PDA

View Full Version : Demarcus Cousins argues with coach

GiantsSwaGG
12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
DeMarcus Cousins didn't really have any attitude issues after Paul Westphal was fired from the Sacramento Kings last season. Cousins and Westphal butted heads a lot in their brief time together. But once Westphal was gone and Keith Smart took over the team as head coach, Cousins seemed to really pull his act together.
I guess he's trying to make up for lost time now. During Friday night's game, the Kings' big man got into an altercation at the end of the first quarter with his head coach. Then after halftime, Cousins didn't see a second of action on the court. James Ham from Cowbell Kingdom has the story:
Following a verbal altercation with his head coach at the end of the first quarter, Cousins was benched in the second half for what Smart deemed “conduct detrimental to the team”.
“We're trying to set a standard for all of our players,” Smart told a group of hungry reporters following the loss to the Clippers. ”And all of our guys that are here (know that). And when guys don't fall in line to that, we've got to move on, we've got to move forward.”
I looked back at the end of the first quarter to see if I could find anything showing the verbal altercation. And while there isn't any video from the Kings' broadcast during that time, there was this play at the end of the first period.

As you can see and hear from Bill Walton on the telecast, the Kings had a foul to give with 4.2 seconds left. Isaiah Thomas picks up Chris Paul fullcourt, but Lamar Odom's (inbounding the ball) defender doesn't come into the picture until you see Paul enter the 3-point line area. That player is DeMarcus Cousins, watching the play develop before Paul drops a 3-pointer at the end of the quarter.
If you're a coach and you watch Cousins not care at all in that situation, you're probably going to have words for him.
As Ham mentions in that article, Cousins is quickly burning bridges with the organization and Smart was one of his last defenders. If Smart is beginning to turn on Cousins, you have to wonder what his future with this franchise is. It wouldn't shock me if Cousins didn't care and just wanted out.
The problem is he's killing his trade value and the Kings are going to be less likely to deal away a rookie-contract guy, even if it's just to get rid of his attitude. The entire organization looks dysfunctional right now, from the top to the bottom. Cousins embodies this perfectly at the moment, after spending most of last season looking like he had figured out how he's supposed to act.
It's just another frustrating showing from the Kings' organization.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21440824/demarcus-cousins-benched-in-second-half-of-the-kings-vs-clippers-game

This guy just doesn't get it

Sactown
12-22-2012, 01:02 PM
You're right, first player ever to argue with his coach that he constantly backs up, cut him now or trade him for a future 2nd rounder. :rolleyes:

Mr_Amaziing
12-22-2012, 01:06 PM
He haves Anger issues.. He haves the potential to become a Legit Center but he doesn't want to show it in Sacramento.

Ino it probably wouldn't happen but how about Perkins and Toronto's 1st rounder for Cousins?

Mr_Amaziing
He haves Anger issues.. He haves the potential to become a Legit Center but he doesn't want to show it in Sacramento.

Ino it probably wouldn't happen but how about Perkins and Toronto's 1st rounder for Cousins?

bloomis1307
Trade him to the Celtics....KG and Pierce would put him in his place

Mr_Amaziing
12-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Sorry Double post

Gators123
12-22-2012, 01:10 PM
You're right, first player ever to argue with his coach that he constantly backs up, cut him now or trade him for a future 2nd rounder. :rolleyes:

“conduct detrimental to the team”

R. Johnson#3
12-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Trade him to the Celtics....KG and Pierce would put him in his place

Cousins is taller than 6 feet so KG won't go near him.

tredigs
12-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Ahaha yeah, NOTHING to see here folks, move along now...

The kid is an absolute wreck, as I've been saying for 2 years. It's a shame his size and skill didn't come with a worthy head. You can't teach stupid. It's a gift.

Sactown
12-22-2012, 01:13 PM

“conduct detrimental to the team” because he talked back to Keith Smart lol... Really not the biggest deal, he apologized to Smart, the team, and the organization. They're moving on

tredigs
12-22-2012, 01:17 PM
because he talked back to Keith Smart lol... Really not the biggest deal, he apologized to Smart, the team, and the organization. They're moving on

and this is what, roughly his 30th conduct incident in the last 2 seasons in one facet or another? I'm sure THIS time will be his last!...

