage would go down as well but all that aside I think he has the skill set to put up these kind of numbers if he thought it was necessary to do so he could win he's just smart and not selfish on the floor.

Well so could durant kobe or melo. Anyone superstar could do what you just said. Your not saying much.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Kobe only shoots 2 more times a game dude. Even if lebron shot two more times and made both he would be at 29ppg. So your argument is flawed.

Minimal
12-22-2012, 05:03 PM
I believe LeBron would be able to average not 37 but around 35 points a game if he shot around 22 times a game and was really aggressive each and every game, just like in playoffs and shot 10+ FT attempts a game.

SportsFanatic10
12-22-2012, 05:03 PM
lol at the thread title. op needs to learn how to read. although what he claims spo said could very well happen if lebron were a ballhog.

tripleplay2007
12-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Well so could durant kobe or melo. Anyone superstar could do what you just said. Your not saying much.

I agree with Durant and Melo but not Kobe at this point in his career.

TheSource
12-22-2012, 05:11 PM
He averages 2 FGA less than Kobe, and 4 points less than him too.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:12 PM
I believe LeBron would be able to average not 37 but around 35 points a game if he shot around 22 times a game and was really aggressive each and every game, just like in playoffs and shot 10+ FT attempts a game.

Even if lebron made 12-22 shots and 7-10 freethrows he would avg about 32 a game. Lebron has a great fg% because he is great at knowing when to shoot. If he shot 4 more times a game there is no way those shots would be as high percentage shots as he takes now. If he did believe he could make another 2 out of 4 shots per game he would do it. The shot selections are just not there for him. He will not take shots he don't think he can make.

tripleplay2007
12-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Kobe only shoots 2 more times a game dude. Even if lebron shot two more times and made both he would be at 29ppg. So your argument is flawed.

Why are you even quoting me and trying to discuss with me if you disagree with everything I say just ignore my points and quit trolling. I can discuss what I want where I want and I'd really like to enjoy the NBA forum without you even trying to talk to me.

LeBron shoots 3 less in a much faster paced offense, if you've watched the Heat play they are fast break the majority of the game feeding the guy who has the best percentage shot available. 2 different teams, 2 different strategies.

If Kobe had LeBron's skill set he could average 37 points a game, does that sound better to you ILLUSIONIST seriously butt out. Just because I'm involved in a Kobe Bryant thread doesn't mean you have to give me your thoughts because I really don't care.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:14 PM

This is what they don't get. If Lebron only shoots 2 times less than Kobe, how is Lebron magically going to get 12 more ppg on 2 shots?

agureghian
12-22-2012, 05:16 PM
amateur mistake for an amateur coach

tripleplay2007
12-22-2012, 05:18 PM

3 and don't forget about Kobe taking 3 more free throws as well. Whose to say if LeBron didn't play like Kobe he couldn't draw more fouls or find more open shots.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Why are you even quoting me and trying to discuss with me if you disagree with everything I say just ignore my points and quit trolling. I can discuss what I want where I want and I'd really like to enjoy the NBA forum without you even trying to talk to me.

LeBron shoots 3 less in a much faster paced offense, if you've watched the Heat play they are fast break the majority of the game feeding the guy who has the best percentage shot available. 2 different teams, 2 different strategies.

If Kobe had LeBron's skill set he could average 37 points a game, does that sound better to you ILLUSIONIST seriously butt out. Just because I'm involved in a Kobe Bryant thread doesn't mean you have to give me your thoughts because I really don't care.

Are we not in a sports forum to discuss sports? Lebron avg. 2.5 less shots not 3. Don't be all sore because of yesterday. I've moved on so should you. Being on two different teams means nothing. Lakers play really fast actually.
If kobe had lebrons skill set?:facepalm: just stop dude.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:20 PM
3 and don't forget about Kobe taking 3 more free throws as well. Whose to say if LeBron didn't play like Kobe he couldn't draw more fouls or find more open shots.

What if what if what if.

Gritz
12-22-2012, 05:25 PM

uhm.. you're on the internet acting like a superhero, speaking in 3rd person, check your signature.

