PDA

View Full Version : When teams move, should banners stay?

JasonJohnHorn
12-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I was just thinking about Lenny Wilkens the other day and the title he won in Seattle, and it got me thinking about how, since the Supersonics moved and changed their name, where does that leave the banner?

Do the Thunder have that banner hanging in their arena? It is a part of that franchise's history. The Lakers have all their banners from Minny hanging up in LA.

Should banners stay with the city? Or with the franchise? Would it make sense to have banners hanging up in Minny since several were won there, even though the T-Wolves haven't won one yet?

Does Goldenstate have a banner hanging up there from when the Warriors won in Philly to go with the title they won there? And does Philly have a banner hanging up from when the Warriors won in Philly even though they have one from the 76ers as well?

Do the Hawks have a banner for their title, even though it was won in St. Louis?

Just curious as to what the protocol is. Maybe some fans from around the league can fill us in as to what banners are hanging in their rafters?

Chavacano
12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
I was just thinking about Lenny Wilkens the other day and the title he won in Seattle, and it got me thinking about how, since the Supersonics moved and changed their name, where does that leave the banner? In Seattle with the dormant Sonics.

Do the Thunder have that banner hanging in their arena? No. It is a part of that franchise's history. The Thunder's a completely different franchise from the Sonics. They don't share the same history in that regard. The Lakers have all their banners from Minny hanging up in LA. Because all those championships were won with the same franchise, the Lakers, regardless of the city.

Should banners stay with the city? Or with the franchise? With the franchise. Would it make sense to have banners hanging up in Minny since several were won there, even though the T-Wolves haven't won one yet? IMO, No.

Does Goldenstate have a banner hanging up there from when the Warriors won in Philly to go with the title they won there? Yes. And does Philly have a banner hanging up from when the Warriors won in Philly even though they have one from the 76ers as well? No.

Do the Hawks have a banner for their title, even though it was won in St. Louis? Yes.

Just curious as to what the protocol is. Maybe some fans from around the league can fill us in as to what banners are hanging in their rafters? It's franchise-based and not city-based.

Greedy22
12-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Pretty sure the Thunder do not get any of the Sonics history and rightfully so.

JasonJohnHorn
12-22-2012, 01:51 PM
The Thunder's a completely different franchise from the Sonics. They don't share the same history in that regard.

But the Thunder are the same franchise. It just moved. If the Hawks have a title from St. Louis hanging up in Atlanta, shouldn't the Thunder have one hanging up in OKC?

abe_froman
12-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Pretty sure the Thunder do not get any of the Sonics history and rightfully so.

actuall,they do.its a shared history,but if seattle doesnt get a new team in x amount of years than its okc's outright

as to jason's quiestion: yes,they do have them.i dont know if they are displayed or not.but they are in okc at the stadium(and are suppose to ship them back or copy them if seattle gets a team)

Chavacano
12-22-2012, 02:20 PM
But the Thunder are the same franchise. It just moved. If the Hawks have a title from St. Louis hanging up in Atlanta, shouldn't the Thunder have one hanging up in OKC?

^^ My bad. Both the Sonics and Thunder do share the same history. Regarding your query, yes, they should have.

topdog
12-22-2012, 05:08 PM
It would be silly for the City/State to keep banners when they no longer have a team. Where are they going to hang them?

Thunder/Supersonics may be an exception, but that is because of a whole different set of circumstances.

Everymanalion
12-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I personally think not, the Seattle Supersonics earned those, not the OKC Thunder. I realize the association and they are the "same" team but still...just my opinion, earned, not given.

sep11ie
12-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Well then do the Sonics get Kevin Durant? Since they drafted him...

aussie
12-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Thunder do have Seattles players so i think it's apart of the Thunders history