Cancer, dude. He's a cancer.

Infamous916
12-22-2012, 01:33 PM
and this is what, roughly his 30th conduct incident in the last 2 seasons in one facet or another? I'm sure THIS time will be his last!...

Cancer, dude. He's a cancer.
David Kahn is that you?

DoMeFavors
12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Why is he such a rude guy? That is your coaches and you have been in the league 2 years. He needs to be more respectful....no wonder you are losing half your team probably hates you.

JasonJohnHorn
12-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I dunno... a package featuring Evans and Cousins would be pretty appealling to a lot of teams.

popo85
12-22-2012, 02:01 PM
here he goes again

YoungOne
12-22-2012, 02:04 PM
just trade him to us, we will take care of his issues :)

Stuckey#3
12-22-2012, 02:05 PM
I think that any player would be pissed under the following circumstances:

They were an all-NBA talent surrounded by scrubs and more scrubs

The front office drafted a player that plays their exact position.

The ownership is in constant flux and is more concerned about selling the team than improving (Seattle anyone)

Not to mention he has to truck with Jimmer Cricket. And that would annoy anyone.

... Yeah DMC is expressive but he has heart. At least he cares. He will end up a lot more like ZBO than Eddie Curry.

popo85
12-22-2012, 02:17 PM
just trade him to us, we will take care of his issues :)

I was thinking about that, under KG he would really discipline.

JLynn943
12-22-2012, 02:22 PM
It sucks, but we just don't have the coaches or players to put cousins in his place, deal with his immaturity, and develop him into the great player he should be.

rocket
12-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Demarcus is a piece of **** stop trying to defend him you homer

GiantsSwaGG
12-22-2012, 02:26 PM

You ever heard the the term "Cancer"?

bloomis1307
12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Cousins is taller than 6 feet so KG won't go near him.

I don't mean physically, I mean mentally. He drilled big baby all the time so I don't think being over 6 feet has anything to do with it.

PrettyBoyJ
12-22-2012, 02:32 PM
he has no discipline its just that simple..

JdKing7
12-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Dude is such a waste of talent. Why can't someone that actually deserves to go somewhere be blessed with the talent that this guy is probably going to envitably waste.

sep11ie
12-22-2012, 02:34 PM
You ever heard the the term "Cancer"?

Look it up yourself and watch your words.

PleaseBeNice
12-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Honestly, im sick of his ****. this coming from a guy who was ecstatic when we drafted him. just problem after problem. he says he hates losing but he hasnt done **** to change it. SHAPE UP, OR GET OUT. quit acting likr a spoiled brat

GiantsSwaGG
12-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Look it up yourself and watch your words.

Gram did it for me

Oh wait.....

abe_froman
12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
they just need to trade him,i know he was the great hope of fans to be the 2nd coming of webber,but his attitude has always been a question.they need to change the culture,hard working will get you alot more wins than wasted potential

ACanadian
12-22-2012, 02:59 PM
I'd do a Valanciunas for Cousins swap... Cousins is a high risk but a very high reward player, he really does have all the potential to be a franchise player or a super star

Kashmir13579
12-22-2012, 03:04 PM
This guy needs help.

CB29
12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I'd do a Valanciunas for Cousins swap... Cousins is a high risk but a very high reward player, he really does have all the potential to be a franchise player or a super star

WTF. Hell No.

I'd do it for Bargnani and Jose but Valunciunas has a very high ceiling... Hell No bro.

sacgiants1213
12-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Why is he such a rude guy? That is your coaches and you have been in the league 2 years. He needs to be more respectful....no wonder you are losing half your team probably hates you.

Kings haven't had a winning season in 5 years because half the team hates Cousins. I thought it was different reasons, but thanks for clearing this up.

tripleplay2007
12-22-2012, 03:15 PM
We'll take him in OKC.

dee279
12-22-2012, 04:16 PM
He will probably get suspended indefinitely

king4day
12-22-2012, 04:27 PM
He will probably get suspended indefinitely

Adrian Wojnarowski‏@WojYahooNBA

The Kings have suspended DeMarcus Cousins "indefinitely," team says.
:)

dee279
12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
:)

O yeah. Just had to use my intellectual sources on that one. Me and Broussard Has the same sources. They called guessing.