ManRam
12-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Just a coach comment.

But obviously LeBron would score more than Kobe if they took the same amount of shots.

shep33
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
They both suck. BlatcheSystem

Minimal
12-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Even if lebron made 12-22 shots and 7-10 freethrows he would avg about 32 a game. Lebron has a great fg% because he is great at knowing when to shoot. If he shot 4 more times a game there is no way those shots would be as high percentage shots as he takes now. If he did believe he could make another 2 out of 4 shots per game he would do it. The shot selections are just not there for him. He will not take shots he don't think he can make.
Lets do some simple maths.
LeBron shots around 3 times a game from 3 point line and 15 2 pointers.
Lets say he shoots 4 3 pointers and 18 2 pointers.
Then he averages 1.8 made 3 pointers a game and 11 2 pointers. That makes: 5,4 + 22 + lets say 7.5 free throws. that makes 34.9 PPG. IMO He could average 35 PPG on 22 FGA if he would maintain same effiency with the shots and played aggressive, but its really doubtful.

Bruno
12-22-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised that an NBA coach would make a comment that would fit right in with the comments that trolls and children make on PSD.

Kobe Bryant shoots the ball 2.5 times more per game than LeBron James. Kobe Bryants TS% is nearly identical to LeBron James. Were 26 games into the season and Kobe is still at .600 in TS%.

If LeBron wasn't shooting 68% from the strike, at the lowest FTA rate since his rookie season, Spo might have a point.

If LBJ shot as much as Kobe did, he'd probably average as point points as Kobe does...not 37 points per game. :facepalm:

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Lets do some simple maths.
LeBron shots around 3 times a game from 3 point line and 15 2 pointers.
Lets say he shoots 4 3 pointers and 18 2 pointers.
Then he averages 1.8 made 3 pointers a game and 11 2 pointers. That makes: 5,4 + 22 + lets say 7.5 free throws. that makes 34.9 PPG. IMO He could average 35 PPG on 22 FGA if he would maintain same effiency with the shots and played aggressive.

I agree. I was talking about the people saying he can avg the 37 spolstra said. 37 is way to high.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm surprised that an NBA coach would make a comment that would fit right in with the comments that trolls and children make on PSD.

Kobe Bryant shoots the ball 2.5 times more per game than LeBron James. Kobe Bryants TS% is nearly identical to LeBron James. Were 26 games into the season and Kobe is still at .600 in TS%.

If LeBron wasn't shooting 68% from the strike, at the lowest FTA rate since his rookie season, Spo might have a point.

If LBJ shot as much as Kobe did, he'd probably average as point points as Kobe does...not 37 points per game. :facepalm:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bucketss
12-22-2012, 05:43 PM

spo didn't actually say that,the op thought it would be funny if it was presented this way though.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Just a coach comment.

But obviously LeBron would score more than Kobe if they took the same amount of shots.

Your right.
He would score about 30 ppg.
Not the 37 spo is claiming.

Bruno
12-22-2012, 05:44 PM
spo didn't actually say that,the op thought it would be funny if it was presented this way though.

he said he could score 37.

"He could average 37 points a game, realistically I think,"

Bruno
12-22-2012, 05:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8772666/lebron-james-says-lead-league-scoring-not-my-job-miami-heat

Sorry but for some reason I can't copy and paste on my iPhone today. Not sure why.

hey- at what point in the article did spolstra say that he could score 37 if he shot as much as kobe? he said he could score 37, he never made the kobe comparison. you need to stop putting things in quotations that haven't been said- youve done the same thing in the Lakers forum.

its a great article and i'm glad you shared it, but properly label it.

ManRam
12-22-2012, 05:49 PM
It is a pretty stupid comment, especially because Kobe is only shooting it a few times more a game. Kobe's points per shot is actually higher than LeBron's this year. That probably hasn't happened since LeBron's very earliest days in Cleveland, and it certainly won't continue all year.

Silly comment by Spo...but whatever. Coaches say this dumb stuff all the time.

Last year, if LeBron shot the ball 20.7 times a game (Kobe's FGA this year), he would have averaged 34 points a game. But LeBron's FT rate is so low this year that you can't say this now. However, if he's looking to score as often as Kobe is, you'd imagine that FT rate would spike.

bucketss
he said he could score 37.

"He could average 37 points a game, realistically I think,"

yeah i know but he didn't mention kobe lol.

Bruno
yeah i know but he didn't mention kobe lol.

right. i just edited the title. thanks.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 05:55 PM
It is a pretty stupid comment, especially because Kobe is only shooting it a few times more a game. Kobe's points per shot is actually higher than LeBron's this year. That probably hasn't happened since LeBron's very earliest days in Cleveland, and it certainly won't continue all year.

Silly comment by Spo...but whatever. Coaches say this dumb stuff all the time.

Last year, if LeBron shot the ball 20.7 times a game (Kobe's FGA this year), he would have averaged 34 points a game. But LeBron's FT rate is so low this year that you can't say this now. However, if he's looking to score as often as Kobe is, you'd imagine that FT rate would spike.

I agree. pretty dumb on spo, but hey he's lebrons coach what else is he supposed to say.
As for the second part 34 seems to be the absoulute max he could do.

tripleplay2007
12-22-2012, 05:57 PM
This thread makes a lot more sense now that the titles changed and hopefully it keeps the Kobe fans from getting butt hurt.

ManRam
12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
I agree. pretty dumb on spo, but hey he's lebrons coach what else is he supposed to say.
As for the second part 34 seems to be the absoulute max he could do.

Yeah. Last year he averaged 1.66 points per shot (which is nuts). 37 points on just under 21 shots is unrealistic. With that 1.66 number 34 is what you get. He's well under 1.66 this year (because his FT rate).

He was using hyperbole though in all likelihood.

ManRam
12-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Now with the thread title altered...

I don't think it would be best for the Heat if he tried to score that much. Could he? Perhaps...he's as creative and efficient as it gets. It would require him to play a brand of basketball that he doesn't like to play. It would require him to be selfish.

He shot the ball 23 times a game in his third season. 23 times a game, based on his scoring efficiency this year wouldn't get him close. Using last year again (1.66), 23 would have done it. I definitely think 37 points would be possible...but it will never happen, nor should LeBron ever try to make it happen.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah. Last year he averaged 1.66 points per shot (which is nuts). 37 points on just under 21 shots is unrealistic. With that 1.66 number 34 is what you get. He's well under 1.66 this year (because his FT rate).

He was using hyperbole though in all likelihood.

I agree last year.
I think everyone's speaking of this year though.

Yeah i'm sure spo just meant it as a high praise.

nickdymez
12-22-2012, 06:16 PM
You bring up a good point about the subjectivity of shot creation and how players go about it but what makes you think its barely mediocre? When you say things like that it comes off as if you know specifically each players hierarchy on specific skill sets. But you dont use stats so I know that cant be true, still Im hoping you have some solid facts to back your ranking.

Like would it surprise you if I told you that Bron has hit a higher % of his Spot-Up 3's than Kobe has over the last few years?

Im not talking to you about anything unless you use another player besides kobe as an example. Jesus christ

Mr Costanza
12-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree last year.
I think everyone's speaking of this year though.

Yeah i'm sure spo just meant it as a high praise.

D12fan? Mr LA?

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 07:24 PM
D12fan? Mr LA?

What?

SportsFanatic10
12-22-2012, 07:26 PM
What?

he's suggesting your a dupe of other known trolls accounts since you post just like them.

Mr Costanza
12-22-2012, 07:27 PM
What?

D12fan.

RLundi
12-22-2012, 07:29 PM
What?

You're D12Fan aren't you, you little toolbag? :laugh2:

In all seriousness if you're really him, please just deny it.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 07:36 PM
he's suggesting your a dupe of other known trolls accounts since you post just like them.

So this troll would have provided an amazing amount of stats and good arguments?

SportsFanatic10
12-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Im not talking to you about anything unless you use another player besides kobe as an example. Jesus christ

lol you say something that isn't true about lebron, and then when proven wrong you get defensive. i bet you wouldn't say kobe has a bad jumper, and thats why he used him as an example. stats must really be a pain in the *** for you when they repeatedly burst your bubble and show just how much your biased eyes deceive you huh?

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 07:37 PM
You're D12Fan aren't you, you little toolbag? :laugh2:

In all seriousness if you're really him, please just deny it.

Who the **** is D 12 fan.

Mr Costanza
12-22-2012, 07:38 PM

Lol nice.

ILLUSIONIST^248
D12fan.

If only i knew what you were trying to say.
but ok fatty what ever you say.

ILLUSIONIST^248
Lol nice.

??

RLundi
12-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Lol you even fail at concealing your identity.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Lol you even fail at concealing your identity.

Lol ok.
I'm not even the biggest fan of howards. He's been pissing me off pretty bad lately.

Tony_Starks
12-22-2012, 07:42 PM
The point is he is doing what his team needs him to do. Just like other players that should remain nameless have to shoot more because THATS what they're team needs them to do.

It's all relative to the team situation. If he was still playing will Eric Snow and Larry Hughes he would be getting buckets.......

Mr Costanza
12-22-2012, 07:42 PM
This was my favorite

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpost.php?p=24086107&postcount=876

majmarcus
12-22-2012, 07:48 PM
another 16 page kobe vs lebron thread coming up

LmbO...you already know

MackSnackWrap
12-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Maybe last year but if you were watching the heat games this year his jumpshot from 3 and midrange is really good, not sure how much more it could improve. Its been solid this year.

MackSnackWrap
12-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I dont see how Lebron wouldnt be able to lead the league in scoring. With an increase in fga and more focus on scoring no doubt that he could average 30+.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I dont see how Lebron wouldnt be able to lead the league in scoring. With an increase in fga and more focus on scoring no doubt that he could average 30+.

30.. sure 37 as spo said,No.

Tony_Starks
12-22-2012, 09:09 PM
He didn't put up 37 with the green light in CLE. Get outa here......

nickdymez
12-22-2012, 09:20 PM
lol you say something that isn't true about lebron, and then when proven wrong you get defensive. i bet you wouldn't say kobe has a bad jumper, and thats why he used him as an example. stats must really be a pain in the *** for you when they repeatedly burst your bubble and show just how much your biased eyes deceive you huh?

**** off

Teeboy1487
12-22-2012, 09:23 PM
No doubt he could if he wanted (Maybe not 37, but 30-33 points), but it's not in his nature. He does not have that mindset. He's way too unselfish to shoot that much. I'm not saying he would be selfish if he shot that much, but he's a passer by nature. He said himself he entered the league as a PG. That is his mindset.

naps
12-22-2012, 09:40 PM
LOL pot meet kettle.

What do you expect from them, seriously?

--23--
12-22-2012, 09:44 PM
:eyebrow: He didn't average 37 pts a game in Cleveland as the only star option though.

bucketss
12-22-2012, 09:47 PM
:eyebrow: He didn't average 37 pts a game in Cleveland as the only star option though.

his team needs him to do other things than just score, if all he did was focus on just scoring and turn the game into a joke than its not far fetched. many superstars can pull this off.

JasonJohnHorn
12-22-2012, 09:47 PM
LeBron's career scoring average will end up being much lower than it could be. If he had the same approach to the game as Iverson and Kobe, he'd be putting up 35+ a night. He is that good. But he is more like Grant Hill in that he likes to get teammates involved and looks to set guys up.

LeBron looks for the TEAM'S best scoring option, not his best scoring option. And that is what a great player should be doing.

Likewise guys like Duncan and Garnett will finish with much lower totals than they could have if they had the same kind of approach as say, Karl Malone had. I think either cuold have as many career points as Malone, but they wanted the team to do well and weren't concerned with their scoring averages.

lakersfan01
12-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Imagine if Lebron was as selfish as Kobe, Lebron could average 40

RLundi
12-22-2012, 10:05 PM
**** off

Awesome refutation. That'll show 'em.

Chronz
12-22-2012, 10:22 PM

But hes the guy you watch most often isnt it? How about you throw some names that you think he belongs with as a shooter and why.

WOwolfOL
12-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Very peculiar, picking that number. It's Jordan's career-high, and seems to me like he was saying he could be scoring like Jordan if he wanted. It's probably true.

AnthonyTyrael
12-23-2012, 03:35 AM
LeBron's career scoring average will end up being much lower than it could be. If he had the same approach to the game as Iverson and Kobe, he'd be putting up 35+ a night. He is that good. But he is more like Grant Hill in that he likes to get teammates involved and looks to set guys up.

LeBron looks for the TEAM'S best scoring option, not his best scoring option. And that is what a great player should be doing.

Likewise guys like Duncan and Garnett will finish with much lower totals than they could have if they had the same kind of approach as say, Karl Malone had. I think either cuold have as many career points as Malone, but they wanted the team to do well and weren't concerned with their scoring averages.

You're right but it also cost him a title when he got himself so much out of the game against Dallas when they needed him in all those fourth quarters. He almost was afraid of taking shots, my impression. However, he wasn't the only one and he did correct it the year after.

Kobe's scoring average was the past 5 years 5 points lower than it could have been too and he passed on a scoring title to Durant...just to mention but you can't compare him, Iverson and others to guys like Duncan and Garnett. It felt extraordinary to see these guys score once more than 23, 24 points over the span of a season.

More-Than-Most
12-23-2012, 03:40 AM
Um Lebron if they would let him could probably avg 50 points a game and I am being serious....He is an offensive force who not many could stop....If he did this though they probably wouldnt win many games..... If he just focused on scoring I honestly think he could put up 40-50 every night.

Sactown
12-23-2012, 03:46 AM
It's funny that an ideal basketball player, makes the best play for the team, and not the best play for himself, and we finally get a player like that and we hate him for it...

More-Than-Most
12-23-2012, 03:48 AM
It's funny that an ideal basketball player, makes the best play for the team, and not the best play for himself, and we finally get a player like that and we hate him for it...

no most hate him out of Jealousy....Most hate him because he is by far the best player in the league and has been for years and will continue to be for years while going down as one of the best ever to play the game....When your that great its easy to hate.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Imagine if Lebron was as selfish as Kobe, Lebron could average 40

Fail.

magic0320
12-23-2012, 05:30 AM
i don't see lebron driving every time to avg 40 or even shoot from every where to even make 50 % or let alone 45 %. he's not scorer who can scorer from every where with all different kinds of moves. he's' just soooo good at everything and that's why he's such a great player not scorer

SirSkyHook
12-23-2012, 05:59 AM
You're right but it also cost him a title when he got himself so much out of the game against Dallas when they needed him in all those fourth quarters. He almost was afraid of taking shots, my impression. However, he wasn't the only one and he did correct it the year after.

Kobe's scoring average was the past 5 years 5 points lower than it could have been too and he passed on a scoring title to Durant...just to mention but you can't compare him, Iverson and others to guys like Duncan and Garnett. It felt extraordinary to see these guys score once more than 23, 24 points over the span of a season.

Considering last season was a bust, I'm still mad at this!

Aust
12-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Funny how whatever team he's on everyone else has to sacrifice but him.

AnthonyTyrael
12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Considering last season was a bust, I'm still mad at this!

I'm still wondering why he did this and why he's now going the exact opposite way again. Surely things didn't work out as he expected them but honestly did he really believe he'd be winning another ring last year? Or this year?

Did he change, didn't he care...what's he doing now? Everytime I think he's getting smarter.. I dunno what he's doing next and what will happen. Early season he took the right shots, his FG% was up, his all around game was great...now he's shooting like hell at any cost...did he lose confidence in his team or what? I don't get it but this is probably why I'm dumb and rather poor while he's a millionaire playing my favorite game while he's going down in history so or so. :D

NYtilIdie
12-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Oh, so we're just going to b***h about Lebron? How refreshing!

justinnum1
12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
why everyone so mad?